New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Daughter

Bard 2, Wiz/Sor 2, conjuration (summoning), the effect is to summon a fiendish ape (as SM III, although not dismissible). The fiendish ape summoned by the spell is not under the caster's control; she attacks whatever target is nearest. The ape is wearing a party dress and has a bow in her hair.

I figure that the lack of flexibility and control warrants a drop in level for what is basically a refluffed summon monster III.

Tasha's Hideous Laughter is actually a great spell to refluff. I have read of versions where it causes painful spasms instead of laughter (same mechanical effect). I suppose that one could cause waves of pleasure, too. (BoEF, anyone?)

What spells are refluffed in your campaign? Do you use misspellings as inspiration for new spells?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Daughter

I lol'd at the spell name! The party dress is a nice touch
    Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    Evil Guy: Your reckless display of power shall have a steep price today, mageling! *attempts to throw an undisclosed number of babies in the fiery pillar*
    You: NOOOOOOOOOOO!! *hero point => standard action (dismiss spell)*
    Babies: *bounce "harmlessly" off the ground*
    Evil Guy: Damn you, sorcerer! This is not over!!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, while the ape thing missed me, the idea of a THL that causes pleasure is kind of interesting. So.. What, they'd uncontrollably moan or something??? I saw a post where someone said they had a PC cast THL on a foe that had went underwater. :l Pretty powerful spell.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

I've been playing around with the idea of a "Tiny Hut" spell that's a gingerbread house. The walls can be eaten but after so many HP damage to the hut, the spell disappears.

That and a "rope trick" spell that elongates one's hair and can be used the same way - climb the hair to enter a pocket dimension. In this manner, the person whose hair grows is either the last person up or the first person to descend.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

this is awesome, why dont we just make this thread into a place to post humorous spells :O
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

At level 3, you're summoning a CR 3 creature for 3 rounds... It definitely feels strong, but this would be something you're using instead of haste or fly so I guess the balance is fine.

The "attack closest foe" is kind of moot, since the range is close so you've got the range to place it wherever necessary. The real reason this is balanced is because every summon spell is terrible. It would probably be OK to drop every summon spell down a level (with some exceptions on the low and high end), but that's neither here nor there.

I commend your imagination, sir.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

This thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113213

Cause Beer
    Conjuration (Summoning)
    Level: Brd 1
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: One living creature with 5 or fewer HD
    Duration: Until beer is washed off
    Saving Throw: Will partial
    Spell Resistance: Yes

The affected creature is splashed with a full tankard of beer that appears in thin air and winks out of existence once it is emptied. If the subject fails on a Will save, it is shaken for 1 round. Creatures with 6 or more Hit Dice are immune to this effect.

Cause beer has been known to start bar fights.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-06-20 at 07:26 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Lots of inspiration on this page too. Or here.

The latter thread links to spells not worth memorizing. There are some goodies there. I like "Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Flatulence". A renamed stinking cloud perhaps?
    Last edited by Cheiromancer; 2013-06-20 at 07:54 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Hideous Daughter
    Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
    Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. +5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: One female creature; see text
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell afflicts the subject with disfiguring acne. It collapses into wails of despair, falling prone. The subject can take no actions while sobbing but is not considered helpless. After the spell ends, it can act normally.
    A creature with an Intelligence score of 2 or lower is not affected. A creature whose type is different from the caster’s receives a +4 bonus on its saving throw, because teenage angst doesn’t “translate” well.

Material Component
    Tiny chocolate bars that are thrown at the target and a washcloth that is waved in the air.
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-07-21 at 04:48 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Cause Salivation
    Enchantment (compulsion) [mind affecting]
    Level: Bard 0, Sor/Wis 0, Druid 0
    Components: V
    Casting time: one swift action
    Range: close
    Target: one nonhungry creature
    Duration: Instantanious, See Text
    Saving Throw: Fort negates
    SR: Yes
    The creature becomes moderately hungry and begins to salivate. If the creature does not eat within 1 minute, it begins to drool the saliva that has built up in his mouth. This lasts until the creature eats any sort of food.
    Last edited by Zelkon; 2013-06-20 at 08:32 AM.
    Akrim.elf made my wonderful ponytar.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Curse that infernal yellowish-brown text right under comics! When shall you turn normal brown again?" -every OOTS fan ever.
    I support laziness. Call me Z if you can't be bothered to spell my full name.
    Come help build a fantasy setting!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    The real reason this is balanced is because every summon spell is terrible.
    They're only terrible if you're expecting them to be damage spells. They can be amazing if you're using them strategically to occupy multiple squares (prevent from being flanked, prevent opponent escape, etc), to give your rogue flanking when nobody else is near, etc.

Anyways, I do agree that the Hideous Daughter spell isn't too powerful. I think it is awesome all around!
    Evil Guy: Your reckless display of power shall have a steep price today, mageling! *attempts to throw an undisclosed number of babies in the fiery pillar*

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OzymandiasX View Post
    They're only terrible if you're expecting them to be damage spells. They can be amazing if you're using them strategically to occupy multiple squares (prevent from being flanked, prevent opponent escape, etc), to give your rogue flanking when nobody else is near, etc.
    Tactical considerations on such a small scale (e.g. one square or fewer) are only important at very low levels, which is when summoning spells last 1-3 rounds. Taking an entire turn and telegraphing your summon to bring in a 5hp speed bump is absolutely not worth it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    Tactical considerations on such a small scale (e.g. one square or fewer) are only important at very low levels, which is when summoning spells last 1-3 rounds. Taking an entire turn and telegraphing your summon to bring in a 5hp speed bump is absolutely not worth it.
    Your mileage may vary. I used then to to great effect in the low-mid level range with my last caster I played.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Another fun line of spells would be to refluff the anibuff spells to provide debuffs instead. For example, bull's grace reduces dexterity (especially in china shops!), while cat's strength does the same for strength (maybe it's a renamed ray of enfeeblement?). I'm not sure what the other debuffs would be called. Lemming's wisdom? Vulture's splendor? Goldfish's cunning? ... hmmm. Still need something for lowered Constitution...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheiromancer View Post
    Another fun line of spells would be to refluff the anibuff spells to provide debuffs instead. For example, bull's grace reduces dexterity (especially in china shops!), while cat's strength does the same for strength (maybe it's a renamed ray of enfeeblement?). I'm not sure what the other debuffs would be called. Lemming's wisdom? Vulture's splendor? Goldfish's cunning? ... hmmm. Still need something for lowered Constitution...
    Actually, I'd go with cat's endurance, and shove the Str booster over to eagles or owls. Bear's splendor, maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity