New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Ghostfoot's Savage Tide (IC)

THE SAVAGE TIDE RISES!

The first savage tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

Tashluta: The City of Slithering Vines.

1st of Kythorn, 1375 DR

A late spring breeze wafts in across the city from the sea as you make your way toward the Vanderboren Estate in the Merchant's District. Sunset approaches, but still the clinging heat of the day remains in the air. Hawkers begin to pack up there wares as the city's inhabitants prepare for their evening activities.

Tchinik & Mary-Iris:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You recognise the name of the author of the letter, Lavinia Vanderboren. She is the eldest daughter of the Vanderboren merchant family.

Looking out, you can see the imposing House of Night's Embrace looming from a caldera ridge over one side of the city, and the sprawling House of the All-Seeing Orb on the other. The opposed temples to Talona and Savras dominate the skyline. To the south are the distant mist-covered mountains, and beyond them deadly snake-infested jungle. To the north is nothing but clear calm ocean, dotted here and there with fishing and trading vessels.

The seven-foot high stone wall that surrounds the estate is hard to miss, as is the towering, gothic, three-storey house that dominates the grounds within. Leering gargoyles and capering nymphs festoon the eaves of the manor's roof, and several trees give the manor grounds a nice buffer from the bustle of the city outside.

The compound gates are open and no-one is in sight. You make your way to the front door and knock. After a few moments the wizened halfling servant who originally contacted you opens the door.

"Welcome. Thank you for arriving on time. My mistress, Ms Vanderboren, will be with you shortly. Please make yourself comfortable here in the atrium".

She gestures inside to a spacious waiting-room. It is open, light and has several plants and seats placed for comfort.

Spoiler
    Show
    The adventure begins! Time for you to describe your characters as they each enter, introduce yourselves, and you can have some brief interactions/ dialogue if you wish (a couple of posts or so - there'll be plenty of time for inter-party dialogue as we progress). Then I will move us all forward...
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-08-25 at 04:02 AM. Reason: add Date

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Savage Tide (IC)

A short, thin woman clad in green robes of the style worn in Calimshan is first to arrive. Her skin is a shade or so lighter than the dark brown of the locals, her sharp features dominated by a beaky nose worthy of the blue and yellow macaw on her shoulder. Amiyah al-Hassan, adventuring wizard, nods politely to the halfling and addresses her in Tashalan. "Thank you, good halfling." She still has a Calish'ite accent, but it's not nearly as strong as it was two years ago.

I wonder if Ari got an invitation too? Amiyah sits down on a nearby divan to wait. Her familiar shifts his weight on her shoulder, looking around with bright black eyes. "Dinner, Ami?" She reaches up to scratch the yellow feathers on his breast. "Later, Khalil. Be good now, we are guests here."

The parrot grumbles to himself and decides to preen his mistress' long black hair. Amiyah lets him; if he's busy with her hair, he's not getting into mischief elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

As Tel-Agion walks through the gates and into the compound the dwarf's attention is much more on the stone walls than anything else. His heavily armoured frame, and large shield locked on his arm rattle softly as he walks with slow deliberate steps. His visage is somewhat stern as the halfling opens the door and guides him into the waiting room. As he walks a small electric blue orb hovers at his right shoulder.

He glances once at the slim woman already there, and nods briefly in her direction. Then rather than taking any of the seats he stands close to one of the walls, not quite leaning against it. "I am Tel-Agion" his deep voice rumbles, "I see I am not alone in being summoned here?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Tel is a title, my character's name is Agion. So if you were to refer to him as Tel, that would be the same as me refering to someone as "sir", or "Captain", a gesture of respect. Feel free to refer to him either with the honorific, or just as Agion, he won't get upset!

Last edited by FyreByrd; 2013-07-05 at 02:27 AM.
    Avatar(that seems to have disappeared) by Darwin

4. - Top - End - #4

A tall young man enters the waiting-room. His dark red skin, glowing crimson eyes, unnaturally black hair, ribbed horns and pointy tail clearly mark him as descended from fiends. His face is characterized by a sharp nose, high cheekbones, and a strong jaw. Despite wearing a heavy black coat, he seems to be unaffected by the hot weather and shows no signs of discomfort. Spectral silvery-blue energies form a dragon-shaped necklace around his throat and ghostly vambraces around his arms.

A tiny crystal dragon sits on the man's shoulder, studying its surroundings with curious eyes of glittering rainbow colors.

The tiefling smiles at the other guests, his warm expression a startling contrast to the sharp and pointy teeth revealed by his lips.

"Good evening. I am Zathras. It is good to meet you." A slight echo reverberates in his voice.

He takes one of the available seats and leans back in a relaxed manner, though experienced eyes can see the nervousness underneath.

Suddenly the small crystal dragon on his shoulder moves down his arms, jumping on a nearby table and toward a crystal vase which it studies for a long moment before tentatively bumping the object lightly with its snout.

~Xin! Not here please, we need to be on our best behavior. You know the bad first impression my appearance usually gives and there is no need to make it worse.~

~Sorry!~

The small dragon climbs back up its master's arm and curls up on his shoulder like a cat.
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2016-02-16 at 06:08 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Tchinik walks into the compound with a broad smile that does not quite reach eyes if an observant person were watching. Taking note that there were no visible guards, he knows that they must be just out of view and the lady must be trying to make a good impression or setting a good trap. Still, he could find no direct ties between House Vanderboren and Ton Arsi.
    "Have care" he admonishes himself under his breath as be follows the halfing servant.
    Entering the atrium he is surprised to see a few others gathered. Bowing at his waist with a crooked grin on his face he say "Hello, I am Tchinik. Who would be Lady Vanderboren?" wondering if the information he had paid for was incorrect. When no one responds to the name he breathes a small sigh of relief, sitting and brushing his shoulder length red hair back. "Any idea why we have been called here?" he says as he begins to discount the idea of a trap.
    Last edited by razorback; 2013-07-05 at 12:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Amiyah looks up at the new arrivals, smiling hesitantly. "Ah, good evening. I am Amiyah al-" A parrot's screech drowns out the rest of her sentence. Khalil has finally looked up from the important task of grooming his mistress' hair and noticed their company. Specifically, the tiefling.

"BAD MAN! AMI! BAD MAN!" His feathers are slicked back in what could be either anger or fear.

"Khalil! Stop that at once!" The wizard glares at her parrot. Honestly, she isn't thrilled about the red-skinned man's presence either, but Miss Vanderboren must have invited him or he wouldn't have got past the guards. And now everyone here is going to think she can't control her own familiar!

The parrot swivels his head to look at her. "Not bad man?" He looks back at Zathras. "Looks like bad man with fire hands."

"He is not a bad man. Now say you're sorry."

Khalil ducks his head. "Sorry."

"That's more like it." Amiyah gives the tiefling an apologetic look. "My humblest apologies. We had an encounter with another tiefling some time ago, you see, and it left quite the impression on Khalil." She coughs slightly. "So, as I was saying, I am Amiyah al-Hassan. It is a pleasure to meet all of you." Turning to Tchinik, she shrugs. "I am afraid I know no more than you do about why we have been called here. Hopefully we will find out soon."
    Last edited by Phasm; 2013-07-05 at 04:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

A pained smile crosses the young tiefling's face as he answers.

"Do not worry about it, I am quite used to this kind of reaction. Sadly many of my brethren do in fact deserve it. It is not for me to judge if I am a bad man, but I try my best not to be."

He pauses and scratches his crystal companion's neck before he continues, his pained smile turning more mischievous.

"And I try to only use my fire hands for good purposes."

He is tempted to underscore his little joke by actually manifesting some fire, but decides against it. The possibility for things to turn ugly is too great. Playing with his heritage was always a dangerous coinflip.

"In regards to the purpose of our summoning, I am equally in the dark."
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2016-02-16 at 06:10 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Sister Penitent Mary-Iris

A distant commotion can be heard from outside; a thump followed by three loud cracks, each followed by a high pitched yelp.

'Repent of your wickedness boy, lest He find no place for you at His table!' a voice rings out.

A large woman enters the atrium, tall and broad as a man, her face slightly flushed. She is covered head to toe in thick black robes, frayed at the edges and dusty from the road. The robes have been cut open about the legs and shoulders where a variety of armored plates and weapons protrude. On her head is a wide brimmed wimple, black offset with white. She stands rigidly erect, stock still with her feet apart. She does not smile.

She regards each member of the group slowly, perhaps pausing a little longer on the half fiend than the others.

'His blessings upon you' she says to the assembled group, 'I am Mary-Iris, Sister Penitent in the service of Tyr.'

'Be warned, I am not accustomed to permit blasphemies in my presence and if perfidy is your intent you shall not be spared a full measure of His swift justice.'

SP Mary-Iris continues to regard the group, making no move toward a chair. You notice that she has a pack and shield slung across her back, she is in no way dressed for dinner. She does remove her right gauntlet, her left hand already bare when she entered.
    Last edited by NovaZulu; 2013-07-05 at 09:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

As the sister enters, Tchinik stands and bows... then hesistates when she doesn't take a chair. When she declines to take one he blushes and sits.
    Seeing her armed he almost regrets leaving his valued spear in his room at the inn.
    Looking around for a drink, he says aloud "Hopefully, someone will appear soon to either provide refreshments or answers. Preferably both."
    He steeples his hands upon his chin as he waits patiently.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

With a loud Crash the doors swing open and Connaught swaggers in with an air arrogance and self confidence about him. Looking every inch the Northern barbarian with crude leather clothes roughly stitched, a beard gleaming with grease from the half eaten kebab of unknown origin.

As he walks in his size becomes apparent, a hulking brute of a man he towers above the Halfling lady who comes barely above his knee.

Spoiler
    Show

In clipped and common sounding Illuskane he brusquely thanks the halkfling glances around the room welcoming the others. "Greetings. Gods blessings on you. I am Connaught of the Northern Tribes, who you be?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for inviting me into the game
    Last edited by DrK; 2013-07-06 at 04:29 PM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Amiyah and her parrot just stare for a long moment, speechless. "Ah, Amiyah al-Hassan, pleased to meet you," she answers automatically. Why in the name of all the gods would a noblewoman invite this... this barbarian into her home? She looks around the room at her fellow guests, thinking. So far there's herself, a known wizard for hire, a heavily armed and armored dwarf (although it would be stranger if the dwarf wasn't armed and armored, being a dwarf and all), a handsome and well-mannered Northerner, a tiefling with some sort of spellcasting ability, a priestess of Tyr, and now a greasy barbarian.

Tel-Agion could be a noble among his people, Tchinik has the manners to be either low nobility or a wealthy merchant, and clergy are welcome in any house that worships or at least respects their deity. Amiyah herself could have been invited to consult on some arcane matter, although the local diviners are generally better at the information side of magic. But in combination with the other guests...

"Who else here thinks that Miss Vanderboren wants us to solve a problem that will almost certainly require violence?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Smiling at Amiyah's comment and leaning over he says "I am Tchinik Denid of Lutcheq. Pleasure to meet your acquaintance." as he extends his hand. "but I believe the lady is correct. It would seem that some endeavor is at hand. Although I am curious why she requires our collective skill set.". With that he sits back and relaxes.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Connaught grins at the Mulani and leans forward to take his hand in a solid grip and a chuckle. "I hope it do involve a fair amount of violence. I ain't good for much else".

Eye ranging over the assembled folks - eyes lingering on the red skin of the tiefling and the fine form of the holy sister under her shapeless robe. "We have the looks of a the whole of Faerun. Whay has brought you all here"?

"Amiyah is it?" he confirms with the wizard, "You got letters from a half person as well?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

At that moment one of the interior doors is thrown open and a group of strangers stride across the atrium toward the front door.

The group look almost as strange an assortment as the six of you - a pale-skinned, dark-haired male half-elf dressed in fine leather armour and carrying throwing knives and a rapier; a sour-looking, weathered dwarf bearing the holy symbol of Silvanus around his neck; an attractive but haughty-looking Chondathan woman with a crescent moon tattooed on her cheek and purple robes; and finally a tall and handsome Tashalar man in fine chain shirt armour bearing twin shortswords.

They look you over as they depart, and the tall man mutters to his companions under his breath "Hmmm. Must the help Lavinia's bringing in to help". He calls out flippantly over his shoulder "Best of luck to ya" as they leave through the front doors. The halfling servant races behind them and manages to catch and gently latch the door that they had carelessly flung about. Catching her breath she turns to you all "Ms Vanderboren will see you now, please - this way".

You are ushered through a trophy hall. Leopards, wolves, bears and the odd not-so-small dinosaur are displayed around the hall. The servant opens a door at the far end and guides you into a private dining room. The spacious room is filled with comfortable upholstered chairs, bookshelves and a few tables. A window overlooks the manor's central courtyard and the carpet is thick and soft. A large portrait hangs on one wall, a fine work depicting a handsome young man with a short beard and a sneer on his face.

"Thank you, Kora". An attractive human woman in a flowing blue dress stands in front of the portrait. "Welcome, I am Lavinia Vanderboren. Thank you for coming, I do hope that you can help". She gestures you toward an assortment of simple but elegant dishes and fine local wines as she continues talking.

Spoiler
    Show

"As you may have heard, I recently inherited my parent's estate. Along with this fine house, unfortunately, came a fine amount of debt owed the Dawn Council, the harbormaster, and quite a few guildhalls. It seems my parents, for all their success as adventurers, were not as skilled at finance as one might expect. If I'm to get these taxes paid, I'll need to access my family's vault under Castle Teraknian."

"And that's the problem, you see. The vaults are magically locked - keyed to special signet rings, at least, until recently. My mother lost hers a few months ago. She arranged for a replacement, but it won't be done for another month or so, too late for me. Which leaves my father's ring. He never wore it - he had a thing about men wearing jewelry. He kept it hidden somewhere on his ship, the Blue Nixie."

"The problem there is that the harbormaster's seized the ship until someone pays for the last four months of mooring. I've paid the fines to the man the harbormaster's put in charge of my ship, a brute named Soller Vark. Yet, when I went to claim my ship, Vark's men wouldn't let me board, claiming that I hadn't yet paid the fines. I spoke to Vark again and he denied ever receiving my payment. My complaints to the harbormaster have fallen on deaf ears - he's a doddering old fool who trusts his man and won't relent."

"Vark and his men are up to something on my ship, I know it. What I need is to find out exactly what they're up to. Unfortunately, Vark's not the type to react well to diplomacy or logic. I need someone who speaks his language...which is where you come in. If you can find out what he's using my ship for, or even better, recover the money I paid him, I'll pay each of you 200 gold in return once I've access to my vault."

She takes a small sip of her wine and looks to each of you in turn, waiting to answer any questions.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Connaught, towering above the other adventurers stares down at them with a challenging glare - a look of innate suspicion at the pale skinned elf... At the comment from the other adventurer he grunts back "Us... we shall be helping you if you beg nicely."

Distracted he is the last to the enter the room and looks sheepish in the quiet room with the elegant young Lady Lavina. Looking her up and down he listens to her tale, eyes roaming the pictures and books- even if he cannot read them.

At the end of her tale he sits down gingerly lest his vast bulk reduce the ornate chair to splinters of kindling. "We will find him and break the truth from him milady. Where abouts are his quarters in the docks? How much gold had you paid him?
    Last edited by DrK; 2013-07-07 at 03:52 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Another group of adventurers leaving with a 'good luck'? Oh, that's not ominous at all. Amiyah seats herself near one of the tables, turning a wood-backed chair around to make an improvised perch for Khalil. She loves her familiar, but parrots tend to be messy eaters and she does not want half his dinner down the front of her robes. Once he's occupied with a plate of fruit and nuts, the wizard turns her attention to the noblewoman's tale.

Hmm. Two hundred gold would be quite welcome... if she's being honest. Even if she wasn't being honest, Amiyah would be tempted to take the job; nothing's illegal as long as you don't get caught. As it is, they have a devotee of Tyr breathing down their necks, which means no overt breaking of laws and therefore no two hundred gold unless Miss Vanderboren is telling the truth.

Amiyah pours herself a glass of wine, inhaling the delicate bouquet appreciatively. If there's one thing she misses about Calimshan, it's being able to afford good wine. "If I may be so bold as to ask, my lady, why did you not simply give your gold directly to the harbormaster?"

17. - Top - End - #17

At the entrance of the hulking barbarian, Zathras' face goes so very blank it could almost be called expressive again. He turns his head toward his dragon familiar before he looks at the newcomer again.

~........~

~...........~

Disturbed in his silent musings by the other group of adventurers, he gives them a sweet smile, which grows wider and wider around his fangs until it looks a lot more unsettling than kind.

"Same to you, my friends."

Afterwards, following the rest of the assembly into the dining room, he tries to keep in the back, avoiding as much attention as possible. He still cannot shake the nagging feeling that his invitation had been a mistake and that the Lady Vanderboren would notice his demonic appearance any second and call the guards. It was silly of course, but past experiences had a tendency to leave their mark beyond anything logic could overrule.

He could also think a lot better when he wasn't the one leading the conversation.

You'd think that getting a harbormaster and his unruly thug in line would be an easy task for someone with her family name. I have the feeling there's more to this than meets the eye. Then again, when isn't there? Is there any place where people aren't spinning countless intrigues and plots over one another like some absurd and incomprehensible web of lies, omissions and half-truths?
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2013-07-08 at 07:04 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

BlackDragon

Tel-Agion's only reaction to the others entering the room, is a slightly raised eyebrow, prefering not to comment until he takes the measure of these. Although, purely as a gut reaction he feels his fist tense as the Tiefling enters the room, servants of chaos more often than not he muses.

Equally his reactions are fairly low key as the other party of adventurers strides through, and even when Lavinia arrives his prefers stoic silence to over the top reaction, however this all changes at her words. As he hears of her plight, and the fact that despite her payment, she still does not have access to the ship. He straightens to his full height, and speaks in a deep powerful voice, "Lady, this is outrageous."

His tone is stern, and there's no trace of hysterics despite his emotive language, "Whilst holding the ship against your debt is perfectly reasonable, if you have paid the fines due, you should have full access by now." he grimaces, "Point me to this rogue and I shall make certain the full weight of the law comes down upon his head!" he pauses, then continues, his tone softening slightly as he puts a question in his voice, "However, and forgive me for enquiring, how do you come to have inherited this estate, if your mother is arranging for a replacement ring, surely she still lives?"
    Last edited by FyreByrd; 2013-07-08 at 05:46 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Lavinia turns to Amiyah and speaks earnestly, "I admit that it was foolish to hand the money over to Vark without any independent official witnesses. I was somewhat naive I guess. As Vark is the harbourmaster's man, and the transaction legitimate, I thought that it would be honoured. I was foolish to trust him."

And to the hulking Northerner, "I don't know where Vark normally lives, but I know for sure he and his men are camped on the Blue Nixie now. They're there all hours, and I'm just sure that they're up to no good. It was one hundred platinum pieces that I paid to him. A pouch of a hundred platinum coins".

Tears begin to well in her eyes as she answers Tel-Agion's question regarding the inheritance and her family, "My mother arranged for the replacement ring before her death. She and my father were both killed about a month ago." She takes a moment to compose herself. "I'm sorry, I still haven't quite gotten used to it. They were taking a recently purchased ship for a cruise around the harbour here. Something caused it to catch fire and burn to the waterline. There were no survivors."

Tchinik, Amiyah, Zathras:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your sense motive observations don't reveal anything unusual or unexpected.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-07-08 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Include response to Tel-Agion

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Not able to get a full bead on the woman, Tchinik nods and says "The dwarf is right, lady. I will help in the endeavor to help reclaim your funds and see to it that Vark and those who give him succor are given over to the law."
    Sitting back in his chair, he tries to figure out how this merry little band will work together. He wonders about asking about the group who just left be decides it is the ladies business and has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.
    "Are we all in agreement?" he says as he look around at those assembled.

21. - Top - End - #21

After the others have voiced their questions Zathras decides to speak up as well.

"I am sorry for your loss, my Lady. I am willing to take on this task, though I have to ask about the group we were meeting on the way in. Are you putting multiple teams together to work on this issue simultaneously or were they part of a previous attempt that met difficulties? If either of those is the case it is something we need to know about. I apologize if their presence was unrelated to this matter."
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2016-02-16 at 06:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default SP Mary-Iris

'Young lady, you charge the harbour masters man, Mr Vark, with corruption and the harbour master himself with complicity at worst and incompetence at best,' says SP Mary-Iris her eyebrows slightly raised and her face grave, 'these are charges most serious.'

'I must warn you Ms Vanderboren, that once engaged in pursuit of justice in this case I will not be turned or diverted. As long as your cause be just you can count on my shield, but should I find that it is you who attempts to subvert the due process in this matter, it will go no better for you than for those you accuse.'

SP Mary-Iris fixes the young women with a hard stare then goes on 'So I ask you, are you certain you wish my service in this matter and do you vouch that what you have said to us here tonight is the whole truth of the thing? If you are possessed of a doubt I will trouble you no further and take my leave. While you think on this permit me one further observation.'

'A great deal of misfortune has befallen you lately,' the Sister begins, sympathetic without any particular warmth. 'No doubt an intelligent young woman such as yourself has already considered conspiracy, but I wish to offer another way to look at it ... providence. There is no thing under heaven that the gods have not put here and perhaps your current predicament offers you a unique opportunity to reject a life of corpulence you have not choosen but only inherited. Perhaps this is Devine invitation to take your place in the world on the merits of your valour and earn for yourself a place of honour in the hereafter.'

'Perhaps, moreover, you may consider it fitting to start out by joining our little company on this venture? Justice provides for all men, to criminals correction, to victims recompense and to by-standers example lest they become one or tuther. You may find salvation and liberation if you heed this His call.'

SP Mary-Iris waits silently for Ms Vanderboren's answers.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

At the small Mulani's words Connaught grunts approvingly, a vast and slightly dirty paw slapping the smaller man on the shoulder. "We will board your boat and dump the rubbish over the side. Let the harbour eels take 'em!".

Looking around the others he grimaces at the Sister's words of law and the Gods, a hand brushing what appears to be an arrowhead trapped under the flesh of his mostly exposed muscular chest. "Law or not law, then we must help. Do we need the cover of darkness to approach or shall we do it like men of strength in the full light of day."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Amiyah barely manages to suppress a groan at the priestess' speech. Oh, let's insult our prospective employer and a noble who can make life in Tashluta much harder for us, fabulous idea! If Miss Vanderboren was the adventuring type, doubtless she would already have taken care of Vark by now. But if this makeshift party sticks together, Amiyah will have to put up with the woman for some time; no use making enemies of someone who might be covering your back. Instead, the wizard simply nods to Miss Vanderboren.

"I too am willing to undertake this task for you. Corrupt officials are sadly common, but that does not mean they should be allowed to keep a woman from her property." She smiles. "Besides, now I'm curious."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

"That is quite alright, Zathras. That group fashion to call themselves the 'Jade Ravens'. They have been in the employ of our family for some years now, and have proven adept at assisting where less skilled employees would be unable. I have just sent them to Thindol to seek further assistance from my aunt and uncle there. They have not been involved in the specific issue of the rogues aboard my ship".

"And Sister, thank you for the reminder. I can assure you that my conscience is clean and that a servant of Tyr, bound to uphold justice and reverse the actions of lawbreakers, is precisely the representative I seek. As to providence I must say that my place lies as a citizen respectful of, and protected by, said laws rather than an enforcer. You will understand that this is the reason that I cannot accompany you. If anything should...happen...then not only would I likely be a burden to yourselves, but I would be more directly associated in the very least as a witness, and therefore unable to freely continue my efforts to pursue justice and free myself of these thugs. Everything that my parents have worked so honestly for would, quite frankly, be forfeit".

Zathras:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You detect no evil from any of the people so far.

26. - Top - End - #26

BlackDragon

The stern looking dwarf listens carefully to both Lavinia's measured response to his question, and the comments and questions by the others in the room, nodding fiercely at Sister Mary-Iris' words of warning.

In a moment of quiet he bows his head to their prospective employer, "Forgive me again, for my impertinenant question, I am sorry for your recent losses, I just need to be content in my mind that your cause is just, and I stand with the human, in her assessment of the situation, and her warning against you."

Satisfied now, the dwarf glances around at his companions, "I believe our first step should we all wish to take this contract is to head to the harbour, and gain more information from those that the lady has accused."
    Last edited by FyreByrd; 2013-07-09 at 03:26 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Tchink nods assessment with what Tel-Agion says.

"Connaught, it would be best to acertain what the situaton is before we make a move towards these scofflaws. Any chance of bringing them to justice will require proof. Tipping our hand prematurely will only give them time to cover their tracks. When hunting a bear, is it is best to set a trap for your prey and not to approach from upwind so as not to startle it or find yourself in a trap set up by your quarry? This is what we seek to do, I believe."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default SP Mary-Iris

'Ms Vanderboren, you may consider me engaged,' says SP Mary-Iris.

Looking around at the group SP Mary-Iris considers the their questions and the challenge ahead, battle plans already forming.

The forthright Dwarf, neither mealy mouthed nor unnecessarily cruel and a man of faith. Doubtless a strong right flank if he is as direct in battle as he is in conversation.

The Northman, entirely typical of his people, dangerous to friend and foe alike. Likely the sort who chews on his shield until frothing and insensate before battle; unlikely to run at least. Front line shield side, left flank.

Mr Denid, solicitous, nervous, in search of alcohol and largely unarmed. None of this bodes well in the Sisters Opinion. Presumed coward until proven otherwise. Second rank and scout.

The half-fiend and his little lizard, understandably anxious of the impression they make. What hope have they for salvation but valor so undeniable, so excessive that it erases the stain of that bloodline? Second rank and rear guard.

And finally Ms al-Hassan, consumed by fear, fear of giving offense, fear of the bird making a fuss, fear of violence and fear of those very fears. In battle can she be trusted to find her courage and master her fear or will she simply crumble? Second rank center.

'Reconnaissance is wise. Mr Denid you seem well suited to low places, will you lead us in this phase of the engagement?' says SP Mary-Iris, no trace of irony in her voice.

'Ms Vanderboren, I will pray for your salvation.'

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    SP M-I is ready to move on when the group is and will follow along with whatever information gathering plan the group agrees upon/help as she can as long as it does not include criminality or cowardice. Completely flexible wrt nighttime or daytime approach.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Amiyah nods, taking a sip of wine. Not too much; a drunken wizard can be dangerous to herself and others. "If possible, I would prefer to wait until tomorrow morning before starting out. The sun is going down, and searching the ship for something as small as a ring will be considerably easier in daylight." She pauses. "Also, I would like to prepare some spells better suited to combat in tight spaces with a large group of allies than what I have now. The last thing I want is to accidentally hit one of you with an area-effect spell because there is no room to dodge on a crowded deck."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Tchink rubs his beard a little pondering the two women's words.

"I agree that we should not fully show ourselves to any would be watchers but, perhaps, it would be wise for a couple of us to get a lay of the land, so to speak. Mark out any guards, obvious or otherwise, along with the comings and goings of anyone. Probably dressed as sailor come to port? Any thoughts?"