Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default OOC A City of Intrigue & A Tale of Woe

Hello,
    This is the Out-of-Character thread for my small campaign focused on gritty role playing in a dark urban setting. I will be posting here stuff as I get it together in the next couple of days.

The IC Thread.
    The Big 16
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? It's D&D 3.5, baby! Hehe, more seriously, I'm allowing any official source, including Dragon Magz and web content. I reserve the right to selectively vet 3.0 material, but much of it isn't terribly problematic (as usual, it's the synergies that become an issue, so, like I said, ask me).

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? This is a setting based on a variant of my personal world, Galafrae (a Dr Who tribute dating back from way before the show was popular). It's entirely possible that the whole campaign takes place within the city of Merstangoth, a massive metropolis that is detailed elsewhere. The atmosphere will be dark and with some mature themes.

The major relevance of the personal setting is my personal pantheon, which I can dig up a list of if anyone has questions regarding the religious aspect of the game. My overgod allows deities from other realms to have worshipers on Galafrae, though, so it's really possible to worship just about any god (just many gods from foreign settings have very small/nonexistent churches)

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? I'd like to keep this game small enough to make decent progress in irl-time. As I'm sure you're aware, PbP role play can be maddeningly slow. I should be around to post 1-3 times a day, and I will attempt to let you know otherwise. I'm EST in the USA here, and time zones may affect our interactions.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? It's PbP. I'm open to skyping (text chat or voice chat), if it's a thing you're interested in, but no pressure. I love the ability to be more descriptive and thorough in print. We should also exchange e-mail addresses in case the forum goes down again.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    6th level gestalt, starting at 19000 experience, with an eye to level fairly early on. Still trying to determine if LA-buyoff goes together with gestalt. Most gestalt explanations of powerful races involves just putting the LA on one side of the equation. In any case, that's only an issue if you come up with some funky race, which we can address separately.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? Standard WBL. I reserve the right to add to this for a plot item or other augmentation of that kind. Keep in mind that the city is full of affiliations, and that you might want to set aside a couple hundred gp to account for guild fees or whatever (most affiliations require dues of some sort).

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? Please run variants you plan on using by me. This is as much for my personal education as anything else; I don't foresee turning stuff down, but I like to learn from good players how to make the system work for you, so to speak.

PrC are fine. Any extensive dipping (PrC or base classes) will need to be justified, and I reserve the right to involve role play requirements beyond those outlined in the requirements for various classes. I won't be brutal, but it helps with believability if some kind of role play element backs up changes in a character's skill set.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? Please stick to official races and variants thereof that were published in official (non-3rd party) sources (or in web enhancements). I'd like to know about anything obscure, as well, as it will factor into your character's place in society. The overgod of my world is very accepting, though, and loves a variety of creatures, having adopted refugees from various worlds in the past. Most anything is plausible.

Please avoid builds that involve regional feats from other settings. Please ask if there is an issue on this point.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? I set hp at a 90% max + Con Mod benchmark for everyone, except d4 classes, which get 100%. This is true for all creatures, npcs, and commoners, too, so don't get too cocky. So, max first HD, then 90% (round down) from there on.

For ability scores, roll 4d6 (best three) seven times, dropping the low roll. I am amenable to point-buy, but honestly don't know the equivalent system (32? 36 seems too high). A free re-roll is supported, and I reserve the right to allow additional re-rolls and tweak stats upward. In general, I don't approve of characters that start without a base of 18 in the thing they are supposed to be good at (unless it's part of a specific character's shtick). I do the same for many recurring npcs and plot figures, so, again, don't get cocky. Pretty much all monsters get upgraded to the elite array (except the basest of mooks).

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    The standard alignment system will be in operation, but I will be relaxing its implications to allow for a flourishing of the "shades of grey" feel. If you want a character to have an alignment that the rules normally don't allow, give me a decent in-character justification and philosophy, and I'll probably let it swing. Alignments will change, but never off of a single action (unless it's something really epic). I want morality and ethics to be something to explore and have lots of nuances, too, so I will intentionally do weird stuff and avoid pigeon-holing people.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? No multiclassing penalty, but I reserve the right to discuss rules if you want to do lots of dipping, which can strain believability. I'd like a way to give characters a benefit related to Favored Class, but removing the penalty nixes the one from the books, so I'm open to suggestions.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Dice will be rolled inside spoiler tags in the IC thread, using the forum dice roller, which I trust the players are familiar with. I will make many monster rolls in the open, as well, but I may just fudge stuff on occasion; I will attempt to make this only happen for stuff that is really complicated, and I will usually just simplify rolls (like rolling for groups of mooks, collective initiative for monsters, etc).

If there are going to be circumstance modifiers or other case-by-case stuff, I will inform you in my post before you make the roll. All other modifiers are the responsibility of the players, though I may make corrections myself just to speed things along if I notice typos or the like.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. DME has already been allowed some fairly ambitious and formidable homebrew. Thus, I can hardly blanket deny any other homebrew. But I will look at, and reserve the right to veto or alter, anything you ask me to accept.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Please give as many details as you can. Particularly useful bits include:
    - parents, family, social status (poor, rich, nobility, refugees, etc)
    - how your character got into his or her chosen profession
    - hobbies, other jobs
    - formative life experiences (as much or as little detail as you wish)
    Finally, please give an outline of the preceding levels; what you were doing, where you went, how you earned bread, and any big fights or enemies you might have acquired. I can (and likely will) add or subtract detail to make it plausible regarding setting details that you don't know of yet, and I will inform you of things about the city/setting that your character should know of by this point in his/her career.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? The point is role play heavy. I will accept feedback on balance, but I award experience for many things, including good role play, good characterization, at certain plot points, and for the more normal challenges overcome stuff. There will be combat, of course, but I want involved plot and characters that don't view the world as merely a series of bodies-seeking-blades.

If the players want explicit puzzles, I can arrange that, of course. Otherwise, the main problem-solving will involve plot intrigue, complicated alliances, and moral/personal dilemmas.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? All official rules and sources are in. No 3rd-party content (or at least a bare minimum, approved by me in advance). I do have houserules, but not well-codified ones. I will post those that seem relevant, and I will field questions and make alterations based on your builds.

A note on general magic level and spells:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, so I am about 8 months into knowing about the cutting edge of optimization. In contrast, my world predates 3e, and is going on...wow...let's go with "decades old." Thus, my setting exists independently of high-optimization levels, and without Tippyverse or the like being a thing that is possible. I'm not sure where the line is, but I have a good sense for on-the-spot rulings. Please accept that the higher end of optimization (ice assassins, demiplanes, wish-loops, infinite action tricks, power-point recharging) exists only in heavily nerfed forms in my world. I prefer not to ban material, and I don't see all of this being a huge issue based on starting level, but I will make alterations.

Firstly, and I say this with some pain, the celerity line doesn't exist for purposes of this campaign. Immediate action stuff is highly abusable, and I like to keep action-interruption to a minimum, if only because PbP is a terrible medium to replicate that aspect of the rules in.

Gate doesn't work as written. The change isn't relevant at this level, but suffice it to say that any creature that is highly abusable by gating is aware of this and takes steps to ensure that they can't be gated, or that they can leave immediately upon being gated.

In general, tricks involving the easy-acquisition of wishes will be either not allowed, or more likely twisted or met with plot repercussions that are undesirable, making the tricks overall less attractive even if they work.

I use a variant of polymorph in which each creature form is a separate spell, such as those introduced later in 3.5. Alter form is also different, though the advanced usage of the spell is still a bit of mystery to me, so the nerf will be minor. Shapechange is a spell that is restricted, but it's relevance is minor until a higher level.

Finally, there are selective deviations from Magic-Psionic Transparency. Certain magic spells only work on magic, while certain psionic powers only work on psionics (reddopsi and spell turning don't overlap, apopsi works differently for spells and psionics, and certain other exceptions, mostly higher level). Psionics often function in dead magic zones, are unaffected in wild magic zones, and magic often functions despite forces that impact psionics. The pedestrian stuff (dispelling, SR/PR, and the like) remain equivalent.

There is other stuff that makes magic (and psionics) too exploitable, but I will deal with it as it arises. As ever, any houserules that directly impact a build are up for discussion. I am eminently reasonable, and fully confident in my ability to challenge you with or without these alterations.

Finally, while the above is important to avoid magic-users running circles around the rest of the setting, this specific campaign will tolerate a higher level of magic, magitech, strange magic, and psionics than the rest of my world. Expect any op-level you bring to bear to be equaled and occasionally exceeded, however, as my world is generally populated by many powerful people, and Merstangoth itself has extremely powerful people involved in its operation.

Other Houserules that Leap to Mind:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, these are rough, and many are quite old...if you notice conflicts, issues, or any other stuff about them, feel free to bring it up.

- Races that gain bonuses to skills (like the elven bonus to Spot, Listen, and Search) gain those skills as class skills for all classes. A halfling wizard has as much talent for Jumping as the halfling thief if he devotes the skill points, after all, this is what racial proclivity means.

- Spending a feat on any of the +2/+2 to skills feats (Deceitful, Stealthy, Magical Aptitude, etc) makes those two skills class skills for all classes. The same is true for Skill Focus.

- Toughness is eliminated. All instances of Toughness are replaced by Improved Toughness.

- Point-Blank Shot and Precise Shot are rolled into a single feat.

- Dodge and Mobility are rolled into a single feat.

- Craft Construct doesn't exist. To craft a construct, a caster need have only Craft Wondrous Item and Craft Magic Arms & Armour. I don't like needless feat bloat.

- Monks are different. We can discuss how-so if you wish to play one. Suffice it to say, I love monks and have made changes. Monkish homebrew is also something that is acceptable, and I favor Xaotiq1's monk fix, which can be googled. It won't be used verbatim, though, so please talk to me about monks if this is on your mind.

- Fighters are different. 4+Int skill points, more skills, access to special class features, certain feats added to list of fighter bonus feat choices. Ask me if this is something you are considering so I can nail stuff down or go shopping for homebrew.

- Soulknives are better. Full BAB, bonus feats every four levels (psionic feats or fighter bonus feats, plus maybe a couple others), faster progression of mindblade enhancements and enhancement bonus. Everything else is pretty much the same.

A Disclaimer:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm an adult. Unless the players voice some kind of objection, I will assume that adult themes are kosher for this campaign. Sexuality, violence, obscenity, and generally distasteful stuff is part of the stated atmosphere of the campaign. I will avoid over-using these devices or being terribly gratuitous, but expect stuff that is well-described, explicit, and probably unwise to read out loud.

More specifically, I personally have no qualms about including:
    - detailed and graphic violence, both called for and uncalled for
    - mutilation
    - descriptions of torture
    - any of the many, and occasionally quite twisted, forms of sexuality
    - gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender content
    - slavery and other debasement of the value of sentient life

If any of this is a problem, PLEASE do feel free to tell me, and I will alter content accordingly. Obviously, stuff not in accordance with forum rules is not going to be here, and if I stray, let me know (creativity has occasionally gotten the better of me).

I will self-censor the most objectionable content, but assume that pretty much any despicable thing (and all of the most beautiful things) in real life or made possible by magic/psionics/fantasy physics are actually present somewhere.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-07-23 at 03:19 PM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOC A City of Intrigue & A Tale of Woe

Some links to reference material. It will be organized...maybe if I have time.
    the Darkstalker and Sublime Assassin
    Dark Mage and Haruspex
    New ToB Disciplines: Thrashing Dragon and Crescent Moon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Merstangoth is a city built upon a city, built upon a city. The pattern has repeated so many times down the years, that only the lifeshells welded to the foundation of the Eldritch Coliseum have imprints of the earliest days of Mers (as it's known for short). Rumors generally put early Mers as a port city on the coast of some inland sea; if that's true, it might explain the geographical makeup of The Deeps and The Chasm. These places, some of the seediest districts of the city, are located on a different continental shelf than the rest of the city and range from fifty feet lower in elevation to the deepest parts of The Chasm, registering at almost a thousand feet below the ground level of the rest of Mers.

Aside from The Deeps and The Chasm, the rest of the city's districts are generally arrayed in horizontal layers. The higher the elevation of a district, the more elite class of people that are generally found there. The ground layer, The Paths, is a district of mixed populace, which serves as both a commerce area and an entertainment area. Various guildhalls, affiliations, and associations have their public offices here, and red-light areas and black markets can be found further in, away from the areas frequented by the more legitimate of visitors to the city.

The poorest classes of the city live in subterranean layers that constitute the remaining/extant structures of older incarnations of Merstangoth. These layers are largely dangerous, lawless, and structurally unsound. Despite these factors, these Dark Districts as they are known, are home to many thousands of residents, mostly poor, but many resourceful, some educated, and with their own internal organizational structures and societies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Merstangoth itself is nominally run by a consortium of guild-leaders and influential nobles who come together in a council to make important decisions and pass new laws. These oligarchical leaders are largely concerned with trade, economics, and the international image of the city. Merstangoth is part of an autonomous region that was liberated from an age-old international struggle some ages ago by a powerful spellcaster that forced the surrounding four kingdoms to each cede land to Merstangoth. The guilds and nobles now own the lands surrounding the city, and run a series of trade industries from these regions, largely focused on the growth of wigweed (a mild stimulant akin to tobacco), cotton, and mining.

The oligarchs of the guilds and noble families are only the public face to the government. The true powers that be within the city are much more complicated, and tend to act through intermediaries and hide behind shadowy syndicates and social organizations. In ages gone by the city was run by a cabal of mages (how original), a powerful lich, a psionic group-mind, and an urban druid, each ruling in a separate age, and often separated by eras of intense violence, shadow warfare, or the nigh destruction of the city. Each regime was fraught with internal struggles and politicking, as one might expect from an ancient city populated by hundred of thousands.

The lawkeeping itself is accomplished by a semi-outdated caste of monks that study the law and who generally believe that strict adherence to it's dusty codes is the key toward harmony and peace within the city. In actuality, the Code-Keepers, as they are known, range from upright and honest peacekeepers to corrupt and ruthless borderline psychopaths. The only code they are almost universally loathe to break is the law against murder; this doesn't stop some of them from engaging in all manner of physical intimidation, corporal punishment, random beatings, and even torture, however.

In recent regimes, however, the Code-Keepers' traditional form of law enforcement activities have been supplemented to varying degrees by a new organization, the Axiorati, a collection of bio-organic lifeshells programmed with the law codes. These artificial lifeforms, which were more popular in the distant past, have popped up in this new role in the last few decades. Bereft of souls, emotions, or independent thought beyond the range of their individual programming (or their linked programming, as is occasionally the case), these creatures dispassionately and flawlessly enforce the law, and have brought a fairly iron-clad level of peace to the upper districts of Mers (where the Axiorati are most common).

Other organizations/features of note are:

The Society of Sensation, which has numerous feasthalls and performance venues around the city.

The Nine Lies, an overguild of sorts that has attempted for ages to ally and consolidate the numerous thieves and assassin guilds that operate in Mers.

The Shadowbanes, an alliance of churches that seeks to enforce the generally good-aligned tenets of their faiths...by any means necessary.

The Lithromancy Syndicate, a group of necromancers and other spellcasters that have populated the lower levels of the city with large numbers of various types of undead (sentient and otherwise). Some of these push necromancy and undead labor as a solution to the city's problem. Named after the Lithromancer, a shadowy magical figure of legendary status within the Dark Districts.

The Lost Alley, a mysterious location within the city that seems to erratically move from place to place, usually clinging to the lower districts. Thought by those in-the-know to be some kind of magical anomaly arising from some failed epic-level teleportation effect, this dark, misty alley connects to various, seemingly random areas in the city, as well as to various of the other planes of existence. The portals shift destination regularly, and are generally poorly understood, but rumors of some unknown pattern persist, as well as a particular legend that the whole alley is just a security system guarding the treasures of some long-dead wizard.

Finally, here is a general stab at a few "neutral" organizations:
    Spoiler
    Show
    - Eyes of The Unseen: The Unseen is a Neutral thief god who also is patronized by many illusionists and diviners. The genderless god is broadly mysterious, and symbolizes the duality of reality/appearances, lies/truth, and existence/nonexistence. Many of his followers have a pretty Zen-like quality to their practice, but many do not and just like The Unseen's nonjudgmental views.

In any case, the Eyes of The Unseen is an organization with at least two main purposes (though there is just as much intrigue in this group as any other): First, to gather information on goings on in Mers (and beyond), by spying, recon, divination, or whatever other means. Second, to conceal activities going on in Mers from discovery by others. Abjurers and diviners abound in this organization, as do seers, telepaths, Psibond Agents, lurks, rogues, and ninjas. Finally, some of the clergy of The Unseen's church are also members of this group.

- Society of Sensation: It's a neutral organization, in any case. It's very much as described in the Planar Handbook, a multiplanar organization that skews slightly chaotic, but is overall full of all manner of people that want to experience the many flavors of existence.

- Numeria Ultima: This is an organization of the intelligentsia and various flavors of smart people and magic/psionics users. They collectively believe that mathematics is the underpinning of reality, and that numbers and their manipulation can allow one to unlock the secrets of the universe, manipulate its laws, and otherwise gain knowledge and power. They might not be far from the truth.

This organization provides mathematical instruction for free to the public, rents auditors, accountants, and scholars of this sort to other organizations without caring what said organization wants with them, and funds the investigations of the intelligent into all manner of phenomena. They widely espouse the usefulness of science, as well, and see math as the underpinnings of all learning generally. Alchemists, crafters, Geometers, and Loremasters are common within the ranks of this group, and the vast majority have magical or psionic ability of some kind. They interact a lot with those of The Omnichronicle, as well as with the members of The Kandori Interest.

- The Omnichronicle: This is a multiplanar group of record keepers, loosely affiliated with all manner of scribe organizations, god/desses of knowledge, and libraries of all stripes. They dispassionately record all things, and delve into secrets of all kinds across the multiverse. Thus, diviners and seers are key to their operation, and they don't much care for the obfuscation of the Truth (note the capital "T"...they are largely objectivists). They maintain strong connections with Mechanus, where they have a large branch office, but are nominally "Neutral," preaching general non-interference that allows their card-carrying members to come and go unmolested among planar conflicts and local disputes alike. They are mysteriously connected to the Dispassionate Watchers of Chronepsis, though no one is quite sure how this relationship first came about.

- The Kandori Interest: Named after one of the older of the ruling families of Merstangoth, The Kandori Interest has morphed in recent generations into a massive banking operation that has its fingers in virtually every profitable venture this side of Limbo. They dispense money to anyone for any reason on which they can reasonably expect to collect interest, and deal quite harshly with those that are consistently delinquent (usually with a mix of asset seizure, physical threats, and eventual indentured servitude/slavery/debtor's prison). Like any bank, they maintain crack teams of operatives to help with particularly stubborn asset seizure, the tracking down of delinquent debtors, and otherwise guard/secure the interests of The Interest. Cold and uncaring, the bottom line is the only king in the world of The Kandori Interest; all else comes in a distant second to their Prime Directive: Profit.

The Districts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Districts of Merstangoth

Zones: The city can be broken down into five zones. These areas are conceptual, not geographic, so they usually aren't defined by borders. Rather, one zone gradually turns into another.

The zones are the Dark Districts, the Surface, Parks, the Aeries, and Outliers.

Dark Districts
    These districts are located beneath the Surface, and are largely made up of the partial remains and ruins of earlier incarnations of Merstangoth.

Dens: Dens is the first sublayer of Mers. Short for Dens of Sin, Dens of Iniquity, Dens of Corruption, or other variations on the theme. This district is comprised of all the businesses and enterprises that are too shady or too extreme for the more pedestrian crowds that frequent the ground-level markets of Paths. Frequently found here are brothels, strip joints, black market businesses, body augmentation shops (the sketchy ones at least...more reputable ones are found in the Galleries), practitioners of various forbidden arts, info-brokers, slave markets, underground churches/cults, and a myriad of other, more bizarre places. The actual institutions of Dens are surrounded by slums of various sizes, peopled by the employees of the places, and the masses of the indigent poor.

Maze: A labyrinthine series of paths, corridors, and half-collapsed ruins, Maze is the second sublayer beneath the city. It is a common hideout for criminals that have gone to ground and others that just want to avoid any kind of notice. It can be a dangerous area for civilians lacking the skills to defend themselves, as only the desperate end up this deep beneath Mers. Rumours persist of creatures much more dangerous than just criminals hiding within the folding paths of Maze.

Ash: This layer is inhabited by those that have a serious, vested interest in staying out of the light. Generally only accessible via magic, Ash is the third sublayer under the city, generally located between seventy-five and one hundred-fifty feet beneath the ground level of Merstangoth.

Ash is so-named because it is full of ash and charred building materials. This apparently is due to the ruins of this level dating back to an incarnation of the that was destroyed in some massive conflagration. As a place that is generally unreachable without magic or other special skills, those that live here guard their privacy well, carving out domains within the ruins and warding them with spells, traps, guardian creatures, and other magics. If a visitor to this district comes uninvited, they would do well to contact a guide from the Darkrunner Guild before heading down, as they are among the few given permission to wander around this district without being attacked by its residents and their defenses.

Wish: Short for "Deathwish," these levels are quite unstable and feature regular collapses, shifts, and/or become impossible. Only the brave and the stupid make it this deep below the city, driven by fear of discovery, desire for the secrets of the past, a thirst for silence, or sheer madness. Wish is located below one hundred-fifty feet, and reaches down numerous levels to past five hundred feet. It's largely totally uncharted and mostly uninhabited. Entire areas are unsurvivable by breathing creatures, poisoned by ancient dusts and mists that hang in the still air and cling to every surface. Those that travel this deep without the assistance of magic truly make this district live up to its name.

Surface
    This is the ground-level district. It spreads across the whole city proper, before the elevation drops off to the east at the edge of the Deeps. Surface runs from zero feet above ground to around forty feet above ground, with most buildings limited to 3-4 stories within this space.

Paths: This is a ground-level district full of markets, tourist industries, merchant stalls, and streets lined with entertainment venues. In various neighborhoods, there are residential areas that range from middle class down to slums. Very few rich or highly successful people choose to live here, as it's a crowded, noisy district that thrums day and night with the activity of the populace.

The majority of the buildings on this level have only one or two stories. Many shops have apartments above them were the shop owners or lodgers dwell. Tangle starts low enough that most buildings can't jam a third story in before the catwalks and bridges start to take over; as ever, though, there isn't much in the way of a clearly demarcated border between districts.

Tangle: Located around forty feet off of the ground, Tangle is several stories worth of largely residential areas populated by all manner of people in all manner of social situations. Typically, those that live up here are better off than those that live below, but this isn't always the case.

Physically, Tangle is typified by catwalks, balconies, overhangs, skybridges, and the like that cross the gaps between the towering structures of Mers. Some of these structures are magical in nature, reinforced or held up by gravity-defying spells, while others are feats of mundane engineering, and still others are shoddy in construction and hang precariously above the crowded streets below. Clotheslines with laundry, dangling paper lanterns, prayer flags, and all manner of other objects are draped about. The general effect is one of a chaotic jumble of various pathways and platforms, a veritable maze located above the streets of Paths.

Codex Row: Codex Row is a row of massive stone and metal buildings that bisect the northwest quadrant of Paths running from northeast to southwest. These buildings are uniformly eight stories tall, and each building has a distinct type of architecture that connects it to the governmental department of which it is part.

This district is the central area for the lawkeepers, government bureaucrats, government investigators, government flunkies, magistrates, and committees. The public offices of all government organizations are here, though they are often just the street-level annexes made available to the common citizens. The higher-level government functions are largely conducted in palatial offices in the upper areas of Parks, or in more obscure locations yet higher.

The main offices of the Code-Keepers and the less numerous Axiorati are also located here, and these law enforcers can be find in high concentrations throughout the district. New recruits are trained in secret facilities here, and non-personnel reinforcement squads are also operated out of this district. These squads usually consist of stone golems or more advanced constructs sent out for peacekeeping and other missions that non-living creatures are best suited for. Admittedly, since the rise of the Axiorati, these backup squads are less used, but they remain here in reserve nonetheless.

Consular District: This district is located in the central north area of the city, and extends all the way up into Parks, where each consulate has a spacious garden and an area for dignitaries and those officially granted asylum. As befitting the representation of foreign powers in a massive metropolis, these buildings are lavish, exquisitely designed to represent the best principles of the race or nation to which they belong.

Consulates exist for each of the major kingdoms of the continent; smaller kingdoms have officials stationed within the consulates of their larger allies. The biggest consulates belong to the four powers that surround Merstangoth: the Pralish Empire, Stalgorm, the Kingdom of Maelra, and Melfyristaenne. Each of these powers vies endlessly for influence within Merstangoth, and more than one of them consider the city as little more than a bunch of squatters sucking up profits that should have been theirs.

Each consulate maintains a small, sovereign force of defenders to ensure its security independent of the Code-Keepers and the Axiorati. These forces are formidable, if few in number, and the Axiorati that patrol the streets of this district keep a close eye on them (and vice versa).

Parks
    This district is located several stories above the hubbub of the districts of Surface. Due to the elevation, magic and other supernatural forces are more common up here, if only to facilitate movement, enable more elaborate construction, and otherwise indicate the difference in social class between here and the lower districts.

Galleries: This district is a sprawling district of specialty shops, boutiques, and guildhalls. It is the district in Parks with the lowest elevation, and is most concentrated in southern parts of the city. This elevation is also shared with the residences of the reasonably well-off, generally business owners, the newest of the bourgeoisie, and other of similar ilk.

As Merstangoth is generally a city in which money can be used to acquire just about anything, this district is home to many businesses that also, with varying degrees of discretion, cater to the more bizarre and exotic tastes of the elite. From exotic pets, to body augmentation, to psychic mind alteration, from designer spellcasting to highly-trained slaves that specialize in the more exquisite arts, Galleries is a world of beauty, wonder, and depravity. All available for the proper sum of coin.

Steel Menagerie: The Steel Menagerie is located in the southeast corner of the city, not far from the edge of The Deeps, it's steel decks beginning some seventy feet above the ground and several hundred feet towards the sky, well beyond the upper limit of most of Parks. It is comprised of massive steel spires that reach skyward like the towers of some vast gothic cathedral. Almost no living beings reside here, although various parties pass through the area on business, and messengers are sent to the Collective at times. Clockwork creatures of various kinds operate here, most of minimal intelligence operating on simple parameters to fulfill maintenance or other regulatory functions. Particularly common are the clockroaches, which scuttle about and routinely check any construct entering the menagerie for signs of damage and automatically commencing repairs.

This district is comprised of an elaborate series of automated industries that process various goods produced within Merstangoth's territories, along with other commodities. Over time, these self-regulated intelligent constructs have been given a degree of autonomy by the guilds that were originally responsible for creating them. The constructs eventually developed a level of sophistication that necessitated internal governance and supervision, and so the constructs formed the Collective, a body of super-intelligent mechanical beings that have the sole purpose of maintaining the Steel Menagerie and its interests.

While the industries of this district are actually somewhat in decline (as Merstangoth has transitioned beyond the stage of being a manufacturing society), the district still has considerable production capabilities, and the Collective is constantly on the lookout for any means by which they can secure their financial future.

Cathedral Gyre: This district consists of a vast basin of magically manipulated stone that is held high above the city below by titanic forces of unknown origin. A road begins at the lowest point of the basin atop a subjective gravity column that rises from Surface and enters Cathedral Gyre through an opening in the basin (nicknamed the Drain). This road spirals upward around the edge of the basin, heading slowly up toward the rim of the crater-like area.

Along this road are many temples, shrines, churches, and cathedrals to practically every divinity, philosophy, and supernatural force worshiped on the continent and beyond. The structures range from small and humble to vast monuments to the glory of x or y. The entire area is warded by powerful magics that prevent spells and powers from working in the streets; essentially, each church is allowed to do it's own magical rites as long as they take place within the physical bounds of its structures. Thus, a strange coexistence of good, evil, lawful, and chaotic people is maintained, although many non-violent power struggles and more subtle "weapons" are still employed in this district's internal politics.

As one might expect, outsiders and other extraplanar beings are more frequent in Cathedral Gyre than in many other parts of the city.

Glowing Gardens: Located at an elevation of roughly seventy feet and reaching up approximately eighty feet, Glowing Gardens is a verdant area where the normal "city smell" of Mers gives way to a clear, fragrant air filled with the damp cool of abundant plant life. Birds, insects and small animals are fairly common in this district, all of which have grown used to the presence of the district's many visitors.

This layer of Mers is rife with plant life; it grows in pots and urns, hangs from catwalks and balconies, and carpets the floors. The plants themselves are often magical, magically bred, or magically sustained. The name of the district comes from a particularly prevalent series of species that glow with a faint light after the sun goes down, illuminating the green paths of the gardens with a greenish light. The whole effect is quite surrealistic.

The lower part of Glowing Gardens are made up of a series of public parks run by the Axiorati. The upper levels, generally one hundred-twenty feet and up, are the location of various luxury penthouses that overlook the parks and gardens. These residences are very trendy, and often occupied by young social elites and particularly successful business owners. A fair number, however, are legacies that are handed down among the older aristocratic families of Merstangoth's past.

The Aeries
    The Aeries is a zone of privilege and luxury that starts at an elevation of about one hundred-fifty feet, and continues up many hundreds of feet. Magic, psionics, and other mystical things are quite common up here. Many of the elites of Mers practice one or the other of these arts, often as much as a hobby as any kind of self-improvement, and magical or psionic augmentation are both quite trendy among the fabulously rich and powerful.

Amber Halls: This district, located above the leafy canopy of Glowing Gardens, is a relic of a long-since-broken mythal or similarly epic magic that allowed a vast area of construction to occur using augmented amber as a building material. Though the epic magic that brought the area into existence has disappeared, these translucent halls remain, and are now home to the organizations, social clubs, and other gatherings of the elite of Merstangoth.

The Amber Halls extend up one hundred feet, broken into various floors or layers based on their usage. Although the amber itself has the structural integrity of steel, it is surprisingly easy to manipulate with magic. Regular redecorating is done by the owners of various parts of the Halls, to suit their elaborate tastes and exotic needs.

Drangorra Heights: This district is located above Amber Halls, and is filled with the super-rich, the political elite, all manner of successful people, and leaders of various organizations. Money alone can buy no finer than what is available here; the even more exclusive districts above require much more than simple financial largesse.

Drangorra Heights is filled with mansions, palatial halls, and all manner of elaborate dwellings for the wealthy. Magical construction is extremely common, and no edifice herein lacks supernatural security measures to boot.

The Towers Six: These massive towers are the ever-growing incarnations of the ancestral homes of the six noble families of Merstangoth. By name and in no particular order, the families are the Kandoris, the Aebilim, the Caer-Nimroth, the Santaal, the Eves, and the Pfeil. Various legends have these families figuring heavily in early versions of Merstangoth, in various roles as rulers, patrons and conquerors, among others. Regardless, they are now simply aristocratic families with vast resources and profound influence on the workings of Merstangoth.

The Towers themselves are flying, self-expanding structures that are all located three hundred feet above the ceiling of Parks, in the center of the city proper. They are arrayed in a rough circle, though they oscillate slightly from day-to-day. Each tower is hundreds of feet high, and they each have distinct architecture evocative of the family that built them. Each family maintains a small elite force of troops and vassals, equipped with the finest of gear and wielding the mightiest of powers. Beyond this, each family counts very talented and powerful people among its gene pool.

Aetemporia: Located even beyond the realm of the Towers Six, this fabled realm is the dwelling place of the most powerful of Merstangoth's residents. Demiplanes and multiplanar mansions are en vogue here. The Prime Material Plane components of these places are varied, but they are all located high in the clouds above Merstangoth, accessible only by privately controlled sky-stairs or subjective gravity columns. Only the Axiorati routinely visit this region, and then only when official business demands that they contact one of Aetemporia's residents in person.

Outliers
    These are districts located outside the city proper. They have largely been constructed unofficially to accommodate the burgeoning population of Mers.

The Deeps: This district is located on the western edge of vast depression that many scholars believe once constituted an inland sea of some kind. What exactly happened to the water is unknown, but this theory is backed up by mineral deposits found beneath the foundations of the Deeps.

The whole area is a sprawling mix of slums, low-cost housing developments, high-rises, and shanty towns. A maze of streets and staircases crisscross the district, rendering the area very confusing to all but veteran residents. The elevation steadily drops as the Deeps stretches eastward, until it bottoms out several miles from the city.

The Chasm: This canyon-like area cut deep into the floor of the Deeps. Cut into its rock walls are dwellings, alcoves, halls, and hideouts. It's a very popular area for criminals, as it is a quite large geographic area, half-deserted, and generally populated only by people with something to hide.

The Air Barges: This district is a mobile, non-contiguous area consisting of low-flying barges on which various people dwell. The largest barges orbit the city, while smaller ones occasionally brave the inner areas of the city (though this can be extremely dangerous due to the unusual wind patterns that prevail in-between the towering edifices of Mers).
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-07-23 at 03:51 PM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Here is a [hopefully] more polished version of the pantheon notes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Overgod-
    Galafrae (rarely worshipped, most don't even know of his existence)
    Notes: Galafrae is literally the physical embodiment of the planet of Galafrae. His avatar resembles a short, elderly man, stooped with age and with long, light grey hair formed into dread locks that descend to his waist. Unlike other deities, he is not limited by divine ranks or domain powers. A good place to start when imagining his range of powers would be to imagine someone capable of activating all divine salient abilities simultaneously as a free action anywhere on Galafrae or within 1000 miles of any creature originating on Galafrae, now or up to 100 years into the past or the future. His greater powers defy definition. His control over reality is just about complete, and really defies game mechanics.
    Luckily, he rarely does much himself, content to nurture the inhabitants of Galafrae, scout for new variety and diversity (which he greatly enjoys), and otherwise exist in contentment. He does have a few direct minions that work for him, but they are few in number and not organized into any hierarchy of any kind.

*Personification of Nature (holds a place higher than that of a greater god, but below that of Galafrae)
    Note: This is not an actual god, but a concept. Some nature worshipers follow a Mother Goddess that is essentially the planet itself, others give it different names. All in all, though, it's really the force of nature as an abstract concept. It's ranked here to show that it's relative power exceeds that of a greater god.

Greater Gods-
    Sirtaia, Sun Goddess, Healing, Light,
    Symbol: Disk of the Sun during Sirstar Eclipse (yellow disk surrounded by reddish corona) with a six-pointed star superimposed on it
    Home Plane: Sirstar Layer of the Plane of the Sun, Elysium
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Portfolio: Sun (during Sirstar dominance), Light, Healing, Life, lesser influence over weather, fertility of the land, protection of civilization against darkness
    Worshipers: Commoners, Farmers, Novas (outsiders native to the Plane of the Sun)
    Domains: Sun, Healing, Good [fire, destruction]
    Favored Weapon: "The Sunsphere" (morning star)
    Notes: [lesser known dual-aspect as destroyer], [she shares the sun god role with another god that i'm still working on, as Sirtaia is the goddess during the periods of Sirstar dominance, as opposed to periods of Ristar dominance...has to do with there being two different layers on the Plane of the Sun.]

Emara, Goddess of All Magic
    Symbol: Three balls of silvery-blue spellfire arranged in an equilateral triangle, with one vertex pointing straight up
    Home Plane: The Outlands, Everywhere
    Alignment: Neutral
    Portfolio: Magic, Spells, Spellcasters, lesser influence over Knowledge,
    Worshipers: Spellcasters (both arcane and divine), Sages, Scholars, Dragons, a number of other highly magical creatures
    Domains: Magic, Knowledge, Protection (Spell, Oracle)
    Favored Weapon: "Artslave" (dagger)
    Notes: Emara is like Mystra on steroids. She shares many principles with the FR deity of magic, but she zealously guards the stability of magical energy on Galafrae and her own position of primacy at the center of that web. She has no compunction about obliterating wizards, clerics, or any others that are excessively proud or arrogant and forgetful of their dependence on magic for their power. She isn't particularly thorough in this regard, and can only really be depended on to wipe out anyone that challenges her control over magic; she still occasionally makes a particularly public display of divine-grade spellfire on a massive scale, as much as a warning as a punishment. She also often makes use of Artslave, her god-artifact dagger. This dagger pumps pure, unfiltered magic into the body of any being hit, burning their minds and wills to ash, while leaving their body in tact with all it's abilities, forever an unquestioning servant of the goddess of magic.
    All other deities pay tribute to Emara as well (except for Galafrae), as she can easily interfere with or impede their ability to grant spells to followers, and generally speaking, all beings on the planet are at her mercy.

San, God of Knowledge, Wisdom, Monks, lesser influence over travel, agriculture
    Symbol: A stylized lit torch with the flame of knowledge
    Home Plane: The Outlands
    Portfolio: Knowledge, Learning, Scholarship, Spiritual Enlightenment through Discovery of Self and the Universe, Heraldry
    Worshipers: Scholars, sages, archivists, wizards, monks, heralds, messangers, teachers, students
    Domains: Knowledge, Magic, Travel (Oracle, Mind, Herald)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes: San is the god of wisdom, knowledge and fleet-footed messengers. He is the patron of sages, monks, teachers, students, librarians and those who deliver messages. San likes to see in his followers a strong devotion to study, a readiness to learn new things and the practical application of wisdom and knowledge to daily life.

Ternian, God of Agriculture, Farmers, Fertility of the Land, and Rain, lesser influence over other weather
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Arcadia
    Alignment: NG
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers: Farmers, herders, commoners
    Domains: Animal, Plant, Sun, Water (Patience)
    Favored Weapon: (heavy flail)
    Notes: Ternian is the god of agriculture, the harvest, the bounty of the land, and of rain. However, only civilized, communal people with a more agriculturally based society venerate Ternian as the god of rain. More primitive peoples, especially nomads and barbarian tribes, pay homage to the storm god Tarse in their thanks for all rain. Nonetheless, Ternian is still a very important god in many areas. His blessing of the crops is highly valued, and the reaping of his blessings provides the lifeblood of many a small community by feeding them through the long months of winter. Most farming communities will have a shrine of some sort that is dedicated to Ternian and, in addition, most farmers will erect a small outdoor shrine to him during the harvest season. These shrines are usually placed in one of the farmer's fields and they usually consist of a pile of flat stones or a small table of some sort that can be used as an altar for offerings to be made on and official prayers to be made at.

Wraeth, God of Death, Undeath, Fear
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Hades
    Alignment: NE
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers: Necromancers, dread necromancers, liches, undead, those that fear death
    Domains: Death, Evil, (Undeath)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

Reth, Paladin God of Justice, Righteousness, Law
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Celestia
    Alignment: LG
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers: Paladins, knights (Knights of the Morning Standard), good-aligned judges, crusaders, holy warriors of lawful alignments
    Domains: Law, Good, Protection, War (Inquisition)
    Favored Weapon: Longsword
    Notes:

Rath, God of Bloodshed, Violence
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Pandemonium
    Alignment: CE
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers: Psychopaths, the Ravagers, murderers, CE mercenaries
    Domains: Chaos, Destruction, Evil (Wrath, Madness, Fury)
    Favored Weapon: Spiked Gauntlet/Unarmed Strike
    Notes:

Joyce, Goddess of Love, Fertility, and Passion, the Hearth, lesser influence over beauty
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers: Midwives, pregnant women, wives, mothers, fathers
    Domains: Good, Protection (Creation, Hope)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes: In some areas, she's known as "Helen," but they seem to be the same goddess.

Joseph, God of Love, Families, Community, lesser influence over truth
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Good (Community, Hope, Patience, Renewal)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

Marnon, God of War
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Acheron, Ysgard
    Alignment: CN
    Portfolio: Warfare, violence, fighting, combat, war tactics and technology
    Worshipers: Fighters, warblades, professional soldiers, mercenaries, anyone in combat, marshals
    Domains: War, Destruction, Strength (Wrath, Planning)
    Favored Weapon: (bastard sword)
    Notes: God of all war, not matter the cause, no matter if there is a cause. He supports fighting and violence of all kinds for any reason. War for the sake of war.

Lord Aemon, God of the Sky, Birds, Travel, Nobility, lesser influence over weather
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: The Beastlands
    Portfolio: The sky, wind, travel, self-perfection, animals
    Worshipers: Travelers, magical beasts, rangers,
    Domains: Air, Animal, Travel (Courage)
    Favored Weapon: (halberd/spear)
    Notes:

Temnos, God of the Seas and Oceans
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Alignment:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Water, (Ocean
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

Panlunias, Moon Deities Collective Aspect
    Symbol: A black dodecahedron with one symbol from each of the Moons on each face.
    Home Plane: Demiplanes of the Moon
    Portfolio: The moon, the night, darkness and light, shadow, illusion,
    Worshipers: The Moon Cults, mystics, shifters, lycanthropes
    Domains: The combined domains of the twelve Moons
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes: This is a collective aspect that combines the features and powers of the twelve Moons. It's an immensely powerful being that is formed, but luckily the individual Moons themselves are usually too much at odds to cooperated to form this collective being.

Intermediate Gods-
    Tommakin, Craft God, God of Artistry
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Alignment:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Knowledge, Protection (Craft, Creation, Trade)
    Favored Weapon: (warhammer)
    Notes:

Blaze, God of Vengeance, Cleansing Fire, lesser influence over the sun
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Plane of the Sun
    Alignment: CG
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Destruction, Good, Fire (Retribution, Wrath)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

The Dark Lady, Goddess of Murder, Assassins, Evil Thief God, The Dark Queen
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Alignment:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Evil, Death, Trickery (Corruption, Seduction, Pain)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

The Unseen, Neutral Thief God, The Watcher
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Alignment:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Trickery, Air, Knowledge (Dream, Illusion, Planning, Oracle)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

The Laughing Lady, Goddess of Trickery, Bards, Humour, Good Thief God
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Arborea
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Chaos, Luck, Trickery (Joy)
    Favored Weapon: (rapier)
    Notes:

Brinsa, Goddess of the Waves, Breezes, Favorable Winds, Patroness of Sailors
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers: Sailors, seafarers, explorers, pirates, shipbuilders, seafolk, merfolk
    Domains: Air, Water, Luck (Ocean, Seafolk)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

Tarse, Storm God, Thunder God
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Ysgard
    Alignment: CN
    Portfolio: Storms, thunder and lightning, wind, weather, unbridled emotion
    Worshipers: Barbarians, nomadic humanoids, storm giants,
    Domains: Air, Water, Chaos (Storm, Windstorm,)
    Favored Weapon: (greatspear/spear/javelin)
    Notes:

Freya, Goddess of Beauty, lesser influence over fire, crafting
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: Ysgard
    Portfolio: Beauty, passion, emotions, fire, crafting, protection of beauty and beautiful things,
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Good, Fire, Luck (Craft, Pleasure)
    Favored Weapon: (dagger)
    Notes:

Krystalline, Goddess of Ice, Crystals, Gems, Oracle Goddess
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Alignment:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Earth, Good, Luck (Oracle)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

Lesser Gods-
    Auril, the Frostmaiden, Goddess of Evercold (crossover from Faerun)
    Symbol: A white snowflake on a grey diamond (a heraldic lozenge) with a white border.
    Home Plane: Paraelemental Plane of Ice
    Alignment: NE
    Portfolio: Cold, winter
    Worshipers: Frostfell creatures, frost giants, winter wolves, white dragons
    Domains: Air, Evil, Water (Cold, Storm, Winter)
    Favored Weapon: (ice axe)
    Notes:

Daenestrii, the Patient One, the Suffering Earth
    Symbol: A rough-hewn stone obelisk with thorny vines wrapped about it, dripping blood
    Home Plane: The Outlands
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Earth, Healing (Endurance, Patience)
    Favored Weapon: (maul/warhammer)
    Notes:

Sally Berndain, Goddess of Balance, the Life-Death-Rebirth Cycle
    Symbol:
    Home Plane:
    Alignment:
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers:
    Domains: Life, Death, Destruction (Balance, Creation)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

Maelrik, God of Dust, Thirst, Despair
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: The Nine Hells
    Alignment: LE
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers: Nihilists, doomsday cults, Entropomancers
    Domains: Air, Evil, Destruction (Thirst)
    Favored Weapon:
    Notes:

Sha-Enne, Swift Goddess of the Dark Earth, the Hunt, and Primal Fear
    Symbol:
    Home Plane: The Abyss
    Alignment: CE
    Portfolio:
    Worshipers: Evil hunters, intelligent predators, evil lycanthropes, evil earth creatures
    Domains: Animal, Earth, Evil (Hunt, Celerity, Bestial)
    Favored Weapon: (claws/unarmed strike)
    Notes:

Demipowers-

Patrick Richards, Demigod of Time, Technology (limitation thereof)

I'd like to invite Deus and Morcleon to join this thread for any general discussion that they feel like. I will field questions here, if you don't mind. The other thread should be reserved for in-game stuff about what your character says, thinks and does.
    Etiquette:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Please pick a highly visible color to speak and think in; I reserve Red for significant villains and such, and certain recurring npcs may also have a color, but I'll give you all first pick.

My usual eitquette for npcs is for an npc to

"Speak like this," says the npc.

and

Think like this, it thinks.

In other words, speech in quotes, bold, and in color. Thought in color, not bold. Actions taken are in black.

You are free to use your own system, as long as it's clear and consistent. Please head each post for your character with the character's name (doesn't need to be the whole name if you've picked someone with a long name).
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-07-06 at 08:44 PM.

Extended Sigbox

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu
    Then consider this such confirmation.

I'm pegging this gestalt game at late level 6, 19000, with an aim to level up early on. I'm open to LA buyoff, but I want to review that rule and know what races you are considering (also no idea how buyoff interacts with gestalt...are these two variants that usually don't go together?). The Lesser Planetouched and such are also options, though I'd like to know about any extrapolations of the given pattern beyond those in the book that was introduced in (were there web enhancements for that...the ways of web content are still mysterious to me). I'd like to avoid crazy homebrew, but DME has already selected some, and it was the good crazy kind, so if you wish to experiment, we can discuss that, too.

As soon as you have a general idea nailed down, please let me know. I like to pull in character histories and such into the plot events and the features of the game world. Merstangoth is a very, very big city (still working out the numbers, but there are hundreds of thousands of residents...I think), so there is likely a niche for just about anything you come up with.

Just FYI, as well, there will be constructs and the occasional undead in the city. Undead are common in certain of the Dark Districts, though they receive less welcome up in the light. I'm also introducing a creature type known as lifeshells (more crit-immunity, I know...). They are organic lifeforms artificially created and programmed via psionics/magic. They aren't that common at this point (more of a relic of the past, with key exceptions), but they will be out there. They are quite tough, soulless, and emotionless and mindless beyond what they are programmed to feel and think (and they all have programming of some kind, as they are just dolls without it). Still working out the precise mechanics, but I wanted to let you know before springing custom creature-types on you.

Anyway, there is some flavor in the recruiting thread. I will open IC and OOC threads and PM you the links this evening.
    This is the homebrew class I would like to try. It's very much dark, IYKWIM.

Oh, and maybe this too. My current concept is one of a shadowy oracle-type.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    This is the homebrew class I would like to try. It's very much dark, IYKWIM.

Oh, and maybe this too. My current concept is one of a shadowy oracle-type.
    They look good at a glance.

Hmm. I may alter some of the Dark Mage stuff. An hour long summoning of x or y seems quite powerful as an ability that could later impact combat. The CR limits seem a limiter, but CR is something to always be suspect of, as it was eyeballed by clearly myopic developers.

That one that adds the +2 competence bonus to casting stat. Not sure...can a dark talent be selected twice. That didn't seem clear, but I guess most of them wouldn't be useful to have twice.

I'd also like to know if you plan on a specific of the 11-20 progressions.

Haruspex looks quite nice. Divination optimization is something I'm not totally familiar with, and keep in mind that once I'm aware of what is possible, countermeasures will fall into place in the logical places. NPCs with the power and resources to mess up divination are quite common, and in this setting there will be lots of abjurations and the like to mask/make immune certain stuff.

That said, seer psions and diviners are one of my favorite archetypes (rather behind druids and a more generalist wizard, though).

So, I'd say it's a preliminary yes, but give me a bit to weed through the details. I look forward to DM'ing for a good, powerful caster build.

And, as a note to both Morcleon and DeusMortuusEst, please look at the disclaimer that I just added to my initial post. I want to make sure you are both on board with certain...*ahem*...aspects of the setting and atmosphere before I launch into the more detailed bits of planning the city.

Extended Sigbox

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

@Morcleon:

Please explain how the Brief Glimpse ability of the Haruspex works. I think I get it, but then I read it again and it all gets fuzzy. Part of it seems like a typo, but I'm not sure. How do you understand it's function? An example would be nice.

For Convenience:
    Brief Glimpse (Sp): As a reactive non action the Haruspex can see briefly into the future. The Haruspex can determine the outcome of a spell or attack before the target casts it or initiate's it. The Haruspex is aware of the spell failing, being resisted, the target making his saving throw, or any immediate actions the target takes to resist/block the spell or attack.
    EDIT: I am probably also going to be nerfing tome functionality for spellcasting classes other than ones with tomes as some kind of class feature. Otherwise, they are like Reserve Feats on steroids, and allow altogether too many attacks per round for a group of classes that don't need that particular leg up.

This change shouldn't affect the Dark Mage at all, though. I just don't want to be tempted to have all powerful casters also equipped with ray-shooting machine gu...books.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-07-02 at 12:27 AM.

Extended Sigbox

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    They look good at a glance.

Hmm. I may alter some of the Dark Mage stuff. An hour long summoning of x or y seems quite powerful as an ability that could later impact combat. The CR limits seem a limiter, but CR is something to always be suspect of, as it was eyeballed by clearly myopic developers.

That one that adds the +2 competence bonus to casting stat. Not sure...can a dark talent be selected twice. That didn't seem clear, but I guess most of them wouldn't be useful to have twice.

I'd also like to know if you plan on a specific of the 11-20 progressions.

Haruspex looks quite nice. Divination optimization is something I'm not totally familiar with, and keep in mind that once I'm aware of what is possible, countermeasures will fall into place in the logical places. NPCs with the power and resources to mess up divination are quite common, and in this setting there will be lots of abjurations and the like to mask/make immune certain stuff.

That said, seer psions and diviners are one of my favorite archetypes (rather behind druids and a more generalist wizard, though).

So, I'd say it's a preliminary yes, but give me a bit to weed through the details. I look forward to DM'ing for a good, powerful caster build.

And, as a note to both Morcleon and DeusMortuusEst, please look at the disclaimer that I just added to my initial post. I want to make sure you are both on board with certain...*ahem*...aspects of the setting and atmosphere before I launch into the more detailed bits of planning the city.
    I'd be fine with nerfing the summoning abilities. Either way, I'll be focusing on undead with the summoning aspect.

Competence boni don't stack with themselves, so the select-a-spell ones are the only ones that would benefit from multiple iterations.

I'll probably go with Dark Mage 10/Summoner X/Sorcerer Y, where X + Y = 10. I'll need some experience with their abilities before I learned how I'd like to blend them.

I can find ways past some blockers with enough ingenuity.

And I'm fine with all the stuff listed in the disclaimer.

@Morcleon:

Please explain how the Brief Glimpse ability of the Haruspex works. I think I get it, but then I read it again and it all gets fuzzy. Part of it seems like a typo, but I'm not sure. How do you understand it's function? An example would be nice.

For Convenience:
    I read it as:
    1. When an attack/spell is used, roll the dice to see what the outcome would be, but do not actually start/resolve the act.
    2. Talk to allies/use immediate action abilities to change circumstances.
    3. Action starts and resolves, using the dice previously rolled as the dice in the action, with any changes precipitated by the Haruspex.

Off the top of my head, this could be used for, say Power Attack. If the dice rolled end up giving a nat 20 and a critical hit, you tell the fighter to power attack for full, and use any damage increasing abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu
    EDIT: I am probably also going to be nerfing tome functionality for spellcasting classes other than ones with tomes as some kind of class feature. Otherwise, they are like Reserve Feats on steroids, and allow altogether too many attacks per round for a group of classes that don't need that particular leg up.

This change shouldn't affect the Dark Mage at all, though. I just don't want to be tempted to have all powerful casters also equipped with ray-shooting machine gu...books.
    Well, unless you have significant levels in Dark Mage, you won't get any iteratives with Tomes.
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2013-07-02 at 12:49 AM.
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Still here, 16 looking good and I'm OK with the disclaimer.

Haven't had time to look through the other homebrew yet, but I remember looking at the Haruspex a long time ago. IIRC it's pretty cool.

I have no problem with the house rules so far. Another tip for you Phelix is to quickly look through the completely dysfunctional handbook for any rules that you think we might use often. It contains a lot of wonky stuff...

I haven't started building any mechanics yet, but I was thinking of the character background a little:

A thief/infiltrator who does some work for the Shadowbanes, mostly because her brother works for one of the churches and he doesn't know she's a thief, while another, high-ranking priest does. As long as she does the occasional mission for the Shadowbanes her secret is kept safe.

I have some stuff regarding the Nine Lies as well, but nothing quite worked out yet. I'll be back with questions once I got things a little more sorted out in my head.
    Dumbledore is dead but had a horcrux so might still be alive to it being fake and him dead but not stopping her from using the having a horcrux on you letting you live from a killing curse.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Epileptic monkeys. Boxing gloves. Typewriters. That is all.

9. - Top - End - #9

Flumph

Double posting, figured I'd roll as well...

(4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]

Re: Point buy: From my experience 28 is for low powered characters. 32 is average. 34+ is for relatively high powered ones. Here's a point buy calculator if you're interested. You can mess around with that to quickly see what kind of stats a certain point buy level allows. From your description of what stats you are going for, I guess that 32-36 would be the right span.
    Dumbledore is dead but had a horcrux so might still be alive to it being fake and him dead but not stopping her from using the having a horcrux on you letting you live from a killing curse.

10. - Top - End - #10

Rolls:
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[5]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[6]

For speech, I use normal, colored text. Thoughts are italicized colored text. I think I'll use violet as my color.

I'm thinking that I could be a part of a relatively neutral organization loosely designed like Charlescomm from Erfworld... suggestions?

11. - Top - End - #11

...yeah, those rolls were kinda really bad. 'm just gonna just the 32 PB, which is the standard... >.<

Also, I'm gonna request both Faerie Mysteries Initiate (Int to HP) and Lost Traditions (switching the stat of Dark Mage to Int).

And more questions:
    1. Traits/flaws?
    2. Custom magic items?

12. - Top - End - #12

Flumph

I'm thinking that I could be a part of a relatively neutral organization loosely designed like Charlescomm from Erfworld... suggestions?
    I haven't read Erfworld, so I don't know anything about the Charlescomm, but an organization or group which tries to stay neutral while at the same time being forced to work with the big groups in the city to stay on their good side could be very fun.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

You both qualify for re-rolls if you want them; Deus, if you are keeping that roll, make the 17 an 18. I know point-buy is way more predictable, but I like old school of rolling dice. Too bad the forum doesn't have some sound effect....

@Morcleon:

Spoiler
    Show
    - One trait and one flaw. Let's stick to those published...some homebrew stuff in this area is very suspect, to my eyes.

- Published items only, please. If you wish to combine and customize, that requires a bit of role play, and establishing a relationship with someone to customize stuff for your character. These customization services exist at listed prices and take the listed times to customize (according to Item Creation feats...knowledge of an artificer with time reducers is a role playing matter, and I cap time reducers anyway), but it's a matter of me wanting role play to back up the existence of your character's coolness, instead of just stat-blocks in exchange for WBL. We can arrange for some of this role play to have taken place before or right at the beginning of the campaign, so that the time taken to produce stuff doesn't mess up the initial timeline.

- It seemed to me that iteratives with tomes are based on CL, using CL as BAB. The bit on tome mechanics was not especially well written, and we might want to clear up some of that early on. I've already adopted use of tomes into bits of the plot and such, so I'd like to have it clear in my head, anyway.

- Brief Glimpse is the only thing I'm having trouble wrapping my head around with Haruspex. I'll continue to meditate on it, as I'd like to have a good idea of exactly what one is allowed to change and what one has to stick with. It seems to me that the example actions (SR, saves, and such) aren't that useful to know about in advance, but I guess it gives knowledge of when it's crucial to do wings of cover or Abrupt Jaunt or the like. Useful, even with limited uses per day.

- Undead and demons are okay in some areas, where law enforcement is more lax or unreliable. But in the more upstanding areas of the city, the presence of unbound (no magic circle or w/e) fiends is forbidden, and the presence of uncontrolled undead is also forbidden. As your character is using dark magic to summon and control undead, you may want to concoct some scheme to look like an evil cleric, the better for convincing the authorities that you actually have a method of controlling the summoned undead. Dark Magic methods would be relatively unknown, compared to Turn/Rebuke, and the authorities will either not believe that you can do it on your word, or will take the opportunity to demand large bribes. The authorities are 100% likely to just wipe out your summons, if you fail to comply, and may additionally tail/divine on your character in order to prevent you from just summoning again, in addition to the standard fines and possible jail time/forced labor.

Joining an organization with the political muscle or influence to keep the Code-Keepers off your back might be a good way of handling this issue, and you mentioned something from a story or setting that I didn't recognize. Please elaborate. Many organizations of all stripes exist, but I'd like to work out the details myself or present you with several options more or less in line with your desires.

There are most certainly neutral groups within the city. Technically speaking, both the Code-Keepers and Axiorati are LN, which is a flavor of neutral, and they certainly have a fair number of TN members. If this is something you are both interested in (seems like it is as I review your posts), I can develop some stuff by tomorrow (or by today, tee hee, see below).

- Does Share Divination work on Brief Glimpse? To my reading, you'd still need to talk to your ally, since Brief Glimpse isn't a divination spell. I'm going to go with talking/telepathy being necessary, unless you can show me that it's supposed to work differently.

- Faerie Mysteries Initiate will require that you somehow meet the racial requirement and have a way to meet the role play flavor (a friend to ritual with). Such a friend may, at any time, request that you reciprocate and help him/her/it to change their ritual benefit; I'm ruling that aiding someone else in the ritual doesn't have to change the benefit you earlier selected. It also seems to me that there is probably a method of dispelling/suppressing the effects of the feat. Like emotion or mind-affecting spells. It's still probably worth taking, as you can just use the ritual again. I basically just want to make you aware that I will be ruling that the effect is not indefinite with no repercussions. We can discuss if that is a big deal.

- You'll need a role play justification for how your character is substituting Int for Cha. An actual "Lost Tradition" is possible, like having learned from some Sith Maste...*ahem*...relic of a forgotten way of using dark magic. Or your character might be some kind of anomaly with some kind of "Asperger's syndrome" of spellcasting. But that would also need to be role played as some kind of personality quirk or the like. Finally, intelligent undead or demons will role play differently with your character due to your character being unusual among Dark Mages. Just an rp change, really. Mechanic of Lost Traditions is fine.

@Deus:
    Spoiler
    Show
    - Morcleon got a lot of attention compared to you. I like the connection to the Shadowbanes. I'll consider how that will influence what I have in mind.

- I have been checking out the dysfunctional rules threads from time to time, and as a principle, I am extremely aware of RAW ranging from poorly conceived, to poorly edited, to internally inconsistent. I don't see it being a problem.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-07-23 at 03:48 PM.

Extended Sigbox

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

No one should be worried about double-posting. It's just the three of us. Fear not the Reaper on this matter.

And, to continue the trend, I'd like to make you aware that I will be adopting Xaotiq1's fix for monks for the npcs and enemies. Heads up, with a couple personal tweaks, monks move up to Tier 3 with this, so don't hear me say "Monk" and think "oh, right, what's the other side of the gestalt?" With gestalt, some of them will be very formidable, as befitting the Code-Keepers and others of the monkish persuasion.

Finally, here is a general stab at a few "neutral" organizations:
    Spoiler
    Show
    - Eyes of The Unseen: The Unseen is a Neutral thief god who also is patronized by many illusionists and diviners. The genderless god is broadly mysterious, and symbolizes the duality of reality/appearances, lies/truth, and existence/nonexistence. Many of his followers have a pretty Zen-like quality to their practice, but many do not and just like The Unseen's nonjudgmental views.

In any case, the Eyes of The Unseen is an organization with at least two main purposes (though there is just as much intrigue in this group as any other): First, to gather information on goings on in Mers (and beyond), by spying, recon, divination, or whatever other means. Second, to conceal activities going on in Mers from discovery by others. Abjurers and diviners abound in this organization, as do seers, telepaths, Psibond Agents, lurks, rogues, and ninjas. Finally, some of the clergy of The Unseen's church are also members of this group.

- Society of Sensation: It's a neutral organization, in any case. It's very much as described in the Planar Handbook, a multiplanar organization that skews slightly chaotic, but is overall full of all manner of people that want to experience the many flavors of existence.

- Numeria Ultima: This is an organization of the intelligentsia and various flavors of smart people and magic/psionics users. They collectively believe that mathematics is the underpinning of reality, and that numbers and their manipulation can allow one to unlock the secrets of the universe, manipulate its laws, and otherwise gain knowledge and power. They might not be far from the truth.

This organization provides mathematical instruction for free to the public, rents auditors, accountants, and scholars of this sort to other organizations without caring what said organization wants with them, and funds the investigations of the intelligent into all manner of phenomena. They widely espouse the usefulness of science, as well, and see math as the underpinnings of all learning generally. Alchemists, crafters, Geometers, and Loremasters are common within the ranks of this group, and the vast majority have magical or psionic ability of some kind. They interact a lot with those of The Omnichronicle, as well as with the members of The Kandori Interest.

- The Omnichronicle: This is a multiplanar group of record keepers, loosely affiliated with all manner of scribe organizations, god/desses of knowledge, and libraries of all stripes. They dispassionately record all things, and delve into secrets of all kinds across the multiverse. Thus, diviners and seers are key to their operation, and they don't much care for the obfuscation of the Truth (note the capital "T"...they are largely objectivists). They maintain strong connections with Mechanus, where they have a large branch office, but are nominally "Neutral," preaching general non-interference that allows their card-carrying members to come and go unmolested among planar conflicts and local disputes alike. They are mysteriously connected to the Dispassionate Watchers of Chronepsis, though no one is quite sure how this relationship first came about.

- The Kandori Interest: Named after one of the older of the ruling families of Merstangoth, The Kandori Interest has morphed in recent generations into a massive banking operation that has its fingers in virtually every profitable venture this side of Limbo. They dispense money to anyone for any reason on which they can reasonably expect to collect interest, and deal quite harshly with those that are consistently delinquent (usually with a mix of asset seizure, physical threats, and eventual indentured servitude/slavery/debtor's prison). Like any bank, they maintain crack teams of operatives to help with particularly stubborn asset seizure, the tracking down of delinquent debtors, and otherwise guard/secure the interests of The Interest. Cold and uncaring, the bottom line is the only king in the world of The Kandori Interest; all else comes in a distant second to their Prime Directive: Profit.

So that was off the top of my head. I'm sure more exist, but want to know if anything of this lot is of interest before I put more work behind the effort. I will now look up that Erfworld reference.

EDIT: There are certainly mercenary groups. Some of the above also field enforcement/spec-ops units, namely The Kandori Interest. We can discuss better fits, if necessary.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-07-23 at 03:51 PM.

Extended Sigbox

15. - Top - End - #15

You both qualify for re-rolls if you want them. I know point-buy is way more predictable, but I like old school of rolling dice. Too bad the forum doesn't have some sound effect....
    Oh, cool. I'll see if I can get something nice this time.

Spoiler
    Show
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[16]

EDIT: That'll do nicely.

- One trait and one flaw. Let's stick to those published...some homebrew stuff in this area is very suspect, to my eyes.
    Fine with me. Most of the homebrew stuff is really disturbing too.

- Published items only, please. If you wish to combine and customize, that requires a bit of role play, and establishing a relationship with someone to customize stuff for your character. These customization services exist at listed prices and take the listed times to customize (according to Item Creation feats...knowledge of an artificer with time reducers is a role playing matter, and I cap time reducers anyway), but it's a matter of me wanting role play to back up the existence of your character's coolness, instead of just stat-blocks in exchange for WBL. We can arrange for some of this role play to have taken place before or right at the beginning of the campaign, so that the time taken to produce stuff doesn't mess up the initial timeline.
    Alright. I was mostly just asking so I knew if I could. I might pick up some in-game...

- It seemed to me that iteratives with tomes are based on CL, using CL as BAB. The bit on tome mechanics was not especially well written, and we might want to clear up some of that early on. I've already adopted use of tomes into bits of the plot and such, so I'd like to have it clear in my head, anyway.
    They do use CL as BAB, but it only gives iteratives if the CL comes from a class that gives Tome proficiency.

- Brief Glimpse is the only thing I'm having trouble wrapping my head around with Haruspex. I'll continue to meditate on it, as I'd like to have a good idea of exactly what one is allowed to change and what one has to stick with. It seems to me that the example actions (SR, saves, and such) aren't that useful to know about in advance, but I guess it gives knowledge of when it's crucial to do wings of cover or Abrupt Jaunt or the like. Useful, even with limited uses per day.
    I believe reaction-type things are all that are allowed. It's kinda situational in its usefulness, as it requires such reactionary abilities to have much of an effect.

- Undead and demons are okay in some areas, where law enforcement is more lax or unreliable. But in the more upstanding areas of the city, the presence of unbound (no magic circle or w/e) fiends is forbidden, and the presence of uncontrolled undead is also forbidden. As your character is using dark magic to summon and control undead, you may want to concoct some scheme to look like an evil cleric, the better for convincing the authorities that you actually have a method of controlling the summoned undead. Dark Magic methods would be relatively unknown, compared to Turn/Rebuke, and the authorities will either not believe that you can do it on your word, or will take the opportunity to demand large bribes. The authorities are 100% likely to just wipe out your summons, if you fail to comply, and may additionally tail/divine on your character in order to prevent you from just summoning again.

Joining an organization with the political muscle or influence to keep the Code-Keepers off your back might be a good way of handling this issue, and you mentioned something from a story or setting that I didn't recognize. Please elaborate. Many organizations of all stripes exist, but I'd like to work out the details myself or present you with several options in more or less line with your desires.

There are most certainly neutral groups within the city. Technically speaking, both the Code-Keepers and Axiorati are LN, which is a flavor of neutral, and they certainly have a fair number of TN members. If this is something you are both interested in (seems like it is as I review your posts), I can develop some stuff by tomorrow.
    I think a bluff check and an unholy symbol should do, yes?

Ah, yes. Charlescomm from Erfworld. They're essentially a magical mercenary force.

- Does Share Divination work on Brief Glimpse? To my reading, you'd still need to talk to your ally, since Brief Glimpse isn't a divination spell. I'm going to go with talking being necessary, unless you can show me that it's supposed to work differently.
    Probably not. Telepathy could work, if I found a way to get it.

- Faerie Mysteries Initiate will require that you somehow meet the racial requirement and have a way to meet the role play flavor (a friend to trance with). Such a friend may, at any time, request that you reciprocate and help him/her/it to change their trance benefit. It also seems to me that there is probably a method of dispelling/suppressing the effects of the feat. Like emotion or mind-affecting spells. It's still probably worth taking, as you can just use the ritual again. I basically just want to make you aware that I will be ruling that the effect is not indefinite with no repercussions. We can discuss if that is a big deal.
    Wait, what exactly are the racial requirements?

- You'll need a role play justification for how your character is substituting Int for Cha. An actual "Lost Tradition" is possible, like having learned from some Sith Maste...*ahem*...relic of a forgotten way of using dark magic. Or your character might be some kind of anomaly with some kind of "Asperger's syndrome" of spellcasting. But that would also need to be role played as some kind of personality quirk or the like. Finally, intelligent undead or demons will role play differently with your character due to your character being unusual among Dark Mages. Just an rp change, really. Mechanic of Lost Traditions is fine.
    Alright... perhaps an actual Lost Tradition would work. Where instead of convincing such creatures to come by force of will, you essentially temporarily reprogram the universe to make these creatures appear. Maybe it could be kinda sorta related to Truenaming?

@Organizations: I feel that, of the listed ones, the Eyes of the Unseen would work best, as I really quite like the fluff behind it. Also the deity part lets me fake undead control, as I could simply pass off my dark magic as granted powers from the Unseen.
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2013-07-02 at 10:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

They do use CL as BAB, but it only gives iteratives if the CL comes from a class that gives Tome proficiency. Dark mages are proficient, according to their entry, with a CL= character level. But it seems like it is constructed to make it machine gun only for the homebrewed stuff. Thanks for helping me muddle through that bit.

I think a bluff check and an unholy symbol should do, yes? This will work just fine.

Wait, what exactly are the racial requirements?
    Please produce the text for me. I googled it and it seemed to be a regional feat for elves from Oerth (I think). But maybe I found some weird homebrew or mysteriously unofficial thing. I have no idea where the actual feat is from...some Dragon Magz, no doubt. From my not-official source: "Region: Celene, gray elf, high elf, Lendore Isles, tallfellow halfling, Verbobonc, wild elf, wood elf. (Oerth)" I'll allow it as long as you somehow are meeting that racial bit (the other regions are not allowed, as they aren't regions in my world).

Alright... perhaps an actual Lost Tradition would work. Where instead of convincing such creatures to come by force of will, you essentially temporarily reprogram the universe to make these creatures appear. Maybe it could be kinda sorta related to Truenaming? This sounds cool. I can run with that, though it won't actually be Truenaming, as I'm not yet sure how to fix that mess for my setting, beyond the existence of feats like Words of Creation and Dark Speech, that is.

@Organizations: I feel that, of the listed ones, the Eyes of the Unseen would work best, as I really quite like the fluff behind it. Also the deity part lets me fake undead control, as I could simply pass off my dark magic as granted powers from the Unseen. Indeed, that does work out nicely.
    Comments, clarifications, and a few questions above in bold, supposing the formatting works like I think.

As for the summoning nerf, I think I have it. In combat, it works as listed. Out of combat, you may summon undead/demons of the listed CR (have to figure out if this range is sensible still). Each summoning is a standard action and lasts for 1 minute/character level. (note that I just realized that Dark Mage's CL mechanic may negated CL optimization...gonna have to look at that.) You may repeat this summon (getting the same type of undead) a number of times each hour equal to your CL/character level (not sure how this is working...hmm), non-overlapping, non-consecutive. So basically, at this level, you can get 25 minutes of undead every hour. Generous enough, I think, and slightly more useful, as you won't be guaranteed to be having some undead in tow all of the time.

It's unclear to me if the undead summoned out of combat then prevent you from summoning another undead when an encounter starts. Seems to me the intent was one undead at a time.

While I will definitely allow the summoning and limited creation of undead to be in the grey space, using lots of create undead abilities will draw notice from npc necromancers, druids, and friends of Sirtaia, the sun goddess.

Is there any other background for my setting you will need ASAP to work on your characters? I can come up with stuff given time, and actually have more of it somewhere. *glances around some stacks of notebooks* Yeah, somewhere. Please ask if you want to know anything.

Oh, I forgot to add. The core cosmology is largely in effect in my world. The other published settings are actually other planets or Primes, and are separated from Galafrae by either crystal spheres or negotiated boundaries set by the pantheons of respective planets. I'm not entirely sure if Sigil exists in my world, as I was never terribly familiar with the specific of Planescape's divergence in earlier editions. It probably does, but it's existence as written may be problematic.

Just FYI.

EDIT: Oh, and Morcleon, make one of the 16s into an 18, and those rolls will be golden. Like I said, I usually do the same for enemies and npcs, so this is just making it sporting for the PCs.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-07-02 at 11:02 PM.

Extended Sigbox

17. - Top - End - #17

Flumph

@Deus:
    - Morcleon got a lot of attention compared to you. I like the connection to the Shadowbanes. I'll consider how that will influence what I have in mind.

- I have been checking out the dysfunctional rules threads from time to time, and as a principle, I am extremely aware of RAW ranging from poorly conceived, to poorly edited, to internally inconsistent. I don't see it being a problem.
    -No problem really, I haven't had many questions since I haven't run into any problems mechanically yet. However, I do plan on using a LA +2 race or template. I haven't decided wich one to go with yet, but just as a heads up.

The race, if I go with that, would be the Fey'ri from Monsters of Faerun (Updated to 3.5 in player's guide to faerun web enhancement). Since they are planetouched I was hoping to use the 'lesser' rule, detailed in PGtF 191 to lower their LA to +1.

The other option I'm considering is a Phrenic Whisper gnome.

- Cool, I just wanted to inform you, as there are a lot of stuff that can cause misunderstandings between players and the DM in 3.5... Nice to know you're on top of things

- Eyes of The Unseen
    The Kandori Interest
    I really like these two, but it would probably work best to be members of the Eyes, and occasionally do some work for the other organizations. I suspect that the Interest and the others hire people from the Eyes sometimes.

Is there any other background for my setting you will need ASAP to work on your characters? I can come up with stuff given time, and actually have more of it somewhere. *glances around some stacks of notebooks* Yeah, somewhere. Please ask if you want to know anything.
    I don't think so, I got what I need to start working. I'll pop back in later today with more mechanics questions.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, so I'm starting to picture the characters now, and it looks pretty cool.

I'll let you do phrenic, as we've established that the campaign has ample psionics and a high power level. I've looked around, and it seems like buyoff is normally available when not gestalting, and that gestalt just sticks the +2 (or +1 with lesser fey'ri) on one side or the other. This sounds sensible, especially with templates and fey'ri, both rather a notch above the races in the PHB. I hope this is what you were thinking, and if I've badly analyzed the situation, let me know. In any case, template away *goes to add templates to several npcs and villains*

Fey'ri are often considered a corrupted offshoot by other elves, and akin to tieflings. Due to their origins, they do tend to gather in small enclaves, unlike the more solitary tieflings. Basically, as a fey'ri, it's much more likely that your parents and other relatives are all or mostly fey'ri. This will be the case in Merstangoth. You'll be fine in the more anonymous, uncaring districts, but may do well to use disguises or aliases in the more upstanding (READ: snobbish) districts. Not that I anticipate many people seeing you.

As for whisper gnomes, know that I've displayed a personal bias toward many of the Small Folk in the past, with Athasian halflings and whisper gnomes being my two frequent offenders. I'd love to DM a phrenic whisper gnome...my my, that might lead to some interesting personality quirks, but please don't be swayed by my bias.

Whisper gnomes actually function much like fey'ri, being a somewhat insular group that doesn't fraternize all that much with other types of gnomes. Needless to say, whisper gnomes figure prominently among the annals of the thieves guilds of the city, and I can detail a number of famous heists and jobs purportedly pulled off by whisper gnome miscreants of the past and present (stuff a whisper gnome character definitely would have heard the scuttlebutt on). Thus, they are viewed suspiciously by many Big Folk and a fair number of their shorter kin, more in the manner of halflings than gnomes (but without all of the good-naturedness that often deflects some of the criticism leveled at halflings).

Anyway, it all sounds great. I look forward to meeting the finished products. *Goes back to making city*
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-07-03 at 09:20 AM.

Extended Sigbox

19. - Top - End - #19

Dark mages are proficient, according to their entry, with a CL= character level. But it seems like it is constructed to make it machine gun only for the homebrewed stuff. Thanks for helping me muddle through that bit.
    I've talked with the creator of that homebrew, and she said that it was designed that way. Otherwise you would have someone with Dark Mage 1/Wizard 19.

Please produce the text for me. I googled it and it seemed to be a regional feat for elves from Oerth (I think). But maybe I found some weird homebrew or mysteriously unofficial thing. I have no idea where the actual feat is from...some Dragon Magz, no doubt. From my not-official source: "Region: Celene, gray elf, high elf, Lendore Isles, tallfellow halfling, Verbobonc, wild elf, wood elf. (Oerth)" I'll allow it as long as you somehow are meeting that racial bit (the other regions are not allowed, as they aren't regions in my world).
    Oh, those regions are the prereqs... sorry, I've never really used regional feats before.

You have the right source and feat. I think I'll go with a grey elf then.

This sounds cool. I can run with that, though it won't actually be Truenaming, as I'm not yet sure how to fix that mess for my setting, beyond the existence of feats like Words of Creation and Dark Speech, that is.
    I wouldn't be Truenaming proper, but it would be a sort of pidgin Truespeak, as it were. And as for fixes, I particularly like Kellus' Truenaming fix.

As for the summoning nerf, I think I have it. In combat, it works as listed. Out of combat, you may summon undead/demons of the listed CR (have to figure out if this range is sensible still). Each summoning is a standard action and lasts for 1 minute/character level. (note that I just realized that Dark Mage's CL mechanic may negated CL optimization...gonna have to look at that.) You may repeat this summon (getting the same type of undead) a number of times each hour equal to your CL/character level (not sure how this is working...hmm), non-overlapping, non-consecutive. So basically, at this level, you can get 25 minutes of undead every hour. Generous enough, I think, and slightly more useful, as you won't be guaranteed to be having some undead in tow all of the time.

It's unclear to me if the undead summoned out of combat then prevent you from summoning another undead when an encounter starts. Seems to me the intent was one undead at a time.

While I will definitely allow the summoning and limited creation of undead to be in the grey space, using lots of create undead abilities will draw notice from npc necromancers, druids, and friends of Sirtaia, the sun goddess.
    Hm... so each hour, I can only summon one type of creature? And wouldn't I get 36 minutes of it? With 6/hour at a 6 minute duration each?

I'll ask her about the limit of creatures summoned.

I would expect no less.

Not yet... I won't have time to really work on my character until Friday, so I'll probably have questions for you then.

Oh, I forgot to add. The core cosmology is largely in effect in my world. The other published settings are actually other planets or Primes, and are separated from Galafrae by either crystal spheres or negotiated boundaries set by the pantheons of respective planets. I'm not entirely sure if Sigil exists in my world, as I was never terribly familiar with the specific of Planescape's divergence in earlier editions. It probably does, but it's existence as written may be problematic.

Just FYI.
    So is it possible to travel to another planets?

EDIT: Oh, and Morcleon, make one of the 16s into an 18, and those rolls will be golden. Like I said, I usually do the same for enemies and npcs, so this is just making it sporting for the PCs.
    Nice.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

You have the right source and feat. I think I'll go with a grey elf then. Sounds good. I'll have final say on your ritual partner, but if you have someone in mind (relative, childhood friend, mate/spouse), then I'll consider that. There could be multiple people, but there needs to be at least one other person with the feat.

I wouldn't be Truenaming proper, but it would be a sort of pidgin Truespeak, as it were. And as for fixes, I particularly like Kellus' Truenaming fix. I'm going to consider it some kind of mystical aria (as in a series of intoned words, not implying singing, hehe) kind of concept, which I've been working on. So, yeah, one of the Languages of Power, as they are collectively known, derived from the primal Words of Power that first delineated and formed the construct that we know as "reality." It will have nothing to do with Truenamer mechanics, so I won't have to deal with that, and operate as described in Dark Mage.

Hm... so each hour, I can only summon one type of creature? And wouldn't I get 36 minutes of it? With 6/hour at a 6 minute duration each? Ah, yes, the Force is strong with this one; your math is correct. Level 5 is somehow lodged in my mind, but it is in fact a starting level of 6. The limit on type is to keep it in line with the original duration, which was one summon of one type, duration one hour. Allowing multiple types would be radically more useful. Maybe a part of a nice homebrew summoner talent for later on?

So is it possible to travel to another planets? Theoretically possible, yes. In actuality, there are several complicating factors. One can't use any normal magic to move beyond crystal spheres, and often celestial bodies and the like are guarded by divine beings, dragons, and other epic level stuff. Spelljammer helms are required to traverse the phlogiston and interplanetary areas, and this technology is incredibly rare (as it's usefulness is questionable at best, since normal magic/tech can do just about every other thing imaginable, and knowledge of other worlds is a secret known only to a select few. Such knowledge is policed by the Demigod of Time, who limits the advance of certain areas of knowledge, technology, and magic on behalf of the overgod).
    I forgot to add that there is a Plane of the Sun (with two layers, one for each of the stars that my world orbits, which both are coexistant and switch regularly for dominance), a Demiplane of the Moon (strongly connected with time), and the Para and Quasi Elemental Planes (though they are much less defined regions than the four primary Elemental Planes). The Demiplane of Dreams, accessible through Dreamscapes is also a thing in my world. Those are the more well-known ones (though obviously still requiring knowledge checks for IC knowledge).

Finally, there is a place called the FeyRealm (pre-dating those darn WotC psychic copycats), which is a coexistant plane with the Prime. It's accessible through certain leylines and locales, but is extremely dangerous to enter without fey blood or the dispensation of powerful fey (and even then it's not an entirely friendly place). The main dangerous aspect is that the FeyRealm's time trait is highly morphic and varies from place to place for non-natives, who generally have a pretty nice time, then return home to find that they have aged a century or more in the span of a night (or have been absent for 500 years while spending only one day away in their personal timeline). The FeyRealm itself is like the Prime, but with brighter colors, stronger sensory stimuli, and a certain surrealism that many mortals find dangerously bewitching. It's physical features mirror the Prime, but powerful inhabitants of the FeyRealm often morph certain areas or features to suit their desires, meaning that the similarities are only generally present.

The FeyRealm is ruled by Lords and Ladies among the fey, who operate in a chaotic hierarchy, follow bizarre rules and etiquette, and largely do as they please, untouched by the matters of the mundane world (unless they want to be). The most powerful of these fey nobles are unique beings that rival greater gods for sheer power, but whose nature is tied to their innate sphere of influence.

Anyway, that may all be irrelevant to this campaign (beyond tangentially so with the Faerie Mysteries Initiate coolness). If you wish for more knowledge on the subject, I can elaborate. Otherwise, I'm just procrastinating on the planning front.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-07-03 at 11:55 AM.

Extended Sigbox

21. - Top - End - #21

Flumph

Question regarding the sublime assassin class: The assassin skill Trapfinding doesn't say that the assassin gain the actual trapfinding feature (as rogue), though it seems to imply that it does, and it gives bonus to spot instead of search for finding traps.

Here's the actual text:
    Trapfinding (Ex): A sublime assassin adds 1/2 his level to Spot skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks (minimum +1). A sublime assassin can use Disable Device to disarm magic traps.
    Since search can only be used to find traps with a DC lower than 20 if the character doesn't possess the trapfinding feature, as the rogue or something similar, do you think that not giving this to the class is an oversight by the author or intended? I believe that giving bonus ranks to spot instead of search is a typo, while I'm not so sure about the missing trapfinding feature in the Trapfinding assassin skill

Thoughts?

22. - Top - End - #22

Sounds good. I'll have final say on your ritual partner, but if you have someone in mind (relative, childhood friend, mate/spouse), then I'll consider that. There could be multiple people, but there needs to be at least one other person with the feat.
    Childhood friend. I think that would be the best.

I'm still not sure of the personal details behind my character yet (name, gender, appearance, personality), although the fourth is starting to form shape.

I'm going to consider it some kind of mystical aria (as in a series of intoned words, not implying singing, hehe) kind of concept, which I've been working on. So, yeah, one of the Languages of Power, as they are collectively known, derived from the primal Words of Power that first delineated and formed the construct that we know as "reality." It will have nothing to do with Truenamer mechanics, so I won't have to deal with that, and operate as described in Dark Mage.
    Cool.

Ah, yes, the Force is strong with this one; your math is correct. Level 5 is somehow lodged in my mind, but it is in fact a starting level of 6. The limit on type is to keep it in line with the original duration, which was one summon of one type, duration one hour. Allowing multiple types would be radically more useful. Maybe a part of a nice homebrew summoner talent for later on?
    Ah, that makes sense. And yeah, a homebrew summoner talent would be nice after a bit.

And I suppose the fluff behind this would be that opening a link out of combat allows me to make it properly (duration 1 min/CL) but is strong enough that it won't fade for an hour, making it impossible to summon other types of undead. An in-combat link is much less stable, and collapses once I stop feeling in danger. The homebrew talent could be a refinement of my abilities where I can create and collapse my links whenever.

Theoretically possible, yes. In actuality, there are several complicating factors. One can't use any normal magic to move beyond crystal spheres, and often celestial bodies and the like are guarded by divine beings, dragons, and other epic level stuff. Spelljammer helms are required to traverse the phlogiston and interplanetary areas, and this technology is incredibly rare (as it's usefulness is questionable at best, since normal magic/tech can do just about every other thing imaginable, and knowledge of other worlds is a secret known only to a select few. Such knowledge is policed by the Demigod of Time, who limits the advance of certain areas of knowledge, technology, and magic on behalf of the overgod).
    ...this sounds like the kind of place a gramarist would flourish in.

So are the planets just planets? Is there an actual, physical barrier between the planets?

I forgot to add that there is a Plane of the Sun (with two layers, one for each of the stars that my world orbits, which both are coexistant and switch regularly for dominance), a Demiplane of the Moon (strongly connected with time), and the Para and Quasi Elemental Planes (though they are much less defined regions than the four primary Elemental Planes). The Demiplane of Dreams, accessible through Dreamscapes is also a thing in my world. Those are the more well-known ones (though obviously still requiring knowledge checks for IC knowledge).
    What are said Para and Quasi elements?

Does the Dreamscape thing mean that Lucid Dreaming exists as a skill?

Finally, there is a place called the FeyRealm (pre-dating those darn WotC psychic copycats), which is a coexistant plane with the Prime. It's accessible through certain leylines and locales, but is extremely dangerous to enter without fey blood or the dispensation of powerful fey (and even then it's not an entirely friendly place). The main dangerous aspect is that the FeyRealm's time trait is highly morphic and varies from place to place for non-natives, who generally have a pretty nice time, then return home to find that they have aged a century or more in the span of a night (or have been absent for 500 years while spending only one day away in their personal timeline). The FeyRealm itself is like the Prime, but with brighter colors, stronger sensory stimuli, and a certain surrealism that many mortals find dangerously bewitching. It's physical features mirror the Prime, but powerful inhabitants of the FeyRealm often morph certain areas or features to suit their desires, meaning that the similarities are only generally present.

The FeyRealm is ruled by Lords and Ladies among the fey, who operate in a chaotic hierarchy, follow bizarre rules and etiquette, and largely do as they please, untouched by the matters of the mundane world (unless they want to be). The most powerful of these fey nobles are unique beings that rival greater gods for sheer power, but whose nature is tied to their innate sphere of influence.

Anyway, that may all be irrelevant to this campaign (beyond tangentially so with the Faerie Mysteries Initiate coolness). If you wish for more knowledge on the subject, I can elaborate. Otherwise, I'm just procrastinating on the planning front.
    ...interesting... it seems like the perfect place to plane shift a low will save target. Also, as I don't believe I have plane shift, it is almost entirely irrelevant. xD

Quote Originally Posted by DeusMortuusEst View Post
    Question regarding the sublime assassin class: The assassin skill Trapfinding doesn't say that the assassin gain the actual trapfinding feature (as rogue), though it seems to imply that it does, and it gives bonus to spot instead of search for finding traps.

Here's the actual text:

Since search can only be used to find traps with a DC lower than 20 if the character doesn't possess the trapfinding feature, as the rogue or something similar, do you think that not giving this to the class is an oversight by the author or intended? I believe that giving bonus ranks to spot instead of search is a typo, while I'm not so sure about the missing trapfinding feature in the Trapfinding assassin skill

Thoughts?
    That text is the almost the exact same text as the Pathfinder Trapfinding class feature for rogues (except using Perception instead of Spot). I think the writer may have been thinking in PF terms rather than in 3.5e.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

@Deus: Rather late here, but my sleepy eyes seem to be telling my brain that this looks like a typo or oversight of some kind. I'd consider the Sublime Assassin to grant trapfinding as the rogue class feature and give a bonus to related Search and Disable checks. So, no bonus to Spot.

@Morcleon:

- Para and Quasi Elemental Planes/zones (not sure how distinct they are) are areas where the four main Elemental Planes interact with each other (Paraelemental) and where each of those Elemental Planes interact with the Positive/Negative Energy Planes (Quasielemental). I'll probably have them be areas where the planar traits of the two planes in question overlap and blend. The main relevance is that it means that paraelementals and quasielementals are a thing in my world.

- I'd have to homebrew Lucid Dreaming, as what little I know/remember/have read about it seems to indicate that it's not well thought out. As a person who is actually capable of lucid dreaming irl, I'd really like to have some kind of cool skill along these lines, but alas, that is in the indefinite homebrew future, so to speak.

- I believe the so-called Crystal Spheres actually do constitute a physical barrier. In any case, most of the settings are actual planets (but I think, not all...Ravenloft is clearly a demiplane of some kind...working off 2e knowledge here). So, Athas, Aber-Toril, Krynn, Oerth, and (potentially) Eberron all exist as planets. For various reasons, the distance between these realms stands to be quite large, so a voyage by spelljamming ship may take a bit of time (and be fraught with peril).

Now, this does introduce problems, as the cosmologies of these worlds are incompatible on several levels. Well, shucks, I don't quite have an answer for this. But as travel between worlds is more or less deity-sanctioned only, it isn't too big of a problem. As many of the planes that change the most are also divinely morphic, I can probably work something out regarding the pantheons of each respective world.

- Only very powerful fey can shift directly from the Prime to the FeyRealm at will. Other fey must use special locales and rituals, while non-fey simply can not travel there by any means (including wish/miracle and the like) without the assistance of a fey creature. As you say, mostly irrelevant (except for the dozen or so ways to finagle planar travel without having actual spell access).

I'll try to ramble on less about my setting as we move forward. This is just a somewhat clumsy attempt to give you a feel for the wider world, and it's stuff that will likely become areas within the realm of character knowledge at some point, anyway. And, as I said, a bit of procrastinating regarding the planning, though stuff is shaping up.

I will be working on a list of districts and some kind of symbolic map of their layout (looking at about 20 districts total...big big city), and a list of other influential organizations that pretty much everyone would have cursory knowledge of.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-07-04 at 12:37 AM.

Extended Sigbox

24. - Top - End - #24

Flumph

That text is the almost the exact same text as the Pathfinder Trapfinding class feature for rogues (except using Perception instead of Spot). I think the writer may have been thinking in PF terms rather than in 3.5e.
    That would explain the odd wording.

@Deus: Rather late here, but my sleepy eyes seem to be telling my brain that this looks like a typo or oversight of some kind. I'd consider the Sublime Assassin to grant trapfinding as the rogue class feature and give a bonus to related Search and Disable checks. So, no bonus to Spot.
    Cool, trapfinding it is!

I'm following the planar discussion with interest, though I don't have anything to add to it at the moment.

I've decided to go with a whisper gnome, as that was my first pick as well.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, here's some cut-and-paste very rough idea of my pantheon. I will update it if I can lay hands on a more thorough version. Designing my world over two decades+ hasn't done much for my record-keeping system, which is still mid-transition to digital.

So, this is highly subject to change, but it gives a rough idea of the main figures. Nothing terribly original, really, as the seeds of this were from when I was in grade school.

Spoiler
    Show
    Overgod-
    Galafrae (rarely worshipped, most don't even know of his existence)

*Personification of Nature (holds a place higher than that of a greater god, but below that of Galafrae)

Greater Gods-

Sirtaia, Sun Goddess, Healing, Light, [lesser known dual-aspect as destroyer], [she shares the sun god role with another god that i'm still working on, as Sirtaia is the goddess during the periods of Sirstar dominance, as opposed to periods of Ristar dominance...has to do with there being two different layers on the Plane of the Sun.]

Emara, Goddess of All Magic

San, God of Knowledge, Agriculture (and rain in some areas), Monks, lesser influence over travel

Wraeth, God of Death,

Reth, Paladin God of Justice, Righteousness

Rath, God of Bloodshed, Violence

Helen, Goddess of Love, Fertility, and Passion

Joseph, God of Love, Families

Marnon, God of War

Lord Aemon, God of the Sky, Birds, Travel, Nobility, lesser influence over weather

Intermediate Gods-

Tommakin, Craft God, God of Artistry

The Dark Lady, Goddess of Murder, Assassins, Evil Thief God

Blaze, God of Vengeance, Cleansing Fire, lesser influence over the sun

The Unseen, Neutral Thief God, The Watcher

Brinsa, Goddess of the Waves, Breezes, Favorable Winds, Patroness of Sailors

Krystalline, Goddess of Ice, Crystals, Gems, Oracle Goddess

Lesser Gods-

Auril, the Frostmaiden, Goddess of Evercold (crossover from Faerun)

Demipowers-

Patrick Richards, Demigod of Time, Technology (limitation thereof)

And here, a better list, indexed by domains they offer (and also, as you might notice, incomplete):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Emara - Magic, Knowledge, Protection, (Spell, Oracle)
    San - Knowledge, Magic, Travel (Oracle, Mind, Herald)
    Tommakin - Knowledge, Protection (Craft, Creation, Trade) Fav. Wpn.: Warhammer
    Ternian - Animal, Plant, Sun, Water (Patience) Fav. Wpn.: Sickle
    Joyce - Good, Protection, (Creation, Hope)
    Joseph - Good, (Community, Patience, Renewal, Hope)
    Sirtaia - Sun, Healing, Good, Fav. Wpn.: Morningstar
    Reth - Law, Good, Protection, War (Inquisition, Fav. Wpn.: Longsword
    Rath - Chaos, Destruction, Evil (Wrath, Madness, Fury) Fav. Wpn.: Spiked Gauntlets
    Wraeth - Death, Evil, (Undeath)
    Marnon - War, Destruction, Strength (Wrath, Planning) Fav. Wpn.: Bastard Sword

Sally - Life, Death, Destruction (Balance, Creation)
    Blaze - Destruction, Fire, Good (Wrath, Retribution)

Tarse - Air, Water, Chaos (Storm, Windstorm,
    Brinsa - Air, Water, Luck (Ocean, Seafolk)

Lord Aemon - Air, Animal, Travel (Courage Fav. Wpn: Halberd (spear)
    Freya - Good, Fire, Luck (Craft, Pleasure) Fav. Wpn: Dagger
    Daenestrii - Earth, Healing, (Endurance, Patience)

Crystalynn - Earth, Good, Luck

Maelrik - Air, Evil, Destruction (Thirst)
    Sha-Enne - Animal, Earth, Evil (Hunt, Celerity, Bestial)
    Temnos - Water

Auril - Air, Evil, Water (Cold, Storm, Winter) Fav. Wpn.: Ice Axe

The Laughing Lady - Chaos, Trickery, Luck Fav. Wpn.: Rapier
    The Unseen - Trickery, Air, Knowledge (Planning, Dream, Illusion)
    Dark Queen - Evil, Trickery, Death (Corruption, Seduction, Pain)
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-07-06 at 12:31 PM.

Extended Sigbox

26. - Top - End - #26

Flumph

The pantheon looks interesting, I can see my character praying both to the Unseen and the Dark Lady, depending on the situation... Do the two have any special relationship?

Homebrew time! What do you think of the following disciplines?
    Thrashing Dragon and Crescent Moon? I was planning on switching Shadow Hand and Diamond Mind for these two if you're OK with that. I've used SH and DM a lot on swordsage characters in the past and I'd like to try something new.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

I can go ahead and okay Thrashing Dragon, but I want more time to review some of the Crescent Moon stuff. Some of the quasi-magical stuff is troubling, because I've noticed in the past that some of the ways that people normally counter magical stuff fails against the irregularly-Su ToB stuff.

But I'm leaning toward greenlighting both. The gestalt alteration to the power-level is quite high, I'm realizing. I'm not sure that the book was altogether accurate when it said that a gestalt character is more powerful than one normal character, but less powerful than two. Seems to me WotC there was low-balling the effects of synergy and versatility on the game. Their logic was based on action economy still being a limiter for gestalt characters. But you don't need twice as many actions to use your twice as big class features list if one of those class features gets the job done in half the time. Fail logic is fail.

In any case, I will do more reading. Thrashing Dragon seems quite cool, and I at least like the thematic bits of Crescent Moon.

EDIT:
    Oh, right, that other question. The Unseen is an oddball in the pantheon. The Dark Lady is part of a triad of evil gods that often find pragmatic reasons to temporarily cooperate: Wraeth, the evil god of death, Rath, the god of violence, and the Dark Lady. Their goals aren't entirely dissimilar, but their methods vary heavily.

Here's a bit I wrote about the Dark Lady (a.k.a. the Dark Queen, she goes by both monikers) many a year ago (actually did this as part of a project in high school...yep, D&D for homework). Should still be accurate, though the younger me seemed to have a fairly emo tone about the description:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Dark Queen is the goddess of temptation, betrayal and pain. She is the patron of assassins, and the work they do sows her seeds of strife and sorrow among the living. The Dark Queen is the personification of temptation and her goal is to lead all good people from their lives of happiness into the darkness of all-consuming passion, lust and betrayal. In this way she corrupts the good by hiding from their eyes the joys of life and introducing them into her world. This is a world of pain, misery and an endless desire for that which can not be achieved or obtained. She preys on those weakened by the loss of love, on those experiencing love for the first time who don't possess the wisdom of experience, and all others who are unwary of the powers of evil. The Dark Queen truly takes pleasure in witnessing a happy life of goodness become one of misery and evil. Her actions are subtle and insidious, but their effects are clear and highly destructive to the lives of the good.

The Dark Queen, voluptuous and seductive though she may be in person, has the secret of her power in the complete corruption of her servants. Such servants, too, take joy in wreaking strife and misery among the good of heart. Their dedication to the work they perform in the name of their goddess makes them powerful. The Dark Queen imposes a strong sense of self-deception on those that are not totally consumed by evil that leads them to believe that they are happy in doing what they do. The power of these servants of the Dark Queen is such that their very presence can cause the eruption of strife in otherwise peaceful lives and the eventual decimation of these unfortunate victims. Furthermore, once the Dark Queen has ruined the life of her hapless victim and overwhelmed them with grief and pain, she insidiously lures them into her web. This web introduces her prey into a continuous cycle of self-destruction that can humble even the greatest, most noble mortals to the level of a miserable, helpless wretch. She, in a way, "converts" her victim into beings of misery, shutting out the light of goodness in their lives and immersing them in pain and desire. Such conversion is only complete, however, once these victims begin to believe that they are happy in their new life of misery, happier, perhaps, than they were in their old life, and that in their contentment, they are obligated to "convert" others through their own evil deeds. Such a process is truly insidious, and much that is good remains vigilantly on guard for the signs of such evil at work in the lives of the good.

As mentioned above, the Dark Queen most often relies on her priesthood to advance her goals and power. To help them, she grants her followers powers which assist them in corrupting the lives of others to evil. Such powers and traits she bestows on them are guile, cunning, a dark physical appeal and a heart of ice that can only be warmed by the flames of another's pain or passion. To some, mostly assassins, she grants stealth and the ability to kill silently and without mishap. The Dark Queen's avatar appears as a female seductress clad in robes of woven silk and a dark, opaque veil that obscures her face. She speaks in hushed tones of sibilance that convey a complete and utter (yet false) desire to please those who listen to it. Her voluptuous body is enfolded by a very pale, white skin that wraps a figure that is the ultimate in temptation, but only to those blind with grief and seeking forgetfulness. The good can see in her eyes a dark, frozen flame that pulses with the rhythms of pain, betrayal, and the death of goodness to the spawning of her evil.

Note: The Dark Queen is sometimes depicted as being the wife of Wraeth, the Cold Terror. In truth, this is most certainly not so. Among evil gods, almost 100% of all alliances and pacts are formed out of convenience or necessity, never out of preference. Most evil gods desire the dominion of their evil over all else, even other types of evil. The Dark Queen and Wraeth may form alliances, but this is only because their respective spheres complement each other nicely, not because they are in any way "married." So such depictions of marriage among these two divinities are excusable, but they most certainly are not accurate.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-07-04 at 04:54 PM.

Extended Sigbox

28. - Top - End - #28

@Morcleon:

- Para and Quasi Elemental Planes/zones (not sure how distinct they are) are areas where the four main Elemental Planes interact with each other (Paraelemental) and where each of those Elemental Planes interact with the Positive/Negative Energy Planes (Quasielemental). I'll probably have them be areas where the planar traits of the two planes in question overlap and blend. The main relevance is that it means that paraelementals and quasielementals are a thing in my world.
    I see. But what exactly are the Para/Quasi Elementals? Like how the elements are fire, water, air, earth, the paraelements are...?

- I'd have to homebrew Lucid Dreaming, as what little I know/remember/have read about it seems to indicate that it's not well thought out. As a person who is actually capable of lucid dreaming irl, I'd really like to have some kind of cool skill along these lines, but alas, that is in the indefinite homebrew future, so to speak.
    Yeah, the current one is rather strange.

Can you really? That's awesome... is there any particular trick to making it happen?

- I believe the so-called Crystal Spheres actually do constitute a physical barrier. In any case, most of the settings are actual planets (but I think, not all...Ravenloft is clearly a demiplane of some kind...working off 2e knowledge here). So, Athas, Aber-Toril, Krynn, Oerth, and (potentially) Eberron all exist as planets. For various reasons, the distance between these realms stands to be quite large, so a voyage by spelljamming ship may take a bit of time (and be fraught with peril).

Now, this does introduce problems, as the cosmologies of these worlds are incompatible on several levels. Well, shucks, I don't quite have an answer for this. But as travel between worlds is more or less deity-sanctioned only, it isn't too big of a problem. As many of the planes that change the most are also divinely morphic, I can probably work something out regarding the pantheons of each respective world.
    What size are the Crystal Spheres in relation to the planet? (okay, now I've stopped asking questions for the game's sake, and am just whetting my own curiosity. xD)

@Deities: My character will probably be praying most to San, The Unseen and Wraeth. You should totally have Wraeth be neutral. Death isn't evil, after all.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

I see. But what exactly are the Para/Quasi Elementals? Like how the elements are fire, water, air, earth, the paraelements are...?

Can you really? That's awesome... is there any particular trick to making it happen?

What size are the Crystal Spheres in relation to the planet? (okay, now I've stopped asking questions for the game's sake, and am just whetting my own curiosity. xD)

@Deities: My character will probably be praying most to San, The Unseen and Wraeth. You should totally have Wraeth be neutral. Death isn't evil, after all.
    Alright, in reverse order:
    - There is, or should be, a Neutral god of Death. But that's not Wraeth. He's more:

Spoiler
    Show
    Wraeth is the Lord of Death, the Cold Terror, the master of cold, premeditated murder and of the various undead that roam the lower planes. (The planes are separate realms on which all gods and various other creatures reside, i.e. Heaven and Hell.) He is the patron of necromancers, and he rules the land of the dead in the lower planes. Those who are not sheltered or taken in by other gods after their death are rounded up by the shades that serve Wraeth and corralled into great cities that house the dead spirits. Wraeth, the Cold Terror is the irrational fear that grips the living in the depths of the night and holds their quivering hearts in an icy, iron grip with enormous strength. He is the fear that all that are doomed to die feel, but constantly ignore, usually by busying themselves with many things through their life until they are too busy to worry. Even those who seek to defeat death through unlife find that, through the centuries of time, their minds are inevitably twisted into a being that has only an all-consuming desire to do the work of this dark god. Wraeth completes the Triad of Darkness, and joining with Rath and the Dark Queen, he seeks to end the rule of the living and the good on the planet Galafrae.

Wraeth's followers are mainly comprised of the wizardly order of necromancers and a practicing fellowship of evil priests. On the side, one can count dark paladins and all the hordes of undead over which Wraeth has dominion. Wraeth's various types of servants all work to bring untimely death to the living and then summon those dead, be they willing or unwilling, into the service of the Lord of Death. Wraeth counts groups of the living among his followers because the living can hold more power over the inhabitants of Galafrae than the dead can. Such followers view themselves as extremely lucky that they are able to serve the Lord of Death in life, since it is to him that, in the end, all must travel to.

Wraeth's servants and his legions of undead do much of his work and he communicates with his followers through dream-like messages and various magical manifestations of his will. Wraeth is most likely to appear in his avatar form when leading his hordes of undead soldiers into battle, or when he prefers to witness some significant or apocalyptic event in person as opposed to at a distance. Wraeth's form is that of a large, emaciated man whose skin is pale, withered and in places only loosely attached to the bone, revealing an empty skeleton. The skin on Wraeth's face is drawn so tightly to the bone that it appears only as a livid skull. In his eyes burn two red coals, as if two pieces of the sun had been placed within the empty sockets of his skull. All flesh and muscle have left the avatar of Wraeth, leaving only a frame of bones and skin that is powered by the dark energies of death and unlife. Wraeth's strength is great and his icy, skeletal hands truly possess the grip of death. And when clad in his great, corroding suit of plate mail and carrying his mighty sword Essence Reaper, Wraeth is a sight which may freeze a brave man in his tracks, drive a good man gibbering mad, and cause a faint man to die on the spot. The visage of Wraeth is the visage of death incarnate, the ultimate bane to all life

So he's more a god of undeath and unnatural death. In terms of who covers the Neutral death is a normal thing, it's strangely Sally Berndain. But, setting-wise, she has a very small church. She's a goddess of Life-Death-Rebirth. I'm wondering if the pantheon has room for a Kelemvor, of whom I am a rather big fan.

In terms of death as a natural life phase in society, it's probably Joyce and Joseph, the gods of love. They are seen as aging together in their various avatars, and often appear as an old couple. Graceful aging and the acceptance of death as a good thing is probably in their domain of protecting the beauty of life and nurturing families.

- I believe, and don't quote me on this, that a crystal sphere for one setting encompasses that planet, it's moons, and other relevant celestial bodies. Thus, it can range from a wide orbit's width around a planet, to conceivably be even an entire solar system. It depends on how heavily we draw on real-life space, and the traditional D&D spelljammer answer was "not very much."

- My trick is narcolepsy, a sleeping disorder that causes one to REM like crazy, waaaaay more than normal people do. I enter REM very, very easily, and REM is where most dreaming takes place. By virtue of spending lots of time in REM, I learned how it works, how to influence it, and how to shape it.
    At first, I was troubled a lot by recurring things that scared me; dreams of free-falling from great height without a parachute were classic. But, eventually, the dream was so common that I became aware of it's dreamlike quality. Falling is less scary when you spend several hours each night doing it and never get hurt. Eventually I learned that, sometimes, stuff would be falling with me. Like a bed sheet or a pillow. And then I learned to make myself a parachute. It never hurts that I can usually force myself awake, just enough to interrupt the bad bit of the dream, and then slide right back to sleep, resuming dreaming minus whatever it was that was bugging me.
    The real issues began in adolescence. I suppose you might be able to guess what happens when you hook the adolescent brain up to a wish-fulfillment dream machine.

- So, from memory:
    Water meets Air: Ice Paraelemental Plane
    Air meets Fire: Smoke Paraelemental Plane
    Fire meets Earth: Magma Paraelemental Plane
    Earth meets Water: Mud/Ooze Paraelemental Plane

Now the tricky bit:
    Water meets Negative: Salt Quasi
    Air meets Negative: Vacuum Quasi
    Fire meets Negative: Ash Quasi
    Earth meets Negative: Dust Quasi

Water meets Positive: Steam
    Air meets Positive: Lightning
    Fire meets Positive: Radiance
    Earth meets Positive: Mineral

The quasi ones might be radically incorrect, as my 2e memory is both ancient and outdated. But I think you get the theme.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-07-04 at 09:19 PM.

Extended Sigbox

30. - Top - End - #30

Alright, in reverse order:
    - There is, or should be, a Neutral god of Death. But that's not Wraeth. He's more:

Spoiler
    Show
    Wraeth is the Lord of Death, the Cold Terror, the master of cold, premeditated murder and of the various undead that roam the lower planes. (The planes are separate realms on which all gods and various other creatures reside, i.e. Heaven and Hell.) He is the patron of necromancers, and he rules the land of the dead in the lower planes. Those who are not sheltered or taken in by other gods after their death are rounded up by the shades that serve Wraeth and corralled into great cities that house the dead spirits. Wraeth, the Cold Terror is the irrational fear that grips the living in the depths of the night and holds their quivering hearts in an icy, iron grip with enormous strength. He is the fear that all that are doomed to die feel, but constantly ignore, usually by busying themselves with many things through their life until they are too busy to worry. Even those who seek to defeat death through unlife find that, through the centuries of time, their minds are inevitably twisted into a being that has only an all-consuming desire to do the work of this dark god. Wraeth completes the Triad of Darkness, and joining with Rath and the Dark Queen, he seeks to end the rule of the living and the good on the planet Galafrae.

Wraeth's followers are mainly comprised of the wizardly order of necromancers and a practicing fellowship of evil priests. On the side, one can count dark paladins and all the hordes of undead over which Wraeth has dominion. Wraeth's various types of servants all work to bring untimely death to the living and then summon those dead, be they willing or unwilling, into the service of the Lord of Death. Wraeth counts groups of the living among his followers because the living can hold more power over the inhabitants of Galafrae than the dead can. Such followers view themselves as extremely lucky that they are able to serve the Lord of Death in life, since it is to him that, in the end, all must travel to.

Wraeth's servants and his legions of undead do much of his work and he communicates with his followers through dream-like messages and various magical manifestations of his will. Wraeth is most likely to appear in his avatar form when leading his hordes of undead soldiers into battle, or when he prefers to witness some significant or apocalyptic event in person as opposed to at a distance. Wraeth's form is that of a large, emaciated man whose skin is pale, withered and in places only loosely attached to the bone, revealing an empty skeleton. The skin on Wraeth's face is drawn so tightly to the bone that it appears only as a livid skull. In his eyes burn two red coals, as if two pieces of the sun had been placed within the empty sockets of his skull. All flesh and muscle have left the avatar of Wraeth, leaving only a frame of bones and skin that is powered by the dark energies of death and unlife. Wraeth's strength is great and his icy, skeletal hands truly possess the grip of death. And when clad in his great, corroding suit of plate mail and carrying his mighty sword Essence Reaper, Wraeth is a sight which may freeze a brave man in his tracks, drive a good man gibbering mad, and cause a faint man to die on the spot. The visage of Wraeth is the visage of death incarnate, the ultimate bane to all life

So he's more a god of undeath and unnatural death. In terms of who covers the Neutral death is a normal thing, it's strangely Sally Berndain. But, setting-wise, she has a very small church. She's a goddess of Life-Death-Rebirth. I'm wondering if the pantheon has room for a Kelemvor, of whom I am a rather big fan.

In terms of death as a natural life phase in society, it's probably Joyce and Joseph, the gods of love. They are seen as aging together in their various avatars, and often appear as an old couple. Graceful aging and the acceptance of death as a good thing is probably in their domain of protecting the beauty of life and nurturing families.
    ...I see. Not exactly what I was expecting, but still pretty cool.

- I believe, and don't quote me on this, that a crystal sphere for one setting encompasses that planet, it's moons, and other relevant celestial bodies. Thus, it can range from a wide orbit's width around a planet, to conceivably be even an entire solar system. It depends on how heavily we draw on real-life space, and the traditional D&D spelljammer answer was "not very much."
    Huh. Do you know where the original text for this information is?

- My trick is narcolepsy, a sleeping disorder that causes one to REM like crazy, waaaaay more than normal people do. I enter REM very, very easily, and REM is where most dreaming takes place. By virtue of spending lots of time in REM, I learned how it works, how to influence it, and how to shape it.
    At first, I was troubled a lot by recurring things that scared me; dreams of free-falling from great height without a parachute were classic. But, eventually, the dream was so common that I became aware of it's dreamlike quality. Falling is less scary when you spend several hours each night doing it and never get hurt. Eventually I learned that, sometimes, stuff would be falling with me. Like a bed sheet or a pillow. And then I learned to make myself a parachute. It never hurts that I can usually force myself awake, just enough to interrupt the bad bit of the dream, and then slide right back to sleep, resuming dreaming minus whatever it was that was bugging me.
    The real issues began in adolescence. I suppose you might be able to guess what happens when you hook the adolescent brain up to a wish-fulfillment dream machine.
    ...I have narcolepsy too.

I think I just have to sleep more... >.<

- So, from memory:
    Water meets Air: Ice Paraelemental Plane
    Air meets Fire: Smoke Paraelemental Plane
    Fire meets Earth: Magma Paraelemental Plane
    Earth meets Water: Mud/Ooze Paraelemental Plane

Now the tricky bit:
    Water meets Negative: Salt Quasi
    Air meets Negative: Vacuum Quasi
    Fire meets Negative: Ash Quasi
    Earth meets Negative: Dust Quasi

Water meets Positive: Steam
    Air meets Positive: Lightning
    Fire meets Positive: Radiance
    Earth meets Positive: Mineral

The quasi ones might be radically incorrect, as my 2e memory is both ancient and outdated. But I think you get the theme.
    I googled this, and most of what you had was right.