New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: OOTS #896 - The Discussion Thread

Nah, the only misleading part of the answer was that it didn't account for Xykon going to Azure City before Girard's or Kraagor's gates. The answer was unambiguous that he would eventually go to Girard's, and would do so before going to Kraagor's.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

Someone please explain this to me: Why does V think that destroying the gate will cause genocide upon that world? The Sapphire Guard gate was destroyed, and that world seemed all fine... What's different about the desert gate?

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

My speculation for some time has been that the plan of the Fiends centers on gaining control of a Gate and using it to unleash the Snarl on the gods. Destroy the gods - perhaps the evil gods as well as the good - and the fiends may figure they can then dominate the Outer Planes. Especially if the Snarl also kills a lot of celestials in the process. So, the plan may be to possess V, kill or restrain the Order (I'm betting on "restrain", both for story reasons and just so the fiends can enjoy making the Order "watch as all you love dies screaming!"), and then take control of the Gate and begin the rampage. A fiendish spirit or a clerical soul splice may serve to make up for the lack of a divine caster.

At some point something stops them naturally; at this point probably Xykon shows up. In the ensuing fight the Gate is broken, and that fiend's time on V runs out. But possibly not until major damage has been done. Imagine for example the reaction of Durkon to finding out that not only is he a vampire, but Thor is obliterated.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    Two Paths? Could that be a reference to Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven?

I remember two paths at Sunday school. Might be time for V's redemption.
    I figured that it was just a reference to V and the rest of the Order finding two separate paths to the Gate.

Quote Originally Posted by nerd-7i+42e View Post
    But morals aside, there's another, much more basic reason not to destroy the gate (sorry if this has already been said, I didn't have time to read the whole thread): the Order will all die. This is what happened when the first gate was destroyed. This is what happened when the second gate was destroyed. Do you really want to be at the center of that?
    The actual first Gate destroyed was Lirian's Gate in Start of Darkness, and Redcloak was literally standing right next to it and suffered no injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

The real question is: how does releasing the Snarl help the Fiends? The Lower Planes would be in just as much danger from the Snarl as the Upper Planes, the souls of everyone on two worlds would be snuffed out (meaning no Larvae to turn into new Devils, Demons or Yugoloths) and no more mortals to ever tempt. We're missing an important part of the IFCC's long-term plans, and that is worrying!
    In The Crayons of Time, it's mentioned that it's "theorized" that the Snarl because of its nature is actually more deadly to gods than to non-gods; the fiends might figure they can handle it.
    "The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Question 1: Why are the fiends taking charge of V now? The elf is shown as just about helpless and useless. They are not wanting 20 minutes of futile. Why waste their time?
    Answer: V is going to get recharged. Probably not respliced. That was a once in a century event. Also the fiends are afraid of the consequences of the spell. Just how and how much, we can't tell, but they flee the scene of the crime. Casting the spell could have been quite risky for them and a 2nd casting out of the question. So a new set of spells is much more likely. Anyway V will gain a way to get to the gate.
    Question 2: What will he/she do?
    Answer: She/he will not destroy the gate. That is what Roy is about to do. They don't need to do a thing to achieve that goal. And even if V was likely to intervene to defend the gate, they could make the wizard change sides later and that would be better for them.
    Rather, they want to "help" V defend the gate, and take it over. While we know very little about how much the fiends know, they are presumed to be of god level and able to learn a lot once they knew of the gates. Finding a way to control a gate should be well within their ability. They will need some ritual, which will take 10? minutes, but they see this as quite doable. [The intervention of Team Evil or LG is dramatically certain, but maybe none of them have any bard levels. And the highly intelligent do highly stupid things quite often.]
    V may con the party, or just blow them away. Either way the elf starts the ritual and gets interrupted by LG or X.

5. - Top - End - #275

DruidGirl

I am SO startled!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sockmonkey View Post
    Isn't Xykon headed for the other gate that's left? Roy posed a complicated question to the oracle about it and wound up tricking himself and when he figured it out the spell on the valley made him forget.
    Roy's question was (summarised): Between Girard's Gate and Kraagor's Gate, which one will Xykon go to first? The flaw in his questioning is he forgot about the (extant at the time) Soon's Gate, which is the one Xykon was heading for presently.

Quote Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
    Someone please explain this to me: Why does V think that destroying the gate will cause genocide upon that world? The Sapphire Guard gate was destroyed, and that world seemed all fine... What's different about the desert gate?
    It's less that destroying this Gate will destroy that planet, but the point that what the Order believes is not the whole story, and acting on incomplete knowledge could make things worse. It's also that Vaarsuvius is still reeling from what happened at Lunchtime, and is drawing the conclusion hastily.

This was a bloody effective gut punch. Showing restraint in not hinting about the IFCC - mention of Qarr aside - until the final panel really enhances its effect, especially as we don't know what they're about to do or how that will further their ends. Top notch stuff.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

wow
    just...awesome

V character's arc is on par with the best literature I've ever read...truly amazing

Seems to me that the Fiends are just activating the Imp for some reason...
    All that we see or seem
    is just a dream within a dream

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think Rich may have hidden an important plot point in this strip, and then distracted us with the fiends:

Spoiler
    Show
    Blackwing's comment about whether everything they know about the Snarl and the gates may be wrong.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Canisius View Post
    I think Rich may have hidden an important plot point in this strip, and then distracted us with the fiends:

Spoiler
    Show
    Blackwing's comment about whether everything they know about the Snarl and the gates may be wrong.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's echoing what's already been said when this plot point was first introduced. This is just a logical extension of that thought.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-06-28 at 05:03 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm.... I do think it would be intersting to see a super-charged, refreshed Darth V again, but this time he is completely and utterly evil (as he is literally taken over by the fiends). Maybe another soul splice is risky, maybe not. All they really need is a somewhat powerful arcane mortal host, I presume, but with their control over V, I would expect some terribly smart, efficient, and evil things being done.

It would even be better if Xykon came in just around that time, and out of everyone, recognizes V, which would probably both confuse and piss the hell out of Roy. Then maybe we get an epic rematch, although this time with the fiend's control, V will probably start winning (even against redcloak and MitD too), BUT, I bet then Tarquin will intervene in Xykon's favor, hoping to glean whatever the heck Nale tricked him into thinking he could gain from him. Of course, that would be a big mistake...

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The fiends apparently want conflict to be sustained (or that's what they want Quarr to think), so it's in their best interests to destroy the Gate, or otherwise prevent Xykon or Tarquin getting their hands on it, but make sure the Order doesn't die in the process. Were I them, I'd fake a last Epic defence of Girard's activating, teleporting the Order to a "random" location and hiding the whole pyramid again. Girard never took Epic Spellcasting, by the Order doesn't know that. With Vaarsuvius acting as a medium, the archfiends would be more than capable of that.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My understanding is that V doesn't think it as much as believing that it is a possibility. It makes perfect sense to prevent something that may result in a planetary genocide. Or even just to pause a very important action decided on possibly wrong premises.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I don't understand why Roy wants to destroy the gate. Maybe Xykon is already there and they might have to fight him, but do they really gain anything from destroying this gate? If they destroy this gate then Xykon is just going to go to the next gate and he'll get there a LOT faster than OotS. The only good characters we know who might be at Kraagor's gate are O'Chul and Lien and while O'Chul is a bad ass and Lien took some levels since last time, they will be a lot easier for Xykon to deal with than it will be for Xykon to deal with a OotS, even an OotS without Durkon and a weak Belkar and a V who might or might not be available. Don't forget that OotS might be able to strike up a temporary deal with the new LG about fighting Xykon together. And again, the alternative to a showdown is that Xykon just teleports to Kraagor's gate while OotS is stuck in the desert with a hostile LG. Even if they do destroy the gate and somehow manage to get to Kraagor's gate faster they are just going to be in the same situation again, Xykon is about to show up and now they can't destroy the gate because it's the last one.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Barbarian in the Playground

My predictions have a pretty pathetic success rate, so this one is probably wrong:

The IFCC will make V...do nothing.

There is no point in making V destroy the gate, because Roy's going to do that already. If they wanted the gate preserved, they have no need to take control of V. V's already drawing attention, the OotS would likely stop and figure things out if the pounding continued. In V's silence, Roy will almost certainly destroy the gate in under the few minutes that the IFCC has control.

However there's no point in them making V, for example, attack anyone, either. Maybe V could kill the remaining OotS (doubtful) but all that would do is leave the gate between the upcoming Xykon/Tarquin showdown, which is where things are going anyhow. V almost certainly does not have the power to take on either evil force alone, and the IFCC wouldn't throw V away so soon.

V has not yet shown any ability to bring in forces from another world, such as teleport and gate. In fact, V can't cast some of them. So it seems unlikely the IFCC could take direct control of the gate themselves, either.

And V has just demonstrated inability to call anyone for help, ether physically or magically, in the time before the gate is destroyed.

So what's left? Doing nothing.

15. - Top - End - #285

So Z and Durkon just summoned two fiends... I very much doubt it, but I wonder whether or not they might somehow be IFCC plants.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    My predictions have a pretty pathetic success rate, so this one is probably wrong:

The IFCC will make V...do nothing.

There is no point in making V destroy the gate, because Roy's going to do that already. If they wanted the gate preserved, they have no need to take control of V. V's already drawing attention, the OotS would likely stop and figure things out if the pounding continued. In V's silence, Roy will almost certainly destroy the gate in under the few minutes that the IFCC has control.

However there's no point in them making V, for example, attack anyone, either. Maybe V could kill the remaining OotS (doubtful) but all that would do is leave the gate between the upcoming Xykon/Tarquin showdown, which is where things are going anyhow. V almost certainly does not have the power to take on either evil force alone, and the IFCC wouldn't throw V away so soon.

V has not yet shown any ability to bring in forces from another world, such as teleport and gate. In fact, V can't cast some of them. So it seems unlikely the IFCC could take direct control of the gate themselves, either.

And V has just demonstrated inability to call anyone for help, ether physically or magically, in the time before the gate is destroyed.

So what's left? Doing nothing.
    Augmenting V's power and seizing control of the Gate? Seems the obvious explanation from where I sit.

17. - Top - End - #287

I don't think fiends spent a once in 100 years splice to get V to do nothing.

Dark one has spell that gives him control, they likely have similar that gives them control.

A more complicated variation would be they actually need to taint the Dark Ones spell, and X and R are about to show up. Chance that we get further climax as X finds out about R's betrayal.

I suspect what was told about Snarl is basically true but not the full truth... Snarl has been growing/"evolving", Snarl may be one of the sides rather than just a force of chaotic destruction now.
    Last edited by multilis; 2013-06-28 at 05:51 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Pixie in the Playground

Even if the fiends seize control of V, Blackwing's still there to pass the 'DON'T DESTROY THE GATE!' message. If nothing else, the Order might finally realize Blackwing talks independently of V, if s/he says one thing and the bird another.

Avatar by me ; more art available on my deviantArt page.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaximKat View Post
    That's not Qarr's eyes, that's the peephole.
    Quote Originally Posted by luc258 View Post
    Those are not Qarr's eyes. Those are holes in the wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Those aren't Qaar's eyes. They're peepholes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ooOoo View Post
    Not eyes, pinholes, see panel 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hajutze View Post
    eyes ? Those are "periodic pinholes".
    Super ninja!
    Quote Originally Posted by prpl View Post
    I don't understand why Roy wants to destroy the gate. Maybe Xykon is already there and they might have to fight him, but do they really gain anything from destroying this gate? If they destroy this gate then Xykon is just going to go to the next gate and he'll get there a LOT faster than OotS. The only good characters we know who might be at Kraagor's gate are O'Chul and Lien and while O'Chul is a bad ass and Lien took some levels since last time, they will be a lot easier for Xykon to deal with than it will be for Xykon to deal with a OotS, even an OotS without Durkon and a weak Belkar and a V who might or might not be available. Don't forget that OotS might be able to strike up a temporary deal with the new LG about fighting Xykon together. And again, the alternative to a showdown is that Xykon just teleports to Kraagor's gate while OotS is stuck in the desert with a hostile LG. Even if they do destroy the gate and somehow manage to get to Kraagor's gate faster they are just going to be in the same situation again, Xykon is about to show up and now they can't destroy the gate because it's the last one.
    You're also forgetting that all the gates originally had very powerful defense mechanisms, and Girard's gate has now lost all of its defenses, while Kragor's gate (as far as the order knows) still has all of them.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2013-06-28 at 05:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It makes sense to me. The Order knows that the defenses at Girard's gate is down, while the defenses at Kraagor's gate probably are not. Also, I am not sure if the Order knows whether Xykon knows where Kraagor's gate is.

One does not simply teleport into Kraagor's gate.

21. - Top - End - #291

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    So Z and Durkon just summoned two fiends... I very much doubt it, but I wonder whether or not they might somehow be IFCC plants.
    Technically, "summoning" a creature instead of "calling" one means that an extension of the spellcaster's will is manifesting as a living creature, rather than taking a real creature and teleporting it from somewhere else

... However, the Cleric version "Planar Ally" is a call rather than a summon, so even though Z only created an evil Patronus, the real fiend that D called could very well have been working for the IFCC, so never mind, your point stands better than does my "rebuttal"
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

22. - Top - End - #292
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, first of all:
    Great plot recap, everyone!

I am also inclined to believe that the fiends won't do anything concerning the gate but letting Roy destroy it. They said they want conflict without either side gaining the upper hand. Right now, that means to destroy the gate and see all the teams strife over the last one. Also, there is no point in bringing Darth-V back. On the contrary, the fiends will be subtle, just silencing her (and probably doing something sneaky) but not going full kaboom. And moreover it seems to me that leaving V to suffer from her past decisions (more) after the posession while still not telling anybody would make more sense storywise.

The planet within the rift puzzles me greatly, though...

And also:
    holding the universe's pants
    and:
    when in doubt, set it on fire!
    English is not my native language, pls be kind to my grammar

23. - Top - End - #293
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    I'm fairly sure that, even after being vampirified, Durkon still wouldn't be so foolish as to consort with plants. They would surely be allies of his wooden foes.
    Last edited by Wraithlord; 2013-06-28 at 06:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post
    They don't know that there are any people (or animals, plants or single celled bacteria) living on that world, its just that after making callous assumptions when she cast familicide, V is no longer willing to gamble with the lives of innocents.
    There is visible greenery on the other world. That's peripheral to the main point, however, which is sound.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The wording they used- that V's soul would spend time with them, in return for their gift- seems to imply that V's soul will therefore not be in V's body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    And having V's body fall lifeless to the ground for half an hour would stop the yelling and knocking.
    Darn, I thought I was clever for having through of this.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow..

Even if the fiends seize control of V, Blackwing's still there to pass the 'DON'T DESTROY THE GATE!' message. If nothing else, the Order might finally realize Blackwing talks independently of V, if s/he says one thing and the bird another.
    That might mean that Blackwing will die as a result of V's Actions under the control of the Fiends. As may Belkar. Which calls for the question if V will be capable of retaining his mind, somehow, while under control and thus witnessing his actions but is unable to stop or alter them..

I'm afraid

26. - Top - End - #296
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

1 hour is far too much time to take control of a character for plot reasons, especially if given the ability to circunvent travel distances, so i don't think V will get the ability to teleport again from a splice or other related method.

My prediction for the far future though is that just as his "lease time" is about to end and if he gets teleport as part of his devil powers, then one of the fiends will make him/her kill his mate and children just for the evulz, further driving home the pointlessness of his actions and finnaly sending him/her flying over the slippery slope of insanity.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Heksefatter View Post
    It makes sense to me. The Order knows that the defenses at Girard's gate is down, while the defenses at Kraagor's gate probably are not. Also, I am not sure if the Order knows whether Xykon knows where Kraagor's gate is.

One does not simply teleport into Kraagor's gate.
    Then why are they assuming Xykon knows where Girard's gate is? And while the defenses at Kraagor's gate might not be down, they know what kind of defenses they are because Shinjo told them that Serini had made a gate in Kraagor's spirit - a dungeon with the strongest monsters possible. While Xykon got defeated at both Lirian's gate and Soon's gate, he was perfectly able to brute force Dorukan's gate and brute force is what Kraagor's gate seems to be all about and Xykon is good at that and Roy knows this.

Though I guess maybe they just want to destroy the gate and regroup before Kraagor's gate since the party has taken quite a hit since they entered the pyramid. I still think that's just to pretty much give up since there is no way they can get to Kraagor's gate faster than Xykon.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

THIS gate is completely defenseless, and the OotS has no reason to think the Linear Guild will turn around and help them after trying to kill them this whole time. Destroying this gate is the only way to stop it from falling into evil hands.

Kraagor's gate, on the other hand, is presumably fully defended. There is not a single reason to think its defenses have fallen, and even if Xykon teleports there first he has to deal with those defenses before he can get near the gate. Considering how strong the other gate defenses have been, the last one is probably going to be really hard for him to crack.

So it's a safer bet for the Order to make Xykon go to the last, fully defended hard to penetrate gate, rather than sitting there in the desert with no defenses and the Draketooths (Draketeeth?) all dead.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Nice to see this go from an Order of the Stick vs. Linear Guild thing into a no-holds barred multi-faction slugfest. I look forward to Xykon's arrival now.

V doesn't think there will be genocide. V's problem is that there could be genocide, they don't know and V is scared that Roy is acting on incomplete information and would make a different decision if he knew there was a planet on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Augmenting V's power and seizing control of the Gate? Seems the obvious explanation from where I sit.
    I'm mostly in this camp.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Darn, I thought I was clever for having through of this.
    The idea that V's soul will leave hir body is clever, and might be effective here. On the other hand, as I agree with Math_Mage's idea, I would suggest that the IFCC might fill that body with an alternate soul or possibly modify V's soul while they have it and then send it back with some powerups and rather specific direction.

Regardless of the specifics though, the IFCC do seem to have a specialty in soul manipulation, so I think that taking over V and doing some super evil power stuff would be cooler and more interesting than just making V comatose for half an hour.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

30. - Top - End - #300
    Firbolg in the Playground

Then why are they assuming Xykon knows where Girard's gate is? And while the defenses at Kraagor's gate might not be down, they know what kind of defenses they are because Shinjo told them that Serini had made a gate in Kraagor's spirit - a dungeon with the strongest monsters possible. While Xykon got defeated at both Lirian's gate and Soon's gate, he was perfectly able to brute force Dorukan's gate and brute force is what Kraagor's gate seems to be all about and Xykon is good at that and Roy knows this.

Though I guess maybe they just want to destroy the gate and regroup before Kraagor's gate since the party has taken quite a hit since they entered the pyramid. I still think that's just to pretty much give up since there is no way they can get to Kraagor's gate faster than Xykon.
    Xykon wasn't able to brute-force Dorukan's dungeon. It took him a long time camping outside, and even then he had to rely on Dorukan's psychological weakness to draw him out.