New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default A Very (un)Common Quest -IC

It's another quiet, peaceful day in Watertown. Peasants run from to and fro, running errands on what seems to be a rather typical day. The party just finished a long day's work and are heading over to the local eatery, Salmon, for a much-deserved meal.

On the way to the eatery, a bloodied man staggers into town. His clothes are shredded and his face covered in blood and dirt. He gives the party a painful look but doesn't say a word. His dark brown eyes say enough. The party immediately recognizes the man as Solomon Thraine, famed adventurer.

Solomon makes his approach towards the party. After taking a few steps however, the man drops to a knee and winces in pain.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: A Very (un)Common Quest -IC

"Oh my..."
    Mind racing a million mile's a minute, Belzy breaks off from the group, starting to run towards the adventurer, then curving his path, instead of approaching the adventurer, trying to get a look into the Salmon, wondering what could harm Solomon so.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Dulin stumps along with the group of his friends and colleagues, detailing one of his ideas - an automatic knife thrower - to a bewildered Dharg and generally slowing the entire group to barely a waddle. His leg clanks against the street every stride, metallically resonating a deep thrum that causes the entire frame to quiver with its owner's weight.

Upon seeing, and without recognising, the bloodied man, Dulin hastens his limping stride to move toward this poor person.

Cutting off his long-winded speech about force dynamics and the technical details of a knife throwing robot, he calls to the group. "Ho! Quickly; find his injuries! I've not the skill of a healer."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I move at 10', so pretty much everyone should get to him before me if they want to.

4. - Top - End - #4

AssassinGuy

Sneeky was crafting some acid and hammering some traps at his bench outside when he heard a thud, followed by an "Oh my" by Belzy.

My, My, it seems someone had gotten too careless.

Sneeky smiles deviously but not malignantly.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-08-01 at 11:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Shif starts to spur Fang over to the wounded Thraine before he realizes that's not what's needed. He wheels around and sets off at a gallop for the healer's house. Healer! HEALER! Come quickly!, he yells, as he rides.
    Spoiler
    Show
    None of us but Leonardo seem to have much Heal skill to speak of. I am assuming Shif is smart enough to recognize that he is not the best hope for a seriously injured man.

When they reach the healer: Come quickly! Solomon Thraine just stumbled into town, hurt real bad!

If the healer is Small size, Shif will try to insist on taking him back on Fang.

Fang has a base move of 40', and Shif is no more than a light load; if I'm reading the rules right, they can run at quadruple speed for at least Con (15) rounds. I'm hoping that ought to be enough to be able to run all the way there and back again.

6. - Top - End - #6

AssassinGuy

The gnome hops down, his workspace, hobbling towards the bleeding man and then appears in a flash before him.

Hold still.

He takes out a crystal from his pouch. As he traces it along the wound, it illuminates and dissipates after use.

This will help starved off the pain for a while.

Spoiler
    Show

Crystal of Cure Light Wound - (1d8)[3]
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-08-01 at 11:23 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Jeege was delegating orders to his assistant brother Nemmeth when he heard a ruckus nearby. Upon seeing townsfolk circling over the renowned adventure (and a regular at the Ziegler eatery) Solomon Thraine, he momentarily left and let Nemmeth take lead.

"Man, oh man! What did he do this time? Will be I of any help here?", Jeege said nervously. He'd seen poultry, swines, and bovines, being butchered all the time for produce, but the sight of a bloodied man is a different thing altogether. He tries to calm down while waiting if he can be of assistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

8. - Top - End - #8

Solomon lets out a few coughs before slowly rising back to his feet. He looks over to the Gnome with the crystals and gives a quick nod.

"Thank ya good sir. I wish I had something to reward ya with, but alas... my entire team, along with all my goods, have been taken by a band of Orcs just a short distance west of here."

Solomon looks over the group of peasants that have come to his aid and gives a thankful smile.

"You all are far to kind to care for a weary traveler such as myself. I couldn't bother you for a drink of water could I? I believe I may faint from thirst if I don't get a drink soon!"
    Last edited by the Frogman; 2013-08-01 at 07:57 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Riding on his carriage through the town, Orkin notices the small crowd gathering and rushes over. When he makes it to the party, he immediately recognizes Solomon.

"Oh... oh... well if it isn't Solomon Thraine! This is such an honor! I'm flabbergasted that a hero such as yourself would grace us with your presence!"

Orkin jumps down from his carriage as he welcomes Solomon, squirming his way through the party as he welcomes the bloodied man.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Help the man into Salmon" Leonardo says as he pulls out some bandages and herbs and goes to work.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal (I guess this would be considered begining long term care)
    : (1d20+5)[25]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Thank the heavens you're alive! This one's on me!"

Jeege then calls out to his brother at the eatery. "Hey Nem! I need one IHT-7 pronto!"

He approaches midway to fetch the drink and offers it to Solomon as quickly as possible.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal (I guess this would be considered begining long term care)
    : [roll0]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nat. 20. I'll never question your healing skills again.

(Assuming Shif & co. have made their way back.)
    Orcs? How many? How far?
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2013-08-01 at 12:38 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kei'soon hobbles over slowly and leans on his cane. My gods man, when did this happen to you? We must inform the mayor
    Last edited by Pesimismrocks; 2013-08-01 at 04:55 PM.
    And treasure!
    Wait, that doesn't make any sense

14. - Top - End - #14

AssassinGuy

Hehe, think nothing about it.

For one so intelligent, sometimes he would absent-minded about heroes and all. They are gibberish but seeing someone had proven it...

SOLOMON THRAINE?!

He lets out a high pitched squeak. The warmth slowly coalesces and he find others coming to aid this great man and he notices Jeege amongst them.

Oh, Jeege. Did not know that you're involved here. You still need those acid by morrow? Oh and say hi to your brother for me, would you?

He winks to the chef.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-08-01 at 11:22 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Solomon follows the party into Salmon and plops down onto a nearby seat. Thanks to some quick healing, Solomon feels completely rejuvenated (minus the blood spots of course).

"Thank you all for saving my life. If you hadn't helped me, I would have surely died back there!"

Solomon listens to the party's comments and questions for a moment before finally responding. "Yes... I am Solomon Thraine," he confirms with a chuckle. He brushes a strand of brown hair from his face and flashes a smiles to the party.

"My party and I were getting ready to set up camp for the night when a large band of Orcs came and killed off my comrades. In all the chaos, I was not able to get a count. There were simply too many Orcs! I managed to escape but barely. I'm just puzzled though. Orcs have never been this far out from Orcland. It's just... strange."

Outside, the sun is beginning to disappear over the horizon as the evening ends and the night begins. In just a short time, night will fall upon Watertown. Solomon takes a glance out the window and sees the sun about to set.

"Say, you all wouldn't know of a place for me to stay for the night... do you?"

OOC-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check the OOC thread for common knowledge regarding Orcland.
    Last edited by the Frogman; 2013-08-01 at 05:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

"Say Sneeky, that was some impressive crystal! For how much could an honest merchant such as myself purchase one of those items?"

Orkin tugs lightly on his beard as he shoots a glance at Solomon. It was truly an honor to have someone of his stature grace their town, but that crystal... that was nice!

17. - Top - End - #17

AssassinGuy

Hah, someone who finally appreciates the prodigious intellect of a crafter such as myself. The grooves of the perfectly sculpt materials can only be duplicated by one who delves in the deepest pits of seclusion. One does not requires a chemist, only a tinkerer whose preservation of mackerel must capture the essence within it....ah, yes.. sorry for the length...trailed off halfway about Sumya's Great Theory of enchanted fishes. I assure you I am saner than ever. You get those from those who are studying the arcane for a cheap price of a least potion but those are rare.

He blinks onto the shoulder of Orkin, dangerously close to give his grandiose magi babble.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-08-01 at 11:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

"Bahahahaha! Solomon bloody Thraine, 'eh? Fightin' orcs and barely livin' to tell the tale. Orcs! Out here? You think we're stupid?"

Dulin's reaction to the story is one of disbelief. No orcs had been seen out here in any kind of force for generations. Dwarven generations.

"If'n you ask me, this ain't Solomon Thraine. This is some fool that got mauled by wild piggies out in the wilderness, what looks like Thraine. He's just lookin' for sympathy 'cause his huntin' became runnin'. Orcs; Hah!"

Raising a fist containing a gold peice, the engineer calls to the barman in good cheer; "A round for us all! Let's hear more fancy stories from the good 'Solomon Thrain'!"

19. - Top - End - #19

"U'mmm. You know, he does look like Solomon not some joker. Perhaps he's right, mayhap we should let the mallitia know... Lord knows I'm running a little behind on their stock, but there's no need to deliberately let ourselves be cought with our britches down."

Belzy looks around nervously.
    Show

Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.

Life is Hectic.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Jeege nodded back to Sneeky, and guided the group to his domain. He would've stayed for a chat, but the place was really busy. He ended up listening to them in between busing tables, taking orders, and serving food.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

"Well I'll buy one of those healing crystals for a good 50 Gold. Never know when one of those will come in handy!" the old Dwarf says with a wink.

As they entered Jeege's place, Orkin relaxes in a comfortable seat by Solomon.

"You know, I do think we should give word to the local militia about the Orcs. I believe in our dear Solomon here, and I think playing this one safe would be a wise idea."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

"I Didn't hurt no one I swear"

The half-orc sat in the corner, ears perked to the word 'Orc'. His eyes are perked in a worried panic. In his heavy fist, he holds a small, cheap corn-cob doll.

"I was sittin' in here the whole time. Honest. Didn't hurt nobodies."

He moves the doll a little bit, comfortingly, murmuring to himself quietly.
    Last edited by Toy Killer; 2013-08-01 at 10:10 PM.
    "Executioner" Dargh in A Very (un)Common Quest

23. - Top - End - #23

"No, don't you worry just yet. You know we call you halfer anyhow... I'll go see if I can track him down, I got a bit more Drow for him as well... Wonder if I can get him to take me hunting, I got the stuff for capturin' more dogs..."

Belzy moves for the door, going to look for the Malitia Captin.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Realising his mistake, Dulin is moved to compassion for the orc on the room."You know noone believes you hurt anyone, Dargh. We're all friends here."

His comments sound odd in Dulin's rough voice, but the rest of you are well aware of the engineer's soft heart. Perhaps only 'Solomon' might be surprised at the change in tone behind the tough, scarred craftsdwarf.

25. - Top - End - #25

AssassinGuy

Hearing Orkin interested, Sneeky gives him the address and patting his back.

There's this small hamlet northwest of Watertown. Lotsa magic whizzes. Weird place but the one place you wanna look for is F and C Emporium. Just tell my buddy, Callum that Sneeky recommend ya and you're all goods.

He turns to Dulin, smirking.Talk about an optimistic realist.

Well, Dully. Have you ever thought of the possibilities that even a hero could fall to a horde of countless orcs?

When the Halfling blubbers out in guilt, he switches shoulders to the orc.

There, there. No one is accusing you. It's just there's some of your kind outside that harbours such reprisal towards people.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-08-01 at 11:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Dargh stretches his neck over the people to look at solomon shyly, despite towering over them already.

"Is he Hurtin' bad?"

He carefully puts lil' Dargh away under his belt. His hands start twitching into each other carefully, almost like he's untying an imaginary knot.

"Cuz I was here the whole time... work doesn't start till sundown and Jack doesn't like Dargh workin' when he ain't payin..."
    "Executioner" Dargh in A Very (un)Common Quest

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

*ahem!*, clearing his throat, Shif-and-Fang move as close as they can to Solomon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What do you mean, 'Fang can't come in here"? We go everywhere together. I'd get stepped on by one of the big oafs if I wasn't on top of him.

Excuse me, Mr. Thraine, sir. Seems to me, we need to know more of what we know before deciding what we should do.

Who else was in your party, when you were attacked?

Spoiler
    Show
    'Cause I figure orcs wouldn't have attacked a band of adventurers unless they had pretty good odds.

And learning the details never hurts, just in case something funny is going on.

And how far have you come since the attack?
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Cause that's going to tell us a lot about how much time we have.

And, I guess, did you come straight here? Because if you did, I figure all the orcs have to do is follow your trail . . . .

Spoiler
    Show
    Shif nudges Fang to get a good snif of Thraine's scent. Maybe we can follow his back trail, if need be.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Wise questions. I also think we should send riders to all nearby towns and villages to put them on alert. If the orcs are preparing to strike into this land, any villages bordering the wilderness could be at risk."
    Last edited by Leonardo; 2013-08-02 at 03:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

People. We should at least let Mr. Thrain catch his breath. I agree with Leonardo though. We must warn others. Turning to Thrain. If you need a place for the night you can doze in my old' place. Ain't nearly as good as the ones they have we're I come from but its cozy. But in your state you should probably stick with the healer man.
    And treasure!
    Wait, that doesn't make any sense