Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Eternal Summons [3.5e Feat]

This is the Halaster's Fetch spell line as a metamagic feat.

Fetch Summoning [Metamagic]
    The constructs of magic you would normally summon become true creatures once the spell ends.
    Benefit: A fetch summoning spell functions as normal, except called creatures do not disappear at the end of the spellís duration. They do, however, become free-willed and outside the control of the caller after the spell expires. A fetch summoning spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spellís actual level.
    In addition, the subschool of the spell changes to (Calling) rather than (Summoning).
    Note: This Metamagic may only be applied to spells of the summoning subschool of conjuration, which summon creatures (such as Summon Undead and Summon Nature's Ally).
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2013-07-27 at 04:22 AM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Eternal Summons [3.5e Feat]

Like with seeing the 3.0 permanent summoning spells, I look at this feat and say 'Sooooo, what's the benifit?'.
    The only benifits I can see to this feat is the chance that whatever you summon will continue fighting for you before turning on you, unless your DM allows you to use diplomacy on them.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Well, there is always casting a Fetch Summoning Summon Undead IV or V; you can produce monsters to add to your Undead control pool...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    Let's play a game, shall we? Current Game: END ROLL. Updates Mondays and Thursdays, 6PM EST. Currently on hiatus, because life sucks right now. Life has decided to suck less, so my hiatus is over.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    Like with seeing the 3.0 permanent summoning spells, I look at this feat and say 'Sooooo, what's the benifit?'.
    The only benifits I can see to this feat is the chance that whatever you summon will continue fighting for you before turning on you, unless your DM allows you to use diplomacy on them.
    Well, Halaster used it to fill Undermountain with tonnes and tonnes of monsters.
    And Halaster was insane, so you can't exactly expect him to make his spells the most efficient
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The duration of a spell cast by a summoned monster expires when the duration of the summons expires. That wouldn't be true for a fetch.

One could also negotiate for long term service with a fetch, or just let them remain as environmental hazards as Halaster appears to have done.

The bodies of summoned creatures disappear when they die or the summons ends. Not so with a fetch. This could be a useful source of spell components, grafts, bodies for animation, poison,... even meat!

It is clear that Eternal Summons adds utility to a summon spell, but I don't know how to estimate whether +3 spell levels is appropriate.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I think it's +3 because, well, that's the level bump the original spells had.

Iirc, the Summon Monster VI equivalent was a 9th level spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    Let's play a game, shall we? Current Game: END ROLL. Updates Mondays and Thursdays, 6PM EST. Currently on hiatus, because life sucks right now. Life has decided to suck less, so my hiatus is over.