New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default True Meta-Gaming

So I just took out my D&D3.5 DMG, PHB and MM, a couple of sets of D&D dice, and my folder of old D&D characters. They're all set and ready to go... to my World of Darkness Mage LARP tomorrow. My cabal is going to have an epic D&D game every month (my character is in charge of special effects ), and it seems we're going to start tomorrow's LARP by wrapping up this month's D&D session. I'm hoping to have us all stat out our in-game D&D characters at some point (as designed by our Mages).

So. I think we all know the old joke of "So here we are at the start of the campaign. You're in a tavern. What do you do?" "I go to a table, get out my bone dice, open a book, and tell the others "you're in the tavern, what do you do?"", but have any of you ever actually done it? Have you crossed the streams, and started gaming in your game while you game - gameception?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: True Meta-Gaming

No, but I applaud you for doing so.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

No, but Rokugan canonically has the Game of Letters, where people send letters to each other as a form of roleplaying. I always wanted to play a game where a Game of Letters that got out of hand was the main plot of the actual game.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This is an awesome idea

Though when mages play D&D, do they ever cheat with entropy magic or anything?

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I always wanted to try recursing: You roleplay a character who is roleplaying... you!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeantbrother View Post
    This is an awesome idea

No, of course not. That would be crass.

They cheat with Fate.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeantbrother View Post
    This is an awesome idea

That has come up. The DM is the main Fate user, I believe... but that player has already decreed that cheating wouldn't be very fun for the characters.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

You broke my head.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Let us know the first time one of the Mages gets frustrated with their Fighter and complains that 3.X spellcasters are overpowered.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

11. - Top - End - #11

Hah.

I can imagine that it would actually be quite difficult, no? You'd have to keep the character in mind that you're playing in the LARP and, in real-time, try to imagine how they would play a completely different character.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

What comes to mind is the movie Galaxy Quest, wherein the real actors play the role of fictional actors playing the role of the crew of a starship. That's got to have been hard for them
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

I applaud you, lovely purple ophidian lass.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    I always wanted to try recursing: You roleplay a character who is roleplaying... you!
    That's like, the Möbius strip of meta game though. It's an infinitely loop, sure, but less funny.

Unless you play to the hilt...

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    No, of course not. That would be crass.

They cheat with Fate.
    Or time!

*roll a 7, rewind, roll a 5, rewind, roll a 19, rewind, roll a 2, out of mana* "Dammit!"
    "Relax Gawain, it's only a 2."
    "..."

Actually, that would be kinda fun... Cheating and counter cheating but keepin it under the table...

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    What comes to mind is the movie Galaxy Quest, wherein the real actors play the role of fictional actors playing the role of the crew of a starship. That's got to have been hard for them
    It's not that hard. Challenging, in the sense of needing skill and mindfulness, but each layer of deception was subsequently more shallow, especially since the in-in-character were exalted versions of who the in-character actors should have been.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I KNOW WHO I AM. I'M A DUDE PLAYING A DUDE DISGUISED AS ANOTHER DUDE!
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wanna see a insane wizard who talks as if he's playing a tabletop role playing game!
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'm sure it takes some adjustment the first time, but I don't doubt that good actors get used to it.

I imagine it would be like an orchestra player doing a PDQ Bach piece and getting to one of the parts that's SUPPOSED to be played badly. Singing a word holding the consonant rather than the vowel (Knock Knock) or purposefully repeating a note until you have no breath left and making an audible gasp (1712 Overture). One of his songs is Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring with an occasional repeated triplet purely for the purpose of making anyone who tries to play it fall out of their chair as they fight reflex. It's jarring, but you adjust, and that's where the comedy comes from.
    Now with half the calories!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    You broke my head.
    What? So, you never played Free Market, and had your MRCZ design an augmented reality Free Market app?

Although, what a nightmare it would be for your character, who has to track who has friended him in the game world, versus who has friended him in the game game world, and how much Flow he has, as opposed to how much Flow he has. Which, if it became a big enough social phenomenon, doing well in the game game could earn you social currency in the game, so your fake social currency could get you fake social currency. Which might get you real social currency with the other players. The real other players, I mean.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    I imagine it would be like an orchestra player doing a PDQ Bach piece and getting to one of the parts that's SUPPOSED to be played badly.
    [Longtime cellist speaking]

As long as it's clear what the composer expects of you, it's no problem. If you know what's supposed to happen, and how to accomplish that, all you have to do is practice until you can do it like 10 times in a row perfectly and without any mistakes.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    I wanna see a insane wizard who talks as if he's playing a tabletop role playing game!
    One of my cabal thinks she's a Dragonborn...

The in-game game didn't end up happening due to dramas We still officially play at least in the Downtimes, though.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    So. I think we all know the old joke of "So here we are at the start of the campaign. You're in a tavern. What do you do?" "I go to a table, get out my bone dice, open a book, and tell the others "you're in the tavern, what do you do?"", but have any of you ever actually done it? Have you crossed the streams, and started gaming in your game while you game - gameception?
    The only (vaguely) similar thing that occurred to us, was this:
    We played some characters that were under the delusion of being someone else, under some type of magical curse, that forced us into different beings. Of course, in our quest to regain our real status, we were forced to act as our current "hosts", to avoid suspicions.
    For exaple, we had a wizard, that roleplayed to be a fighter, and so on...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    I knew a player that did this all the time. He always played halflings for some reason. So now my group has a running gag that halflings have a racial ability to acknowledge the fourth wall and metagame concepts. Unfortunately since none of the other players can do this it generally comes off as mild insanity.