New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Chuubo's] Fortitude: The Glass-Maker's Dragon IC

Natalia looks at the store's inventory with barely noticable hesitation... But that's just for a second or two. She doesn't actually do anything on her own.
    "Alright, let's move on. Feel free to come with us if you want to, crown. We should probably obtain one of those small carts for carrying things around, before Leonardo's arms falls off." The thought of actually carrying some of it herself crosses her mind briefly, but she dismisses it without really realizing why. Also, there was something just said that was strange... And she suddenly realizes what it is. Natalia turns to Rinley, looking at her piercingly.
    "Rinley, you mentioned a chatroom. You actually have internet? In this place?"

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #482
    Barbarian in the Playground

As Rinley exits the shop, she turns and looks mildly aghast at the crown.
    "Don't say that about yourself! Everyone deserves have a name! I'm sure we can help find one that suits you."
    Rinley turns to Natalia.
    "Of course we have Internet! Sometimes. Not too many people have a connection in Fortitude, and it's always pretty spotty since it's coming from the Outside, so there's no telling what sites may be available- or how much sense they'll make! My brother sometimes hangs around the computer club from School."
    Rinley thinks for a moment.
    "I bet Leo could help you too, if you really wanted to try using it. He could make some sort of Eschatological Computation Engine!"
    She points to the window
    "Jasper, you need to try on that jacket."

Spoiler
    Show
    With my mighty powers, I create Town's internet infrastructure! NO ONE CAN STOP MEEEEEEE
    Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins! Three cheers and all that.

The World's Greatest (and only) Deceiver Askblog!

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

"There are Internets at some of the cafés around here, I think," Miramie volunteers. "We could go visit one of them once Jasper's finished her shopping. Maybe you could show us around, mis - uh, your - ah... I'm terribly sorry, I don't know the proper form for addressing a duchess's crown...?"
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #484
    Banned

As they left the store, the weight on Leonardo's arms had gotten considerably heavier. Apparently Jasper had really liked that store and had picked up a lot of clothes in it that, for some reason she couldn't really articulate, had ended up in his hands while she was paying for them. "Rinley is right. You have to have a name, it's just depressing otherwise!...If you want one, maybe crowns don't want names." She'd gone straight from a look of concern to being a bit sheepish, she might well push her own human-centric perception on a spirit after all. "And we might try to visit one of those cafés. But I also wanted to try karaoke when we were here. It sounds fun."

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Natalia nods, looking determined and serious. "I don't have internet at my house, not here - I didn't know the Town even has it. It'd be very useful for me for research. And everything, really."

"We can visit one of those cafes when Jasper finishes, yes. Are you done...?" Natalia seems to hesitate, as if something was bothering her - not just now, but almost from the start of the trip. Also, no comments about karaoke, but that's probably unrelated.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #486
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Don't worry on this matter", the crown says eventually. "I know who I am perfectly well, I don't need a name to remember myself. But if it bothers you that much, I wouldn't mind you calling me something."

As the group walks on, the stores seem to get more and more interesting. Window-shopping is never as appealing as in Arcadia. 'Science and You', says the sign on front; inside all sorts of tools interesting to a scientist can be seen. 'All About MMA', says another, with similarly obvious contents. 'Definitely not an Entrance to an Underground Cyborg Bear Fighting Arena', says yet another, in a small tea shop front, its main waitress winking confidentially. 'A Far and Sunless Land', says a small and moody coffee shop sign with helpful maids and butlers dressed all in black. It seems only a bit inappropriate.

The group must be in a nice area of Arcadia - talking signs are somewhat expensive, even if they're far from the oddest thing around. But eventually, one shop catches everyone's eyes: 'Soleil', a strange net cafe/karaoke hybrid. Evidently, they rent rooms with karaoke, and have internet and computers.

"Oh, this seems nice," the crown says, appearing to nod.

"Oh no," says Leonardo, in a dull tone of surprise; one can only imagine why.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

"So," says Miramie, with the air of someone about to confess a vaguely embarrassing secret, "I've... I've never actually had karaoke before. What's it like?"

8. - Top - End - #488
    Banned

"I don't know either. I've heard you sing, but you don't really know what you sing." Jasper's expression turns thoughtful as she shrugs slightly. "But let's go in and try, it should be fun anyway. Even for those of us who can't sing very well." There is a short pause. "Like me. I never really got a hang of it."

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't worry. Nobody is good at karaoke. It's designed to help you make a fool of yourself."
    Natalia's serious gaze and far-reaching pose, like an admiral looking over at the horizon, does not entirely match what she said. Or at all.
    "...Not that I'd know about it." She fails not to sound awkward.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #490

"Than it's settled, Avery!"
    Rinley looks away from the crown, to her deliberating friends.
    "It's true! Nobody's good at karaoke. But nobody's bad at it either! If it helps, I can go first. Or maybe we could start with a duet!"

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

"Duet," Miramie echoes. "Because... karaoke is something you sing, not something you eat. As everyone knows. It would be silly not to know that, haha."

She coughs and hurries on. "Um - that sounds nice. The duet, I mean. You'll have to help me with the words, Rinley, I've never sung karaoke before..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Flipping quest card over to Suspicious.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2015-02-23 at 07:09 AM.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Banned

Me nodded, practically beaming for a moment, turning to Natalia. "And then we can do one together afterwards!" The Russian had to be great at it and having somebody else to sing with would probably it easier for her to relax and let go.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

In response to that, Natalia gets still. She grabs her elbow, trying not to fidget, not to glance around uncomfortably, and desperately keeping a straight and focused face. She can't just admit that the only time she sang karaoke for real, years ago, it ended up a major embarassment! And to make it worse, Jasper's the one who wants to sing with her - no matter how they do, the sunny girl will probably be cheerful and happy in a way that burns Natalia's heart, in a way she can never even approach herself. This is going to be awkward.

"...Alright. We're taking second round.", Natalia says after a moment, quietly.
    She doesn't want to be a spoilsport. Others tagged along to fight Typhon (except Miramie, but with how shy and vulnerable the library girl seems to be, who can blame her?), she can participate in this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Poor Miramie, so awkward. Have an XP.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #494

After a flurry of action involving renting a room and ordering a light lunch at the karaoke bar/cafe/internet lounge Soleil, Rinley finds herself pulling Miramie up to sing a duet. She looks at the selection of songs.
    "We could do a classic shanty or traditional local song; or we could go for karabroke and hit the 'random song' button. It's a very tempting button.
    Miramie?
    "

Spoiler
    Show
    When singing happens, I'll use Storytelling 2+1 will; should there be an obstacle I'll invoke the region property: You must have a good time.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Banned

Jasper gave Natalia a small smile and nodded, her expression understanding. Sometimes people needed a little push to let go and dare to have fun and a private booth with friends seemed like the best place for that.

"Why not try something a bit different from what you're used to? This place doesn't seem very suited for traditional." Not that she really knows what exactly is traditional, but it certainly seemed more wondrous and more dynamic than Fortitude and it seemed like it would fit better. She was also very quick to thumb through the catalog to see if there were any good songs for her and Natalia to sing.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

"Says the girl wearing ancient Chinese clothing.", Natalia comments, aside-glancing at Jasper.
    "...Alright. I'm not sure what you mean, but alright. Sounds like you have an idea set in your mind already." Most of this experience belongs in the 'a bit different from what she's used to' category already. More than a bit, in fact.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #497
    Banned

"I'm here because I wanted to buy something more normal." Jasper pouted slightly at Natalia's words. It only lasted for a second, though. "But I meant Rinley and Miramie and their pick."

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

"... random," agrees Miramie. She might regret that, but it's probably no more risky than letting Rinley choose a song. Right?

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

"...Ah.", Natalia says, after an awkward pause. "Yes, I know. I referred to them as well."
    She's as stone-faced as usual. But the reason for it seems to be different than normally.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #500

*boop*
    "It has been pressed!"
    Upon seeing the selection, Rinley begins to smile and looks to Miramie.
    "Let's duet!"

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

It's clear from the moment they begin that Miramie actually has quite a good singing voice, a soft clear contralto. It's also clear that karaoke is not her preferred medium. She starts a second too late and continues on in that vein, stumbling over lyrics as she tries to catch up. She could be good at this if she practiced, she knows it. But there’s no practice! You just get up and sing something you’ve never heard before, right in front of everybody! (‘Everybody’ in this case consists of Jasper, Natalia and the fellow minding the bar, but it’s the principle of the thing.) Why would people do this for fun? Wouldn’t they rather rehearse and do it properly…?

The song has grown on her a little by the time they finish - there were a couple of points where she and Rinley actually sounded pretty good together! - but she’s still relieved when the music dies down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Devoting 1 point of Will to form an Intention: Sing Karaoke. I might be able to get away with Grace for some types of singing, but I feel like Art fits better here. Miramie has Art 0... so, final intention level 1.