Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [BitPR2] Extra Episode 1: Secrets of the Generals

"Commander, if you don't mind, I'd like to peruse those orders later." Li knew what this was about. "I wouldn't want to run counter to your tactical choices after all."
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sure." It will be a public order anyway.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Saruhiko waits for Li to leave the room, pouring a cup of tea for the Vice Captain before slowly removing the large scarf from over his face. "A question of mine before I answer all of yours if I may? After this one of course." he adds swiftly. "Do you agree with your Commander Captain...on the issue of these modified souls?"

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

"I'm afraid you will need to be a little more specific, Saruhiko-dono." Koutarou noted respectfully as he accepted the teacup with a quiet 'thank you'. "My understanding is that the Commander seems to think the Modified Souls are inconspicuous enough to put a backup plan into motion. But... how much of this I'm allowed to speak of, I don't rightfully know."
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2013-08-16 at 09:06 AM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

"Speak as deeply as your duty permits Koutarou-san. If you stand by your Commander then I am happy to move on. I am at your disposal in any regards." Saruhiko smiles, finally pouring himself a cup of tea as well.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

"Well... to be perfectly honest with you, I am at a bit of a crossroads at the moment. No doubt the Commander has already shared some of his less-than-agreeable notions with you, Saruhiko-dono. What worries me is that there may come a time when I'll have to put a stop to things. I have a certain confidence I may be able to do it, physically speaking, if the time comes. But such does not necessarily apply to my heart.

The Commander loathes the position held. I loathe having to serve as a conscience. It's a bit much to bear."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

"Duty is always a heavy burden Koutarou-san." Saruhiko murmurs after a long silence, placing his cup down slowly with a sigh. "It is up to you to decide when you draw your blade and draw the line you will not cross. I remember when I was in the order several could not agree with Izanagi-dono. They left to the mortal world in exile after failing to slay him. There are more options open to you than simply stopping it. You understand?"

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

"Had I not been failing to see them at the moment, I'm sure your advice would sound more encouraging, Saruhiko-dono." Koutarou sighed. "I hope, I honestly hope, that it won't come to that. And that if necessary, I can find someone who will aid me in this. But you know what they say about hope..."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

"It always finds a way." Saruhiko offers with a warm smile. "The Soul Society of today is steeped in despair and the times are troubled. There is little to be hopeful for but if you give in to it...if you allow that hopelessness to win...you've already lost. Koutarou-san."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

"You're likely right, Saruhiko-dono. I wish I had the wisdom to guide me at a time like this. I must say I feel... dull, when compared to some other minds in Soul Society. I often wonder why I even rose as high as I did."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am not here merely to help your Commander Captain, Koutarou-san. I was never a warrior in my time here in Soul Society despite the climate of Soul Society then." Saruhiko explains, gazing up at the sky with a soft sigh. "The times were worse then. The Rukon was no where near as stable. The Hollows were much stronger...larger in number and size. The mortal world was becoming aware of our actions. We were slowly trying to create order where originally there was none. The founders of this organization understood in their own way that to ride the tides of anarchy and madness...that things had to be done for the greater good of all reality...even if it meant becoming monsters themselves. I lacked conviction then. It is why I was removed from the Order and placed in what you now call the Medical and Logistics Division. I couldn't sell my peace of mind or stain my hands to see a better future. Instead I devised kaido in hopes that some day, connected to one another, our arguments would simply fade away peacefully through discourse. That is not the way of the Shinigami. It is not the way of the Hollow. We are warriors and beasts wearing masks of one form or another to hide the insecurities and worries that plague us. We wear these masks to make ourselves seem civilized and perhaps sometimes it works to hide the bitter pill we must swallow. But I do not say this as a condemnation to Soul Society or my fellow Shinigami, on the contrary. It is by accepting these facts...that we can be petty and cruel, mistaken in our hubris and flawed so deeply that we can work to a state where the mask becomes a raiment. That we can truly live up to the ideal we've created for ourselves to show off to others. But listen to me prattle on. Forgive me Koutarou-san."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

"By all means, speak your mind." Koutarou replied. "I for one welcome one more set of opinions to draw upon. As a member of Command I've been made to take some very difficult calls. But I've always tried to keep casualties low. That IS what a good leader does, isn't it? He keeps those under his command safe to the best of his ability, while soldiering on for their goals. That is my concept of it, at least. So... as long as I can keep our friends and loved ones safe, I can do anything.

My lack of heart comes from the possibility that the Commander shares an entirely different viewpoint."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

"The only right way to live is by how you see it, informed by the experiences you have had. If you feel that the right way to lead is to keep people safe then that is what you must do. However, you must not be so naive as to think you can save everyone. You will experience loss either from time or from tragedy. There will always be those who disagree with you no matter what. They will not be convinced by your arguments or actions. Their determination is equal to or greater than your own. If you are discouraged by this reality then you must give up now and let them move you as they please. If you are afraid a fight will come then you must sheath your weapon and bow to them. It does not matter if they are a child or the Commander Captain, if you lose your determination because people disagree with you? Then you've lost. You must find the middle ground and if there is none you must attempt to find a way to simply agree to disagree. If you cannot do this you must fight. If you feel this is wrong, waiting until it is almost finished is perhaps the wrong time to fight. The time to strike, if you believe a fight is inevitable, is when you are strong and they are weak. This is simple combat basics. It applies to relationships just as easily as warfare."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

"I would rather there be no need to fight at all. But I'm not so naive as to think that will come to pass within my lifetime."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

"You will know what to do when the time comes." Saruhiko nods, slowly picking his tea up. "But I am led to believe this is not the only matter I am to instruct you on? Happy as I am to offer my shoulder."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

"To be fair, you could fill a couple of encyclopedias with the things I do not know. It would've helped, of course, if the Commander had told me how much of what was shared with me was at liberty to be discussed." Koutarou grumbled.

He tried to consider something first.

"The nature of Arrancar. It seems remarkably similar to Shinigami, but in different ways. The form of release of their power, for example. But I feel there are a lot more things about them that I do not know. Perhaps we could begin with that."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

"Consider any question open, Koutarou-san. If I cannot answer I will let you know. Does that seem fair?" Saruhiko asks softly as he moves to look more directly at the Vice Captain. "I am not certain of the Arrancar of this time to be quite honest. Their move, or so I'm told, towards a more structured and peaceful society perhaps indicates that are taking the steps Izanagi-dono, Eibon and the other founders of Soul Society took. Perhaps in time the Royal Palace may even contact them to try and uplift them further. Time will tell."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

"All told, it is a bit of a terrifying step for them to take. It means they've taken the advantage of organization and turned it on us."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Meanwhile, Zheng Li Lin arrives at the Commander-General's office. Li sits down, arranges them to read them, but stops. Something is bugging the commander. Something Li intended to earlier this day, but got distracted. Li sets Koutarou's report aside and concentrates for a moment. What was it?

Oh yes. Sparrow. She was supposed to call Li immediately after finding the imprisoned creature.

It's been almost a day, and she still hasn't.

Frowning, the commander draws out a Reiphone and dials the number assigned to Sally's phone. Soon, it starts to ring at the other end, where ever that may be. What is she doing?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

After several failed calls, the commander puts the phone down. Has something happened to Li's predecessor? It's impossible to tell as of now. Dissatisfied, Li picks up Koutarou's report and begins leafing through it...

... and pales when seeing the numbers. "This is too good to be a coincidence." However, there's only so much Li can do in this situation. A certain saying about a gift horse comes to mind. Quickly, the Commander prepares a simple order, and then returns to the gardens.

Some 30 minutes later, Koutarou and Saruhiko hear a knock on the greenhouse door.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

Koutarou will see to it, being the youngest of the two. Obviously, he opens up for the Commander.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Li nods at the Vice-Commander. "I'm back. I hope you two had an enlightening conversation." Li hands a slip of paper to Koutarou. "That's the order. I want it to be on every division's table tomorrow. We need to act quickly, there's only two days left." Then, Li turns to look at Saruhiko. "Is there still something you wish to share with my apprentice, Kisaragi-dono, or should we get to talking progresses in medical science?"

The slip of paper reads:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zheng Li Lin
    "Order to all Divisions:

All Gigais not yet relegated to service in the Gikon workforce shall be gathered for enumeration at the Central Warehouses. All patrols will be recalled from Earth and all missions outside Seireitei are cancelled untill further notice. Executing these orders will begin immediately. The deadline is two days."
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2013-08-24 at 09:16 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

"Very well. If I'm understanding this correctly, we're doing a total headcount first and foremost... Are we not already executing these orders on a similar level?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

"I did order a full withdrawal, yes. I'm not sure the message hit home", Li remarks dryly. "Gathering of Gigais is new, though. They are part of personal equipment for patrolling Shinigami. There are hundreds of them lying unused in lockers, and we're going to want them all in one place if worst comes to pass."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

"Are we planning to stuff modsouls into Gigai? How does that help?" Koutarou asked bluntly. "If it really comes to the point where we must turn tail and run, I don't think a gigai is going to be enough to hide us. Any of us."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Li gives Koutarou an odd look. "Ishinomori-san. I trust you remember what we talked about last night? The numbers you gave me suggest we have several Division's worth of theoretically combat-ready artificials stored up. This significantly alters our scenario. They could be the leverage we need to get out of this mess." The commander waves dismissively.

"What use they'll be, if any, will be seen in three days."

The problem, of course, is that these modsouls were made by SSI, the same organization which is under heavy suspicion for treacherous activity. It is very likely Shenryu and Sawada ordered them to be made. It is questionable if they could be safely fielded in any situation. This whole scenario seems far too convenient, and the commander fears it is a set-up and a trap to further some nefarious scene laid out by Eibon's successors.

But Li doesn't say that, because Li assumes Koutarou has already reached this conclusion.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

"My apologies, Commander. I fear the stress of this situation may be finally getting to me." Koutarou replied. "We don't know the enemy's numbers, however. The Modsouls might work as a stalling tactic, but even so we have no means to know how effective they will be, given the circunstances.

This especially considers the enemy's newfound ability to produce Arrancar by artificial means. We don't know if that process might be able to affect Modsouls."

Still, Koutarou took a deep bow and proceeded out of the gardens. He was, after all, still duty-bound to field those orders; he merely needed to voice his concerns first.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Saruhiko remained silent for the rest of the meeting, seeming deep in thought, the discussion on the Mod Souls troubling however it wasn't his place to intercede. He did however move to stop Li from leaving, a single hand placed on her arm with a deep frown. "Do they know the price of failure in this?" he asked gently, his eyes searching and perhaps a little mournful.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Li stops, and turns to look at Saruhiko, smiling sadly. "To be honest, I'm not sure even I know them. We're past the event horizon here. Whatever predictions of future I can make are so fragile, a single word could shatter them." Li's smile fades. "But as far as imminent destruction of Gotei and end of Shinigami era as rulers of afterlife go, they are all at least dimly aware of the possibility. I'm afraid the true implications of such event escape majority of them, sadly."

"Now, was there a medical invention you'd like to talk about?"

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Li stops, and turns to look at Saruhiko, smiling sadly. "To be honest, I'm not sure even I know them. We're past the event horizon here. Whatever predictions of future I can make are so fragile, a single word could shatter them." Li's smile fades. "But as far as imminent destruction of Gotei and end of Shinigami era as rulers of afterlife go, they are all at least dimly aware of the possibility. I'm afraid the true implications of such event escape majority of them, sadly."

"Now, was there a medical invention you'd like to talk about?"
    Saruhiko remains silent, shaking his head a little as he starts to wrap the scarf back over his face, only giving a fleeting glance to the Commander as Li speaks. "I'm afraid my time as the physician of the Royal Palace affords me little time to work on anything in these realms. Izanagi-no-Kami was my first shinigami patient in almost three hundred years. We're further forbidden to dabble in the affairs of the mortal world. The oken makes our presence more destructive to the fabric of it's foundation than even a Hollow. I leave myself in your capable hands."