A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 152
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Five minutes late! Crap!

    Default What goes up...(IC)

    Spoiler
    Show



    Kaiden:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the paladin victorious rides into the temple grounds on his warhorse, he is greeted by the High Priest of Torm. The normally joyful-looking priest is grave, and requests to talk with Kaiden in private. As the pair sit in the High Priest's office, the High Priest, without speaking a single word to Kaiden, begins casting wards and abjurations. Several minutes later, the priest turns to Kaiden and quietly says, "Thay has fallen. The red wizards are shattered. We don't know why."

    Voo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The demologist utters a call that echos through the worlds, forcing obedience and submission. With a crack, a great beast, more than twelve feet tall, appears in the middle of the summoning circle inscribed on the floor of the tower. The balor thrashes against the binding spells that are circumscribed around it, but each syllable is perfect, each rune is without error. A massive sword, blood-red and dripping with fell might appears in the demon's hand, and the balor smites the invisible walls around it once, twice, three times, each strike causing a web of dark purple cracks to appear in the air around it, but the mighty spell holds. A great spiked whip of flame twists out of the air, and rakes the ground, crushing the stone under the balor's feet, but the markings are untouched. Finally, in a voice that is more like that of a lion than of a man, it roars, "WHAT IS YOUR BIDDING, MASTER?"
    And than the balor falls over, dead.

    Talindra:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The forest is concerned. Fearful, even, so much as every being in an area covering hundreds of miles could be afraid. But it is indeed scared. And for the first time in millennia, it does not know why. No strange forest fires, no lumberjacks, no rabid wolf packs, no insane mages twisting creatures to their own fell whims. Everything is almost peaceful. But everything is wrong. The trees feel it. The prey feels it, and stays in it's den. The hunters feel it, and starve rather than face the open air. Those that do... well, sometimes nothing happens. So, for the first time in years, Talindra leaves the forest. Into the world, as everything begins to crumble.

    Denyce
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running is fun. Playing games is fun. Stopping those who would do others harm is fun. So, obviously, dashing through the capitol of Thay with four battle-mages behind her, Denyce was having the time of her life. Spinning around a corner, she skids to a halt in front of an abjurer and a conjurer. In seconds, a massive wall of blue energy springs up in front of Denyce, but not before three daggers are sticking out of one of the red-robes's face. A few seconds later, the two vrocks flying at Denyce vanish into puffs of dust.
    One down, three to go.
    Jumping up a wall and hopping on the roof of a tenement house, Denyce has a fantastic view of the city, lit by a fireball exploding not three feet from where the scoundrel stands. And than Denyce is hurled from the building to the ground. Turning to face the three remaining wizards, Denyce is greeted by the sight of the grand building in the middle of town erupting into a mass of brilliant white energy. And than the earthquakes start in earnest.
    About an hour later, Denyce stands on a hill about five miles out of the city. It is still burning.

    Gixzestryx:
    Spoiler
    Show
    She could still see the dying, if she closed her eyes. Evereska had burned, the dead numbering in the thousands. All of the ancients were dead. Those elves that remained were younger than Gix- still barely adults, in elven terms. The dead had been buried, but the smell of rotting corpses still filled the valley. And so she had left, returning to Silverymoon, yearning for peace.
    But death was still there, just quieter and more insidious. Six minor priests dead, with no visible signs of injury. A few families vanishing, leaving all their possessions behind. Four bloodstained feathers found, belonging to the angel that guarded the Lady Alustrial. The city underground is simmering, pent up and waiting for release. And earlier today, a cleric of Corellon killed two visiting red mages before blasting a large crowd of people with bolts of lightning. Now, a mob charges toward where Gix is sitting in the temple of Corellon. They look angry.

    Astor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Astor sits at a fine desk, in an exquisitely comfortable chair. She stares at the paper in her hand. Blinks. Starts again from the top. Blinks. The theurge shows no visible signs of surprise, nor any emotion. That would be suicide. But...
    Thay is enveloped in earthquakes. Destruction extends from south coast of Thay to Rashemen, and west to Thesh. The capitol city is completely destroyed. The red council is missing, presumed dead. Groups of wizards are press-ganging peasants into militias. Aglarond has mobilized armies. Six battalions of Aglarond soldiers are destroyed, with fourteen still remaining. Four circles of red mages were wiped out. More to follow.
    ...****.

    Gloria:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The enormous stalactite falls with a crack, crumbling on the cave floor. A great groan emanates from the walls of the chamber, and the entire area begins to shake. With a crunch, the large opening collapses. Gloria stands, panting, at the mouth of the tunnel. Gravel bumps against her feet as the shaking slows and finally stops.
    And begins to start again. Quickly, Gloria streaks down the small tunnel, up a narrow shaft, left, right, right, left, up, right, CRACK!
    The abandoned city stretches out before the fey as the tunnel collapses behind her. Safe, for now. Standing before the cyclopian ruins, the mighty fey feels almost... small. A massive misshapen globe of obsidian rests on a pyramid of quartz hundreds of feet high. Muted crashes can still be heard, echoing through the cavern. Gloria pauses for a moment in awe, before slowly floating up to the roof of the hollow and vanishing into a vertical shaft.
    Hours later, Gloria appears on the surface into a nightmare. Vast swaths of farmland, burning. The ground shakes under the fey's feet, and screams can be heard on the wind. And in front of Gloria, a massive pyre, reaching into the sky on the back of a once-mighty city.

    Zaorudek:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A simple task, it said. Infiltrate the red wizards, it said. No trouble for someone like you, it said. Well, look where that got him. Well, at least he got that spellbook off that tharchion before the Aglarondians got to him. Now he had to report back, and hopefully get out alive. How the hell had Shar known this was going to happen?
    A few minutes of concentration, and Zao made contact. Half a minute after that, the angel (or whatever it was) materialized in front of the Ebon Knight. It took a long sweeping glance at the destruction before turning to the masked figure. The angel was visibly perturbed.
    "Find out what happened here. By any means necessary."
    Last edited by Waxillium Lande; 2013-08-17 at 10:24 PM.
    Sleep is for people who don't have purple caffeine monkey wheeeee!

    One for sorrow, two for joy
    Three for a girl, four for a boy
    Five for silver, six for gold
    Seven for a secret, never to be told

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BelGareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ಠ_ಠ
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Kaiden had seen the worry lines on the high priests face, and it worried him, the pontif, was a worrisome man, and had to take global and planar into consideration, but these lines were deep, strong and most importantly, recent.

    Being ushered to sit, he waited for the cleric to finish his wards, he was intrigued, this level of protection was only for the most grave of news, and his ears were not want for disaster when he heard the man speak.

    Raising one eyebrow, he staid sitting. "Thay has fallen?" he simply asked, restating the mans words. His hands were together before him, his elbows on his chair, he steepled his fingers, pushing against each hand with the same force.

    "You don't...we don't know how...but how do we know its gone? Are there any secrets, or happenings, rumors perhaps? what of our caretakers, have you asked the angelic choir of our lord? perhaps they have an insight into this....disaster?" he asked the last part as a question, while the Thayans were not the epitome of goodliness, there was a balance, and they were a part of it. In teh cosmic view of things, any loss of life was disastrous, and their void would be filled, most likely by a larger evil entity. This thing that happened to them...he would have to investigate.

    "I must have to go then? this is something that will require immediate action, would you be able to send me forth? I am only equipped to travel fast, but not vast distances like this..."
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

    Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

    “Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi”
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    greenpotato's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    By Mystra what just happened, Vuthakotharthixaesthyr thinks to herself. She waits a few moments for any sign of motion from the balor but as it's smouldering bulk lies steaming and motionless betwix the sigils and wards she realizes something is very, very wrong. Paranoia begins to creep and the young demonologist takes a frantic look over her shoulder should I approach, is this a ruse?
    "Ko-so, you repugnant little pustule show yourself!" she screeches and seconds later a sheepish little demon appears, "Ko-so, you little turd, something weird has just happened, erase that circle so we can examine the body." the little figure scampers over and begins the task of removing the wards around the now dead balor while Voo herself backs up to the wall, paranoia rising and eyes darting all around the room.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Readied action to begin to cast summon IX if anything odd happens
    Last edited by greenpotato; 2013-08-18 at 12:36 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    San Antonio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Talindra gets up from Lacing her boots to put on her pack and head out. Stopping she takes a look back at her tree compound hoping to see it again when this is done. She heads to check in with the wood elves and Ogian the main druid in the High Forest. After that Talindra intends to visit Waterdeep, Marius her contact might be able to point her in the right direction. If he has no clues or answers for her she just might head to Silverymoon, should they admit her. Once more into the fray old world.

    Haamdar pads beside her in silence. -In elven- You worry too much, we have this under control. Who better to keep the Forest from being destroyed than us? -In elven- He turns his head to give her a dubious look as if to say "yes us...the heroes".
    Last edited by Vertharrad; 2013-08-19 at 04:30 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    material & internet plane
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    "Of course... of course...", he gently replied. For someone of his size, demeanor, and looks (if someone were ever to see what's behind the mask), Zao has an uncharacteristically calm and soothing voice. He continued, "Tricky, but certainly doable. I shall communicate shortly after."

    1
    Getting information from the living is mundanely easy, but getting it from heaps of rubble and debris is another. Brother Kallistrades was right all along--it's hard to rely on the living, and preparing a spell to speak with the dead is ALWAYS a good idea. Perhaps there are survivors somewhere?

    He then started to move, through the shadows cast by the burning ruins, through the soot and the smoke, from one alleyway to another. He keeps his senses as sharp as it was decades ago, back when he had the opportunity to revel in his glory and power, his ever-vigilant eyes out for anyone or anything that could possibly give him a clue.

    Spoiler
    Show
    He looks for clues, survivors, and any unusual events. He has a Greater Arcane Sight up to see if any magic of sorts is present where he goes.
    Spot: (1d20+35)[52]
    If he manages to see something of particular interest, he tries to remember any possible knowledge concerning or relating to it. (+10 from Lore of the Gods)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(Religion): (1d20+49)[69]
    Knowledge(Arcana): (1d20+26)[31]
    Knowledge(the Planes): (1d20+26)[45]
    Knowledge(Psionics): (1d20+26)[36]
    Knowledge(Nature): (1d20+26)[44]
    Knowledge(History): (1d20+22)[25]
    Knowledge(Local): (1d20+26)[28]
    Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty): (1d20+26)[42]
    Knowledge(Geography): (1d20+22)[41]
    Knowledge(Dungeoneering): (1d20+26)[29]
    Knowledge(Architecture and Engineering): (1d20+26)[40]

    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Zealand

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    The traces of ashen mist clings strongly in the air from even from the view of the high grounds. Gloria is sure that the Underdark was affected by the events unfolding in the surface world. The bellow of the earth groaning, weighty utterance that sends tremors so mighty that bury the city that she emerged hours ago, its properties defragmented with the environment at its sealing.

    By now, Daisy and the others would have been evacuated by now. Whoever's work was this....it is definitely an outside interference. Or it is possible for a Thayan to be the perpetrator. But change in the system, the damage could not be that large unless...yes, but let's save that for later.

    Her wings flutters, plunging her into the furnace. It is said that fairy dust would fall like sparkles of starlight. She is different, she is a fey yet she is a different brand, there is no such effects. She is not like those high and mighty, "pure-blooded", her filial line was with the filthy ones.

    She lands, her pinkish hair flopping before drops. Animalistic flames bounces off when they licks her, comparting into embers as if her figure is insubstantial. Black eyes scans the area for signs of life and her ears enlarges it's holes, her magic emanates to the tongue.

    Civilians usually give basic insight to what will be happening but their second rate information would be an alternative and would be dismissible unless it is reliable. Her main priority now is to find the officials to rally what was left, subsuming if any of them had not made it out just yet, to provide a clearance of accuracy. There's a solution if the body remains, it makes things way easier.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Spot - (1d20+49)[6](55)
    Listen - (1d20+49)[14](63)
    Readies Speak with the Dead.
    Casted Glibness.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-08-22 at 12:27 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Garreg Mach Monastery
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Gix sits rubbing her temples, her eyes closed for just a moment. So much death, so much destruction...what was going on? How could Everaska burn, so efficiently and deadly - not something a simple wildfire could accomplish... And now, death had visited Silverymoon in a series of mysterious events. "I don't understand..." she yips under her breath, visibly distraught.

    Her train of thought was interrupted as the sounds of a mob approaching overtook her. She stood up lightning-quick and struck the butt of her staff into the ground, looking over the mob before her. "What is the meaning of this? What is wrong now?" she rasps, sounding quite concerned. Whatever happened in Everaska, if it had spread to Silverymoon she would be the first to join the fight against it.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Medic!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chanute, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Denyce

    Denyce squats down on the hilltop, absently picking up a handful of dirt and ash to rub into her hands as though washing them together. Now that's a job well done...if they weren't called Red Wizards before, they've earned the name now... she has a chuckle at that thought. I should try and meet back up with the others, we were supposed to rendezvous here right?

    She watches the city burn with a sense of deep satisfaction. A lot of life had been lost, but the Gods can sort that mess. You can't clean up a blot like Thay without killing a few germs in the process.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

    Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Five minutes late! Crap!

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Gix:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The mob slows to a halt, pulling up at the steps of the temple. Angry shouts come from the center, and a rough-looking elf at the front yells, "The priests are crazy! We need to get rid of them!"
    As he speaks, a small group of people tries to shove past you into the temple.

    Zao
    Spoiler
    Show
    Smoke coils around Zao, tinting his mask with soot. Charcoal crunches under his feet. Aftershocks of the initial earthquake make the ground shudder as the masked figure slinks through the city, and a burning piece of wood crashes down onto the ebon knight, cracking as it ricochets off Zao's wards. Screams can be heard in the distance, and groupings of wizards can be seen flying over the city. In what used to be a marketplace, Zao can see a group of red-robed figures standing together around yet another red mage in gilded robes.
    With magic-enhanced vision, Zao sees the weave channeling energy, first to the lesser mages, and than through them into their leader (a tharchion, by the looks of his robes). Yet the energy seems feeble, compared to the amounts that you have seen the red mages channel in the past. In fact, the weave itself seems fragile- thin, even, as if it's substance has been taken elsewhere. The weave's shadow is lessened as well, it's murky depths somehow less impenetrable, softer.
    As Zao look on, the circle finishes it's task, and takes to the air, it's leader's hands glowing with readied power. Slowly, the group flies towards the knight, peering into the shadows.

    Voo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Voo's familiar cautiously scratches out a few of the runes surrounding the body of the beast, and than prods the corpse. Aside from licks of steam rising from it's fur, it seems inanimate. No movement, no noise. As Voo looks on, the sword and whip slowly fizzle out, puffing into steam. For a long minute, the balor lies motionless. No death explosion, even. Ko-so heaves a sigh of relief. And than the balor's head looks up, peering at Voo through dead eyes, and says in a quiet, cultured voice,
    "It is returning."
    Again the beast's head drops, thumping on the floor. No more sounds follow- no roars, no explosion, no signs of life. The balor's body simply lays on the floor.
    A few minutes later, a small tremor shakes the tower for a few seconds.

    Kaiden
    Spoiler
    Show
    The aged priest heaves a sigh. "I only got word a few hours ago, and my time since than has been absorbed with divinations. I consulted all the way up to the Master of the Choir. Even that being doesn't know."
    The priest pauses, reaching into a cabinet and retrieving a bottle of strong liquor and two glasses. He pours the amber liquid, and than continues.
    "Look at the glass. See the ripples? You can't feel them, but we can see their effects. The Thaymount was crushed in a massive earthquake, and the aftershocks are crossing the entire continent. The church don't know much about Thay itself yet, but we think that this new disaster is just part of a much larger problem."
    With a flick of the wrist, the priest downs one of the glasses and quickly fills it again, indicating for Kaiden to do the same.
    "I can arrange for you to be teleported to Thay, but our information is several hours out of date. Last I heard, Aglarond was still massing it's troops, but with the Simbul leading the army, Aglarond's forces could be anywhere. Pah! Damned wizards."
    The old man settles into his chair, his years clearly apparent.

    Gloria
    Spoiler
    Show
    The fey sees mostly burned out husks of buildings, and burned out corpses of men and women caught too close to the blast. Large cracks run from the center of the city to it's outskirts, and houses crumble and fall into the newly formed crevasses. Peering intently, Gloria can see several groups of ten wizards swooping around the city. As she looks, Gloria sees a group of dirty-looking men begin firing crossbows at one flight of the red mages. Within seconds, three fireballs of different colors scorch the ground, and the flight slowly drifts on.
    From the third floor of a burning tenement building, Gloria hears a small, high-pitched scream for help. In the window stands a man, holding a small child. He tries to climb down, slips, and falls, ending hanging off a balcony with one hand.

    Denyce
    Spoiler
    Show
    With a rumble, the earthquakes start once more, shaking the hill Denyce stand on. As she balances, she hears the crunch of footsteps in the ash. A few moments later, two harper youths finish struggling their way to the top of the hill.
    "Ah've got ah question fer you, miss." the girl puffs. "Yah have that fancy magic stuff that lets ya fly, right?"
    Without waiting for an answer, the girl continues. "So, why didn't ya just fly outa there? Woulda been a lot easier."
    The girls companion chuckles. [COLOR="Purple"]"Quiet, Dina. We got the bloody book, we've still got our flaming skins, and we got to see some of the finest entertainment this side of the sword coast. Lets get somewhere safe before our luck goes sour."
    Dina smiles. "Now you've done it. We're a'gonna get ambushed by an orc horde, just cuz ya thought ya could get away with tempting fate. Didn't ya learn yer lesson after what happened on that pirate ship?"
    Sleep is for people who don't have purple caffeine monkey wheeeee!

    One for sorrow, two for joy
    Three for a girl, four for a boy
    Five for silver, six for gold
    Seven for a secret, never to be told

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BelGareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ಠ_ಠ
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Kaiden nods as the older man talks, and accepts the glass of amber liquid. swirling the liquor he does as bidden and notes the ripples, wise words from wise men, he was used to be surrounded by lofty talk in riddles angels and archons, normal men, even if they were some of the most powerful men in existence, were much easier to be around.

    He accepted the deflated high priest with a knowing look, it wasn't easy to deal with strange tidings as these, and this little meeting was most likely out of frustration as to what the hell he should do.

    It was apparent the Simbul thought it necessary to send forces to Thay, how that would help is beyond him, perhaps a force was remaining? he shrugged and thought wondering on the unknown was irrelevant, ripples...ripples were happening, and they needed to act.

    They needed to do something.

    "This is truly a strange event, strange times for old men." he sighs with regret, some sort of distant idea fluttering in the back of his mind before being blown into darkness with the heaviness of the present. "Aye, we need to do something, we should call our brothers to temples, have them stand fast, protect those who cannot do so, alert them...something is coming, perhaps that can save some?" he sighs again, waving his hand "Who knows, but we should at least try, the Brothers should be alerted at the very least, pull our forces closer to us, perhaps I should go to Simbul? Ask her what in the Nine she is doing? what does she think will be accomplished? Sending troops to her death is all I can think off, that and scaring the hells out of every other country!" taking another swig of the offered liquor, which burned sweetly in his throat as he downed it "But something needs to happen, I'll meet her there I guess, we need eyes on, once I get there, I'll find someway of communicating with you." He puts the glass back on the table and stands, "no better time than the present."
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

    Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

    “Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi”
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    greenpotato's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Voo tenses at the words that course from the dead lump's lips but barely has a chance to ponder what it is before the rumbling shocks her even more. She rushes to the nearest window frantically gesturing for Ko-so to follow, the little beast leaps up to her shoulder and they peer together out the window and to the barren stretch of land at it's base "Keep you hideous eye's peeled you mongrel" she hisses at the demon now clutching onto her.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    material & internet plane
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    As the group came closer, Zao stood still, his right hand gently leaning for balance on what looked like a quarterstaff. He let some of his magic be revealed on purpose, the eyeslits from his porcelain mask now glowing with a familiar azure dweomer. It's but a passive display of power—a preemptive warning of his minimal capability when pushed to make the difficult decisions; nothing more, nothing less.

    Despite the potentially awful words that would spill forth from his mouth, his voice will remain as friendly and gentle as that of a morning breeze softly touching one's skin, a tone which is allegedly despised by many brusque, rough and tough Thayans.

    "Ah. The famed Red Wizards! Seems like you arrived a moment too late, seeing as this once-great abode is now...", he paused momentarily, trying to find the appropriate words, but to no avail.

    "Well, quite frankly, I don't even know how to describe what in the great abyss has transpired here."

    He then tilted his head slightly, almost as if quizzically asking to be enlightened.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Repost, since I forgot to make the necessary social interaction checks.
    Diplomacy: (1d20+48)[68]
    Sense Motive: (1d20+36)[48]
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Medic!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chanute, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Denyce

    "I could've flown out, but you know me, I like to keep things simple!" she chuckles and tosses a wink to Dina. She goes through the motions, checking all her daggers even though she knows they're all accounted for, then reaches out and ruffles the other Harper's hair playfully.

    "Orcs are a real fear, y'know...after the bath those pirates gave you, the orcs would give one sniff and realize you aren't on their side!" Denyce sticks her tongue out at the youngster before wrapping one arm around each of their shoulders to start the journey back to turn in their mission-objective.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

    Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Five minutes late! Crap!

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Kaiden
    Spoiler
    Show
    The priest cracks a smile. "Heh. I'd like to see you trying to tell off the Simbul. The gods know she deserves it, after all she's put the rest of the world through. Course, I can't blame her, given the kind of neighbors she has..."
    Letting out a hacking cough, the priest stands, dusting off his robes. "Come on, I'm sure there is someone in this temple who can teleport you out east. To the foyer!"

    Voo
    Spoiler
    Show
    The small tremor lasts for about half a minute before shuddering to a halt. No more disturbances follow, and the only sounds the demonologist can hear are the snaps of the summoning circle releasing it's magical energy. Soon, all is silent, and the tower, the corpse, the familiar, and the mage all are completely still.

    Zao
    Spoiler
    Show
    The flight slows to a stop in front of you, and the tharchion raises his bronze-capped staff and points it directly at you. His body begins to glow with dark purple energy, and he stands in the carefully relaxed position of one ready to fight, should it be necessary. "It might do you well to take a more respectful tone. I do not care to be mocked."
    At the same time, the nine mages accompanying the tharchion all bring their hands up in front of their faces, ready to cast.

    Denyce
    Spoiler
    Show
    The pair of harpers stands, Dina checking her greatsword while Simon pulls out a spare component pouch and belts it to his shoulder.
    "Pah! Not after Oy went through that flaming hellhole, 'ey wouldn't! I feel like a bloody chuck of ash, I do. Ah well, Oy'l survive."
    The trio makes their way more than ten miles out of the city, crossing from charred rock hills to fields of dead grass. Far out on the horizon, Denyce catches sight of a long, narrow shape undulating over the plateaus many miles out, slowly heading for the ruins of the city.
    Sleep is for people who don't have purple caffeine monkey wheeeee!

    One for sorrow, two for joy
    Three for a girl, four for a boy
    Five for silver, six for gold
    Seven for a secret, never to be told

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Garreg Mach Monastery
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    "Now, now, hold on just a moment. Whatever is happening isn't affecting just the priesthood. There's no reason to attack them specifically," Gix attempts to placate the mob's aggression. "I have been here for some time and the priests have not attacked me; considering the situation, one could theorize that the incident with the priest is a case of mind alteration. What we need to do is keep this from becoming a full-fledged riot, because then many more things will go wrong," she says, trying her best to maintain a calm tone.

    Just in case the mob isn't satisfied with her answer, she readies a spell to keep them out of the temple. Violence, especially misguided violence, needed to be avoided right now.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Readying an action to cast a Wall of Force big enough to seal off the entrance to the temple should the mob continue trying to force their way past.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BelGareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ಠ_ಠ
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Kaiden smiles at the old mans words, rebuke the Simbul indeed, it would be an interesting conversation.

    Nodding, he waits for the man to move through the door, he had after all cast all the dweomers, and who was he to lead the way, he was not the high priest, even if they were similarly ranked.

    Setting a slight grimace upon his stern features, he followed him to the foyer and waited for the spellcaster who could help them, while he waited he fingered his legendary sword, Patience, ironically impatient himself, what would he find there? Who had done this? He knew others would be mobilizing, most likely to a lesser degree than the Simbul, but perhaps not?

    He stood and waited upon the mortal machinations of men.
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

    Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

    “Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi”
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Zealand

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Feather Fall!

    The verbal component for the spell trigger drift upwards until it reaches the man and the baby.

    Jump now! My spell will slow your descent.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-08-20 at 03:02 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    material & internet plane
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    "Mocking? Ah, my *cough* apologies for the misunderstanding! To mock was never my aim; quite the contrary, in fact! Admittedly, the accoutrement makes the supposed intent hard to *cough* interpret.", Zao replied with proper emphasis. He made a quick mental note to resist his coughing mannerism—an artifact of the past to feign weakness and senility.

    In contrast to his lack of visible facial expression, Zao's accompanying non-verbal gestures were smooth and theatrical, albeit a bit exaggerated, to invoke feelings such as surprise, realization, and respect. He's been doing such acts for as long as he can remember (indeed, he tires of it), but never at such a hostile environment where he is also outnumbered.

    "The recent mysterious and catastrophic events seems to be some part of a grand plan, and this left one of my clients troubled, fearing his domains will be the next ones in trouble. And now here I am, looking for clues.

    Zao straightened his posture, slowly nodding and motioning his empty hand in a contemplative manner. "Perhaps... perhaps I could strike a reasonable deal with someone who could provide useful information regarding this."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+38)[41]
    Not sure if this was needed, as his statements were vague enough while still being technically true (i.e. definition of clients, and whether he was sent by that client or merely here for another purpose)

    Diplomacy: (1d20+48)[56]
    Not sure if I need another roll by changing the circumstance/tone/deal based on the enforced Diplomacy rule

    EDIT: If anyone of them tried something stupid such as to cast a spell on him (and isn't of the instantaneous Creation type like the Orbs), he momentarily turns on the AMF, and then turns it off again shortly after
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2013-08-20 at 04:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Medic!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chanute, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Denyce

    Pointing out the figure in the distance, Denyce signals to Dina and Simon to crouch down. She begins moving them in an intercept course to close the gap between them and the creature to get a better look at it.

    The beginning of a familiar back-and-forth eases the tension of the road, "Simon did you bring the spyglass?" Knowing full well they never remember to bring one along, she asks as part of their little group ritual to set everyone into scouting mode.

    The trio creeps along, staying low to the ground to hopefully avoid notice, attempting to gain a vantage point to identify the creature.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+30)[50] Hide - (1d20+38)[54]
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

    Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Five minutes late! Crap!

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Kaiden
    Spoiler
    Show
    The old priest ambles through the foyer, down a flight of stairs, through a hallway, and up to a small wooden door. Taking out a large bronze key, the priest opens the lock and shoves at the door, which swings open with a deafening screech. As a few monks poke their heads out of side rooms to look for the source of the noise, the priest leads you into a small room full of all manner of scrolls, wands, staffs, and other magical nick-knacks. The priest peers first up onto a small shelf, than into several dark green bags, muttering to himself. This goes on for several minutes before the priest seems to remember something. Towards the back of the room, the priest opens a large chest and vanishes down inside it, muttering, "Somewhere in here, I think..."
    A few minutes later, you hear the sound of feet coming up a flight of stairs and the priest re-emerges, carrying a dusty orange orb. "Here it is- anywhere specific you want to go? Or maybe just the general thayan area."

    Denyce
    Spoiler
    Show
    Peering closely you can barely make out banners and the blurry features of thousands of soldiers, tramping along at a slow march. At the same time, you hear a roaring in the air as several great circles of red mages jet through the air towards the approaching army.
    Dina gives a low chuckle. "'member when ah said sumetin about a horde? Ah think maybe ya shoulda listened better."
    Simon laughs. "Really though, oy do think that we should be capable of evading them, if we wish to do so."

    Gloria
    Spoiler
    Show
    The father leaps, slowly floating to the ground to safety before collapsing into a coughing fit. Slowly, he picks himself and his child up and stumbles over to you. "Th-Thank you. I don't know how I can repay you, but... *Coughs violently* Thank you, anyway. I would get out of here if I were you- The Simbul won't hesitate to attack if Thay is weak."
    The man picks up his daughter and turns, walking away from the city.

    Gix
    Spoiler
    Show
    The mob members closest to you slow somewhat, more out of confusion than any real desire to reason with you. Still, the mob's intensity is somewhat diminished, and some of the enraged chanting halts. The same elf who spoke for the mob earlier shouts, "If the priests are the ones under mind control, obviously they are a danger to all of us! The gods are displeased with them!"

    Zao
    Spoiler
    Show
    The thayan smiles- obviously, the discussion is moving onto grounds he is better equipped to deal with, and with a flicking gesture he signals his assistants to lower their hands. "I could come to a deal. I survived the explosion at the castle. I know what transpired there. But that information is very, very valuable. So, what exactly will you offer me?
    Sleep is for people who don't have purple caffeine monkey wheeeee!

    One for sorrow, two for joy
    Three for a girl, four for a boy
    Five for silver, six for gold
    Seven for a secret, never to be told

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    greenpotato's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Voo looks frantically out the window "Nothing!?, what is going on here?" she mutters aloud. Calm down idiot she thinks to herself. "Hmmm, I wonder if it was just a one off, maybe a message?" She says to Ko-so to which her only response is a mumbled excuse in abyssal "I.. er.. uh.."

    She tries again, casting first magic circle against evil and then planar binding to call a horned devil. (both with spontaneous demonologist slots)

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Medic!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chanute, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Denyce

    "Oh, avoiding them should be as easy as pie, but the question is, who are they and are the Reds going to join them or rain nine kinds of hell on them...either of you recognize the banners?"

    The scout hugs the terrain, her gut itching, torn between her desire to strike out at the Thayans and her duty to complete her mission. Losing the tome would cause more harm... she lets out a sigh as her body relaxes into a state of calm readiness.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

    Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    material & internet plane
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    "Well, I find it in poor taste to offer someone of your grand stature petty material gains. However, my contacts and connections allows me far better options", Zao wickedly smiled as he realized all the powers he already has.

    "Assassination? Espionage? Intel? Political Leverage? Do note that this is business, and as such follows a strict schedule." He stopped to ponder for a moment, wondering as to how exactly lead this conversation in the direction he opts.

    "Personally, of the three, information gathering is the most delicate process, and may require some time. Surely pays off the most, though, which... should answer the silly question of why a lone man would risk going to such dangerous environment as this." The tone gradually changed; the soft, soothing tone became serious, proper, and no-nonsense, which is a tad ironic considering the last sentence coming off as some attempt at humor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (just in case): (1d20+36)[52]
    Bluff (just in case): (1d20+38)[49]
    Diplomacy (just in case): (1d20+48)[53]
    Spot (still actively observant): (1d20+35)[52]
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2013-08-21 at 07:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Zealand

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Gloria sees the man off, not before giving a soft thanks. The counting of the mutilated dead bodies unsettles her mind. Still Simbul....it does refers to one of the Seven Sisters, does it not? I need to remember the details of Red Wizards before I interrogate them.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Knowledge checks on Red Wizards

    Knowledge (History) - (1d20+19)[7](26)
    Knowledge (Local) - (1d20+19)[17](36)
    Knowledge (Nobility) - (1d20+19)[4](23)
    Knowledge (Religion) - (1d20+19)[20](39)
    Bardic Knowledge - (1d20+23)[16](39)


    While she's doing this, her hands automatically caresses the charred remains as she passes through them.

    Equinoctial scales of justice rings in swift wings,
    Ye lord who claims the righteous, who claims the wicked,
    Herd this departed soul from the bindings of life,
    May thou watch over thee until next judgement.


    She recites a prayer to Kelemvor.

    Gloria turns towards the direction where the ten wizards had flown to.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-08-22 at 12:30 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Five minutes late! Crap!

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Voo
    Spoiler
    Show
    The horned devil materializes, giving the binding a cursory check for accuracy and strength before proclaiming, "Business, yes?"
    Ko-So grimaces, whispering, "See, that's the trouble with Baatazu- they never really bother testing you. They'll just wait, and do as you say, and let you come to them. No sense of... style."
    OOC: going to assume that you can beat it in any check.

    Zao
    Spoiler
    Show
    The wizard nods and pulls a desk out of a pouch on his belt.
    "Time is indeed a concern. You urgently need to find out what happened here, and I have a strong desire not to die. Therefore, I propose this- I will tell you part of what happened over the course of the last few hours, and you will kill someone for me. I will than tell you another part of the events, and you will ensure me a safe place to live. Finally, I will give unto you the last third of the events."
    The wizard holds up a piece of paper, covered in legal writing. A second paper on the desk shows a series of strange circles and hexes- the language of Mechanicus.

    Denyce
    Spoiler
    Show
    The army is still much too far off for it's identity to be realized, but it is plain that it is not friendly to the thayans. As it draws nearer, flashing lights appear above the body of the army, fireballs erupting both in the ranks of soldiers and above in midair, while prisamistic colors flash, betraying the presence of powerful abjurers. Despite the presence of more than fifty red wizards, however, few evocations actually seem to reach the army.

    Gloria
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Please, if you aren't translating from another language, don't do this:
    I need to confirm the identity set of the Red Wizards in this current period and their ways before I extract from them information.
    Just say something like, "I need to remember details about the red wizards before I interrogate them".
    IC: Gloria recalls that the red wizards are an incredibly powerful order of mages that rule the land of Thay in an iron-fisted mageocracy. They gain power through joining in circles, several weaker mages giving up power to one stronger mage. The land of Thay is ruled by the Zulkirs, each of which specializes in one school of magic, and has (officially, at least) absolute power over that school's practitioners, and the tharchions, each which rules one region of Thay. Thay has attacked the neighboring kingdoms of Aglarond and Roshone many times, but in the most recent decade it has come to an unsteady peace (mostly due to the fact that the Simbul, ruler of Aglarond, can wipe out an army four times before breakfast, and still have enough power left to fight an archfiend to a standstill).
    The circle of wizards has stopped and is hovering in midair in the far western portion of the city.

    Also, just to make sure- none of you are reading the bits meant for other people, right? I just want to check (not that I doubt you).
    Last edited by Waxillium Lande; 2013-08-21 at 11:48 PM.
    Sleep is for people who don't have purple caffeine monkey wheeeee!

    One for sorrow, two for joy
    Three for a girl, four for a boy
    Five for silver, six for gold
    Seven for a secret, never to be told

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Garreg Mach Monastery
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Gix

    "The priests have been targeted, but so have others. Many terrible things are happening; as I said, you just need to calm down before more casualties occur." She looks from the speaker to the rest of the mob. "I witnessed the destruction of Everaska - the terrible fires, the death... and here, I have seen the attacks and disappearances. Yet I am not ready to end the lives of the priests who may or may not be the target of whatever foul work is upon us."

    "Now, I ask you to disperse as peacefully as you can. If you try to pass, I will make you stay out."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Keepin that Wall of Force spell readied in case one of them tries to push past me. It'll appear in a way so as to block passage into the temple (or further in).
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Medic!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chanute, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Denyce

    Watching the fireworks show captivates the girl for a bit, but before long she decides it's time to get going. "Well, children" she snickers playfully, "let's be on our way before the aftermath of that battle makes our lives difficult."
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

    Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BelGareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ಠ_ಠ
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Kaiden silently follows the other man watching as others peered around stone balustrades and pillars, nodding and smiling at them as they did, and then smirking as they quickly retreated to what they were doing upon seeing who had made the gods awful noise.

    As the man came back with the orb and the questions, he thought for a moment, "To be honest, I haven't been there before, send me to the general area and I'll have to go from there, perhaps right on top of the city...or where it was?"
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

    Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

    “Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi”
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    material & internet plane
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    A safe place to live? How pathetic; the information better be worth this meaningless trouble.
    Zao find himself surprised at how much patient he has developed over the years. Despite his confidence of being able to lay waste on the whole group including the Tarchion himself, he's better off with more friends than enemies. However, signing contracts is a delicate procedure as well

    "That sounds like a fair proposal. However...", he looks and points his staff at the document streaked with strange symbols, "first, you need to give me details on who my target would be; second, I won't be signing on any paper with strange symbols that I don't understand."

    He reverts back his attention at the wizard, mellowing back his voice. "Simple business courtesy; failsafe against fine prints, tricks, and all that. I'm sure you'd understand." He then tries to gauge the group of any ill intentions, particularly the Tarchion's.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+36)[43]
    Bluff (just in case): (1d20+38)[48]
    Diplomacy (just in case): (1d20+48)[50]
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Zealand

    Default Re: What goes up...(IC)

    Gloria, propels herself forth, trying to figure out any factions that have good ties with the Red Wizards. Contracts and bargains be damned. Involving the matter of Simbul's in the bluff may work. If she succeeds in her favour, she might offer them "a compromise."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Knowledge checks for other organizations that have good relationship with the Red Wizards.

    Bardic Knowledge - (1d20+23)[14](37)
    History - (1d20+19)[16](35)
    Local - (1d20+19)[11](30)
    Arcana - (1d20+23)[8](31)
    Religion - (1d20+19)[15](34)
    Planes - (1d20+19)[8](27)
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-08-31 at 11:45 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •