New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #896 - The Discussion Thread

I can just imagine V's eyes going orange, V's voice appearing in white text beside V's head (like with the soul splices' voices), asking in horror "what just happened" and Cedrik's voice saying:

"Why so surprised- I did SAY your soul would spend time with me."
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2013-06-28 at 02:02 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tass View Post
    Indeed. You cannot do this with passive acoustics. That is, you could make them easy to hear like that, but that would work the other way too.

For one way spying - whether we are talking sound or light - you either need a large difference in background, such as one side of the "one way glass" being brightly lit and the other dark, or you need active devices such as microphones, cameras, loudspeakers and screens.

There didn't seem to be a lot of noise around the rest of the order which would have drowned out Vaarsuvius' voice, thus we have to conclude that magic is involved. (Or more likely that the author doesn't know and doesn't care about such technicalities.)
    Not really... It's rather simple physics. Take a glass and knock on the bottom. You'd hear the knock much better on the "top side" of the glass (where its rim is) than at the "bottom side", due to it's near-parabolic shape. Even better INSIDE the glass (which is more or less the case in this strip) thanks to the echoes magnifying the sound. Or simply think of a simple conical paper megaphone... Works only one way too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock Zipporah View Post
    Hmm, now that you mention it, they HAVEN'T been seen in the same place at the same time! Tarquin will no doubt be captured, at which point Elan will pull off his rubber mask and reveal that it was Old Man Hinjo who was behind the haunted amusement park!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Belucard avatar by me.

Older sig quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    Let's not let a little thing like facts get in the way of interpretations.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

I wonder if the IFCC has ever visited the Oracle. They seem to have had a pretty good idea that V would someday be in a position that they could take advantage of.
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dric_dolphin View Post
    But what about the "leaving your body lifeless" part? "Lifeless", IMO, equals to "dead". Can you return the soul to the body afterward?
    Here is how the magic jar spell works: the caster places his soul into a special receptacle (a gem) leaving his body comatose and helpless for the duration of the spell. The caster can then try to force a target's soul out of her body and into the receptacle; if successful the caster's soul possesses the target's body.

Ghosts and some Fiends are able to mimic the effects of a magic jar spell, without needing a receptacle. Ghosts need to have the Malevolence special attack, and Fiends need to have magic jar as a spell-like ability. A Ghost needs to manifest and try to move into the target's space; if the target fails a Will Save the Ghost vanishes into the target's body and takes control.

If the terms of V's contract with the IFCC work like a magic jar spell, then V's soul will be removed from her body, leaving it catatonic. Then one of the IFCC directors (in this case Cedrik) will possess V's body.

This all assumes that the terms of the contract will work like a magic jar spell. For all we know it won't.

Spoiler
    Show
    What I predict is that V's soul will be forced to watch what happens on the IFCC's blood-plasma screen TV. Sabine may be there to keep V "company".

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Imminently, the debates over whether the contract permits the fiends to possess Vaarsuvius whenever they choose will be replaced with debates over how the fiends possessed Vaarsuvius without Vaarsuvius being dead
    Pixie dust.

6. - Top - End - #246

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post

Ghosts and some Fiends are able to mimic the effects of a magic jar spell, without needing a receptacle. Ghosts need to have the Malevolence special attack, and Fiends need to have magic jar as a spell-like ability.
    There aren't many fiends exactly like that- the Shadow Demon from BoVD is one of the few.

The usual way is for the fiend to have the Possessor Fiend special trait (BoVD, FC1) or for the fiend to have taken sufficient levels in the Fiend of Possession prestige class (Fiend Folio)- such fiends can possess mortals without using a Magic Jar spell-like ability.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2013-06-28 at 02:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

I'm too lazy to flip through the thread, but wasn't Belkar with Nale when Shojo retold the backstory? Belkar being Belkar, I assume he just wasn't paying attention, but he theoretically knows everything Nale knows, and Nale knows about the Snarl.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

He was playing with Mr. Scruffy.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    There aren't many fiends exactly like that- the Shadow Demon from BoVD is one of the few.

The usual way is for the fiend to have the Possessor Fiend special trait (BoVD, FC1) or for the fiend to have taken sufficient levels in the Fiend of Possession prestige class (Fiend Folio)- such fiends can possess mortals without using a Magic Jar spell-like ability.
    Well there we go, there is a glatt kosher way for the IFCC directors to invoke V's debt while she is alive: Fiendish Codex I is a legal 3.5 sourcebook. And if anyone complains that the IFCC directors shouldn't all have the Fiendish Possession special trait, my response is: we don't know what species Lee, Nero and Cedrik are. Lee is a powerful Devil, but is he a Pit Fiend? An Ice Devil? Nero is a Yugoloth, but is he an Ultroloth? An Oinoloth? Cedrik is a Demon, but is he a Balor? An Obyrith? The answer is: we don't know and it doesn't matter! If the story requires the IFCC directors to be able to possess V while she is alive, they will possess V while she is alive. That's how the Anthropic Principle works. Having a way for it to work in a 3.5 D&D game without invoking "house rules" is just a nice bonus.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ha, my most loved IFCC group is back again. I just love these guys. I only wonder what they will do, actually I could imagine to save or destroy the gate could be in both cases in their likeing, depending on what their long time plan is.
    Last edited by Selphares; 2013-06-28 at 02:35 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh crud! At first I thought the fiends were calling in their little imp to cause havoc, but then I re-read the terms of V's agreement and came to a different conclusion. Way back at V's deal with the devils, V stated his assumption that he had to die before the soul would become property of the fiends. The fiends never agreed to that -- the fiends never stated V had to die first. Potentially they could take over control of his soul at any point -- even while alive.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

How V's going to be possessed is not really important. What's important is - WHEN we'll have the next comic!

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post
    Well there we go, there is a glatt kosher way for the IFCC directors to invoke V's debt while she is alive: Fiendish Codex I is a legal 3.5 sourcebook.
    BoVD has even appeared in-strip, as as Fiend Folio:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0431.html

14. - Top - End - #254
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Also, I don't belief V has the benefit of soul-splice, so Darth V will not have any powers beyond those of normal Vaarsuvius. Which are still impressive but nowhere near the threat level of ultimate arcane power Vaarsuvius. Well, unless the soul splices are re-applied in the next strip.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    That depends. The IFCC are going to make use of at least part of their V-time immediately, but what exactly happens to him will depend on their needs. If they need her to be a font of unlimited arcane power, then he'll be respliced (they get control, they start a fresh splice and command her to agree to it). If they intend to be more subtle about it, they won't, and use the opportunity to convince the others that the route they want is the right way to do it.

They might just take the spliced route just so they can fix it in two rounds (one to D-Door, one to annihilate the gate if they want it destroyed; or a bit longer to teleport, nuke the hell out of LG/Team Tarquin, return with dwarf remains as proof and a plan to deal with Xykon+Redcloak if they don't want it destroyed). Either way they won't need *all* of their V-time.

Seems to me like a well-thought-out Fabricate spell could make the gate oh so much more defensible -- just remake the pyramid/center block into a form that doesn't scream "I'm messing with you" quite so loudly, and disable the circle, then it's just another intersection.

15. - Top - End - #255

They did say "don't bother looking it up, it's a special once-a-century deal" about soul splices. But they could have been lying in this case.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah, I guess it is kind of ludicrous to prepare Passwall when preparing to enter a huge underground labyrinth filled with dead ends, traps, and illusions.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Halfling in the Playground

Fun - I was just reading back episodes last weekend, including the soul-splice ones. "3 minutes ish for fiend a, 20 minutes each for fiends B & C."

So...starting to look like the "Snarl" may not exist, or isn't malevolent. That'd be interesting. I really hope we get to see what the creature in the dark is!

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

This webcomic's HSQ just doubled up...
    Last edited by ManuelSacha; 2013-06-28 at 03:05 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

V could argue that V only said the fiends could have his soul, not her mind or body. Kind of like Loki saying that Odin could have his head, not not any of his neck.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knight.Anon View Post
    V could argue that V only said the fiends could have his soul, not her mind or body. Kind of like Loki saying that Odin could have his head, not not any of his neck.
    Well V, I suppose, could go to the Complaints Department of the Lower Planes.

I'm quite sure that would work out for him.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Well V, I suppose, could go to the Complaints Department of the Lower Planes.

I'm quite sure that would work out for him.
    As the joke goes: "Who do you think has all the lawyers?"

Great comic, can't wait to see what happens next.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

OotS is getting awesomer and awesomer. I've enjoyed this arch immensely.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Can that actually work? I mean, can a set of rooms be designed so you can hear one room, but the other room cant hear you? It just seems that if sound can pass in one direction, it should be able to go the other way too right?
    A wizard did it.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

24. - Top - End - #264

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Vaylon View Post
    Yeah, I guess it is kind of ludicrous to prepare Passwall when preparing to enter a huge underground labyrinth filled with dead ends, traps, and illusions.
    Last time V prepared spells, it was either on the semi-elemental plan of ranch dressing, or before/during the overland fly back to the rest of the party.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

A selective reading of the time allotted between the IFCC, 3:06 + 20:35, with two sharing the second block of time, yields 1 4 2 1 seconds. For some reason I find this highly peculiar, 42 bounded on both sides by 1...

Reading it normally, you get 2656 seconds...

I myself would not be surprised if one of the iFCC members switched their control on and off to effectively lengthen their period of influence over V*, would make for a funny comic with the IFCC member cutting V off as V begins to speak/do something every so many seconds...
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Awesome. Did not see this coming.

27. - Top - End - #267

RedWizardGuy

Ah poop. I forgot about them when I made my predictions.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Halfling in the Playground

Again, one-way spell of silence. Problem solved.

Isn't Xykon headed for the other gate that's left? Roy posed a complicated question to the oracle about it and wound up tricking himself and when he figured it out the spell on the valley made him forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    A selective reading of the time allotted between the IFCC, 3:06 + 20:35, with two sharing the second block of time, yields 1 4 2 1 seconds. For some reason I find this highly peculiar, 42 bounded on both sides by 1...

Reading it normally, you get 2656 seconds...

I myself would not be surprised if one of the iFCC members switched their control on and off to effectively lengthen their period of influence over V*, would make for a funny comic with the IFCC member cutting V off as V begins to speak/do something every so many seconds...
    Yep, they can pretty much hold V hostage for the rest of her very long life by only taking control for a few seconds during critical moments. V now has to do whatever they want for the rest of her life if she wants to be able to do anything of any consequence at all!

She can't even warn the others about it. "Roy! I have to warn you abou - THUD!"
    Last edited by sockmonkey; 2013-06-28 at 04:13 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Capnris View Post
    The chamber was not designed for Elven use, or use against non-elves. It was presumably created by the Draketooth clan, for the same reasons as the service tunnels flanking the illusion halls: to keep a covert watch on intruders in order to judge their reactions and act accordingly without being noticed. Illusionists aren't known for fighting fair.
    It was designed by people who considered arcane magic to be a viable substitute for doors; a simple boost to listening would have been trivial.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    A selective reading of the time allotted between the IFCC, 3:06 + 20:35, with two sharing the second block of time,
    That's not right. the total is 3:06+20:35+20:35, since the deal was "each infernal entity gets my soul for as long as I maintained control over their specific splice."
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.