A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Experiences in a post apocalyptic FATE core campaign- A GM's log

I realized that some readers may not be interested in the discussions, and are more interested in the session logs, the story itself. I edited the first post to include a spoiler with links to the specific sessions' descriptions. I'll update it when we have more sessions. (Next one is this Saturday). Hopefully that will make it easier on some.

Kyoryu, I'll answer your post in the next post.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    Also, if I get my butt off my chair (into my chair?) and start an online game, you're more than welcome to join.
    I'll be glad too! I hope I can fit the general schedule, mine is a bit hectic, but I'll try.

I generally handle this less with OOC talk, and more with letting players decide what they want to do next, keeping open to their ideas, and making sure I understand what they're trying to accomplish. This gives them a *ton* of power in determining direction, but still keeps things mostly IC.
    Hmmmm.... ok, that's an interesting way of doing it.

It just means that the 'challenges' or tough decisions don't come from the system, but the situation. Also, a lot of it comes down to Fate being more about 'dilemmas' than 'puzzles'.

Lemme give you an example: Let's say you've got a situation where the PCs are trying to defeat an evil wizard, and there's also a power-hungry duke in the area. As well as three or four other factions. If the GM is doing his job, the players are constantly in need of Fate Points. So, when an opportunity for a Compel comes up relating to the Duke, the players have a dilemma on their hands - they can accept the Compel and get a delicious Fate Point to use for the Evil Wizard, but letting the Duke get his way. Or, they can refuse the Compel, and have a better chance of blocking the Duke, but will have fewer Fate Points to use against the Evil Wizard.

Of course, this whole thing falls on its face utterly if the players have enough resources to effectively do *both*.
    Ok, I think I got it. I sort of aimed for that with the whole Rivertown thing, but I guess giving the option of "support no one" kind of negated the "hard choice" somewhat.

being able to have some kind of criteria to determine success is important though, as it lets us evaluate our attempts to figure out what did or didn't work, and what needs to change. If we have *some* kind of criteria to evaluate our experiments against, even a "failed" experiment gives us information that can get us closer to a "good" solution.
    This reminds me of my lab days... Positive controls, negative controls and measuring criteria. I think my main criteria here are:
    - Do my players have more fun?
    - Is the game still mostly about the characters?
    - Does adding the rules contribute to the feeling of the setting, and does that enhance the game?

Importance in that order. Not exactly objectively measured criteria, but these are the big questions I think.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.

Thanks for reading!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Not a session update yet, we play on Saturday. For those of you who are interested I've came up with what I hope is a reasonable compromise for the equipment, weapons and armor problem. I don't wish to bog this log with the discussion, So I put it here, in the "other systems" forum. I'd love any feedback on that, whatever makes it better. Thanks!

1. Special projects:
    2. My campaign logs:

Thanks for reading!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Ok, I think I got it. I sort of aimed for that with the whole Rivertown thing, but I guess giving the option of "support no one" kind of negated the "hard choice" somewhat.
    The hard choices need to be between things that the characters/players actually care about :) If 'support no one' is valid to the players, then that suggests that the players don't really care about any of the factions.

You can also use opportunity cost as a great dilemma builder - 'you only have time to do x of these y things', where y > x.

This reminds me of my lab days... Positive controls, negative controls and measuring criteria. I think my main criteria here are:
    Bingo. I usually look at my criteria in terms of 'what *isn't* happening in the game, that I want to have happen?' That's kind of your third point, but to me usually gives at least a slightly more measurable criteria, even if it's a bit vague and fuzzy.

Having the game be mostly about the characters is, I think, also a great criteria. "More fun" should be assumed, but is also very highly subjective.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

We had another session last night. I'll post it in the next few days I hope, but in the meantime...

Between Session 6 & 7

A few things that affects the next session,and our game of Fate:

1) D*ck's player didn't attend the session. Out increased gamign frequency is a bit too much with his family's obligations. However, it seemed problematic to just fade him into the background this session, so he asked me to play him. What happened? You'll have to wait and see.

2) Ruphalo's player decided he wanted a new character! In his words he wanted "Someone who's sneaky, good at killing stuff and goes unnoticed most of the time" The end was... Bob:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bob
    High concept: small unimportant looking ninja
    Trouble: technology's not my thing.
    Body strength can solve everything
    No one pays attention to me
    Finding a way to get it done.
    Skills:
    +4: fight.
    +3: athletics. Stealth.
    +2: Physique. Notice. Will. Burglary.
    +1: Deceive. Investigate. Lore. Rapport
    Stunts:
    - Martial artist: Bob doesn't need any weapons. Using his fists, legs, head butts and such he is considered armed always. you add 1 to damage
    - Crazy kung fu fighting- by spending a fate point Bob can attack 3 enemies in the same zone with him without splitting his dice.
    - Blend into the crowd: while with others, you can use stealth to avoid being noticed. This is opposed by empathy. In hostile or otherwise dangerous situations you cannot use this ability.

Bob is the guy you don't look twice at. He tends to be in the background, not staying in a place. He founds he's living by getting into places where things he wanted been kept. He got very good at getting into places he shouldn't, and very good at fighting people trying to stop him.

He got around on foot, not trusting machines. He used them rarely when traveling the relatively large distances, but he believed that he can find a way to solve most problems without them. He knew they had they had their advantages, but he distrusted them.

He found work here and there, but mostly lived under the radar. Usually, he got a job from someone who got it from someone, almost never directly from the source himself/herself.

To tell the truth, I was a bit disturbed by the character- a martial artist didn't quite fit with the theme, and there was hardly a personality and background. More- the aspects were quite hard to compel... I had my doubts, and talked to the player about it, and he changed a few minor things. But he liked the character so much, so we went with it. In D&D he likes to often play the big bruiser who just kills a lot. This is somewhat similar. We decided to see how it goes.

3) The madam's player started working with Jenny's player (the net expert) at finding pictures, and descriptions to all of her working girls... Considering the nature of the madam's business, this was a bit disturbing, though not adult material yet. I was quite a bit surprised at the turn this was taking, but was quite happy to see the player so enthusiastic about it.

4) I talked to the players about my understandings from the discussions on this thread, and shared with them my ideas about equipment. We discussed it a bit, and came to the following version (A bit long, not needed for the story, just for interest):
    Spoiler
    Show

Extra- Post apocalyptic weapons, armor and equipment

Goals:
    1. To enhance the importance of equipment in the post apocalyptic setting, by creating a class of better gear.
    2. Enhance the theme of scarce equipment, that is hard to maintain and keep intact, making precious gear quite precious.
    3. Keeping things relatively simple, and not too complex or overbearing. Mostly, keeping the focus on the characters and their actions, and secondary what cool stuff they got.

Basics of the new extra:
    1. There are three grades of gear: Normal (which counts for most things, and require no special rules), Grade 1 (High quality gear), and Grade 2 (Supreme gear. The higher the grade, the more benefits it has, but the tougher it is to maintain and fix.
    2. Maintenance is done between scenarios, but gear may also malfunction in action and require fixing. Both can be done with various skills, not just craft.
    3. Between scenarios the party may also acquire Consumables- equipment that is used and is then gone. This include special ammunition, but also other stuff such as stim packs and more.

Equipment grades:
    There are 3 levels of equipment. This refers to everything, but will currently deal with weapons, armor and vehicles. The general guidelines can be used to define other items on the fly.
    1. Normal grade: The usual tools of the trade. This refers to mundane equipment of all sorts. No special rules, no maintenance or getting broken. The equipment is not sophisticated and gives no special benefits. Examples: The clothes you wear, simple leather armor, Guns of **** and madam, Walter's machete and so onů
    2. Grade 1, high quality: These items refer to the top notchquality items a post apocalyptic world can create. This category includes 2 sorts of items: Either ones conveying special benefits (Like the special weapons and armors, see below) or a higher quality version of mundane equipment. These items may require stunt, or possibly consumables (ammunition and such). All of these require maintenance. Some examples would be most vehicles, Jenny's sniper rifle and barrettes, Walter's Hudsons' gun and the madam's lie detector.
    3. Grade 2, Supreme quality: These reflect relics and special items from prewar technology, or otherwise extremely hard to acquire. Usually with added benefits, but harder to maintain, and often with some other cost (Like a stunt or consumables) Examples may be- Mister Handy might be considered such an item (Might be grade 1, haven't decided), Possbily Jenny's bike or ****'s hammer (Supreme types of vehicles)

Fixing and maintenance:
    Grades 1 & 2 equipment requires constant maintenance. This comes up in two fashions- one is fixing stuff while adventuring and the other maintaining equipment in general.
    1. Fixing: Every time you use a grade 2 or 3 equipment and roll a -3 or -4, it malfunctions. (Gains a suitable aspect, some suggestions are in the specific sections) If you have enough time (usually after a scene, and definitely not in combat) You may try and fix it. The target number is 2 for grade 1 items, or 4 for grade 2. You can use any skill that might suit, like shooting for fire arms, or such. If you can hire people or pay people you may use resources or connections, and so on. Depends on the story. If a fixing attempt failed, You need to wait to the end of the scenario and try and fix it as part of maintenance.
    2. Maintenance: Between scenarios, you total all the grades of equipment you have, this is the target number for maintenance. For mixed types of gear use a skills that fits the job (Currently thinking of craft, connections or resources, but will work according to the story) You can use left over fate points from before, or take from next scenario if you wish. If you fail, the most highest grade equipment that got used the most gain a malfunctioning aspect as in "fixing". You can choose to not maintain some gear, but then it automatically gains the aspect. If you fail by 3 points, another item malfunctions.

Acquisition
    Between scenarios you can acquire items. These are consumables, weapons, armor and so on, depending on availability of the situation. You roll resources, contacts, craft or even investigate or survival (scavenging). Double your roll- that is your acquisition points total. Acquisitions do not go away after a scenario.
    - Most consumables are worth 1-2 acquisition points.
    - Graded gear cost 4 points for grade 1, 8 points for grade 2.

Specifics
    Weapons:
    Grade 1: add +1 to the damage using these weapons. Sample weapons:
    1. Machine gun: Requires training (stunt). Special ability: While using the attack action you can also add "let the lead fly" aspect to a zone (target number 2, same roll) The special ability uses up 1 suitable consumable ammo.
    2. Grenades: Requires training (Stunt) Affects an entire zone, attacks with a force of 3. Uses up 1 suitable consumable ammo (grenade).
    3. Sniper rifle: Requires training (Stunt). If the target is unaware of the shooter, ignore any armor or cover the target has. Can also be used as a normal weapon. Does NOT consume ammunition.
    4. Rocket Launcher: Requires training (Stunt). Can attack vehicles or large targets, affecting it and all people in target, ignores armor of target. This ability uses up 1 suitable consumable ammo. (Rocket)
    5. "Hudson's arm!" gun: "It's accurate" (Once per scene add +2 to hit) "and reliable!" (Need to fix only if rolls -4 instead of -3 or -4. Maintenance as usual)
    6. Jenny's Barretts: covered under Jenny's description.
    Grade 2: add +2 to the damage using these weapons. You don't yet know of such weapons, but I'm thinking of something like energy weapons or maybe Fallout's minigun. Better advantages, higher maintenance
    Example of malfunction: the special ability of the weapon doesn't function, or 2-3 consumables are lost or such.

Armor:
    Grade 1: reduce 1 stress from each hit.
    There may be more armors and effects, we could work things out.
    Grade 2: reduce 2 stress from each hit. Also a special ability.
    None that you know of yet.
    Example of malfunction: Armor doesn't protect well, or inhibits movement.

Vehicles:
    There is no "normal grade" vehicle. (It's called walking). All vehicles need maintenance.
    Grade 1: normal vehicles. +1 armor, 1 and 2 stress boxes, can suffer mild and moderate consequence only.
    Grade 2: superior vehicles, +2 armor, 1, 2, and 3 stress boxes, can suffer mild, moderate and severe consequences. Usually with some added benefit of performance or stunt.
    Consumables:
    - General survival gear: You note how much you have, but without specifics. When you think of a useful item for the scene, just pull 1 of these. Usually creates a suitable aspect. Each item is worth 1 consumable.
    - Ammo for grade 1 weapons (Ammunition for machine guns, grenades, rockets and such). Each ammunition is worth 1 consumable.
    - Better ammunition: Used for mundane weapons or mundane uses of higher grade weapons. 1 scene worth of ammunition is worth 1 consumable.
    - Spare parts: chosen each time for a specific equipment. Grants a boost to fix or maintenance attempts. Worth as much as the grade in consumables. Not all Item may have easily available parts.
    - Stim pack: removes 3 physical stress, limit of one per scene. Worth 1 consumable.
    - Rad Away: removes 2 radiation stress. Worth 1 consumable.
    - Pain Killer: Ignore 1 consequence for 1 scene. Worth 1 consumable.
    - Fuel: enables a vehicle to drive for 1 session. Worth 1 consumable.
    - Microfusion cell: Enables a suitable vehicle to drive for 1 scenario. Can also power some other old world technology. Worth 2 consumables.
    Other ideas are welcomed. I think this may add nicely, but will not hold the game over details, or book keeping too much.

----------------------------

That's what transpired between sessions. So missing one player, one new character, and a new extra to deal with. We were ready to go! I'll try and update when I can, at a convention/ vacation now.
    Last edited by Kol Korran; 2013-10-07 at 01:23 PM.

1. Special projects:
    2. My campaign logs:

Thanks for reading!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Session 7- The dark ones come

This session turned up to be quite compelx to run, as it incorporated mostly one big messy battle. But I think I'll keep be able to keep it in one part. Lets see.

Also, at the start of the session players rolled for consumables, and all got some (Don't remember what exaclty), except for the madam who got really bad dice and got nothing.

I remember you... Don't I?
    With the new infromation from the ruined tribal village, the party decided to head to town. I skipped hazards of the journey, and just had them arrive near evening. They were met by the sheriff, who heard their reports, but did not know what this "Fort Lost" was. All he could tell them, was that It ain't gonna end well...

Oh, and another truck of brown coats came from river town, to help Deputy Kell, and they brought another guy here, a former resident of Little town called... damn! Just had his name. Madam- you remember him too right? A small guy? Nondescript, kinda ordniary, short? Can't quite put a face to him... Said he wanted to fight the Vampyrs.

Now the party was worried, and suspicious. This is because they still didn't know Ruphalo's player changed character. So they went to seek this new comer, and were suprsied to see who played him. "Wait, so you're... Bob? And what skills do you have, where are your weapons?" Bob thought for a second. "Well, I can kill vampyrs with my bear hands, and when I don't want people to know where I am, they don't... I think the vampyrs are the end results of alll the technology, just like the bombs of the end world war. They are a plague that must be eradicated!".

The party exchanged looks... "Um... yeah... right... kill things with his hands... Um, we'll think about it and see tomorrow? Where you'll be staying?", "Oh, i'll be staying with the Merilyn, not the girls thought, just a room." This made the madame a bit suspicious, but not too much.

Speaking of the Merilyn, they went to see who's there. The delegation was still there, for surprisingly Burt Jenkins said he'll consider the offers, but accepted none. He said a Jenkins Delegation might come to Rivertown and speak with the heads of the factions directly, see what they could offer face to face.

End to politics?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I understood from the previous session that this was not the foucs the party wanted to follow. As I mentioned this to the group, Jenny's player commented. "You get it wrong, we're ok with politics, but with us at the reigns. We'd like to make our own place, possibly at the ruins of ForrestVille?" Hmmmm.. another idea for an arch?

They found Dr. Cross at the Merilyn as well, hugging one of the madam's girls. Jenny hinted they'd liek to talk alone, and he grudingly accepted. They tried to see if he knows anything about Fort Lost, but he did not (bad Lore roll) He did suspect it was not a real name, but rather a nickname for some other place.

They went to talk to Mr. Rhodes then, and relayed all the info, which he wrote in his little black notebook, humming and nodding "Interesting... Yes, Mr. Silvertone will like to know that..." and so on. He said he'll leave to morrow morning with the delegation and the Brown coats escort, and relay their info.

However, the party was stumped. They didn't know how to continue. Possibly back to Rivertown for Silvertone's library? Maybe explore some other abandoned village? Maybe try and scour the Forrestville factory for more information? They didn't quite know, but as the preacher put it. "We can't waste any time, something is on the move, something is a foot." They decided to sleep on it, and decide in the morning.

But things are going to change drastically tonight!

When the Brahmin Manure hits the fan
    So the madam and Bob slept in the Merilyn, Walter was at his small hovel, Jenny with her two brothers at their shack in the Junkyard, and D*ck at his mansion (The madam: He has a MANSION?!, Hey resources has some perks ) Which all meant that they were seperated when the nightly attack came.

The watch towers gave no warning, but suddenly there were the howls and sounds of Vampyrs, mogols and moog hounds in the street, but not just them- also... vehicles? and human voices and hollers?

Walter's past comes back to haunt him
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now, I talked with Walter's player before session, and asked him if I can bring his (yet unmentioned or decided) background to the session. He agreed, and gave me free reign, so I sent him an email with a word file, that would be opened at the correct time. This was the time:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ain't always been a priest

A while ago, some might say a year or two back, Walter wasn't a believer, in fact he was far from that. He was a raider, a pillager, hanging out with one of the worst the wasteland could offer. But he was never as bad as the leader of the gang- Quaker Jones. While Silvertone might be conniving, The purifier racists, and the diamonds are opportunists, they all at least have some morals, however basic, to guide them.
    Quaker Jones doesn't. If there was a picture under "Amoral careless sadist", it would be his. The man just goes for what he wants, no compunctions about it. When Walter found out that there must be more to life, more than reckless pillaging and murdering, Quaker took it as an offense, tied him up in the wasteland and sawed off his arm with a knife, smiling the entire time. He left Walter to bleed to death, taking his arm to cook ("Can't waste good meat, eh dead man?") but by some miraculous chance, and great power of will, Walter survived till some wanderers happened to pass by and rescue him. You don't know how he might respond to seeing you again.
    The following are some aspects he had back then. May not be true now, but you can hardly imagine such a man changing much. Then again- you did.
    "No morals, no worries", "See, Want, Take", "Rule by fear"
    You remember him being a superb shot, and quite a good motorcycle rider. He was quite tough and resilient!

Now, this is where things got quite complicated to handle. Why? Because the characters were separated, and each faced different situations and problems. I skipped between them all, since it happened simultaneously. However, for ease of story I'll just detail what happened to the different characters. Starting with...

Jenny's fight
    The Junkyard was close to the middle of the Town, and Jenny assumed (correctly) as she woke up, that she has a little time. She was about to have her and her brothers hi tail from here. (The player doesn't like to deal with unexpected situations, and he assumed (again, correctly), that this is probably more formidable threat than the reckless raids of vampyrs) But Jenny "has a lot to make up for", so her conscious made her at least give it a fight. "Barricade yourself, I'm going to have a look" She told her brothers, and quickly, stealthily climbed the water tower. The view was not... comforting.

There was a group of Vampyrs and their ilk coming from the norhtrn farm, towards the middle, and another from the south, currently engaged with a battle over D*ck's mansion and warehouses, along with his people. (D*ck was "out of the picture" for this battle). But there were also humans, some on bikes, and maybe a truck or two? from the west and north east. A hum drew up Jenny's attention, and she noticed not one, but 2 hovercrafts (Like in the first adventure, which Ma Jenkins destroyed), both coming upon the Jenkins holdings, and focusing some heavy fire on them. "F***" cursed Jenny. "Ok, take out the leadership. Mean Mogols for now" Noticing the horde coming over to the Merilyn, Jenny shot one of the mogols, the second shot taking him out.

But Some Vampyrs were getting to the Junkyard, and her brothers were calling for help. So she slid down quickly, and have them all barricade in a shack, creating a bottle neck for the coming vampyrs. They were able to repel some of the creeps, and hold them from getting in. Jenny though this was going well, when she heard a heavy groin of metal, when a huge scrap was fell in front of their opening, blocking them in. It was about tat this time that They all heard the speaker's of the Jenkins manor coming to life, and Burt's beaten and broken voice. "Littletown has been overtaken. we have fallen. Don't find and surrender, or they will be killing many of us now..." The theme of defeat was unmistaken.

Jenny decided to use the junkyard's aspects as her home, to decided on loose boards at the roof. Once they head the Vampyrs and the big thing (whatever it was), move away, Jenny and her brothers climbed out. "Find somewhere to hide! I need to get out of here, perhaps D*ck or the others got out. Keep safe!" She tried to climb the water tower again, but was spotted. She could only see that there were quite a few town people gathered in front of the Jenkins manor, with one of the hovercrafts there and some... hulking figures, like Ruphalo? With that she snuck out to her hidden Harley, and tried to ride out of town.

But a few raiders noticed her, and began a pursuit. We decided on a contest. Jenny could also shoot while riding (A stunt) which really came to her help in the contest, where they nearly took her she shot 2 down, and managed to escape the last, in a dust storm that rose (A tie, which led to an unexpected complication).

She was out of the attack, but with barely any weapons and tools on her, and her family, friends, and community was still back there. What will she do?

Walter meets his nemesis
    Hearing the commotion outside, Walter got up, grabbed his stuff and activated Mr. Handy. He tried to move carefully in the little back ways, but came upon a group of some raiders led by... Rash Dan! a bottom feeder of his old gang, a sort of a sniveling yes man. They were surprised, Dan especially "You... You're dead!", "Not as dead as you're gonna be! Quaker here!?" But Dan wouldn't give a replay, and called the others to kill him, as he ran cowardly, clallign for his leader.

But Walter knew this back ways better, and managed to dodge the raiders, and came up with a machete to Dan's face, with Mr. Handy trying and failing (repeatedly) to produce cover fire. The other raiders hwoever called for Quaker as well (I thought the player wanted the chance of a face off) and so he ran up some buildings, and climbed a wall, wanting to have the element of a surprise.

And Quaker did come on his bike, with 2 other riders with him. Walter stood on the roof, like a one armed specter of vengeance from the past, and struck doubt and some fear to Quaker's heart, as he jumped on him with a roar! Only to be somewhat deflected by the armor he wore (Grade 1)

Walter for some reason imagined that Quaker will fight him one on one. Whatever gave him that idea? Quaker and the gang... ganged up on him, but quite surprisingly Walter and Mr. Handy took the burnt of it, and managed to fight back! It was quite a stand, but when Burt's Jenkins' message of defeat came, and when Walter conceded that he couldn't take Quaker that way, he broke off with the help of Mr. handy (4 arms to push the raiders back!) and ran between some houses where bikes would find it harder to pass. "Get him!" he heard Quaker curse as he drove towards the main meeting. 5 raiders decided to follow his trail.

We dealt with this like a contest as well, mainly using athletics and stealth, With Walter and Mr. Handy creating a few advantages to them. They finally managed to escape to the west, away from the meeting, facing the same conundrum as Jenny, only from a different direction.

Fight at the Merilyn
    Bob was on the lower floor, and quickly snuck out the window, , but not stealthily enough, gaining the attention of a few Vampyrs, a mogole and his hound. The madam got down to the lower floor, and gathered up her girls, and Barry and Mr. Bones (The Hudsons). As she opened the door she swa the big hoard coming, and so barricaded it. She sought to run, but since she's "protector of the unfortunatew" she decided to stay- She and the rest took cover behind the bar. Barry and Bones shot from the windows at a few Vampyrs, but then shouted- a big guy coming up!

Outside Bob proved to be a formidable warrior, killing 3 vampyrs in one exchange, and then rushing to the mogol and the moog hound. The doro of the Merilyn shook as something big struck it. And again, breaking it, revealing a big mutant, covered in metal armor stepping in.The madam and her girls focused fire on him, but his armor (Grade 1) blocked the few bullets that went through. He strode in towards the bar, and the madam suddenly saw someone else, in the open space outside the Merilyn, a figure in a black suit, and a face like a mirror.

The dark ones
    Spoiler
    Show

As s/he saw her, she felt her mind under attack, a feeling of despair, hopelessenss, a need to submit. A psychic attack! A heated discussion started in the group, of who to attack, but the madam called for her girlsto go into the basement, and barricade themselves with the rest of the delegation, as Barry and bones tried to kill the incoming Vampyrs. The madam? She shot the dark man, but his suit proved to be an even better armor than the mutant's! (Grade 2) It mocked her telepathically, and the mutant and him/ her attacked her physically and mentally.

Feeling overwhelmed, The madam tried using her better skilled, and faked succombing to the assaults and falling down. This was when Bob finished with his assailants, and came to the front of the Merilyn. seeing the dark one, he tried gettign at it, but it's vampyrs, like dogs, came to block him, with the mutant quickly joining. Bob came the new focus of physical and mental attack. His skills not withstanding the assault.

The madam tried to get up and attack the dark person again, and managed to hit it this time, when s/he unleashed a strong mental attack on her, finally wounding her (First minor consequence in this battle if you'd believe). With the urgent suggestions of the party, the madam ran from the back window as well, with Vampyrs following her. Bob decided to retreat as well, and intercepted those vampyrs, giving the madam some time to escape into the city.

Which is when Burt's message was heard. Bob, quite surprisingly for the rest, decided to surrender, and came to the mutant, who tied his arms. He was surprised when one of the hover crafts came, and another dark one and mutants disembarked from it. So it wasn't a singular dark one, but plural...

The madam used her connections to know a good hiding place in one of the hosues, and hid there, fearful and not knowing what will happen next.

This is where we ended this scene, and fate session. It may read short on computer, but this took us quite a few hours, most of the game really.

GM notes
    Spoiler
    Show
    This was the "up the ante" point of the campaign, where the real threat first shows it's face. This was 3 groups- vampyrs, an old threat. The raiders, a new threat, but a recognizable one. And lastly, the dark ones, a new threat, a mystery, and currently superior in equipment.

It may seem that I meant the twon to fall no matter what the party does. It's not so, I made it hard, but not impossible, and fully intended to urn with any interesting or clever ideas. No, it was not a fair situation, but I think the party had options, some of them they took.

I didn't plan for any specific outcome. I came with the ideas for the antagonists plan, and let the players mess with it.

About Quaker: I made him especially as despicable and amoral as I can. One "pure" evil enemy for our "paladin" to face comfortably. And it's quite fun to bash these guys out as well sometimes. Not all have to be the morally ambiguous, sympathetic fallen misunderstood former hero or such.

Observations
    Jenny came back in a wide circle to the north eastern hill out looking over the town, took out her binoculars (a survival gear consumable) and tried to scout. The situation didn't please her. The two hovercrafts were near the Jenkins manor, and she could see a lot of the town people ushered to D*ck's warehouse. She could see the armored mutants, about 4? 6? some had machine guns strapped to their back. She could see people dragging corpses too. Quite a few of the town died. She wondered about her brothers... she noticed small groups, of raiders or Vampyrs with mogols combing the town, house to house.

Jenny's player joked "Isn't this a golbin village?" It took me a moment to understand he was referring to a D&D adventure in Eberron, where msot of the party was captured, managed to escape and lots of fun ensued. I guess I'm starting to recycle.

On the exact opposite side of town Walter climbed on Grave Hill, and lay by Pa Jenkings grave, trying to scout the town, but noticing just the search groups. he tucked in and turned Mr. Handy down. wondering what to do.

The madam's flight
    The madam, hearing some voices outside, decided she has to run as well. However she was far less stealthy than the rest. Soon in the contest there was a tie, so we decided she bumped to Little John, one of the junior farmer. The player didn't quite understood the mechanical implications of this (An aspect that can be used for her or against her), and mostly considered him a burden. She tried to run with him, and got to soem cattle pens with a Vampyr track on her trail, with two wins to each team. The Vampyrs rolled well, so she used her last fate to invoke Little Johen's help, but it wasn't enough. She then invoked "Saviours of Littletown" and we decided that Littlejohn pushed her to a hiding place. "Yous saved use before, maybe you'll do it again!" he said as he ran at the other direction, drawing the vampyrs attention to him.

She didn't know if he was captured, or killed and eaten, but once there was silence again, she rose and fled west, and then to grave hill, meeting with Walter.

The town was overtaken, the rest dead, missing, or captured, she had no real gear, no vehicle, and the horror of the dark one was still fresh in her mind. This was turning out fairly bad.

The captives
    Bob was led to one of D*ck's mighty warehouses, along with some of the people, they were divided between the 3 warehouses. He tried to listen to the outside conversation, but dozed asleep. He did managed t osee D*ck brought in, unconscious. He got hit in the head. (Again, keeping him out of the picture. I also imagined that if anyone could do well without tools, and use his words to get himself out of trouble, it would be D*ck )

Bob noticed that people were taken out and brought back, and finally it was Bob's turn. He was brought to the Jenkins manor, where he saw Quaker sitting at a chair, his leg on a table, playing with a sharp knife, looking mightily amused. beside him were two dark ones, and a mutant. Quaker tried to question Bob, mostly as to the whereabouts of Walter, and the location of Michael and Rose, the two twins. Bob... answered truthfully (He still didn't know anything) but also quite philosophically, spiritually, monk-ishly. Frustrated, the Dark ones even attacked him mentally, trying to subjugate him, but noticed he... told the truth. (Empathy roll, no mind reading abilities) Quaker sighed disappointingly. "Too bad. I like to get the truth out of people. You know Walter? the preacher here? He displeased me. So I cut off his arm, slowly... I don't do subtle boy!" But there was some displeasure from the dark ones, so Bob was let back to the warehouse.

I just then noticed that I don't have anyone else for an interrogation scene. I didn't plan to play it for D*ck with his player gone. Meanwhile those scouting from the two hills, noticed some commotion in front of the Jenkins manor- Apparently some people were tied in a rope to 2 lines at the back of one of the hovercrafts, there were preparing to go somewhere.

Which is where we stopped the session. I couldn't decide it this prisoner convoy would include Bob and D*ck, or should they stay in town. I put it up to the party for us to think about it. (I intend also to try and run an interrogation scene with D*ck if possible, should be... interesting.)
    --------------------------------------------

So, One big event, a few personal choices, but the big events will unfold from now on I believe. I hope you enjoy the read!

1. Special projects:
    2. My campaign logs:

Thanks for reading!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

smile Re: Experiences in a post apocalyptic FATE core campaign- A GM's log

I have just spent the last few days reading this thread (sneaking it in when I can at work).

I have to say I like the writing and I am very grateful to Kol for the posts. It certainly has me interested in getting a copy of fate and trying a game. Please keep up the posts.

I too had to wonder in the sense of Irony as Mr Mighty showed his concern for people making plans behind his back
    Spoiler
    Show
    Milo - I know what you are thinking Ork, has he fired 5 shots or 6, well as this is a wand of scorching ray, the most powerful second level wand in the world. What you have to ask your self is "Do I feel Lucky", well do you, Punk.
    Galkin - Erm Milo, wands have 50 charges not 6.
    Milo - NEATO !!
    BLAST

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earthwalker View Post
    I have just spent the last few days reading this thread (sneaking it in when I can at work).

I have to say I like the writing and I am very grateful to Kol for the posts. It certainly has me interested in getting a copy of fate and trying a game. Please keep up the posts.

I too had to wonder in the sense of Irony as Mr Mighty showed his concern for people making plans behind his back
    Thanks Earthwalker! It's always great to hear feedback! We'll be playing this Saturday, though strangely enough our group has been very very quiet... Silence before the storm? Don't yet know, I'll update after we play. Bob's player may not be present, we still don't know. I'll need to think up something QUITE creative for Bobby here, or just let one of the party play it? The character is simple enough...

Again, thanks for the feedback. It's nice to know people are liking this.

1. Special projects:
    2. My campaign logs:

Thanks for reading!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Hey, just wanted to say I have enjoyed the log, and will continue reading. Interested in playing FATE now! xD

Thanks for posting all this!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

We played this Saturday, a bit of a shorter meeting, six hours or so. Lots of planning, and furious short bursts of fighting. I think I will cover it all in one post. Here goes!

Session 8- Striking back!
    So, a short recap: Bob and D*ck were captured, Jenny was on the north eastern hill, and the madam, Walter and Mr. Handy were on the south western hill. Littletown was captured, and it seemed like there was a slave chain being organized...

D*ck does what D*ck does best
    Talking with the player, we decided D*ck should wake and be led to an investigation. A lot could happen with that. He was less pleased when he was brought to the Jenkins meeting room, seeing Quaker Jones playing with a knife (Still bloody) and seeing Peter and Burt Jenkins laying crumpled in the corners, not looking well... ("Wait, you wanted me to negotiate with HIM?" *shrugs shoulders*)

Quaker had two of the black people with him. He leapt straight to the matter at hand. "You were with a party leading twin children to Rivertown, where are they?" D*ck stammered for a moment or two, and was immediately assaulted mentally by the blackman, bringing him to his knees. Thinking quickly, D*ck tried a different venue- if you can't beat them, join them (Or at least make them think you do) "Wait! No need for violence, I can help you!" and in order to pique their interest he added. "In fact I know of another of your kind? One that I would love to see... punished for what he did to me. We might have the same goals, no need for crass violence!"

Some in the party smiled, some in the party groaned. What followed next was a beautiful (if disturbing) "lie on your feet" fast talking. Quaker, not liking having his game taken from him tried to shake D*ck (Provoke attempts of his own. But D*ck put everything he could into standing up to him, gaining a mediocre of respect.

D*ck fabricated they did indeed brought the children to Rivertown, but that they were next transoprted to (insert some far away backwater location hard to reach). He also mentioned Snare, guessing enough to draw their attention (He guessed rightly that he betrayed them somehow), saying he was somewhere near Rivertown, but then disappeared. He tried to glean as much information from them, offering his services, his resources, his connections in Rivertown. The party's suspicions were affirmed when the black men mentioned they allready had some hold in Rivertown, and Quaker blurted out (D*ck succeeded with style) that he was expecting his payment of weapons in return for getting a hold of the microfusion station for "your New Horizon". Some in the party rolled their eyes. "We should have known as soon as he'll meet them, that he'll turn on us." The player tried to explain it was all a ruse, which some bought, but some weren't so sure...

He succeeded so well in fact, that the black men DID in fact consider making use of him! (He gained "Potential confidant of the black" aspect) but I couldn't figure out what they could require of him. (The player really surprised me with this turn of events). So I decided that since I don't know, Neither do they. "You'll join the convoy to meet with our leader, The General (Que BBEG), He may decided better what use of you. You'll go to the bad lands with them, they may inject you with something, take it. It will help you survive."

D*ck was said he could get his equipment back, except for his weapons. With a little bit more persuading he managed to allow him to use one of his beat up cars for the journey ("In case I'll need to go to somewhere quickly after meeting The General. Wouldn't want to detain you...") He'll have a mogol and two Vampyrs escorting him the entire time.

Well, that was an interogation which turned out different, wasn't it?

GM design
    Spoiler
    Show
    The idea behind the interogation scene (Which I though 1 or more characters may end up having) is to enable to portray the black suits, as well as Quaker in a non-combat manner. It was also a tough social scene, with a lot at stake in it.

Why did I put D*ck through it? A few reasons:
    - He was the only character captured who knew where the children are, and so only he had something to lose really.
    - He LOVES these kinds of situation, and turning them up. Which is EXACTLY what he did. As I've told him- "If there is anyone who can benefit from being interrogated and overpowered, it's you."

The slave convoy and preparations
    How would the party know of each other? They used the "survival gear" consumables to declare having radios (One for Jenny, one for Walter) and notified their positions. Walter, the madam and Mr. Handy made a long detour and joined Jenny.

Jenny in the meantime snuck to the closest house- That of Joe the Scavenger (One of the premade characters. appeared briefly once or twice). She met his mutt, and thenrummaged through his piles of garbage, but managed to just find a crappy pistol (would last one scene before breaking up) and a flare gun (survival gear). She tried to make friends with the sad whiny mutt, who agreed to join her. She got back stealthily enough to her hill, and met the others.

Just in time to see D*ck coming out of the interogation with his head up, escorted by a black person and a mutant. Walter cursed "He sold the town out! Look at him just turning colors!" But Jenny wasn't so sure. "D*ck wants this town more than all of us probably. This is some ruse, I'm sure of it!"

The convoy was assembling. Hovercraft in front, and two lines of slaves, 15 for each long rope. These included Bob, The Sheriff, one of Jenny's brothers ({"Damn it! They didn't escape!") and 2 of the madam's girls. ("Which ones? The good ones or the less good?") The party decided they must take down the convoy. It seemed to have 1 black person, 1 armored mutant with a machine gun, and about 3 mogols, and 10 vampyrs, including those guarding D*ck in his crummy car.

The Hovercraft was moving slow, towards the bad lands. They decided to follow till the convoy makes camp, and then try to strike using the lement of surprise.

Ambush and crash
    On the way D*ck tried conversing with the mogol, and gain some influence on him but failed. The party followed all day, till they saw the convoy starting to make camp. The prisoners were brought together, and the Mutant pulled out some metal bars and barb wire and was starting to make a fence.

Jenny snuck up a near by pile, aimed and... "Pow!" shot the black person. Her sniper rifle meant that she overlooked armor, and so she shot him/her/ it, taking down all the stress at once. Surprised, The black person dove into the hovercraft, trying to get the mogol inside to get it working. Jenny got one more shot before her location was discovered, as the mutant howled, and ran towards them with about 3 vampyrs and one mogol in tow. Jenny and the others tried to relocate quickly, but I compelled the madam who was "used to finer things", to delay. Jenny compelled herself by "got a lot to make up for" and stayed with her, ready to face the mutant. Walter tried to create an advantage by coming from another direction.

Meanwhile Bob seized the opportunity to squeaze off his bonds, and tried to sneak to the hovercraft, but failed and got to a fight with the other Vampyrs. D*ck then surprised everyone. He wanted to do something but the mogol and vampyrs would hinder him. So similar to the deal with Snare, he tried to trick them, but htis time failed. So he suggested a compel. "I drive into the hovercraft, taking all the damage, no dodging" Now that sounded cool enough, so he turned and ran his car INTO the hovercraft, cathcing the black man and the mogol inside by complete surprise. The attack was massive, and everyone died, the hovercraft nearly as well! (All stress taken out, as well as two consequences- Jenny's player was like "Noooooo! My precious hovercraft!") D*ck was also beaten nicely, using whatever other fate points he had to lower damage, suffering all stress and a minor consequence.

This kind of ended the fight, as the mutant suddenly shaked, and turned in a roar to attack the mogol and vampyrs! ("He was mind controlled, not working with them! Hey, did we just get a mutant?!") The battle was practically over, except for D*ck trying to extract himself from the wreckage, suffering a moderate consequence ("Burned") as well. D*ck turned to me "I hope everyone just saw that. I hope that for once, they won't think I'm just a traitor, ok?" It was said with jest, but it was a good point. The survivors thanked him greatly, the sheriff even going as far as "I don't normally get people wrong, but this time I think I did. And I'm glad at that".

GM design- Why was it so easy?
    Spoiler
    Show
    First of, it wasn't that easy- D*ck's crash solved a lot of things, but without some good rolls, he would have likely died or suffered severe or even extreme consequences.

Also, I don't have an arbitrary number of dark suits, mutants, vampyrs and so on. The forces that attacked Littletown are numbered, and so they divided their forces accordingly. This force was smaller, due to the raiders not able to go through the bad lands, and needing to maintain hold in Littletown.

And yes, I also made the convoy a "tough but winnable" challenge for the PCs, An opportunity to face a black suit in a more possible situation.

Loooot! (Oh, and info)
    The slaves were freed, hugs were shared, and so on and so on. The party had one HEAVILY damaged hovercraft, Which Jenny was able to get to a minimal working condition (I ruled that fixing it better would require a proper workshop). There weren't many weapons (3 mogols, and 2 of them in the wreckage), But the party did find a case with 35 ampules and injections. D*ck surmised these must be for the bad lands.

What about the black person? They managed to drag the remains from the hovercraft, and found out it wasn't a cyborg as they suspected, but something quite disturbing- it looked like a very, very old human being, the flesh and face shriveled, almost like a mummy. There was no hair, no eye lashes, almost like an undead. The party found a sort of a tablet in one of it's pouches, but the programs there seemed cyphered, and Jenny's skills weren't enough to decode it.

*Cough, mutant, cough?*, Yeah, they finally remembered him. He told them that the black people were trying to hunt them, taking over small groups of them, enslaving them. Usually each one controlled one, but they could control more, if less easily. They brought them their armor, weapons and such. HE could think and feel under the influence, but as if he was far away, like being hazy. He told they bring people to a fort in the bad lands, a big place, former military place, but he didn't know much, they usually just guard the outside or the walls. He couldn't navigate there by himself. He said he would help the party if they would help him free his people! They looked at his machine gun. "Um, yeah, sure!"

Decisions, decisions...
    The party then faced 2 big decisions: Do they go back to Littletown or do they go to Rivertown? (Had they deciphered the tablet they could have gone to Fort Lostral as well) And what do they do with nearly 30 people with no weapons in the middle on the wasteland?

A looooooong discussion ensued, With D*ck saying they should get to Rivertown first, thatthey couldn't take Littletown back on their own, Jenny and the madam wanted to get back to save the town, Jenny's remaining brother and the madam's girls. Bob? I'm not quite sure... He stayed silent through most of it. Walter's player was a bit pissed off at impossible decision and "this sandbox game". Perhaps I've been allowing TOO much options?

The discussion was long (and tiresome ), but in the end they decided to send Jenny's brother with the hovercraft and 9 more people in the hovercraft (how much it could handle) towards Rivertown with the corpse and suit of the black person, and the tablet. "Seek out Captain O'Riley, hand things ONLY to him, and demand that no one takes control of the findings, and that everything discovered will be discussed together!" They didn't know how much influence he could muster though... The rest- party, mutant, and about 20 people led by the Sheriff would go to Littletown.

And here I was thinking they could use the hovercraft and suit for some sort of trickery?

I love it when a plan comes together!
    (If you don't know the above quote, google it. The character it's associted with fits Jenny well in a way)

So they came to a few km out of town, and set out a small camp, letting the sheriff guard it. They knew they were facing great odds, and wanted to use the captives (who were strangely all fairly able bodied ) for added fire power. But for that they needed weapons. D*ck used his "drugs and arms baron" to declare (Costing a fate points) That he hid weapons in every hold he had in town (2-3 darms in town, and 1-2 other things). Walter declares that the dust storm from the day before (When Jenny rode on her bike) Was still in effect ("Dust season") I'm not sure that is how decleration works, but we went with it.

So, under the cover of dust, Jenny, Walter and Bob (who led) snuck into place after place (rather easily thanks to good rolls) and got about 13-15 weapons!, Now that enabled them to arm the people with some fire power. I decided these can be used for aspect or as a fire power of +1 for every 3 people (As not all had skills in shoot). Now what to do with them?

Time for more observation. This time they took their time. THey managed to gather there were about 30-35 raiders probably, about 15-20, 2-3 mogols and moog hounds, and by the reports of the mutant- 3 more black men and 3 more mutants. Oh, and Quaker of course...

The remaining hovercraft remained near the main gate of the Jenkins manor, and two mutants were guarding it nearly at all times. the raiders bikes were parked there too. one of the black people was coming out every some time from the manor, and entered the craft, checking something, then went back. There was a moog hound nearby as well. The forces were located mostly in the manor, and guarding the warehouses.

Now here another long discussion ensued. The party assumed that the big threats were Quaker, the black people, and Quaker. Also- they were VASTLY outnumbered... They needed something to tip the scale, and their idea was to take over the hovercraft. However, it was the mostly guarded... They needed a distraction, and a GOOD one. One idea was to take out 1-2 of the patrols outside, but the party assuemed (Correctly) that this will just alert the raiders, and will ruin the element of surprise. They needed to create a big enough threat to draw them out, and get close enough to get to the hovercraft in time.

There was a huge argument over this, with some saying this is a crazy idea (D*ck suggested getting to Rivertown again, Walter this time supporting him!) and there were any ideas thrown about. At the end they decided on this: Jenny will position on her hill, the mutant and 15 town people on the back slope. Meanwhile the rest will sneak as best they can close to the hovercraft landing. When one of the black people will get out, Jenny will take him/ her out, and will try to draw as many forces her way (Hopefully the bikers). The mutant and the town people will then come up and give fire strikes (A Hebrew term, not sure I'm translating correctly), and draw more people. The rest will try to seize the day and take the hovercraft, with D*ck driving, and cause mayham. One important request the mutant made though- No hurting the mutants! The party hesitated, this was a big one, but they agreed.

It's so crazy it just might work?

GM design
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's nice to know what are the objectives and general smarts of the defenders when coming up to this. The party now had the advantage of info and surprise. The forces of the raiders were small enough to not spread out in great patrols. Yeah, not the wisest, but this also gives the party more interesting choices, and some tactical thinking, which wouldn't be possible with big swooping patrols.

Putting the plan into action
    Ready... Set... Go... Under Bob's guidance, with the sheriff and Mr Handy in tow, the party managed to sneak to nearby houses well enough (Lucky bastards!) while Jenny waited with her sniper rifle, creating the "take careful aim" advantage. And soon after, a black person came out to check the craft.

One shot, one kill! The black person was dead, and it's mutant shook free from control, and started beating on the other mutant. Soon quite a lot of mess followed. Jenny show another mogol, and a biker before she was found out, and people started pouring her way, in waves! Meanwhile the party saw the remaining 2 black people come near the opening, along with quaker. With a sudden rush, the uncontrolled mutant was once more in control, and started rushing towards Jenny as well. The black suits and Quaker were out of sight for Jenny, and the rest discussed quickly what to do.

Things were quickly decided for them, as the black suits rushed and entered the hovercraft, the remaining mutant with them. The party then as one (nearly) focused their fire (with aimed shots) against the remaining target- Quaker! Thye took out 9 out of his 10 stress outright! (Numbers and suprise are REALLY important at FATE!) while Bob rushed between vampyrs, remaining raiders and such INTO the hovercraft, and then using "crazy kung fu" (a stunt) attacked the two black men, taking one outright with a few well placed fate points.

The wave approaching Jenny was met by a surprsing armed line of angry town folk and a big mutant, mowing them down quickly. Meanwhile, a mutant hwo's black master was just killed by Bob turned on the rushing Vampyrs with a roar, starting to fight them! Things were looking up!

And despite my attmpts they kept looking up. Quaker tried to fight, and then run, but the party bunched up advantages on... the madam, who shot him in the neck as he tried to drive away. (With Walter shouting "Shot in the back by an entertainer!") and while Bob faced some heavy mental onslaught, He was able to crush the last of the black men. One of the mutants died to Vampyrs, but enough damage was done, including gaining the hovercraft and killing all the leadership that the opposition was thoroughly vanquished!

Little town was saved! (Again, I know...) D*ck's player was a bit stunned "This is the first time a plan of us actually worked without a hitch!"

GM design- too easy?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Credit where credit is due- the plan was GOOD! Surprise and numbers mean a lot in FATE. The party managed to sneak up close enough, which was their main weak point. I tried to complicate things by getting the black suits inside the craft, but Bob is indeed the sneaky acrobatic ninja he wishes to be, and a good placement of FATE points can work marvels.

In short- the party did good. They worked well individually and together, a virtual A-Team! I saw no way to mess up with them that makes sense, and they did indeed deserve this win.

Stats for the various attackers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quaker Jones
    Superb: Shoot Great: athletics, Ride Good: provoke, Physique, Will Fair: Rapport, notice, fight, deceive OOOO, OOOO

Aspects: "Always an opportunist", "No morals, no worries", "See, Want, Take", "Rule by fear", "The dark is my ally"

Stunts: Called shot, pedal to the metal, tough as nails, heavy armor

Equipment:Heavy armor (grade 1), Shot gun, bike (grade 1)
    Consumables: Stim pack, better ammo, gas

Raiders (44) (10 bikers, 2 trucks for 6 people each)
    Athletics, ride +2, shoot, fight +1
    "In it for the loot!", "Fear us!", "punks and hooligans" O

Black suits soldiers(4)
    Good: Provoke Fair: Athletics, will Average: Empathy, craft, shoot, OO (armor 2)

Aspects: Loyalty to the "General", "Submit before my will!" "We live to serve"

Stunts: "Mind attack" can attack mentally, causing submission through provoke, can be used in battle.
    "Joined minds": Overseers who see each other, can link their mental skill for "mob effect".
    "Control" A creature downed by mind damage might be taken under an overseer's mental command. For each 1 beyond the first, provoke is decreased by 1. Can try to wrestle out of control once per day, with will

Equipment:
    Equipment: Shadow survival suits (Grade 2)- +1 stealth at night, +2 to survive effects of wasteland, +2 armor.
    Repair parts of survival suit x2, rad away x2,

Mind Fists Controlled mutants (4 )
    Good: Fight/ shoot Fair: Physique, Athletics Average: Will, ride

Aspects: "Mind controlled", "Seeking freedom", "Big strong muties"

Stunts: "Strike hard!" Once per scene do 2 more damage on a hit., heavy armor, some may have Machine guns/ rocket launcher
    Equipment: Grade 1 armor, possibly machine guns/ rocket launcher (In current group 2 have machine guns)

Vampyrs (42) and mogols (8+ 5 moog hounds)
    You know these allready

Armored hover craft (2)
    "Slow but sure"
    "weak hover ring"
    "one sided protection"

Skills:
    Good: Shoot
    Fair: Athletics, will, Drive.
    Average: craft

Stunts
    Grade 3:, 3 armor OOO, can take 2 consequences: minor, moderate
    Machine gun: can spend a fate point to shoot all targets in a zone without dividing shifts
    Unload troops: the armored vehicle can unload 1 blacksuit, 1 mindfist , 1 mogol, 4 vampyrs as it's action once in a scene.

After math
    The prisoners were saved, ("None of my girls are in too bad a shape? They can work?") and Dr. Cross tended (finally) To D*ck's wounds and burns. The party now had 1 fully functional hovercraft, 3 mutants (thougho nly one with a machine gun), the town's gratitude, and another Tablet in their disposal.

And with the help of Dr. Cross they were able to decipher it! They found a few interesting things:
    - a detailed map of the badlands, including A place called Fort Lostral. (The pharmacist in our group laughed- it's a medication. I'm a med student, and apparently it just stuck to me from some studies).
    - The map went more north, until it was cut by what looked like an artificial line, called "The great wall" ("Wait, we're in china? Do we have slanted eyes?" )
    - There were some weapon design, energy weapons, similar to that of the sheriff, but different.
    - Another energy design, of some sort of laser turret, a bit like that used by... Ma Jenkins?!

The party came to a conclusion that they ARE the defacto leaders of Littletown, as it seemed the Jenkins were very incapable of keeping it safe. They decided to talk over emails to decided what it means.

And with that the scenario ends! They had some ideas what skill they will enhance, but no final decisions. Well, except for the madam. She liked the idea of psionic attacks, and so we talked and said that the late psionic attacks awakened a latent psionic talent in her, so now she can attack with provoke in battle. Not that elegant a development, but I try to work with my players wishes.
    ------------------------------------
    So here the sessions ended. When I began the scenario I didn't know where it will end, except that the party needs to come to some sort of an approach for Littletown, and the general situation. And it went around quite interestingly.

I have various moves and powers in the game now (Most are fairly known to a degree by this point), but I don't quite know where this will lead, or what will be the next scenario exactly. A few more thoughts about the scenario:
    - After the previous one dealing mainly with social situations, I think I went a bit too far and taken it to more combative situations. This was liked by most of the party, but the madam's player felt somewhat left out in the last session (I understood this only near the end of the session unfortunately). I may need to find ways to enable more of each type. Usually I do this, but trying to run FATE and also a "sort of" a sand box complicates things for me, which leads me to:
    - Some of our discussions, in this scenario and previous scenarios take up A LOT of game time, and at times end up tiring and frustrating. This may be due to giving to open ended situations. I'm a firm believer in choices, but perhaps I've given too much choice? Walter's player was quite frustrated at this this session.
    - The grade system works nicely. Even the black suits with their grade 2 armor were within reach of capable characters. The players like the survival gear consumables most so far. We'll see how they like the maintenance roll at the start of the next scenario.

Ok, long enough post, but hopefully not too long. I have no idea where we're going from here, a lot of it will be up to the party. We'll play next Saturday, possibly with D*ck's player missing (Unfortunately... ) I hope you're enjoying this!

1. Special projects:
    2. My campaign logs:

Thanks for reading!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Banned

Awesome. Hopefully they choose to let the Jenkins stay at least in charge of some part of Littletown. It's not good to have the adventurers tied up in the day-to-day operations of the place!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scow2 View Post
    It's not good to have the adventurers tied up in the day-to-day operations of the place!
    Lol, that is exactly their concern. They are trying to decide WHO exactly will be their "representative" in the town.

1. Special projects:
    2. My campaign logs:

Thanks for reading!

13. - Top - End - #73

SwashbucklerGuy

Once again thank you the continuing adventures.
    I do like watching the PC's getting knocked down to see them get back up again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Milo - I know what you are thinking Ork, has he fired 5 shots or 6, well as this is a wand of scorching ray, the most powerful second level wand in the world. What you have to ask your self is "Do I feel Lucky", well do you, Punk.
    Milo - NEATO !!
    BLAST

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Glad you like it Earthwalker!

Between session 8 & 9- Where to next?

1. Plans and information
    Our group has been quite a buzz since the last meeting. I told them that the next scenario will depend much on what they choose to do next. They have enough hooks and things to deal with- Little town's shaky situation, Snare, the children, and the infiltrators in Rivertown, the black suits, the mutants displaced and enslaved, and of course- Fort Lost.

They basically said they have 3 big options:
    1. Fortify and protect Littletown from future attacks.
    2. Go to Rivertown to get information and supplies to the Journey to Fort Lost (Which is in The Bad Lands (TM) which is a heavily radiated area).
    3. Go straight to Fort Lost before their success in Littletown gets known.

The players got into many tactical thinking here (Which is what we are often prone to do), But I tried to make it a more... FATEy kind of decision, telling them simply to think that if this was an interesting movie- what would be a cool scenario to play out next.

They kind of all said- "Go to Fort Lost and kick some black suits' ass!"

I gave them some of the following information (Copy pasted from an email). Awww crap. It's in Hebrew. I'll need to translate the basics:
    - They all have a radiation stress track (3 boxes), but the stress can only be healed by medication that takes away stress (Like rad away). They currently have about 13 radaway (taking 2 stress each) and about 80 ampules for the wasteland (increasing the resistence test by 1 for 1 day).

- travel through the bad lands will have them "attack" the character with radiation every some time. Usually about once a day or two days. (Thanks Fate Fractal) Mutants and misbigotten seem somewhat immune or resistant to the radiation... The suits of the black people seem to offer some serious protection as well (But learning how to use the suit costs a stunt). Travel to Fort Lost will probably take about 10-14 days through the badlands, and a few more days in a not radiated area.

- The bad lands are dangerous not only for the radiation, but also for strange phenomena and all kind of mutated creatures.

- The mutants say that Fort Lostral is a small fort, with walls and such, a top a small mountain. They know that there are at least 10 blacksuits there, but also that they have ranks, and the ones the party met so far are mostly soldiers. The fort has a big courtyard with some facilities, but then leads into the mountian in two big tunnels (They also mention some collapsed tunnel) The mutants have never been inside. There are supposed to be some automated defense there, but the mutants never seen it in action. A lot of the fort seem dormant for some reason.

- There are Vampyrs and mogols at the location, but not that many. They are often sent abroad with more unique Vampyrs (Like Dr. Marlo). Quite a few tribals have been brought in though... none got out.

The party deemed this difficult, and thought of maybe to go to Rivertown for a few ventures before. I deemed the following:
    - Talking to the various factions and getting some support and perhaps some info and such shouldn't take a lot, a scene or two perhaps.

- Finding Snare and getting more info from him (He knows A LOT), finding the Black suits operatives in Rivertown, might take quite more time, possibly a Scenario.

- Bob's player suggested a cool idea- to try and find some way to counter or overcome the mental powers of the blacksuits! I deemed that this indeed was worth a scenario, as it was a major undertaking with no real dealing with the subject in the setting. It would mean I'd have to plan something from Scratch, but I was willing to!

The party is still leaning towards just going straight for the Fort, take an advantage of the surprise. (They fear that going to Rivertown would alert the Blacksuits' informant) They are contemplating whether to take other people with them (Sheriff, Doctor Cross, mutants). The debate is still ongoing

2. GMing challenges
    The following scenario and game session presents a few challenges:
    A) This may be the last scenario! At least if they go to Fort Lost. It isn't going to be easy by a long shot to take down the general, but the party has a habit of surprising me. I need to plan for an interesting potentially final scenario. It needs to have suprises, twists, interesting choices, and quite a bit of difficulty without killing them entirely.

I have some vague ideas, but haven't written or finalized them down yet. I have this night to do that, so... yeah, gonna be an interesting night.

B) D*ck's player isn't attending. Now this is not good, especially if this is the final scene, but he is aware of it. I really expected them to go to Rivertown first. Our decision to play with a player missing comes to nearly always be between two players... We may need to rethink this.

C) The madam's player's worries me. In the last session with all the tactical discussions she sat aside, and was somewhat overwhelmed. I don't want this to happen now. I need to plan for things to be far more cinematic.

D) Back up: What if they end up going to Rivertown still? (Perhaps they'll think Fort Lost is not that easy to approach) Yeah, some vague plans for that as well, but not finalized. I hope to finish in time. Thankfully, FATE seems immensely easy to work with. If this was D&D I would probably needed A LOT more time, and may have had to postpone the meeting.

So, I just wanted to let you know. Tomorrow is going to be a VERY interesting meeting I believe. I'll update next when the time allows me.

Time to get jamming!

1. Special projects:
    2. My campaign logs:

Thanks for reading!

15. - Top - End - #75

GnomeWizardGuy

Been loving the updates. As a primarily DnD player, it's gotten me really interested in more story based systems. Keep up the good work!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Glad you liked it! We played another session this Saturday, our final session for this arc! D*ck's player unfortunately couldn't join. (he was missed), but I believe it was a blast anyway. We started a bit late due to the madam's player coming a bit late due to some health issues (She is fine, no worries), so we used the time to talk about what we'll do next. But I'll get to that after I detail the session, first things first, right? So without further ado, I give you:

Session 9, Final Session, first part- Into Fort Lost!

Last time the party just managed to take out the raiders, Vampyrs and black suits that took over Littletown, and in the process found out their secret base (TM), deep in the radiated Bad Lands. The party discussed what route to take- whether to go and get help and info from Rivertown, or to strike when the iron was hot, and use the surprise element to go for Fort Lost.

They chose the second option! (I had planned for both, since they often change their mind. This time they didn't).

Preparations
    Ok, first- what resources did the party have? I summed it as follows:
    4 black suits, 3 mutants (1 machine gun), 1 hover craft, 80 ampules, 13 radaway, 9 motorcycles, 1 heavy armor grade 1, 3 stim packs, 2 better ammo, 8 repair parts for suits, 4 survival gear.

On top of that they had their acquisition and maintenance rolls (They used some acquisition to buy spare parts, and so succeeded with everything). They got some more gear, with D*ck putting in the heavy price to get the Hovercraft up and running for the scenario (D*ck was mostly played by Jenny's player).

What about the black suits though? Jenny decided to trade one of her stunts for the black suit, which protected against harm (Armor 2), plus greatly helped against radiation. Walter and D*ck also too those stunts, as it was an obvious benefit at this point. The madam couldn't due to taking her psychic attack stunt (plus it would ruin her style) And Bob? He didn't trust technology.

Black suits
    Spoiler
    Show
    considering this was an the end of the arc, and that maintenance might not be played out, this was a VERY powerful stunt, but they quite earned it, and it fitted the situation really well.

Next was the issue of Littletown. They ended up choosing 3 people to take care of it while they were gone- The Sheriff, One of the Jenkins and... There was a big discussion whether the third would be of ****'s people or not. Walter was really against it. I played D*ck as playing offended after all he had done for Littletown, but relented it, "not wanting to cause any tension" in Littletown, not now.

Last thing, a Hover craft can hold 10 people. One mutant joined them, the one they rescued first (They called him Jim), which counted for 2 people. They added Dr. Cross (who came tentatively, not exactly one for adventure) Joe the Tracker for his survival skill, and... Craig and Sarah Jenkins, two geezer redneck Jenkins whom I added, who were decent with the shotgun, and always argued between themselves, and cursed each other. Their aspects were "I love this Sh*t!" and "Ain't going nowhere without you!" The party loved them instantly, and they became quite the humerous break throughout this session!

Jenny and Walter rode on Jenny's bike, the rest in the hovercraft. Time to face the Bad Lands.

Journey through radiation, and unexpected allies
    The journey through the badlands was to take about 10-14 days depending on how well they did on their challenges, with the radiation "Attacking" them every so often (?Usually about once every 2 days), on a separate radiation stress track, which didn't reset unless radaway was used.

They faced several challenges composed out of ride, survival and notice. They managed all of them with some advantages and stacking skills by mob rules and such. The radiation however didn't do them good. The madam fared the worst, but nearly everyone took some radiation damage. The suits proved great help, but they allready started burning Radaway, not willing to risk consequences os early in the journey.

Jenny's skills took them "ahead of schedule" (Two successes with style), which saved them from one more challenge and radiation attack, before they reached... Fort Lost.

As they saw the big fort in the distance, they were suddenly attacked by... Misbigotten? Walter quickly ended the battle, calling them and drawing on their "favor of King Harry". Th violence stopped, and the confused misbigotten who sought to ambush a lone hovercraft of "the black plague", came to talk to the party. Long story short, the party managed to convince them to supply cover fire and diversion.

What was the plan? To go into the fort under the guise of black suits, and then attack from inside. They knew there were 3 black suits and mutants on the walls, and that there may be some automated defense systems, and that the main courtyard was supposed to be empty, with two tunnels leading inside to an underground fort.

Ok, time to put plans into motion!

GM notes- travel through the Bad Lands
    Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't quite know how to do it well, and I think the target numbers ended being too low (3 or 4 for most tests), as they passed it without a glitch. The idea was something of the sort of "random encounters" if they failed a challenge: roll a d6 and-
    - "Red dust": (Lore 3)- Notice 2, survival 3, Physique/ athletics3. If caught in storm then malfunctions sophisticated gear. Physique 3 against the red dust for breath and radiation.
    - Misbigotten raiders: 16 of them. Athletics, survival +2, shoot, fight, physique +1 O, 2 with rocket launchers.
    - Lost: Try to find next day Survival up by 1.
    - 2 Murder hounds: Attack +4, athletics, physique +3, shoot +2, survival +2 spit: shoot from 1 zone away, if hit, secondary +2 radiation damage. Armor :1
    - "Burn zone" heat waves come, and then lash out with radiation 3 waves of radiation 2
    - Hover craft patrol (As in hover craft)

Yeah, not exactly imaginative... In a way I'm glad we just ended up skipping through it. It didn't add that much to the game.

Now entering Fort Lost!
    As the Hovercraft (with the ones without suits inside, hidden) and the motorcycle with Jenny and Walter approached, the black suits came to the main gate, overseeing it from their position on top of the wall. Suddenly they all felt a psychic wave, asking a question "Why so late? Why Alone?"

It was then they remembered no one can speak telepathically. Um, almost no one- I allowed the madam to respond through her stunt. She stammered a bit, but made a plausible lie, strengthened by her "expecting the worst" aspect. Thankfully, that was just enough. "The general would like to know how the battle of the power source went, go report to him".

The gate opened at they entered into a big courtyard. To the left were some greats plastic sheets covering... something low lying . To the right was some sort of a storage house, and a small hanger for some hover crafts.

D*ck called with his radio to the misbigotten "Ok, open fire!" As the misbigotten started shooting, the party turned and opened fir from the back on all three blacksuits, killing them all! (Good rolls, surprise, and support fire). The mutants got free, but only for a moment. The party felt some sort of a powerful psychic influence taking control of them again. "Must be the general!" Shouted Walter, as the mutants turned on them, with Jim the mutant shouting "No! Fight my brothers! Fight!"

But things were getting worse- Two turrets, much like the one Ma Jenkins used long ago, rose from contraptions in the wall. "Get Inside! We're right in the open here!" Jenny shouted, and they all bolted for the left tunnel (They knew the right one was used to lead slaves in). I compelled the madam with "accustomed to finer things", so she didn't run fast enough, and Jenny decided she "had a lot to make up for" and covered her, taking the fire from the turrets.

Slight injuries, but they were inside. Walter was a bit perplexed though. On his way he glanced to the hovercraft hanger, and saw a small regular truck there. There was no time to contemplate though, they ran inside.

GM notes
    Spoiler
    Show
    From here on onwards the Fort acts as a sort of a planned but generally free flowing simple dungeon crawl of a sort. A lot of place was left for the character to improvise. For example their running in and not facing the forces outside. They missed things here and there, but they weren't critical. It was obvious everything will go balistic at the start of gunfire.

To make this place a bit more special, I added some effects to thew location. One of them that the party faced was that the mutants could not be entirely freed (Unless the party does something, mentioned later) and that the psychic power of blacksuits is stronger (4 instead of 3) due to the same reason.

There are more

Not out of this yet!
    They ran into a big room, apparently a welcome room to the Ancient Fort. A message was in big faded letters on a big board on the wall: : "Welcome to Fort Lostral, our hope to the future- physics and biology sciences combined! The fore front of research, for a better new tomorrow! Please wear your rad tags at all times. Authorization to the lower levels by higher personal only. We thank you for your cooperation!" The place seemed to run on very low lights, very little power. Jenny wondered that she saw more than 2 turret mounds outside, but only two activated...

The message. really seemed to shake the madam's player. and as if to prove the point, the radiation affected the party again. Apparently the place was more readily radiated than the badlands. "We need to hurry!" said Jenny.

As if to echo her warning, 3 black suits came from a corridor, this time ready. Walter, Jenny and D*ck manage to kill 1, and the madam attack the last one psychically anothe,r nearly killing it. The 2 remaining attack her forcefully with their minds, but Walter helps her ("We shall overcome stunt")And she manages to survive the stress. They manage to kill the rest quickly as they hear the 3 mutants from the walls coming for them. They hear the heavy footsteps of mutants coming from another corridor.

They rush forward, and Jenny sees a door labeled "barracks", and hears some commotion inside. Seeing an electronic lock pad by the door, she manages to use her burglary skill to jam it, and close the door on the few black suits coming up!

They run even further, when D*ck sees an entrance to a mess hall, and tells them to rush deeper into the fort. He stands there, in his black suit and stands down the 6-7 mutants coming at him. He stands imperiously and with a confident commanding flourihs points into the mess hall. (Not wishing to talk and not having a psychic power). His show is so good, the mutants are taken by it, and rush to the mess hall. D*ck turns tail and runs towards the others. He bought them some time, but not a lot of it...

The party got sickened by another surge of radiation. The radaways were starting to worry the party.

Settling an old score
    The party comes to a dead end, with 3 doors. One is labeled "Storage", another "Workshop", and the last is big and secure labeled just "Autherized personal only". Jenny thinks to check the workshop, but they have no time. With the help of tech-hating-Bob they unlock the lock pad to the big door, but Jenny hears some rustle inside "We got company, prepare!"

And so they are not taken by surprise, but they are surprised to find 4 black suits wielding... plasma rifles?! The mystery becoems clear when the voice of Torrent Hudson comes clear "You fools! We allready brought him the child! You can't stop progress! Why fight them, they will bring us great advancement, progress, lead us to a better world!" With him and his 3 men were also 2 more regular blacksuits in a small corridor.

Brother Walter raised his gun. "I thought there was hope for you Torrent, Guess you'll die by a Hudson made gun!". D*ck tried to undermine the Hudson' men confidence, but Hudson had loyal people. An automated Turret came from the ceiling, and battle was joined!

Bob rushed and gave an incredible jump, and kick, and smashed the "evil evil tech!" down with one blow! Startled, the Hudsons shot at him, burning almost all of his stress away, mostly due to great luck! (Bad luck would have him as ashes on the floor).

Walter (almost) makes good on hos promise, and shoots Torrent a deadly shot, shattering his knee (Moderate consequence) Don't remember) with the help of Mr. Handy. Sarah and Craig manage to shoot him in the foot ("Bah! Never liked those stifled Hudsons!") While the madam launched a deadly psychic attack, killing one of the black suits instantly!

Jenny shoots the other mooks, while Walter continues to shout insults ("You wil ldie as a traitor to human kind!") and shoots his carotid. Torrent is now crippled and gasping for life. The rest keep exchanging shot, and Bob closes to melee range with the mooks, making it hard for them to shoot him. Jenny hears the mutants coming, and turns away to jam the lock pad again, just in time as they come roaring, getting blocked by the closed door.

The battle is one sided from that point, and they manage to kill all, except on hudson mook who throws down his gun and begs for life! Walter Comes closer, and raises the gun to Torrent "How does it feel to see your dream fall apart?" And puts a cap in his head. Jenny rushes to the other side of the corridor, who connects to the other hald of the compound, and jams it too before the mutants come.

They were safe, for now... They found a few more radaway, which were crucial since another radiatio nwave struck, and many puked or were quite ill. These were starting to run low...

GM notes- battle with Torrent Hudson
    Spoiler
    Show
    The idea was to close a loose end, and also hint that the power of the children is now in the General's hands. Also, it enabled some exposition. I thought they would try to take Torrent alive, but a mook will do too!

Some info and other stuff
    The corridor had 2 more doors: One to a Boardroom, and another to an elevator that went down. But first there was a prisoner. Jenny and Walter manage to frigthen him (as if he needed any more frightening) so He spilled what he knew- Torrent and a few more were contacted by the Blacksuits, to provide them easy access to Rivertown and act as their eyes when the time needs, in return for schematic for superior weapons (Plasma rifles), who just came into production after gaining access to some high power capacitors (Rings a bell? Check the second adventure). This General (whom the mook never met, just knew he lived on a lower level) promised many more technologies in return.

Miss Diamond found out of the presence of the twins in Littletown from Jenny, and so sought to sell the juicy info to the highest bidder, who turned up to be Torrent. He got the kids, and brought one here, and kept another to bargain with. Michael was taken down to the General quite some time ago...

Walter and Jenny again threatened the man to assist them, and try to save the children with them, or else they would make sure his family and all Hudsons would suffer for this! They managed to get a new mook and then... completely forgot about him till the end of the session!

Safe for now, and with this new info, they hunted for more info, which meant- Boardroom. A quick investigation revealed the following:
    - "The Great Process": a project to gain more troops, to scour the land for the missing children, the traitor, and a power source for... "New Horizon"?
    - The current microfusion power plant is barely working. Need a new power source, or repair parts.
    - The lost children may help regenerate "the stasis"
    - The psychic amlifier is degenerating, might be maddned.
    - Modifications to the General are complete!
    - New Horzion finally built. Power is insufficient to go over the Great Wall, but possible for nearer locations. Need a better power source.

With more info, but more confusion the party contemplated. And another radiation pulse struck. They understood that the longer they waited, the worse it will become. They had to move on!

And there was only one way to go- down down into the depths of Fort Lostral.
    ----------------------------------------
    At this point it was getting late, So I asked the party "Do you wish to go on? We can finish this, but it will take a few hours". They decided to go for it! We replensihed FATE points, and moved on. In the next post, hopefully in the next couple of days...

1. Special projects:
    2. My campaign logs:

Thanks for reading!

17. - Top - End - #77

SwashbucklerGuy

/jabs Kol with a stick.

Write quicker. I need to know what happened next.

/keeps jabbing Kol.

This all seems to be building up well for a final confrontation with the General. Its a shame Mr Mighty was not available for the session. Again thanks for writing these up they are great. I am so going to be trying to run something in fate in the future.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Milo - NEATO !!
    BLAST

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earthwalker View Post
    /jabs Kol with a stick.

Write quicker. I need to know what happened next.

/keeps jabbing Kol.
    Stop jabbing him in his typing arm!
    Aim for his leg. Or the back of his head.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, ok! Stop poking me! Such meanies!

Session 9, Final Session, second part- Depths of Fort Lost, The amplifier, The General

As the party left the first floor, let me just recount that there are a few things they didn't get to do on the first floor:
    - Save some tribals from being transformed, gaining their help.
    - Some more info from the labs.
    - Shutting down the damaged microfusion plant, which powered the auto turrets all through Fort Lost
    - Get some mroe equipment (Rad away and such) From different locations.
    - Learn aspects of things they'll meet down below from various locations.

But time was ticking, and so our heroes descended down, down, down... Ding! Lowest floor...

The core
    As they came to the lowest floor and stepped out, they could feel the radiation here was more intense. There were two directions- "TO the core" and "To the Launch pads". The party rushed to the core.

The corridors were in much worse shape than the upper level- far less lights, debris and fallen pieces. They assumed there must have been some earth quake here. They reached a pair of massive reinforced doors, labeled plainly "Nuclear core", which were further reinforced by some protective sheet, and with lots of warnings. A huge radiation wave came upon them, and nearly all were quite sick to their stomach, the madam suffers a minor consequence- peeling skin burn, but the doc helped her some after taking some radaway.

The party thought of perhaps to open the core and sabotage it to blow the place down (Jenny's idea), but the rest weren't quite thrilled to suicide yet. ("Really? So why did you come here exactly?!"). The rest of their way was blocked by debris, so they turned around. I could see Jenny's player thinking about this still...

Why the core?
    Spoiler
    Show
    There were a few reasons for putting the core here:
    - To give more justification and a source to the growing radiation levels.
    - In Fallout 1 tradition, any big base needs a way of being destroyed without meeting the boss.
    - I was worried how far they'll get with the radiation. The core enabled a "lesser" victory.
    - Also, it was important for something... later.

Had they opened the door to the malfunctioning nuclear core, they would have been attack by a radiation attack of 8, and then again every exchange after. The core itself demanded a challenge of 5 for lore, burglary and lore. Failures would do... interesting things

The Psychic amplifier
    The party came to a cross roads, fought and destroyed two turrets, and then were faced with a choice. To their right there was a short corridor, and a big unmarked door. To their left another short corridor, and another door, labeled "Robotics" and in front of them was a long continuing corridor leading to the "Launch Pad".

They chose Robotics first, deciphered the electronic lock pad, and went in, seeing a confusing mess of robotic arms, turret parts and more. They decided not to investigate as it would probably mean suffering more radition, and turned to the other door.

It led to a big cave, very tall, with 3 ramps, one after the other at the end of the room, leading to it's top. And at it's top? The ceiling was covered by a slimy huge web of... flesh, eyes, and other such lovely parts, spread all over the ceiling. And it talked to them, mocked at them, laughed at them with it's powerful psychic power. "So strong, yet so weak? You here to end me? hahaha! We shall end you!" (If you want an image think of a huge gibbering mouther from D&D spread all over the ceiling like a very thin web, or... The Master from Fallout 1, spread the same).

On the high platform were 2 blacksuits, and on the middle there were 3 mutants. Battle was joined! Bob understoon he must reach the web (The psychihc amplifier) and started running and climbing platforms. The mutants rushed at him and tried to attack him and stop him, mostly hindering his progress. "Mr Handy! Cover fire!" The robot turned his sensors up.. "Where?" ANd fired aimlessley. A few bullets hit a few strands of flesh, but with no significat affect. Jenny shot and killed one black suit, while D*ck tried to look up and see any vulnerabilities but rolled poorly.

Now this is when things turned quite messy. The madam tried to lash at it with her psychihc power, but it was strong! (Will 5) When it attacked them, it could attack 3 using a fate points, and lashed at Bob, Jenny and the madam. The madam and Bob take 4 psychic damage, and Jenny nearly succombs, when Walter strenghtens her resolve ("We shall overcome" stunt), enabling her to suffer some stres, but still stand. If they didn't get to it quick, it would kill them without much difficulty. Frustrated D*ck kills the other black suit.

Walter tried to shake it's resolve "This place is like a prison! They are using you, abusing you, let it all go, go free!" trying to use the "AMplifier degenerating" aspect they learned before, but it answered to him with multiple angry voices. "nothing! nothing! nothing! Nothing!" I did my best to play this, which... worried some of the players. (Not too much, they know me by now. Um, the madam doesn't...)

Jim turns and shoots the other mutants. "Sorry brothers! For the others!" Jenny joins him. Bob tries to use the momentum to run past, but the mutants stop him. The amplifier attacks again, And Bob and the madam take consequences, despite Bob using "Harsh survival in a post apocalyptic world". Walter uses "Bringing faith to a faithless world" to strengthen Jenny once more. They are NOT well, but it's the last time the amplifier can attack them all (No more Fate points).

Bob is struck by the futility of it all. His whole struggle against technology was pointless- it was always stronger, more powerful. What was he? and the madam just felt the "This is the day I will die. I will die here in this hell hole. This is the day I will die". D*ck just rolled his eyes and shouted at them "Snap out of it! It ain't over yet!" and shot a mutie dead.

It's not enough to let Bob pass though, and the party focuses fire on the last mutants to enable him to go on, except for Jenny, who feels there must be something else they can do. A successful notice roll later, she spots some grey dark clusters near the corners of the room. The party shoots at these squishy targets as Bob runs and climbs, being stricken by the amplifier, filling his last consequence, before he jumps and rips the web from place! With the shooting of the cluster this enables one last psychic death shriek before the amplifier dies. They are victorious, but disheartened, and most are close to dying from mental stress. Jim Brightens though "I can feel a presence, gone from my mind..." The rest of the party feel a suddenly change too.

The Amplifier
    Spoiler
    Show
    This was a sort of a "second in command". The party didn't have to kill it, but it meant that muties that were now freed from black suits control, remained freed. Also their mental attack was 1 point weaker. In FATE that is a BIG deal!

Stats you ask?

Amplifier:
    Room aspects: "Climibing up hill", "ceiling net.", "darkness"
    Amplifier aspects: "Degenerated mind", "Many trying to be one", "loyalty to the general", "Powerful empath"

Provoke, will, empathy +5, OOO
    Stealth 3 for 3 clusters. Each has defense 0, can take OO damage, causes 5 damage to Amplifier.
    stunts:
    - Small threads target: For bullets it's like athletics 6. In melee it's 2
    - Can use fate points to attack 3 targets without splitting it's dice.
    - Unreachable: need athletics 4 from middle platform to reach it. Need athletics 2 from highest platform.

Clues in the robotics factory.
    The party tries to starts healing the stress damage. The Doc, Walter and D*ck tries their various method with Bob and the madam. The ysucceed with her (Started healing the moderate and minor consequences) but fail greatly with Bob, Except with his minor consequence.

Sensing this place is a bit more radiation resistent, all stay here except for Walter and the doc who feels they must discover more about what they'll face, and choose the only place to do so- The Robotics factory. Due to some good rolls they manage to find out all clues, which are as follows:
    - Weaknesses of auto turrets: "Charge up segment" and "graded power screen" (They didn't face power screens so far, that worried them)
    - A build for a cyborg centaur lik body for the general. It seemed to have two weaker spots "Flanks of the centaur" and "Stomach of the centaur". Apparently the construction left a lot to be desired.
    - There was some schematics of what looked like a huge -modern-stealth-jet-like flying contraption (New Horizon) The thing seemed... imprevious to normal weapons, except at two locations- It's hover rings, and it's back thrusters. Walter was no mechanic but when the doc showed him the expected power consumtption of the thing even he understood this power was immense! I considered this like a minor scene so the minor consequences of Bob and the madam passed.

Another roll of radiation, the party had about 2-3 radaway left. It was time to end this thing!

The General and New Horizon!
    The party rushed down the broken corridor towards the launch pad, and they indeed reached a huge hanger, with great bridges over darkness below. The three bridges held mutants and black suits (3 and 4) and nearer the back stood... The General- the size of two mutants, it looked like a combination of technology and flesh bound together. And the Flesh was that of Michael! The child was strapped to his chest, crying and sobbing, tubes and wires going into him, making him one with The General. The General started to make his speech but Jenny just shot over his head. "If you want to shoot- shoot! Don't talk!" Yeah, the players just wanted to deal with this, not hear his monologue!

Ok, he'll shoot! One ofe his hands was mostly a big plasma gun, and he burned nearly all of Jenny's stress away with it. Wanting to take advantage of their success with the amplifier, Walter shoots and kills a black suits, and Bob rushes past a mutant and kills another. Jim attacks the last and they manage to kill all 3 black suits, freeing 3 of the mutants! (The last one was under the General's control) One starts fighting with the last mutant, while the other tow run towards the general, occupying it a bit.

But there are more surprises! 3 turrets (Improved ones, with power screens) rise and start shooting at the characters. The madam tries to focus her powers on the general, but it manages to block her. As it fights with the mutants, they try and attack it, but try to evoid hitting the child. Well, all except Bob (?!?) and D*ck (obviously). The party starts cloising the distance, spreading around to avoid an "hit many targets" attacks (I accidentally let it slip) But Jenny suffers heavy fire from one of the turrets, taking down her remainign Stress.

The party decides to fight like you fight in FATE- focus fire by piling up advantages, And Walter manages to take down 5 stress with the help of the others! Which is when Michael screams, and the General heals. "Fools! With the child's regenerative power I am invincible!" D*ck and Bob call to kill the child, but Walter notice not all wounds have healed (He heals 2 stress/ consequences per exchange) and seeks to save Michael.

The Madam decides to try not to directly hamr the General, but confuse him, create an advantage. SHe send him images of all they have done, of the dead amlifier, soldiers and more, making him confused. Unlike his soldiers, he is weaker mentally than physically (though still formidable on both fronts).

Angry, and having does with the mutants (And not really worried about Bob who keeps missing) The General seems to power his hand cannon with one of the turrets suddenly subsiding, powering dowm. He turns and shoots Walter, taking all of his stress with one shot, including a minor consequences. The player calls it "First Blood" since... it's the first consequence he ha taken in the game since it started! (WHAT?! I haven't been doing my job properly!)

The party decides to split their attantion between the General and Turrets (They thought some of his power came from them). Walter manages to cause 8 more damage to the General with the help of the others, Creating their first Consequence, Hitting his shoulder roughly.

I knew that once consequences start piling up, the end is near, so it was time to the next phase. The general shoved Bob away, and started activating some computer counsel. "You shall now see the greatness of what lies beyond the New Horizon!" They could hear something powering up down below, something BIG, something noisy!

The party has bad luck, the turrets hit more, and they all miss, as New Horizon starts to rise. Pankcing, Bob Strikes at technology, and rushed past the general and smashes at the computer, with finishing the job with a round of bullets. I had the players roll a dice, to see whether New Horizon continues to function, or goes down. Luckily for the ungrateful bastards, it powered down. ...

Furious, The general Charges up his other hand (With a turret going numb) with a big electrical charge and smashes at Bob, who has nearly all of his physical stress taken out. Bob has only a minor consequence to spare...

Jenny manages to him The General, causing even more consequences, he fire at her, getting her A moderate consequnce. But due to a lot of fire he is down on his luck.

Which is when the madam stands tall, looking the crazed abomination in the eye. She is sick, he mind is shaken, and her friends are nearly dying around her. She stares down the general and says "This is for my girls you Mother F****r!" and launches a great psychic assault on him, Which made him shouts in terror, and crumple to the floor. The party was mostly worried due to having hear the Madam curse for the first time!

The General was dead, the day was saved. But what is that countdown sound?

GM notes- Final Battle
    Spoiler
    Show
    I did hope to use New Horizon. And one one pushed ANYONE over a ledge? what are bridges for?!

Anyway, some stats

General
    Fight, shoot: +6 (ray gun, 2 targets)
    Physique, athletics: +5
    Notice, will: +4
    Rapport, Provoke: +3

"Arrogant self centered bastard", " Maddned by science", Centaur body", "Powered by conduits up", "Must use New Horizon", "Weak flank", "weak stomach"

Stunts:
    - Grade 2 weapons.
    - Can power up a weapon to cause 3 more damage by making a turret inoperable for 1 exchange.
    - Michael torso- every hit might hit the child If misses by 1. (Stress O, can take 1 minor consequence) regenerates 2 stress each Exchange. Disabled by killing Michael.
    - Armor 2
    - Can activate New Horizon. Needs 2 full actions. Council has armor 1, OOO.

Improved auto turrets
    "Charge up segment", "Deflector shield down"
    Shoot +3, Notice +2, Athletics +2, Armor 2, OOO + O stress.

Laser shot- avoids cover, causes +2 damage.
    Power deflector- Once in an exchange can cause a reroll of a shot.

New Horizon
    Shoot: Auto turrets +3 (8 attacks)
    Athletics +4, Auto pilot ride +4
    OOOOO + OO

Impregnable- Armor +4
    - Weak cover: Attacked only from back of craft, armor 2, OOO. If damaged can't evade (Athletics down to +1)
    4 Hover rings. Armor +2 OOO. destoying 2 forces ride check. 3rd crashes it)

Finishing things up.
    Bob, who didn't understand much about technology, still managed to identify a countdown on the general's stomach, with the words "Core overcharging" on the screen. "Um, Guys? Lets get the hell out of here! It's gonna blow!" He yanked the crying Michael from the General's body (nearly killing him, but not quite)

I initially had the players use another more minor craft, but since New Horizon was still functional... We didn't roll from here on. We said the party climbed quickly to the craft, got into it, and soared it up towards the shaft out of Fort Lost. Jenny struggled at the start with controls and flying an aerial craft rather than a land one, but it came quite intuitive, a bit like playing games on an I-phone. They managed to clear enough distance before the core blew up, wiping up Fort Lost ("What about the loot?! WHAT ABOUT THE LOOOOOOOTT?!") with a big bright white explosion, shaking the craft slightly.

They flew towards Littletown, and managed to land the craft a small distance from the town, it's power reservoirs depleted. The thing was a HUGE power eater! They climbed down, quite shaken nd stunned to realize that they are somehow still alive. The sheriff came to see them, qith a confused look on his face. "Well, I sure didn't expect it to end like this!"
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Aaaaaaannnd, this is where we ended things! It was fun, and quite a ride, but I hope you enjoyed it. This session was Looooong. It also played more like D&D rather than FATE- a dungeon crawl, all around battles and so on. The players got compelled very little, but that's fine.

I'll be talking in my next post (When I get to write it) about our plans for the future (Short Version- we'll be playing a A Pathfinder Adventure Path next), and some of my closing thoughts for this arc.

We may return to it in the future though, as there are still some unanswered questions:
    - What will the party do with New Horizon? Can they make it profitable?
    - Who WERE the black suits? The party didn't investigate that much... There is only Snare left of their kind. What about him?
    - How will things turn out in Rivertown, now that Torrent Hudson is dead? Will Silvertone take over? Miss Diamond? D*ck?
    - What will become of the twins? (Which everyone forgot about till this meeting)
    - Will the madam get more girls? Will her latent psychic power prove to be something more?
    - How far will Jenny reform? Where will she take her spiritual journey?
    - Will Walter found a new religion/ faith?
    - Will we see D*ck sitting on a leather chair, smoking a cigar, and asking "As knot what Mr. Mighty can do for you, but what you can do for D*ck!"?

If you liked this journal (Still 1-2 mroe posts of mine to come) Please let me know. Also, there are 2 more logs in my sig. One of a complete campaign ("Many facets...") and another starts but doesn't end, and probably never will (Though still a good read! "It starts with a crash")

Ok, off for now!

1. Special projects:
    2. My campaign logs:

Thanks for reading!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

So what's next?

Well, we've been talking about this the last few weeks, between sessions, here and there. We liked FATE, but... We really miss the tactic depth of D&D. We feel we can make a good enough story without needing the rules, but many of the battles and encounters have been somewhat... Underwhelming. This may well be due to myself not understanding quite the way this game works, it's mind set and such, but it's little use to argue. The players like the complexity of D&D and it's like, so we'll try that.

However, I am worried that my time to prep goes shorter and shorter. The other DM (Jenny's player) Had to stop a campaign because he just didn't have time to prep, and so did I, taking a fairly ambitious undertaking with a homebrew world, multiple plots and a very big sandbox. (Not on the logs, lasted only 5 session).

So we need something more... managable. We're going to try the Pathfinder modules, and hope they reduce the prep time considerably. I hope they are not too constraining or railroady though. But some have voiced they are fine even with a simple plot, and less of a sandbox, so I guess we'll see?

We are worried about the madam's player though- she had some difficulties getting the FATE mechanics, will she deal with the PF ones? However, as I understand she likes gaming a lot (She joined because she last played Fallout 3 and loved it), so hopefully we can ease her to it. Both me, Walter's player and Jenny's player will try and help her.

So far the Adventure Paths on the table are:
    - Rise of the Runelords.
    - Legacy of Fire.
    - Kingmaker (If we can't have little town, we'll make our own damn kingdom!)
    - Wrath of the Righteous.

I sent my players an email about choosing between the options. We'll see what will be the winner.

Thoughts about this experience with FATE

The arc contained 4 scenarios:
    - Initial attack of the Vampyrs, up to facing up The Ogre and The Sirine.
    - Politics in Littletown, ending up in the big meeting, and Walter making his speech.
    - Goign back to Littletown, having it attacked by the Black suits, and taking the town back.
    - The adventure to Fort Lost.

At the first scenario I think the game worked quite well, with the flow of fate points, aspects and compells driving the game. I think my big mistakes were in the second scenario, where I tried to give the compels more weight, turning the players away from them. It was a turning point- they were very reluctent to be compelled since, and turned into creating advantages in order to get their desires. (With "Cover fire" coming out every damned time!) I think this is also when the party slightly turned away from FATE.

A few more points of thought:

- I really, really, really wish I could play with someone who have GMed FATE for awhile, to see how it is done. I'm quite sure I messed things up quite a bit.

- As I said before- FATE is immensely easy to prepare for and improvise in. You can come up with all the "stats" for an NPC in about 10 seconds top. I really liked this about the system. However, there is one subtle art that may take some thinking prep time- creating scenes and scenarios that speak to the characters' aspects. Done that to start with, but at the last 2-3 sessions not enough. It is tricky to remember using them as well. I've been making notes to myself to not forget, Doesn't always work. Probably with practice?

- At least in this post apocalyptic scenario, without heavy extras, there seem to be relatively few options for the party. Creating advantages seems fairly easy, or at least not that meaningful (all give you a +2, why choose a more difficult one than an easier one). This has been quite frustrating. Aspects are a great invention, but their equality with all other aspects can be vexing.

- For me at least, a post apocalyptic scenario is very hard to with ideas for. I think 90-95% of the ideas I had came in some form or another from Fallout 1 & 2. I'm not sure that I would have had that many ideas to go with had we continued.

- I love the options of a challenge and contest, especially contest, as spreading out a task to not making a one roll win/ lose. It's a good way to enhance drama, as Kyoryu mentioned.

- I got great players!

That is all I can think of as for now. The rest is somewhere in the log I'd wager. I hope you enjoyed! When we start a new campaign, I hope to keep a log of it as well, but in the D&D/PF forum most likely, dunno. I don't know what it will be, the characters or such, but I do know this- "It ain't gonna end well!"

1. Special projects:
    2. My campaign logs:

Thanks for reading!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

We liked FATE, but... We really miss the tactic depth of D&D. We feel we can make a good enough story without needing the rules, but many of the battles and encounters have been somewhat... Underwhelming. This may well be due to myself not understanding quite the way this game works, it's mind set and such, but it's little use to argue. The players like the complexity of D&D and it's like, so we'll try that.
    Sure. Fate isn't really a super-in-depth tactical simulator. It doesn't really emphasize rules manipulation as a primary component of play.

- At least in this post apocalyptic scenario, without heavy extras, there seem to be relatively few options for the party. Creating advantages seems fairly easy, or at least not that meaningful (all give you a +2, why choose a more difficult one than an easier one). This has been quite frustrating. Aspects are a great invention, but their equality with all other aspects can be vexing.
    Aspects do a number of things - starting with the fact that they're *true*. If you're tripped, you're on the ground. Period.

1) They can provide passive opposition, which generally acts as a 'floor' on the opposition roll.
    2) They prohibit actions - if you're _Tripped On The Ground_, you can't go anywhere.
    3) They justify actions - if you're providing _Covering Fire_, you're in a position to actively oppose actions (like movement) with your shooting skill.

If Arachnid-Boy hits the Teal Boggart with his web-fluid and traps him in a web, the Teal Boggart ain't going anywhere until he gets out of the web. Period. That's not a bonus, or a roll. It's just fact.

That said, in general, Fate works best if you approach it from a "fiction-first" viewpoint - start with what makes sense for the characters to do, rather than from a 'how do I get the biggest numbers' point of view.

If people really are just looking for that kind of tactical combat simulator, though, there are definitely better choices.

22. - Top - End - #82

SwashbucklerGuy

Thank you for the write ups Kol.

The whole game sounds alot of fun. As I have said before it has made me intereste in picking up Fate.Of course at the moment I am too busy with a list of other games but when I get free time I am going to try it out.

Good luck with the Pathfinder game.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Milo - NEATO !!
    BLAST