New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [D&D 3.5 base class] The Ghostly Warrior

The Ghostly Warrior is a fighter-stylized class who revolves around illusions and confusing the enemy. The goal of a Ghostly Warrior is simple: become a one man army. When you fight one warrior from beyond the phantom wall, you soon fight two such warriors...then three...then four...

Lore and inspiration:

Ghostly Warriors are trained in monasteries, where they learn to fight not only as themselves, but as all of the fallen warriors of the Phantom Wall. During years of assassinations, conquests, and crusades the Brothers of the Phantom Wall have embarked on, they lost many of their once great legions, and they had been pushed back. In the Battle of Seven Steps, Thirik Hanstarse, the Brother’s rather useless pacifist monk, had a revelation: His fallen friends could still aid him. Pushed back into his study and about to be executed by a rather angry commander, he leapt up and punched him square in the chest out of desperation...and instead of stabbing him, the commander dodged a second attack! Confused, Thirik looked to find his ill fated rescuer...only to find himself. Soon, more of him began to show up. After only a little bit, twelve of Thirik took on his assailants, eventually pushing them back out of the study. Thirik fled, and began to teach his strange ways to a new Brothers of the Phantom Wall.

As for inspiration, I play a lot of DotA 2, and became obsessed with Phantom Lancer. Naturally, I started wondering how to play my strange legion in a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. So, uh, yeah. Not much else to say. I plagiarized a video game.

Special Mechanics

First off, the most important part: that unique, fun thing each class has, a la rogue sneak attack, or wizard spells, the druid’s wild shape, etc. The illusions!

So how do these ones differ from normal minor image spells? Well, first off, they are semi autonomous. Remember they’re controlled by fallen souls. Act like it! When an illusion is created, put a miniature down, you’ll need to remember where he is. While illusions deal no damage, they can certainly can soak it up! Weapons go through illusions, as it’s nothing but a trick of the light, but in the heat of battle, monsters and creatures often stop as they hit a target, which allows the illusions to perform VERY realistically. A DC 15(+1 per 2 levels) will save will counteract this and disbelieve them. You can also control them separately. They all move in the same turn as you, and get one standard action in the round they are created.

Onto the classes statistics;

Hit dice: d8

Skill points: 2+int modifier

Class skills: As fighter

Ghostly Warriors are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and are proficient in the use of light and medium armor and shields, excluding tower shields.

{table=head]
    Level
    |
    BAB
    |
    Fort
    |
    Ref
    |
    Will
    |
    Special

1st|+1|+0|+2|+0|Multiplicative strike (10%), Create illusion (1/2)
    2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0|Multiplicative strike (20%), Illusionary stride
    3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|Evasion
    4th|+4|+1|+4|+1|Multiplicative strike (30%), Create illusion (2/2)
    5th|+5|+1|+4|+1|Multiplicative strike (40%), Tripping phantasm
    6th|+6/+1|+2|+5|+2|Multiplicative strike (50%), Invisibility 1/day
    7th|+7/+2|+2|+5|+2|Create illusion (3/2)
    8th|+8/+3|+2|+6|+2|Improved Evasion
    9th|+9/+4|+3|+6|+3|Compounding attack (+1)
    10th|+10/+5|+3|+7|+3
    11th|+11/+6/+1|+3|+7|+3|Multiplicative strike (60%)
    12th|+12/+7/+2|+4|+8|+4|Create illusion (3/3), Invisibility 2/day
    13th|+13/+8/+3|+4|+8|+4
    14th|+14/+9/+4|+4|+9|+4|Compounding attack (+2)
    15th|+15/+10/+5|+5|+9|+5|Arsenal images, Multiplicative strike (70%)
    16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+5|+10|+5|Multiplicative strike (80%), Create illusion (4/3), Invisibility 3/day
    17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5
    18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6|Multiplicative strike (90%)
    19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6|Truthful image, Create illusion (5/3)
    20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|Multiplicative strike (100%)[/table]

Abilities explained:

Illusions: The illusions created by a Ghostly Warrior differ from minor and silent image in that they are slightly more real. While they cannot deal damage, they act as if they do for purposes of flanking. When disbelieving the illusions, a will save is granted only when they interact with something. So an illusion that stands around looks very real, whereas one that attacks would grant a will save. If an illusion is disbelieved, it stays in play, but cannot produce an image form multiplicative strike on the target that disbelieved it, and cannot act as if it deals damage to the non believer. Illusions act in the same turn as their master, and upon being summoned, are granted one standard action on the turn it's summoned in. The weapon an illusion wields is always non magical, but appears to have the same enchantment as the master's. This enchantment does not count towards attack rolls or damage from Truthful Images. The illusion's master can issue it orders as a free action. Illusions can be destroyed by weapons. Illusions are treated as having the same hit points as the master for this purpose. If the master dies, the illusions are dispelled.

Create illusion (x/y): Creates x illusions that last for 1+(level) rounds, and can be cast y times per day. They cannot produce multiplicative strikes.

Multiplicative strike: The Ghostly Warrior’s signature skill, every time a Ghostly Warrior or one of his illusions successfully hits with an attack, there is a chance to create an illusion of herself. The illusion appears to be nearly an exact copy of the Warrior. The Warrior has full control of the illusion and it acts in her turn. Illusions make attacks, but deal no damage. This is useful, as it can be used to cause a good fight for your party, or to set up a flank. You may only have 1 illusion/2 levels (minimum 1) from this ability at any one time.

Attacks made with a melee weapon adds +5% to multiplicative strike, as does attacking with a reach weapon.These benefits do stack, so a longspear adds +10%, while a whip adds only +5%, and a longsword adds +5%. If a melee weapon is thrown, it counts as a ranged weapon for purposes of multiplicative strike.

Illusionary Stride: The Ghostly Warrior becomes slightly ethereal, mimicking their ghost heritage, allowing them to walk through spaces occupied by opponents without provoking attacks of opportunity.

Evasion: Works as the Rogue's evasion. This effect is bestowed on illusions.

Tripping Phantasm: Illusions can make trip attempts at -2 penalty.

Invisibility: The Ghostly Warrior may cast invisibility as a Wizard of half his level.

Compounding attack: Every time an illusion hits with an attack, it lets the others know how an opponent will react, adding a bonus to the attack roles of the others. As the name implies, this stacks. So, if Azwraith is a 14th level Ghostly Warrior, and he has 5 illusions out, they will attack in a random order, with him always last. If all five illusions hit, he will gain a +10 circumstance bonus to his attack. The stacks only count on illusions that the target believes, and only work on a single target. So if Azwraith has his illusions attack one target while he attacks another, he gains no bonuses.

Arsenal Images: Illusions may now be created using whatever weapon the Warrior chooses. So even if the Warrior herself is holding a longbow, she could choose to create a spear toting illusion. The weapons are non magical, even if the wielder's weapon is magical.

Truthful image: Illusions are now somewhat of a piece of the physical plane, and deal half damage to targets. Illusions can no longer be disbelieved.

And that concludes it! Any criticism (provided it’s constructive) is more than encouraged, as I’m a bit certain there’s something I screwed up/forgot. Thanks for reading my first ever homebrew!

Note: this has never been playtested, and may just be broken in tons of ways. I have no idea whether or not this thing is any good. Please help me by reporting things that seem overpowered/underpowered, as I’m going almost completely on intuition. I’m not asking you to play one to level 20, but maybe to level 8. Thank you.
    Last edited by Amridell; 2013-06-27 at 05:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5 class] The Ghostly Warrior

{table=head]
    Level
    |
    BAB
    |
    Fort
    |
    Ref
    |
    Will
    |
    Special

3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|Bonus feat
    6th|+6/+1|+2|+5|+2|Multiplicative strike (50%)
    8th|+8/+3|+2|+6|+2|Bonus feat
    10th|+10/+5|+3|+7|+3
    12th|+12/+7/+2|+4|+8|+4|Create illusion (3/3)
    13th|+13/+8/+3|+4|+8|+4
    16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+5|+10|+5|Multiplicative strike (80%), Create illusion (4/3)

That should be a lot better for a table. In the future there is a table making tutorial on the site here

Edit: Code
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head][CENTER][B]Level[/B][/CENTER]| [CENTER][B]BAB[/B][/CENTER]| [CENTER][B]Fort[/B][/CENTER]| [CENTER][B]Ref[/B][/CENTER]| [CENTER][B]Will[/B][/CENTER]| [CENTER][B]Special[/B][/CENTER]

3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|Bonus feat
    6th|+6/+1|+2|+5|+2|Multiplicative strike (50%)
    8th|+8/+3|+2|+6|+2|Bonus feat
    10th|+10/+5|+3|+7|+3
    12th|+12/+7/+2|+4|+8|+4|Create illusion (3/3)
    13th|+13/+8/+3|+4|+8|+4
    16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+5|+10|+5|Multiplicative strike (80%), Create illusion (4/3)
    Last edited by Virdish; 2013-06-26 at 04:29 PM.

Extended Homebrew Signature

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Everyone asleep in their beds in the middle of an attack on the city.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5 base class] The Ghostly Warrior

THANK YOU. Updating the OP now.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not a problem, someone did it for me the first time I posted a class here so I figured I would return the favor. Give me a bit and i'll look over the class and tell you what I think.

EDIT: I am a bit confused with the way things are worded. Your multiplicative strike doesn't seem to have a cap on it unless the cap is meant to be the illusions. In which case I find it strange that you can create more illusions then you can cast. If multiplicative works do you just summon your total number of illusions or does one appear. Also I would avoid per day abilities as the classes main shtick, especially since this guy has so few. There is room for a lot more here. Right now this guy is doing more damage then a fighter but he still suffers from the fighters problem in that the only thing he is good at is doing damage. Also Truthfull image comes online far too late in the progression. Flanking is great but a +2 to hit for you and your allies isn't that great when it's all you can really do with them until 17th level
    Last edited by Virdish; 2013-06-26 at 04:50 PM.

Extended Homebrew Signature

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Everyone asleep in their beds in the middle of an attack on the city.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the concept of this class. i would recommend taking a look at the ghost face killer PrC and glean some abilities from it.

other than that, it looks liek a pretty solid class. you need to specify what type of illusion create illusion are exatly, for example Create illusion (x/y): Creates x illusions that last for 1+(level) rounds, and can be cast y times per day. These illusion act as if they are created from silent image.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ngilop View Post
    I like the concept of this class. i would recommend taking a look at the ghost face killer PrC and glean some abilities from it.

other than that, it looks like a pretty solid class. you need to specify what type of illusion create illusion are exactly, for example Create illusion (x/y): Creates x illusions that last for 1+(level) rounds, and can be cast y times per day. These illusion act as if they are created from silent image.
    So just provide more detail into the illusions? Working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaotiq1 View Post
    In addition to Ghost-Faced Killer, I suggest you consider these links as well:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa....new;boardseen
    That does fit the same theme, of trying to confuse opponents into submission.

Cleared up how illusions work by adding a section on them in the mechanics themselves. Hope this makes it more clear and work better. I also realized I forgot class skills and skill points. I should go back and put those in.
    Last edited by Amridell; 2013-06-26 at 05:27 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

In addition to Ghost-Faced Killer, I suggest you consider these links as well:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa....new;boardseen
    "Bender knows love, and love doesn't share itself with the world. Love is suspicious, love is needy. Love is fearful, love is greedy. My friends, there is no great love without great jealousy!"- Bender Bending Rodriguez

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, you might want to try (Improved) Evasion, as otherwise one fireball is sorta endgame.

You should also add some way to use the illusions out of combat -- say, make an illusion appear that can test for traps, or go ahead to trigger attacks, etc. Some form of hiding for the main creature would also be interesting, if your basis was Phantom Lancer. Perhaps invisibility at will at 11th level? Might sound broken, but theres a ring that does it for a mere 20k, and the ring still isnt that good...

A way to make your illusions more real to special senses would make this a much more credible opponent (blindsense, mindsight, etc. Look at Darkstalker for more ideas).

Short range teleportation would increase the versatility of this class immensely, even if only 5ft/5 levels as a swift. Healing by consuming illusions would also be pretty helpful. You could take a leaf from DFA or huskar and make it heal only up to 1/2 or 3/4 health.

As with former posters, I would suggest adding a limit to illusions, perhaps 1 per 2 levels? Especially seeing as every attack by every illusion adds more illusions, I feel like its a bit ridiculous getting infinite illusions in your first round. A bit much even for 20th level. (consider a regular attack. You hit them, and have a 100% chance of getting an illusion. The illusion has a bow and rapid shot. It shoots, and hits, spawning two more illusions, both of which get standard actions and shoot THEIR longbows, etc.). Also, specify that the weapons of the illusions are non-magical (otherwise you'll find a PL with illusions of himself that have splitting bows)

I find your fluff a little confusing -- why are they copies of him if they are souls of his allies? And what if none of his allies died in the area? Instead, perhaps, splitting his soul would work better? I know thats not quite what PL's original fluff is, but...eh.

Etc etc. Mostly my advice is, get some more ideas in there. You're very focused on the illusions, which is good, but so far the only things they can do is spawn, trip, and give insane bonuses to hit. Try doing some more things with them!
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demidos View Post
    Also, you might want to try (Improved) Evasion, as otherwise one fireball is sorta endgame.

You should also add some way to use the illusions out of combat -- say, make an illusion appear that can test for traps, or go ahead to trigger attacks, etc. Some form of hiding for the main creature would also be interesting, if your basis was Phantom Lancer. Perhaps invisibility at will at 11th level? Might sound broken, but theres a ring that does it for a mere 20k, and the ring still isnt that good...

A way to make your illusions more real to special senses would make this a much more credible opponent (blindsense, mindsight, etc. Look at Darkstalker for more ideas).

Short range teleportation would increase the versatility of this class immensely, even if only 5ft/5 levels as a swift. Healing by consuming illusions would also be pretty helpful. You could take a leaf from DFA or huskar and make it heal only up to 1/2 or 3/4 health.

As with former posters, I would suggest adding a limit to illusions, perhaps 1 per 2 levels? Especially seeing as every attack by every illusion adds more illusions, I feel like its a bit ridiculous getting infinite illusions in your first round. A bit much even for 20th level. (consider a regular attack. You hit them, and have a 100% chance of getting an illusion. The illusion has a bow and rapid shot. It shoots, and hits, spawning two more illusions, both of which get standard actions and shoot THEIR longbows, etc.). Also, specify that the weapons of the illusions are non-magical (otherwise you'll find a PL with illusions of himself that have splitting bows)

I find your fluff a little confusing -- why are they copies of him if they are souls of his allies? And what if none of his allies died in the area? Instead, perhaps, splitting his soul would work better? I know thats not quite what PL's original fluff is, but...eh.

Etc etc. Mostly my advice is, get some more ideas in there. You're very focused on the illusions, which is good, but so far the only things they can do is spawn, trip, and give insane bonuses to hit. Try doing some more things with them!
    The "instantly get infinity illusions" thing was something I actually refreshed the page to change. I like the teleport idea. I plan to do a much more versatile illusion based spellcaster with more versatility. As for illusions springing traps, I suppose that's up to the DM. I guess you could just create some illusions and have them walk around.

The lore needs a lot of work, it was thrown in much more abruptly than the rest of it. If anyone with a better talent for creative writing wants to do something with it, please do.

And escapes and versatility? I'm liking the invisibility, it fits, continues the trend of ripping off PL, and gives him the chance to do some scouting occasionally. The teleportation I'll probably throw on to the other class.

I like the illusion theme because I feel like enchantment and illusion are two very underdeveloped concepts in D&D and I wanted to give them some viability in combat as well (that isn't sleep).
    Last edited by Amridell; 2013-06-26 at 06:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Virdish View Post
    Not a problem, someone did it for me the first time I posted a class here so I figured I would return the favor. Give me a bit and i'll look over the class and tell you what I think.

EDIT: I am a bit confused with the way things are worded. Your multiplicative strike doesn't seem to have a cap on it unless the cap is meant to be the illusions. In which case I find it strange that you can create more illusions then you can cast. If multiplicative works do you just summon your total number of illusions or does one appear. Also I would avoid per day abilities as the classes main shtick, especially since this guy has so few. There is room for a lot more here. Right now this guy is doing more damage then a fighter but he still suffers from the fighters problem in that the only thing he is good at is doing damage. Also Truthfull image comes online far too late in the progression. Flanking is great but a +2 to hit for you and your allies isn't that great when it's all you can really do with them until 17th level
    So, when should you get Truthful images? I'm really new to building my own classes from the ground up, so I appreciate any help, really.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Have the illusions be half as real as the Multiplicative Strike percentage or something. Scales a bit strangely, but not bad, and you get some damage to start with (I'd say minimum 1 damage, even at 5%) and still hit half at the end.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<