A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 95
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Yanisa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    It is busy in the ruins of the ex-new-district of Ciarwaith. The expedition sendoff had gained a lot more attention then expected and many nobles houses send an adversary to observe this moment, they seems to be at least curious about a possible new city and are willingly to actively and openly show some level of support. According rumors the queen herself is in the crowd, but if she is she is in disguise because none of the Drows even look related to the royal house. Nevertheless the rumors persist even though the highest rank present is the "assistant to the right of the high priest of Lolth".
    A couple of other priestess are also at the scene, but they keep to themselves and are even seen arguing at times. It is often seen as a bad sign when the clerics of Lolth dispute in public.
    The expedition itself consist of seven Drow that look like a ragtag team of outcast. Not of many of them seem like they are here completely on their own volition. One of the clerics step towards the party and coughs loudly.
    Before you guys go we need to settle a couple of issues. She starts with a monotone tone.
    "The Queen herself demanded that one of take the role of the expedition leader. This role means that you and your house are completely responsible. Success means that your house will be official credited as the founder of our new city and get to the name. Failure means you die somewhere where your body won't be found, hopefully, and you dishonor both your house and the entire city of Ciarwaith. Because failure is a more likely option if you guys are unable to make a decision we will draw name out of a city or something childish like that."
    "Secondly I am forced to remind you that you have some minor funds sponsored by a couple of houses that have too much money. You can ask us for something you feel need for this expedition's success. All request must be evaluated by the supporters so precessing might take days. But they are currently all available here so if you got patience we might get a verdict in a couple of hours. Just remember these funds are not for personal use and not for silly reasons like 'our warrior needs a sharper sword to protects us all.' Be smart and use your brain before bothering us with idiot questions."
    "And to finish this... When you finally are ready we got a first order for the expedition leader. The recent earthquakes have left with us with three tunnels. We don't know how deep they are or how far they go but they at least go further then a week worth of scouting. We got a low tunnel that goes even deeper underground. The scouts reported it is getting warming down there. There is a normal tunnel that seems to stay around the same level as our fair city Ciarwiath. The scouts reported a strange fungus growing on the wall and our alchemist have been trying to figure out what it is. One thing is for sure, it tastes sweet and is poisonous. Not worth a scout to find that out, but they can't all be smart. Lastly there is a crack way up which elevation seems to increase faster then any known road towards the surface. Just remember, we don't want a city on the surface yet. The first order would picking what tunnel to explore first."
    She rattled that all in a rather dull and emotionless speech and ending with a deep sigh. Then she stares at the party impatiently waiting for their responses.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2013-06-19 at 12:44 PM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

    Avatar by Akrim.elf
    ___

    What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    ..

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Runa
    ~


    With the presence of so many of Ciarwaith's citizens, albeit hardly any of them of a noteworthy status in the grand scheme of things, Runa was glad to have chosen a most elegant attire before departing for the tunnels that awaited their expedition. It would make a good impression on the few unaware of House Baen'Azoth's rising status, and give her an air of superiority over the party members that wore armor and weaponry; none of which looked particularly regal. With even Micarnolu at her side, she was certain that she looked the most able to lead the group, though she had little time to analyze the group for potential rebels who could attempt to compete for the role.

    "If I may," Runa began in a precise and elegant tone, practiced finely in the art of proper Undercommon pronunciation, turning her masked face slightly to face the group without turning her back on the Priestess so as to remain respectful to the woman who was a representative of Lolth herself. "I would like to take the role as the expedition's leader. I possess a great deal of experience in leading groups and forming strategies, having pulled my House back into the status of major merchants through a great deal of effort, along with a good deal of knowledge on how to deal directly with whoever peacefully comes across our path, and the power of the arcane to deal with those who fail to respect our authority. And, I would welcome all of your input for whatever decisions we may have to make; we all have our role to play in this expedition, and I would not diminish the effort or skill of any individual." One last pinch of spice, to secure the silence of the rebels who might speak out in private, but wouldn't dare deny the sanctity of female dominance in the heart of their fair Drow city. "And a female leading the group could only serve to improve our chances of success."

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milan, Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Vorian sighed deeply, if only to himself, at this. He didn't want to speak up, he didn't want to put a vote forward for himself, especially since it was a woman asking to lead, and he had only survived by being content to his position. But Vorian needed to stop the assassination attempts, and if the expedition succeeded it would prove that he was a worthy heir, which would hopefully keep his mother from poisoning him. He stepped forward, not particularly impressed by the woman's dress or attitude.

    "Though women are almost always the best choice for leading, and you make many good arguments for why you should lead, I am heir to House Draskel. This means I am one of the few men thought capable of leading, and that position in this expedition is crucial for me gaining experience in this category so I can come back well prepared to take over my House. I can tell you how impartial I would be, but that is hardly worth anything. I'll let my actions support me, and you will find me a fair leader who only exerts influence when it is needed to progress. I'll also deal fairly with others as long as they acknowledge our obvious superiority."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check to hide the actual reasons he was appointed heir, and his own motivations. (1d20+8)[11]


    Vorian secretly hoped he wouldn't be picked, especially to lead other nobles who tended to be far more stubborn than even a normal Drow. But he had to make a real effort if he was going to ensure his survival.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    "And there we go again. Females should this, females should that. Demons take them all to the darkest pit. At least, this one seems to have a bit of intelligence."
    Pharnox takes care to keep his thoughts well hidden, even if he's sure at least half of the males share them. A slow smile appears on his face as he takes a step forwards and bows in front of Runa.
    "The reputation of Runirra Baen'Azoth is well-known and it would be a pleasure and a honour to follow her lead in this expedition. For me at least."
    He sees no need to fight against the inevitable and at least stepping forward to support Runa can make it looks like he's enjoying that situation.
    "Let's hope that expedition gives me some opportunity."

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Micarnolu walked at Runa's side, through keeping carefurlly calculated distance, so her pressence wouldn't take the atention from the mistress. Through that would be pretty hard, even if she actively tried to do it - Lady Baen'Azoth's choice of attire made her elegance and grace overshadow rest of this expedition, especially Micarnolu, with her deeply pragmatical outfit. And so it should be. it's not a place for bodyguard to overshadow the client.

    Seeing how the Draskel man decided to challenge her mistress for leadership, even if with fight over sympathy of the rest of this group. The debate so far had some gender-related context, that Micarnolu found hard to fully grasp. She wasn't stupid, as the way other houses treated males haven't slipped under her attention, but being raised in House which simply couldn't allow itself to consider such things, she always found it quite odd habbit of other Drows.

    Normally bodyguard doesn't have to make a voice in a debate like this. In this istuation hoewer, she decided to add few words, because they were bound to travel together for some time.

    "Pardon me being so blunt to speak." She starts, with traditional bodyguards way of starting the conversation, as she walked closer to Runa. "I'm of the house Hurrnet, on a mission of protecting lady Baen'Azoth. I feel the need to make it clear that my loyalities lies only with the Mistress. I am blade in her hands, but only one person can wield one blade. Even if somebody else shall become the leader of this expedition, I will listen to their orders only if given command to do so from lady Baen'Azoth." Making her loyalties clear, as a good bodyguard should doo in shady situations, Micarnolu walks to stand slighty behind Runa, a place from where she is ready to pretect sorcerress from any assasination attempt, which could happen at this point. As they always do, in worst moment possible.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Saebrae did the best she could to hide her presence among the true nobility of the drow. In order to hide her appearance, her pale skin was completely covered in silver and black cloth, save for her exposed face. Her disguise was not good enough for many citizens of Ciarwaith, to include members of her own House.

    Saebrae was intently listening to Baen'Azoth's proposal when a tomato was hurled at and smashed against Saebrae's head. She didn't react to it at all, minus simply wiping the tomato juices from her face. She was used to being treated like this. Strictly speaking, Saebrae was nobility. But in the eyes of Ciarwaith, she was an outcast, a surface-skinned freak.

    This is why she was here. None of the drow nobility, not even her own family, would care about the girl being used as fodder during the expedition. If she lives and helps discover a new city, she will have served a better purpose for a real drow nobility.

    If she was to be killed during the expedition, a much more likely scenario, she will have served a better purpose for a real drow nobility, anyway.

    Saebrae knew that she would have to prove herself on this expedition, otherwise she would be sacrificed or cast aside at the first possible opprotunity that the rest of the expedition could take. Luckily, she knew the area around Ciarwaith better than any drow in the city. She was confident in that. That was her advantage and mode of survival in this expedition: knowledge of the area, everything between Ciarwaith and the surface.

    She continued to listen to the debate. She didn't really care who was elected as their leader, she just wanted someone to hurry up and pick so that she could get away from the thousands of prying eyes of Ciarwaith.

    Spoiler
    Show

    A general disguise check to hide Saebrae's presence among the crowd. Although I figure some, such as her family, will be able to spot her immediately. Also, she is one of the seven on the expedition, so probably stands out more than she expects.
    (1d20+7)[10]

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Lore232's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Nodding to himself he stepped forward with his skeletal companion following behind him. "My lady Runa " he said with a bow "it is ever the honor to serve such a great house, but I do wonder....." pausing for a moment to adjust his ring. "Have you any experince in expolering the depths of underdark .... have you even left our beloved city befor?" he asked, sighing as he shifted his heavy pack onto his other shoulder.

    "I of course have no wish to stir up trouble but the city needs someone with experance with the underdark." he continued "and I have no doubt you would do a fine job leading us but, like me I belive you have little expeince in surviaving our treachourus homeland." chuckling "For you have had better things to do befor we have been honored to perform this task." and as he finished he bowed his head once more waiting for her response

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check to seem friendly
    (1d20+7)[14]

    Diplomacy for her to see that another should lead in the form of a wilderness expert and leave her as the teams manager.
    (1d20+7)[14]

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milan, Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Replying to the bodyguard. "The role of leader in an expedition like this is more to keep each other from killing each other, and to make decisions that the group cannot arrive to by itself. Anymore would get a Drow killed, especially a man. I would not think to order anyone of you around." Turning to Lore232's character he says. "But I doubt anyone one of us knows enough about the Underdark to make that a deciding factor. Experience or skill in leading is the trait we're looking for."

    "It seems as if this discussion will either end in a tie, or with Runa as the leader, so I will retract my bid for leadership in interest of diplomacy and in keeping these discussions within our group. I do not think it would serve our best interests to let an outside force decide for us."

    Vorian says this to keep it from looking like he backing down from weakness, and to prevent a party rift from forming.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Runa
    ~


    The bowing of Pharnox Sardovic was not something Runa had anticipated was likely to happen, and the response was greeted in her mind as something to keep an eye out for, as lip service was all too common in their society. She would know, as it was her specialty, but she gave a curt not in acknowledgement of the male's gesture regardless. As expected of somebody under her command, Micarnolu remained loyal in a time of brief troubles and pleased the sorceress enough to grant her face the tiniest smile, although unseen behind her mask. And the bodyguard's position remained tactically viable throughout, should a chance assassination occur, complimenting Runa's own preparation for the event. Even as they first arrival, a field of intangible force surrounded her to help protect tender flesh from piercing bolts.

    The necromancer stepped forward to offer his opinion next, though Runa was rather distracted by the gall of the man to bring a member of the undead to their, not particularly, noble affair, and one so grotesque as a skeleton, no less. His point was fairly valid, as she had not committed any of her considerable lifespan to exploring the further depths of their underground domain, but she did not believe that left her incapable, as she had the mind of a tactician that could adapt to most environments without difficulty, and would be more familiar with other denizens of the Underdark than the majority of their group, having dealt with them many times in the past few decades. And, there was something she had gained from paying attention to those that enlisted her to the expedition.

    By the time Vorian opened his mouth, Runa had begun to form a rebuttal, but the others speaking up either in her favor or impartially had apparently swayed his mind. It was good to see that he was wise enough not to continue his challenge. "Your wisdom is welcomed, Vorian." She turned to look towards Yas'in. "I assure you, I am familiar with the denizens of the Underdark from my many dealings, but perhaps I could help sway your concerns with this revalation," She gestured to another one of the seven expedition members, one wrapped in cloth and hiding true self just like Runa herself, but clear enough to her thanks to the group being gathered separately and tracking her since her eyes first landed."Saebrae, if you would please step forward, I would be honored to take you on as my advisor for helping this expedition proceed safely through the Underdark." The small bits of vegetable hanging from the Drow were quite unwelcome, and a poor way of showing one's distaste. "If I may...?" She reacted out two fingers towards Saebrae, gesturing towards the hanging pieces of fruit and allowing her fingers to light up ever so slightly to indicate that she planned to brush away the squishy debris with magic, if the wrapped Drow would allow it.

    Spoiler
    Show
    If Saebrae allows it, Runa casts Prestidigitation to clean the pieces of tomato off of her.


    "And I believe, with those concerns settled, I am honorably determined as the leader of this expedition." Runa gave a nod to the Priestess as an official confirmation of their decision. "Assuming her Grace has told us all she knows of the tunnels, my colleagues, we have the matter of requesting equipment and a tunnel to choose. I would take the advice of all of you before offering my own thoughts for either, so, please, let me hear you."

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Lore232's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Clever little thing he thought as she offered to help the odd drow with her vegtable issue. "If the lady would permit I will swear to your command then." here he coughed buying time to find the proper wording "and conform to your commands." he continued as he thought As long as you stick to the plan that is. He then laid his staff alongside and kneeled befor her, head bowed still. Yet still ever watchful he left his undead graud remain readied but relaxed to prevent any sign of reporch. "For my house is in disgrace and can only hope to serve now." he said, letting a little bit of truth of his situation be know to her. For power is knowledge and control on what you enemy knows is greater still he thought. Waiting for her response he began to wonder which route he should suggest they take.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    Runa
    ~

    She gestured to another one of the seven expedition members, one wrapped in cloth and hiding true self just like Runa herself, but clear enough to her thanks to the group being gathered separately and tracking her since her eyes first landed."Saebrae, if you would please step forward, I would be honored to take you on as my advisor for helping this expedition proceed safely through the Underdark."
    Me? Saebrae thought. What would she request my presence for? Saebrae hesitently moved foward. She really didn't want to, because she wasn't sure what to expect. She forced herself to step up for that very reason. She nodded in response to the question, unsure of what to say, exactly.

    The small bits of vegetable hanging from the Drow were quite unwelcome, and a poor way of showing one's distaste. "If I may...?" She reacted out two fingers towards Saebrae, gesturing towards the hanging pieces of fruit and allowing her fingers to light up ever so slightly to indicate that she planned to brush away the squishy debris with magic, if the wrapped Drow would allow it.
    Saebrae flinched her head back at first, but then allowed Runa to do what she would. Saebrae knew it was always less painful when she didn't resist. She was surprised when she wasn't hit. In fact, Runa's act was one of kindness. Saebrae especially did not know how to respond to this situation. She decided standing rigid was the best course of action. Her red eyes reflexively closed tight.

    Either she is truly kind, or she is devilishly tricky. I don't know if I can trust her.

    "I can help you navigate the underdark... Saebrae stated meekly. She was forgetting something, what was it? She opened her eyes but kept her gaze low, so as not to meet with Runa's. She realized what she was forgetting and quickly added, "...My lady."
    Last edited by Samshiir; 2013-06-19 at 03:14 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milan, Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Vorian thinks for a moment, then says. "As far as equipment food would be great. I don't think we can depend on it while in the wild. For myself I would like some cheap specialty arrows, and maybe a few doses of poison for arrows of course. I don't really care which path we take, honestly."

    He is about to stop talking when he remembers something. "Ma'am." He adds.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    "If I may, Mistress." Micarnolu gets closer to Runa and whispers to her. "It doesn't appear that any members of this expedition posess skills or ability to heal the wounds. Therefore, as your bodyguard I must suggest requesting a supply of items that would compensate for that." She wants to add it's for the case Runa would get wounded, but at last minute decided not to. It would make her look bad as a bodyguard.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Even if somebody here has some healing wands or something liek this, I assume Micarnolu has no way of knowing that.
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2013-06-19 at 12:28 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Pharnox makes a small bow before speaking.
    "Food would be helpful of course but I guess you don't plan to carry everything yourself my lady. It could be best to bring slaves with us."
    "And at least, they should be useful to disarm traps.. "

    "Honestly, I don't care which tunnel we'll explore but I'll put a vote on the one that goes deeper underground."

    Spoiler
    Show
    I can cast cure light wounds but you are right, Micarnolu can't know that.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    The Drow of disgrace kneeling before Runa was an ostentatious display that she saw little need for, not even from her closest of servants, as it almost always required an exaggerated form of subservience that only the most egotistical of their kind would fall for. Besides, perhaps, an action that would show true obedience under the command of a superior, though she didn't want the necromancer's filthy mien anywhere around her unless he made sure to clean himself thoroughly. A nod was given in return anyway. Next was the reaction of the curiously-wrapped Drow, a flinch that told of past abuse and an expectance of punishment. Such was hardly unexpected, given the vegetable matter that previously adorned the girl's elegant wrappings. They were certainly not traditional, but, like Runa's own mask, had something of an exotic appeal to her fashion sense.

    "Thank you, Saebrae." Next, was to deal with the suggestions of Vorian. "As her Grace already mentioned, things such as a sharper sword, arrows, or poisons are not practical uses of the money spared by our generous patrons." She took note of Pharnox's added suggestion of food to their diet. "Indeed, though I've prepared a personal store of food, it would be beneficial to carry a large stock for those of us who lacked the foresight to purchase such things. I will present two options for such. As for slaves...I fear they would only intrude upon our already scarce resources, and any slave skilled enough to accompany us would be the subject of many bidding wars, and too valuable to send along with us. As for myself, I believe a map of the nearest explored land through the tunnels would be suitable." Listening next to Micarnolu, she gave a nod in her bodyguard's direction for her valuable contribution, before offering her own thoughts on the route they should take. "The tunnel leading further down seems to be the best choice; warmth is something most of us should be able to handle with little stress, whereas potentially deadly fungus is something the hardy Duergar of the Underdark would be more fit to handle; and we are more likely to find such allies the deeper we go, and they will be able to aid us in that matter. The route to the surface has the drawbacks of both potentially making our presence known to those on the surface and being unsuitable grounds for a new city."
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2013-06-20 at 01:11 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    "My lady, if I may make a suggestion. Saebrae waited a few seconds for Runa's approval. Whether approval came within a few seconds or not, she continued anways, because she wasn't used to dealing with other drow directly, "If we are to continue deeper into the underdark from here, we may need more than a simple map to prevent us from getting lost." Saebrae made sure to keep her gaze to the floor as she spoke.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know if compasses exist in this world or not. If not, perhaps something that can cast Know Direction occasionally.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Arkanian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Orgollol leaned against a wall in the shadows, watching the proceedings. There were a few things that he might have wanted, but he didn't particularly feel like drawing attention to himself by asking for them.

    Ultimately though, anything he might need could easily be harvested from the Underdark or the corpses of the other expedition members.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Yanisa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    The Drow priestess stood motionless for the party barely responding to anything they do or say. She does frown at the thrown tomato and mumbles "Everyone's getting childish.". When Runa finished talking the priestess says: "Congratulation on deciding a 'leader' without making me do more work for this failed plan. As for the funds I advise you to make a list instead of shouting possibilities." She frowned at Vorian's request but doesn't say a thing. "But now that you got a leader you can just pick a tunnel and depart, unless you want to wait hours fort he requested funds. Leaving now will put us all out of our misery faster."

    The crowd of adversaries has fallen silent and is curiously listen to the group debating among itself, treating this like some king of arena fight.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

    Avatar by Akrim.elf
    ___

    What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    ..

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    "Excellent point, Saebrae." With her companions' opinions offered, and her own, Runa turned to face the Priestess. "Your Grace, I would first request something of my own thoughts. Any maps of the routes we will be taking or nearby areas will be sufficient both for guiding and knowing whether certain grounds are already known as unsuitable for our expedition. A compass would allow us to use the maps to their full functionality. Secondly, there is the crisis of food, for which there are two options that wouldn't require carrying hefty backpacks; which could potentially halt our progress through narrow tunnels if they're unable to fit. One such solution is a wand that could create food and water for us, on demand, for a limited amount of time; but such an item would cost something in the area of five thousand, three hundred, and fifty gold pieces. Alternatively, each of us could be gifted with rings of sustenance, which would cost somewhere around six thousand, six hundred and fifty gold pieces in total, but would be unlimited in use and could be returned with our success. As well, some measure of healing would be welcomed, and a wand that should be mostly sufficient for our immediate needs should cost around three hundred and fifty gold pieces to manufacture. As well as some scrolls, for potentially foreign afflictions. If there are no further objections, our choice would be the tunnel that leads deeper into the darkness." With her attention devoted fully to the Priestess, she gave a small submissive bowing of her head. "I hope our long list of requests does not offend the sensibilities of your Grace or our Noble Patrons. Farewell."

    With that, and not wishing to test the Priestess' patience any further, Runa gestured along the path that would lead to the deeper tunnel and began to follow it.
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2013-06-20 at 01:57 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milan, Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Vorian waited long enough to show that he wasn't at Runa's beck and call then began following. He made sure to remain far enough away from her to avoid the bodyguard's ire. That one seems likely to stab first and forget about asking questions. He would breathe easier knowing they were out of the games the courts play. Honestly he would much rather either fail on the expedition or succeed and fail to return to this pit of vipers.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Pharnox bows to the Priestess and begins at once to follow his new leader, whistling softly a profane song, keeping his thoughts for himself.
    "At last. Let's get rid of that city, I'll burn something if I stay much longer here. Something or someone."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Edited because those were thoughts, not spoken aloud
    Last edited by Njall; 2013-06-21 at 11:32 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Micarnolu stayed close to her mistress, all the time observing the einvorment and also their companions. No, they were companions of Lady Runa, Micarnolu was here only as her blade. Still, she couldn't resist but feel some sort of connection to them. She had to pull her will to not shrug, when albino had been hit by a tomato - showing compassion to outcast could be good for lady Runa, but for her bodyguard would be a sing of weakness her mistress' enemies could use to remove obstacle Micarnolu was.
    She remembered to keep an eye on the one wh ostarted talking about burning. Crazy ones were always the worst. In one minute they're chatting friendly with you, in another you have to cut their head off, to stop them from suffocating you and you'll never know why.
    Heir to Draskel House on the other hand appeared to be reasonable, but she decided to approach him with caution in the future. Sings of common sense didn't mean he wasn't dangerous, quite the opposite.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Saebrae wasn't sure exactly where to be when the expedition left. At first, she stayed near Runa, but when she caught eyes with Micanorlu, Saebrae quickly decided it was a bad idea.

    She then decided to stay toward the back of the group so that she could keep an eye on everyone in front of her. She realized that several of the others were thinking along the same lines, and had refused to let her take the back of the expedition.

    In the end, Saebrae simply kept her distance from everyone, not too close nor too far away so as to cause attention to herself. Blending in, thats what she learned to be best at. Though she was at a disadvantage with this expedition, because everyone here knew both Saebrae's name and...condition.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Yanisa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Marching Order:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Vorian <--- Front
    Saebrae
    Micarnolu
    Runa
    Yas'in
    Pharnox <--- Back


    The tunnel is narrow and slopes steadily downwards, the ground, walls and roof are jagged and uneven. Every couple hundred feet there is a small mark in the wall left by the scouts to indicate they have explored this far. As the group descends it is getting hard to move at a steady pace. Often the floor is too sloped and other times the path is so narrow they can only squeeze trough it without wearing their backpacks.

    After a couple of hours the expedition encounters a ravine intersecting their tunneling. It seems to be pretty deep and dark and stretches out both to the left and the right. The gap is about 30 feet width and the tunnel seems to continue after the ravine. A single rope is spanned across it, probably left by the scouts, although that would be careless of them.

    The first three, Vorian, Saebrae and Micarnolu can see the ravine but the Drows after them have no idea why the group suddenly stopped.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2013-06-25 at 12:29 PM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

    Avatar by Akrim.elf
    ___

    What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    ..

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Micarnolu approaches Runa. My Lady. She whispers. "May I request premission to socut the path ahead of us? With your premission, I would go first and guard the other end of the rope, until you shall not descend."

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    With a bevy of people in front of her, Runa couldn't quite see what Micarnolu could have been referring to that would have changed, besides the sound of water that echoed through the slim tunnels. "One moment, please." She replied to the bodyguard, levitating upwards a few inches to see over the heads of her forward-facing companions before landing her feet on solid ground once again. Turning her mask towards Micarnolu, she nodded. "You may scout ahead, but be careful. The handiwork of that bridge is slipshod, and may be a trap by something that knows more of us than we'd suspect. As such, I suggest testing the waters and the rope itself before any of us cross its threshold. Needless injuries should, obviously, be avoided."
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2013-06-23 at 05:01 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Saebrae suspects that something is not right. She will examine the area for traps or anything else out of the ordinary, but will specifically not say anything (for now) if she does find something.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+6)[11]


    Also, Saebrae picks up a rock and tosses it down the ravine, listening for the rock to hit the bottom.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milan, Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    "If you do not mind, ma'am, I'll Levitate across the ravine, and make sure no one is there. I can be stealthy, if I have to be."

    Spoiler
    Show
    If Runa does not object Vorian will cast Levitate and cross the ravine by pulling himself along by the rope. He'll work to do this stealthily. Stealth: (1d20+8)[19]
    He'll also keep his eye open. (1d20+2)[7]


    "If someone has a spare rope, that would cover us if someone burns the rope or otherwise eliminates it. Without that I'd have to descend into a deep ravine that might be bottomless for all we know. Or full of troglodytes

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Hazuki's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    "I am very aware of our capability to levitate, Vorian, as I previously demonstrated. My fear is that somebody has prepared specifically for us, as well as said ability, and some form of obstruction is in the air itself. Or, something waiting just beneath the depths to snatch you from the air." In truth, she was slightly irate at the insinuation that she somehow didn't know that they could levitate, but chalked it up to a mistake in the man's head rather than any true insult. "My concern is for the expedition's safety, including yours, so please consider that before you go leaping over the ravine." With that mild chiding over with, she looked over to Saebrae. "I would prefer to know whether your search has revealed anything, before testing the area with a minor cantrip, Saebrae."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+1)[5]

    Knowledge (Dungeoneering): (1d20+3)[20]

    Runa has constant Detect Magic on, so please let me know if anything magical is present.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

    Pharnox observes silently, using levitation to see over the heads of the others.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Perception : (1d20+3)[6]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •