A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Why does Haley use potions?

I'm not a D&D player, but I've read about it extensively to better understand this comic, so I have some feel for the basic rules, character optimization, etc.

From what I understand, potions and wands do the exact same thing. For instance, a Wand of Cure Moderate Wounds is the exact same as 50 Potions of Cure Moderate Wounds. However, the wand is much more cost-efficient as the potion. (In that example, it would be 90GP per cure instead of 300GP per cure)

I can understand why a cleric like Durkon uses potions, since he is only interested in making sure people get cured and not how much it costs. But it seems odd that a money miser like Haley would use something as inefficient as potions, unless there's something beneficial about them I don't realize (which is usually the case when I try to understand D&D rules)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why does Haley use potions?

Because it ultimately makes no difference and potions are more readily recognizable, is my guess.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Durkon should use a wand of cure light wounds; there's no real reason he should be using potions except that it allows the team to heal him when he goes down. Haley on the other hand would require a use magic device check to use a wand which she may or may not be able to make - potions are a much more reliable source of healing for her.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2013-08-09 at 11:01 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Also unless she has a good U(se) M(agic) D(evice) skill; which, is generally unlikely given the style of the characters in the comic she can't actually use a wand because she lacks a spell list.

Ninja'd...
    Last edited by Cuaqchi; 2013-08-09 at 11:02 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I can think of two in-universe reasons (in addition to the obvious and dull possibility that "Rich might prefer showing Haley using a potion because XXX"):

1) Haley doesn't want to buy 50 charges' worth of the same spell. So even though a wand is cheaper per use, it could be cheaper overall to use potions if she doesn't need the spell very often.

2) Haley simply isn't able to buy the kind of wands she wants. Magic item stores aren't that common in many D&D universes, and we haven't seen many in OOTSverse. Perhaps she simply hasn't found any stores that sell, say, a wand of cure moderate wounds.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It probably mostly because potions are more recognizable.

Personally, i'm glad that there's not many wands in the comic. Everytime we would see one there'd be a group having rampant speculation about what all it can do and another shouting "Deus Ex Machina! Deus Ex Machina!" Probably mostly from people who probably don't fully understand what exactly a "DEM" is.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2013-08-09 at 11:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

This isn't a fully optimized, play by play retelling of a D&D campaign. Haley doesn't use wands because potions are more easily recognizable to the readers, requires less explanation, and can be shared among the party.

If she was using a wand, a lot of people would be asking "Is Haley a wizard/rogue?" and "What spell is she casting?". It's just ease of narrative with no real impact on the story, since they will always have as much money as they need at that time. There's no tracking of that being done.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the big thing here is more story telling than actual mechanics.

Potions are much more common and recognizable in literature/fantasy as being items of healing.

Wands have varied uses, but aren't the standard go-to for healing

Edit: Ninja'd twice, my spot might as well be the same as Belkars
    Last edited by Oko and Qailee; 2013-08-09 at 11:07 AM.
    (Currently afk halfway across the country.)

Attempting Homebrew:
    Requip Knight

9. - Top - End - #9

MindFlayer

Or maybe, like a lot of DMs, Rich doesn't like the Wand of CLW bit.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuaqchi View Post
    Also unless she has a good U(se) M(agic) D(evice) skill; which, is generally unlikely given the style of the characters in the comic she can't actually use a wand because she lacks a spell list.

Ninja'd...
    Haley absolutely has UMD - she's used Sending scrolls before, and Teleport scrolls in one of the books.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

She was able to buy them at less then cost, which throws your math out the window.

She probably overheard V and was the one that decided to buy out their entire stock of healing potions.
    Last edited by Xelbiuj; 2013-08-09 at 11:12 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

As others have said, Haley would have to roll UMD to activate a wand. The thing is, even if Haley's UMD is very good (and it probably is), it can still be risky to rely on rolling UMD a lot to heal yourself. The problem is that, if you ever roll a 1 on UMD, you're unable to use that item again for 24 hours. It's going to happen sooner or later if you're healing yourself with a wand all the time, and if it happens at a bad time it could very well kill you.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Because potions can be used by anyone, anywhere, even if Haley gets knocked out. They can be traded to Elan or Roy or V for them to carry when the party is inevitably split during combat.

That makes them more versatile tactically AND more flexible story-wise. And they're also more recognizable to non-D&D players. And wand are more visually appropriate to offensive spells that you aim at someone. And I don't care at all about what the most cost-efficient option by the rules is anyway.
    Rich Burlew

A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop gameŚnow including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well...
    drawing a potion in Haley's hand in a digital file costs nothing, so Haley can get potions for free by having the giant draw them in

15. - Top - End - #15

MindFlayer

I think we need an accounting of this Kickstarter money to see if Haley's been embezzling it for potions.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    I think we need an accounting of this Kickstarter money to see if Haley's been embezzling it for potions.
    It's necessary, don't judge! She spent all her allotted money on Aton skin products!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks guys. I didn't realize that you needed a skill to use a wand. See, I knew my lack of knowledge of D&D factored in here somewhere.

Also, it's pretty embarrassing that the first post of mine that the Giant ever responded to is something as silly as this.

EDIT: I also second the "potions are more recognizable" idea. When I first read the story, I did kinda wonder why Nale was the only person using wands. So if everyone was using wands, I probably would have assumed that magic in D&D was like Harry Potter.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2013-08-09 at 01:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    it's pretty embarrassing that the first post of mine that the Giant ever responded to is something as silly as this.
    If it makes you feel any better, I think the first time the Giant responded to me was because I ignored the fact that vampires have fast healing, and I do play D&D. In fact, most of the time when he answers some question or comment I have, it's because I'm wrong in some way. I see it as good, though. Question is answered from the best possible source, and who cares if we end up looking a little silly for it?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2013-08-09 at 04:20 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

OotS only shows token healing on panel anyway. This is not an aspect of D&D that the Giant seems interested in modelling in a manner that is easy to follow for obsessive number crunchers. Whether the healing is provided by Spells + Potions or Spells + Potions + Wands, hardly matters, in the larger context. Maybe they are using wands off panel?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xelbiuj View Post
    She was able to buy them at less then cost, which throws your math out the window.

She probably overheard V and was the one that decided to buy out their entire stock of healing potions.
    Thisssss. I would have posted it if I wasn't beaten to it by a long shot
    My GitP Homebrew Signature
    My homebrew posts need fixing due to the board update. I've done rewrites of half but going to finish the rest before posting.
    My Homebrew System progress blog
    In which I post ocassional updates about the sci-fi tabletop system I've worked on since March 2013

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Xelbiuj View Post

There is no way that didn't happen. I believe you win the internet.
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tragak View Post
    But wouldn't those potions have been lost during the inn explosion?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Haley has a cache of wands now. Happy?

24. - Top - End - #24

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Tragak View Post
    People keep winning "the" internet. Are they passing it to each other each time?

25. - Top - End - #25

People keep winning "the" internet. Are they passing it to each other each time?
    Nope, the Internet is a game, not a currency.
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

I seem to recall on the 3.5 forums flickerdart won "all the internets", so there have to be more than one.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Connington View Post
    Haley has a cache of wands now. Happy?
    Actually, it looks like he was a slightly embarrassed.

Just a coincidence though.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-08-12 at 04:06 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

28. - Top - End - #28

I'm guessing it's more to do with the time Nale used a Wand of Enervation, and some people complained because the Giant didn't show Nale finding a Wand of Enervation, and deciding he should totally buy this Wand of Enervation in case he needs to zap an enemy spellcaster and drain some of his spell slots. (That might be a slight exaggeration, but you can never be sure around here.)
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

29. - Top - End - #29

I'm guessing the reason is so they have magic wands for some plot critical sequence in the future. Not to appease internet fan theories.

They're without their main caster for a little longer. They might need those wands.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

On winning internets
    It can be used either way. It's still the same basic gag though. (warning: above link involves profanity and annoying banner ads)