New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default Humanoid races off the top of your head

Which humanoid races do you guys think should be represented in a "standard" DnD setting?

Which ones should not be left out or at least should exist in "standard" setting.

"You can let out any" is really not an option I am looking for.

thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Humanoid races off the top of your head

Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Giants, gnomes and faries.

If you include goblins orks and trolls as humanoids then they should exist as well.

Thats all I can think of, really. Standard D&D tends to be pretty generic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Humans. And, hm. I use either halflings or gnomes a lot, probably gnomes more often. Dwarves rarely. Sometimes elves, but usually with very non-standard fluff.

In a "normal" D&D setting, I don't like having too many intelligent creatures. It's different for things like Planescape, which connect many worlds, there it works and the more the better.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2013-07-18 at 09:21 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Balor01 View Post
    Which humanoid races do you guys think should be represented in a "standard" DnD setting?

Which ones should not be left out or at least should exist in "standard" setting.

"You can let out any" is really not an option I am looking for.

thanks
    As players or monsters?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Elves, Humans, Dwarves, Halflings, Gnomes, Orcs, Goblins, Catfolk, and Gnolls off the top of my head.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

I don't know which race should be represented in a standard setting, but I am sure that human should not. I am so tired of this "The most young and adaptable race" crap - it's literally everywhere and becomes tiring after a while. It's fantasy! I'm here for gnolls, dwarves, orcs and stuff - not for boring humans, that I see every day.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Demi-humans:
    Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, Halflings

Semi-humans:
    Half-elves, half-orcs

Humanoids:
    Orcs, Hobgoblins, Goblins, Kobolds, Bugbears, Gnolls, Ogres, Minotaurs.

Short version? Read Keep on the Borderlands. If it's in there, it should be represented in a "standard" D&D-like world. This doesn't mean non-standard is bad... Birthright is all sorts of awesome, and it leaves out gnomes and orcs, while radically changing the other races (halflings are refugees from the Shadow World), but if you're looking to play bog-standard D&D, that's what you should have.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think a standard setting really exists - or at least I won't run one. Any universe I create will have be specific, slightly different from any other.

Having said that, I've always included humans, elves, dwarves, hobbits*, goblins, hobgoblins, orcs, ogres & all the giants. I once included the Fair Folk from the Prydain Chronicles. My earliest game included an inter-dimensional nexus, and I included a Vulcan NPC (who nobody ever encountered), as well as a Jedi knight (who somebody did).

[*Yes, hobbits, not halflings. The Tolkien estate can tell TSR and WotC not to sell them for money, but they can't stop me from using them for free.]

I've never used gnomes, gnolls, or tieflings, but if a player wanted a gnome PC, I'd probably allow it.

Hmmmm. This thread just gave me a new idea: I may set up a game with no humans, and the PCs must be an elf, dwarf, or gnome, and then introduce humans as a newly discovered NPC race, which is slowly taking over the lands held by the goblinoid races.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say anything that is both in Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk is basically the standard. Anything else is more or less uniquely setting specific.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Humans, Elves, Dwarves.
    Orcs and/or Goblins, Ogres or "Trolls", Giants.

I think that's the absolute minimum for "standard" fantasy. For D&D in particular, Halflings and Kobolds (and D&D Trolls) need added back. Then flesh out with Half-humans, Gnomes, Gnolls, and the full Goblinoid Group.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

11. - Top - End - #11

I would say elves and their variants, dwarves, humans, half-humans, halflings, gnomes, kobolds, goblins and their variants, orcs, gnolls, minotaurs, changelings, trolls, giants/titans, vampires, and were_____.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2013-07-18 at 11:15 PM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    I would say elves and their variants
    Which? Dark Elves?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Which? Dark Elves?
    The main types of elf variants used in the edition: drow in all, eladrin in 4e, you get the idea.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

In D&D? You're going to have people expect humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes, orcs, goblins, drow, and kobolds in pretty much any setting. You are pretty much guaranteed to expect ogres, trolls, gnolls, and illithids as well.

The fantasy races I first thing about? Humans, centaurs, faeries, merfolk, and some sort of psychic are the first ones that come to mind. Yes, thank you Xanth and Zelda for giving me expectations different from the norm.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

The main types of elf variants used in the edition: drow in all, eladrin in 4e, you get the idea.
    For me, the first thing I did when trying to make a standard D&D setting was take a hatchet to all the Elven sub-races. There are still elves who live in the woods, sail the seas, live underground, or live in deserts, but they're all called "elves" and have the same stats.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

For me, Drow are the primary-example of the weird new race created to make a setting non-standard.

But that won't apply to anyone who started playing D&D after they were created.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

[SARCASM]

You have to have elves, mindflayers, warforged, and genasi. All the others are optional.

Leave humans out. They're SOOO boring! Average stats, average skills, average appearance.... and people have been telling stories about them for over 6000 years now. They're TOTALLY overplayed!

[/SARCASM]
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    For me, Drow are the primary-example of the weird new race created to make a setting non-standard.

But that won't apply to anyone who started playing D&D after they were created.
    I honestly didn't know drow weren't an original race. (Started in 4e)
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

I honestly didn't know drow weren't an original race. (Started in 4e)
    Well, they're original, for some definition of original - Gygax & Co. came up with them, as "Evil Elves". They took the name from Norse myth, but that's about all.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

Really depends on how you define original. I mean, there's black elves here and there in fantasy literature before D&D. Even Tolkien already had them. I can't think of any that live underground and worship spiders, though.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

No, they are just plain old wood elves who never followed the call to live in paradise.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Tolkien's dark elves are not evil. Drow elves are partially based on much older material, though - Nordic elves and Unseelie fae.

As for the original question? Humans and maybe halflings. Everything else should be rare, special, and not necessarily available as a PC race.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Warforged may not be "standard," but they should be.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Dwarfs, the rest can be there or not i dont care.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I had this one campaign with a custom setting in which the only races were halflings, gnomes and goblins...

On a more serious note (although I really did do that), these are the races I can see consistently working:
    Humans (and most "humans with a hint of something": planetouched, Changelings, Shifters, etc.)
    Elves (one race is enough; the drow are optional)
    Dwarves (mostly one race; does anyone really even use duergar?)
    Orcs (or Goblins - but these should really replace the half-orcs as the "go-to" race for socially distrusted brutes)
    Warforged (since they occupy such an unique niche and can always be added as the results of magical craftsmanship)

Halflings occupy a special slot in my heart but I must allow myself to concede that they are not necessary and are too often portrayed as Kender.
    Last edited by VariSami; 2013-07-20 at 07:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Joestar (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
    OH! MY! GOD!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I don't know that there is such a thing as a race that "should" be in a D&D setting. The core D&D monster manuals provide so many races, I can't believe they really intend someone to use all of them at the same time.

Off the top of my head, the standard PC and monster races: Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Gnomes (as of 3e)
    Orcs, Goblinoids(gob, hobgob, bugb), Giants(incl Ogre and Troll), Kobolds, Gnolls

Drow are now very common, but I don't believe they are essential (I don't use them), especially if you don't have an Underdark type area in your setting. Same goes for Mindflayers, Githyanki/Githzerai, and all the subterranean variants of surface races (Svirfneblin, Duergar, Derro etc).

Aquatic variants of everything are likewise not essential. In general I don't like the infinite variants of every race present in all environments.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I disagree that warforged should be standard. While interesting they only fit in high magic settings. A warforged would stick out like a sore thumb in a large number of settings.
    An elf can be altered a lot easier to fit in a much wider number of settings then can a warforged.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    I disagree that warforged should be standard. While interesting they only fit in high magic settings. A warforged would stick out like a sore thumb in a large number of settings.
    An elf can be altered a lot easier to fit in a much wider number of settings then can a warforged.
    Almost all D&D settings specifically, though, are in fact high enough magic for them (and woe become about 90% of groups whose DMs try to break the streak).
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Almost all D&D settings specifically, though, are in fact high enough magic for them (and woe become about 90% of groups whose DMs try to break the streak).
    Forgotten Realms? Arguably, though not the 1st-2nd edition presentation of them (maybe late 2nd)
    Greyhawk? Nope.
    Dark Sun? Nope.
    Birthright? Nope.
    Spelljammer? Sure, but since that's about magical flying spaceships, it would be hard to argue against them.
    Dragonlance? Nope.
    Council of Wyrms? Not really.

Now, I hear you argue "But most of these are connected by Wildspace, so if they're acceptable in Spelljammer, they're acceptable anywhere!"

Nope. Because Wildspace was optional for all those worlds.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

Humans: Because they're relatable. Boring maybe. But as you can see in Middle Earth and Westeros and a tonne of other settings, culture, geography and history can create very different experiences of what a Human can be.

Elves: One race of elves, and that's maximum. Treat them like humans, geography, history and all that stuff will make them different. But I can't stand having sun, moon, star, copper, wild, wood, flying, water breathing, half and half and all that junk. It's an elf, that's it. And yes this includes Drow.

Dwarf: They suffer less from the Elf's ability to subrace out, so just one dwarf race. Mine tend to look like Mul from Dark Sun, with beards being optional for both sexes.

Gnome/Halfling: It's a Hobbit. I don't want sneaky skinny Hobbit and Magic underground gem lover Hobbit. It's just a Hobbit.

That's it for PC races.

Optional races I put in if the player is insistant or it sounds cool.

Orcs as players, theyre thrown in together as a bestial race for the skyrim khajiit and argonian lovers. Something still human like but slightly different, some players like to play a green character or one with a tail.

warforged, but thats heavily dependant on setting. and theyre generally treated as a form of golem/homunculus.

my non player races tend to be based on real world myth but i wont get into that at present.
    Avatar by thepsyker, cause he's awesome. And so are Minsc and Boo!