New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Dnd 3.5 Mage base class (new magic system)

Hello everyone! I'm been playing with this idea in my head for a while now and have finally decided to write it down. First let me explain a few things about the class.

This class is supposed to feel more like the sorcerer (lots of spells, less selection).

Yes, it is supposed to be weaker than the wizard and sorcerer, mainly so that you can play a mage type character without overshadowing every other classes.

I do not have everything finished, which is why I'm posting it. I'd like some help coming up with some of the abilities.

Mage

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Anima Magic: Sigil, Specialize|

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Attunement: 2|

3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Anima Magic: Incantation|

4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Specialization Attument|

5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Incantation|

6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Quick Attument|

7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|

8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Attunement: 3, Incantation|

9th|+4|+3|+3|+6||

10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Incantation|

11th|+5|+3|+3|+7||

12th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|Gathering Energies, |

13th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|Attunement: 4, Incantation|

14th|+7/+2|+4|+4|+9||

15th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+9|Incantation|

16th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|

17th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|Attunement: 5|

18th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Incantation|

19th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11||

20th|+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Capstone, Incantation|

[/table]
    Alignment: Any
    Hit Die: 1d4

Class Skills:
    Class Skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int).
    Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) × 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier

Proficiency:
    Mages are able to use simple weapons. They are not trained in any armor or shields.

Anima Magic(sp): Sigils
    Mages draw their power by borrowing residual energies from other planes.
    At 1st level the mage may select one Fire, Frost or Earth sigil, as well as one from his selected specialization.
    Using a sigil is a standard action (unless otherwise noted). The DC save (if one is allowed or required) is 10 + INT + 1/2 mage level. Mages can use this sigils an unlimited time per day. Using a sigil is similar to casting a spell, which have verbal and somatic requirements. Using a sigil provokes an attack of opportunity.
    At level 3 and every odd level thereafter a mage can learn one additional sigil.

Mana:
    Mages can use their own reservoir of magical energies to create stronger effects. While not being able to outright use the energies just yet, with just this small pool of mana they are able to take Anima feats. (similar to psionic feats requiring 1 PP). A mage's mana pool is equal to their mana pool plus two times their mage level.

Specialize:
    In addition to having Fire, Frost and Earth sigils available to them, mages can select one more type of sigil to be able to draw powers from. They can select from shadow, arcane, lightning or death sigils.

Attunement: 2
    Beginning at 2nd level a mage can attach part of the energies released when using sigils to herself, becoming attuned to that energy. When the mage reaches this level they can attune themselves to no more than 2 energies. Becoming attuned to an energy will give the mage a small benefit so long as she is attuned to the energy. A mage can remain attuned to the energy indefinitely, and can dismiss any number of attuned energies as a standard action.
    To become attuned to an energy, a mage simply uses one of her sigils, and once used (taking no further action on the mage's behalf) she becomes attuned to the corresponding energy.
    For example, Vriam uses the firebolt sigil against an enemy goblin. Right after using it she becomes attuned to Fire.
    As a mage progresses in levels she may be able to become attuned to energies without requiring to use sigils.

Anima Magic: Incantations (sp)
    Once a mage reaches 3rd level, she may begin to use incantations. An incantation requires at least 2 attuned energies and once the incantation is used the mage is no longer attuned to those energies. Along with the attuned energies, incantations require mana to be spent from the mage. An incantations mana cost is equal to the number of energies required. The save DC for an incantation (should they allow or require one) is 10 + INT modifier + 1/2 mage level. They also require verbal and somatic components. Using an incantation provokes an attack of opportunity.
    At this and every indicated level a mage can learn an incantation they can use. Meaning they must meet the requirements of activating them by having the appropriate sigils and and the number of energies needed to be attuned to use. For example, at this level Vriam can only learn an incantation that requires two mana, and since she can only attune two energies.

Specialized Energy:
    The mage recieves a small power depending on her specialization.
    Shadow: Darkness as the spell once per day (CL equals mage level)
    Death: Death Knell as the spell once per day (CL equals mage level)
    Lightning: +10' land movement
    Arcane: Silent Image once per day. (CL equals mage level)

Rapid Attunement:
    At 6th level a mage can, as a free action, attune herself to an energy which she has available. She may do this a number of times per day equal to her INT modifier (minimum 1).

Attument: 3
    At 8th level a mage can now attune up 3 energies.

Gathering Energies:
    Once per day, as a full-round action, a Mage can choose a number of energies equal to the maximum number of attunements they can hold and become attuned to all of them. This ability is gained at 12th level.

Attument: 4
    At 13th level a mage can now attune up 4 energies.

Attument: 5
    At 18th level a mage can now attune up 5 energies.

Capstone Placeholder.
    Still need to think of a good capstone.
    Last edited by desero clades; 2013-07-23 at 01:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Dnd 3.5 Mage base class (new magic system)

Sigils
    Ranges for a sigil or incantation are the same when referenced. Close is 30', medium is 100' and long 400'.
    Spoiler
    Show

Arcane Sigils
    -Shielded: Gain +2 shield AC for 1 round per level as a swift action.

-Lesser Magic Missile: Fire a small projectile made of force within close range. Deals 1d4+1 force damage for every 3 levels. Must roll a ranged touch attack.

Fire Sigils
    -Inflame Weapon: As a swift action, your next attack with a weapon deals an extra 1d6 fire damage. The attack must be used within this or the next round. If using a weapon that uses ammunition (a bow for example) the next arrow, bullet or bolt deals the extra damage. At level 3 and every 3 levels after that it applies to an additional attack.

-Fire Bolt: Launch a small fireball at a foe that explodes on impact affecting others around. Deals 1d6 fire damage/3 levels (half on relex save) any targets adjacent to the target (within 5 feet) take half of that damage (no damage on a reflex) on larger foes you must select which square you are targeting.

Frost Sigils
    -Chilling Blow: As a swift action, your next attack with a weapon deals an extra 1d6 cold damage and 1 STR and 1 DEX penalty for 1 minute. If using a weapon that uses ammunition (a bow for example) the next arrow, bullet or bolt deals the extra damage. For every 3 levels the STR and DEX penalties increase by 1.

-Frost breath: Deal 1d4 cold damage in a 15' cone. Increase damage by one step for every 3 enscriber levels. For example, it deals 1d6 at level 3, 1d8 at level 6, 2d6 at level 9, etc.

Lighining Sigils
    -Flash Step: Teleport up to 10' to an area within line of sight. You can increase the distance by 5' for every 3 levels.

-Static strikes: You may enscribe this sigil as part of a charge. For every 10' moved this turn you deal an +1 electricity damage.

-Bolt: Send a spark at an enemy within close range. On a successful ranged touch attack, deal 1d6 +1d6/ 3 levels electricity damage.

Earth Sigils
    -Pebble: Launch a small piece of rock at a target dealing 1d8 + STR on a successful ranged attack. Medium range.

-Mud: Turn one 5' square into mud causing it to be difficult terrain. Lasts for 1 round per level. While the spell is called "Mud" is can be used on any sort of natural terrain; grass, wood, dirt, stone, etc. Close range.

Shadow Sigils
    -Dark Grasp: Use your shadow to grapple your opponent. On a successful ranged touch attack within close range), you may initiate a grapple check using your relevant enscribing stat + your enscriber level. You can not pin your opponent this way, and you must use a standard action every turn to maintain the grapple.

-Dim: You gain an aura that emenates a magical darkeness around you. The aura extends 5' around you for every 3 enscriber levels (minimum 5'). You must spend a move action concentrating (no check required) to maintain this effect on following turns.

Death Sigils
    -Plauge Touch: Roll a melee touch attack to deal 1d8 + relevant enscribing stat. This is a negative energy effect and thus heals undead. This can only be used once per hour on the same creature if it is used for healing.

-Enfeeble: On successful a melee touch attack, target creature takes a penalty to STR or DEX (your choice) equal to the encribers relevant casting modifier. This lasts for 1 hour and can only be applied to the same creature once, until the effect ends.

Last edited by desero clades; 2013-07-22 at 06:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Incantations
    Incantations requiring 2 mana.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Temperature Manipulation
    Requirements: Fire sigil, Frost Sigil
    Range: Touch
    Saving Throw: none, see text
    Duration: Instant

On a successfull melee touch attack, you increase and decrease the target's internal body temperature rapidly causing 3d6 damage (half cold and half fire). The creature must make a fortitude save or become nauseated for 1 round.

Magma Ball
    Requirements: Fire sigil, Earth Sigil
    Medium range
    Saving Throw: None, Fortitude see text

On a ranged touch attack the target takes 1d6 fire damage per 2 encriber levels. If the attack is successfull they must also make a fortitude save or be knowcked prone from the force of the impact.

Blinding Blaze
    Requirements: Fire sigil, Lightning sigil.
    Close Range/burst area around encriber
    Saving Throw: Reflex partial

Teleport to an area within line of sight. At the end of the teleportation the encriber releases a bright flash of fire dealing 2d6 fire damage to foes within 15' of the enscriber, as well as blinded for 1d4 rounds. On a successful reflex the damage is halved and the foe avoids being blinded.

Invisible Fire
    Requirements: Fire sigil, Arcane Sigil
    Medium Range
    Saving Throw: Will partial
    Duration: 1 round per enscriber level

The encriber envelopes the target creature in a quick flame which deals 2d6 fire damage. On a failed will save the creature believes it is on fire, no matter how hard it tries it can not put the flames out. If the creature drops to the ground and rolls to put out the flames or jumps in water (or tries to put the flames out by some other method) it gets another will save. The creature is frightened, however since it is simply afraid of the fire, it doesn't flee but try to find the best way to put out the flames.

Rebirth Flames
    Requirements: Fire sigil, Death sigil
    Range: Touch
    Saving Throw: none
    Duration: 1 round per ensciber level

On a successful melee touch attack the creature is marked with a glowing glyph where it was touched and takes 1d6 damage per 1/2 encriber level, half the damage is fire and half the damage is negative energy. If the creature dies before the duration ends, the enscriber may use the life force as an immediate action (if the creature was a living creature) to create an undead flaming skeleton. The creature must have at least as many HD as your enscriber level -2 to be reanimated this way.
    The skeleton is the same as a human warrior skeleton (MM) with the following changes. It has HD equal to your 1/2 encriber level, it also has immunity to fire, it deals an extra 1d6 of fire damage on natural attacks and finally the skeleton itself is on fire, thus any creature grappling it takes 1d6 fire damage every turn it is grappling the skeleton. A mage can only control one of these skeletons at a time.

Essence Flare
    Requirements: Fire sigil, Shadow sigil
    Range: Close / 20 ft radius
    Saving Throw: none, reflex
    Duration: 1d4 rounds /instant

On a successful ranged touch attack the target catches on black fire dealing 1d6 fire damage every turn. Black fire can not be put out by conventinal means.
    At the end of the 1d4 rounds the traget's fire explodes (putting out the flames in the process) dealing 1d6/2 levels fire damage to all foes within a 20 ft radius (half on a reflex save, including the initial target).

Frozen Field
    Requirements: Frost Sigil, Earth Sigil
    Range: Medium /30 ft radius
    Saving Throw: None
    Duration: 1 minute per level

The enscriber covers the targeted area in frozen rubble, causing it to be difficult terrain as well very slippery thus requiring a DC 15 balance check every turn or fall prone.

Brain Freeze
    Requirements: Frost Sigil, Arcane Sigil
    Range: Close
    Saving Throw: Will
    Duration: 1 round per level

On a failed will save the target believes that it is frozen and can not move from its location on its own will.

Haunted Mist
    Requirements: Frost Sigil, Death Sigil
    Range: Medium
    Area 20' radius spread, 20' high
    Duration: 1 round per level

As Kelgore's Grave mist (PHB2), except as notated here.

Cold Conductor
    Requirements: Frost Sigil, Lightning Sigil
    Range: Medium
    Target: Single foe

You launch a condenced ice lance at a foe, followed directly by a lightning bolt. On a successful ranged attack you deal 2d8 piercing damage. The target is impaled by the ice and they can remove it as a standard action (dealing another 1d8 piercing damage). If they do not remove it, they are struck by lightning for 1d6 per 1/2 enscriber levels of electricital damage at the begining of you next turn. If the foe chose not to remove the ice lance, once they are stuck by the lightning the ice lance melts.
    Last edited by desero clades; 2013-07-22 at 06:47 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

This... is nice, different and seems fun. Will you be expanding the sigils and incantations?
    Needs more out-of-combat uses.
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    This is the Playground. We're a repository of D&D Knowledge. Kinda like the Library of Congress, but with more screaming about RAW vs. RAI.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

First off: grammar and clarity editing, spoiled because it's nitpicking.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In Anima Magic, the (sp) tag usually goes at the end, as in "Anima Magic: Sigils (sp)". Also, "Mages can use this sigils an unlimited time per day" should read "A mage can use these sigils at will".

I'd reword "In addition to the table above, a mage will add their INT modifier to their mana pool" because class descriptions are written in the present singular ("a mage can do this" or "a mage does this), not the future tense (a mage will do this); instead try "A mage's mana pool is equal to their* INT modifier plus two times their* mage level" or something to that effect.

*Official class descriptions use "his" or "her" for pronouns, but I support the use of "their" for gender neutrality. It doesn't matter what gender pronoun you use, as long as you're consistent.

Attunement should begin "Beginning at 2nd level" instead of having the "2" as part of the ability name. "...the energies released when using sigils, to herself becoming attuned to that energy." should instead read "the energies released when using sigils to herself, becoming attuned to that energy." (the comma has been moved)

When you say "specialize", it makes me think of "I use fire sigils, so now I can become more specialized in fire", but it's not worded to work that way. Can the sigils gained from specialization be only shadow, arcane, lightning, or death, or can they be sigils of the four elements as well? Can I choose a sigil from an element I've already learned a sigil from?

Attunement is very vaguely worded. What is "an energy"? Are they elements, like "fire" and "frost"? Is becoming attuned to an element automatic, or can one choose not to? Can one become attuned to an element without using a sigil? If so, what action does it take? Finally, it says "a small benefit" without saying what that benefit is.

The specialization bonuses at level 3 are nowhere near balanced. Arcane gets a game-changing Minor Image, which is a strong contender for the prestigious title of best 2nd-level spell in the entire game, and Shadow gets... a +1 bonus to two non-class skills.

Speaking of class skills, the list is tiny.

I'm not sure what Gathering Energies even does. If it works like I think it might, I strongly suggest rewording it to "Once per day, as a full-round action, a Mage can choose a number of energies equal to the maximum number of attunements they can hold and become attuned to all of them".
    Homebrew: TemporalistQuotebox • Avatar by Kris on a Stick
    Blue is for sarcasm • Call me Attila

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by AttilaTheGeek View Post
    Stuff
    I do apologize about my grammar and things not worded correctly, English is not my first language

Let me try to address and fix some things.

When you say "specialize", it makes me think of "I use fire sigils, so now I can become more specialized in fire", but it's not worded to work that way. Can the sigils gained from specialization be only shadow, arcane, lightning, or death, or can they be sigils of the four elements as well? Can I choose a sigil from an element I've already learned a sigil from?
    It is meant to only be able to select one of the other four sigils (shadow, arcane lightning, or death). However I am thinking about making it so that they select ANy four they want instead and then choose one of those 4 to specialize in. I think that would allow for more character concepts as well as expand the different incantation combos.

Attunement is very vaguely worded. What is "an energy"? Are they elements, like "fire" and "frost"? Is becoming attuned to an element automatic, or can one choose not to? Can one become attuned to an element without using a sigil? If so, what action does it take? Finally, it says "a small benefit" without saying what that benefit is.
    You are correct, the energies are the different elements corresponding to the sigil you use. You do become attuned automatically. You can only become attuned by using sigils, or some of the other abilities the mage gets, (am thinking about adding feats that will give you some more options though). I think adding a clause saying you can choose not to become attuned to it is a good idea. Thanks! Lastly, damn it! In my copy pasting flurry I forgot to include the benefits! I'll fix that when I get home!

The specialization bonuses at level 3 are nowhere near balanced. Arcane gets a game-changing Minor Image, which is a strong contender for the prestigious title of best 2nd-level spell in the entire game, and Shadow gets... a +1 bonus to two non-class skills.
    I think I may have gotten silent image and minor image confused... I'll fix that. Shadow maybe darkness as the spell or darkvision 60' (extend it if you already have it)?

Speaking of class skills, the list is tiny.

I'm not sure what Gathering Energies even does. If it works like I think it might, I strongly suggest rewording it to "Once per day, as a full-round action, a Mage can choose a number of energies equal to the maximum number of attunements they can hold and become attuned to all of them".
    Yeah I kind of messed up on the skills, you were supposed to get more skills based on what you specialized in. Like 2 or 3 extra skills.

You got it! I'll take that rewording if you don't mind!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlith View Post
    This... is nice, different and seems fun. Will you be expanding the sigils and incantations?
    Needs more out-of-combat uses.
    Thanks! I am going to expand them, I just wanted to post something up for now. if you have any ideas let me know!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well... I am not sure if I should take this particular approach, but what the hell, why not.
    In DotA2 there's this character called the Invoker. He mixes freely three "elements", getting different spell with every combination (of ten possible).

So, going down this road, maybe give this guy here 3rd level abilites that require incantations+sigils known to learn. This makes another bunch of skills, I guess.
    Last edited by Xerlith; 2013-07-23 at 01:07 PM.
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    This is the Playground. We're a repository of D&D Knowledge. Kinda like the Library of Congress, but with more screaming about RAW vs. RAI.