New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Best Online tabletop program for shadowrun

I'm going on vacation in a week and would like to continue my shadowrun campaign via skype and some other TableTop program to help my players visualise what's happening. What program should I use?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Best Online tabletop program for shadowrun

Teamspeak? One of the better clients for multi-channel calls.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

My game uses Ventrilo, but that's because I was offered space on someone's server. You might also look into Mumble.

As far as the tabletop is concerned, we use Google Docs to store character sheets. We use a spreadsheet for a battle map, though I find it important to treat diagonals as 5' because of the difficulty of using templates.

I use a room at rolz.org for our dice rolling.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I would suggest using Roll20. It's entirely web based and designed for running RPG's over the net. It really reminds me of Kloogewerks. It has almost all the same features but Kloogeworks requires you do download a server and client programs and pay for them whereas Roll20 is completely free. Roll20 has buit in mapping with fog of war map shading and dice rolling, etc.
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2013-06-15 at 08:40 PM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    I would suggest using Roll20. It's entirely web based and designed for running RPG's over the net. It really reminds me of Kloogewerks. It has almost all the same features but Kloogeworks requires you do download a server and client programs and pay for them whereas Roll20 is completely free. Roll20 has buit in mapping with fog of war map shading and dice rolling, etc.
    Can you tell me something simpler or maybe with automated SHadowrun 4e rules

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nikolamat View Post
    What program should I use?
    Fantasy Grounds has a rule set for Shadowrun.

The rule set supports full character sheets, rolling by double clicking on the skill, automatically notes successes, and a lot more.

Not sure I'd recommend it for a trip though - it'll take a few hours to enter all the info, probably not worth it if you're just going to use it once.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nikolamat View Post
    Can you tell me something simpler or maybe with automated SHadowrun 4e rules
    Unfortunately your not going to find anything with a dedicated shadowrun rule sets. Even Fantasy Grounds requires a bit of front end work before you can use it in your game.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that Maptools has built-in Shadowrun dice rolling. I can't remember the proper command, though.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think im gonna use Roll20 and make some macros. If anyone knows these macros where I only have to put in the attribute/skill i would be grateful.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Maptools has built-in Shadowrun dice rolling. I can't remember the proper command, though.
    Maptool is great, and highly customizable. But it's far from 'easy'. This is mostly due to the state of Java on a given PC, firewall rules, and crap like that. Assuming technical problems are no big deal, you could certainly find a campaign file that has all the macros ready-made.

Given the choice, I would go roll20, especially if it wasn't a regular game.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

This looks pretty useful...
    https://wiki.roll20.net/Shadowrun

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I think the new Shadow Run returns game is supposed to have full campaign creation and multiplayer capability, but that's like, $20 from everyone who plays.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mcbobbo View Post
    Maptool is great, and highly customizable. But it's far from 'easy'. This is mostly due to the state of Java on a given PC, firewall rules, and crap like that. Assuming technical problems are no big deal, you could certainly find a campaign file that has all the macros ready-made.

Given the choice, I would go roll20, especially if it wasn't a regular game.
    I was actually referring to commands that are built directly into the program without customization.

http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Chat:Dice