New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Annals of the Azlanti [DMOOCH]

This is where I, the DM, use a thread entirely devoted to tracking battle conditions or other special issues concerning my Shattered Star campaign.

The door is opened.

This twenty-foot square domed chamber contains a jury-rigged pair of low operating tables, complete with leather straps at both ends to hold the patients down.

Standing right in front of the doorway when it is opened is a creature with a terrible reek. It is a hideous patchwork made of equal parts troglodyte, duergar, giant spider, and giant rat, but with the lolling head of a half-shaved dwarf bearing a gaping trepanation to the side of its skull. It is alone.

Round One ...

R1T26: Ichibod is sickened by the smell, and thrown off by it, but he does recognize this creature.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a carrion golem, a construct. Constructs are animated materials, and in this case it is an animated group of dead parts of other animals. Carrion golems are the "poor man's flesh golem," the latter of which is a far more powerful monster. Constructs are normally mindless and can't be fooled by any magics which affect the mind, and they are immune to a vast array of physical attacks as well. They do not need to eat, breathe, or sleep.

Constructs have no strength of mind that steels their body, no living animation in that regard. Still, they are very tough, tougher the bigger they get. They are designed to guard or attack and thus are very capable combatants.

As with many golems, carrion golems are resistant to weapons and nearly impervious to most magics.

Ichibod, you are "sickened." What do you do?

Paxre on deck, The Scribe in the hole.

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ichibod: 26. Sickened.
    Paxre: 22.
    The Scribe: 19.
    Natalya: 17.
    Bessel: 16.
    Clacky: 15.9.
    Carrion Golem: 15.
    Dorit: 8.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-01-13 at 10:59 AM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Annals of the Azlanti

Round One ...

R1T26: "It's a carrion golem!" Ichibod warns. "Watch yourselves. It is tough as hell and nearly immune to magic!"

Ichibod blasts it with a frost ray before diving behind the staircase. The force of the blast does nothing, as does the initial burst of cold. However, bits of the various pieces of patchwork corpses freeze and stiffen where they meet.

R1T22: Paxre, knows jack about constructs, other than what has been learned about Clacky. But "tough as hell" and "nearly immune to magic" is still pretty darn usefull information. Not sure if its bizarre physiognomy is vulnerable in areas or not, Paxre calls upon mystical training and martial skill to begin slashing the opponent to pieces while he blocks out the stench of the monster.
    The first katana misses entirely as Paxre had to slightly duck Ichibod's spell. His first claw contacts for 11 damage, and the second one misses entirely in sacrificing for the first. His second slash with the katana smacks against overlapping pieces of flesh. It seems that as tough as they're supposed to be, and despite being walking objects, they still have "sweet spots" for the first strike.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Remember, Paxre's position was shifted post-Ichibod slaughter to take front-line with Dorit as first striker.
    FAA: Katana, claw, claw, and spending 1 ki for another katana attack.

R1T19: "Wow," Speckled Antelope shrugs wearily as the stench overcomes him. "You actually stumped me on that one, Ichibod. And here I thought it was some bizarre amalgam undead."

"Good first blood, Paxre, and amazing flurry. It also tells me that it isn't invulnerable to a well-placed blow like this..." he says as his ranseur goes right at its 'heart.' But with the stench filling his lungs, he doesn't quite have the power to push it through.

And subsequently, he looks like a jackass for his braggadocio.

R1T17: Natalya, you are in the second rank behind Dorit. There's no room to tumble around the "Carry-On Golem" (though this is one thing you'd rather have in checked baggage. The only thing you could do actively is to tumble through its square to get behind it on the other side to flank, or to cast a spell. The first would be incredibly tough, but would be epic if you succeeded .... then again, you are a thief-acrobat. Then it hits you ... the reek is terrible and might just throw off your balance as you are sickened by the smell.

What do you do?

Bessel, you told Clacky to ready his nets, but really no other stimulus. Like a summoned creature, you can direct him first and then take your turn ... or vice-versa. Be thinking about that while Natalya acts.

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show

Ichibod: 26. Sickened. Possible party foul.
    Paxre: 22.
    The Scribe: 19. Sickened.
    Natalya: 17. Sickened.
    Carrion Golem: 15. Slowed until R9T26.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

R1T17: "Well, if casting on it doesn't help much how about this!" And with that, Natalya casts grease on the floor under the golem.

The good news is that the golem turns out to be just as prone to environmental effects as anyone else, as it falls to the ground.

The bad news is that the area under the golem ... aka, the epicenter ... flows out to include being under Dorit's and Paxre's feet. No matter, though. Dorit's warrior balance and bulk sets her well, whereas Paxre simply stands - totally nonplussed.

R1T16: Bessel/ Clacky?

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show

Ichibod: 26. Sickened. Possible party foul.
    Paxre: 22. Grease.
    Carrion Golem: 15. Slowed until R9T26. PRONE!!! Greased.
    Dorit: 8. Grease.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

R1T16: Bessel assesses the battle and emphatically orders to Clacky: "Clacky: SLAM the 'Laying-Down Thing'. If it gets up, NET it."

R1T15.9: Clacky tries to obey the order outright, but there are a number of obstructions it needs to move past in order to get to its target. The allies let it pass and its weight and stability help it from losing its footing. It steps over to the other side of the golem and brings a double-fist down on the golem for 8 damage.

It is now the battle of the golems!

R1T15.8: Meanwhile, Bessel takes a targeted admixture.[I/]

R1T15: The carrion golem manages to find purchase and stand, giving Speckled, Paxre, and Clacky AOOs. Clacky whallops it for 8 damage, Paxre gives a nasty cut for 16 damage, and The Scribe makes up for his humiliating beginning by piercing it with his ranseur for 9 mod damage. Until now, weapon attacks seemed to have been just fine. It seems, however, that Speckled's weapon, in addition to his being thrown off by the thing's stench, was lacking in power in getting to punch through, despite doing acceptable damage otherwise.

R1T8: Dorit, you now stand faces-to-face with this nasty thing. There is also a slick covering on the floor. What do you do?

Ichibod on deck, Paxre in the hole, followed by Natalya ...

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show

Clacky: 15.9. Greased.
    Bessel: 16. Targeted admixture.
    Carrion Golem: 15. (19:60). Slowed until R9T26. Greased.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-07-18 at 05:17 PM.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

R1T22: Again, before Paxre's great reflexes can muster, there is an ilk of darkness that washes the room.

R1T21: Paxre takes swing at the thing with his katana, missing. A claw, however, digs brutally through it to crit for 8 damage while the other claw misses as he shouts, "Hey, guys! There's some creepy flying thing in here!"

I/S
    Darkmantle: 22. (16:24).
    Paxre: 21.

Clacky: 15.9. Greased.
    Bessel: 16. Targeted admixture.
    Carrion Golem: 15. (19:60). Slowed until R9T26. Greased.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

R1T25: Ichibod shouts back "I'm sure you can handle it, or would you like me to try and put it to sleep?' while readying a spell."

Paxre answers, "I nipped it pretty good, but now even my eyes have trouble seeing in some effect that is like ink. It's little, flies around, and is like an octopus that just filled the air with that stuff. A hand would be nice ... y'know, for backup."

Ichibod, do you do anything?

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show

Ichibod: 25.
    The Scribe: 23.
    Clacky: 23. Delaying.
    Bessel: 18.
    Dorit: 17.
    Natalya: 14.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-08-01 at 06:08 PM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

R1T25: Ichibod continues to shout, "Paxre, try drawing it out so we can see it!"

Ichibod readies his last magic missile to blast any enemy chasing behind Paxre.

R1T23: The Scribe delays.

R1T22.9: Clacky delays for orders.

R1T22: The creature smacks Paxre for 4 damage and holds him fast and constricts him for another 6 damage. Paxre's entire upper body is held.

R1T21: Paxre yells, "Help! Help! This think is squeezing me! *Cough, cough*"

R1T18: Bessel, what do you do?

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show

Ichibod: 25. READIED ACTION!
    The Scribe: 23. Delaying.
    Clacky: 22.9. Delaying.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

R1T18: "Clacky, follow me!"

Bessel runs down the hallway towards Paxre's voice, pistol drawn, and Clacky follows. It takes the two of them a double move to get there, but he sees an area of murky darkness that even his own darkvision cannot fully overcome. He sees some general mass in the darkness thrashing about, but can't make it out.

The Scribe says, "Well, here we go. Paxre is the perfect enemy detection scout. Natalya, when you're ready. You have the torch."

R1T17: Dorit, what do you do?

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show

Clacky: 18.9.
    The Scribe: 18.8. Delaying.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

R1T17: Dorit goes to follow Bessel, weapon in hand, intent on protecting her party. But as she turns the corner down the hall, she has to trace the wall more slowly with her weapon. She still manages to bump into Clacky, but she's in darkness now.

R1T14: Natalya, The Scribe is waiting for you to go down with the torch. What do you do? I assume with the torch you have the mithral shortsword in hand.

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show

The Scribe: 18.8. Delaying.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

R1T14: Natalya follows the others, torch in hand and ready to cast mirror image if there's an enemy in the room. The torch sputters and goes dark, creating only a soft glow around itself, but now the room is dimly lit before lighting up this cross-passageway to normal light. Bessel and Paxre see just fine, but not because their darkvision didn't work. [The former just didn't have his bearings yet, and the latter had trouble seeing the two stealth-mongers.

Paxre seems to be mixed up by some type of pure black creature wrapped around his pure black clothing. If Natalya considers Paxre an enemy, then she just might have cast this spell anyway. She casts her spell, and she senses that she strikes gold as the maximum images (5) whirl around an in and through her. There are now six-ish Natalya Vancaskerkins.

Now that everyone can see this fleshy, octopoidal web constricting Paxre...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Natalya: This squid-like dark-skinned creature is a darkmantle, a subterranian predator that attacks by dropping onto its prey. It is a magical beast (q.v.).
    The Scribe:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As above, plus - Though small creatures, darkmantles are strong for their size, and make natural grapplers due to their tentacles and cloak-like skin. Typically attacking by dropping from above, a darkmantle that misses will usually fly back up to the roof of its chamber and try again.

Bessel:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As above, plus - As well as having a natural camouflage that allows them to hide easily in underground caverns, darkmantles can also cause darkness once per day. Darkmantles see easily through this magical darkness through the use of bat-like sonar, though this can be disrupted by the use of the silence spell. This would probably understand why Paxre's great stealth was of no use to him.

R1T13: The Scribe immediately follows behind and he stands next to Bessel. The Scribe and Bessel are now on the front line, followed by Clacky and Dorit, then Natalya. Ichibod is back the way you came.

"Perhaps," says the Scribe, "bombs would be a bad idea with Paxre in its grip. I don't think even your excellent bombardier skill can help. Of course, the way Paxre acted recently...."

End Round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T25: Ichibod, you handily played clearance breech to let the others bye, but now that there in you only see light around the corner. What do you do?

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show

Natalya: 14. Mirror image (5).
    The Scribe: 13.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-08-07 at 08:10 PM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

R2T25: [U]Ichibod moves and nails the things with two magic missiles for no more than 6 force damage. It seems its spongy nature must minimize force.Or your crappy rolls have too be explained as something other than, well, crappy rolls.[/roll]

R2T22: The darkmantle continues to constrict Paxre for 5 damage.

R2T21: Paxre uses the pressing motion of the darkmantle, despite the pain, to "pop" himself. He stands on the opposite side of Speckled to flank.

R2T18/.9: Bessel, you are next to The Scribe on the front ranks, Clacky is directly behind you, and you ended up (with Specks) face-2-face with this thing. What do you do?

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show

Darkmantle: 22. (10:24).
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

R2T18/.9: Bessel takes a giant comedic step backward, keeping his eyes on this blasphemous mantle of darkness. He raises his pistol.

"You are one hideous spawn of-"

His finger squeezes. The pistol fires. The bullet hits. The darkspawn takes a solid 5 damage.

His shot fired, he calls back to the automaton, pistol still pointed at the darkmantle. "Clacky, net it!"

"THUMP!" and a net goes sailing, but Paxre wants no part of that and he forces himself and his opponent low as the net goes over head.

R2T17: Dorit, fancy guns and magic missiles and nets aren't working. What do you do?

Natalya on deck, The Scribe in the hole ...

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show

Ichibod: 25.
    Darkmantle: 22. (5:24).
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Marching Order, N>S:
    Dorit + Paxre
    Speckled
    Hulya + Fenster
    Bessel + Clacky
    Ichibod + Natalya

This means that the backline is actually the front line. It is a 10-foot-wide bridge, so only two persons can stand side-by-side, and everyone is considered adjacent.

R1T22:Lockerbie closes 10' and bites at Ichibod, but misses. It is assumed that Ichibod has his bow out, and Natalya has out her crossbow. Ichibod is face-to-face with it. And Natalya's fwd-R-quarter.

R1T19: Paxre surrounds himself in a strange ink of darkness and darts in front of Natalya so that the ghoul is now surrounded to front, front-R, and R. Brast bites at him as he moves into place, but he can't get at the bouncing ball of blackness.

R1T16: Ichibod, relative positions. N=Lockerbie; NE>SE=water; S=Bessel; SW=Clacky; W=Natalya; NW = Paxre. Normally, shooting at an adjacent target provokes an AOO, but Paxre did just give you an opening when Lockerbie bit at him. What do you do?

Bessel on deck, Natalya in the hole.

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lockerbie: 22. (:63). Page 52. Will flee at 17 hps or less.
    Paxre: 19.
    Ichibod: 16.
    Natalya: 15.9.
    Dorit: 15.
    Scribe: 12.
    Fenster: 11. Page 16.
    Clacky: 9.
    Rezah: 7.
    Hulya: Base 6.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

R1T17: "Big Green, stand down!" shouts Ichibod. "The Captain may be of aid, and his request is reasonable!"

Ichibod realizes that there is nowhere to make a simple step back, so he withdraws all the way to stand by the Scribe.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had to work with the desire to move away, and a withdrawal (a full round action that provokes no AOO from moving out of the first square) to a safe archer's position in the group was the best I could think of for this request.

Also, initiative was already rolled. I forgot that you and Bessel actually had the same init, so I changed yours to T17 since I already had you go.

Please put your speech in quotes. Thank you.

R1T16: Bessel shouts to Clacky, "Net the ghoul!"

He turns his voice to the half-orc. "We need his information! You can save your prejudices for later!"

Does Bessel do anything, or does he delay or ready? [This is the first time Clacky's initiative wasn't faster than Bessel's, so Clacky doesn't respond immediately on command.]

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lockerbie: 22. (55:63). Page 52. Will flee at 17 hps or less.
    Ichibod: 17.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-08-23 at 10:37 AM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Spoiler
    Show
    CORR: Ichibod is in the back next to Dorit.

R1T16: Bessel holds fast, waiting to see if Clack's net can subdue Lockerbie. The ghoul's knowledge about the further dangers in the Crow, combined with the insane ramblings of Atalatia about her mistress, seem to encourage caution over rashness.

R1T15.9: Natalya, what do you do?

Dorit on deck, followed by the Scribe ...

Positions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dorit + Ichibod
    Speckled + Hulya
    Fenster + Rezah
    Bessel + Clacky
    Empty + Natalya
    Lockerbie + Paxre

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bessel: 16. DELAYING!
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

R1T15.9: Natalya not sure if reason or violence will win out here, decides to take a five foot step back and cast mirror image. It seems like the safe option. She realizes that a safe step would be a wet one. With nowhere else to go, Natalya once again warily casts her most powerful magic. The air in her area goes blurry as images of her doing exactly as she does shift and shimmer in and out and around and through each other, confounding anyone at trying to look right at her, as if you are seeing triple. (3 images).

R1T15-11.9: "Excuse me, Antelope," says Dorit, and she and Speckled time it so that he backs up and guards the back end and Ichibod, and Dorit can step up to restrain the half-orc. As Speckled steps back, he pulls Hulya to the side so Dorit doesn't have to reach across her.

Jolly Green, you get grabbed from behind by Dorit in her plate armor. She only has you with one hand, but the shield helps brace and .... Zounds! she's powerful.

R1T11: "Hey, bubs!" Fenster says with a drooling snarl. "'ere's one not done in by yer rottin' stink!"

He spryly pops over Bessel and tries to grab at Lockerbie, the former's hands held in open palm but with fingers at each hand pressed together, bent at knuckles, and looks like a cross between an open palm and a claw. His bizarre grab attempt fails.

Paxre looks on amused at the street swine with a mixture of confusion, amusement, and admiration. "Tiger Style. Who knew? Then again, you just proved how ineffective it is."

R1T9: (Assuming Paxre pointed at Lockerbie, as constructs don't know from ghouls or girls, which would not have done, considering the natch '20' on its role...) Clacky fires a net from its launcher which plops perfectly onto Lockerbie.

R1T7: Jolly Green, while you were not unaware of the two behind you, they both moved with excellent teamwork, and her fantastic speed and strength have you grappled. She has you bearhugged from behind, and despite her unbelievable strength, and a mass that surprisingly exceeds your own with pure brawn, this blonde-haired, blue-eyed beauty must be a terror against real enemies.What do you do?

Positions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Speckled + Ichibod
    Hulya + Dorit***
    Empty + JollyGreen***
    Bessel + Clacky
    Fenster + Natalya
    Lockerbie + Paxre

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show
    * Netted by Rezah.
    Natalya: 15.9. Mirror image: 3 images.
    Dorit: 11.9. Grappling Rezah.
    Rezah: 7. Grappled by Dorit.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

R2T17: IC hits the Captain with a blast of good old Disrupt Undead and yells "Captain Brast, stand down or I'll blast you right to the demon realms!!"

The cantrip only grazes him along the lower left jawline for 3 PE damage, equal parts necromancy, training, and magical force.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The spell, PBS (which I added in, because it is a weapon-like spell), and your Havoc of the Society trait.

"Stand down?! You're the ones who started what wasn't necessary, but I will finish it!"

It is obvious that with the fire and other damage he's sustained, Lockerbie's ghoulish body is showing signs of more than just pustulated decomposition.

R2T16: Bessel, you delayed for the full round to get measure of the situation, but it's back around to you. What do you do?

Natalya on deck, The Scribe in the hole ...

Positions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hulya
    Speckled + Ichibod

DimGray + Dorit/ JollyGreen***
    Bessel + Clacky
    Fenster + Natalya
    Lockerbie

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lockerbie: 22. (27:63). Page 52. Will flee at 17 hps or less.
    * Only the 3d6 fireball remaining on his necklace of fireballs I.
    Fenster: 11. (8:33). Page 16.
    Clacky: 9. (20:20). Nets (4).
    Hulya: 6.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-08-25 at 07:52 AM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

R2T16: Bessel mixes the formula too quickly. The components for the formula were already too heated from the fireblast two seconds ago, and the pain from that blast numbed Bessel's nerve endings briefly. He lifts the vial above his head and slightly back, but his burned fingers don't quite measure the strength of the container well and he breaks it.
    "FA-WHOOM!"
    It is significantly less powerful as the conflagration from the bead Lockerbie threw, but it is dangerous in its own. It is followed by a lesser flame sound and a "Zap-Pop!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bessel: Despite critical, only 8 fire damage. But the blast of fame sets off the alchemist's fire and shatters the bottled lightning in his backpack. He takes another 5 fire and 2 electricity damage. Bessel is now in the yellow.
    Dorit: 10 fire + 1 sonic. Dorit is now in the yellow.
    Jolly Green: 6 fire + 1 sonic.
    Clacky: 11 fire + 1 sonic . Clacky is very badly damaged.
    Fenster: 11 fire + 1 sonic . Fenster drops.
    Natalya: Moves so brilliantly so as to only take 1 fire.
    Bessel is now on fire, in the yellow, and probably squeak-screaming. Dorit is also in the yelow. Fenster screams in pain and falls. Clacky is critically damaged.

R2T15.9: Natalya, you are suffering some strong wounds, though not at yellow yet. Things just wet terribly, terribly wrong. Fenster, beside you, has fallen. Lockerbie is adjacent to you. What do you do?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not that it matters, but you may stand over a fallen body without worries about occupied space. I don't see why you would, though.

"Dorit!" cries the Scribe. "We are in the thick. Let the half-orc go!"

The Scribe is on deck, and Dorit is in the hole ... (P.S.: It is a free action to release a grapple.)

Positions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hulya
    Speckled + Ichibod

DimGray + Dorit/ JollyGreen***
    Bessel + Clacky
    Fenster + Natalya
    Lockerbie

!Paxre!

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bessel: 16. ON FIRE!
    Fenster: 11. (-5:33). Page 16. DYING!!!
    Clacky: 9. (9:40). Nets (4).
    * NOQUAL KEY CONTROLLING BESSEL IS DESTROYED! BERSERK!!!
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

R2T15.9: Natalya's mind races, she sees that other bead and she does not want him to use it. Natalya goes for a tanglefoot bag, opening herself up to an attack. Lockerbie's jaws snap in, but Natalya's magic saves her as an image is taken away. That should be it, and she should be able to throw it just fine, but as she does so she is shocked by the ghoul's preternatural reflexes as he swings a claw at her hand to try to knock it away; even in that regard, such a move would open him up, but he seems to be crafty in his movements to disarm. This time, however, he simply misses, and Natalya still has one image remaining.

Natalya throws the bag at Lockerbie, which lands over him and even gets him stuck to the floor. Even that won't entirely stop him, and she gets ready to drop into the water if he goes for the other bead.

R2T12: Speckled moves forth to Bessel and readies an aid to help him put out the fire.

R2T11.9: Dorit, you are grappling Jolly Green, you are badly wounded, and Speckled asked you to let him go. What do you do?

Clacky on deck, Jolly Green in the hole ...

Positions
    Spoiler
    Show

xxxxx + Ichibod

The Scribe + Dorit/ JollyGreen***
    Bessel + Clacky
    Fenster + Natalya
    Lockerbie

!Paxre!

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show
    * Tangled by tanglefoot bag: -2 attack rolls, -4 DEX
    Natalya: 15.9. Mirror image: 1 image.
    Scribe: 12. READIED TO AID BESSEL TO PUT OUT FIRE!!!
    Fenster: 11. (-5:33). Page 16. DYING!!!
    Clacky: 9. (9:40). Nets (4).
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

R2T11.9: "Clearly, it's not me who's the idiot," Dorit hisses as she roughly releases the Half-Orc, the entire situation sending her into a fury.

She spits and gnashes her teeth on her shield in a foaming fury and bursts to stand over Fenster's body. But the movement and having to be careful over Fenster keeps her from landing her blow as the shield clacks off of Lockerbie's studded leather, even with his being entangled.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yup, even when applying barbarian rage to your shield.

R2T9: Clacky begins the self repair process for FH2. (That means fast healing 2, Tickle.) Clacky then shocks Bessel as one of its mechanical arms swings at its master with full force. Even on fire, survival instinct takes over and Bessel ducks well low of the swing.

R2T7: Jolly Green, you are unarmed and unarmored. There are many, many wounded on the field (one even dying, but he is a loathesome and base creature). On the other hand, the dangerous ghoul is still standing, despite damage beginning to show one him.

What do you do?

Lockerbrie Brast on deck, Paxre (wherever he is) in the hole ...

Positions
    Spoiler
    Show

xxxxx + Ichibod

The Scribe + JollyGreen
    Bessel + Clacky
    Dorit/ Fenster + Natalya
    Lockerbie

!Paxre!

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show
    * Tangled by tanglefoot bag: -2 attack rolls, -4 DEX.
    Dorit: 11.9. Barbarian Rage til end R9T11.9.
    Fenster: 11. (-6:33). Page 16. DYING!!!
    Clacky: 9. (7:40). Nets (4).
    Jolly Green: 7.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

R2T7: Jolly retrieves the sword resting at his feet, etter in his hands than potentially lost to the water or the ghoul. Then, acutely aware of the dire situation unfolding around him. he closes his eyes and searches deep within himself. Focusing on that fire deep inside him that had originally blasted the Ghoul, he pleads, "If I am your child, Sarenrae, hear my prayers now..." Rezah utters to himself, almost inaudibly.

A blast of positive energy bursts out as before, but something is different this time. It is less dramatic, softer, and soothing. While having no effect on the ghoul, healing power courses through everyone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bessel: 5 PE healing.
    Dorit: 6 PE healing.
    Fenster: 7 PE healing.
    Ichibod: 7 PE healing.
    Natalya: 5 PE healing.
    The Scribe: 7 PE healing.
    Jolly, himself: 10 PE healing.
    Fenster is now conscious, barely ...

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T22: Lockerbie pops off the last and smaller bead, and then goes to throw it, being wary of defense. He creates an opening and Dorit misses with her shield, and Natalya with her short sword. This time the bead erupts at Ichibod's feat. The burst of flame is strong, but not nearly like the first.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bessel: Save for 6 fire damage.
    Dorit: Save for 2 fire damage.
    Fenster: Saves, rolling on ground, for 10 fire damage, but stilll goes unconscious again.
    Ichibod: Save for 8 fire damage.
    Natalya: Evades, no damage.
    The Scribe: Evades, no damage.
    Jolly, himself: Saves with divine grace for 5 fire damage.
    Clacky: Fails for 12 fire damage.
    Bessel is still on fire. Fenster is down again. Bessel and Dorit's wounds are once again growing.

And Clacky? Clacky erupts and explodes with flying metal and gears, and the main hulk of the destroyed clockwork servant falls into the water.

R3T19: Paxre, surrounded again in his cloak of darkness, appears behind Lockerbie, cutting at him while flanking with Dorit. Paxre's surprise and flank inflicts 11 damage, a brutal strike that is taking a toll on the ghoul. Two claw attacks by Paxre miss. Paxre then goes invisible again.

R3T17: Ichibod, what do you do?

Bessel (on fire with Speckled ready to put him out) on deck, Natalya in the hole ...

Positions
    Spoiler
    Show

xxxxx + Ichibod

The Scribe + JollyGreen
    Bessel + Clacky
    Dorit/ Fenster + Natalya
    Lockerbie
    !Paxre!

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lockerbie: 22. (16:63). Page 52. CE1.
    * Will flee at 17 hps or lesss.
    Fenster: 11. (-9:33). Page 16.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

R3T17: "So be it!" yells Ichibod while firing another blast of energy at the Captain for 5 PE damage.

R3T16: Bessel, you are currently on fire and Speckled is standing by to aid you in putting it out.

Scribe readied, Natalya on deck, Dorit in the hole ...

Positions
    Spoiler
    Show

xxxxx + Ichibod

The Scribe + JollyGreen
    Bessel + Clacky
    Dorit/ Fenster + Natalya
    Lockerbie
    !Paxre!

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lockerbie: 22. (11:63). Page 52. CE1.
    Fenster: 11. (-9:33). Page 16.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-08-26 at 09:11 AM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

R3T16: Bessel, crazed and on fire, screams, "CLACKY, NO!"

He whirls to the ghoul, draws his pistol, and pulls the trigger. Staring dumbfounded at his second horrible miscalculation of the last minute, and burning more and more. He takes 6 fire damage by not trying to put out the flame as the gunpowder erupts in his hand, destroying his pistol and causing 5 shrapnel damage. The shrapnel also blasts toward everyone else in his immediate area: Scribe (evades), Jolly (fails, 2), Dorit (fails, 5), Fenster (if alive, he takes 5), Natalya (evades).

Bessel topples over the side of the bridge into the water after his automaton. He is barely conscious, and though the fire dies out, he did a full dive into the water after Clacky.

R3T15.95: The Scribe takes out a potion, passes by Jolly, and jumps into the water after Bessel.

R3T15.9: Natalya, what do you do?

Dorit on deck, Jolly in the hole ...

Positions
    Spoiler
    Show

xxxxx + Ichibod
    xxxx + xxxx
    xxxx + JollyGreen + Speckled (water)
    xxxx + xxxx + Bessel (water)
    Dorit/ Fenster + Natalya
    Lockerbie
    !Paxre!

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bessel: 16. 10' below surface of water.
    Scribe: 15.95.

DEAD: Fenster.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-08-26 at 10:16 AM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

R3T15.9: Natalya scans the bridge looking for a good way to climb back up. Not seeing anything promising she sends a brief prayer to her goddess Calistria that she may bless her deception, and then Natalya casts ghost sound.

In a whisper like stormy winds a woman's voice echoes through the room, repeating. "My love, my Lockerbie, have you forgotten me?"

"Ha!" says Lockerbie. "Clever witch, but I know that is not she. If I had forgotten Liza Jane, I would not have asked you for these favors before your group attacked me."

R3T11.9: Dorit, you are currenty raging and flanking the entangled ghoul with Paxre. What do you do?

Jolly on deck, Lockerbie in the hole ..

Positions
    Spoiler
    Show

xxxxx + Ichibod
    xxxx + xxxx
    Dorit/ Fenster + Natalya
    Lockerbie
    !Paxre!

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #25

R3T11.9: Dorit growls and goes for the shield bash again, doing 8 (min) damage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    8 damage minimum? With a d4 weapon? Whuff! Scary barbarian.
    A lot of the ghoul's bones are heard cracking with that impact, but being immune to pain it doesn't seem to stop.

R3T7: Jolly (face it, that's your in-team nickname now), what do you do?

Lockerbie on deck, Paxre in the hole, Ichibod's turn already figured ...

Positions
    Spoiler
    Show

xxxxx + Ichibod
    xxxx + xxxx
    Dorit/ Fenster + Natalya
    Lockerbie
    !Paxre!

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lockerbie: 22. (3:63). Page 52. CE1.

Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-08-27 at 04:15 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Stuff. Year (1d14713)[3113]
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Let's try again.
    (1d10006)[9792]
    (1d10006)[6800]
    (1d10006)[5133]
    (1d10006)[9243]
    (1d10006)[5200]
    (1d10006)[1626]
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

"Ichibod!!" The Scribe yells, sounding the signal for those two.

R2T28: Speckled (both of them) point a wand at Paxre, but he just can't seem to get it to work. Natalya remembers that the only wand The Scribe has is the charm person one that was taken from the female derro.

Paxre shakes his head. "Ha! As soon as you pulled it out I knew what to expect."

R2T21: "You're not getting away!" she yells at Paxre. "I worked too hard at this."

What does Natalya actually do?

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Scribe: 28.
    Natalya: 21.
    Paxre: 17. Cloak of Darkness.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-08-29 at 09:34 PM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

R2T21: Natalya wants Paxre to hurt, so she casts magic missile for 7 force damage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Each missile does 1d4+1, which means two missiles at the same target do 2d4+2. Once you get some sleep and rest, you'll pop up to 5th level. And that means THREE missiles. If you blot them all at one target, that means 3d4+3 (an average of 11 damage).

R2T17: Paxre reflexively tries to block what he can't as he takes the arcane bolts in his forearm and chest. He's not sure which Speckled is real, but it seems the one in the hallway is the real threat, so he tries to acrobatically duck under his legs while drawing his katana. It isn't acrobatic enough as the real Scribe tries for a double fist-punch. Now, though, it's the Scribe who is even less acrobatic as he falls over the bedroll and whacks his head, stunning himself and prone.

Despite the easy target, Paxre has a rare insight of wisdom that standing around for revenge will only bring more enemies. He continues down the hallway, and zooms past Ichibod's cell.

R2T16: Ichibod lunges to his feet, and yells something in a language no PC understands, but that all recognize as Shoanti. Yes, even Jolly seems to remember something about the barbarians that live in the plains and mountains of a lawless, backwood frontier called Varisia.

He allows the silver arrows in his lap to fall, clattering to the floor as he snatches two arrows from the quiver he had re-slung over his back. He gets on his feet, takes a 5' step to the hall, and sees Paxre in the intersection to the cells. Though he has another arrow ready, he only gets the time to shoot one but it flies true and slices past Paxre's neck for 6 damage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You only got to shoot one arrow, because more than one attack is a FAA, not a SA.
    MA: Stand.
    5' free move to step out into the hall (the assumption was, for this to utilize you to best effect, for you to be right by the edge of your cell's open door.
    SA: Shoot one arrow. Still a hit's a hit, and Paxre - especially now with his cloak of darknesss, is a good thing.
    As your hunter senses make you sense everything around, you see the Scribe just outside of his cell looking into it.

Everybody awakens to the sound of battle.

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T28: The universe sought its balance with Critilope, and he is stunned and writhing on the ground, holding his head with both hands.

R3T21: Natalya, what do you? Paxre is out of the cell and went down the hallway towards the intersection. You would have to move 10' to get into the hallway.

Paxre on deck, and Ichibod in the hole.

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Scribe: 28. PRONE/ STUNNED til end R4T17!!!
    Jolly: 13.
    Bessel: 7.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

R3T21: When Speckled Antelope and Ichibod defeated her and took the Shard of Pride, it was a mixed blessing. Shew knew its power, but she knew its curse as well. Under the influence of the Shard, she used a spell she used to use commonly with men and to get her way past guards (but only rarely): charm person. She had managed to charm a small enclave of sewer goblins to do her bidding as her 'honor guard.' And this is how she would take over Magnimar's underworld, rise up to the surface and take the city, then Varisia, then the continent of Avistan, and later ... the world. Yeah, right.

As a worshiper of Calistria, using a well-timed, well-placed charm would be nothing if she thought she could get away with it. But since that time she hadn't used that spell; not really, anyway. She couldn't put her finger on it before, but it slowly dawned on her recently that when pride falls, what is left is shame. Charm person was her most powerful attack spell; magic missile is more of a sting -- a deadly sting -- but a sting compared to other magics of its type. And why bludgeon an enemy when you don't have to make him your enemy?

She stepped into the hallway, directly through the illusion and 25' down the hall. She already remembered the battle training the group had undergone. Paxre was far too agile to be affected by her grease, but his mind proved weak again and again.

"Paxre," she addresses as she approached (10' behind Ichibod, 20' from Paxre), and then casts her spell. [Ichibod, not having seen the spell in a long time, has forgotten.] "The Scribe played this ruse. What you have is a forgery. The purses' theft gained you nothing but whatever he put into it. Just because you have been caught as a thief ... we've been through too much to kill you.

"Give us your solemn vow that you will never attempt to kill, harm, obstruct or in any way interfere or compete with the lives of those in our group and the quest we undertake for the Shard or the Star of Sihedron and any of those shards, nor shall you incite others to do the same. Swear it, or there is little I can do to help you."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Paxre rolled a '2' on his save!

Paxre has tears welling in the big, oblong black pools that are his eyes. "I swear to this, and my curse as an oracle is that any oath sworn must be obeyed to my death; but this oath is broken if any of you in turn try - in any way whatsoever - to interfere with anything else I undergo just because you might not 'like' it.

"You of all people should understand what is happening here. Be careful of your lover, Natalya. He tried to give the Shard to someone he 'deemed most appropriate,' but Bessel and the group gave it back to him. He tried to name Ichibod as leader, but he and the group gave the Scribe (stupid name) leadership. What else will he give to himself through false humility?!"

"One more thing," he whispers to Natalya and Ichibod (as best he can with the distance), "but it must be the two of you you who discover this. Uncle gave me a powerful scroll to see past all veils and hidden mysteries. I read it while watching the Scribe work on his Green Peak Style. Get yourself a scroll of true seeing and you will see what I have seen. He can be called the Scribe because Speckled Antelope is a Shoanti name, but you will see he is not Shoanti, Varisian, or Taldane. He is something else whose entire race served the very creatures that serve the darkness that gives me powers, power that comes from the Dark Tapestry and the horrors between the worlds in blackness endless.

"Beware what you give the Scribe. He is tragic, he is disciplined, he is even funny. But he is a walking lie whose existence is an affront to the gods. I know why he is as powerful as he is, and power wants more. Beware."

And with that, Paxre disappears around the corner. He is as fast as anyone in the group, and Ichibod knows that the little guy can cover 60' in a burst, he has a headstart, knows the terrain, and with having to try to track or take the time to pick up or cast light on something, Ichibod would only fall further behind.

Ichibod, do you accept the bargain as such, or do you go racing after him for blood? Your original intention of shooting him is disrupted by his leaving LOS. And by the time you would have to cast or pick up light, he would be past the next hallway and out of reach of an arrow, let alone the sight to see him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ichibod, with favored terrain (dungeon) = Batman
    Paxre, ninja/ oracle of dark tapestry = Bane
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F157geaXp_w

For Natalya, who was so close to trying to kill him, realizes that ruse was her way to at last enjoy why her goddess is known as the Savored Sting. Now it is Paxre who will live in shame. And if there is truth in his having sworn this oath, there is nothing he can ever do about it.

I/S
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Scribe: 28. PRONE/ STUNNED til end R4T17!!!
    Jolly: 13.
    Bessel: 7.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-09-03 at 02:42 PM.
    Show