Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD 007: GoldenEyes (Please Read the First Post)

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    The divide is SLAs/Su abilities, and casting. Casting requires material components and foci in almost all cases (a few monsters are specifically called out to not need foci/material components), while SLAs and Su abilities by default don't (they are called out to never need them in the description, but I wouldn't swear there aren't one or two out there somewhere which do).

For example, a Trumpet Archon would need forked metal rods as a focus for Plane Shift, because it casts that spell like a cleric, but wouldn't need 50 GP of powdered ruby for its Continual Flame SLA, because it is a spell-like ability.
    Thanks, very helpful. OotS seldom shows the components (except the very expensive ones like diamonds), but we know that they are there since Belkar identifies V's fire spells from the smell of the components, so OotS does follow the rules about components.

I still think they aren't a problem for MitD, though, if a proposal happens to need a silver tuning fork to explain the escape (as long as something inherent to MitD is also needed).

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-01-10 at 05:57 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #992
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Thanks, very helpful. OotS seldom shows the components (except the very expensive ones like diamonds), but we know that they are there since Belkar identifies V's fire spells from the smell of the components, so OotS does follow the rules about components.

I still think they aren't a problem for MitD, though, if a proposal happens to need a silver tuning fork to explain the escape (as long as something inherent to MitD is also needed).

Grey Wolf
    True, they also show divine focuses being used a lot.

I don't think that components are a problem either really, though none of the likely spells (Miracle, Wish, Teleport, Greater Teleport are the ones that come to mind) have material components or foci anyways (Plane Shift seems a bit inadequate, but I could buy it).

3. - Top - End - #993
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    ...Have you played Go? Open space enclosed by pieces are, in fact, called "eyes". The fact that they look like eyes is a known thing, and showing them is unavoidable if you're showing any game of Go that's gone on for a reasonable amount of turns.

Also, among the people who think it looks like something, I don't think any two people have agreed on what that thing is.

Also, the fact that MitD has two eyes isn't exactly a big reveal.
    I was replying to the theory that he may have more than two eyes. I'm just saying that there is much more evidence for hi only having two eyes than there is for three, four, five, or a hundred.

Evidence For Two: The Go Board, his appearance in the comic.

Evidence For More Than Two: "Wouldn't it be cool if he had four eyes?"

You tell me which is stronger.
    Last edited by Ridureyu; 2014-01-10 at 06:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    You are presuming that Ridureyu is trying to be a troll.

I tend to think of him more as a Performance Artist, myself.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Just as an aside, I actually found a template that does grant wish as an SLA. I got to look at the Immortals Epic Bestiary today, and one of the templates is the Amidah template.

Spoiler
    Show
    “Amidah” is a template that can be added to any paragon or immortal character (referred to hereafter as the base creature). The amidah template overlaps with the Paragon template instead of stacking. An amidah, or more correctly, the amidah, as there can be only one, is a paragon of paragons. The base creatures type remains unchanged. The amidah uses all the base creatures statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
    Hit Dice: Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d100s if not already. The amidah always has maximum hit points per Hit Die.
    Speed: The amidah’s speed increases tenfold, for all movement types.
    Armor Class: Amidah gain a deflection bonus equal to their Charisma modifier. Amidah also gain a +60 luck bonus to their Armor Class (as per its luck special quality).
    Special Attacks:
    •Spell-like Abilities: At will - wish.
    The caster level is equal to total Hit Dice/Levels +60 (luck bonus). The save DCs are Charisma based.
    Special Qualities:
    •Damage Reduction (Ex): The amidah gains damage reduction 150/cursed and epic. Only weapons that are both cursed and epic can penetrate its damage reduction.
    •Evil Eye (Ex): Opponents of the amidah suffer a -12 luck penalty to:armor class; attack rolls; checks (ability checks, caster level checks, skill checks, turning checks); damage rolls; difficulty class (for any special abilities, spell-like abilities, spells); initiative; saving throws, spell resistance and turn resistance (if applicable). This effect has a range of 400ft. + 40 ft./Hit Dice and there is no save.
    •Fast Healing (Ex): Amidah gain fast healing 100.
    •Immunities (Ex): Amidah are immune to cold and fire-based damage.
    •Luck (Ex): Amidah add a +60 luck bonus to: armor class; attack rolls;checks (ability checks, caster level checks, skill checks, turning checks);damage rolls; difficulty class (for any special abilities, spell-like abilities,spells); initiative; saving throws, spell resistance and turn resistance (if applicable).
    •Omnicompetant (Ex): Amidah know all skills and have maximum ranks in all skills.
    •Spell Resistance (Ex): The amidah gains spell resistance equal to 10 +its Hit Dice/Levels (plus its luck bonus).
    Saves: The amidah gains a +60 luck bonus to saves (as per its luck special quality).
    Abilities: The amidah gains a +75 bonus to all ability scores.
    Skills: The amidah gains a +60 luck bonus to skill checks (as per its luck special quality)
    Feats: Gains 10 bonus feats (these can be epic feats).
    Epic Feats: Same as the character.
    Environment: Any.
    Organization: Solitary.
    Challenge Rating : Same as base creature +60.
    Treasure: Quadruple standard.
    Alignment: Any.
    Advancement: By character class.
    Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +111

That having been said, even ignoring the other arguments against templates for the MitD, I highly doubt that the Giant is going to use a +60 CR template that stacks with paragon for his low-optimization campaign. Which also rules out most of the creatures in this book, though I keep eyeing those Gibborims. I know they're too big, but if it weren't for the lack of a ready explanation for the escape, that fluff text... still, nauseating Ungodly Stench ability, DR 30/epic, 59 STR, hideous appearance and eating-focused fluff or not, it's a Gargantuan Abomination with no teleportation or wish. And a CR of 48. Which even with size-reducing templates that lower CR is... a lot.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-01-10 at 08:07 PM.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

5. - Top - End - #995

I'm pretty sure IHB was made after strip 100 (IHB: Ascension is copyrighted 2007). Still, the Immortals Handbook is full of things that give wish, or better as SLAs/SUs, who knows what else. Then again, anything with the Amidah template probably could fit the big three scenes.

He'd be practically immune to mind-effecting (SR 160+). Don't bother with Immortals Handbooks, according to The Glyphstone:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    If you know the truth, that its contents are entirely generated by putting a number pad in front of an epileptic monkey wearing boxing gloves before letting a human give the final product names and descriptions, you're much better off.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I'd been told that the Immortal Handbook was full of ridiculously overpowered monsters, so I figured it'd be worth a shot. I didn't think they'd be THAT ridiculously overpowered, though. There's a construct in here with a CR of 1068, for crying out loud. And let's not even talk about this 416 CR Wyrmling Nexus Dragon with 86 strength, let alone its CR 680 Great Wyrm counterpart.

You may be right about the publication date, however. Not that there were a lot of serious contenders in the Bestiary anyway.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-01-10 at 09:50 PM.

Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    I was replying to the theory that he may have more than two eyes. I'm just saying that there is much more evidence for hi only having two eyes than there is for three, four, five, or a hundred.

Evidence For Two: The Go Board, his appearance in the comic.

Evidence For More Than Two: "Wouldn't it be cool if he had four eyes?"

You tell me which is stronger.
    I don't see the Go board as evidence for anything. I agree there is no evidence for having more than two eyes but I also think it's not worth writing off potential candidates just because they have more.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

So a very, very old quote I just found:

Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant View Post
    To the contrary: You subtract the AC from the THAC0 for the number needed on the d20. A 1-HD monster in 2e had a THAC0 of 20, so if the OOTS all have ACs of 20 or higher (likely), then even the lowliest of monsters cannot fail to hit them! (Except on a natural 1.) A more powerful monster with a THAC0 of 10 would need to roll a -10 on the die to miss. No, those monsters are killing machines against 3E AC scores.

Likewise, it should be child's play for the OOTSers to hit the monsters' ACs of 2 or so.
    This was written at the time of OOTS 57, so this is well before Giant chose what MitD is, but for the purposes of "never updated to 3e" monsters, this is a handy guideline for "How much damage can it do?" and "How well can it defend against Miko's and Belkar's blows?" type questions. In general, aside from needing to explain why MitD wouldn't have been drawn in by Dorukan's amulet, proposals who weren't officially updated to 3e by the time of comic 100 are likely to have very poor defenses. They can, however, deal out quite a lot of damage, even with a very weak hit.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-01-12 at 01:39 AM.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Wouldn't the damage be much the same? The to-hit thing works because the system basically flipped the way it was calculated whereas the damage is just based on die rolls (I think).

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Oh yeah, point. So the damage should be much the same - it's just that they'll basically always hit.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-01-12 at 04:09 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well, 1st edition monsters would have done proportionally more damage against creatures with fewer HP (due to no CON bonus) - but they also didn't usually have a STR bonus to damage. So I suspect their ability to reduce a 3rd ed creature's HP to 0 is, by percentage, less.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I can't seem to find stats for a base Sylph anywhere - does anyone know if Celia's lightning bolts are Spell-Like Ability?

Because if they are, her eyes turn blue every time she uses it, which means that, like psionics, SLAs are represented in-comic via eye effects without a verbal component, meaning that both are consistent with the effects of the Escape (unlike cleric, wizard and sorceror spells, which do not typically, IIRC, come with eye change effects, and which do typically come with verbal components).

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Per MM2, sylphs have Improved Invisibility and a special version of Summon Monster VI as special abilities, and everything else they do comes from their sorcerer powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Huh. That's interesting. Thanks!

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    I can't seem to find stats for a base Sylph anywhere - does anyone know if Celia's lightning bolts are Spell-Like Ability?

Because if they are, her eyes turn blue every time she uses it, which means that, like psionics, SLAs are represented in-comic via eye effects without a verbal component, meaning that both are consistent with the effects of the Escape (unlike cleric, wizard and sorceror spells, which do not typically, IIRC, come with eye change effects, and which do typically come with verbal components).
    See the last panel of
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0165.html
    for some sorcerer magic eye effects.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Oh, good point! Then it looks like psionics has a consistent eye color change, but it's not the only one to do so, and there's no clear evidence w.r.t. SLAs.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

First post here. I've read a lot, but not all, of the thread up to now, so please tell me if I'm revisiting anything already said.

It strikes me that in the circus scene there is a pattern to the human reactions. MitD makes males vomit, but females find it somehow appealing. Adding in the MitD's dislike of eating children (even veal), does this suggest that it might be a child itself, with some sort of maternal instinct explaining the different female reactions?

There's a homebrew 3.5e creature called a slime child http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Slime_Child_(3.5e_Race) that might fit some of the characteristics, particularly the eating, eyes and overall outlook. Not sure it works with the escape scene though. My knowledge of modern D&D rules is pretty sketchy (I played AD&D for years, but nothing more recently), so I can't really suggest anything else off the top of my head - slime child came up on a google search for 'D&D child creature'.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by trickcyclist View Post
    It strikes me that in the circus scene there is a pattern to the human reactions. MitD makes males vomit, but females find it somehow appealing.
    This is incorrect. One woman finds it beautiful, but two others look as disturbed as the males. Extrapolating from a minority reaction to the entire gender is, IMnpHO, unsupported.

There's a homebrew 3.5e creature called a slime child http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Slime_Child_(3.5e_Race) that might fit some of the characteristics, particularly the eating and overall outlook. Not sure it works with the escape scene though. My knowledge of modern D&D rules is pretty sketchy (I played AD&D for years, but nothing more recently), so I can't really suggest anything else off the top of my head - slime child came up on a google search for 'D&D child creature'.
    Created in 2010: too late for it to be MitD.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-02-02 at 09:28 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Orc in the Playground

First post here. I've read a lot, but not all, of the thread up to now, so please tell me if I'm revisiting anything already said.
    Welcome to the topic!

(Not that I'm any kind of official representative or anything, but I thought a friendly greeting might be welcome after having your first suggestion shot down). It happens to the best of us.
    Last edited by allenw; 2014-02-02 at 08:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

It's a rite of passage. You're not a proper MitD thread commenter until we've ripped apart one of your theories

(The above is totally not true; we welcome everyone. Speaking of which, welcome to the thread!)
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I guess I am a member since my first and only theory was destroyed.

Second theory:
    Couldn't the MiTD be a thing that gets spells randomly? Wouldn't that explain the ESCAPE scene? He cast a spell and he had no idea he could do it.

Sorry if I am repeating what someone said, I just saw random spells in the cons of one proposed idea and thought this.
    Last edited by Duck999; 2014-02-02 at 09:48 PM.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Couldn't the MiTD be a thing that gets spells randomly? Wouldn't that explain the ESCAPE scene? He cast a spell and he had no idea he could do it.
    Nothing in canon is against that, and in fact, the way the protean gets abilities is described in fluff as completely random (in practice, it is up to the DM, of course).

Edit: the random spells issue was with a creature who gets random spells at creation, rather than at casting time. It's a con in that it is not established what spells it does have.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-02-02 at 09:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I expect this has come up before but perhaps the MITD's simultaneously awesome and horrifying aspect points to a 1e / 2e monster with a negative charisma?
    In 1e a negative charisma behaved as a 1e Cha of 19+ but only to evil creatures.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    I expect this has come up before but perhaps the MITD's simultaneously awesome and horrifying aspect points to a 1e / 2e monster with a negative charisma?
    In 1e a negative charisma behaved as a 1e Cha of 19+ but only to evil creatures.
    Interesting. Nope, that factoid is a first for this thread. Not sure where to record it, in fact. Edit: I think I'll add it under appearance, as an interpretation.

Mind you, I think that labeling the woman that found MitD beautiful as Evil on the basis of this is a bit far-fetched, but it is nevertheless an interesting approach.

It didn't work that way in AD&D though, AFAIK. This only applies to 1st ed?

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-02-05 at 03:54 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1015

However, Xykon, obviously evil, also calls the MitD ugly, which makes me doubt that such a thing would be the case.
    Last edited by rweird; 2014-02-05 at 04:21 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Titan in the Playground

However, Xykon, obviously evil, also calls the MitD ugly, which makes me doubt that such a thing would be the case.
    Yeah, but Xykon is also an ass, so the thought of him calling something beautiful that wasn't a hot female of some nature is also out of his personality. Even if he did like the look of the MitD, he wouldn't say so. Or if he did, it would be more like, "Wow, you are pretty fierce looking" or something of that nature, IMHO anyway.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

27. - Top - End - #1017

Yes, though he didn't comment on other people's looks really. I think he'd also probably say something like "you look fierce" or not make a comment on appearances in general, unless X actually found the MitD ugly.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I can't remember where I got the idea but I was under the impression that Xykon finds fleshy things to be ugly regardless now that he's a lich. So it's possible that overrides any thoughts that the MitD is anything but ugly.

Not that I think a negative charisma is likely since afaik it doesn't exist in 3.5 and we've yet to come up with a plausible reason as to why a non 3.x MitD wouldn't have ended up with all the other monsters who were not updated.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I can't remember where I got the idea but I was under the impression that Xykon finds fleshy things to be ugly regardless now that he's a lich. So it's possible that overrides any thoughts that the MitD is anything but ugly.
    I think you got it from his rejection of Tsukiko's advances - but that just means he is not sexually attracted to living females anymore, not a blanket "dislikes everything fleshy" outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Not that I think a negative charisma is likely since afaik it doesn't exist in 3.5 and we've yet to come up with a plausible reason as to why a non 3.x MitD wouldn't have ended up with all the other monsters who were not updated.
    There is a loophole in that Dorukan's amulet was keyed specifically to 2nd ed monsters - 1st ed. monsters wouldn't be affected by it - and thus, presumably, any that are left with a negative CHA score might retain enough of their old rules to look attractive to evil people.

That said, the idea does look a lot worse when you consider that Xykon definitely found MitD ugly, and that a low CHA score in 3E is just a low CHA score - we know that monsters that were never updated follow the rules of 3E as best they can with their subpar scores (i.e. no will saves), they don't actually retain their old rules.

Still, it was interesting. I'm always amazed at how these little nuggets do keep coming, even after years of trying to piece this together.

Grey Wolf

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, though he didn't comment on other people's looks really. I think he'd also probably say something like "you look fierce" or not make a comment on appearances in general, unless X actually found the MitD ugly.
    He doesn't comment on other people's look because he doesn't find them significant enough to do so. The only reason he commented on the MitD's appearance is because he thought he could use him somehow, and was therefore significant.

And he may very well find the MitD ugly, my point is that Xykon isn't a good example of an evil person in which to disprove Quartz's theory. X is evil, yes, but his personality is also so random that you can't consistently say what he is thinking/what he is going to do.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally