New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [D&D 3.5 PrC] Twin-Pact Invoker (Warlock/Dragonfire Adept) (WiP)

TWIN-PACT INVOKER

Hit Die: d6

Requirements
    Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks
    Special: Eldritch blast +2d6.
    Special: Breath Weapon +2d6.

Class Skills
    The twin pact invoker's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all, taken individually), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
    Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Table 1-1: The Twin-Pact Invoker
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Invoking
    1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Twin-Pact Invoking|+1 level of warlock invoking ability/+1 level of dragonfire adept invoking ability
    2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|-|+1 level of warlock invoking ability/+1 level of dragonfire adept invoking ability
    3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Eldritch Breath|+1 level of warlock invoking ability/+1 level of dragonfire adept invoking ability
    4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|-|+1 level of warlock invoking ability/+1 level of dragonfire adept invoking ability
    5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Dragonfire Blast|+1 level of warlock invoking ability/+1 level of dragonfire adept invoking ability
    6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|-|+1 level of warlock invoking ability/+1 level of dragonfire adept invoking ability
    7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Shaped Breath|+1 level of warlock invoking ability/+1 level of dragonfire adept invoking ability
    8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|-|+1 level of warlock invoking ability/+1 level of dragonfire adept invoking ability
    9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|-|+1 level of warlock invoking ability/+1 level of dragonfire adept invoking ability
    10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Eldritch Breathweapon|+1 level of warlock invoking ability/+1 level of dragonfire adept invoking ability [/table]

Class Features

Invocations: At each level, you gain new invocations known and an increase in caster level as if you had gained a level in warlock and a level in dragonfire adept (including eldritch blast and breath weapon). You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of those classes would have gained.

Twin-Pact Invoking: For the purposes of determining the highest grade of invocation you may possess; add your warlock, dragonfire adept, and twin-pact invoker levels. For example, a warlock 3/dragonfire adept 3/twin-pact warlock 5 could possess greater invocations, being treated as 11th level in both warlock and dragonfire adept for the purpose of invocation levels. This has no effect on the twin-pact invoker's effective caster level.

Eldritch Breath: Upon attaining 3rd level, you gain the ability to apply eldritch essence invocations to your breath weapon as if it were eldritch blast.

Dragonfire Blast: Upon attaining 5th level, you gain the ability to apply breath effects to your eldritch blast as if it were your breath weapon.

Shaped Breath: Upon attaining 7th level, you gain the ability to apply eldritch shape invocations to your breath weapon as if it were eldritch blast.

Eldritch Breathweapon: At 10th level you gain the ability to fully merge your eldritch blast with your breath weapon. As a full-round action, you may use both eldritch blast and your breath weapon. Doing so restricts you from applying breath effects, shape invocations, or essence invocations to either effect. Your eldritch blast takes on the shape of your breath weapon.
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2013-07-15 at 11:40 AM.
    Extended Signature

Guide to becoming a demon in Pathfinder

Special thanks to Gurgleflep for creating my Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: [D&D 3.5 PrC] Twin-Pact Invoker (Warlock/Dragonfire Adept) (WiP)

I'll admit, I did a double-take when I saw this things has no class features, but if it has progression in BOTH its classes...well shoot, I want be a dragonfire adept-warlock with this class maxed out.

Of course, it's simple to expand this class; it provides another "invoker level" to both of its prerequisite classes and increases BAB and saves as the charts say. Interesting work, sir.
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I have one of these too.

This'll do fine to finish out the progression.

Though, one note:

Due to conflicting action costs, it is kind of pointless to have both Eldritch Blast and a Breath Weapon. Seriously, you could have a class feature that turns the Breath Weapon into a Blast Shape, and give the breath effects the ability to be used as Eldritch Essences. Then there would be a blend, and no real change in the power level.

Other than that, it looks fine-ish.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JBPuffin View Post
    I'll admit, I did a double-take when I saw this things has no class features, but if it has progression in BOTH its classes...well shoot, I want be a dragonfire adept-warlock with this class maxed out.

Of course, it's simple to expand this class; it provides another "invoker level" to both of its prerequisite classes and increases BAB and saves as the charts say. Interesting work, sir.
    I initially come up with some class features, but I wasn't certain about where to put them (if putting them in at all). Letting shape and essence invocations be applied to breath weapon, breath effects to eldritch blast, maybe even the ability to use both simultaneously but without being able to apply breath effects/essence invocations/shape invocations. But I worry those might be a bit much.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hmm I admit this is pretty interesting. Amechra does have a point, features blending eldritch blast and breath weapon would be pretty interesting and would help with giving this class a special flair. I like the idea overall though.

It'll just take a little thinking through and balance to get it. I'm sure you can. I like the applying breath effects to eldritch blasts ideas best. How many invocations would a warlock 5/dragonfire adept 5/twin-pact invoker 10 have anyway? I think quite a few.
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I've now added a few features that help mix eldritch blast and the breath weapon. Balancing and help on wording may be needed, they almost certainly will be, but the basic ideas are there.

Quote Originally Posted by Haluesen View Post
    ….How many invocations would a warlock 5/dragonfire adept 5/twin-pact invoker 10 have anyway? I think quite a few.
    9 Warlock Invocations
    6 Dragonfire adept invocations

They would also have..

Eldritch Blast: 7d6
    Breath weapon: 7d6

Breath effects known: 2

BAB: +10/+5
    Fort: +8
    Ref: +5
    Will: +15

HP: 5d8 + 15d6
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2013-07-15 at 12:46 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Wow that is quite a few, more than I think either class on its own allows you but that is the point of theurge classes. I don't know how balanced this class is compared to others for a typical game, but it at least looks like a fun one to play. I commend you Xuldarinar.

Wondering could I possibly borrow this for a campaign to use against my players at some point? The whole campaign is highly magic based (centered actually) and this would make for an interesting type of enemy.
    Show
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow that is quite a few, more than I think either class on its own allows you but that is the point of theurge classes. I don't know how balanced this class is compared to others for a typical game, but it at least looks like a fun one to play. I commend you Xuldarinar.

Wondering could I possibly borrow this for a campaign to use against my players at some point? The whole campaign is highly magic based (centered actually) and this would make for an interesting type of enemy.

By all means, use it. I don't put things up here just for show after all. I enjoy hearing that my creations actually get put to use.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Feel free to mix in my Scion of Ashardalon as well; you can get in earlier, and then progress stuff a bit faster.

An example: Warlock 3/Dragonfire Adept/Scion of Ashardalon X/Twin-Pact Invoker Y.

Mix to taste.

Scion of Ashardalon would lower the number of invocations that you know by 2-3, but would allow you to mix in Sorcerer spells as well.

I just noticed one other problem with this class: unless you take another duel-progression PrC afterwards, you can't get Dark Invocations for both of your classes. Is this intentional or not?

After all, the example Dragonfire Adept 5/Warlock 5/Twin-Pact Invoker gets 15 invocations... but none of them are any degree greater than Greater, and you only start getting Greater invocations at 16th level.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I might have to give that mix a little try, see what comes of it. Of course the party is only average level 5 right now, so it might be some time, even if I made a character 2 or 3 levels higher than them.

And cool, I just always tend to ask before I borrow something. That's why I assume people put up their homebrew, to see it get used and appreciated. And I intend to see what I can do to my players with this.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Is this the game with the Monk player, by any chance?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Feel free to mix in my Scion of Ashardalon as well; you can get in earlier, and then progress stuff a bit faster.

An example: Warlock 3/Dragonfire Adept/Scion of Ashardalon X/Twin-Pact Invoker Y.

Mix to taste.

Scion of Ashardalon would lower the number of invocations that you know by 2-3, but would allow you to mix in Sorcerer spells as well.

I just noticed one other problem with this class: unless you take another duel-progression PrC afterwards, you can't get Dark Invocations for both of your classes. Is this intentional or not?

After all, the example Dragonfire Adept 5/Warlock 5/Twin-Pact Invoker gets 15 invocations... but none of them are any degree greater than Greater, and you only start getting Greater invocations at 16th level.
    I had noticed you wouldn't get dark, but didn't pay it much mind to it. A solution to this, however, would be extending the class. Reasonably, i could stretch it to a 14 level PrC.

Of course, doing so would mean a Warlock 3/Dragonfire adept 3/Twin-Pact Invoker would have:

10 Warlock Invocations
    7 Dragonfire adept invocations

Eldritch Blast: 8d6
    Breath weapon: 8d6

Breath effects known: 1

Ref: +6

HP: 3d8 + 17d6

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, my solution was to have levels in your Invocation-granting classes stack for the purposes of what grades of Invocations you can get.

So a Dragonfire Adept 3/Warlock 3/Whatever 1 would be able to take Greater Invocations for either side.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Is this the game with the Monk player, by any chance?
    Yes actually it is. I try to only have one campaign running at a time. I don't usually have the time or creativity for more than that, though I was maybe considering starting a pbp campaign at some point, since that would go slower I figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    I had noticed you wouldn't get dark, but didn't pay it much mind to it. A solution to this, however, would be extending the class. Reasonably, i could stretch it to a 14 level PrC.

Of course, doing so would mean a Warlock 3/Dragonfire adept 3/Twin-Pact Invoker would have:

10 Warlock Invocations
    7 Dragonfire adept invocations

Eldritch Blast: 8d6
    Breath weapon: 8d6

Breath effects known: 1

Ref: +6

HP: 3d8 + 17d6
    I suppose it is possible. I just figured it was like with a cleric/wizard/eldritch theurge, who typically (just typically ) doesn't get access to 9th level spells.

Well, my solution was to have levels in your Invocation-granting classes stack for the purposes of what grades of Invocations you can get.

So a Dragonfire Adept 3/Warlock 3/Whatever 1 would be able to take Greater Invocations for either side.
    That was like one of the class features for the Scion of yours right?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Yep, it is.

Dark invocations are more comparable to 7th level spells, really.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Added:

Twin-Pact Invoking: For the purposes of determining the highest grade of invocation you may possess; add your warlock, dragonfire adept, and twin-pact invoker levels. For example, a warlock 3/dragonfire adept 3/twin-pact warlock 5 could possess greater invocations, being treated as 11th level in both warlock and dragonfire adept for the purpose of invocation levels. This has no effect on the twin-pact invoker's effective caster level.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Just something I noticed for both invoking theurge classes, but do either of them add levels for determining learning new breath effects? Since breath effects are actually not invocations, and therefore not part of the invocation progression.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Just something I noticed for both invoking theurge classes, but do either of them add levels for determining learning new breath effects? Since breath effects are actually not invocations, and therefore not part of the invocation progression.
    I do not believe so. I think that would require a specific entry regarding them. They do not fall under the breath weapon class feature, nor under invocations, which I think are the only things advanced for dragonfire adepts.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    I do not believe so. I think that would require a specific entry regarding them. They do not fall under the breath weapon class feature, nor under invocations, which I think are the only things advanced for dragonfire adepts.
    Hmm alright then. That means to acquire more breath effects all someone can do is take more dragonfire adept levels, with which to apply them with Dragonfire Blast. Alright thank you, at least that is worked out.
    Show