New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Random Banter #196

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    You guys said things and did like, 4 pages in 4 hours! BOOOOOOO.
    (Warning, I wanna talk about my Civ game in the 1000 AD scenario, so I am hahahaha you can't stop me)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time should freeze when I'm playing Civ as the Germans and my axis of The Holy Roman Empire (Poland and the rest of Europe, minus England and the Balkans/southern Poland, which is Byzantine, along with Central America and Peru/the old Incan Territories, and Africa except for a few Byzantine colonies, then all of old Arabia extending into Central India), the Germans (Southern United States as a colony, leader Frederick the Great), Mansa Musa (2 cities in West Africa with 4 pop, culturally half Holy Roman, a subdued shell of a once mediocre nation), Arabia in Madagascar, led by Ramasses II,) and Isabella of Scotland, because Spain was actually conquered by me and somehow they put Madrid up in Scotland before the Brits did. A recent addition, but longstanding ally, are the Mongolians, who reside in the lands between The Russian Empire and the Chinese Empire.
    For centuries, those two giants fought, with the Mongols siding with the Russians. However, When the Indians joined forces with the rest of the East Asian Alliance (Literally, the Khmer and the Koreans were protectorates of China while Tokugawa fought alongside them), I and my Austrian Elites (what happens when you put all your great generals in one city when an Imperialist leader, hehehe) followed the Spanish and Russians into India, claiming the southern cities for my own. Asoka, leader of India, fled into exile among an island in Indonesia, the sole holding of India to this day. Here, I was mostly satisfied, and having negotiated peace with the Chinese, I began to develop my African holdings.

However, the Spanish, a longstanding friend, had been spying on me, and my people rose in anger. (Cool thing about Beyond the Sword:the random event stuff are really cool sometimes. The different options of "A Spanish diplomat committed a faux pax! Do you forgive them, demand reparations, or WAR[stipend: For international relations purposes, it counts as them declaring war on YOU, so no severe diplomatic penalties). Realizing the Spanish were my next target for domination of the European continent (I had already claimed France, however they lived on in their South American colonies and territory north of the Black Sea), I invaded the Iberian peninsula and Indian holdings, while mustering my paratroopers to invade Madagascar. While Barcelona was besieged, the fight for India was severe, with their cavalry running down my infantry, but then being destroyed by arial strafing and heavy armor. I bombed Barcelona, which was culturally already 60% Roman, and Santiago fell soon after. After claiming Madagascar, Isabella and her final Scottish stronghold capitulated and became my protectorate, and my eyes fell to the Aztecs...

While I had postponed my campaign against them, my claiming of Iberia allowed superior access to Central America, and I began to send vast convoys to Mexico. Steamrolling their grenadiers, I conquered up to the Mason Dixie Line in the East but stopped in Iowa. Montezuma too, capitulated, and while the British held Canada and the Northern United States, I realized I couldn't finance this colonial holding on top of India and Africa. I then turned my American holdings (minus Hispaniola) into the German Empire. (I actually expected American, that's usually the colony I get for America. One I got for the Vikings, at least.). I also gave Madagascar independence, and it took the name of the fallen empire of Arabia and an Egyptian theme.

That's pretty much where I am now, minus the conquering of Inca (they had Infantry... I had carriers.) and tech advances. (GIANT ROBOT BUILD UP. MAKING MY SPACESHIP.):small cool: YAY RANDOM SPILLING OF THINGS YOUUYSNDNT CARE ABOUT INSTEAD OF SLEEPINGGGGGG!!!

Oh, and Tai is totally a Martian gender less beast. 6 limbs, white fluff all over the body, whole deal.
    Which Civ was that in? Ele and I play Civ III together sometimes, and I'm buying Civ V from Steam in two days on my payday (well, it's half-price, how can I -resist-!). Am also buying Crusader Kings 2 as well because it looks really good and Ele and his sister are really getting into it.

SO MANY SHINY THINGS ON STEAM I MUST HAVE

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

2. - Top - End - #512
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    How did you know by writing style?
    TAI WRITES LIKE A MAN.

Oh, wait, no. The other one.
    (The way people type just kinda... FEELS like a gender, apparently. I read Tai like a calm, super peaceful Xen-Blue Ghost kind of cheery not-quite-monotone, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Which Civ was that in? Ele and I play Civ III together sometimes, and I'm buying Civ V from Steam in two days on my payday (well, it's half-price, how can I -resist-!). Am also buying Crusader Kings 2 as well because it looks really good and Ele and his sister are really getting into it.

SO MANY SHINY THINGS ON STEAM I MUST HAVE
    It was in Civ 4, the updated Beyond the Sword 1000 AD scenario. VERY fun. Not quite a Rhys map, but awesome anyways. (A gripe however, is the general area of the Netherlands and surrounding regions. Paris is two spaces from the Holy Roman Capital, right south of Denmark. THEN, on the northern tip two spaces away, is Ribe, capital of the Scandinavians. TOO DAMN CLOSE. And because the French are French and Paris is Paris, it culturally dominates the two into tiny hamlets with no room for people. Grrrrrr.....)

I love Civ 3... Play the World was AMAZING.

If you get Civ 5... GET THE EXPANSION FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD. Improves so much.Wait... NOOO I DON'T WANNA PLAY GAMES WITH PEOPLE, IT MAKES ME BECOME SLIGHTLY SOCIAL.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2013-07-13 at 01:46 AM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wish I could remember who was going to talk about, what did he call it, grammatical gender and ask him to please do it. It might help. Especially if he can read and see what genders I read and see. Which is not what MoonCat sees.

Amidus. He is fine for talking to a man and talking about neuter of either gender. "He". You don't have to choose and you don't have to lie. And he's not asking anyone to lie which is best of all.
    I have found a RL gaming group but I'm willing to meet other GitP people nearby.
    Please send a PM or an email! _______ Tea served in a student cafe in Seattle

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Ahhh, okay. You're mysterious! You're TaiLiu then.
    I wish I were. I would wear a large cloak and go around scaring small children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yes. It moves the information from the amp to the air; and beautiful music it makes, when I play beautiful music. It also has the capacity to make discordant and erratic music.
    A most versatile instrument!
    Just fast forward and see what you end up sticking with. Save me some trouble here.
    You know what would be a better discovery? My future occupation! Now, let's see...

Oh, my. Oh, my! Future Sight off! Ah!
    You're going to make me go back and find this, aren't you? All I want to use is the correct pronoun! *sobs*

But, seriously, it bugs me that I don't know what pronoun to use. Possibly more than it should.
    Use any pronoun you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Yeah, I honestly don't care, I assumed you were female by your writing style, but it's not important. I was just posting the questions because I thought it was a funny.
    Hm. My writing style is rooted in V's speech patterns, actually. May I ask why you think this way?

5. - Top - End - #515
    Firbolg in the Playground

How did you know by writing style?
    People have voices when they write. With enough data to sample from, it's not too hard to tell what gender their voice is.

There's even computer programs that can guess it. I, natural actor and ass-liar-offer, immediately found one and gave it samples of my best attempt to sound male while talking with all gender-neutral information in the text itself. I actually managed to trick it.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

People have voices when they write. With enough data to sample from, it's not too hard to tell what gender their voice is.

There's even computer programs that can guess it. I, natural actor and ass-liar-offer, immediately found one and gave it samples of my best attempt to sound male while talking with all gender-neutral information in the text itself. I actually managed to trick it.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure anyone could tell I'm a guy from my words and it's not even just because all my pronouns default to "he" when I'm not sure.

Also passing out from lack of sleep now. Niiiight.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Impressive! You should teach us your tricks.

8. - Top - End - #518

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Hm. My writing style is rooted in V's speech patterns, actually. May I ask why you think this way?
    I wasn't actually trying to analyze for you in particular,, but whenever I thought of it, my brain and I concurred you sounded female. COuld be wrong, I didn't try and check and I didn't make any great effort. It doesn't matter to me what gender you are, as long as you don't care what pronoun I might use, then it's fine both ways.

It wasn't even a trick then, I just tried to talk as if I were male, and it worked.

Admittedly, I spend a lot of time acting, and am good at changing personas, but I have no idea how to convey the change I made.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2013-07-13 at 01:46 AM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

I wasn't actually trying to analyze for you in particular,, but whenever I thought of it, my brain and I concurred you sounded female. COuld be wrong, I didn't try and check and I didn't make any great effort. It doesn't matter to me what gender you are, as long as you don't care what pronoun I might use, then it's fine both ways.
    Excellent. This deal works fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Also passing out from lack of sleep now. Niiiight.
    Have a good respite!
    It wasn't even a trick then, I just tried to talk as if I were male, and it worked.

Admittedly, I spend a lot of time acting, and am good at changing personas, but I have no idea how to convey the change I made.
    Ah, a pity. Well, it's a very nice ability!
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2013-07-13 at 01:48 AM.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

Men tend to talk about objects, use determine nouns or words that identify and/or quantify; women tend to talk more about relation between objects rather than them on themselves, they tend to use more pronouns as well.

Try pushing a novel through it or simply trying to imagine a male character from any series speaking, or at the inverse, a female character, or just focus in what you'd think of as feminine writing and you'll fool them most of the time. I'd do the Bayesian guesstimate for this but I've become very lazy as of late, so merely saying most of the time should suffice.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2013-07-13 at 01:51 AM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    Men tend to talk about objects, use determine nouns or words that identify and/or quantify; women tend to talk more about relation between objects rather than them on themselves, they tend to use more pronouns as well.

Try pushing a novel through it or simply trying to imagine a male character from any series speaking, or at the inverse, a female character, or just focus in what you'd think of as feminine writing and you'll fool them most of the time. I'd do the Bayesian guesstimate for this but I've become very lazy as of late, so merely saying most of the time should suffice.
    Ah, fascinating! Are these your personal observations?

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. That. Wow. I am impressed with how good a liar you are.

13. - Top - End - #523

TaiLiu is a good neuter voice. Better than Vaarsuvius. But even neuter voices start at male. I listened to whether you were female neuter or not. You weren't. So you were male neuter. Female neuters have to do more work to cover up that they are female and that they are different from standard because thinking you are standard is male. You didn't need to do that cover up work and you didn't do it. So. Male.

This is not the way a computer thinks. Computers count grammar like araveugnitsuga said.

And neuter is not a lie. Nobody starts at neuter. It is a goal. So if you speak neuter it's OK to say "the speaker is not there yet but is trying to be". It's OK to say that while speaking it. It's OK to say that while listening to it too.
    I have found a RL gaming group but I'm willing to meet other GitP people nearby.

14. - Top - End - #524

Wow. That. Wow. I am impressed with how good a liar you are.
    I tend to lie without even thinking about it. I got practiced.

Also, hiding my age from everyone on the forum for three years? Fricking hilarious.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, fascinating! Are these your personal observations?
    No, I'm merely summarising some observations from the studies upon which this kind software tends to be based on (some can be pretty good, some can be extremely erratic, some can be consistent but bad) which was an analysis of each gender's speech patterns and seeing what words were weighted towards which gender and with how much weight.

My personal observations differ heavily, and they probably should; my environment is not that same as that used in those studies. My population samples are obviously with a massive bias.

And it tends to be erratic in terms of one another try running a sample through three of them and get three different results; over time one will probably be better at guessing but their success rate is probably not that which they claim.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2013-07-13 at 02:13 AM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taet View Post
    TaiLiu is a good neuter voice. Better than Vaarsuvius. But even neuter voices start at male. I listened to whether you were female neuter or not. You weren't. So you were male neuter. Female neuters have to do more work to cover up that they are female and that they are different from standard because thinking you are standard is male. You didn't need to do that cover up work and you didn't do it. So. Male.
    Ah; I see.
    It's a problem for me, too. How do you deal with it?
    Also, hiding my age from everyone on the forum for three years? Fricking hilarious.
    Until 2013?

No, I'm merely summarising some observations from the studies upon which this kind software tends to be based on (some can be pretty good, some can be extremely erratic, some can be consistent but bad) which was an analysis of each gender's speech patterns and seeing what words were weighted towards which gender and with how much weight.

My personal observations differ heavily, and they probably should; my environment is not that same as that used in those studies. My population samples are obviously with a massive bias.

And it tends to be erratic in terms of one another try running a sample through three of them and get three different results; over time one will probably be better at guessing but their success rate is probably not that which they claim.
    Ah.
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2013-07-13 at 02:14 AM.

17. - Top - End - #527

It's a problem for me, too. How do you deal with it?

Until 2013?
    Typically, I notice right after I've lied to someone for no reason and then swear at myself in my head. Then I move on.

Yeah, this April. I was going to do it on my birthday, but I got a bit swept up in ignoring my birthday thread as a personal affront, and then I had to go to a state competition for trivia game,s and then when I got back it was, like, days later and I was tired.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ettin in the Playground

Typically, I notice right after I've lied to someone for no reason and then swear at myself in my head. Then I move on.

Yeah, this April. I was going to do it on my birthday, but I got a bit swept up in ignoring my birthday thread as a personal affront, and then I had to go to a state competition for trivia game,s and then when I got back it was, like, days later and I was tired.
    You slipped before 2013 actually, around the same time as Sheep did back when there was a chat and people approval of it looked like a sine function over time.

19. - Top - End - #529

You slipped before 2013 actually, around the same time as Sheep did back when there was a chat and people approval of it looked like a sine function over time.
    That wasn't a slip, I told various people privately beforehand, and the chat did hear at one point, but everything was intentional.

Also, like, everyone in the chat at the time knew already. Kinda funny.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah? Dare I ask your age?

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ettin in the Playground

That wasn't a slip, I told various people privately beforehand, and the chat did hear at one point, but everything was intentional.

By then the chat was mostly the wholeness of RB though so I believe it disqualifies the idea of no mention of it; considering most people ages are derived from them intentionally saying them anyway; those that don't outright have them on their date of birth have mentioned it at some point in the forum.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Ah.
    Huh. I misremembered, then; I thought it was earlier.

Huh. What is this 'chat' you speak of?

23. - Top - End - #533

It would be fun to try to list you all by age. Maybe tomorrow. Goodnight.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

Sit down young child, for this was a tale of long long ago.

Back in some day, when I still took my meds, and life was great,
    Blue was amongst us; Skeppio as well,
    the Troll had no girlfriend and was around more often
    We used to have this place called the chat

It was not good or evil
    merely strange
    People would post much faster than they do here
    at the cost of all of our sanities

Sure there were trolls
    which did horrible things
    and sometimes people went out in rage
    without hearing the whole of it

but it was merrier times
    which had to end as people fought
    because without restrain
    stuff like we shouldn't talk about
    came around

and at the end of the day
    many people were hurt
    bad images were conjured
    and nobody really knows
    or wants to know how it all came to an end.

Mutant Sheep I believe made a chat room at some server I can't care to remember; people from the RB started to gather there due to speed. But due to lack of moderation and presence of a particularly nasty troll and people posting outright pornography things started to go downhill.

Then there was fighting about what the chat was meant to be and some people left and some remained and then those that remained went away and others came back, and it happened periodically for a while.

Until then it degenerated horribly and finally died.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2013-07-13 at 02:36 AM.

25. - Top - End - #535

Ah? Dare I ask your age?
    15. Nine years younger than you, my cradle-robbing fiancee of extreme emotional depth.

By then the chat was mostly the wholeness of RB though so I believe it disqualifies the idea of no mention of it; considering most people ages are derived from them intentionally saying them anyway; those that don't outright have them on their date of birth have mentioned it at some point in the forum.
    Wasn't. At the time, it was you, me, Skeeps, Blue, Mutant, Trolland like one other dude I can't remember. You and Mutant and Skeeps and Blue already knew and had individually been sworn to secrecy. I just never bothered to tell you guys who knew already.

An old chatroom off of the forum called playground.beta. We tlaked there and it was faster, mainly an extension of RB.

It was not good or evil
    merely strange

Sure there were trolls

but it was merrier times
    because without restrain
    came around

many people were hurt
    bad images were conjured
    and nobody really knows
    HAHAHAHA THIS IS BRILLIANT.

Oh god, remember coward?

And it ended shortly after I stormed out, as I recall c. kept spamming and then AT tried to switch to a different chat site, and that failed and it all petered out.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2013-07-13 at 02:39 AM.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taet View Post
    It would be fun to try to list you all by age. Maybe tomorrow. Goodnight.
    Have a good night!

It was not good or evil
    merely strange

Sure there were trolls

but it was merrier times
    because without restrain
    came around

many people were hurt
    bad images were conjured
    and nobody really knows

Mutant Sheep I believe made a chat room at some server I can't care to remember; people from the RB started to gather there due to speed. But due to lack of moderation and presence of a particularly nasty troll and people posting outright pornography things started to go downhill.

Then there was fighting about what the chat was meant to be and some people left and some remained and then those that remained went away and others came back, and it happened periodically for a while.

Until then it degenerated horribly and finally died.
    Well, that's depressing. Interesting history, though.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Colossus in the Playground

15. Nine years younger than you, my cradle-robbing fiancee of extreme emotional depth.
    Hey now, you're mine and mine alone Moony *glomps!*

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Wasn't. At the time, it was you, me, Skeeps, Blue, Mutant, Trolland like one other dude I can't remember. You and Mutant and Skeeps and Blue already knew and had individually been sworn to secrecy. I just never bothered to tell you guys who knew already.

An old chatroom off of the forum called playground.beta. We tlaked there and it was faster, mainly an extension of RB.

HAHAHAHA THIS IS BRILLIANT.

Oh god, remember coward?

And it ended shortly after I stormed out, as I recall c. kept spamming and then AT tried to switch to a different chat site, and that failed and it all petered out.
    And you were JUST telling me about this chat, Moony. Wow. That is so strange. This person definitely sounds like who I was talking about. I do believe your troll is still here.

15? Wow. I expected you to be much older. I suck at telling ages. Aw, and there I was thinking I had a chance. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!

29. - Top - End - #539

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Hey now, you're mine and mine alone Moony *glomps!*
    Yes. Despite the fact that you're "losing" me, you're still certain of this.

I'm kidding, you know I wuv you. <cuddles>
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #540
    Colossus in the Playground

Yes. Despite the fact that you're "losing" me, you're still certain of this.

I'm kidding, you know I wuv you. <cuddles>
    Well I know I'm not losing you but I get worried sometimes since I'm super attached to my friends!

Thanks though *cuddles*