A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default A doorway to Kroizia

Out in the countryside, at the site where the final battle with the entity known as 'The Masters' was fought, a large metal archway stands, 20 feet high, on a base totalling 10 feet by 10 feet.

The arch, made of individual metal bars, is constructed of individual latticed sections, with bars criss-crossing inside the structure for extra support. At the very top, a tall lightning rod is fixed.

On either side of the base, two yellowish crystals have been placed, in contact with the metal.

Off to one side, a leather tent stands close to a large scortched area, with remains of what may once have been a bonfire, now no more than a scattering of fine ash.

Formerly Seft Sirag, now an an unusual desert.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: A doorway to Kroizia

Note: any and all times mentioned here are GMT!

Okay, between Monday 11th, Tuesday 12th and Wednesday 13th December, I'll be starting my first bit of major 'plot', which towards the end will involve a fight of some sorts.

I'm treating it in part as an attempt to see how well I handle the 'DM' kind of role, so feel free to jump in when things start happening - there will be a major lightshow to provide a reason for being there, though that will happen long before anything else.

Anyone who does show up - be warned that I have no knowledge of D&D, so if you use any "official" attacks, please provide a description of what the attack does, and a rough estimate of the desired effect - not in terms of damage roles, as none of the planned opponents have stats of any kind, and I'll have no clue what you are talking about.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

A flash of purple light brings a figure with a scarred face and naturally pale-green shaggy hair to the site. He takes in the appearance of the arch for a while, noting it's construction. Eventually, he vanishes again with another flash of purple light.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Val's second account.

Zimbraw par Rallouq, Xer Dzu and Mirror Val

Zimbraw: Vael, Dzu: cult_of_the_raven

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

One of Cain's shadow hounds forms from the shadow of the arch and sniffs the ether. After some level of expolration, he takes up watch on a nearby rock.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Val appears in a flash of green light, and looks up at the archway. As he does so, a bolt of lightning strikes the arch, and the electricity jolts down it, and into the two yellow crystals, which atart to glow slightly.

He places the glowing book he is carrying in the tent for a moment, then raises a large shield of orange energy around him, and approaches the archway, drawing his sword.

Anna shimmers into existance close to the tent, and watches Val. She spots cain's hound, but ignores it.

When Val reaches the centre of the arch, he places the blade into the ground, and traces a line backwards about thirty feet from the centre of the archway. At the end of this line, he draws a circle large enough for him to sit inside. He drops the shield, and sheathes his sword, before heading off to find some firewood.

During the day, as the storm overhead rages on, more lightning is attracted to the archway, and the crystals slowly grow brighter. Val builds and lights a fire, and cooks some bamhacon on it. He and Anna talk together for much of the time, ignoring the arch completely.

6. - Top - End - #6

The shadowhound, water fizzing into steam all around him, drifts about snffing for a bit, before getting comfortable in the circle Val drew.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

More and more lightning strikes the arch, and the yellow glow from the crystals becomes stronger.

Val turns to the circle, and notices the shadowhound. Blast it. He raises a hand pointing at the creature, and mutters something under his breath, attempting to teleport it a few feet away, so he can have access to the circle.

8. - Top - End - #8

The shadow hound looks dissaprovingly and wanders off to relieve itself on the archway.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Val goes over and occupies the vacated circle, shaking his head slightly. He sits there in silence for a while, as if meditating, as more lightning strikes the arch, and jolts downwards into the crystals at its base.

10. - Top - End - #10

((deleting a bad post))

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lightning continues to strike the archway, and the glow around the yellow crystals increases. the temperature around the archway is gradually increasing.

Val sweats slightly as he sits there, mentally preparing himself. Anna stands back, and watches, various conflicting emotions confusing her somewhat. She fiddles abent-mindedly with the ethereal trace of what was her engagement ring when she was alive.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

The heat, coupled with intense concentration and lack of sleep, gets the better of Val, and he gets up quickly, moving back towards the tent, wiping sweat from his face with a rain-soaked sleeve.

He ducks down into the tent, and the gauntlets begin to glow. His clothes dry, and he flops himself down on his bed. Anna enters through the tent wall, and looks down on him, concern showing on her foxish face. you okay, love? she asks.

Val props himself up on his elbows and looks up at her. just tired. haven't had enough sleep in ages. He lies back down, putting his hands behind his head, and lies there silently for a while. Anna stands, watching him, her ears turned downwards, looking rather miserable. again, she subconsciously plays with the ghostly silver band that was her engagement ring.

Outside, lightning continues to strike the archway.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

From what appears to be a blue circle of water walks in a small figure, about the size of a half-ling. This mysterious figure sits down, in direct eye contact with the arch, And starts humming a tune.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

((what is it about this archway thast's attracting these creatures?! :P))

For a while, Val sleeps, his snoring drowned out only by the thunder. After a surprisingly short while, though, he wakes, sits up, and sighs.

Anna on realising he's awake again, tries depserately to perk up a little. Then she notices him staring down at the floor of the tent, now well-trodden earth, with a few patches of weak, dying grass. What's wrong? she asks, worry creeping across her face. Val sighs again, and shakes his head slightly. I'm just wondering whether I should've said proper farewells to everyone, instead of rushing straight up here and just vanishing.

Anna's ears fold down again. well, we both know its too late now. remember what Master Jureik said back at the mansion. she says, almost reluctantly, sighing. Val nods. now its begun, its best to keep going, I know. I just don't feel comfortable disappearing without having said anything to anyone other than Ilias and Cosmo. He trails off for a bit, and slowly a smile comes to his face. And now I think about it, asking Cosmo to pass on a message wasn't such a good idea Anna laughs, and shakes her head.

Listen, if you want me to go back into Town for a while, you know, pass on any messages... she tails off shrugging slightly. Val thinks for a moment and nods. That would be great, Anna. thanks. He sighs, looking out at the weather. I suppose I'd best get started... He gets up, and picks up the book, then pauses.

Listen, are you really, 100% certain that you want to stay on the ethereal plane here, rather than coming back with me? He asks, seriously. Anna nods.

Positively. Somehow I just know that as soon as I step onto Kroizian soil, I'd have Agents from Heaven's Fortress coming to drag me away. Even if someone was to resurrect me, they'd still be harassing me. She shakes her head.

I don't even know why they want me so badly - I mean, I wasn't exactly the best fighter ever, only a field medic with minor healing powers. It never made any sense to me at all... She shakes her head, throughout all this, she has been playing with the ring. She sighs slightly. At least here, I'll be free from them. I'm integrated somehow into the laws of this world now, we saw to that when I first went to the Ethereal Plane. she shakes her head again. Val notices the ring, bites his lip slightly, and begins searching his pockets for something. Anna doesn't notice, her eyes now fixed on something outside the tent.

Maybe one day, I'll get bored of being dead, and ask Inari to resurrect me, but for now, I'm perfectly hap... She trails off, knowing that, in truth, she isn't completely happy.

She looks up at Val, just in time to see him pull something wrapped in ancient, crumbling paper from one of his pockets. Is that...? she trails off as the paper crumbles away, to reveal a small band of silver, with some very old, battered, and slightly bloodstained string dangling from it. She shudders slightly at the sight of the string.

Val nods. I took it from you when I found your body. You'd been dead for a few days by then. He pulls out a small knife, and cuts off the string, letting it fall at his feet. He sits back down on the end of his bed for a short while, both of them looking at the ring. They slip back into the Kroizian language as they speak.

((Gleep! need to remember this is pbp, and I'm not writing a novel!))

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

(( I suppose it doesnt really matter if you write in a novel style))

After looking at the archway, the figure in the cloak makes his decision and attempts casting a conjured bolt of lightning at the rod.

Much to his surprise, the bolt of lightning is repelled and flies off to the yonder.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

((trust me, that last post could easily have been almost double the length it was. I get very carried away at times.))
    ((and why would a lightning rod repell the lightning?))

After a time, Val finally collects the book, and heads back out to the circle he drew before, and sits down, opening the book up in his lap. He conjours his bright-orange energy field as an unusual umbrella to keep the elements off of the book. He begins turning the pages, as Anna shimmers out of existance, heading for the town.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

((accidental duplicate))

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

(( the lightning was magical and to truly say, I just felt like it :P))

With one last glance at the gate, the figure takes a scroll from inside its robe, reads it, And as the scroll burns to ash, A portal of shimmering light appears. Enveloping the mysterious figure, and dis-appearign along with him.

Where the figure was standing, there was only a stone, a peculiar stone in nature. Yet, it seemed like it belonged there. Along with the engraving, I will return.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Val sits down in the circle, the book open in his lap. He holds his hands out in the direction of the two energy crystals, and the blue glow from the gauntlets seems to extend, to connect with the yellow glow from the crystals. He begins to chant softly.

cynoeswr grymoedd, mi galw ar chwi gwneuthuriad gweledig yr terfyn cyfrwng bydoedd.

cynoeswr grymoedd, mi galw ar chwi gwneuthuriad gweledig yr terfyn cyfrwng bydoedd.

As he speaks, the air under the arch begins to ripple, and slowly a strange, translucent
    Semi-glass-like substance begins to form.

Lightning continues to strike the arch and travel down into the crystals.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

A small white wolf trots by and wanders in a circle around the gate, looking up at it. Another wolf joins it and they sit down to watch the lightning.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Val opens his eyes for a few minutes, staring at the substance. He pants slightly, but grins. Ilias! Hi there! you're now looking at the barrier between this world and Kroizia! he calls.

((unfortunately, I've timed the start of this rather badly, as I'll be going out for an unknown amount of time in about half an hour. not sure I'll be back again until after midnight GMT. sorry!))

The barrier shimmers slightly, and seems to pulse every time lightning hits it.

Val stares at it intently, then closes his eyes, and begins to chant again.

terfyn, gwrando at fi, gadael i fi toriadau chwi ar hyn o dro ffurfio yr drws i mewn i Kroizia.
    terfyn, gwrando at fi, gadael i fi toriadau chwi ar hyn o dro ffurfio yr drws i mewn i Kroizia.

As he chants, lines slowly begin to form along the barrier. Slowly a clear-cut line forms down the middle, and as he finishes the third chant, it reforms into the shape of a pair of huge shimmering doors, from behind which almost blinding white light comes pouring through the crack.

((and I'm afraid I'll have to leave it there - I've got things to prepare... sorry again! will be back on most of tomorrow, though.))

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

((Oh well, I don't have much time today anyway. I should have plenty of time tomorrow, though :)))

More wolves appear around the gate. They look up at the blackened sky, their eyes glowing brightly white. They let out an eerie howl among the blowing winds as lightning gathers around them. With a rolling of thunder they ascend to the stormy sky in a rush of air.

A moment later the sky lights up in massive discharges of lightning as the storm rapidly intensifies to a level where one might start to worry for the natural balance.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

With his eyes still tightly closed, Val opens up both his hands, so that his palms face the crystals, which fly from their places, into Val’s hands. The energy within them seems to surge into his body as they make contact with the gauntlets and his entire body appears to burst into brilliant white flames. He doesn't seem to notice this, or be at all affected by it, though.

In a deep, booming voice, he recites here more lines, as the energy pours back into the archway.

a yr trydan gafael yma, mi cadarnhau yr drws a ceisiadau chwi agored!

As Val speaks, the archway itself lights up with energy, spreading dazzling light around for miles.

Lightning continues to strike the archway, though it doesn't seem to travel down any more, now the ritual is under way.

((*sigh* another day of sporadic posting ahead.))

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Val repeats the line again. The energy becomes even more intense.

a yr trydan gafael yma, mi cadarnhau yr drws a ceisiadau chwi agored!

The doors begin to glow with the same intensity and brightness as the archway.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Though lightning continues to strike at the arch, it seems almost insignificant now.

a yr trydan gafael yma, mi cadarnhau yr drws a ceisiadau chwi AGORED!

As Val practically roars the final word, the gates slowly begin to open. The dazzling light remains, and Val continues to pour energy into the gateway.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

The dazzling brightness slowly subsides until the archway and doors are simply glowing blazing white light continues to pour from the open doorway. Val still pours more energy into the archway.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Slowly, the scene on the other side becomes clear. A dank, dreary rocky landscape sprawls for miles. Wind-beaten trees spread off to one side, forming an ominous-looking forest, and a small hill with a cave mouth is immediately apparent to the left. From the inside of this, sinister-looking red glowing eyes peer out. A foul stench of rotten flesh, and other equally nasty things, emanates from this land.

Vall, still with his eyes firmly closed in concentration, continues to pour energy in.

((note to any would-be helpers, I'll hopefully be back around 9.30/10.00 GMT. Forgot that Wednesday was Scouting night. I'd rather be here than being mauled by 11-14 year-olds wielding bandages [first-aid session tonight, "yay"] but its my last meeting before the uni breaks up so i figure i should probably go. apologies for my lack of organisation.))

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

The storm rages on, the sky almost seething with energy. Strange howls can barely be made out among the crushing winds and roaring thunder.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

((I'm back!))

Cautiously, Val opens his eyes. The white flames of energy continue to dance wildly around him, and it pours from him into the archway. As he sees the scene before him, a look of horror crosses his face. “No! Brace yourself!” he calls, as a horrible scratching, scraping shriek comes from the cave, and hundreds of vile, purple-skinned, winged creatures emerge, rushing towards the gateway, their evil red eyes dulled somewhat by the brightness of the archway.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Lightning strikes from the sky at the beasts as five white wolves fly out of the clouds and descend upon them, eyes glowing brightly