New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Help me find this obscure RPG?

So I've joined a game called "World of Dungeons", and the GM gave us a link to This three page rules handout. This is all I have on the game.

It says at the bottom: copyright 1979, and gave author names, but I can't find anything online about it.

I DID find a link to a Kickstarter called Dungeon World, and they use a similar dice mechanic (2d6; fail on 6 or lower; success with a drawback/price on 7-9; total success on 10+). HOWEVER, the Dungeon World game uses traits including "Defying Danger" and "Hack n Slash", while the handout for World of Dungeons has actual stats and skills, and neither of those are part of them.

I'm shocked that I can't find any mention of this game, which supposedly is from 1979.

Can anyone help me with this?
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Spoiler: DON'T LOOK! IT'S A TRAP!
    Show
    Spoiler: DON'T DO IT!
    Show
    Spoiler: LAST CHANCE TO LOOK AWAY!!!
    Show

Awwwwww, that's just... Well, I did warn you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Help me find this obscure RPG?

You've got it.

No, really.

World of Dungeons is sort of a "reverse clone" of Dungeon World; it takes DW and "de-ages" it some. Dungeon World is to World of Dungeons as 3rd Edition is to B/X D&D, essentially. It was a bonus Kickstarter reward that I think will eventually be fully released.

World of Dungeons cuts down the moves into one move, and uses skills and special abilities to diversify characters. That's all on page 2.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2013-06-15 at 12:17 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Am I gonna dissapoint you if I tell you that this might be it? This looks as if it's just a really light system. Enjoy!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

That might be the full game you have linked, some games are really quite small.

As for Dungeon World, that game was published only a few years ago and is completely different.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    That might be the full game you have linked, some games are really quite small.
    It's definitely the full game.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I refined my searches and got the above answers.

HOWEVER, I'm still not clear on DW, and if there are monsters in that game, or how to pick it up.

I did find This link: WoD Streets of Marienburg

I really want a group to play these games with!
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Spoiler: DON'T LOOK! IT'S A TRAP!
    Show
    Spoiler: DON'T DO IT!
    Show
    Spoiler: LAST CHANCE TO LOOK AWAY!!!
    Show

Awwwwww, that's just... Well, I did warn you.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Dungeon World's compete text is compiled here (doable because of the DW license), and you can buy it here.