Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default "Sorry Boss..." (3.5 Spell, PEACH)

Gibbslap
    Evocation [Force]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 0
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Targets: One creature
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: Yes

You make a slapping motion with your hand and sigh as if you were disappointed, and a hand of force appears behind the target's head and slaps them. On a successful ranged touch attack, this spell deals the target one force damage, and the target must make a Concentration check (DC 10 + primary spellcasting ability modifier) if they're concentrating on something or lose control of whatever they're doing (such as focusing on a spell or flirting with a hot chick). This check is in addition to the DC11 Concentration check required for taking one point of damage.
    Last edited by Noctis Vigil; 2013-08-18 at 02:31 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: "Sorry Boss..." (3.5 Spell, PEACH)

Even though the concentration checks are relatively low, I'd bump this up a spell level: a ranged touched attack followed by two forced saves, and if either one are failed they lose what they were doing? To me that's too powerful for a level 0 spell, or maybe I'm missing something.
    "This is a crisis. A large crisis. In fact, if you got a moment, it's a twelve-story crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24-hour portage, and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Large Crisis'" - Captain Blackadder

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

BoEF has already beaten you to it, however it had one less save.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmm. I had asked a buddy who knows his stuff for an opinion on this, and he didn't think it was unreasonable, but I crunched some numbers using some basic NPC and PC stat blocks. At L1, this is usually ~50% on the larger check (I'm of course assuming with these numbers that the effected character has at least four ranks in Concentration, and at least a +1 to Con mod, whereas the caster has a caster stat of 18 (+4 mod)). Numbers get a little harder to figure out as levels are gained, but assuming anything like smart character build, this spell is mostly useless around 5th level; the DC11 save becomes basically a "why bother", and the caster stat save might be worth it, but I'd rather just throw a fireball for the damage save at that point. So it meets the prereqs of an L0 spell in my book: slightly useful on occasion at L1, doesn't level worth crap.

Feel free to argue with this if you think my logic is crap; number crunching is in no ways my strong point.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Vigil View Post
    Solid logic and reasoning
    That's fair enough, if the evidence you've come up with says that it's useless around level 5, then yeah, it's a level 0 spell. Just at first glance it did seem a bit powerful but - assuming that you max out your concentration skill - you only need to roll a 3 at 5th level, so yeah.
    "This is a crisis. A large crisis. In fact, if you got a moment, it's a twelve-story crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24-hour portage, and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Large Crisis'" - Captain Blackadder

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, I laughed so hard when I read the spell.

There should be a prestige class that can use a version of this at will, but have it deal only a point of subdual damage.