Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default For Science! The Bristol Experiment OOC

This is the new OOC thread for the ongoing Genius game set in Bristol, Uk.

Main IC thread

Old OCC Thread
    Old IC Thread

Character sheets:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Kings Raven - Lily Clark
    Exalthion - character to be introduced
    ocel - Dr Jacques Costeau
    Mugasofer - John Ayler/Tiresias/???
    Ericaltovilla - Jeremy Nyugen
    LPlate - Dr Barter
    DukeGod - Maximillian Pendragon Hatecraft
    Dozen - Ambrose / Kitbasher
    Last edited by Doran; 2013-09-17 at 06:39 PM.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

2. - Top - End - #2

Planetar

Default Re: For Science! The Bristol Experiment OOC

Here are the links to our old threads, just in case one of us needs to look them up for reference:

Old OCC Thread
    Old IC Thread

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nothing fancy for the wonders. Size 3, Integral Skafoi 2 flier with no other variables.

4. - Top - End - #4

Planetar

I did not spend the four experience points that Plasticsoldier gave us yet. I might waste 'em on merits, like resources and contacts, but for now they'll remain unspent until I decide.

Would Lilly accept anyone's help in repairing her wonders?

5. - Top - End - #5

Nah, this one should be a simple job.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I have been meaning to ask: Doran, is that a snake-totem, no-moon lunar avatar?
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

7. - Top - End - #7

Exalthion: it is yes, it is an exalted version of the nagi Kin from the webcomic Goblins.

What level of extra xp do you think any new characters including Exalthion should start at? ocel, did your character start off as a base, or base + n xp?

Potential players reading this thread, feel free to post your ideas for character generation etc.

I'd like everyone to post a few short term goals for you characters, preferably ones requiring a team - that way I can combine some of those from all of you, and come up with ready made reasons for everyone to go on the adventure.

E.g. you need component x, or to research y, or need cash, or need contacts, or need a wonder as part of the adoption merit.

On completion of the quest, you then recieve (part of) bonus for 'free' - e.g. no xp, but you can't trade it for other things.

Also I was thinking of taking a page from Exalted 3e, and modelling multiple similar combatants as 'fightblobs' - mechanically modelled as one character, which shares 'health', and rolls one attack but can target multiple people with that single roll, any objection?
    Last edited by Doran; 2013-06-20 at 08:13 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Planetar

Well, your predecessor, PlasticSoldier2, gave me fifty experience points to spend on my character sheet, an' I don't see why Exthalion can't have just as much.

9. - Top - End - #9

Sure, I'll bump that up to base + 55xp since there has been adventures since then.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hey hey! A Genius game! I hereby reserve a place for whatever dumb character idea strikes me next.

Oh, come to think, are there any restrictions besides location? And a new character can find out stuff in-character, for the most part, but is there anything they HAVE to know?

11. - Top - End - #11

Restrictions, hmm

I'd ask that you provide reasons for the character to stick with the group, either directly or indirectly (e.g. mention that your character wants to research y, so I can include y as part of the mission for the group giving your character a reason to go along with it). Juicy hooks in your character's backstory aka Aspects in the FATE system would be useful to help draw your character in.

It'd be good for your character to have short term and long term goals, so they can try to accomplish something, giving them the start of a smooth character arc.

I'm probally not going to allow splats outside Genius for now, not having any books outside core, and those would be vital for making rules judgements and creating NPCs.

12. - Top - End - #12

Planetar

It might be awhile before we see their character sheets, so why don't we keep playing until then?
    Last edited by ocel; 2013-06-23 at 11:06 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Just to be clear here:

Can I play a Nazi?

Can I play a Mane with Variables coming out it's ears?

Can I play an Unmada and/or Lemurian?

Can I play a gigantic computer mainframe that interacts with the party only using extremely long ranged wonders?

Can I play a character who lives only to replace flawed mortal flesh with the unsullied purity of his orphaned Automata?

Can I play a character that is incapable of a) communicating with others, b) withstanding the conditions of the surface world or c) coming within 100 feet of any technological device?

Can I play a character who is bound in eternal service to some unspeakable evil, such as a Martian Overlord, the Cold Ones, or True Crystal Dragon Elvis?

Oh, this just occurred to me now, can I play a Clockstopper? They're a splat from the Genius book, so no extra books required!

14. - Top - End - #14

On all of those: depends - can you make it interesting, and fun for yourself and the other members of the party? I'd shy away from intraparty antagonists and sources of friction as we already have one in Alrai.

Clockstopper would be difficult as it'd anti magic the rest of the party from doing cool stuff.

Also ocel, I'm very busy at the moment so probably going to use my little spare time to prepare the adventure. Plus with new char concepts Ican build hooks in. Sooner people start posting their wonders and char sheets I can get the adventure.

While you and King are waiting however, why don't you think of intersting thigs in your character's backstory or goals that I can use?

15. - Top - End - #15

There's also the risk that other party members will try to kill you, so nix the Lemurians, Nazis and Clockstoppers ;)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    On all of those: depends - can you make it interesting, and fun for yourself and the other members of the party?
    Excellent answer :D

I'd shy away from intraparty antagonists and sources of friction as we already have one in Alrai.
    Allies of convenience at the very worst, then. Got it.

... naturally, I now have to play the Clockstopper.

It would have to be a very pragmatic CS, of course, willing to work alongside the party to achieve mutually beneficial goals, but thats the only one I've really got a feel for already anyway.

Clockstopper would be difficult as it'd anti magic the rest of the party from doing cool stuff.
    I've been seeking out some clarification on CS rules, actually, and from what I can tell the antimagic level of Clockstoppers is ... ambiguous. It may be anything from "you can't yell Mania instructions across the room" to "you can't use Mania. At all."

This seems like it might be a deliberate up-to-the ST thing, dependant on how you want their interactions with Geniuses to go; obviously a lenient interpretation would help avoid rendering everyone else's toys expensive lumps of metal and plastic whenever they pass, while a the strictest possible interpretation would basically force you to snipe them whenever they tried to come within 50 feet.

Oh, also, as far as anyone can tell Manes that are missing the spark of true creativity are just as soulless abominations as anyone else; since I'm a big fan of Mane characters and it ties in with the whole "even the unworthy may serve" idea, I'm planning a fairly humanoid Preta. (Who will die fairly quickly if you interpret the effect of Acedia on Mania transfer as strictly as possible, BTW, so that's another reason I'm checking that.)

17. - Top - End - #17

Seriously, many Geniuses including Lilly don't see Clockstoppers as human. More like a natural disaster in human form that must quickly be destroyed. It would be a very short lived Charachter.

You're right that the Trasnfer mania into wonders rules are ambiguous, but the intent clearly seems to be that you can do it. That's why there's rules to make it more expensive and rules to make wonders not work on Clockstoppers.

18. - Top - End - #18

Perhaps a hybrid? Mostly mortal with a bit of clockstopper ancestry? Or a former famous genuis ally who was inverted? Or perhaps a resurrection attempt - perhaps Clockstoppers are the Genius prometheans?

Either way it's up to you guys how to make it work without a lot of bickering. Of course if you go for it, I'm going to need to rule to stop short circuiting interesting fights against other genius by simply trapping them in the antimagic field and the rest of the party using ranged attacks.

Of course, labelling the party 'Pariah' should make up for that.

But yeah if you can come up with a way for the rest of the PCs to (relatively) easily accept you it's fine. Alternatively there's still a lot of Genius/mane conceptual space to explore. Sentient glass swarms, talking black holes, the avatar of a sentient space ship, a psion, a tesseract.
    Last edited by Doran; 2013-07-01 at 08:13 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

DrowGirl

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot that posted in the wrong thread. Reposting in the re-recruitment thread.
    Last edited by Zerkai; 2013-06-29 at 12:53 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Unless we can get OOC agreements or, I dunno, maybe make teaming up Really Pressing ... well, we can't have PC-killing in the first session. back to the drawing board, then.
    Last edited by MugaSofer; 2013-06-29 at 06:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Planetar

I'll get right on that, Doran. Maybe we can brainstorm about it here.

22. - Top - End - #22

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by The Kings Raven View Post
    Nothing fancy for the wonders. Size 3, Integral Skafoi 2 flier with no other variables.
    Oh I almost forgot - mind making the rolls for this in this thread?

24. - Top - End - #24

Inspiration (2) + Intelligence (2) + Science (2) + Specialty (1) + Favored Axiom (1) - Resources (1) - Rank (2)

(5d10)[3][5][9][4][8](29)tens(5d10)[1][9][8][3][7](28)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

OK, I'm thinking an escaped/abandoned Metaptropi-based doppleganger that ended up with personality traces/amnesia after getting a bit too deep "in character" trying to ... well, amnesia's a b***, aint it? Lots of Faults based on backstory plothooks; Apokalypsi that can't detect agents of his old masters; Metaptropi with that one from the sample Variables list that makes it lock up, maybe Automata that can be countermanded by anyone who outranks him ... the idea is he's subconsciously trying to rebuild a cell from the organisation that spawned him, and maybe they'll show up (or he'll find them) and they'll assume command.

(If you give Beholden a Metaptropi disguise that grants them automatic successes on Subterfuge, do you actually need to roll Dirty Work for that? I mean, if you want them to break into a house or snipe someone, sure, but just to have them pass for someone else, infiltrating or whatever?)

I'm still working on the character sheet; I'd forgotten how fiddly XP costs are. Any chance of upgrading to the GMC experience system? *puppy dog eyes*

26. - Top - End - #26

Don't have a copy of it sorry. Plus I don't think Genius has been ported.

Anyway, King, your fault is that the shield vibrates very noisily at harmonic pitch - it is incapable of stealth and even while idling is clearly recognisable.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Anyway, King, your fault is that the shield vibrates very noisily at harmonic pitch - it is incapable of stealth and even while idling is clearly recognisable.
    The rules update is free and none of them have been officially ported.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Genius hasn't been ported yet, no - in fact, me and King (me more than King) are part of the attempt to do so. I just meant that GMC uses simplified, flat XP costs* (and has a mechanic that expands the "XP for RP" and Flaw system, incidentally).

I've gotten back into it, anyway, I was just out of practise. Here's my preliminary sheet; I might want to change a few details if an idea strikes me or I'm interfering with the party's niches somehow, but it should be fairly stable. I've left 10XP unspent; once I've played the character a bit, got more a feel for their personality, goals, how they fit into the Collaborative and so on I'll probably start spending it. Also, hey, you never know when you might decide to grab an Orphan or something.

*I don't have GMC either, but since the rules changes apply to everyone going forward they're available free as a PDF via DriveThroughRPG - I'm a bit iffy about a few decisions, myself, but there are some nice changes and it incorporates a few houserules everyone was using anyway. A damn good deal, being free and all.
    Last edited by MugaSofer; 2013-07-01 at 10:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MugaSofer View Post
    Genius hasn't been ported yet, no - in fact, me and King (me more than King)
    That's because I won't fully commit to any Genius project until Moochava clearly gives his approval. For a GMC version he has to approve of us making Genius v2 officially.

Besides; I just finished porting Princess to the GMC.
    Last edited by The Kings Raven; 2013-07-03 at 04:47 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ahoy! Would it be alright if I joined this! It sounds fun. Of course I'll need some assistance... Briefly, due to inexperience with this particular rules system.