New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Iron Coast [IC]

Maahes

Maahes keeps an eye out for any more trouble.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Willem

Willem climbs back on to the ship, nursing his injuries. He empties a barrel and climbs inside it, casting Create Water for the next 3 hours.

He appears to be sulking.

3. - Top - End - #33

Maahes

Maahes will say a brief prayer and then plunge his hand into the barrel of water to heal Willem.

Spoiler
    Show

Sacrificing Cat's Grace for Cure Moderate Wounds.
    (2d8+5)[13]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Frieda

"Well that was a pretty feeble attempt on our lives... WAIT! They didn't take anything did they?"
    Frieda checks herself to see if the skum took one of her things while she wasn't looking. Seeing everything in place. She calms down.
    "Anyone know what the Hells that was about?"
    Spoiler: Campaign Journals
    Show

Axinia: My campaign setting.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Captain Ironbeard

"Well that did be about something, but I nea can rightly decide what. We do be shipping food, and those did nea feel like ocean scavengers to me. They messed with our minds good, and I do be disliking that.

When Willem be coming out of his barrel, I'll be having him set up a better perimeter with the bodies of the fish we managed to slay aboard. For now, let's tack shore ward and see if the shallower water do dissuade any intervention.

The watch is to be keeping me trident for safety. I did detect their slimy hides under the waves, so maybe we don't be surprised next time. Serrah, you be taking first shift with the trident. I want a scan three times a minute. Do be givin a holler ifn you detect anything dangerous. I want enough warning to get me trident back in time to catch some fish flesh on the prongs.

Does anyman have any loose gold or gems for making magic crafts. I do be fresh out, and I do be thinking a line of defense for mind control be in order. Providing a potion or scroll of Protection from evil to each crew member shouldn't cost more than 150 to 200gp. It may well be worth the expense. You will be reimbursed through the ship fund if you offer up now. I will begin brewing and crafting immediately."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Adrian continues to sit. "Thank you, but I can take care of myself."

7. - Top - End - #37

Maahes

Maahes will ponder for a bit, and then speak. "I will prepare a spell to check the provisions in the morning, to be certain they have not been poisoned. If the attack was at all related to our cargo, that is the only logical objective for it, short of taking the ship itself."
    Last edited by EriktheRed; 2013-07-10 at 04:34 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Reglenere "I'm...quite the enchantress captain, in most meanings of the word, but now formal magic is what matters. That coupled with my fey heritage makes it quite difficult to control me, though I understand that the rest of you do not fare so well. I should be quite alright, but I will front one-hundred and fifty gold none-the-less. Even a single additional shipmate safe is well worth the price."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Serrha had been observing the dying skum with a morbid curiosity when the captain calls her. She bounces onto the deck, exchanging Wulgren's enchanted trident for her own mundane version. "Collateral," she says, winking. She brandishes the weapon, and after a moment of fiddling with it, sends out a pulse from the weapon.

Spoiler
    Show
    UMD: (1d20+11)[19]

The pulse returns in moments, and Serrha's head is suddenly filled with a vision that was not exactly real, but all to real at the same moment. The excitement she feels sends rainbow shivers through skin, and she begins to fidget with the weapon, looking for any marks on it that might tell her more about the enchantment. When the captain made a call for gold, she almost absentmindedly picks out a few pieces to keep for herself before handing the rest of the velvet pouch to him, her attention almost completely absorbed on the weapon. "I'm gonna have to get myself something like this," she murmurs.
    Last edited by OhMyGodImOnFire; 2013-07-09 at 06:50 AM.
    Caution: Deviance Ahead.
    Sarcasm. Sincerity. Nitpick.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Baltram, last remaining below deck, goes about slaying the few remaining Skum with deadly precision. He attempts to keep their bodies mostly intact, gravely considering their future as zombie allies. As he ascends to the main deck, Baltram looks to the captain as he requests funding.

"What is the money for, exactly? Will we not need to dock first to buy reagents? If you have them already, why do you need the money? I ask out of curiosity... do you merely melt down the gold?"

Baltram's lopsided sneer accompanies an offered sack of 150 gold pieces.

11. - Top - End - #41

RogueGuy

Captain Ironbeard

"Nay, I can brew from just about anything, but gold itself be a bit much of a' restriction.

The supplies I need are nae expensive, and I should be finding everathing we do be needing in the next fishing village I do be crossing. We drop anchor and step out on the launch for a little shopping trip."
    Last edited by Fouredged Sword; 2013-07-09 at 06:22 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

The next few days at sea go rather more smoothly. The weather is calm and clear, and there are no incursions into the ship of any kind. A pod of dolphins follows you for a day or so, bouncing out of the waves and chittering at anyone on deck in a playful manner.

Late morning of the fourth day after the attack, you begin to approach the mining town you've been paid to bring the supplies to. It's a strange place, with mines on both sides of the waterline. Your employer told you that it's run by a group of aquatic dwarves and gnomes, who don't much care what they're breathing as long as they can strip the minerals of the area out of the ground.

The ship pulls into the harbor, and now, for the first time, you begin noticing the...lack of movement. There's no one about the docks, and no one visible in town. You tie the ship up, and stand there at the end of the docks, looking around.

There's no one.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Serrha walks down the gangplank, and spots the ghost town. She crosses her arms, furrowing her brow in thought. "Maybe it's a holiday," she postulates, more jokingly than anything. She walks around, picking and sniffing at the various things that were strewn along the harbor. She didn't have a particularly good nose, but she had always thought that it helped to use all her senses when trying to figure things out.
    Last edited by OhMyGodImOnFire; 2013-07-09 at 08:11 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44

RogueGuy

Wulgren takes his trident and detects aquatic predators.

Looking for starfish, eels and other small predators should give me a rough outline of all underwater tunnels within 680ft.

"All right laddies, form up in shifts and lets arrange a search pattern. Something be fishy here, and I suspect we maybe found the reason for our attack at sea. I suspect that some fish didn't want this found just yet.

Clerics to the middle of the search parties, and be ready with a protection from evil effect. If ya get attacked by something you think may be mind controlled, try to nae kill it. I want to know what be going on. Knock them out or hit them with a protection spell to suppress the control."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Willem

"Cap'n, to be fair..." Willem has come out of his barrel, and is holding several pounds of onyx in his hands, "...I do believe you'd rather my personal wealth be invested other places."

And with that, he begins dragging bodies away under the ship...... And then returns later with a zombie skum and a skeleton skum.

2 Zombies and 10 Skeletons

There uh.... There might be 10 more of these down under the ship... these two are for my own services though.

SKIPPING AHEAD TO THE GHOST TOWN
    "......... huh. I um..... Huh. After you..?" Willem will follow anyone into the town, but uhh... he's not going first.........

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Adrian says nothing, but nods his head softly.

17. - Top - End - #47

RogueGuy

Captain Ironbeard

"Me and Wellin be searching the tunnels under water. We be taking the undead to aid us.

Reglanere, you be taking Threal, Enrico, and Adrian. Search the perimeter. Look for any signs of the occupants leaving inland.

Baltram, you take Maahes, Frieda, and Serrha and search the town above water level.

Meet back in thirty minuets, even if you find something, else we come looking for you as a group.

If you run into trouble, try not to kill anyone who may be mind controlled. Defend yourself if you have no other choice, but do what you can to avoid killing.

Alright lads, break for search, meet back in half a mark. Good hunting."

With that Wulgren casts a few spells and hops off the side of the ship and into the water.

Spoiler
    Show

His boots are now +4 competence items of search, his hat is now +4 int, his gloves are +4 strength, and his belt is +4 con.

1 1st level spell, 3 2nd level spells.
    Last edited by Fouredged Sword; 2013-07-09 at 10:03 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Willem
    Willem follows after Wulgren, with all the undead behind him, save for the necromental which he sends out front.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Circle against Chaos on both of us too

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Baltram

Baltram stares hard at the village, watching the undead slowly submerge into the water behind Willem and the Captain.

Baltram glances askance at Maahes, Fieda, and Serrha, and says, "too much to ask for a normal job now and then, aye? Always some kind of sea monster or dark curse it seems."

"Well, no time like the present. Let's get into the village. Start in the middle, spiral out. Stay within a dozen paces of each other, communication open. We're looking for movement and life. If you find only one or the other, call it out and be careful."

Baltram makes his way to the shore, and works his way into the village. As he walks, he coats his dagger in Goodnight Kiss poison and his greatsword in Purple Worm poison. He also carries his Dorje of Force Shield and activates it at the first sign of trouble.

Spoiler
    Show
    That morning, Baltram decided to bind the Mutinous King. Binding Check: (1d20+9)[24] vs DC 20.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Serrha lets out a soft whoop, and starts to make her way up toward the town, bouncing information off her three companions as they head inland. "Did you know," she said, reciting, "this town was built off of the mines they have around these parts? They've even got caverns here that wash up valuable stuff every so often. Guess these dwarves and gnomes should be thanking the sea monsters!" Then she stops dead, a piece of information that may be crucial for everyone to know. "Wait! Apparently some of the wildlife had already started going missing, even when I'd read about it," she said, recounting the mysterious incident that the locals reportedly didn't seem to have an interest in. "I get the feeling that whatever took the animals, took the people as well." But as the others push past her, she follows them into town.

She giggles a little at Baltram's observation. "But that would be boring, wouldn't it?" Then, her quipping done for the moment, she listens and starts to fan out, looking for any sign of movement, fingering her lucky coin nervously and Calling it back into the palm of her hand every time she flips it too far away.
    Last edited by OhMyGodImOnFire; 2013-07-09 at 11:22 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Baltram

"Yes," he says to Serrha, "it would be. And it would be divine. On another note, can any of you use magic to, well, detect other magics? Or people? Yeah, detect people."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Serrha shakes her head. "Not that I prepared this morning, though if anything jumps is I can make it trip and stick it with the pointy end," she says, flicking out her hidden blade to punctuate the idea. She then goes back to the task at hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Making relevant rolls:
    Spot: (1d20+1)[18]
    Listen: (1d20+1)[5]
    Search: (1d20+5)[25]

23. - Top - End - #53

RogueGuy

Wulgren Ironbeard

Wulgren does a search of the floor of the docks, looking for discarded tools, sunken boats, or anything else suspicious.

Search (1d20+11)[20]

Then he begins to search the nearest mine tunnel. He keeps Willem within 10ft at all times.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Willem

Willem follows Wulgren, but he's less concerned with the fate of the town, and more concerned with not having a repeat of a few days ago. He keeps his minions swirling around him, moving about and providing a through barrier between him and whoever else might seek to harm him. He doesn't pay as much attention to the details of who lived here or what they did. But he is ready for attack at an instance, with his mental control of the undead prepared to defend and attack, almost bordering on paranoia...

25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground

Frieda

Frieda goes with Baltram's group, strolling proudly onto the shore first. "No welcoming party? How rude!"

She also takes long look at the town ahead of her, as if waiting for some sort of lavish welcome to arrive.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spot
    (1d20+1)[4]

Edit: And she sees nothing of note...
    Last edited by Axinian; 2013-07-09 at 12:28 PM.
    Spoiler: Campaign Journals
    Show

Axinia: My campaign setting.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Adrian beckons to Shedu, and the two of them go along with the others

27. - Top - End - #57

AssassinGuy

Enrico

"Yes Sir! I can also protect people against mind effecting magic, if our clerics cannot cast enough spells themselves" With that, Enrcio starts walks towards the edge of the town, casting a spell as he goes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast protection from evil on myself

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Willem and Wulgren: (comedy team extraordinaire)

The pair of you kick around the docks for a while, looking for signs of...anything, really. The undead skum circle around Willem guardingly, while Wulgren searches the dock thoroughly. There's a surprising lack of tools or rope, and no sign of any boats or ships here for the last week or so. The dock itself has a thin sheen of algae growing, as though no one has cleaned or even walked on it in some time.

After taking all of this into account, you descend into one of the tunnels. The main shaft is actually surprisingly dry most of the way down. However, when it reaches the bottom, there are about four feet of inky black water pooled there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here, move along: (1d4)[2]

Reglanere, Threal, Enrico, and Adrian:

The four of you prepare yourselves for a bit of a hike, gathering supplies from around the ship.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mostly just waiting on Threal and Reglanere right now.

Baltram, Maahes, Frieda, and Serrha:

You set off into town, heading along the main street. The continuing lack of signs of life is...disturbing. As Serrha babbles facts at you about the area, you enter the town. There's no sound at all as you walk except the crunch of your shoes down the gravel road. Doors hang open on some of the buildings, but there's no sign of destruction.

29. - Top - End - #59

Maahes - Town Detail

The gnome seems to have no difficulty keeping up with his longer-legged compatriots, his enchanted boots giving him a spring to his step that allows him to keep up. "Indeed, I never leave home without a detect magic prepared or two. But first, a precautionary measure." Maahes incants a spell, and his hand glows a dim blue before moving up with some alacrity to place his hand on Serrha's arm, discharging the spell. "This will keep out any mental manipulations. I have one remaining for today, but I will keep that in reserve, since I can't hit all of us." He then casts another spell, and there is a faint shimmer of blue reflected in his eyes, as his expanded sight picks up the enchantments present on the party.

Spoiler
    Show

Boots of Striding and Springing give Maahes a 30ft. movement rate.
    Casting Protection from Evil on Serrha, then casting Detect Magic.
    Last edited by EriktheRed; 2013-07-10 at 04:34 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Willem, with Wulgren

Willem sends the necromental into the water to give it a looksy. He kind of wishes he was better trained in recognizng what things were......