New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [PF] Rage Prophet - Oracle Archetype (PEACH)

Rage Prophet
    Spoiler
    Show
    The problem with almost all Prestige Classes in Pathfinder is that they blow seem underwhelming and disconnected from the rest of the system. I have tried to recreate the same feel of the original in a more attractive package. Hopefully, nothing too broken came out of this. Comments are always appreciated.
    I am of a half mind of doing this for as many PrCs as possible, and collect them in the "PF Grand Achetypization Thread".. We'll see.

Some oracles are possessed by an inner fury that knows no bounds. Instead of the rage prophet drawing her powers from deities, she simply let her anger burst out.

Alignment: any non-lawful.

DIMINISHED SPELLCASTING

A rage prophet can use one fewer spell per day of each level and does not automatically learn cure or inflict spells (spells with "cure" or "inflict" in the name). Her number of oracle spells known is unchanged.

EXPANDED SPELL LIST

A rage prophet add the following spells to her spell list:
    1st—Unseen Servant; 2nd—See Invisibility, Spectral Hand, Whispering Wind; 4th—Arcane Eye; 5th—Dream; 6th—Shadow Walk; 7th—Vision.

LUCID RAGE
    Rage (Ex): A rage prophet can call upon inner reserves of strength and ferocity, granting her additional combat prowess. This works like the Rage ability of the barbarian; rage prophet levels count as barbarian levels for the purpose of rounds of rage available per day, as well as for any rage power available. Levels of barbarian and rage prophet stack when determining rage rounds and effects of rage ability and powers.
    At 11th level, this revelation functions as Greater rage. At 20th level, this revelation functions as Mighty Rage.
    Lucidity (Ex): at the start of every round of rage, the rage prophet can choose not to gain any benefits or take any of the penalties from rage for 1 round. Activating this rage power is a free action. This includes the penalty to Armor Class and the restriction on what actions can be performed. This round still counts against her total number of rounds of rage per day.
    REVELATIONS
    A rage prophet gains a new revelation at 5th level and 13th level. These are in addition to the normal revelations she receives at 3rd level, 7th level, and so on. In addition, the rage prophet may select the following revelations in place of a mystery revelation.
    Rage Power (Ex): A rage prophet gains a rage power she qualifies for instead of a revelation. This revelation can be selected more than once. The rage prophet must be at least 2nd level before selecting this revelation.
    Clarity of Mind (Su): A rage prophet is able to cast cure spells on himself while raging without using the Moment of Clarity power. At 7th level, she is able to cast spells with a range of “personal” on herself this way. At 13th level, she is able to cast any spell that targets her in this fashon.
    Ragecaster (Su): A rage prophet's spell grow more potent when he rages. Once per rage, a rage prophet can add her Constituion bonus to concentration checks. At 7th level, a rage prophet can add her Constitution bonus to her caster level instead. At 13th level, a rage prophet can add her Constituion bonus to the DC of a spells she casts instead.
    Spirit Guide (Sp): The rage prophet gains a spirit guide, an insubstantial phantom that speaks to her mind, watches over her, and lends her its strength and wisdom. Whenever the rage prophet rages, she gains the benefit of a single guidance spell from her spirit guide; this bonus can be used at any time during her rage. The spirit guide also allows the rage prophet to use dancing lights, ghost sound, and mage hand as spell-like abilities once per day each (caster level equal to the rage prophet’s class level). The DCs are Charisma-based.

At 7th level, the competence bonus provided by the spirit guide’s guidance spell increases to half the rage prophet’s class level when used while battling a fey, outsider, undead, or incorporeal creature. As a swift action, the rage prophet can spend 1 round of rage (whether he is raging or not) to give her armor and weapons the ghost touch property for 1 round; this effect ends if the item is no longer in his possession.

At 11th level, the competence bonus provided by the rage prophet’s guidance increases to her rage prophet level when used while battling a fey, outsider, undead, or incorporeal creature. Her ability to give his armor and weapons the ghost touch property becomes an immediate action instead of a swift action.
    Force of Personality (Ex): While raging, the rage prophet adds her Charisma to Fortitude saves.
    Recommended Mysteries: Ancestors, Battle, Metal, Nature.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2013-08-09 at 01:02 PM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Rage Prophet - Oracle Archetype (PEACH)

About half of your revelation descriptions don't start with a capital letter.

Oracle doesn't get a Revelation at second level, and as such forcing them to choose Moment of Clarity at level 2 does nothing. You should just say that it and Rage replace the Revelation gained at 1st level, and maybe the Mystery spell gained at second.

Augury, Divination, Find the Path, Helping Hand, Speak with Dead, and Spiritual Weapon are all already on the cleric spell list.

Minor, but the expanded spell list isn't sorted properly. Paizo archetypes that give new spells to the spell list sort them by level first:

1stUnseen Servant; 2ndSee Invisibility, Spectral Hand, Whispering Wind; 4thArcane Eye; 5thDream; 6thShadow Walk; 7thVision.

Stating that you need to choose the spells is unnecessary, as you're specifically mentioning spell list and not spells known.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2013-08-09 at 11:48 AM.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Osagasu View Post
    Oracle doesn't get a Revelation at second level, and as such forcing them to choose Moment of Clarity at level 2 does nothing. You should just say that it and Rage replace the Revelation gained at 1st level, and maybe the Mystery spell gained at second.
    Do you think it would be ok to replace the bonus spell known, or should I move it to 3rd level instead? Or give it at 2nd level but replace the 3rd level revelation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Osagasu View Post
    About half of your revelation descriptions don't start with a capital letter.

Augury, Divination, Find the Path, Helping Hand, Speak with Dead, and Spiritual Weapon are all already on the cleric spell list.

Minor, but the expanded spell list isn't sorted properly. Paizo archetypes that give new spells to the spell list sort them by level first:

1stUnseen Servant; 2ndSee Invisibility, Spectral Hand, Whispering Wind; 4thArcane Eye; 5thDream; 6thShadow Walk; 7thVision.

Stating that you need to choose the spells is unnecessary, as you're specifically mentioning spell list and not spells known.
    Fix'd.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2013-08-09 at 11:55 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

For those two abilities specifically? Yeah, trading away the mystery spell would probably work. Of course, all the other options don't have a cost for getting them added as options so this largely ends up a bit more powerful simply by added flexibility.

You really should look at adding some other cost. For example, Diminished Spellcasting may be harsh, but you could add other abilities to make up for that too and come out about the same power. See Paizo's Purifier archetype for a good example of an archetype that changes some revelations around and gives some other options in exchange for diminished spellcasting.

If you don't want to go that route, I'm sure there are other things you could trade away.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2013-08-09 at 12:09 PM.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, I've always thought that spellcasting is way too much to give up, but I must say that in this case your suggestion is spot-on.

I've changed it around for the time being (at least until I think of other things): diminished spellcasting vs Lucid Rage and the enhanced flexibility provided by the extra revelations, and maybe that 1st revelation slot. That last part seems excessive to me, but then I'm biased...

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Diminished Spellcasting is a pretty hefty cost, so you could probably get away with giving them a free rage power at 4th or 6th to take the edge off.

So Diminished Spellcasting for Rage, Lucidity, a rage power, and the extra revelations.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2013-08-09 at 12:58 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

And... done. Good job team!

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika