Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [BitPR2] Extra Episode 2: Just a dream?

The man backs down against the wall, balking at the drawn sword. At this point, what the woman says is pretty much irrelevant - drawing a weapon on an unarmed guest has made her lose even the last stretch of respect the man had for her. Out of primal instinct, the man bares his fangs at her, his eyes becoming black with blood that is not blood, the droplets on the blade flowing and floating towards him in defiance of gravity. Not only is the woman wrong, she has now made herself a threat, and every muscle in the man's body is tensed to pounce at her.

But the attack never comes. When the woman turns, the man breaks his silence and shouts:

"Yeah right! You're just a bully who feels the need to pass on her own misery to others, because you can't bear to admit you were deceived to make a mistake! A choice made without understanding is not worth sticking to! You should correct your error, not 'defend' it! The only thing that's eternal is change, and you build your own 'prison' by failing to do just that!"

But the woman is gone, and he's shouting at the walls, so he stops.

As anger passes, a cold void takes its place. While the woman was a fool, something she said still resonates within the man.

What if? What if he had chosen differently in life? What if he had stayed? What if he had not burned his house down?

Why is he thinking of this now?

What if he had gone back the next day? Tried talking to her again?

No, that is an useless thought. The man starts walking back down the corridor, but before he leaves the room, he again catches his reflection from the mirror. He looks just the same as back then.

What if...?

No. The past is past!

The sound of shattering glass echoes through the house/castle as the man's fist smashes into the mirror, breaking it into little pieces. He stares at the wall behind it for while, then turns his back to it. "Bah!"

But as he walks, he soon realizes he doesn't know which way goes out. He isn't sure if he just forgot, or if this is one of those dreams where you can walk straight and still end up going in circles. After a while, he comes to cross roads, and is at loss where to go.

But in the distance, he can hear footsteps. Mikael presume it's where the woman is, and follows the sound - only to find they belong to another person entirely.

From the base of the stairs, the man looks up. "Uh, hello. You must be that Reene person. Sorry for waking you up."
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Reene looks down on Mikael.

"Your apologies are needless. I was not sleeping so much as I was passed out. It was honestly much better to be awoken by your noise than it would have been to be awakened by her."

After another measured step down the stair, she releases a small pulse of pesquisa.

"You have a mortal's signature. What are you doing here in Soul Society?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Mikael is puzzled by words of this lady. "Mortal's signature? I'm confused. What does that mean? And what is this Soul Society supposed to be? The fickle woman who lead me here also used that word. She implied this is where my should so come, but I don't think she was right."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Reene rolls her eyes.

"It obviously means that you have the spiritual power of a mortal. As for this place, I will try to be as cryptic as that demented cadaver most certainly was not."

That is scorn, right there.

"This is Soul Society. Home of the shinigami. We are in the outer edges of the Rukongai area, which is a slum for the chaff of humanity while they wait to return to their pointless little lives by having pointless little deaths. As far as I can see you are both alive and powerful in your own right, so there is honestly no reason why you should be here at all, kishin."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Mikael frowns at the woman's words. What on Earth has made her so bitter? "Ah, so you mean my feel. Jehoel told me I feel like a human, or mortal like you said, when I'm not exercising my powers. It is not really indicative of what I am."

"As for how I am here... This is my dream. I suppose I could be anywhere. Though it is odd I dream of this place I have never been in. My subconscious must have crafted it based on all the odd things I have heard lately." It is really bizarre to explain this to a person who herself is a dream (what else could she be?). But after the inferno, it hardly bothers the man.

"You make me curious - what is a 'Kishin'? It feels you are saying 'one made of Earth'. Does it imply you are of something else? Would that hold true of the other woman who was here?"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Probably nothing all that awful or long lasting.

"You have met that old snake? Intriguing. And that is exactly what kishin means. Mortals and their world are made of kishi. Whereas spirits and our worlds are made of reishi. Some other spirit beings will call you 'human' like we are something else, but we are all human souls in the end. Dead or alive, it means scant little."

"And if you dare to think I or this place are constructs of your mind, I suggest that you think no more. We are very real, you must be projecting your conscience across worlds. I have known of mediums who have done so in the past. However rare it might be."

Her tone is warming up a bit. It would appear this woman enjoys teaching others.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

A curious smile appears on the man's face. "This is very interesting. Though you confuse me by saying we are human souls. I would say soul is just a soul."

The thought of astral projection makes the man ponderous. "That is a possibility I have not considered. I suppose it could be true. On the other hand, this would not be the first time a dream has convinced me its real, only for it to turn out otherwise. Though is it really such a rare ability? I would think such would be part of the very basics of being a medium. In the past, my people used to call them 'shamans' and 'witches'. They would fall into a trance and let their spirit wander to other worlds. It is a very common concept, throughout the world."

As he talks, she might notice something odd. His shadow is growing longer and moving, but there is no light source around that could cause it. How quaint.

"But maybe you have just not wandered in the right parts of the world. I must note I did not do this intentionally, however. If my spirit has indeed left my body, it must be because I've been grievously wounded. I do not recall ever doing this before." Hmmm. Saying it aloud makes the man doubtful. He might not recall it, but how often does he recall any of his dreams? This castle might be odd, but the countryside outside the forest did seem oddly familiar. Thinking of this strains his mind, and he feels every step he takes to thinking of the solution causes his hold of this world to slip.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

"My husband told me, long ago, that the difference between a human and a monkey is so diminute that it is only dwarfed by the mediocrity of the designs of both such beings. So I suppose you are right when you say that we are all just souls, and there is nothing special about it. But most are so dreadfully touchy about these things, 'I am a human', 'you are a monster', 'you are a beast', 'we are more than them', 'we are better than them', those who hold these thoughts built this wonderful place, you know? And so too did they build the one beneath, and the one further down. And everything else they left empty and all but decreed that empty it should remain."

Reene manages to smile and let out the slightest giggle.

"But enough of an old woman's prattling. If a horse were to trample you and you managed to survive it, would that mean that you have the ability to survive being trampled by horses?"

"An ability is something you understand, something you can use and control. Otherwise it is nothing more than happenstance. Any medium could potentially project himself if his power is sufficient, but most are simply not that strong. It is by no means basic."

"As for your proof, I suppose I can humor you on that front."

Reene raises her hand, and a gust of argent dust blows from nowhere to her fingers, assembling into a silver ring bearing a distinctive motif, like three eyes fused together.

She throws it towards Mikael.

"Have a token of my esteem. I doubt many remain who will recognize this signet, but at least Jehoel will. Tell him that lady Lucaster sends her regards, if you could."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hmmm." As Mikael listens, a sensation invades his mind. His left eye is burning, as if looking into a bright light, but there is no such light here. He lifts his left hand to cover it, but it doesn't help. With his right, he catches the ring. "If this ring persists, I will show it to him when I next see him. Though maybe him remembering it is expecting too much. I have a feeling your paths have not crossed in a... long... while..."

The burning sensation grows, and the man has to squint to observe the ring. Mysteriously, everything around him is becoming lighter and somehow transparent. Beneath his feet, the shadows continue to grow. Then the realization hits him.

"It is noon." That are his last words. His body, gathered together from dust of the void, collapses back to nothing, and the ring falls down. For a brief moment, the shadows engulf the whole room below Reene, and then they vanish just like the body that cast them.

---

On some roof in Tokyo, Mikael wakes up to the sun shining into his uncovered eye. It seems his hand slipped away from shielding it while he was tossing and turning in his sleep. His blanket is crumpled into a ball and meters away from him.

Annoyed, he wrenches up to a sitting position. It doesn't really feel like sleep did any good for him. He's still tired and numb and sleepy.

But it's getting way too hot in midday sun, so he fetches his blanket and moves to a spot shadowed by a chimney of sorts. There, he lays down to sleep some more, and soon his consciousness fades. But this time, he sees no dreams.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Reene shrugs as Mikael vanishes, and then heads off towards one of the castle's terraces, to take a good look at Soul Society, the first in a long time.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing