New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Iron Coast [IC]

Maahes - Team Urban "most of the party now" Commandos

Maahes ponders a bit, and then responds to the captain. "If we decide to wait until tomorrow, I can come up with a few options to assist with dealing with poison and wandering monster tentacles. The casualty count may rise after another day however. We do not know the current state of the survivors, if any," he says matter-of-factly.
    Last edited by EriktheRed; 2013-07-12 at 08:12 AM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

"I do ney think that there are survivors. These beasts be beasts, not men. They seem to be driven by hunger, nae conquest. To dig these tunnels twould take many as well. I do fear that survivors be not a likely situation. I would not risk those of use still alive recklessly unless we do find some sign that there be a soul still alive.

Even then, this be off paycheck. I will not be asking any man to do this without a promise of pay. Ifn you nae want to go after these beasts for what they have done to my distant kin, then you may man the ship while we search, and ifn we do nae return within two days, leave without us.

But, I be hearing no argument of action until every man aboard be informed. The group from the woods should be here soon, not need to rush."
    Last edited by Fouredged Sword; 2013-07-12 at 08:21 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153

Maahes

Maahes finds a bench or some such object to sit on, and pulls out his spell book and a pad of paper, making plans for tomorrow's mission.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Willem-Team Questionably Moral Conscience

"Well... Ya know. To be fair, this doesn't necessarily have to be off paycheck. There DOES appear to be a rather uninhabited town here. And it's not like the dead need a shiny new sword. ...well, at least not until I've got to them" he finishes with a wink.

"We should at least check out some of the local businesses and maybe see if there aren't any bits and pieces around that might better serve us than their former owners..? So where's the biggest shops around here?"

5. - Top - End - #155

Maahes

"What do you think would be more useful, Captain. A spell to allow us all to breath water, or a spell to make someone grow spikes for about an hour, to discourage touchy-feely monsters?"

6. - Top - End - #156

RogueGuy

"Fair enough. Be there bounty to be found during this task, it be fair game for a share of anyman who joins me in vengeance for me kin. I can promise nothing though, and ask rather than order in this matter."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

And Cap'n... might we head back to the ship now? I think we have seen all we need to for today. We need to meet with the rest of the crew, assuming they're alive, and prepare for tomorrow. The Sea will provide us some safety I believe. If these creatures are hungry, they will find much easier meals in the water than they would having to fight us for our flesh."

Willem scoops up a handful of dirt from the ground and pockets it...

Spoiler
    Show
    If we head back to the ship and nothing stops us along the way, Willem will ask around the other party members to figure out who would be most likely to know more about these creatures, and then cast Guidance of the Avatar on them for a knowledge check to learn more about them.

Furthermore, once on the ship, he will fire off another Turn Water blindly in the ocean, more as a protective measure and as a matter of ritual, than as an actual attempt to turn or command anything. But the check for that
    Turning Check (1d20+3)[9]
    Turning Damage (2d6+9)[15]

He thanks the Sea for his safe return as he does so, and throws the dirt he had scooped up into the water.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

Frieda

"It's gotta be more exciting than staying in that musty old cabin all day. Treasure is always nice too."
    Spoiler: Campaign Journals
    Show

Axinia: My campaign setting.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Threal - Team the second

"I'll lead the party by 60 or so feet to watch for any dangers on the way back" and with that Threal moved forward, hiding best he could with their current pace as they head back to the ship/town.

Spoiler
    Show
    hiding while moving over half speed:(1d20+19)[37]
    move quietly "" "": (1d20+15)[33]

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

While walking back, Willem suddenly stops dead in his tracks, visibly agitated...

"They... They're breeding. This isn't just an experiment gone wrong and now there's some scarier monsters. There was a baby. Oh gods.... What... What if there's a Queen? These kinds of things usually have an Alpha that gives birth right?? We need to find someone who knows more about these..."

And with that his pace quickens...

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Both groups arrive back at the ship, first the team that went around the town, and then, about half an hour later, the team that went into town. The wounded dwarf is still babbling, but he's in and out of consciousness, and seems less afraid of you, almost as though he's sedated.

The day isn't quite over yet, with the sun setting in vibrant orange tones to the west. The sky above is perfectly clear, but to the south, you see massive thunderheads beginning to form. It looks as though a storm is coming; you can all feel the electricity in the air.

12. - Top - End - #162

RogueGuy

Captain Ironbeard

Wulgren casts a quick spell to enhance his skills as a sailor and sets the ship for a storm. He moves it out away from any objects it could strike and drops two anchors.

Then he goes down and buries the anchors himself underwater.

Spoiler
    Show

Taking 20 on a profession sailor check to set the ship for the storm. Result = 32, getting aid other from other crew members with prof sailor ups that to 36.

He then gathers the crew.

"A storm do be rolling in, and I no doubt it be landing at the worst moment. Be ready for a rough night on the water.

I do not be trust the waves to protect us from the creatures in town, nor do I be trusting the storm enough to risk open waters, so we be resting here, with a watchful eye on both the shore and the horizon.

Third watch, be getting some rest. First watch be taking the watch until you are rested, then you are up while the rest of us get some sleep.

Be on the watch for cloudy water. The nopebugs be seeming to hide inside it. Alert your watch command if you notice ANYTHING out of the ordinary. Arcane casters, rest fully, and we will call if confirmed a threat has arrived.

Be ready, be strong, and be watchful. Goodnight."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Serrha - Team Lone Factotum

Eventually, Serrha arrives at the apothecary a ways from the mine shaft, panting but happy that she had remembered correctly. She gingerly eases the door open, and sure enough, in the middle of the floor was a massive hole. Great, she thinks ruefully, just fantastic. But what she sees next stops her from backing away. Around the hole sits shelves that rest awfully close to the edge, each filled with potions, the glass glinting in the afternoon sun. After weighing her options for all of a few seconds, Serrha opens her pack, and gets to work.

She begins by repeating the trick from her recent experience with Baltram and Maahes, tying the now slimy rope in a tight knot around the haft of her Guisarme, which she jams horizontally across the doorframe. With the other end, Serrha ties it around her waist, wrapping some of the slack around herself so she wouldn't fall so far. Then, with a deep breath and two hands on the shelves, she starts to climb, swinging from one shelf to the next, picking off potions rather indiscriminately and putting them into the pockets of her haversack, leaving the extradimensional pockets to do their work as she continues her precarious work. She isn't very strong, nor was she particularly dextrous, but she knew what she had to do, knew exactly where to put her hands and feet for the most support and the most efficient pathing. To aid in her efforts even more, she sends her mind back to when she had observed some master climbers scale the side of a mountain, agile but firm in his movements. She applies his techniques now, further improving her grip and stability as she moves across the shelves. Eventually, she's able to collect all the potions she could get her grubby little paws on, unrolling the extra slack to get to the furthest ones. Then she inches her way back, and puts away her impromptu climbing gear once she is back on solid ground. Patting her now incredibly handy haversack, she hustles back to the ship, a new spring in her step.

As the sun takes its last bow on the horizon, Serrha arrives, beat but glad. "Hail! I bring good tidings," she yells as she climbs the gangplank, "and gifts! Mostly gifts!" She drops her sack on the deck with a satisfactory thump, the sound heavier than usual. Just my imagination, she thinks, knowing the haversack never actually changes weight. That's always been a very curious thing. I'll need to investigate that more at a later date.
    Last edited by OhMyGodImOnFire; 2013-07-12 at 01:38 PM.
    Caution: Deviance Ahead.
    Sarcasm. Sincerity. Nitpick.

14. - Top - End - #164

Frieda

*Sigh* "Now a real storm... Hopefully this one is devoid of tentacle monsters. I don't think I can handle any more of their stench."
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

As the sun sets, Willem begins his nightly ritual to the Sea, drinking in a mouthful of the briny water and thanking the Sea for the power it gives him.

He prepares his spells for the next day and then makes his way to quarters for a quick 2 hours of sleep.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Serrha

Serrha raises an eyebrow as she opens up her pack. "Sea monsters stink? That's news to me. All I never smell is brine, brine, and more brine..." As she speaks, the changeling starts pulling the flasks out and setting them on deck one by one. When she's done, there are eight flasks in all - two potions of Bull's Strength, three potions of Darkvision, two potions of Spiderclimb, and one flask filled with the slime she had scraped off her rope. "Have at 'em, boys and girls!" she exclaims, a rainbow rippling through her skin excitedly.

"Except for that last one. That might not be so good for you."
    Last edited by OhMyGodImOnFire; 2013-07-12 at 01:45 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

The storm raged against the ship, smashing waves and rain and sleet into the sides. Those on watch were miserable, and those down below were, if not less miserable, at least warm. The dwarf had fallen into a deep sleep hours ago, and continued to mutter in his sleep. A palor had fallen over him, but there was nothing apparently wrong with him, beyond the poisoning and blood loss.

A few hours into the watch, the dwarf begins to scream. Those of you belowdecks are awoken instantly. He continues to scream, one after another, as though he were enduring the worst pain in the world.

Spoiler
    Show

Lots of checks. Here we go.

BEFORE YOU READ THE REST OF THIS:

You're allowed a couple of spells cast that would be reasonable for you to have cast to get through the night. Daylight, darkvision, et cetera. I reserve the right to nix spells I feel are metagaming, but, to be honest, I really, really doubt anyone in this group is going to do that. Just a word of caution, really. You guys are good players.
    Spoiler
    Show

All Spot and Listen checks above decks are at a -5, unless you have a way to see through rain/sleet. It's really pissing down. The night is dark, requiring either a light of some sort or darkvision to see at all.

Moving more than your move speed in a round will take a Balance check, DC 10, to stay upright. You can use your Profession (Sailor) skill for this check, instead. If there's a direct contradiction in the rules (Stormwrack), someone say something, and then apply those conditions to your rolls, instead.

Anyone at the front end of the ship, above deck:
    Make a Spot check.

Anyone at the back end of the ship, above deck:
    Make a Spot check.

Everyone above deck:
    Make a Listen check, DC 5, to hear the screams.

Everyone below deck that goes to the dwarf:
    Make a Spot check, DC 15.

If no one looking at the dwarf succeeds on that, but someone attempts to help him or figure out what's wrong, make a DC 10 Heal check.

18. - Top - End - #168

Frieda

Frieda bolts awake and starts grumbling about being woken up. She uses Light to get some visibility, as well as Mage Armor out of habit. She'll go to see the dwarf, but not until someone else is going with her.

*mumble*mumble* "Can someone please shut him up? I'll shove--" *yawn* "shove a sock in the loon's mouth if I have to. It's hard enough to sleep with this blasted storm about."

Spoiler
    Show

Spot check for if I get there (1d20+1)[4]
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Willem

Standing on the front end of the ship watching the storm, Willem gently rocks with the movement of the waves on the ship. The rain is anything but uncomfortable to him. All these land walkers complaining about a little water...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20-1)[11]
    Listen (1d20-1)[1]

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

Reglanere is glowing something fierce. Both her face and her armor emit bright light
    Spoiler
    Show
    , giving +4 to spot and 120 ft vision, since I have low light vision.

She is at the wheel, and unless she sees or hears something strange, or something needs doing with the ship, she's playing the flute softly, admiring the storm, soaked to the bone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+3)[14]
    Perform: (1d20+13)[22]
    Profession (Sailor): (1d20+8)[16]
    Listen: (1d20-1)[14]

When she hears the Dwarf scream, she sends the closest person to her to check it out.
    Last edited by Alokue; 2013-07-12 at 06:01 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171

RogueGuy

Captain Ironguard

Question, can I use my stability bonus for being a dwarf as part of my checks to move around?

Spot (1d20-1)[15]
    Listen (1d20-1)[9]

Wulgren also burned the divine insight (+15 to the check), and a second first level spell for +4 to UMD, and a 1st level spell to gain Delay Poison for 7 hours (14exp burned), DC 27 check

(1d20+27)[29] roll for because formality

Let see what the rolls are...

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Serrha

As the storm rages, Serrha walks miserably along the deck. Though she had been able to bestow upon herself the black-and-white darkvision to see through the night, and no longer felt the biting cold by virtue of the endure elements she had cast on herself, the rain still soaked her through to her skin, and every step felt like an absolutely soggy mess. Doing her duty, she looks out into the night, not entirely sure what she's looking for, and not entirely sure she'd see it even if it were there, with the rain coming down so hard. But she tries anyway.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20-4)[13]

As it turns out, the rain isn't so bad, and the changeling is able to see through the sheets of rain that poured down on them. Though everything is miserably wet, Reglanere's music keeps her entertained, wafting from the helm like a siren's song, but nowhere near as deadly. Though that half-fey's charm could have just about the same effect, she thinks, amused. Suddenly, a faint sound emanates from below deck, Serrha's ears barely picking up on the sound. She stops, and strains to hear, giving herself a blast of genius to hear better, using sound augmenting techniques she learned from watching the hard-of-hearing at plays.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen: (1d20+2)[11]

Serrha identifies the sound as a scream, and that of the dwarf they had rescued, no less. She moves to inform the others the other before going below deck to check things out herself, but with the swaying of the ship and the winds that accompanied the rain, it's slow going.
    Last edited by OhMyGodImOnFire; 2013-07-12 at 08:58 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173

Maahes

Maahes sees the bustle aboard the ship as people wake up, but doesn't see or hear anything over the storm as he keeps watch on the deck.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Adrian

Adrian is in his cabin, sleeping, when the dwarf begins to scream. Hearing it and instantly awakening, he immediately jumps out of bed, grabs his staff, and flies across the boat to the dwarf.

Spoiler
    Show
    My Spot check is +14, so I don't actually have to roll.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Above Deck

The chains for the anchors rattle unnoticeably in the storm, going taut as though pulled by some weight. Moments later, with no forewarning, four large, insectile apes erupt from the water, quickly scaling the sides of the ship- two at the stern and two at the bow. As one, they mover to attack the closest person, claws glistening with water.

Spoiler
    Show
    They're what Willem and Wulgren fought.

Below Deck

Adrian gets to the dwarf, and briefly recoils in disgust. There are things moving under his skin, at least a dozen of them, all six inches long. The dwarf continues his screaming, and begins treating at his skin.

[SPOILER]Initiative should be rolled for everyone. If someone would roll the monsters at a plus twelve for me, that would be great. If they're not first, start acting.[SPOILER]

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Willem

"NOPEBUGS!!!"

Willem yells at the top of his lungs to be heard over the storm. He swiftly steps away from the monstrosities, and climbs his way up the mast that is glowing like the sun, hoping the bugs will want to stay away from the brightest part. He then casts a spell, and seems to phase away... And as he does, he secretes a bit of his poison...

Spoiler
    Show
    got a climb speed... Should start using it. Blur, also. He's literally suctioned to the top of the mast. Poison tongue.

27. - Top - End - #177

AssassinGuy

On watch during the dreary storm, Enrico hears Willem's shout moments before he spots the bugs himself. Calmly, two magical fireballs spring from his fingers and fly above the two groups of bugs, detonating when next to the bugs to catch the while missing most of the ship.

Spoiler
    Show

Cast scuplted firey fireball, scuplted into cubes which contain the monsters
    Damage (9d6+21)[61]

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Baltram

Baltram, as he constantly reminded his crew mates, hated the sea. He hated the water, he hated the salt, the smell, and the look. More than anything, he hated the motion.

Baltram was never meant to be a sailor, but that never stopped him from doing what must be done- staying in motion, constantly moving, never coming to rest for long.

That being said, he did have an excuse for always looking ill.

He was old.

Laying awake in his spray-soaked bunk, Baltram hears the screams from the next room over. Dashing there, he looks down upon the writhing masses under the dwarf's skin.

In a fluster, he pulls out his dagger and cuts one out- near the dwarf's forearm.

Spoiler
    Show

Heal check to not slice open an artery or whatnot: (1d20)[19]

Dagger is still coated in Goodnight Kiss: Fort Save DC 17 or become exhausted; if he is already at least fatigued (as I have no doubt he is) he will instead fall unconscious. After a minute, if he is not unconscious, he rolls again.

Initiatives:
    Spoiler
    Show

Baltram - (1d20-2)[12]
    Monsters - (1d20+12)[20]
    (Not sure if you wanted one or four rolled...)
    Maahes - (1d20+2)[8]
    Wulgren - (1d20-1)[4]
    Threal - (1d20+7)[18]
    Frieda - (1d20+1)[17]
    Adrian - (1d20)[2]
    Serrha - (1d20-2)[4]
    Willem - (1d20+8)[26]
    Enrico - (1d20)[8]
    Reglanere - (1d20+3)[17]

Made sense to do them all for RFLS.

...and shows why I should read the OOC thread before the IC one. Sheesh.

Last edited by cameronpants; 2013-07-13 at 01:50 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179

RogueGuy

Captain Ironbeard -

As he sees the Nopebug cross the ridge of the ship he charged with the force of the mountain, trying to knock it back into the sea.

Spoiler
    Show

Chaging minotaur - strength check - [roll]1d2o+4[/roll] opposed by a strength check
    If it works - damage (3d6+4)[14]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

Reglanere

Reglanere, upon seeing the bugs, stows her flute and moves towards the center of the ship. Her hands and feet move smoothly and with grace, despite the storm, and her incantation makes everyone think of a siren's song. After a second, a light brighter than the rest begins to accumulate around her hands, and at the end of the spell, she puts her hands together and an orb of light flies forward towards the enemies.

Spoiler
    Show

Cast Lesser Fire Orb.
    Ranged Touch Attack: (1d20+6)[13]
    Damage: (2d8)[9]
    Concentration if necessary: (1d20+10)[24]
    Balance: Autopass if DC 20 or less. Move full speed.