Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Elder Scrolls VII: Do you believe in Mod?

Thread Title selected at random.

Anyway, this is a continuation of a thread for discussing the most recent Elder Scrolls game, Skyrim, which got derailed into more general Elder Scrolls discussion and has been adapted due to it.

Previous threads:

Handy things:
    Official forums
    Perk calculator
    Some things you need to know about Skyrim
    The Wiki

Mods:
    Last edited by NineThePuma; 2013-08-15 at 08:56 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Elder Scrolls VII: Do you believe in Mod?

The worst part is that I got arrested in Markarth and could never figure out how to 'serve' my sentence. I had to go and look it up, and it's completely different from every other Jail in Skyrim. Which makes some sense, but seriously...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't know how much I have left in Dragonborn, but I doubt I can finish it in..the 3 hours of playtime I have tonight to meet my goal. I just started using bend will on those stones.

Whenever I decide 'Im going to play this game until Im done!' life says 'lol no'..had to buy 2 cars, mother breaks leg, extra work, house inspection..guh. I just wanted to play Skyrim >_<

But hey, I'm at lvl 40 now, thats definitely the highest I've gotten before.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I actually loved Markarth for my assassin/enchanter/crafter playthrough. I really loved the house in Markarth, and whenever I needed souls for my enchantments I could just go outside and murder a random Markarth Guard without feeling guilty in the slightest.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

*Opens up mods spoiler*

Menu interface mod. Just the fact that that exists...

Yay consoles for not having to deal with that problem.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Woo, my title suggestion is The Chosen One! I am Threadtitleborn!

On topic, I somehow find all my evil characters gravitating towards Markarth. The morally grey tend to set up base in Riften (cheap house, Thieves' Guild, outdoor shopping), while the good (for a given value of murder-hobo 'good') tend to prefer Whiterun or Solitude. No-one ever ends up based in Windhelm, and to be honest, I avoid it more than the Reach. Ulfric is a douche of the highest order, I don't like the aesthetic, and it's all cold and nasty outside

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by xBlackWolfx View Post
    I tried to play skyrim, but one quest in the game spoiled it for me.

I'll put in in a spoiler box for those who don't want to know about it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Its that quest in markarth, about the corrupt guards ignoring murders or something. I didn't mind the quest, until I got to the point where every guard in the city wanted to kill me, I even ran to the jarl thinking he would help me, but he just stood up, pulled out his sword, and threatened me. I went online to look up more about the quest, and found, there is no right answer. There is only two ways to get out of that quest alive: one is side with that forsworn king who's been murdering everyone, or kill him and escape on your own, which is nearly impossible, and have that one guy you meet bribe the guards into giving you a problem. in the end, everything you did was wrong, the guards are still corrupt, killing the murderous king only makes everything exponentially harder for you, and in the end you did nothing to get justice for the murders. And in a bit of irony, I was actually saving up to buy a house in markarth bc it was my favorite city, up until that point where the entire game was revealed to just be a stupid joke of course

Why would they have such a thing in the game? To me, that one quest just makes the entire storyline a joke. I cant even enjoy the rest of the game purely bc of that one storyline. So there is no such thing as good and evil in skyrim? What you do has no relevance on wheather or not you accomplish something good or bad? One of the reasons I have love fantasy so much is that there is no such thing as good and evil, right and wrong, or order and stability in the real world, all those things are just a stupid joke. And I don't like that fact that its the same way in skyrim. That one ****ing stupid quest just ruined the entire game for me. I cant even stand to play it anymore.
    What I did for That Damn Quest was

Spoiler
    Show

side with Madanach, have him bust us out of the dungeon, and then while he was confronting Silver-Blood, I pickpocketed everyone's equipped weapons. Once Silver-Blood was killed, I FUS'd everyone else into the canals and slaughtered them.

I love being a thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by xBlackWolfx View Post
    I tried to play skyrim, but one quest in the game spoiled it for me.

I'll put in in a spoiler box for those who don't want to know about it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Its that quest in markarth, about the corrupt guards ignoring murders or something. I didn't mind the quest, until I got to the point where every guard in the city wanted to kill me, I even ran to the jarl thinking he would help me, but he just stood up, pulled out his sword, and threatened me. I went online to look up more about the quest, and found, there is no right answer. There is only two ways to get out of that quest alive: one is side with that forsworn king who's been murdering everyone, or kill him and escape on your own, which is nearly impossible, and have that one guy you meet bribe the guards into giving you a problem. in the end, everything you did was wrong, the guards are still corrupt, killing the murderous king only makes everything exponentially harder for you, and in the end you did nothing to get justice for the murders. And in a bit of irony, I was actually saving up to buy a house in markarth bc it was my favorite city, up until that point where the entire game was revealed to just be a stupid joke of course

Why would they have such a thing in the game? To me, that one quest just makes the entire storyline a joke. I cant even enjoy the rest of the game purely bc of that one storyline. So there is no such thing as good and evil in skyrim? What you do has no relevance on wheather or not you accomplish something good or bad? One of the reasons I have love fantasy so much is that there is no such thing as good and evil, right and wrong, or order and stability in the real world, all those things are just a stupid joke. And I don't like that fact that its the same way in skyrim. That one ****ing stupid quest just ruined the entire game for me. I cant even stand to play it anymore.
    I could not resist replying to this, as I have a solution... somewhat.

Minor Civil War Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Side with the Stormcloaks for the Civil War. When they take Markath, they replace the Jarl, and (I believe) the corrupt guards with Stormcloak men.

That's the only solution I can think of, short of just wiping Markath off the face of the planet.
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

9. - Top - End - #9
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

But then joining the Stormcloaks means losing my favourite jarls and getting my most hated jarls

Spoiler
    Show
    Maven becomes Jarl with the imperials and she's such a wonderful character, and so fun to hear of. Igrod is awesome and she gets thrown off with the stormcloaks, Balgruuf is just made of pure unaldulterated win, especially when you hear his speeches (his speech when you side with the stormcloaks is better, I'll admit), and we keep Skald who's an utter [expletive]. And gain the greymane guy for whiterun who's an arse. And keep Ulfric who I dislike strongly.

Yay I'm Imperial scum!
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Hah. Skyrim. I got it when it was on Steam for something like 25 Euroes for the base game and the two big DLCs.

It's a strange game. I keep trying to do quests. But my character is something like level 30 now and I don't think he's done any.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

11. - Top - End - #11

Until you've seen how good SkyUI is in game, you'll have a hard time comprehending how bad the default one is.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

New Thread? New thread. Carry on.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    But hey, I'm at lvl 40 now, thats definitely the highest I've gotten before.
    Sucks about life throwing a wrench into your gears, but congrats on level 40! I find that at that level I had to considering turning my skills legendary to keep leveling up at a decent pace.

Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
    On the Forsworn Conspiracy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Personally, I joined up with the Forsworn, then right after they gave me the armor, I stabbed Madanach in the back.
    I then got a reward from Thonar.
    Then, immediately after the quest finished, I assassinated Thonar.

I think they both had it coming.
    It's Win-Win for all the Dragonborns!

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    I can't even go into Markarth ): If I do I can never get out, I get infinite loading screens. Regardless of the people within it, I always liked Markarth, I think it's really pretty.
    Strange about the stuck loading screen. What level of graphics do you have your game set? Any mods that increase texture quality? I find lowering the graphics a bit helps with some loading screens.

And yeah, for all it's oddities, Markarth is one of the most interesting and neat cities by architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    It may be silly, but the worst part about the city is ... the beds.
    I do like how the guards comment about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
    No-one ever ends up based in Windhelm, and to be honest, I avoid it more than the Reach.:
    My thoughts on Windhelm~
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well for one thing, to get the house there you have to advance the civil war questline. That's the last questline I usually do because some quest NPCs can get killed and thus the quests become unfinishable (well, without cheating them wuth the console).

Also, the city feels reallly... I dunno, poor? The aesthetics remind me of the winter I spent living in the Bronx. Not a pleasant memory for me. I feel like the merchants there aren't enough for when I need to unload my wares (I find Whiterun and Solitude a bit better for that).
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Until you've seen how good SkyUI is in game, you'll have a hard time comprehending how bad the default one is.
    I've heard some complaints about Skyrim's UI. Something about being too console-oriented.

15. - Top - End - #15

SkyUI helps a lot with that. It's a lot easier and quicker to navigate and search with a mouse and keyboard, and there's a lot more stuff on the screen at once.
    "

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

*shakes head*

I think I've figured out my problem with PC gamers. It's all about mentality.

Console gamers either have to learn to live with what they don't like, or try to influence the developers to patch it.

PC gamers download a mod.

"Well, what's so wrong with that?"

It looses the element of... well, maturity that comes with leaning to live with what you don't want. Being able to just make all your problems go away is, frankly, something I don't want to be able to do. Living with your problems, dealing with the things or people you don't like is a life skill, and a trait I would give up acess to mods to have.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    It looses the element of... well, maturity that comes with leaning to live with what you don't want. Being able to just make all your problems go away is, frankly, something I don't want to be able to do. Living with your problems, dealing with the things or people you don't like is a life skill, and a trait I would give up acess to mods to have.
    See I wouldn't agree with that. Every time I play the Skyrim, it's different. My follower(s), my options for spells and gear, my home, anything and everything can be reshaped to make each experience custom designed for my hero this time around. I can be a dwemer scholar leading an army of automata, wielding a dwemer chainsaw, an articulated dwemer shield, and a dwemer rifle. I can be a martial artist who walks out of every bar fight just a little bit stronger than he walked into it. I can pull Helgen from the ashes or bring the Thieves' Guild to its knees. I can resurrect spells long forgotten to mark my location and recall to it later. I can befriend a flame atronach, declare war on the Thalmor. Every day, every game, my world molds to suit my whim. And the combined genius of so very, very many people bring life to a world greater than even Bethesda could imagine.

Skyrim is a decent game on its own. But modding makes it something glorious, an experience that is mine and mine alone. Oh, sure, it's frustrating. Mods can clash, performance can be hurt, bugs can gnaw. But there are enough static games in this world. I would never give up modding where I have the option.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2013-08-16 at 02:03 PM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

18. - Top - End - #18

Actually, I wouldn't say it's mine and mine alone. I can't mod.

What it is, I think, is that the game transcends the company that made it. The Elder Scrolls commuinty is huge. It's one of the main reasons why I even buy these games. The Developers abandoned Morrowind ten years ago, now, but fans are still working on it. Still buiding it.

You no longer game alone. The game is not between you and the developer anymore. Though it's a single player game, you share it with everyone. You see just how much everyone else loves the game and you take something of theirs into your game.

And yeah. Mods aren't a magical solution to your game problems. They are an extension. They make the game bigger, more beautiful, more alive, but I, at least, never make it easier. Perhaps less frustrating, once it works. But, oh man, getting it to work. You don't snip your fingers. You spend hours checking which mods work with which. Occasionally you play the "deactivate everything, then activate one mod after the other to see which one makes it crash" game.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2013-08-16 at 02:11 PM.
    "

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

By "mine and mine alone", I meant that I don't think anyone uses the exact same collection of mods that someone else does. The possible permutations are astounding.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

To be honest I've never really liked Dwemer architecture. My characters all tend to prefer the wide open spaces of the wilderness over the cramped feeling of underground. I do like the Falmer they're really fun to sneak past on a thief or assassin but the automatons always get me. I just feel so trapped.

Also does anyone else besides me actually like the Stormcloaks? Sure Balgruff is just awesome but I feel the Ulfric has some serious points. While it's true he might not have chosen the best way to go about fixing his problems he did try to fix it in the Nord manor, war. Also the Stormcloak soldiers do seem nicer.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RabidKoala View Post
    To be honest I've never really liked Dwemer architecture. My characters all tend to prefer the wide open spaces of the wilderness over the cramped feeling of underground. I do like the Falmer they're really fun to sneak past on a thief or assassin but the automatons always get me. I just feel so trapped.

Also does anyone else besides me actually like the Stormcloaks? Sure Balgruff is just awesome but I feel the Ulfric has some serious points. While it's true he might not have chosen the best way to go about fixing his problems he did try to fix it in the Nord manor, war. Also the Stormcloak soldiers do seem nicer.
    Wide open? Blackreach has wide open.

Also, yes. Dunno why, but... there are different feels to the imperials and stormcloaks, and the imperials just feel distant, and a tad bit arrogant.

The stormcloaks feel more like they honestly appreciate that you're with them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

22. - Top - End - #22

So question for those experienced in mods, I dowloaded this mod, which adds various animation, is there anyway to use this mod with an existing character?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post

Strange about the stuck loading screen. What level of graphics do you have your game set? Any mods that increase texture quality? I find lowering the graphics a bit helps with some loading screens.
    I have a pretty high end pc so I can run it max settings no problem. It seems this save in particular I have issues with loading screens but normally I can just restart the game and it then works fine. Markarth in particular though...

I can enter it no problem, I can go in and out of doors for buildings in there, but if I try to leave markarth either through the gate, fast travel or console nothing can get me out. I found other people with the same problem on google, some had no mods or anything. I tried changing graphics and turning off mods but it doesnt work. Amazingly I made it pretty far into the game before I ever even went there to find out about it.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    So question for those experienced in mods, I dowloaded this mod, which adds various animation, is there anyway to use this mod with an existing character?
    Having only taken a quick look at it, I don't see why it wouldn't work on an existing character. Maybe redo the installation?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

5E Class: Spellsword

5E Spells: Alternate Damage Cantrips

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with you on that. I can't speak for Skyrim (since I only have that on the 360), but I do have an example for FO: New Vegas. I got NV when it came out on 360 and now have all the DLC. The only DLC I've gotten around to playing is Dead Money. The story for DM was decent, but parts of it were just stupid-frustrating. Having completed it and gotten all the Achievements, I told myself I would never play DM again.

I picked up NV on Steam during the recent sale and have been playing it with mods. Most of the mods are gameplay tweaks, but I found one yesterday that removes the most stupid-frustrating part of DM. Now I want to play DM again, just so I can experience a few things I missed before.

My previous way of dealing with the stupid-frustrating was to just avoid it. To use your phrasing, I didn't "liv[e] with [my] problems, dealing with things or people [I] don't like." I just walked away and refused to deal with it.

Mods don't just make the game easier. (Some mods do quite the opposite.) Instead, they allow you to enjoy the game more.

Quote Originally Posted by RabidKoala View Post
    I side with the Stormcloaks. I just have a problem with siding with people who were going to execute me, just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Proud member of the "I Love Anyway" Club

Thank you, Ceika, so much for the avatar!

26. - Top - End - #26

Or to turn the original argument around: what's so mature about taking your problems lying down instead of doing something against it?
    "

27. - Top - End - #27

On the modding mentality, I see it more along the lines of innovation. Much the same way as an inventor seeing a problem he wants to fix, or an annoying frustration he wants to make easier. He then goes to work designing a device that will do that. Modding is very much the same, but instead of building a motorized tractor to replace hand-plows, the modder writes code or designs a model. Whatever it is that he/she finds lacking in the game.

Frankly, I think that mentality of "just accept the game and deal with its flaws" is harmful to the industry. Modding is the perfect practice ground for future game designers, since they can focus on whatever they want to do without having to join a studio and the responsibility of shipping a full game. This way, they can figure out if it's something they like to do without risk of wasting time and/or money. Plus, it also gives them a useful and practical way to get their work in front of others and receive feedback. Thus, we create the next generation of game developers that already have some experience under their belt, and a dedicated interest in what they're doing.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    But then joining the Stormcloaks means losing my favourite jarls and getting my most hated jarls

Spoiler
    Show
    Maven becomes Jarl with the imperials and she's such a wonderful character, and so fun to hear of. Igrod is awesome and she gets thrown off with the stormcloaks, Balgruuf is just made of pure unaldulterated win, especially when you hear his speeches (his speech when you side with the stormcloaks is better, I'll admit), and we keep Skald who's an utter [expletive]. And gain the greymane guy for whiterun who's an arse. And keep Ulfric who I dislike strongly.

Yay I'm Imperial scum!
    I actually like Vignar Greymane. I was just minding my own business when a vampire and thralls attacked me. Vignar came running up, grabbed the vampire, and then stabbed it vertically into its torso like a boss. He's okay by me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    I actually like Vignar Greymane. I was just minding my own business when a vampire and thralls attacked me. Vignar came running up, grabbed the vampire, and then stabbed it vertically into its torso like a boss. He's okay by me.

For some reason, lots of people seem to forget that Vignar is a Companion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

30. - Top - End - #30

Because he lacks Eorlund's Cool Old Dude chops.