New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Legend 1.0: Finally Here!

My only legit complaint is that you guys are keeping ability score modifiers (I hate those things) and that KOM/KDM aren't just baked into the leveling progression. Perhaps Legend 2e will have those? Till then I should be happy with this and DtD.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

Ability mods are still useful for a couple of things - a creature may have its pick of KAMs but skills and saving throws are more or less fixed. A creature built around Strength and Constitution will not have much luck with social skills and Will saves, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    "In this game, yo uare expected to refluff everything!"
    No, in this game you are welcomed to refluff everything. You're also perfectly welcome to take everything at face value.

I'm wondering, however. If the fluff is intended to be so mutable, why have it at all in the book? It seems to me that you could just as well have "Dextrous race", "Adaptable Race" and "Hardy Race" instead of "Elf", "Human" and "Dwarf", which are setting specific.
    1) Some people rather like it. It's familiar, it's easy to refer to and relate to.
    2) The races provided are examples, as far as I see. The game specifically provides outlines for how to make your own, and has the standard complement of tabletop fantasy faces as a quick rule of thumb.

What your main problem seems to be, near as I can tell, is that they cut out some of the Jake but not all of the Jake. Tonally, yes, that can be jarring (any Jake is jarring ) but I don't blame the editors and developers at all for missing things that they've probably come to gloss over as a given while hunting for serious issues that could compromise gameplay. They're not paid to do that; it's all volunteers.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

So I hate to be that guy but you refer to Table 2-1 on page 25 in the Quick Start Guide when you mean to refer to Table 3-1.

Edit: Though the title of the table is correct.
    Last edited by Suddo; 2013-06-19 at 04:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently Glanror in the Political Shenanigans campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rankar View Post
    *I may not teach the paladin communism and the concept of the greater good.
    *It is not within my rights to overthrow the established monarchy using the communist paladin.

5. - Top - End - #125

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Suddo View Post
    So I hate to be that guy but you refer to Table 2-1 on page 25 in the Quick Start Guide when you mean to refer to Table 3-1.

Totally fine, and thanks for the heads up. Help collecting typos is always appreciated. Feel free to log any you find here, on our forums.

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by Suddo View Post

No, please be that guy, it means we can fix things!
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Ability mods are still useful for a couple of things - a creature may have its pick of KAMs but skills and saving throws are more or less fixed. A creature built around Strength and Constitution will not have much luck with social skills and Will saves, for example.
    But you can represent those with straight up numbers. Instead of having ability score arrays of 16,16,14,12... and converting those to mods, you can have 3,3,2,1... be the scores.

EDIT: Jake?
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2013-06-19 at 07:19 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    But you can represent those with straight up numbers. Instead of having ability score arrays of 16,16,14,12... and converting those to mods, you can have 3,3,2,1... be the scores.
    But then how would people be able to roll for random ability scores?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    EDIT: Jake?
    Jake was Legend's former design lead. He was replaced in a perfectly amicable process involving no decapitations or maniacal laughter whatsoever, and large sections were rewritten to remove elements of his style that were considered distracting or counter to the current version's needs.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Was this super-recent, like after February. I'm just surprised I had no idea till now. Especially since he's still listed as creative lead.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

Wait a second, so you guys fired Doc Roc?

12. - Top - End - #132

You know, I'm reading over it again. After hte discussion in tihs thread, I now find the system a lot easier to swallow after thinking of it as a basic rule system to build a game and setting around instead of a complete game. I mean, I would rewrite a lot of it to fit my own needs, but I'd say as a basic combat, skill and feat system, it should be pretty solid. Not that I'm a good judge of that, mind you, and I'd probably break it again in the process of rewriting it.

So, apologies if I came over as too harsh.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #133
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Lord View Post
    Nah, if I understand correctly, his bosses at his day job invoked some legalistic crap that restricted how much he could be involved with Legend anymore.

He's definitely still on friendly terms with the design team -- which means that they want to give him credit for getting Legend going even though he's been largely severed from the project. Hence keeping him as the "Creative Lead" credit.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I still find the need of something like a "Hallow Campaign Setting" or something similar, just to give an idea of a possible world for the game.

15. - Top - End - #135

Quote Originally Posted by flare'90 View Post
    I still find the need of something like a "Hallow Campaign Setting" or something similar, just to give an idea of a possible world for the game.
    There's a sneak peek (PDF) in the extra content section.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flare'90 View Post
    Just about anything is a possible world for the game. I think there was even a homebrew Artificer thing for running Legend Eberron.

17. - Top - End - #137

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    You know, I'm reading over it again. After hte discussion in tihs thread, I now find the system a lot easier to swallow after thinking of it as a basic rule system to build a game and setting around instead of a complete game. I mean, I would rewrite a lot of it to fit my own needs, but I'd say as a basic combat, skill and feat system, it should be pretty solid. Not that I'm a good judge of that, mind you, and I'd probably break it again in the process of rewriting it.

So, apologies if I came over as too harsh.
    No offense taken. I can appreciate feedback, harsh or not.

There's a sneak peek (PDF) in the extra content section.
    and more on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Lord View Post
    As a result of a new choice of employment during development, Jacob Kurzer(aka DocRoc) was unable to continue work with us due to a non-compete clause in his new job's contract. We are appreciative of his contributions to the beginnings of the system, though he's not been involved with the game for awhile now. I believe his "official" statement that he could no longer continue was sometime in February on our kickstarter, though it was actually a bit earlier. I've never worked with him myself in my year or so as a developer, so I can't say much beyond that. I believe we plan to announce something on the subject going into more detail, but that's the gist of it for now.

For those worried about the gap this may leave on the team, no worries as the position has been filled. You can rest assured that we're still hard at work on future content for the Monster Guide and upcoming modules.
    Last edited by Geigan; 2013-06-20 at 01:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

But then how would people be able to roll for random ability scores?
    Fudge dice?
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

I've been thinking about how I could get a few character concepts of mine to work in Legend. A light/medium-armoured warrior focusing on speed would probably be a Barbarian with the Path of the Dervish that swapped the Path of the Ancestors for Battle Hardening, using Dexterity rather than Strength as his KOM. A crossbow-using goblin spy would be a Rogue with the offensive track swapped for Reign of Arrows. Not sure what he'd swap Esoteria Radica for, though. The goblin part could be easily done by renaming the Halfling race as one.

So, better than I expected. I still think that the way the character creation process is described is backwards, though.
    Last edited by Morty; 2013-06-20 at 01:08 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I've been thinking about how I could get a few character concepts of mine to work in Legend. A light/medium-armoured warrior focusing on speed would probably be a Barbarian with the Path of the Dervish that swapped the Path of the Ancestors for Battle Hardening, using Dexterity rather than Strength as his KOM. A crossbow-using goblin spy would be a Rogue with the offensive track swapped for Reign of Arrows. Not sure what he'd swap Esoteria Radica for, though. The goblin part could be easily done by renaming the Halfling race as one.

So, better than I expected. I still think that the way the character creation process is described is backwards, though.
    Those would both work. Esoterica Radica can't actually be swapped, but I don't see why it would be discongruous with a goblin crossbow-firing spy anyway. (If it is, then you'd better use Ranger as your base instead.)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

ER doesn't swap; it wouldn't be bad for a spy to have at all, though. And yeah, the character-building could definitely use a cleanup.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Fudge dice?
    5dFb4 would work fairly well
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Those would both work. Esoterica Radica can't actually be swapped, but I don't see why it would be discongruous with a goblin crossbow-firing spy anyway. (If it is, then you'd better use Ranger as your base instead.)
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    ER doesn't swap; it wouldn't be bad for a spy to have at all, though. And yeah, the character-building could definitely use a cleanup.
    I don't really like Esoteria Radica, because I don't like luck-based abilities. Then again, I could just as easily describe them as a result of competence rather than luck. I could go either way, I suppose.

And I guess that the light-armored quick warrior could take Acrobatic Adept instead of Battle Hardening if I wanted to emphasize crazy feats of athletics. Or instead of Path of Destruction, but that might be sacrificing offence for defence a bit too much.
    Last edited by Morty; 2013-06-20 at 03:17 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

5dFb4 would work fairly well
    The second distribution in that link seems to round down all the results, so a 9 gives a 0, and all negative modifiers resulting from an odd score are similarly affected, so the actual modifier distribution would be slightly different.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    The second distribution in that link seems to round down all the results, so a 9 gives a 0, and all negative modifiers resulting from an odd score are similarly affected, so the actual modifier distribution would be slightly different.
    Still, the distributions look similar enough. Also, I fixed the second distribution: link
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking

26. - Top - End - #146
    Bugbear in the Playground

Still, the distributions look similar enough. Also, I fixed the second distribution: link
    I'd rather have the 4d6, honestly.
    Things to avoid:

"Let us tell the story of a certain man. The tale of a man who, more than anyone else, believed in his ideals, and by them was driven into despair."

27. - Top - End - #147

In case anyone isn't religiously checking the front page, we have new character sheets, both a print and an interactive version.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raineh Daze View Post
    I'd rather have the 4d6, honestly.
    Same here white text

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

autocomplete is failing for me...

I've really just given up on anything other than point-buy and ability arrays for attributes. Probably because my stat re-rolls tend to be terrible.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Roll up seven sets of stats using 4d6 drop worst seven times.
    Arrange each new set of seven so it forms a 7x7 matrix.
    Pick the row, column, or diagonal that you and your DM can agree on.

(Some really bad or really good sets of rolls will cause party conflict if your stat totals are clearly superior or inferior, and will just cause stat inflation of your DM's monsters to compensate. Unless the entire party looks like that, and you happen to get a streak like that, and it's that sort of campaign, don't pick that row or column with all 18s. Although if you get such an allocation, consider playing a really MAD class like a monk.)

Depending on how organic you want your characters, you might assign these scores by dropping the lowest and swapping any two and then applying them in order. Or you can just drop one score (usually the lowest) and arrange the scores as if you had rolled them normally.

It's a little bit more work, but it usually guarantees you a stat allocation that doesn't kill your character concept before it begins play.