Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [BitPR2] Extra Episode 1: Secrets of the Generals

"I'll give you a tour through he hospital, then." They leave the gardens, and Li leads Saruhiko to the monastery. "Now, I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but spiritual arts of healing have not advanced much since your breakthrough", Li explains. "Mostly, it's just different variations on Kaido. I've tried to rekindle interest in alchemy by approaching from the perspective of modern, earthly chemical sciences, but I've had limited success."

After talking to the duty officer, Li and Saruhiko are brought to a large, clean white room, with advanced looking devices of all sorts. The foremost is large, metallic cylinder - a magnetic resonance imaging device, for full-body medical analysis. "The biggest leaps are all thanks to people on earth. This was made by spirits of former Earth experts on the matter. Now, you said you aren't allowed to interfere with the living world, so I'm not sure if you've ever seen a machine like this. Forgive me if this old news to you. It's just, I'm still amazed how much they can do. Without any spiritual power to help them. In but a century, they've closed most gaps in our technology, and even gotten ahead of us in some fields! Did you know they even went to the moon? I don't think any Shinigami has ever even tried to do that."

For a moment, the burdens of Li's position are forgotten, and the Commander beams with genuine joy. Sure, the first lunar landing happened 40 years ago, but to someone of Li's age, that's practically yesterday. It's very much possible that if Saruhiko doesn't stop the elder, Li will go on a ramble on interesting events of recent history and keep going at it for the rest of the night.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    "I'll give you a tour through he hospital, then." They leave the gardens, and Li leads Saruhiko to the monastery. "Now, I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but spiritual arts of healing have not advanced much since your breakthrough", Li explains. "Mostly, it's just different variations on Kaido. I've tried to rekindle interest in alchemy by approaching from the perspective of modern, earthly chemical sciences, but I've had limited success."

After talking to the duty officer, Li and Saruhiko are brought to a large, clean white room, with advanced looking devices of all sorts. The foremost is large, metallic cylinder - a magnetic resonance imaging device, for full-body medical analysis. "The biggest leaps are all thanks to people on earth. This was made by spirits of former Earth experts on the matter. Now, you said you aren't allowed to interfere with the living world, so I'm not sure if you've ever seen a machine like this. Forgive me if this old news to you. It's just, I'm still amazed how much they can do. Without any spiritual power to help them. In but a century, they've closed most gaps in our technology, and even gotten ahead of us in some fields! Did you know they even went to the moon? I don't think any Shinigami has ever even tried to do that."

For a moment, the burdens of Li's position are forgotten, and the Commander beams with genuine joy. Sure, the first lunar landing happened 40 years ago, but to someone of Li's age, that's practically yesterday. It's very much possible that if Saruhiko doesn't stop the elder, Li will go on a ramble on interesting events of recent history and keep going at it for the rest of the night.
    Saruhiko follows after the Commander Captain the respectable distance apart, only glancing around when not directly addressed. He can't help but boggle however at the large machine before him, seeming in deep thought until the lunar landing is mentioned. "Quite remarkable yes. Their lack of stability and comfort drives them to achieve it. I hope in another eight hundred years I can visit in more certain times and see just how fast they've progressed. We have nothing like this in the Royal Palace. However for those like us there is no need. Kaido can find any ailment, medicinal powders cure almost all ails. The Spiritual Arts in their hands...I shudder to think of what might come from a mortal with the power of a Death Reaper. I was against the First Division's Division to create the department for Substitute Shinigami, did you know?" he asks, taking a seat. "If they can learn to stand on their own two feet...with their nature so inclined towards crushing anything that might oppose them...how long until they came here? The conditions of Soul Society were much worse back then. If they had known. If they knew now what fate awaited them do you think they would try to ease their future suffering even a little?"

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Li lets out a bitter chuckle. "I know. I know the feeling. Each day makes me feel more obsolete. But at this rate, I don't think they're even going to need spiritual powers."

Li sighs. "Every year or so, I have at least one student ask: 'Why is the Rukon such an awful place?' And it always catches me off-guard. I mean, Pluses there don't need to eat and sleep. The weather never gets too extreme either. They have all the free time in the world, with every path open to them."

"It wasn't like that when I was alive on Earth. Every day was toil just to not starve. Every morning, a struggle to stay awake. Every winter, a new chance to freeze to death. Compared to that Rukon was and is a paradise."

"To many of the deceased who come here, it still is. But each generation, an increasing number of people think it's not enough. They say there should be... motorways. Skyscrapers. Computers. And they look at us, demand us, blame us. They tell us we're so much better off, and should feel guilty. And all I can think is 'what the Hell are you people on about?'. The reason we Shinigami do all this, build all these things, till all the fields, grow all the food, is not because we want to. It's because we need to. Without the effort, we would die. We couldn't do our jobs."

Li snorts, Li's eyes cast down to the floor and glazed. "I find it all so perverse. The King has largely withdrawn from this world, the nobles keep to themselves, and they see it as a flaw? Do they really want Shinigami to decide for them? Our name alone should hint them we do not exactly exist to correct all the wrongs of the world. We are not rulers, we are soldiers. Warriors. Nothing but a glorified band of thugs. The less we meddle in the affairs of Humans and Pluses, the better. We should be the last, not the first, line of defense."

Li sighs and lifts a hand to rubs Li's forehead. "... I hoped I would see it, Saruhiko. See a day when we wouldn't be need anymore. When the Hollows vanished 50 years ago, I thought that was it. That we could fade into the background and let Pluses fend for themselves. Oh well. The sooner this situation is over and I can hand reigns back to Central 46, the better."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Saruhiko frowns under his scarf, gazing intently at the Commander Captain before him. "The Soul King..." he murmurs, standing and moving to collect some paper and a pen. "I know what you've been told. I know the...fairy tales...all to well. We're required to enforce them from time to time even. But the Soul King is not something that has ever cared for the condition of the world." He starts to draw x's on each piece of paper, folding them into the shape as he continues to speak in an almost mournful tone. "What you are to mortals, we of the Royal Guard are to you. To us...the Soul King. Everything works under the assumption that the world exists in teirs. From the least to the greatest. The ancient Chinese understood this in their own primitive way. But as one ascends the ladder they become less able to interact with those beneath them. We of the Royal Guard are not merely forbidden from interacting with the Mortal World out of fear our bodies and minds will be tainted will or other such paranoid fantasies. The presence of one with the oken is anathema to the lower world. We would warp reality, mortal lives would...grow weird and perverse. If I so willed it I could move through these walls just as you could move through the walls of a mortal building.

I have done my best to keep my mind focused to remember what it was to be a Shinigami. What it was like to interact with mortals as little as I had to. But those with the Oken are just a little more than a Death God. A little more than Spiritual. The Oken is in our bones and our flesh and it is the true reason we are rarely permitted to return here. How many would accept the offer to serve at the side of the King were they to know just how much they must give up? We are called to serve but in that service we will never truly be free. There are others in the Royal Court Guard who have long since lost their memories of a time before their promotion. You wouldn't recognize them even though you know them. They're not who they were before, perhaps blissful in the ignorance they hold for it. I tell you this of course to further draw the point. The Soul King isn't a person or a thing. It's a force whose presence would wash you away back into the cycle of reincarnation. I imagine you'd be at peace but it is not a theory I wish to test."

He slowly starts to place the origami figures together piece by piece, each connecting and making the whole more complex with each addition. "I suspect with this information you'll ask me then...what happened to Izanagi-no-Kami as I have stated he has joined the Soul King in the Royal Palace. And I mean merely this. Izanagi-no-Kami...was a being born with the Oken without need of it implanted into his being. His nobility and his virtue alone crystallized his spiritual power to a point that he and he alone stood among us all like a God from the mythologies of man. Without this he could never have been permitted into the Royal Palaces. It is the fate of all who serve the Soul King for when a brighter mind arises the oldest joins with the Soul King to make room for the new addition. One day it will be my turn. Izanagi-no-Kami cannot return because there is no longer that being. There is only the Soul King left within the Palace." he places the large paper structure down, regarding it for a moment. "And as my peers who regard mortals as ants and Shinigami as children...imagine then what such a thing as the Soul King must think of them? If it thinks of them at all."
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2013-09-01 at 09:58 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Li shakes Li's head. "My friend, if I did not already know that, why would I resent...?" But the commander stops, frowning. "... the oldest joins the King to make room for the youngest. You seem to imply Nagi-sensei was the oldest. Who the Hell is the youngest, Saruhiko?"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

"Izanagi-no-Kami was a special exception to the rule. For his creation of the Gotei 13, creating peace until the current day and for his various other talents and honors he was deemed worthy to join the Soul King." Saruhiko explains though frowns slightly even if the Commander Captain can't see it. "That would be the one who created the Senkaimon Gates, The Yellow Ki-Rin Empress. The oldest would currently be The Black Tortoise King."
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2013-09-01 at 10:20 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

"... I see." Li sighs. "My apologies. I've been alive long enough to see most of the current Guard uplifted, but the ones I knew well were those who were Captains at the same time as me. Say hello to Rin for me when you next see her. Her grandkids are doing well."

"I just thought, the way you put it... that the youngest might exists outside of the Guard. That it would be someone you have yet to uplift. I know of no person deserving that existing within Soul Society as of now, so I thought... eh, forget it. If it was an expection, it doesn't really matter. It was a silly misunderstanding."

"Come. I want to show you our new surgery robot..."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

"There are few candidates at the current time however there were a few we were regarding with interest." Saruhiko answers softly though nods at the request. "Of course. What is a robot?" he asks though his eyes do have a bit of glitter to them at the prospect.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2013-09-02 at 06:53 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

"You don't know the term? Oh, well, originally it came from a word meaning 'worker', referring to mentally neutered humanoid beings used for manual labor in a play made by humans." Li glances at the ceiling and chuckles. "... very much like our artificial souls, now that I think of it. But then, the meaning evolved to refer to mechanical workers, machines programmed to act automatically."

They arrive at an unused operation room. In the middle of it, there is a hospital bed surrounded by hydraulic arms of various sizes, each with revolver heads with multiple different tools attached. "We *ahem* acquired the designs from a Japanese medical firm. Using a computer, a surgeon can perform operation from another room. It helps keeping things hygienic, and eliminates shaking of hands."

"Sadly we're short of people who can actually use it. I'm completely at loss with it. Besides Nanoha Shigure, only Takenaka Chouko really understands how it works and... the former has unfortunate tendency to end up being the one operated, rather than the operator."