Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Pictures of the Durkon and Varsuuvius minis

They're up now at Morland Studios. They go on sale Wednesday at midnight along with the Xykon exclusive.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Pictures of the Durkon and Varsuuvius minis

Omg, I need the Durkon one. Cutest thing ever.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

They look cool, they really do. But the Xykon and zombie dragon looks AWESOME!!

4. - Top - End - #4

The Xykon on the dragon looks amazing. Too bad it's so expensive. I'm betting the next release will be regular standing Xykon and Redcloak in December. At which point It's anyone's guess who would come after. Nale and Sabine? MitD? Thog?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Wish I could afford that Xykon. Alas, it is not in the cards for me.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

6. - Top - End - #6

I need to save money so I can buy the Xykon one. Totally awesome.
    Power equals power

The hero of any story can defy danger - but only a special hero can defy stories themselves.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Yeah, I almost did a spit take when Morland told me what the price was going to have to be, but it turns out that's actually very cheap for the size dragon set that it is. Comparably-sized dragons often cost $250-300 elsewhere, apparently. Though I imagine the easier-to-cast level of detail has more to do with the lower price than anything else.

I'll be putting up a full announcement of these plus GenCon plugs later tonight/early tomorrow.
    Rich Burlew

Utterly Dwarfed, the sixth compilation of The Order of the Stick is now in stock. Order at Ookoodook (paper copies) or Gumroad (digital PDFs), or pick it up from your local gaming store.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, whoever figures out how to mount sword-yielding Roy on the dragon's neck wins 1000 Internets.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Also, whoever figures out how to mount sword-yielding Roy on the dragon's neck wins 1000 Internets.
    I wish this was Reddit so I can upvote that.

10. - Top - End - #10

It wouldn't be difficult. Just buy a new Roy miniature, cut off the tab under his foot, and glue his feet straight to the dragon. I actually considered it before I realized it's $170. Actually, I'm still buying a new Roy, since I made so many mistakes with him as the first.

11. - Top - End - #11

I've posted the News update promised, and here are some more pics of the new figures:

Durkon:

Vaarsuvius and Blackwing:

Xykon on the dragon:

On Xykon, the wooden base and Roy are not included but the section of the Azure City walls and the acrylic rods are.

EDIT: I just noticed that Xykon's hands and feet are mispainted black instead of white. I'll have to let them know for anyone ordering painted versions, but it obviously won't affect unpainted ones.
    Rich Burlew

Utterly Dwarfed, the sixth compilation of The Order of the Stick is now in stock. Order at Ookoodook (paper copies) or Gumroad (digital PDFs), or pick it up from your local gaming store.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, that Xykon mini is amazing. I'm still not planning of getting any of the others (although I may change my mind), but I'm definitely getting this one.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Having made some of my own minis in the past, I have to ask:

What does Durkon look like from the back when his shield is on his arm?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

The black hands on Xykon look pretty neat.
    Avatar by me auld friend and DM CoffeeIncluded
    Shqipper supreme. Purple Watchmaker of Light. Master class Thinkamancer. Infected with Rash Plague. 21st century's Charlmagne.
    Erudite Dudebro. King in Yellow. Level 20 Omnistalt everything. Prince of Void. 'The Fox'. Perched upon the very crucifex of Oblivion.
    Anxioused Aghast. Multipurpose Master at arms. Not a Vampire. Disaster Master: Shademaster. 10/10 on Auto. Punchbeef. Here comes a beautiful boy.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Having made some of my own minis in the past, I have to ask:

What does Durkon look like from the back when his shield is on his arm?
    Don't know, I don't have my samples yet. I'll let you know when I get them. These pics were snapped by the company.
    Rich Burlew

16. - Top - End - #16

Love the V mini, but I was quite disappointed by the small size of the minis. I would like them to be 3-4 inches so I can display them on a shelf.
    Darwin made my pretty Avatar.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Default What Durkon Looks Like From the Back.

Don't know, I don't have my samples yet. I'll let you know when I get them. These pics were snapped by the company.
    Fair enough!
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Love the V mini, but I was quite disappointed by the small size of the minis. I would like them to be 3-4 inches so I can display them on a shelf.
    They're 32mm scale, which is (more or less) gaming table scale.

The dragon lots freakin' fantastic. Wish I could afford to drop $170 on a "mini."
    Last edited by Zherog; 2013-08-12 at 03:28 PM.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

19. - Top - End - #19

Besides being the scale for gaming miniatures, a 3 inch figure with stick limbs would be prohibitively expensive. You'd be looking at $30 a figure, if it was even possible to find materials that would support that weight at the right dimensions.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Must have Xykon, must have it!

21. - Top - End - #21

Small magnets.
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    Besides being the scale for gaming miniatures, a 3 inch figure with stick limbs would be prohibitively expensive. You'd be looking at $30 a figure, if it was even possible to find materials that would support that weight at the right dimensions.
    As a mechanical engineer I'm going to hazard a guess that making the sword and foot that isn't touching the base (there is one, right?) out of plastic, the body and head out of "whatever", and the arms and legs out of high strength steel rod would be perfectly good structurally (in fact overkill), even if it might break the $30 figure due to costs of assembly.

Shoot, you could probably cast the whole thing out of steel at a mere 3" tall without structural problems. Again, it would be prohibitively expensive.
    Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #23

Yeah, I almost did a spit take when Morland told me what the price was going to have to be, but it turns out that's actually very cheap for the size dragon set that it is. Comparably-sized dragons often cost $250-300 elsewhere, apparently. Though I imagine the easier-to-cast level of detail has more to do with the lower price than anything else.

I'll be putting up a full announcement of these plus GenCon plugs later tonight/early tomorrow.
    If you want my opinion Giant, I'd only make one 'Xykon on a Zombie Dragon' miniature and keep it for myself.

Or not, but you should make something one of a kind for yourself.
    Last edited by JSSheridan; 2013-08-12 at 09:50 PM.
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    As has been mentioned, that's gaming scale. And Morland came to me asking to make gaming scale minis, so that's what they did. I didn't seek them out. If a company comes to me and asks to make larger statues, I'll certainly consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by JSSheridan View Post
    If you want my opinion Giant, I'd only make one 'Xykon on a Zombie Dragon' miniature and keep it for myself.

Or not, but you should make something one of a kind for yourself.
    I'd love to, but I don't know the first thing about it. I didn't make the mini. All I did was send them some reference art, make a few comments on various photos to tweak this or that, and collected my free samples. Morland (and their freelance sculptors) did all the work. That's also why (for the record), the lion's share of the retail price goes to them. I get a license commission, since it's my IP, but it's really their product.

--------------

And finally, Maya Morland sent me a pic of the backs sent from her hotel in Indianapolis:

Rich Burlew

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I like how V doesn't have Xis circlet. I never really liked that... Anyway! Eager to order me a V mini
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

And finally, Maya Morland sent me a pic of the backs sent from her hotel in Indianapolis:

Much cleaner than I was worried it might be.

I couldn't see how the shield attaches to the arm, and was worried that there might be some fiddly bits on the back to make it work.

It appears that either the straps that go over the arm are powerful magnets, or the arm is replaceable, or something. Actually the magnets are probably the arms and back themselves? I don't know.

TL;DR: I approve.
    Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    I like how V doesn't have Xis circlet. I never really liked that... Anyway! Eager to order me a V mini

V does have the Headband of Wizardry (think I got that right), she's just using it to tie up her ponytail. Anyway, I want to get two V's, one to be V herself, and one to leave out the eyebrow and ponytail and make Zz'dtri. I'll paint the second Blackwing like Kitty, just to get some use from it.
    Where's what's-her-name, the chick with the pigtails?
    Jirix: Tsukiko? She was here when the sewer team reported in...
    Anyone seen her since?
    Jirix: No.
    No.
    Demon Roaches: No. Nope.
    Not since I brutally murdered her ten minutes ago, no.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder how Xykon in the comic would look like with black arms...
    Avatar by me auld friend and DM CoffeeIncluded
    Shqipper supreme. Purple Watchmaker of Light. Master class Thinkamancer. Infected with Rash Plague. 21st century's Charlmagne.
    Erudite Dudebro. King in Yellow. Level 20 Omnistalt everything. Prince of Void. 'The Fox'. Perched upon the very crucifex of Oblivion.
    Anxioused Aghast. Multipurpose Master at arms. Not a Vampire. Disaster Master: Shademaster. 10/10 on Auto. Punchbeef. Here comes a beautiful boy.

29. - Top - End - #29

I couldn't see how the shield attaches to the arm, and was worried that there might be some fiddly bits on the back to make it work.

It appears that either the straps that go over the arm are powerful magnets, or the arm is replaceable, or something. Actually the magnets are probably the arms and back themselves? I don't know.

TL;DR: I approve.
    I think you're a little confused. These are metal and resin miniatures that you assemble and paint. The shield is glued on. He comes with two shields. It's not something you can switch back and forth. Most likely the arm and shield are one piece, with a second "no shield" left arm.

Once you've assembled and painted them, that's the way they stay.
    Last edited by NerdyKris; 2013-08-13 at 05:01 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

There are two separate arms: one with a shield molded to it and one without. However, they are not replaceable, per se—you need to glue it together when assembling it. So when you buy a Durkon mini, you can either assemble it with a shield on his arm, or on his back, but not both.

Likewise, with V, there is a right arm with Blackwing sitting on it and a right arm without Blackwing sitting on it, and you pick which one you want to use when you assemble it. Of course, you can both use the Blackwing arm and still paint the independent Blackwing separately for hot two-raven action, if that's your thing.

Basically, in all these minis, if there's an option of assembling it one way or the other, that option can only be picked when you're cementing the parts together. They're not designed to be switchable.
    Rich Burlew