New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The Dashing Swordsman [PrC]

Dashing Swordsman

There is more to combat than brute strength. For some, their sharpest blade is their tongue. These Dashing Swordsman are renowned for their quick swordplay and quicker wits. For the most part, these swordsmen are unable to rest in any one place–instead, they roam the world in search of adventure and glory.

d8 HD

Requirements
    To qualify to become a Dashing Swordsman, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
    Alignment: Any Non-Lawful
    BAB: +6
    Feats: Dodge, Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Finesse
    Skills: Bluff 9 ranks, Tumble 9 ranks, Perform (Comedy) 4 ranks

The Dashing Swordsman's class skills are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
    1st|+1|+0|+2|+0|Bonus Feat, Dashing Strike
    2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0|Quip
    3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|Dramatic Entrance, Fast Like A Freak
    4th|+4|+1|+4|+1|Quip
    5th|+5|+1|+4|+1|Too Pretty To Die
    6th|+6|+2|+5|+2|Quip
    7th|+7|+2|+5|+2|Greater Dashing Strike
    8th|+8|+2|+6|+2|Quip, Surprising Entrance
    9th|+9|+3|+6|+3|Rapier Wit
    10th|+10|+3|+7|+3|Better Lucky Than Skilled, Quip
    [/table]

Class Features
    All the following are class features of the Dashing Swordsman prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    You gain proficiency with the rapier, sap, short sword, and whip. You gain proficiency with all light armor.

Bonus Feat (Ex)
    At 1st level, you gain Combat Expertise as a bonus feat, even if you don't already meet the prerequisites for it. If you already have that feat, you may instead gain any feat which has Combat Expertise for a prerequisite as a bonus feat.

Dashing Strike
    (Ex)
    You gain the ability to strike your foe with your sheer force of personality. Whenever you hit a foe with a weapon to which you can apply the Weapon Finesse feat, you may make a witty pun or spout a catch-phrase. You must be able to speak in order to do so, but your foe need not be able to hear nor understand you. If you do, then you add your Cha modifier, rather than your Str modifier, to the damage roll.

Quip (Ex or Su)
    At 2nd level, and each subsequent even level, you learn a quip. Whenever you use your dashing strike ability, you may choose to use a single one of your quips along with it. You may use each quip only once during an encounter. You may use each quip a total number of times per day equal to your Cha modifier. Some quips have minimum class level requirements you must meet before you can learn them. The quips you may learn are as follows:

“Cat Got Your Tongue?” (Su)
    When you use the “cat got your tongue?” quip, the enemy you strike must make a Will save, DC 10 + your class level + your Cha modifier, or be silenced, as the spell, with caster level equal to your class level. The silence affects only the enemy you strike–it does not emanate from him. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to your class level. You must be at least a 4th level Dashing Swordsman in order to learn this quip.

“Don’t Let Your Guard Down!” (Ex)
    When you use the “don’t let your guard down!” quip, you attack ignores any damage reduction the enemy struck might have. You must be at least a 4th level Dashing Swordsman in order to learn this quip.

“Gotcha!” (Ex)
    When you use the “gotcha!” quip, you deal an additional amount of damage equal to half the number of ranks you have in Perform (Comedy).

“I’ll Be Gentle!” (Ex)
    When you use the “I’ll be gentle!” quip, you attack deals only subdual damage. However, you deal an additional 1d8 points of damage.

”Just Quit!” (Ex)
    When you use the “just quit!” quip, the enemy you strike must make a Will save, DC 10 plus your class level plus your Charisma modifier, or take a -3 penalty on all attack rolls it makes against you. This penalty increases by one for every two class levels beyond 6th you have. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to half your class level. You must be at least a 6th level Dashing Swordsman in order to learn this quip.

“Looks Like That Hurt!” (Ex)
    When you use the “looks like that hurt!” quip, the enemy you strike must make a Fortitude save, DC 10 + your class level + your Cha modifier, or be stunned for 1 round. You must be at least a 6th level Dashing Swordsman in order to learn this quip.

“Ooh, Burn!” (Su)
    When you use the “ooh, burn!” quip, your attack deals an additional 1d6 points of fire damage.

“Watch Your Feet!” (Ex)
    When you use the “watch your feet!” quip, the enemy you strike must make a Reflex save, DC 10 + your character level + your Cha modifier, or fall prone.

“You Fail!” (Su)
    When you use the “you fail!” quip, the enemy you strike must make a Will save, DC 10 plus your class level plus your Charisma modifier, or take 1d6 points of Charisma damage. Even if he successfully saves, he still takes 1 point of Charisma damage. You must be at least a 6th level Dashing Swordsman in order to learn this quip.

"You'll Feel That One!" (Ex)
    You may only use the "you'll feel that one!" quip when you successfully score a critical hit. You gain a luck bonus on the roll to confirm the critical hit equal to your Charisma modifier.

Dramatic Entrance (Ex)
    At 3rd level, you leap into action just in the nick of time, catching the perfect moment for maximum dramatic effect. Whenever you make a particularly striking entrance, as determined by the DM, you gain a number of benefits. You do not take any damage from hazards of the entrance, such as breaking through windows or leaping through flames. Any enemies that see you make the entrance must make a Will save, with a DC equal to 10 + your class level + your Charisma modifier, or be dazzled for 1 round.

Fast Like A Freak (Ex)
    At 3rd level, when wielding a melee weapon that you can apply the Weapon Finesse feat with, you may feint within it in combat as a swift action.

Too Pretty To Die (Su)
    At 5th level, you can dodge unavoidable blows through sheer force of will and luck. As an immediate action, you may grant yourself a luck bonus to AC equal to your Cha modifier until the beginning of your next round. You may only use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Cha modifier.

Greater Dashing Strike (Ex)
    At 7th level, whenever you attack a foe with a weapon to which you can apply the Weapon Finesse feat, you may make a witty pun or spout a catch-phrase. If you do, then you add your Cha modifier, rather than your Str or Dex modifier, to the attack roll.

Surprising Entrance (Ex)
    At 8th level, you can catch your foes off guard if you make a dramatic entrance. If you make a dramatic entrance immediately before the start of combat, you receive a +5 morale bonus to your Initiative check and may act during the surprise round, if there is one, even if you normally could not.

Rapier Wit (Ex)
    At 9th level, the critical threat range of any melee weapon to that you can apply the Weapon Finesse feat to is doubled when you wield it. This does not stack with other effects, such as the keen edge spell or the Improved Critical feat, that improve a weapon’s critical threat range.

Better Lucky Than Skilled (Su)
    At 10th level, Fate bestows her favors upon you. Once per day, at the beginning of an encounter, you may choose to draw upon supernatural luck. For the duration of the encounter, whenever you make an attack roll, skill check, ability check, or saving throw, you may roll two dice, and choose which die roll to use. However, after using this ability, you become drained. You are exhausted, and cannot use any of the spell-like or supernatural class features of the Dashing Swordsman class until you have had eight hours of rest.

Credit to the Giant for the idea.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2007-06-30 at 10:16 PM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Dashing Swordsman [PrC]

Where would the world be without you, Demented One?
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    Where would the world be without you, Demented One?
    Slightly saner.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    Slightly saner.
    And who would want that?

No one, that's who.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

About time. =P

Just got to mention this, though...

Combat Expertise requires 13 int, which a certain webcomic character almost certainly doesn't have.

Combat Finesse, seeing as it replaces your strength bonus with your dexterity bonus, would be useless to another certain webcomic character who has 10 STR and 10 DEX, though that's not to say that one couldn't take the feat anyway.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    About time. =P
    Combat Expertise requires 13 int, which a certain webcomic character almost certainly doesn't have.
    Bah! Combat Expertise opens the door to nifty swashbucklery things like Improved Disarm and Improved Feint, so Elan had better smarten up. Anyway, I personally think it's he's lacking in Wis more than his Int.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Requirements:
    Feats: Skill Focus (Bluff, Tumble, or Perform(Comedy))
    Cha of 14

Get rid of the Fort high save.

Some other ability ideas:
    Bonus damage dice on a crit (+1d6 at L 2, 4, 6, 8, 10)
    Cha Bonus to confirm criticals.

I dislike the "You can use all Quip abilities X times". It discourages players from using "weaker" Quip abilities. Or is that not intended?

I'd actually give the class the ability to take Combat Expertise somehow, even if the character doesn't have the int. Heck:

Quick Witted:
    The Dashing Swordsman character may substitute Charisma for Dex and Int prerequisites of feats.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Requirements:
    Feats: Skill Focus (Bluff, Tumble, or Perform(Comedy))
    Cha of 14
    That strikes me as a bit odd. For one, making a high-skill point character take Skill Focus is just plain cruel. Also, having an ability score-based prerequisite just strikes me as a bit odd. The only class I know of that has one is the Dwarven Defender

Get rid of the Fort high save.

Bonus damage dice on a crit (+1d6 at L 2, 4, 6, 8, 10)
    Cha Bonus to confirm criticals.
    Might work these in as quips.

I dislike the "You can use all Quip abilities X times". It discourages players from using "weaker" Quip abilities. Or is that not intended?
    The idea is that they start off using the weaker ones, and move on to the strong ones as they gain levels. I'd like to give them a way to use weaker quips more often, but that could require a fair deal of paperwork.

I'd actually give the class the ability to take Combat Expertise somehow, even if the character doesn't have the int.
    Maybe a bonus feat?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

"Can use each Quip the character posseses 1/combat. In addition, the Dashing Swordsman can reuse a quip up to the Charisma Modifier times/day."

This encourages wide use of different Quips. :)

That strikes me as a bit odd. For one, making a high-skill point character take Skill Focus is just plain cruel. Also, having an ability score-based prerequisite just strikes me as a bit odd. The only class I know of that has one is the Dwarven Defender
    And the stat requirement is pretty redundant -- who would be a Dashing Swordsman without high Cha?

But the skill focus thing makes sense. This is intended for low-dex low-int low-strength high-cha characters who want to be able to fight. Requiring Dex based feats defeats the inspiration of the prestigue class.

Your classneeds 13 int and 13 dex. The two Dashing Swordsmen we are basing the class off -- one has average dex, the other has below-average int!

That just won't do.

How about a 3 level cycle?

L 1: Ability
    L 2: Bonus Feat from a list
    L 3: 1 Quip, +1d6 crit damage
    L 4: Ability
    L 5: Bonus Feat from a list
    L 6: 2 Quips, +2d6 crit damage
    L 7: Ability
    L 8: Bonus feat from a list
    L 9: 3 Quips, +3d6 crit damage
    L 10: Ability

Bonus feat list:
    Dodge, Mobility, Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Focus, Two-weapon fighting, Greater two-weapon fighting, Two-weapon defence, Combat Expertise, Blind-Fight, Spring Attack, Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, Improved Trip, Improved Criticals

The Dashing Swordsman may subsitute Cha for Int or Dex as a prerequisite for any feat on the bonus feat list.

Crit damage:
    When using any weapon that can have Weapon Finess applied and in Light Armor, the Dashing Swordsman does extra damage on critical hits.

Quips:
    Any given Quip can be used once per combat. In addition, the Dashing Swordsman may repeat a Quip in a fight a number of times equal to her charisma modifier per day.

List of Quips.

This version has 3 bonus feats, 3 quips, +3d6 damage on crits (which encourages using Rapiers!), and 4 Dashing Swordsman abilities.

The bonus damage on crits is actually pretty weak -- it only applies on about 30% of hits. So that's an average of +3 damage per hit -- pretty small.

Of course, practically, we should really wait and see what the OOTS dashing swordsman can do. :)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

"Can use each Quip the character posseses 1/combat. In addition, the Dashing Swordsman can reuse a quip up to the Charisma Modifier times/day."

This encourages wide use of different Quips. :)
    Brilliant. I'll add this in, and consider your other suggestions once I wake up tomorrow.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, what about skills?

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I have to say, 2d6 cha damage is massive. It'll put down most animals (admittedly not much of at challenge by that level), maybe require the enemy to be intellegent? (as requiring them to understand you would severly weaken the other abilities). I like the idea of letting him substitute cha in place of int and dex prereqs.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    Brilliant. I'll add this in, and consider your other suggestions once I wake up tomorrow.
    I worded it not quite perfectly. The intended idea is you get a free use of each Quip once per combat.

Then, in addition, you have (cha bonus) charges of Quip you can use to reuse quips in combat. (the more charisma, the better you can pull off the repeating of tired lines, and still sound sharp...)

Or just restrict it to one use of each quip per combat, and total quip usage of charisma.

Going further down the rabbit hole, and stealing ideas from Iron Heros:
    Dashing Token: You can have at most your Charisma Bonus in dashing tokens at any one time.

Your base Dashing Token amount is your Dashing Swordsman level/2, rounded down. If you have fewer Dashing Tokens than this, you can regain one as a Swift action by making an amusing remark. In general, it is assumed you will have this many tokens at the beginning of a combat.

When you burn Dashing Tokens, if the burn roll is greater than your current number of tokens, you lose all of your tokens and the effect fails.

Every minute (10 rounds) that you have more dashing tokens than your Class level/2 rounded down, you lose 1 Dashing Token.

Dashing Strike:
    Make a witty pun or catch-phrase when you attack. You can replace your Strength bonus to damage with your Charisma bonus.
    If you have a Strength Penalty, simply add the two quantities. Gain 1 Dashing Token whenever you hit an enemy.

Dashing Critical:
    Whenever the Dashing Swordsman gets a critical hit, she gains 1d6 Dashing Tokens.

At L 2, your Critical hits do an extra 1d6 damage. This bonus increases at L 4, 6, 8 and 10 to 2d6 to 5d6 respectively.

Dashing Entrance:
    If you make a dashing entrance (DM's call), roll the appropriate skill. For every 5 DC you beat, gain 1 Dashing Token and +1 to initiative on your first round.

Skills that can be used to make a Dashing Entrance include Tumble, Disguise, Bluff or anything else that seems Dashing.

It is possible to have a Dashing Entrance while surprised -- for example, swinging a rope into a room full of unexpected ambushers.

Dashing Parry: Full round action. Burn 1 Dashing Token.

Roll d20 + BaB + Cha modifier + To-hit enhancement bonus
    This becomes your AC for the round. You cannot use Dashing Parry two rounds in a row.

If you are missed in melee combat while executing a Dashing Parry, you gain 1 Dashing Token.

The Dashing Swordsman may move up to her base move while executing a Dashing Parry.

Dashing Quip:
    Burn 1d6 Dashing Tokens to use a Quip. Add one to the cost of using a Quip for every time you have used it previously in combat.
    You can only use a given Quip once in a combat.

Insert quips here, and what levels you gain them.

Dashing Riptose:
    Burn 1d6 Dashing Tokens to gain an attack of opportunity against someone who missed you. You can only do this once per attacker per round, and each use consumes an AoO.

Dashing Defence:
    When flat footed, the Dashing Swordsman gets to replace her Dex bonus to AC with a Cha bonus to AC. This uses 1 Dashing Token.

Dashing Swing:
    Burn 1d6 Dashing Token. A Dashing Swordsman may move in an unconventional way. Make a Tumble Check against DC of (# of feet you want to move). On success, the Dashing Swordsman moves that distance, gains a Dashing Charisma bonus to hit and AC, and may make one attack against any target along the path of movement. The Dashing Swordsman does not create AoO from a Dashing Swing.

The Dashing Swing need not require swinging from something -- but it does require a cinematically plausible move. Swinging, running along a wall, and sliding down bannisters are all appropriate.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2006-12-18 at 10:07 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

i love the firelfy references.
    i think there should onnly be one use of a quip in combat. like you couldnt say "ooh burn" twice or whatever
    can we add more quips?
    Disatar is awesome. My namesake below by the ingenious Dr.Bath.
    [Image removed - too large]

Spoiler
    Show

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bears With Lasers
    Originally Posted by Dhavaer
    How many hit points would an earth-sized planet have?
    All of them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    I have to say, 2d6 cha damage is massive. It'll put down most animals (admittedly not much of at challenge by that level), maybe require the enemy to be intellegent? (as requiring them to understand you would severly weaken the other abilities). I like the idea of letting him substitute cha in place of int and dex prereqs.
    I agree that the "you fail" quip is too powerful. The "just quit" quip is rather excessive too IMHO - particularly since it has such a long duration. Moreover, neither of these two quips allow a saving throw, unlike some of the others.

You might want to place a limitation that these effects do not stack, in case there is more than one Dashing Swordsman in the party. Another possible game balance limitation might be to require the player to select the quip before the attack roll is made, to allow for failure (though that is arguably not 100% characterful ).

Otherwise, nice. The HD, BAB, weapons, armour and saves as well as the overall feel are just right.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

I liked the feel of this class^^
    It's all loosy-goosy.
    Totally getting something nice here, when the time is right that is.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

I must admit i haven't gone trough the whole thread, but this prestige class seems way overpowered to me. The too pretty to die, steel storm and quip(at least some of them) class abilities are just too strong. The "you fail" quip is for example a quick way to disable a barbarian or sorcerer. And some of the others are way too strong too. And i'd limit the quips to 1use/day of each.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

A friend of mine and I sat down and did our version of the Dashing Swordsman. It was pretty much the same, with differences occurring in the abilities:

Quip:
    A character makes a witty remark, not by making a role, replacing STR with CHA for all attacks using a rapier or similar weapon.

Irresistable:
    A Dashing Swordsman is lucky to leave a tavern unmolested. While not in combat, may make eligible partners swoon (paralyzed for one round) with a wink or amorous gesture. Is never without partner.

And my personal favorites:
    Extradimensional Rope
    A dashing swordsman always has a rope to hand. Regardless of the time or place, if the situation calls for a rope to swing on or climb on, one is to hand, the right length, and effectively unbreakable. Our diagram was like the crocodiles. Note that this rope may be secured on the ceiling, or a passing cloud, or the moon, as necessary.

Abnormal Strike
    The Dashing Swordsman can wield his blade against anything to unique effect. A character should tell a DM first, get approval, then may use the blade however necessary (it sticks into a stone wall, or force wall, or sphere of annihilation unscathed, physics and magic can catch up later).

19. - Top - End - #19

I enjoy this way to much. Must not join next level. Its so sexy.
    [url=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53501]

50 Unconfirmed Rumors About 4th Ed!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I agree with many who have said this. Some of the quips are too powerful. Also, there was another DSM class thread that had the "tag" ability, where you would use a rapier to inflict a small, demoralizing, cut to taunt the opponent. Also, you should probably make an ability that adds CHA to AC and keeps Dashing Swordsmen from wearing armor, since Julio and Elan aren't right now.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiving_Ninja View Post
    Also, you should probably make an ability that adds CHA to AC and keeps Dashing Swordsmen from wearing armor, since Julio and Elan aren't right now.
    That would be the "too pretty to die" ability.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm kidding I love it. It seems balanced. It gets Beelzebub's Seal of Approval

23. - Top - End - #23
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

I've got to agree that the Just Quit and You Fail quips are overpowered. Just Quit first can be fixed by adding a Will saving throw to resist. You Fail needs to have a saving throw (Will again? Or maybe Fortitude?) and reduce to 1d6 CHA damage at most.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I am TOTALLY going to take levels in this on my current campaign :D

A doppleganger dashing swordsman... I'll be the first!

25. - Top - End - #25

Flumph

Shouldnt "Do you get my point?" be a quip? It's the only one we've heard.
    Witch Razor Blood Sage
    (Links both lead to ToB disciplines I made!)

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by pyrefiend View Post
    Shouldnt "Do you get my point?" be a quip? It's the only one we've heard.
    It's just a witty remark used with Dashing Strike. No way does Elan qualify for any Quips yet.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

I dunno. You should be able to sacrafice Bard levels to gain Dashing Swordsman levels at a rate of 1 Bard level every time you gain a Dashing Swordsman level. :)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

There's still no class skills or skill points per level. Has anyone else noticed?

Sorry, it's just driving me crazy.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    There's still no class skills or skill points per level. Has anyone else noticed?

Sorry, it's just driving me crazy.
    Should be pretty much the same as Bard, no?

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of URL View Post
    Should be pretty much the same as Bard, no?
    The skill selection maybe, but the no. of skill points should be lowered. I think.