New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Nexus] Underside - The Third

This thread is for all actions and events taking place in Underside, the sprawling network of underground caverns beneath the surface of the Nexus. Underside is a vast, largely unexplored territory of the world, seemingly going on forever in all directions as well as further down into the depths of the world – often lit in a dim glow by the strange plants and fungi which grow in those labyrinthine tunnels. The Underside is often considered a separate world beneath the feet of the Nexus, operating under strange, foreign rules and keeping its business where it belongs.

Main Locations

Spoiler
    Show
    Undercity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Undercity is constantly expanding out into the tunnels, its hub located at the center of a large, open area in the rock. There, the city’s center is built into a massive stalactite, bridges extending to smaller ones in an expansive, web-like city above, even as buildings gaze up from below. It is lit by glowing blue crystals mined from the rock, used in lieu of lanterns or fire.

This city is ruled not by a single leader, but by a contingent of noble houses, each one involved in feuds and alliances with the others even as new houses spring up periodically throughout the city. The rules in the Undercity are simple – the nobles make the rules (so long as enough of them can agree on anything).

The one golden rule, however, is this: Undercity business is Undercity business - and if you mess with one of them, you mess with all of them. The Nobles may make the rules, but the citizen here are hard. They're a Family with a capital 'F', and nobody messes with family, be they topsider, outsider, noble, or even your own flesh and blood.

This isn't a haven for criminals and slavers, and the residents will let you learn that the hard way. Everyone here earned their keep, and pulls their weight in their own way. These people live in the harsh underground by choice.

They're fighters. They're survivors. And nobody messes with their family.

Good Example

The Tunnels
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is no one single description for the tunnels. The tunnels are not one location, but are instead a vast network of passageways and openings and nooks and crannies in the rock, some natural, some decidedly not. There are forests of towering, luminescent fungi, forgotten cities, rivers of water and magma, and cultures of all kinds. But the tunnels are not as romantic as they might sound – dark beasts lurk in the depths of the world, and one does not leave the relative safety of the Undercity without protection…

Rules
    All forum rules apply, godmodding rules apply.
    No destroying the Undercity is probably the biggest thing, and I'd prefer that this not be used as a hideout for topside criminals. In any case, criminals from topside who bring their troubles to the Undercity will likely be dealt with in whatever way the nobles can agree on - and oh…

Welcome to Underside.

Previous threads:
    The First
    The Second
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2011-12-04 at 07:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Underside - The Third

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    The Tunnels (Near The Undercity)

"I have a plan. I'm trying to make friends, get involved in their affairs, get some affairs of my own, and run with it from there. Exhibit 1: the conversation we are having." She shrugs. "Thanks for the tip, though. I'm new to this whole "socialization" thing. I'm beginning to see how important it is... even if it does seem silly."
    [The Tunnels (Near The Undercity)]

"Nah. Silly is a crab wearing a top hat and carrying a cane because it was invited over to a wedding... Only, it's the wrong crab, you see, and he's actually a bitter rival of the groom who got an invitation by mistake. And the cane is actually a hidden weapon on which he will pull out and demand a duel with the groom whenever the priest asks if there is any reason that the couple should not be married." Nephea said, clearly having a handle on what could be considered 'silly.'

"But yeah, it's a nifty skill. If you're really good, you can talk someone right out of their pocket change. It's actually not all that hard if you know the secret to it, though." the catamander said. There was a brief pause before she suddenly added: "Not that I'm a thief or anything. Just an alchemist's apprentice who's been hiding out from a strict master is all." That was a suspiciously specific explanation, there...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

"That...that is silly."

She thinks for a moment, but cannot top that degree of silly.

She then listens to the girl's denial. "Right. Similarly, I am a wild beast handler and siege gunner. OBVIOUSLY, these don't overlap very much. I mean, what would it take to do that? Badger ballista? That's asking for horrible flesh wounds..."

"Actually, that's not a bad idea. I bet those badgers would be really angry by the time they land. It's just a matter of making them survive and able to fight after the impact."
    Last edited by Lost_Deep; 2011-12-04 at 08:56 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Nephea scratched her chin for a bit, making sure not to accidentally uppercut herself whenever Stein took a step. "Well... What if you used a catapult instead? And... Maybe used tiny little parachutes to rain badgery face tearing from above?" she suggested.

"Or, what if you replaced cannon balls with armadillos? I'm pretty sure there is a spell out there to give them really hard skin for a while. Ooh! And turtle discus tossing! Snapping turtle frisbees!" the catamander continued. Apparently one had to get silly in order to mix two very unlikely vocations.

"So, how did you become both a siege engineer and an animal handler anyway? Did one start from a hobby and the other just pay well or something?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

The woman gives slight hehs and hahs as siege creatures are devised. When asked the question, she thinks for a moment.

"It's a long story... very, verrrry long. Oh, and boring. It's not really worth thinking about. I never got to siege anything, just training shots."

She shrugs, the smile gone from her face.

"And then I got in a spat with a caster who knocked me into this... Nexus place."

6. - Top - End - #6

"I dunno, that wizard part sounds pretty interes-OW! SONOVA-!" Nephea was interrupted by a loud 'Crack!' as the back of her head was stuck by a thick bit of tree root. Or rather, she raised her head up and a tree root happened to be in the way. Really, if Stein wasn't so tall, she would have been fine.. Or if she hadn't raised her head up at least. Given that she was hanging over the alchemical golem's shoulder, it would have been hard to see it coming either way, however.

Rubbing the back of her noggin, the catamander had a tight wince on her face before she seemed ready to continue. "Ow... Um.. Oh. Mages. Right. As I was saying, the whole wizard thing sounds pretty-" just to make sure, the catamander twisted her head to see if there were any other things about to give her a nasty surprise before finishing the sentence. "-interesting"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

The smile returns to the woman's face with that bit of... slapstick.

She shrugs. "Eh... there is this mage, see? And my boss says, "Stop that mage!" I don't know the specifics. I did my best, and the mage decided that the logical thing to do would be to throw me to a different plane. He goofed, and I'm here."

She shrugs.

"I don't know the why. Really a moment of someone else's story pushing itself into my life."

That's... not really truthful. She's been obstructing the truth this whole time, but this is the first time she did a bit of lying. She's a perfect liar, though, so there is no way to tell barring supernatural truth sense.

8. - Top - End - #8

"I dunno. I think the mage got the 'other plane' bit right. It's a great big mish-mash of wibbly-wobbly spacy-wacy stuff here. You get used to how things work around here sooner or later but it's some hard learning, that's for sure." the catamander said. An unsteady step by Stein and a string necklace attached to about a quarter of a red-lined mask fell out from within wherever it was hiding. Probably an inside pocket. It seemed like an odd artifact, one that might have some value if it were all in one piece.

"At least he didn't try to kill you or anything. Really, it's more like he's just putting you into a time out or something... That really doesn't end. I mean, it's not impossible to find your way back but most people don't want to leave after a while of sticking around here." the catamander said in a voice that was possibly consoling.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, then, I- whoop, something came loose."

If the mask dropped all the way to the ground, the woman will pick it up. If it is merely dangling, she will just point it out. There was some temptation to steal it, but she decides that the chance of it being an important magical object is too small to endanger this "friendship" thing.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZarethG View Post
    Inside Below - VC

"Actually, I didn't come to see you, specifically. I heard that my friends (the tieflings) were going to the Inside Below, and I hadn't been here before so I came to see what it was like. If you hide away from the market, which I assume is not because of some bizzare magical effect but because of attempts made on your lives, how can you have business at the market at all? Wouldn't the same problems arise?"
    [Inside Below - VC]

"Not unless someone is fool enough to break Market Truce. And if they were, the problem would soon resolve itself. The Floating Market, by its nature, must be a place where anyone and everyone is safe. Those that disregard that are not taken kindly to, even if the target is a Velvet. After all, it sets a precedent. Say we are not under the Truce, and what stops the next one not covered being your group?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    [Inside Below - VC]

"Not unless someone is fool enough to break Market Truce. And if they were, the problem would soon resolve itself. The Floating Market, by its nature, must be a place where anyone and everyone is safe. Those that disregard that are not taken kindly to, even if the target is a Velvet. After all, it sets a precedent. Say we are not under the Truce, and what stops the next one not covered being your group?"
    "I see. I was unaware of this Market Truce, but it makes sense. Is it a magical effect that punishes violence, or is it more of a law, just enforced by everyone?"
    Awesome Faerie by Ceika

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false. This sentence is false. I'm lying.

Yay paradoxes!

"Pieces of music are vegetables for your brain."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZarethG View Post
    "I see. I was unaware of this Market Truce, but it makes sense. Is it a magical effect that punishes violence, or is it more of a law, just enforced by everyone?"

"Just a law, kept by all. Which, of course, often means magical effects are employed to punish violence. But no, there is nothing inherently magical about it."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post

"Just a law, kept by all. Which, of course, often means magical effects are employed to punish violence. But no, there is nothing inherently magical about it."
    Inside Below - VC

"Interesting. I think I'll go look around in the market, explore a bit. Thank you for answering the questions of a clueless traveller. It was a pleasure to meet you."

With that, unless Mira says something, Leonardo will bow a bit (difficult on a tree) and leap off, landing in a roll and walking towards the Floating Market.
    Awesome Faerie by Ceika

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false. This sentence is false. I'm lying.

Yay paradoxes!

"Pieces of music are vegetables for your brain."

14. - Top - End - #14

While the necklace had slipped from it's hiding place, it was still securely around the catamander's neck. Though, she seemed to appreciate the gesture anyway and tucked it back into safety. "Oh! Thank you. Wouldn't do if I were to lose this thing again. Not after the first time.... Actually..." a small glimmer glossed over Nephea's yellow-green eyes as she appraised the woman. "Just wondering here but have you maybe seen any fragments of a mask around anywhere?" she asked. Apparently, there was some importance to it and it wasn't just sentimental.

What it actually was would be anyone's guess, though.

Or... One could just ask. That's also an option.
    Last edited by Terumitsu; 2011-12-06 at 08:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Nope, afraid not. I haven't been around long enough, so things like that are out of my reach. I'll keep my eye out, though."

A casual pause.

"Hey, out of curiosity, what happened "Last time?""

16. - Top - End - #16

Generally, this was the part where the askee would say something along the lines of 'I'd rather not talk about it.' and maybe throw out a few vague hints. The particularly broody, shell-shocked, or attention seeking folk would usually drift off for a bit and mutter some half-sentences before realizing what was going on.

Nephea, however, had an entirely different reason for not having much information. "Would you believe I don't really remember?" she said with a meek grin. "I... Kinda have feelings on what happened but until almost a year ago. It's like I woke up from sleepwalking for... I dunno... A long time. First thing I noticed was this mask fragment in my hand and all I could remember was that it was important. For a while I just survived. No name, no real past... It probably wasn't my best hour." the catamander said, her ears flattening against her head somewhat.

"Finally found out where another fragment was and, with some help with this nice kid named Rick, was able to retrieve it. Remembered who I was and a few other things. Well, a Lot of other things but mostly in bits and pieces. Before it was like having a million puzzle pieces all on the floor. Now it's like the million puzzle pieces are actually a part of several different puzzles all mixed together." Nephea said with a sigh, rolling her eyes to indicate exasperation. "Best I can tell is that this thing is linked to me somehow. Not just memories either but that's the most obvious thing. I've kept a pretty keen eye on the thing and I'm dead certain that there are small serifs in the design here... and here.... that weren't there before. They only really started appearing when I began apprenticing so I guess it's a way to know that I've actually learned something." she said with a grin.

"Oh! The thing is stupidly resilient too. Blocked a sword and didn't come out with even a scratch. Then again, I know it was only broken apart by a pretty powerful bit of magic so I suppose I'm kinda lucky there. It'd suck if any of the other parts were accidentally broken or ground up into dust... Though.. There was one odd thing..." the catamander trailed off here, apparently long overdue for those aforementioned 'half-mutterings.'

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

The woman nods and listens. She remembers this, puts it away for later reference. She will have to remember this, and see if she can't help this poor girl... and maybe get some loot along the way.

"There was one odd thing? Odder than this whole thing? Sounds important."

18. - Top - End - #18

"Well. Odd to me. It's like.." Nephea nibbled lightly on her inner lip as she tried to come up with the best way to describe this particular brand of 'oddness,' her tail flicking back and forth as she pondered.

"Okay. It's like waking up each day and feeling as if you aren't in the shape you should be... And I don't mean lacking in excessive but it's as if I'm missing something or maybe not even in the form I'm supposed to be in... Though I have no idea what I should look like if that was the case. It comes and goes but it's mostly just an annoyance, really." the catamander said, shrugging. Really, it would be hard to guess what other shape an impish-humanoid-catlike-salamanderish-thing would take if it was supposed to be something else.

It was also probably not what the woman was expecting, either.
    Last edited by Terumitsu; 2011-12-06 at 10:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Hmm. That does sound odd... If you were able to shapeshift before, and you were shifted when the mask broke, that might explain it. No memories of the original for to know what you should be, or how to go about turning back, but you know on a deep subconscious level that you are in the wrong body. Yeah, I bet that's annoying. So, have you gotten a new name yet?"

Why would she know about shapeshifing?

20. - Top - End - #20

"Nah. I'm pretty sure I wasn't a shape-shifter. It's not that big of a change... It's more like not having the pinkies on your hands. Annoying but not a huge difference. It's like something is not all there or at least not where it should be... Again, another part of the puzzle. Besides, why turn into different things when I've got Amazing Shadow Magjicks!" the catamander said, intentionally distorting the way she pronounced the word as well as waving her fingers about in a silly manner. She just barely managed to spit the whole thing out before breaking up into giggles.

"And I don't need a new name. Remembered the old one as I said. Kinda nice feeling, actually. It's like I got more back than just my name when I remembered it. Anyway, I suppose I should stop jabbering about things now as I'm guessing that's a subtle hint for me to introduce myself!" she said.

"Jus' call me Nephea Mwizi."Nephea said, holding out a hand as if to shake... Even though the distance was far enough away as to make the gesture somewhat absurd. Being carried by a tall alchemical golem had that effect.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Challenge accepted.

The woman times her action with the golem's steps, so she can use its knee to jump onto its front. With a bit of luck, she can get a handhold and a foothold without any pinching and get her other hand over to shake Nephea's hand.

"Everyone calls me Connie."

She will then try to drop off and out of the way of heavy Golem feet.

22. - Top - End - #22

[The Undercity]

It would be a short thing but even that would be enough. One quick handshake later and the catamander was beaming a wide, slightly fangy grin. "Hello Connie. Nice bit of footwork there. Didja' learn that from taming the meaner animals or did you have to be a lightfoot when working with siege equipment?" the catamander inquired. She bet it was actually neither choice but it didn't really matter all that much.

While the pair... Or rather trio had been traveling for a good while now, they had been coming ever closer to the Undercity. While they were not quite at the very limits yet, one could see the multicolored light of various glowing fungi and mosses around the bend. It was actually rather pretty with the soft blues and the nearly radioactive greens.

There was a faint yellow here and there as well but it was generally ignored in favor of the more aesthetically pleasing colors.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Undercity

"One word: Badgers."

BADGERS. Dangerous, vicious creatures that aim to sterilize before they kill you.

"Hey, that's pretty. What're we coming up on?"

24. - Top - End - #24

[The Undercity]

"Badgers? That.. Explains quite a lot, actually." Nephea said, a bit of dull surprise creeping into her reaction.

"Oh, are we there now? Took long enough." the catamander said. Given that she was in a position where she wouldn't be able to see directly where the golem was walking, she couldn't say for sure but she was pretty confident that they were near the Undercity by now. She'd be quite aware of it once they entered the massive cavern where the center of the city lay.

This, of course, would be an opportune time to describe the place but, given that it's already described quite well, going over anything other than the finer points would just be silly.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Undercity

Connie gets a good look at the undercity. It's quite magnificent.

"That is impressive. I've never seen anything quite like that. I've heard stories, of course, but..."

She takes it in for a bit.

"I wasn't expecting something quite so... bustling. It's very impressive... and big. I hope you don't mind if I tag along with you? I'm not used to cities at all, really."

"Connie" has been telling half-truths and lies since she started talking, but she honestly does not have any city experience.

26. - Top - End - #26

[The Undercity]

"Couldn't stop you if I tried, really. Not able to move on my own accord yet, you know?" the catamander said, jabbing a thumb at Stein.

"But yeah, it's a nice place here. Common sense rules apply and the people can be a bit-" "Hey Nephea! Old man finally caught you, did he?" a rough-and-tumble orc called with a toothy grin. "Yeah! I think I beat my old record though!" the catamander called back with a smile. The orc just laughed and continued on his way, ending the brief exchange.

"Right, the people can be kinda hard on a newcomer but they're good folk. Like Dawgro just now." Nephea explained, finishing her earlier thought. "Well, we're on our way to my master's here in a bit and I don't think I'll be let out for a while. I think you'll be on your own after we get there so this is just a friendly bit of advice." she said with a sheepish expression

Seems like she wasn't looking forward to the reunion.
    Last edited by Terumitsu; 2011-12-08 at 11:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Undercity

"Well, I'll use my brain. It's for thinking."

A slight pause.

"Can't move... what, did he break your legs? Or... are you a cripple, or what?"

A bit rude there, Connie. You could at least add a 'if you don't mind' or something.

28. - Top - End - #28

[The Undercity]

"No, nothing like that. I'm not really even being held that tightly here and I could have escaped any time I wanted... But that would just be perpetuating things and I really don't want to have a big clumsy golem tromping around and smashing people's stuff as it looks for me on my conscience." the catamander said, revealing an awfully mature side for just a moment.

"I mean, he punched a hole in the floor of the Black Dragon's Den just to get the drop on me. He's efficient alright but the thing has no regard for others' property." This could be an odd statement coming from someone who flatly proclaimed to 'totally not be a thief.' It didn't sound as if she was making it up to keep a guise of innocence either. Strange, that.
    Last edited by Terumitsu; 2011-12-08 at 11:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Undercity

"Ah. Okay. Hmm. You're a smart girl."

A pause. Connie examines the locations they walk past.

"Hey, before we part ways, mind telling me what kind of creatures live in these caverns? I want to know what kind of creatures I may have to wrangle if I take a creature handling job."

Yes... a job.

30. - Top - End - #30

[The Undercity]

"Well, if you avoid anything with teeth, claws, eyes, more than one mouth, less than one mouth, just one mouth, pincers, stingers, mandibles, or legs, you should be fine." Nephea said. This probably wouldn't be a lot of help...

"Nah, but really, you can tell most of the stuff you should keep away from but I recommend to make sure that the stalagmites are actually stalagmites and not something else just pretending. Also, stay way from any glowing lakes that you can't see the bottom of. They can get pretty deep and some really nasty things tend to live in them." the catamander amended, this time giving something more akin to actual information.

The golem quite suddenly stopped in-front of a slightly ramshackle store from which strange smells were emanating. "Well, looks like my stop here. See you around, Connie!" Nephea said as the golem walked through the front display.

That is to say, directly through without even attempting to use the door. A wheezy voice could be heard shouting profanities soon after...