New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: The Iron Coast [IC]

Wulgren nods in agreement.

"Aye, down."

He then sets off down the path towards out of town, calmly down into the dark, almost like a man walking home.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Creepy Dark Tunnel

The air gets cooler the farther down the tunnel you get, chilling you to the bone. The tendraath young in this area are smaller, almost lizard sized, and flee as soon as the light from your torches touches on their hides.

Wulgren leads the way down the caverns, barely heeding where he goes. As he steps over a particularly large rock, a blur of motion comes from under it, tearing into his legs.

Spoiler
    Show

Critter #1:
    Spoiler
    Show

Claw: (1d20+12)[22]
    Claw: (1d20+12)[26]
    Bite: (1d20+10)[14]
    Crit Conf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Claw: (1d20+12)[13]
    Claw: (1d20+12)[24]
    Bite: (1d20+10)[20]

Claw Damage: (1d4+3)[4] + (4d6+5)[1][5][4][6](21) Sneak attack
    Claw Damage: (1d4+3)[6] + (4d6+5)[2][5][5][6](23) Sneak attack
    Bite Damage: (1d6+3)[9] + (4d6+5)[6][3][6][5](25) Sneak attack

Poison DC 16 Fort save for only one hit, DC 18 on 2 or more:
    Spoiler
    Show

If you fail, take (1d4)[2] Con damage.

Initiative:
    Spoiler
    Show

Surprise round from the bug, then it looks like it goes again, then you guys. Also, I'm not going to hand out the ability to make full attacks out to your enemies again any time soon. This is vicious.

Reglanere: (1d20+3)[4]
    Baltram: (1d20-2)[0]
    Willem: (1d20+8)[22]
    Serrha: (1d20-2)[3]
    Adrian: (1d20)[18]
    Frieda: (1d20+1)[11]
    Thrael: (1d20+7)[17]
    Wulgren: (1d20-1)[9]
    Maahes: (1d20+2)[17]
    Enemies: (1d20+13)[32]

Last edited by RFLS; 2013-07-17 at 11:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

The creature continues to tear into Wulgren, utterly shredding the dwarf's legs and back. Then, as quick as the assault happened, the creature jumps for one of the walls, blurring in your vision.

Spoiler
    Show

Critter #1:
    Spoiler
    Show

Claw: (1d20+12)[20]
    Claw: (1d20+12)[27]
    Bite: (1d20+10)[16]
    Crit Conf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Claw: (1d20+12)[16]
    Claw: (1d20+12)[26]
    Bite: (1d20+10)[25]

Claw Damage: (1d4+3)[5] + (4d6+5)[3][1][6][4](19) Sneak attack
    Claw Damage (1d4+3)[6] + (4d6+5)[3][2][5][2](17) Sneak attack
    Bite Damage: (1d6+3)[9] + (4d6+5)[3][2][5][4](19) Sneak attack

Poison DC 16 Fort save for only one hit, DC 18 on 2 or more:
    Spoiler
    Show

If you fail, take (1d4)[2] Con damage.

Skill checks for the critter:
    Spoiler
    Show

Sudden Leap: (1d20+20)[35]
    Hide: (1d20+5)[14] (hide in plain sight. If you beat this roll with a Spot check, you can see it on your turn.)

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

Maahes

Seeing the creature attempt to disappear, and uncertain of the perceptiveness of his teammates, Maahes makes a rapid incantation, and colors begin to play across his fingertips before he sends them in a burst up at the creature, hopefully dislodging it from its perch on the wall.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Color Spray. DC 16 Will save or be stunned for 1 round (pretty sure that means it will also fall; I don't think you can climb while stunned).

If it isn't within 15ft, will instead hit it with a magic missile: (1d4+1)[2]

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Threal

Moving forward, threal clearly sees the enemy on the wall with his hawk like vision. And just before getting to the creature a sudden shadow cloaks his arm and he stabs into the creature draining it's strength.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack(1d20+12)[32] damage:(1d4+7)[11] and 4 strength damage(dc 15 fort halves)

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Willem

"THERE IT IS!! I SEE IT!"

Willem curses the enemy, as his new undead minions fall upon it...

Spoiler
    Show
    Curse of Petty Failing

Zombie moves to flank
    Skeleton#1 Pounce if it can reach the bug
    Claw (1d20+12)[27]
    Claw (1d20+12)[31]
    Bite (1d20+14)[25]

Grab grapple attempt (1d20+20)[30]

Damage
    Claw (1d6+8)[10]
    Claw (1d6+8)[12]
    Bite (1d6+8)[12]

Skeleton#2 Pounce if it can reach the bug
    Claw (1d20+12)[14]
    Claw (1d20+12)[16]
    Bite (1d20+14)[27]

Grab grapple attempt (1d20+20)[31]

Damage
    Claw (1d6+8)[11]
    Claw (1d6+8)[9]
    Bite (1d6+8)[13]

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing the savage wounds that the beast has inflicted upon Wulgren, Adrian grips his staff. An expression of immense- almost indescribable- rage flashes over his face for a split second, but his calm demeanor reasserts itself so quickly that you're not even sure of what you saw. He grips his staff in one hand, pointing it towards the tendraath, and softly whispers, "To me." As he does this, you hear the same quiet rustling of leaves, and a massive plant in the shape of a bear appears in front of the tendraath, biting and clawing at it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full-round Action- Summoning a greenbound black bear, using DMM (Rapid Spell) to reduce casting time. Bear appears next to the tendraath, and full attacks:

Claws: (1d20+12)[26]
    (1d4+7)[9]
    (1d20+12)[29]
    (1d4+7)[11]
    Bite: (1d20+7)[18]
    (1d6+3)[4]
    Slam: (1d20+7)[23]
    (1d6+3)[8]

8. - Top - End - #248
    Bugbear in the Playground

Frieda

If Maahes's Color Spray doesn't work, Frieda will cast Grease (DC 16) on the wall the creature went for, hopefully catching it in the area of the spell.
    Spot: (1d20+1)[17]

If the Color Spray does work then she'll pull her crossbow and load it.
    Spoiler: Campaign Journals
    Show

Axinia: My campaign setting.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground

Reglanere:

Reglanere's nose quivers. She turns towards the creature and her eyes try to focus on it as she begins singing softly, moving her arms and feet in the dance-like fluid movement you've come to associate with her spellcasting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Scent
    Spot: (1d20+3)[9]
    Delay action until everyone has acted, and then cast inhibit.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

The Tunnels

The bug splatters under the force of the crew's attacks, not even having a chance to save itself.

Wulgren is down, bleeding heavily and all over the place. His legs are a shredded mess, and his back isn't much better. Exposed muscle ripples under the light, and some of the things you see look like his organs. The dwarf is almost done for.

Spoiler
    Show
    Again, check that the dropped 25 damage from Craven, which was a statblock goof on my part, doesn't save you. By my calculations, you should be at 2 HP.

If you're still dead with the dropped damage, then...last words =/

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Willem

Willem maintains his place high on the wall, but orders his undead to form a defensive perimeter around Wulgren, stopping any other bugs from getting to him.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Wulgren feels the bug tear into him, and poison seeps into his veins. He feels his lifeforce seeping from his body, and he wheezes his last words coughing, a look of calm disappointment on his face.

"Bugger it all, Leave me boat to me brother. Tell him I died underground fighting for our people. He'd like that"

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Serrha

Without time to do anything but gasp in surprise, Serrha drops down beside Wulgren, ready to heal him immediately. But she stops. Somewhere deep down inside, she knew that despite her best attempts, the old dwarf is on his last leg. That was a terrible pun, Serrha, she chides herself mentally, a small laugh choking out in between the tears that she finds now stream down her pearl skin. All pretenses had disappeared, and now the changeling kneels beside the captain in her original form, a plain shiftweave furled around her. "I'm sorry," she whispers, not quite sure what else to say. An immense silence envelopes her, pressing in around her, reminding her of just how fleeting life can be in the face of terrible danger. All the more reason to be strong, she thinks, some small part of her mind still fighting courageously against the despair that threatened to drown her, even though she had talked about hope and joy not moments before. Putting on a brave face for Wulgren in his final moments, Serrha stands, and brandishes her guisarme. The same fire that burned in everyone else's eyes now burns in hers as well, so much so that her eyes unconsciously become a crimson red, the rest of her skin flushing such that it appeared as if all her capillaries had rushed to the surface to experience the tragedy that had just played out before her.
    Caution: Deviance Ahead.
    Sarcasm. Sincerity. Nitpick.

14. - Top - End - #254

Frieda

Frieda isn't accustomed to death. She is clearly shaken by the dwarf's sudden demise. Her hands seem restless. She is either aggressively wringing them or trying in vain to make her hair seem neater. She starts pacing a little, looking almost like a dog unsure of where its master went. Not only is she upset that the captain is dead, she's upset that she or another member of the crew could go down just as suddenly. Whether she liked Wulgren or not, she had to admit he was one of the hardiest people she knew.

Realizing that underground in a cave full of poisonous monsters isn't the best place to think about these things, she tries to muster her resolve. Her jitteryness seems to ease. Of course, never having encountered such a dire situation, she ends up saying something massively inappropriate in a vain attempt to lift her spirits:

"Well, I-- I guess he wasn't up to the task after all! Should've stayed on the ship... where he was actually good at something" She stutters and mumbles most of the words, her eyes downcast.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Adrian puts his hand on Frieda's shoulder. When she turns to look at him, he says nothing, but simply shakes his head softly.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Willem

If anyone looks around during the mourning, they'll see Willem, busily trying to stuff the now-dead body of the bug inside his zombie's chest cavity.

The Necromancer isn't bothered by death; who'da thunk.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Orc in the Playground

Reglanere was a soldier for several years, and the loss does not wear on her as heavily as it does some of the sailors. Her head is bowed for a moment, and when she starts to speak her voice cracks, but she quickly regains composure.

Wulgren was a fine captain and a great friend to many of us. Now it lies to us to carry out his wishes, but it seems we have a choice: finish this work of clearing the island, or sail The Black Lady to his brother with all haste.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Willem

With one final heave, he lodges the dead-body inside his zombie... He rubs some of the ilk off his hands into the dirt on the ground, and then wipes the ensuing muddy-bloody mess onto the zombie itself...

Hearing Reglanere finally say something that's not pointless weeping for the dead, he turns and says, "Why on earth would one man's death stop us from doing what we came here to do? Did we not start this undertaking fully believing that ALL of us could meet such a fate? Then tell me. Why should we turn back now. We still have some queens to kill! ...probably."

And then, turning to climb back up his wall, he turns and says, "And before any of you start lugging around a dead body without the decency of making it walk itself, AT THE VERY LEAST CHECK THE BLOODY THING TO MAKE SURE MORE BUGS AREN'T GOING TO HATCH OUT OF IT!!"

He climbs up on his wall, and sets the undead back to the front, ready to march into the darkness.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Adrian narrows his eyes at Willem, then looks to the others. "As much as it pains me to admit it, Willem is correct. Wulgren's brother can wait for a bit, and we need to secure this settlement. We take the body with us, finish this, and then there will be time to grieve for the dead."

20. - Top - End - #260

Frieda

Willems words actually seem to perk Frieda back up a little. "He's right: we have unfinished business. I don't know about you guys, but killing the rest of these things sounds kind of like exactly what I need right now."
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

Adrian begins to walk forward, his limp disappearing. Shedu and his summoned beast follow behind him. "I'll take front. Someone, figure out a way to carry Wulgren's body."

Spoiler
    Show
    The greenbound bear's duration is twelve rounds (just over a minute), so there's a chance it will carry over into the next combat if it's soon enough.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Threal

Threal activates his amulet, "Yes we must move forward, we can bring his body back up on our return".

Spoiler
    Show
    1 charge used from amulet of tears
    (+12 temp health lasts 10 minutes)

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Willem

Willem lets out an audible sigh, climbs back down the wall, and begins removing the corpse he just spend several minutes wedging into the zombie...

"The... ****... I have... to... put... up...with.." he grunts as with one last tug he extracts the body.

"There, someone stick his body in there. We don't need to be wasting efficiency carrying a dead body around while we're being attacked... I WANTED to wait til we got back to the ship, but desperate times, and what not..."

He drags the bug's body a little ways from the group to avoid any... trouble... and begins laying out the supplies for his magic. A little time later, there's a new skeleton, and hopefully someone else has loaded up Wulgren's corpse.

Spoiler
    Show
    Animate Dead and Desecrate.... in case that wasn't clear.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Adrian

Adrian stops and turns around. "No. I won't be telling his brother that he died in battle, but then his body was eaten by tendraath young because we left his corpse in a tunnel. We bring him along. Willem, can you put him inside that zombie?"
    Last edited by Lateral; 2013-07-18 at 10:35 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Serrha

The changeling looks down at the dwarf, and tries to think of something she could do to pick him up. But with her lack of strength, there really wasn't much she could do. She just sighs, and pays her last respects to the late captain, and follows behind Adrian.
    Caution: Deviance Ahead.
    Sarcasm. Sincerity. Nitpick.

26. - Top - End - #266

Maahes

"These bugs aren't going anywhere. We could take care of the body, and then return to finish the job."

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

Reglanere helps load Wulgren's corpse into the zombie, then stands up straight and spins her baton. In addition to the glow that surrounded her, she has a sudden vigor that keeps her walking strong. She spins the rod again, and Adrian gains this vigor in addition to a soft glow. If there is no trouble during the next round, she switches out the wand of False Life for a wand of Shield.

That's what I hoped we would decide. Let's push forward. Mr. Adrian, would you mind walking point? Careful steps everyone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast False Life from the wand, once on me, once on Adrian. Luminous Armor should already be on me, but here's the strength penalty roll.

(1d3)[3]

Adrian's False Life: (1d10+3)[5]
    My False Life: (1d10+3)[6]

If(when) we see something, burn a wand cast of nerveskitter on Enrico.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

Adrian gives Reglanere an affirmative gesture, without turning around. He presses on, flanked by Shedu and the plant-bear.

29. - Top - End - #269

Maahes

Maahes shrugs at being ignored, and continues walking with the group, keeping an eye out for any more of these bugs.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot: (1d20+4)[20]
    Listen: (1d20+6)[24]

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Tunnel o' Looooove

The group continues down the tunnel, still pushing the wave of ever-smaller tendraath young in front of them with their lights. A few times, tendraath similar to the one that murderered Wulgren will, on being spotted, skitter quickly down the tunnel. One of them slips past the watch, undetected under a small overhang. It jumps out of its hiding spot at the first thing to go past. The skeletal tendraath turns to look at it as its smaller, living kin's claws and teeth bounce futiley against it for a second. Realizing that it's had no effect, the tendraath skitters off into the gloom, pursued by a volley of bolts and arcane energy that pin and roast it to the ground.

The tunnel begins to flatten out after a long, long time. The young tendraath fleeing from you are now as small as you've ever seen them, some of them no more than four or five inches long. Perhaps they've just hatched.

Finally, you come to an end to the tunnel. Sort of an end, anyway. The tunnel opens up into a vast underground tavern. You stand on a ledge about halfway up the side of it, a tiny point of light in the overwhelming darkness. The last of the young tendraath finish scurrying away from you as you take a second to look. The whole cavern is nearly a quarter mile in diameter, and stalactites as big as trees hang from the ceiling in places. Stalagmites below them are of similar size, and, as you look, seem to be...moving. Or, something on them is moving. When you peer a little closer, you realize that the floor of this cavern is covered in tendraath. In the center of the cavern lies a large, flat pool of black water. None of the tendraath seem to wander near it, giving a curious stillness to the area surrounding it.

The tendraath don't seem to notice your presence, or, if they do, they don't seem to care about it. After all, what harm can you do them...?

Spot, DC 20:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Estimate the number of tendraath at somewhere near five or six dozen adults. Hundreds of young cover the area.

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Serrha would have one already with her previous check about tendraath; she can share):
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is an environment very similar to what vaath prefer. While in their caverns, they're generally peaceful unless disturbed or attacked, much like many large predators, especially pack predators.

Spot, DC 25:
    Spoiler
    Show
    At one point, one of the adult tendraath approaches the pool of water in the middle, stands there facing it for nearly 20 seconds, and then returns to what it was doing.

Knowledge (Nature), DC 20:
    Spoiler
    Show
    An underground cavern such as this implies, to the academics, a volcanic region. To the practical among you, it implies gemstones.

Spot, DC 18:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here and there among the stalagmites lie bones, and, when you look closer, corpses. Some of them are still wearing armor.
    Last edited by RFLS; 2013-07-19 at 09:49 AM.