New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Converting D&D into oWoD

Hear me out.

My friend and I have this idea to convert the flavor of D&D into the oWoD storyteller system, so as to play a simplified game with that whole epic fantasy feel.

I've made a draft for some of the basic player races and monstrous races. For example: Elves get a +1 on Dexterity, can have a maximum of 3 in Strength or Stamina, and can choose between Alertness, Athletics, Animal Ken, Survival and Occult as a "favored" skill.
    (This is a rough draft. We have yet to sit down together and decide how many bonuses to give races.)

For that proper epic/mythic feel we are going to include a "Glory" stat, which is one of the things we haven't quite decided on but ideas include using a dot to get extra dice on a roll, and soaking lethal damage for one round.

I've started designing new Backgrounds for medieval fantasy characters, such as being descended from a famous hero (gives social bonuses) or owning a powerful heirloom.

Another thing we'll need to put work into is a magic system. There is no way we're going to make spells as varied as in D&D proper, but my friend floated the idea that your rating gives you points to spread out among effects (range, power, duration).
    We haven't gone into holy magic yet, but I like the idea of just having a basic Holy rating which can be used for healing, attacking undead, warding and whatnot.

Opinions? Suggestions? Has anyone tried this?

(BTW, I am aware of Exalted but we are going for D&D-esque)
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Converting D&D into oWoD

Is there any particular reason you are intentionally using oWoD for this project, instead of nWoD?

I've had this idea myself, although I haven't had a chance to play around with the idea too much. Both Hunter and Changeling seem like they would be really good fits for the D&D setting of the game, and Mage would give spellcasters some options - although might be considerably stronger than others. There's also Geist (nWoD) and communicating with spirits in Werewolf for other types of magic.

Are you familiar with Scion: Hero? It has strong powered god-children using their abilities to be, well, heroes. It doesn't do the low-powered side of the game, and like most of oWoD, tends towards wildly overpowered in spots. But it may be close to what you are looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I, uh... well, the only Storyteller game I've played was Exalted, but I'm not sure it's going to be that simplified.

As a counteroffer, can I suggest using Mutants and Masterminds?
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Is there any particular reason you are intentionally using oWoD for this project, instead of nWoD?
    It's the game we're familiar with, and frankly what I've seen of nWoD doesn't interest me much.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Fortunately, White Wolf has already done half of the work for you.