New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #910 - The Discussion Thread

If Elan wants to go over that plan of his with Durkon, I would strongly recommend it.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Hmm, Xykon will re-invent aerial supremacy again: flying zombie dinosaurs! Tarquin's army--impressive though it looks--is a mere speed bump for an epic magic-user, not to mention a cleric wearing an artifact.
    Xykon is on a whole different continent, no way he'll get to meet this army (for now, at least).
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricken View Post
    I tip my hat to you, Giant. For every person who rules-nitpicks you, there are bound to be ten times as many fans who are just blown away by how excellent your storytelling is.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

BTW, all the nitpicking about Gate aside, if this is indeed Gate, that means that Tarquin has a freakin' caster/manifester who can use ninth level spells/powers.

Yeah. Team OotS ain't standing up to THAT at the moment.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-08-12 at 01:19 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

4. - Top - End - #94

PirateWench

I wonder how many times "GAAH!" has been used as an exclamation of surprise in the comic by now. :)
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Wouldn't someone as sophisticated and experienced as Tarquin scry before committing a big army like this? So wouldn't he know that the pyramid, gate and all are blown up?

Would scrying show him the planet where the Snarl is supposed to be, so that he is setting out to conquer the planet in the rift? But it's all water, as far as we can see. And would he go there not knowing if he can get back?

The Giant has astonished and bewildered me again. "Marching On." I love it.
    That's my opinion and if you don't like it, well, I have others - Groucho Marx

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

There is the possibility that the army was summoned to defend the Gate. Tarquin has no idea what might pop out of it, after all.

It is also possible that Tarquin knows more about Xykon than Nale told him. The army could be there against the possibility of catching Xykon.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ivrytwr View Post
    Does Tarquin intend to replace Malack with Nale?
    You can't replace a cleric with a rogue/fighter/sorcerer. Heck, Elan would be a better replacement than Nale because at least he could heal!

I will be honest that I have no idea what Tarquin intends, however. He's been shown to be fairly resourceful.
    Sweet Humanized Zecora OotS Avatar by zimmerwald1915

8. - Top - End - #98
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bam! Now we have some idea what Tarquin did before he left the city

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Why not just use one Teleportation Circle? Gate is 1 round/level and has to go to another plane, teleportation circle lasts far longer and can go to the same plane.
    The point is more the power level required to pull it off than the actual spell. Teleportation Circle being a 9th level spell as well.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

10. - Top - End - #100
    Spamalot in the Playground

I have to admit, it was amusing to watch the Order ransack Z's body like a burlap bag. You can take the murder hobo out of the loot-filled dungeon...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

maybe he intends to cast a ritual on the rift itself to get power instead of relying on a third party gate as a medium

12. - Top - End - #102

MindFlayer

I'd guess that whatever weird paternal feelings Tarquin has for Nale are keeping him from executing Nale outright. I don't know if he's going to offer him a throne or anything - but I'm betting it's going to be a "here's how it's going to be" speech.

13. - Top - End - #103

RogueGuy

I suppose this would be in keeping with previously established themes.

14. - Top - End - #104

Am I misunderstanding the art, or does the closer (tan, not reddish) allosaur have two left legs?

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Called it with the army Now where are all the people that made fun of that idea?
    Team Forum Nitpickers, IFCC pawn

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

While I doubt Tarquin borrowing another country's "advisor" is much of a threat to his plan, I still wonder about the Reptilian ambassadors private conversation with the Empress of Blood... Anything that takes power away from Tarquin would be nice.

I'm leaning towards "Tarquin does something dramatic" as my prediction, though.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

17. - Top - End - #107

lol, seriously?

Also I have the feeling that Roy is acting as a jerk toward Durkon. Sure, there's no way to rez him right now but still...

Is Haley's loot somehow linked to the topic asking why she isn't using wands?
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

18. - Top - End - #108

That, uh, that is an army right there...definitely Imperial March listening time.

I see three possibilities regarding headband-person's casting.

1. It's a Gate, the "cannot be opened to another point on the same plane; the spell works only for interplanar travel" clause waived because why is it even there in the first place (I would be tempted to houserule it away in a campaign), or gotten around via casting it twice.

2. This army actually was stashed on a different plane (seems unlikely but including it anyway).

3. It's not actually a Gate, just some other ability that allows for swift transportation of large numbers of creatures via a big gate-like hole in the air.

I, ah, kind of lean to #1, shall we say. Of course, that means they're a 17th+-level Wizard or 18th+-level Sorcerer so, yikes.

Alternatively, the headband-person is actually a channeler from the Wheel of Time 'verse and that's a Travelling weave.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Also am i the only one getting a palpatine/Dooku vibe out of that last panel with Tarq/Nale. Deliberate maybe?
    Very very unlikely to be "deliberate" but we shall see if it ends up being somewhat...similar, in at least one or two ways.
    I think I just failed a Spot check.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dinosaur Army FTW!!!!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

AAAAAAHH!!!!! OH THE SUSPENSE!!! It's killing me!!!!!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Note she has the same dweomer as Nale, and Rich said casters pick their magic colours. It would make sense if she was the one who taught Nale magic, as people have been speculating that all of Tarquin's party members were Nale's teachers.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Holy Crap!!!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

So, now what? The LG is gone, but Tarquin's brought at least one other party member and an army, and Nale will no doubt be healed shortly.

Guess it's time to bail.
    "All generalizations are false."
    -Me

Please remeber the impotence of poofreading everything you right.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know what to think. It makes sense for T to use his army to control the gate, he even said he would. It doesn't make sense to mobilize an entire legion just to eliminate the Order. But then again, it would make for VERY bad planning (not to mention VERY bad storytelling) for him to have not scried on the area to make sure the objective was still obtainable prior to mobilizing his troops. Can you imagine the next strip? "Oops, sorry guys, turn around and go home".

Also, for all the people posting "Imperial March", this is the ultimate, epic-win Imperial March.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Eep!

Mama mia! That is one huge army! And they have dinosaurs! This looks like it's time for the Order to pull out plan Q! No, not run away (that's plan B), Plan Q: Negotiate! No, wait, Plan Q is where Elan is disguised like a marsupial. Negotiation is Plan L, subsection 1, paragraph e.

I noticed that Mr. Scruffy is hissing at Durkon. Animals are instictively hostile to Vampires.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As I said in the CL&G thread, since Ioun Stone Caster is concentrating to hold open the opening into spacetime, I am leaning more and more to Gate.

Either houseruled or two castings thereof.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

This comic is so freakin' awesome.

Looks like Tarquin's been scrying on Nale, most likely. It's possible that he doesn't know what happened to the Gate and wanted to seize it intact, but somehow I think he knows what's going on and has his own plans for the rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post
    I noticed that Mr. Scruffy is hissing at Durkon. Animals are instinctively hostile to Vampires.
    I liked that detail, too.
    Last edited by Toper; 2013-08-12 at 01:33 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    As I said in the CL&G thread, since Ioun Stone Caster is concentrating to hold open the opening into spacetime, I am leaning more and more to Gate.

Either houseruled or two castings thereof.
    They're teleporting from a pavement in a desert with the same sky as the Western Continent, so I'd rule out two castings.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I have to admit, it was amusing to watch the Order ransack Z's body like a burlap bag. You can take the murder hobo out of the loot-filled dungeon...
    Isn't Z a Wizard?
    So shouldn't he be carrying a spell book?
    Hmmm?

V might not be able to use all of his spells if he's truly her whoops hir opposite but nobody said Hayley couldn't use up or sell off what they can't use?
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2013-08-12 at 01:42 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Question: How will this develop to make V's return from possession dramatically appropriate?
    Answer: It won't. V won't return from possession until after the Order has fled into the Rift, leaving her stranded. Not sure what happens from there, but she for sure isn't going with them.

On an unrelated note: yeah, the "old adventuring party" roundup wouldn't be as cool without Malack, would it? Call this a consolation prize. A damn cool consolation prize.