New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Searching for dragons. Part I.

After several days travel you approach the Great Gates of Osmath city. The white city stands hundreds of feet tall, shining for miles around. Besides the vast number of people passing through the Great Gates, you notice the strong military presence. Two men wielding spears and shields stand either side of the great gate, observing those you pass through. Littered across the battlements stand dozens of crossbowmen, standing only a few feet apart a top of the gate, thinning out as you look further away, until they standing roughy fifty feet apart. Patrolling the battlements you see pairs of soldiers, a bowmen and swordsman, each pair roughly one hundred foot behind the next.

How do you approach?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Searching for dragons. Part I.

Strixi

Strixi looks upon the human capital, it is much bigger than he expected, which happens a lot to creatures as small as himself. At 2 foot, there isn't a lot to him, and with his shapechanging magics, there is even less. Currently he is in his native form, a dragonwrought kobold of green dragon ancestry.
    Approaching the guards, he confidently walks up,
    "Good morning, I am here to research my ancestors. Could you point me to your town library?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

As you approach the guards ready their weapons, four spears and countless crossbows pointed your way. With them mere feet away you see that an emblem, two red shields, adorn their armour.
    "Stop right their kobold scum. You think we'll let some Kredine worshipping scumbag through our gates"
    The shouting man raises his spear.
    "Hold!" comes a deep booming voice as a draconic humanoid pushes his way through.
    The draconic one chants, staring intently at you, clearly casting a detect evil spell upon you [Spellcraft 22 vs DC 16].
    "Calm yourself gentlemen, you have nothing to fear from this little creature. He is not evil"
    He looks at you, this time in the eyes. You see two green shields on his clothing.
    "Come with me little one. I'll sort everything out for you."

4. - Top - End - #4

Imp

When harassed by the guards, Strixi begins to respond, but the answer dies in his throat as he is scanned for an evil presence. Quietly assessing how quickly he could be underground and away, he is brought back to reality not evil..

"Gratitude sir, and who do I owe it to?" Strixi asks as he follows the presumed Dragonborn.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

"I am Captain Baldeen," he replies, leading you through the Great Gates. After you leave earshot of the guards he continues to talk
    "She told me you would be coming. A courageous little idiot brazen enough to approach the military. You do know Osmath is at war with Kredine's kobolds right? Regardless, she sent me here to get you through the gates safely, and I have"

He leads you into a building, moving aside a bookshelf and down a flight of stairs into a dark room. The book shelf closes behind you.
    "What are doing here little kobold?"

6. - Top - End - #6

Imp

"Well sir, as I'm sure you're aware, there are many kobold tribes in the Zatyr Isles, I come from a tribe in the Broken Isles, and do not affiliate myself with any god." Strixi Pauses for, a moment allowing a bat not much smaller then himself out of his hood. "Perhaps it was unwise of me to expect that knowledge to be common"
    "I serve Dragons as a race completely, all their interests and goals are my own." The bat stirs, and idly flaps upwards searching for insects. "You could call me an ambassador of sorts, I hope."
    "That's what brings me here, in order to meet and learn from them, I must find my ancestor." The bat's fur, now more visible, can be seen to have green spines growing out of it. "He was a young green dragon called Darastrix a century gone, he could be anywhere now. I hoped your libraries, seers, or clerics may know more."

The bat catches a small moth, and lands back in the hood, toasting it with slight licks of flame from it's mouth, then looking over Strixi's shoulder at Captain Baldeen.

"Who is the 'she' I owe thanks to?"

"Diplomacy for first Impression" - (1d20+16)[32]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

"Hmm, it was foolish of you to assume such things."
    He stares at you for a few moments, before a small smile appears on his face.
    "But you would not be the first to make unwise decisions in the search for dragons."
    He holds out a hand to you.
    "I am Baldeen Everwise, Cleric to my Patron, and your benefactor, Tiamat"
    Seemingly ignoring your hungry pet, he pulls out two chairs, gesturing you towards one.
    "I do not know the information you seek, or where to find it, and you would be unwise to seek said knowledge openly without papers of approval. I could obtain these for you but it would take some time, perhaps weeks. Where do you hope to begin?"

8. - Top - End - #8

Imp

Strixi is somewhat taken aback, to think there is a cleric of Tiamat enjoying a position of power in the isles' largest stronghold of good, Captain Baldeen clearly shouldn't be underestimated. He shakes the hand of the cleric, although it is more like taking his finger, then sits cross legged on the offered chair, giving him a little more height to talk evenly.
    "This is truly a city of surprises, I imagine there will be a great deal of information here for those willing to dig." Strixi pronounces dig like it's something he could be prepared to do at any minute, although a confined stone room would certainly put a stop to that.
    "I'm sure those papers will be useful in time, and greatly appreciated, I will be able to find a few things to do until then. I assume you have a public library I can find some of the basics in, and of course I should need to find local lodgings willing to house me. The guard at the gate have not filled me with confidence."
    The lizard pauses for a few moments, "Tell me, does Osmath interact with dragons regularly, as friend or foe? Perhaps I could lend a new perspective on matters."
    Last edited by Orran; 2013-07-09 at 04:32 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

"The city has its share of Bahamut devotees, even a few of his dragonborn. That is how I made my way into Law Enforcement, Every common fool assumes a dragon-man must be on of his followers. How little they know."
    He stops for a moment, fondling an icon around his neck.
    "Libraries, yes. There are several across Osmath. A couple in the common grounds, one in Auderran park. There is of course the Archives of the Order, but you'd have an easier time getting into the Eklion District then into that. As for lodging. Your best bet would be the common ground. They're are a few areas known for the lesser races, you might find a willing inn there"

10. - Top - End - #10

Imp

"I'm sure you're underselling yourself there, getting to where you are must have had its challenges. If you ever need some support from someone with less invested in their position here, I can be a lot more subtle than I have been today."

At the mention of libraries the Kobolds brow furrows a little, "I see, I will see what they have to offer first. Do you have a map of the city so I have a better idea of where to go? Perhaps then I should travel the city in dragon form? I may find the reception a little warmer."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

"If I find a use for you, you shall be called."
    He pulls out a scroll and begins to sketch something out.
    "As far as travelling around the city, a hooded cloak will probably be enough, though if you are going to assume a dragon form I suggest you stick to that of a metallic dragon at least."
    He hands over the scroll to you.
    "Here is a rough map of the city, it should serve your purposes for the time being. Is there anything else you need to know?"
    [Map Link]
    Last edited by Kredine; 2013-07-09 at 05:29 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Imp

"Looks like you'll have to find somewhere new to hang out in daylight hours Kane" the Kobold says affectionately to his companion.
    The bat does not respond.

"There's actually a lot more dragon forms than you would expect Captain" the kobold says, a smile showing off his sharp teeth. Storing the map in his haversack, Strixi secures it tightly over his chest. "Some would draw little more than a glance from all but the keenest of eye."

"I think that's all Captain, you have shown much hospitality, if I need to contact you, where should I go?" Assuming he has an answer, Strixi draws his cloak around himself, the hood up, his tail wrapped around one leg, kane squeezed into the folds of the fabric around the neckline. Then he thanks Baldeen once more and takes his leave.

Once in the corridors, but before rejoining any public areas he shares a mage armor spell with Kane, as well as a heart of water. "Can't be too careful, relying on divine grace and our wits to save us won't work forever. It only takes one zealot to trigger a race riot in a hornet's nest like this"
    The bat does not respond.

The pair head towards the common area to find lodging, looking for what could be described as a lesser race to get some information from.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

"If you should need me, speak your name while holding this. I will find you when I have the papers. Good luck, little kobold"
    Baldeen hands you a small violet stone, and bids you farewell.

You make your way through the city, taking the nearest route to the common grounds. The common grounds are crammed with people, mostly human, funnelling through 'streets' between a maze of houses. While the area is more tightly packed then you have ever seen in a city, it is clean and structurally sound, each house stands strong with good doors and windows, there are safe sources of water and even basic medical facilities. Osmath is a city where even the poor live without fear of starvation or illness. As you wander through the grounds searching for lodgings it occurs to you that you are traversing the largest district in the city without a plan, and that dusk is soon approaching.
    How do you continue your search?
    [Time: ~5pm]
    Last edited by Kredine; 2013-07-09 at 06:51 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Imp

Strixi wanders the grounds for a few minutes, taking in the sights.. and smells, a little curious that so many people live together with a decent quality of life. The desert kobolds generally kept small tribes, but the miners often had sprawling complexes trapped underground, and he wonders if this is what they're like. Something that made the kobolds so successful was their propensity to look after their own, if the humans gained some work ethic too, they might become a half decent race.
    Breaking out of his reverie, Strixi starts questioning passers by, finding out where most of the lesser races live and where he could find lodgings there.
    lesser races... do they think that's funny?

"Gather information" - (1d20+9)[27]
    "Duration" - (1d4+1)[4]
    Take 10 on bluff for 22 to disguise voice, when speaking to humans, just to be less disconcerting. (Under acting in phb)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Those you approach, though fooled by you voice, seem unwilling to share information with you, turning sour as once you mention lesser races. Some commoners will point without words, and the occasional more helpful soul will give you some vague directions. It takes you some time, and night has long approached, but you find yourself at an area the locals call 'the lesser pits'. The area is as structurally sound as the rest of the common ground, but the streets leading out of the pits have been closed off with make-shift walls, forming an almost gated community. The few clear entrances have an unusual number of guards compared to the rest of the grounds. You notice that these guards are dressed like those of the Great Gates, red shields on their armour, while those throughout the grounds wore lighter armour, sporting green shields. As you approach a guard turns in you, speaking in a gruff voice.
    "Cutting it close aren't you? Curfew's almost in affect."
    Inside the pits is not unlike the rest of the grounds, except of course its occupants. Goblins, predominantly, but also orcs, gnolls, a bugbear and other uncommon races for a human city. There is a two story building not far from the entrance, obviously an inn from the name across its wall 'The Worthless Rest'. The letters are not the original it would seem, remnants of a past name leak through the white paint slapped across it.
    [Time: Just before 9pm]

16. - Top - End - #16

Imp

Strixi doesn't react noticeably to the segregation, it was no surprise based on what he'd seen so far. His only response to the guard is a nod of acknowledgement.
    Seeing the inn's prominent position near the entrance, he assumes it must be a fairly busy establishment, perfect to blend in and learn from the locals. Stashing his cloak in his haversack, strixi enters, leaving him only in shorts and the belt holding his metamagic rod, and the copper circlet on his head.
    The spells cast earlier are still in effect.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

The tavern is unlike most you would find in a city. Asides from its occupants - mostly goblins - the tavern has constructs roaming the floor, three mechanical dogs prowl around the patrons, while a tattered humanoid construct stands behind the bar. At the bar are two staff, a hobgoblin male, and oddly enough a female gnome.

18. - Top - End - #18

Imp

Strixi takes a moment to observe the constucts:
    "K. Arcana - Dogs" - (1d20+6)[18]
    "K. Arcana - Humanoid" - (1d20+6)[17]

Approaching the bar, he gauges the gnome's reaction to a Kobold entering (Sense motive request +5.) and looks to the hobgoblin. "Room for two small ones?" As if answering, Kane flies up and around the bar excitedly, apparently enjoying the night time and new environment. "and a small honeyed wine wouldn't go amiss, if you have it."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

You know little about these constructs, though you think that the dogs are a creation known as 'Iron Defenders'.
    [Sense Motive 19 vs DC 20]
    The gnome notices you, she spends a few moments looking at you, but you are unable to determine her thoughts.
    The hobgoblin turns to you, speaking his native tongue.
    "If you don't mind fella, could ya keep that little pest on a leash. Most of my customers aint nottin but reg'lar folk, I don't want em disturbed. I've got a room for one if that'll do ya. As for the drink"
    He switches to the common tongue, for which he obviously has more trouble with.
    "Ashara, serve little lizard please"
    The gnome approaches you.
    "Honeyed wine was that? Most of us just call it mead in these parts."
    She reaches for a clean glass and pours you a drink.
    "Its not the best of brews but its not the worst either, that'll be an 15 coppers for the drink and the room"

20. - Top - End - #20

Imp

Fun Time's over Kane, I'll let you out when we get to the room. There is no clue that any commands were given, but the bat comes back to land on the little lizard's back. "I guess he heard you, although I doubt he considers himself a pest." Strixi says in goblin.

"Yes, mead, I'm not from these parts. Tell me Ashara, the guards mentioned a curfew, is that for everyone in the pits, such as yourself, or is that just for us 'lesser' races?" he asks conversationally as he hands over 2 silver.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Ashara takes the two silver, retrieving change from a lockbox.
    "Its for anyone living in the pits"
    She hands you back five coppers.
    "Though I may be the only one here not considered a 'lesser' race"
    She emphasises her disapproval on the word lesser.
    "So what brings you to Osmath little kobold?"

22. - Top - End - #22

Imp

"I see, it seemed like a lot of guards just for a few goblins. Humans eh?" Strixi samples some of the mead, then continues "So what makes a gnome leave the big safe city to live with the savages?" he seems to be enjoying the irony of humans considering themselves advanced.
    "I'm here for research, trying to find my great grandfather. I owe him for this, gesturing to the green scales which are most concentrated over his shoulders and back. "do you know of any other kobolds in the city?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

"Unlike the rest of the Osmathians, I don't fear your kind."
    She pours herself a drink and sits down behind the bar.
    "And I also know you all have money others aren't so willing to take. So when I saw the pits for myself, saw how few trading opportunities they had, I decided to make everyone a little better off. I bought this abandoned tavern, set up shop. Of course, this tavern does more than just supply drinks and rooms."
    She serves another customer and returns to you.
    "Anyway, kobolds. They are few and far between in this city, ever since Kredine's lot declared war on us. Even the kobolds under Sharlang are housed in the dungeons. So who was this grandfather you speak of?"

24. - Top - End - #24

Imp

"Sounds like decent business sense, for the biggest city in the realm of good, they could be more progressive don't you think? While she serves the other customer, kane looks imploringly at strixi, it appears he's being impatient.
    The kobold does not respond.

"Sharlang? I'm not familiar with them.
    Yes, he was a young green dragon trying to claim a territory for his own, my tribe gave tribute to him briefly. Soon an older blue reclaimed it and all those with his blood lost favour. I've since left, I'm hoping he's still alive so we can work together."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

"Them? You don't know Sharlang?"
    She says this apparently louder than she intended. Many in the room turn their heads, as if resentful of the phrase. Ashara brings her volume down and continues.
    "Sharlang is an old-tongue word, roughly translated it means 'Mercy-Oath'. When The Order defeats a foe, any remaining members of their adversary can invoke Sharlang. Those who do so are spared their lives, so long as they endure a life of servitude. That is the cause for so many of my patrons"
    She takes a swig from her drink.
    "Of course it doesn't stop the military from being suspicious of them, which is of course ridiculous. Sharlang is not unlike a Geas, once you say the words you cannot break the Oath without death befalling you. Still, the common folk fear those here, as such they are monitored very carefully. That's nothing compared to Dragons though. You wont see a chromatic dragon in these parts, but the mages might know more about it"

26. - Top - End - #26

Imp

"My tribe are actually fairly isolated, I'm probably one of the first to leave the island by choice in decades. That's why our territories are so often contested between chromatics, there's not enough space. Dragon politics are dangerous business, if they were ever to unify, the Zatyr Isles could be a very different place." Strixi takes a drink again, it's surprising how well he handles the drink considering the mug is the size of his head. "but that's another story."
    "This Sharlang though, condemning your enemies to a magically enforced life of slavery, killing them would be more merciful. That's the problem with holy empires, they can't see the desert for the sand."
    Leaning back, the kobold glances at the hobgoblin, "So if you're in charge here, what's his story?" he asks.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

"Well, those who agree with you accept their fate. Sharlang is a choice after all. I'm sure the King and Council would abolish it if they could."
    She turns to the hobgoblin.
    "He was my front man, until I could set up successfully. Goblins don't much trust Gnomes you see. Now he remains as first mate as it were. Look after my ship when I'm not around. I pay him well and he does his job."
    Last edited by Kredine; 2013-07-11 at 03:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Imp

"I see, but what about the constructs? I'm vaguely familiar with the dogs, but the humanoid is odd. Seems like you surround yourself with those you command the loyalty of, you could have made a good dragonwrought if born among us."

"Diplomacy for blatant flattery" - (1d20+16)[36]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Though she attempts to hide it, her lips form into a noticeable half-smile, before she regains her composition.
    "You're very sweet little kobold, but I am afraid I have surrounded myself by those whose loyalty can be bought, not that which has been earned, or trusted. As for the constructs, they are just to ensure the safety of my patrons. Well, except the Shield Guardian"
    She nods to the humanoid construct.
    "He's here for my safety"
    She notices your nearly empty drink.
    "Another?"

30. - Top - End - #30

Imp

"Bought loyalty is still loyalty, but then if you have constructs at your beck and call, you can risk a few finding better offers." The kobold says, finishing his drink. "You read my mind, but I'll have to mingle with the clientele, my tribe would throw a fit to see me drinking with a gnome. Besides, I'll need plenty of friends if my stay in this city is going to work out as well as I plan." As Ashala pours his drink, Strixi surveys the crowd, to see where he should start.