New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Solo D&D

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Solo D&D

A tad fed up with scheduling conflicts with my play group, i decided to just go ahead and play D&D without them. I rolled up a party of characters, equipped them, and set them into a dungeon, randomly generating it as i go, all the while writing a journal from the "main" party members vantage point in and between dungeon crawls. Essentially, I've been playing AD&D solo.

Has anyone else ever done anything like this? Ide like to think that I'm not crazy, and would be interested to see what anyone has to say on the idea.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Solo D&D

Solo adventures are a thing. They read a bit like those Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books, though. There's also a book called the Game Master Emulator. I haven't tried it myself, but it exists. Lastly, a few people here have recently taken up playing RPGs with Cleverbot, but it's not good for much more than a few laughs.

It occurs to me that computer RPGs were made to fill this void, however...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

That's awesome! I hear there's a tool out there called the Mythic GM Emulator that's basically designed to help you do this.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

How about this - a website that acts as a virtual GM? http://www.rpgsolo.com/play.php
    I spent an hour on the edge of dreams,
    I walked between the worlds,
    and when I woke I never knew
    to which side I had fallen

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I get my fix of this with Stone Soup Dungeon Crawl, <3 it
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delvin Darkwood View Post
    A tad fed up with scheduling conflicts with my play group, i decided to just go ahead and play D&D without them. I rolled up a party of characters, equipped them, and set them into a dungeon, randomly generating it as i go, all the while writing a journal from the "main" party members vantage point in and between dungeon crawls. Essentially, I've been playing AD&D solo.

Has anyone else ever done anything like this? Ide like to think that I'm not crazy, and would be interested to see what anyone has to say on the idea.
    Yes, people have done it before; no, you're not crazy.

In Spring 1975, The Strategic Review was published by TSR. It was the first ever magazine to discuss roleplaying games, and was the precursor to the Dragon.

In its first issue, there was an article called "Solo Dungeon Adventures", by Gary Gygax, with help from George Lord, and play-tested by Robert Kuntz and Ernest Gygax.

It was in fact the first published article on running an adventure, pre-dating the use of published modules, and has impeccable credentials.