New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dallas-Dakota's Dastardly and Devious Dancing Debate of Random Banter #198

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Ah.
    Yeah, music is my bag now. Not sure if I made that abundantly clear, but...

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dallas-Dakota's Dastardly and Devious Dancing Debate of Random Banter #198

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    Yeah, music is my bag now. Not sure if I made that abundantly clear, but...
    Hm. I suppose you could play some music-based board game...

3. - Top - End - #363

Hm. I suppose you could play some music-based board game...
    "Your rock group has ham-fistedly inserted current electronica trends into their music, to much critical ire; Go back three spaces"

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

There's also a monetary issue. I buy my music, see. And, as I'm sure you've noticed in the "What Are You Listening To" thread that I tend to be kind of a "current" guy so I gravitate towards more recent releases.
    *nods* As you wish. I listen to things on youtube or bandcamp most of the time; I don't have the funds (or frequently the means) to purchase everything I like to listen to.

*shrug* Earth Rocker's a good album, and while I think you'd like it better if you listened to Clutch's earlier stuff, it's fine on its own.

On the note of what I said earlier, have you listened to Rush's new album? (well, it's from last year, but that's still pretty new for me).
    A few odds and ends.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

"Your rock group has ham-fistedly inserted current electronica trends into their music, to much critical ire; Go back three spaces"
    Ha ha!

6. - Top - End - #366

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    On the note of what I said earlier, have you listened to Rush's new album? (well, it's from last year, but that's still pretty new for me).
    Nah. I've gotten over Rush in a major way. Even their "classics" don't do anything for me anymore. I prefer more "abstract" prog, these days.

Ha ha!
    I'd play it.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Is that a tally for women in total, or just women wearing kilts?

*shudder* Small children. You never know whether you're supposed to squish them, or if someone would mind if you did that.

You'd think they would have arranged it a little better.
    Maybe for super attractive women, but I think it was mostly people going to the party who were dressed up in anything other than travel clothes. I'd have said that about a third to half of the people I saw were women or female-girl-children.

Usually you bake them into pies, as I recall. They're good people though. And I'd swear I saw a castle when I was driving to find their place.

20 stations for processing people, last year 40K-odd people showed up. I think too many people thought it would be OK to go through late, since we showed up around 8:20 and the line was 1.25 times around the building, through the lobby, and through a huge maze in an auditorium sort of room. Finally got to the building around 9:45 and out of the building at 10:26, give or take.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2013-08-30 at 12:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haluesen View Post
    Hmm, huh. When you put it that way it does make more sense. I've been thinking about it as not liking a food but enjoying things that taste like it. But thinking about it in terms of just different ways of making things, then yeah that does make sense that a lot of people are that way.

It is still very much hard to get over this fear. Even for my health. I am hoping that I do not need to have my blood checked until such measures are invented. I agree needles are best but that doesn't make me fear them any less, or think at all that this fear is rational.

Oh, those are not good things to do. Eat well and sleep as is possible and befits you. I admit, I need to work on my own caretaking. I eat okay but sleep is very hit and miss. As far as my health, I do feel quite better though my appetite is very odd right now.

I would too prefer that this happen. Sigh, differences in people and cultures and all that...til then, I learn to convert.
    Quite a number of things make more sense when you think about them in a certain way.

Alas, you are very likely to require to have your blood checked before the development of such technology, mainly because I doubt such a technology will be invented during our life times.

I often find myself with a poor appetite unless food is provided. I have a feeling that my medication suppresses my appetite as I sometimes find myself desiring of a midnight snack, which would be about when it starts to wear off.

In that case, I suggest using Google. I for one find the Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion particularly annoying to perform in comparison to the rest of the conversions from Imperial to Metric.

Hm. What is the avatar of, anyway?
    Oh, I'd already finished by the time you made your post, but it was a ponifcation of Galuf from Final Fantasy Five. I think it turned out well.

Yeah... it's much harder to go to sleep when the ambient temperature is hot enough to make you sweat. AC and fans are so very nice.

Hrm... Do late spring/summer. Mornings in August/September can be fairly cold (well, for you, anyway. I merely find them pleasantly cool, but I like cold weather), but they're pretty temperate in May/June. Around here, at least - I can't speak for the rest of the US.

I think my skin is naturally tinted a slightly yellow colour - it's what colour my skin ends up with if I've not gone outside in a long time and have lost my tan (in addition to being paler). I also tend to look yellow if I'm ill or dehydrated. *shrug*

Depending on which feeling you mean. If you mean the constant feeling that something's under your fingernails due to calluses... never. That feeling doesn't go away. You'll be able to ignore it eventually, but that really depends on how fast you get used to change. If you mean the painful feeling after playing a lot... that'll go away when you get proper calluses and lose a modicum of your tactile sense, although it'll still hurt if you play to the point that you've got blisters on your fingers, but I don't advise doing that. (now, I have done this several times - in fact, I've played to the point that the strings have cut open my fingers... Bass still has some blood on it from that. Ah, that was a good show... ).
    Unfortunately, prolonged exposure to air conditioning gives me a headache, and there is the electricity bill to consider,

But on the one hand, if I visit during at least part of the Autumn, I can see what the fuss is with deciduous trees. I mean, I can see snow here in Australia, but not a whole forest turned red and gold. Well... Unless it's on fire, and that's more hellish than magical...

Perhaps you should consult a physician. You should have your liver checked out just in case. After all, a life without one is short and agonising.

In that case, I shall have to get used to it. In the meantime, I shall continue fidgeting as a result.
    As for pain, that's mostly stopped, but then I don't really play particularly loudly, mostly because I don't want to disturb the household, and secondly because I always play softly. I need to work on getting some volume.
    That and getting some actual guitar music rather than practising out of a book for clarinet...
    (Bad Amidus, you should clean blood off things so it doesn't stain.)

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    True. I despise raw rocket salad (rucola), and find sun-dried tomatoes meh at best, but in a rucola and sun-dried tomato pie, they're divine...

That's all true...

Hmm, you should get a bike with a good carrier...
    Hmm... Personally, I would likely hate such a pie. But then, I'm rather boring when it comes to food.

Indeed. Businesses exist to make money after all, and if that means being efficient, then so be it.

Here you're assuming I can ride a bike. However, I lack the balance required to do such a thing, so that idea is going into the "discarded until I can convince Mynxae to become a beast of burden" pile.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Like eeeeevery roooose has it's thoooorns.
    Until you plant a practically thorn-less variety.

However, while checking that there are indeed mostly thorn-less roses, I came across a most inspirational saying from Germany:
    "Instead of complaining that the rosebush is full of thorns, be happy the thorn bush has roses."

I just wanted to share that with all of you before continuing.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Sigh... But... That would require me trying to figure out what the hell the curtain attachment system is in my bedroom and then actually be bothered to go and get new curtains that are dark enough! Tbh, the curtains are not going to help much at all with the clocktower's loud banging.

Hey, it's not like I'm not used to sitting naked in 110°C! Besides, the kitchen at my place is too tiny to hang out with, you do the essential things and then move yourself to the living room as the heat does get a bit unbearable in that small bastard of a kitchen.
    ... Anyways, my point is, 25°C is torture, honestly, unless you get to spend all of your day in a lake or with a nice cold summer breeze.

Why is it official, now?

Heavens... I hate curtain attachments...
    Anyway... The reasons why one would hang all that fabric is to help dampen the noise. One does learn a little bit about acoustics from observing the carpeted walls of the practice rooms in the music block in high school. Trust me, it's all you can really do save for changing the clock over to a digital one, and I rather doubt the city council will let you.

How can you complain about the heat, yet spend time in a sauna? It really confuses my poor Australian brain...

As for why its official, umm... I put it into writing?
    *shrugs*
    I really do not know.

Wait, you mean we actually exist?
    Well... I know that I do on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturday afternoons before four.

So, separate from all other things I wrote and to anyone who wishes to read it, I am honestly not feeling so great. There's...kind of a bit going on and some bad thoughts on my mind, some things that could potentially likely happen, some things that have me stressed, and the more I try to not think of it the more I end up thinking of, even imaging worst case scenario conversations with people that I really shouldn't be doing. It's just...I don't want to go into details on it, and if I did I don't think I would have the words for it. But a year or two ago keeping this to myself and pretending to be all giggles and grins would have been easy, natural. Events and people in that time frame have made it impossible now for me to keep things like this hidden. Whether that is a good or a bad thing, I'll have to think about later. But yeah, keeping that inside was proving too hard. So I can say this much. I hope the depressing feeling and the fear and stress go away soon. And now I feel like I am saying too much. *hide under bed*
    Oh dear... That is indeed one of the worst sensations. I do hope you start to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    My esteemed Elemental, I take exception to your prescriptions enumerated in your post above me: for reasons.

And those reasons are these, that there is the possibility also of budgies being in wardrobes who pose no threat to clothing at all; whether they are there to spy on the owner of the inhabited robes I cannot and will not speculate, but no matter --

what was I saying? Oh yes, moth balls and camphor are irritating to budgies, and shaking any garment too vigorously could expel a comfortably napping budgie from its soft feathery coil within a pocket.

Also it is very important that lots of fabric is stored together in dark places so that the budgies have lots of soft fluffy folds and corners in which to hide, and if their little black eyes glittering amidst the soft shadows seem to observe quite a bit about their environs and the activities carried out therein, well I cannot be bothered to speculate about their motives except to say that they are naturally curious creatures and that such motives are undoubtedly innocent.

So please, folks, my purport is thus: do not investigate your wardrobes too thoroughly, and do not go out of your way to minimize the hiding places within; just let the budgies go about their assigned duties, and go about your own normal business as usual, and don't think too much about it and everything will be just fine.
    Personally, I would find it exceedingly odd for budgies to be able to get into my wardrobe as I have conducted tests that indicate that opposable thumbs are a requirement for opening it. Nevertheless, had I moth infestation, which I do not fortunately, I would be forced to kindly ask any avian interlopers to vacate the premises, or forced to be subject the whatever chemical weapons I seek to employ against those creatures that desire to destroy my good clothing.
    In the meantime, I will make arrangements for them to rest elsewhere. Perhaps among the tablecloths we store in the drawers in our dining room.

However, I can see no non-suspicious reason for budgies to make such pains to conceal their presence in my household when they could so easily convince me to part with delicious and nourishing foodstuffs from the pantry if they but flew onto the veranda and regaled me with their song.
    Do budgies like honey?

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    ...is anyone else starting to get worried about a budgie conspiracy?
    Not really. I still have my secret weapons.

I really appreciate how you've put this list together, however, there's nothing new we haven't tried.

Simply put, nothing's helping the issue. The only way that we've managed to lower the amount of moths is how I basically have 90% of my clothes hidden out of moth-accessible areas, which means I've got half of all this crap in my luggage and the other half in my drawers. And it sucks, because I have clothes that are supposed to be hanging from the rail I've got, but eh, what's impossible is impossible.

We have cedar, we have lavender, we have all sorts of things that are supposed to make clothes moths run away and die, but they just won't.
    No worries. I was rather interested in the topic for some reason.

Hmm... That is indeed a worry... I think that one can get bags to put things in that one can hang... I'm not really sure though...
    Do you have carpet? Because they go after carpet as well. If that is the case, all I can suggest is a regime of heavy vacuuming combined with washing the carpet with pesticides. And I cannot reiterate more: Clothes moths hate light, especially Sunlight. If you hang things in the Sun for a few hours, then the larvae will fall off in search of somewhere darker.

If all else fails, you may need to fumigate. You know, bring the full weight of human industrial science down on their heads. If in the process of doing that you remove any fabric from the apartment, make sure to wash it all in hot water so you don't just spread it to wherever you're staying in the meantime.

Alternatively, release parasitic wasps that lay their eggs in the larvae of other insects. That works too.

I think this may be a very good method of diminishing the human population as well. It can get a bit cold in the winter...
    Bah. People survived for uncounted millennia before they decided to make use of central heating. And besides, you only really need to heat one or two rooms if you think about it.
    Of course, I can't really talk because I'm over here in warm and sunny Queensland, so... Yeah.

It's like birthdays. Why do we celebrate that, again?
    Because in times past, people kept dying young because of disease of one sort or another, often Consumption. After all, back then, everything we've worked so hard to develop cures for was often fatal.
    Thus, when you survived another year, it meant your parents didn't have to bury you before you had even reached adulthood.

Of course, this is probably the most depressing take on why we celebrate birthdays... But it makes sense.

That's the issue with bands that have released a lot of good music... things get compared to the old stuff. I wouldn't recommend picking up and listening to Black Sabbath's new album without being at least reasonably familiar with their first couple of albums either. The only bands that don't really fall into that sort of group are ones that change their style frequently; bands like King Crimson, or Rush, where a lot of the albums stand alone pretty well.
    This is the advantage of listening to the music of people who died long before you were born. They never release anything new.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If it bothers you enough to make the sort of mention of it here that you did, I'm comfortable calling the combination of little stresses a bad thing. Glad you're doing better.

*nods* I'm really just lazy and difficult to motivate.
    Hmm...this is very true. Okay I will concede the point, oh wise Amidus. And I am mostly better. Better enough. School stress is always a bother that I need to learn to handle. I am also tired, seeing as how it is nearly midnight over here.

Heh, I'd play this. Someone make this! I don't have the time to right now. Unless people are patient enough. I have a big enough poster board to construct a wonderful board game.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Quite a number of things make more sense when you think about them in a certain way.

Alas, you are very likely to require to have your blood checked before the development of such technology, mainly because I doubt such a technology will be invented during our life times.

I often find myself with a poor appetite unless food is provided. I have a feeling that my medication suppresses my appetite as I sometimes find myself desiring of a midnight snack, which would be about when it starts to wear off.

In that case, I suggest using Google. I for one find the Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion particularly annoying to perform in comparison to the rest of the conversions from Imperial to Metric.
    And some things make sense if you don't think about them at all. (I just really wanted to say something wise sounding.)

Yeah...but I can hope. Still you are likely right...and it will probably be my hardest fear to deal with.

Hmm, yes that does sound like a likely side effect. As for myself, my appetite seems to have returned to normal, though I possibly ate too much ramen noodles today. End of the month, we usually are on the short end of varied consumables. I take some allergy pills (that for some reason help my stomach problems) and they tend to make me tired, that is the only effect otherwise that I notice.

Yes true. Who even came up with this wild formula? I will likely take your advice here. Still wish I had grown up learning Metric as well as Imperial.

Well... I know that I do on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturday afternoons before four.

Oh dear... That is indeed one of the worst sensations. I do hope you start to feel better.
    Heh how do you know, what happens during those other times then? Is it like falling asleep? Or is it perhaps as blinking and seeing the world change before your eyes?

Kinda sorta am. Still stressed and I think the worries are starting to make me ill. But I have less stress than earlier and I look forward to watching a movie this weekend. So while I may not feel grand, I do feel better, which works well to me.

Wow a lot of writing here now. I am almost certain that there will be much more while I write this up. And I know there are many time differences and all that, but I do want to say good night to all, as it is late here. Well mostly late. Nighty night all!
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Nah. I've gotten over Rush in a major way. Even their "classics" don't do anything for me anymore. I prefer more "abstract" prog, these days.
    Hrmph. *shrug* To each their own, I suppose, although I personally think Clockwork Angels is one of their better albums. It's not so much prog anymore (or at the time, for that matter, although their late 70's/early 80's stuff was pretty close to it); just prog-influenced. If you don't go looking for it as a prog album, you won't find it to be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Usually you bake them into pies, as I recall. They're good people though. And I'd swear I saw a castle when I was driving to find their place.

20 stations for processing people, last year 40K-odd people showed up. I think too many people thought it would be OK to go through late, since we showed up around 8:20 and the line was 1.25 times around the building, through the lobby, and through a huge maze in an auditorium sort of room. Finally got to the building around 9:45 and out of the building at 10:26, give or take.
    Heheheh Hey, castles are nice. I like the look of stone buildings.

*nods* Perhaps. I'd think that's the sort of thing one wants to show up about an hour or two early for, so when it takes two hours to get through the line, you actually get in when you want.

Unfortunately, prolonged exposure to air conditioning gives me a headache, and there is the electricity bill to consider,

But on the one hand, if I visit during at least part of the Autumn, I can see what the fuss is with deciduous trees. I mean, I can see snow here in Australia, but not a whole forest turned red and gold. Well... Unless it's on fire, and that's more hellish than magical...
    *shrug* It's never really bothered me, unless someone doesn't have it set cold enough.

*nods* The trees don't really change until mid-late autumn, though... they're all still pretty green here. If you wanted to see both summer and fall, you'd have to make a much longer trip. If you remind me in a month or two, I'll take a picture of the trees in colour.

Perhaps you should consult a physician. You should have your liver checked out just in case. After all, a life without one is short and agonising.

In that case, I shall have to get used to it. In the meantime, I shall continue fidgeting as a result.
    As for pain, that's mostly stopped, but then I don't really play particularly loudly, mostly because I don't want to disturb the household, and secondly because I always play softly. I need to work on getting some volume.
    That and getting some actual guitar music rather than practising out of a book for clarinet...
    (Bad Amidus, you should clean blood off things so it doesn't stain.)

This is the advantage of listening to the music of people who died long before you were born. They never release anything new.
    Well, it's not really an issue now... also, I'm far too stubborn and proud to consider going to a doctor unless it's both obvious to me and rather serious. I'm opposed to accepting treatment for things that my immune system is capable of dealing with on its own.

Aye, it's good to practice softly, but doing so loudly is better, I think. You could always play outside, if you're worried about disturbing your family; I'd frequently go outside to practice at home. (as often I would be playing in the middle of the night, and didn't want to wake anyone up).

If you're looking for guitar music, just pick a few songs you like and look up tabs for 'em. Easiest way to go about it.

The instrument's body is coated in epoxy and other finishes... I couldn't stain it if I wanted to. Most of the stuff's rubbed off, actually.

I would consider that a disadvantage; most new music that I've heard (in the genres that I like) has been excellent.

Hmm...this is very true. Okay I will concede the point, oh wise Amidus. And I am mostly better. Better enough. School stress is always a bother that I need to learn to handle. I am also tired, seeing as how it is nearly midnight over here.
    *nods* Heh, me, wise. Believe what you wish, but know that I disagree on that point.
    A few odds and ends.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

That's pretty cool. I still have motion sickness sadly, but that doesn't stop me from getting on rides!

No, the fear of heights does that.
    Heh, yeah, thankfully I have nothing against heights apart from a healthy respect. I will tread carefully next to steep cliffs, but I don't mind it if I'm securely fastened.

Yay, we are all meaningful! Everybody, hug Teddy! *hugs*
    Yay! :3
    *hugs*

Yeah, I guess that does generally describe him I guess. I have no clue why he finds it fun.
    Well, different people are different, but yeah, the thought processes behind such actions mystify me as well...

True, or I can just ask her when I see her.
    Good point.

Hmm so do you draw frequently? I admit that other than with my class I do not. Not that I don't enjoy drawing, but it's just an occasional hobby to me.
    Not really. I like drawing, but as a pastime, I doesn't interest me enough to justify taking time from something else to spend on it...

Hmm... Personally, I would likely hate such a pie. But then, I'm rather boring when it comes to food.
    Define "boring". I'm rather picky with food myself and dislike a lot of common taste enhancers, like cheese or hot spices...

Here you're assuming I can ride a bike. However, I lack the balance required to do such a thing, so that idea is going into the "discarded until I can convince Mynxae to become a beast of burden" pile.
    Is your balance significantly worse than the average so that biking will be nigh impossible for you, or do you just don't want to go through the process of learning how to bike with the balance you have? :smallcurious:

Bah. People survived for uncounted millennia before they decided to make use of central heating. And besides, you only really need to heat one or two rooms if you think about it.
    Of course, I can't really talk because I'm over here in warm and sunny Queensland, so... Yeah.
    Well, I think that under some definition, a fire pit at the middle of a cave could count as central heating as well...

ION:
    We had our second session of Boot Hill yesterday, and still no casualties. We were tasked with making our way up a plateau and getting inside the ruins of a monastery to save the daughter of the hacienda owner who'd been kidnapped by bandidos. Any sane group would do this by playing desperados and getting recruited or otherwise invited up to the monastery and then work their way from there, but we're anything but a sane group, so we decided to climb up a collapsed pass on the other side and attack from there.

Cue a long series of hilariously bad rolls from the guy with the most skill, and we're spotted by 4 Mexicans at the top, deciding to kill us all (there were 5 of us, btw), and they're all behind chest-high cover. This would be a lot worse hadn't the GM picked up on the tradition of nothing but mediocre rolls, and they all miss us. Our salve next, and we manage to stun one Mexican, and make the other retreat, giving us enough time to make the rest of our way up the cliff, knock out one, be missed yet another two times, and knock out the remaining two.

We make a swift move to a good ambush spot way too far from the main path (yet another bad roll from our pathfinder), from where we open fire at three more Mexicans coming out to investigate. Two go down from our initial salve before they even have time to shoot back, while the third one only is grazed and dives for cover. My character, who doesn't want to let him escape (the OOC reason was that I wanted to raise my Gunfights count, and for that you need to be shot at as well), jumps out from cover and makes a mad dash at him, slows down, gets fired at but it misses, fires back but misses, gets fired at again, but it misses, and then another character gets to us and take the Mexican out with his Colt Army.

Finally, we decide to do the Pixie Trick (as we call it) and have our pathfinder request more reinforcements in Spanish. So far, we've managed to take out 7 out of 40-50 (the number our source of information estames there to be), so we'll have to see what happens next. At least I got to raise my skill with the carbine quite some, so my aim is definitely getting deadlier...

IOON:
    The deciduous trees are starting to go yellow, and especially the birches. I think it's too early, but at the same time, it's no doubt that summer is coming to an end. Well, at least we'll have a little firework of colours again to look forward to before it all goes bleak and rain-sunken.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Disorientation parties are fun, I have classes scheduled, and I am tired. I just want to sleep.

(Yay College.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

Heheheh Hey, castles are nice. I like the look of stone buildings.
    Whaddya think of this one?

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Cuthalion; 2013-08-30 at 12:07 PM.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

Sometimes you act as if you'd forgotten.

ION: Next, on Amidus' inability to properly manage time, we'll show him procrastinating when he ought to be reading.
    Well, you know me, the old woman who never remembers anything...

This is not a good thing, wee thing! You need to go to bed early, what happened to that midnight to 8am sleeping schedule, hm?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    I'm pretty sure 7 year old sheep with his LOTR movie chess set could beat modern me, and I'm on my school's damn team!
    Bwah, I envy people who know how to play chess. I never understood it, just spent my time admiring different chess boards and all. And failing horribly when I dared to attempt to have a go with the game.

Anyway... The reasons why one would hang all that fabric is to help dampen the noise. One does learn a little bit about acoustics from observing the carpeted walls of the practice rooms in the music block in high school. Trust me, it's all you can really do save for changing the clock over to a digital one, and I rather doubt the city council will let you.

How can you complain about the heat, yet spend time in a sauna? It really confuses my poor Australian brain...

Hmm... That is indeed a worry... I think that one can get bags to put things in that one can hang... I'm not really sure though...
    Do you have carpet? Because they go after carpet as well. If that is the case, all I can suggest is a regime of heavy vacuuming combined with washing the carpet with pesticides. And I cannot reiterate more: Clothes moths hate light, especially Sunlight. If you hang things in the Sun for a few hours, then the larvae will fall off in search of somewhere darker.

Our lounge has a simple curtain rail, but then the bedrooms have this... Well, I honestly can't describe it, I've never seen an attachment system so odd in my life! Drives me nuts, let me tell you! Also, yeah, get what you mean with the fabric and stuff, muffling out the noise, but... There's so much fabric can do. I have my sincerest doubts over them fixing the issue well enough for my light sleeping self. Then again, maybe it's not the noise that gets me, but the light - I've slept through all sorts of clonks and plonks, but can never do it when it's too bright.

Well, it's very different to spend all day, most of the time clothed in a +25°C environment, compared to a 80-110°C (depends what you like) for an hour or two per week (personal preference, doesn't happen anymore because Scotland sucks, a lot of people probably only spend half an hour in there), stark naked. We have breaks, you have to remember to drink so you don't faint... So on. Sauna's a very sacred and holy thing for us Finns, it's where we wash ourselves, relax, and in the good old days you were born there, and your life would also come to an end there, it's where I've had probably 80% of my life's most important conversations. Probably didn't really answer your question, but honestly, I don't think anyone, not even the best of Finns could. It's our cultural heritage, it's so deep within our roots, so... Yeah.

Call me silly, because I didn't even think about washing the carpet! Sometimes it seems like those rascals emerge from beneath my bed, and well, that's where they probably have their headquarters. Carpet, dark pretty much 24/7... Gah!

A tad grim, there!
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it looks insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I think it looks insane.
    Also fake. I mean, really, look at that boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

17. - Top - End - #377

Because in times past, people kept dying young because of disease of one sort or another, often Consumption. After all, back then, everything we've worked so hard to develop cures for was often fatal.
    Thus, when you survived another year, it meant your parents didn't have to bury you before you had even reached adulthood.

Of course, this is probably the most depressing take on why we celebrate birthdays... But it makes sense.
    I don't convert temperatures in my head. I figure out each one. What is a good feeling for 10 C? That is the hard step. 20 is an office and 30 is hot but enjoyable and 40 is the local highest summer temperature.

Even if you can't ride the bike you can push it and put the heavy stuff on the rack. It is not an easy cart but it works. People in cars do honk at you if you walk home with a piece of furniture balanced on the bar. Or a roll of carpet fabric. Or a teakettle strapped to the bike rack and hot flask hanging from the handlebar. Or a stack of soda cans up to your neck on the rack. Or when you have to go through a yellow/red at the bottom of a hill because there is no way you can stop in time and stay on the bike.

Egg cartons stuck on the wall do not work.

People also survived without bathing. I like bathing in a heated room. But I do keep the temperature at 62 because I like the reminder that we have a short winter. If I had a cold winter I would heat it more and fight off the colds. Part of what killed so many kids was that they lived in cold houses and had to have high fevers to kill their germs. Fevers do the damage to bodies.

Also it's a way to teach kids about time. Also it's just nice to give a kid a special day and it is easy for a busy parent to remember the birthday.

Is your balance significantly worse than the average so that biking will be nigh impossible for you, or do you just don't want to go through the process of learning how to bike with the balance you have? :smallcurious:

Well, I think that under some definition, a fire pit at the middle of a cave could count as central heating as well...

IOON:
    The deciduous trees are starting to go yellow, and especially the birches. I think it's too early, but at the same time, it's no doubt that summer is coming to an end. Well, at least we'll have a little firework of colours again to look forward to before it all goes bleak and rain-sunken.
    Training wheels are not popular now anyway. Now the theory is to get a bike where the feet touch the ground and kick to go and let the kid or the grownup pick up their feet once they're going fast enough. That is sort of what you do when starting to pedal a real bike too. So it looks like it works and it is less shameful than training wheels.

Even Eskimos had lamps of fire in their houses. Proper ones. Poor ones did not and they had to try and sleep through winter all in a pile.

It is too early for the leaves to fall. But the tree in my front yard. It is full of mildew and dropping brown leaves. The whole street is full of mildewed trees. There's no point in spraying it. But it is fighting back now that I knocked down and cut out all the dead branches I could reach.

Our lounge has a simple curtain rail, but then the bedrooms have this... Well, I honestly can't describe it, I've never seen an attachment system so odd in my life! Drives me nuts, let me tell you! Also, yeah, get what you mean with the fabric and stuff, muffling out the noise, but... There's so much fabric can do. I have my sincerest doubts over them fixing the issue well enough for my light sleeping self. Then again, maybe it's not the noise that gets me, but the light - I've slept through all sorts of clonks and plonks, but can never do it when it's too bright.
    Get a sleeping mask. Or sleep with the sheet wrapped around all of you. I do.

I remember reading about third world people sleeping like the sheeted dead and understanding it because I sleep that way all wrapped up and everyone else in class not getting it.
    Last edited by Taet; 2013-08-30 at 12:47 PM.
    I have found a RL gaming group but I'm willing to meet other GitP people nearby.
    Please send a PM or an email! _______ Tea served in a student cafe in Seattle

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    -snip-
    Heh, I've seen that picture before. Interesting, although not as nice as the stone buildings around here.

Well, you know me, the old woman who never remembers anything...

This is not a good thing, wee thing! You need to go to bed early, what happened to that midnight to 8am sleeping schedule, hm?!

Bwah, I envy people who know how to play chess. I never understood it, just spent my time admiring different chess boards and all. And failing horribly when I dared to attempt to have a go with the game.
    Heheheh

Hey, I'm sticking to half of that sleeping schedule! Granted, it's the 8am half...
    Bah, six hours of sleep is fine.

Oh, we shall have to teach you, then! Chess is fun.
    A few odds and ends.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Disorientation parties are fun, I have classes scheduled, and I am tired. I just want to sleep.

(Yay College.)
    Yay college!
    Indeed!

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

*nods* Heh, me, wise. Believe what you wish, but know that I disagree on that point.
    People who are wise can sometimes say very wise things.

Heh, yeah, thankfully I have nothing against heights apart from a healthy respect. I will tread carefully next to steep cliffs, but I don't mind it if I'm securely fastened.
    I guess that is cool. Honestly they terrify me. I can't wait until I try flying someday though. Hopefully I can ignore the fear long enough for it to work out.

Well, different people are different, but yeah, the thought processes behind such actions mystify me as well...
    Maybe I can ask him later. We could make it like a case study.

Not really. I like drawing, but as a pastime, I doesn't interest me enough to justify taking time from something else to spend on it...
    I suppose this makes some sense. I like to draw but I get that whole thing where I don't know what to draw...then bleh.

ION:
    We had our second session of Boot Hill yesterday, and still no casualties. We were tasked with making our way up a plateau and getting inside the ruins of a monastery to save the daughter of the hacienda owner who'd been kidnapped by bandidos. Any sane group would do this by playing desperados and getting recruited or otherwise invited up to the monastery and then work their way from there, but we're anything but a sane group, so we decided to climb up a collapsed pass on the other side and attack from there.

Cue a long series of hilariously bad rolls from the guy with the most skill, and we're spotted by 4 Mexicans at the top, deciding to kill us all (there were 5 of us, btw), and they're all behind chest-high cover. This would be a lot worse hadn't the GM picked up on the tradition of nothing but mediocre rolls, and they all miss us. Our salve next, and we manage to stun one Mexican, and make the other retreat, giving us enough time to make the rest of our way up the cliff, knock out one, be missed yet another two times, and knock out the remaining two.

We make a swift move to a good ambush spot way too far from the main path (yet another bad roll from our pathfinder), from where we open fire at three more Mexicans coming out to investigate. Two go down from our initial salve before they even have time to shoot back, while the third one only is grazed and dives for cover. My character, who doesn't want to let him escape (the OOC reason was that I wanted to raise my Gunfights count, and for that you need to be shot at as well), jumps out from cover and makes a mad dash at him, slows down, gets fired at but it misses, fires back but misses, gets fired at again, but it misses, and then another character gets to us and take the Mexican out with his Colt Army.

Finally, we decide to do the Pixie Trick (as we call it) and have our pathfinder request more reinforcements in Spanish. So far, we've managed to take out 7 out of 40-50 (the number our source of information estames there to be), so we'll have to see what happens next. At least I got to raise my skill with the carbine quite some, so my aim is definitely getting deadlier...

IOON:
    Heh this sounds like a fascinating game. Glad the bad luck worked on both ends.

Trust me, I wish we could have enough rain over here to look sunken. This heat will probably keep up until November.

Does this warning only apply to Ami?

This is no good! You must absolutely be taught!
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taet View Post
    Get a sleeping mask. Or sleep with the sheet wrapped around all of you. I do.
    Tried those one time, and all I can say is they're good when I only need like a couple of hours of sleep like on a plane or something, but for a full night's sleep? Uncomfortable.

My blanket isn't big enough for that and I don't feel like using my sleeping bag at the moment, although I used to sleep with it quite often back in Finland. Bah, I need to get a double sized quilt, but that'd mean getting rid of all of my cute sheets... *mutter*

Hey, I'm sticking to half of that sleeping schedule! Granted, it's the 8am half...
    Bah, six hours of sleep is fine.
    That doesn't make me any less concerned, you know. That's just making things worse!

Does this warning only apply to Ami?
    Gah! Have you been naughty too?!

This is no good! You must absolutely be taught!
    Noooooooooooo! Shooosh, the both of you! I don't need to know how to play the game, not at this age at least! Last time someone attempted to teach chess to me they got the board in their face.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Noooooooooooo! Shooosh, the both of you! I don't need to know how to play the game, not at this age at least! Last time someone attempted to teach chess to me they got the board in their face.
    Ouch! What happened?

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

Ouch! What happened?
    I got frustrated. I'm not nice when I'm frustrated.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

I got frustrated. I'm not nice when I'm frustrated.
    Ah. It's fairly easy, once you know how to play, though.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

Ah. It's fairly easy, once you know how to play, though.
    Yeah, that's what they all say... I'll just keep on admiring.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

26. - Top - End - #386

I know how you feel. I know HOW to play chess, I'm just poor at it

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Very well!
    Indeed. It leads to funny events in which I would be one move away from winning if I only knew this chess technique. I don't, of course, and make an incorrect move, and then my king gets eaten, and...

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

Glory to us, whom the game of chess does not favour! How are you today, lovely Zoozienooz?
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

How are you today, lovely Zoozienooz?
    You always have the best nicknames.

30. - Top - End - #390

Glory to us, whom the game of chess does not favour! How are you today, lovely Zoozienooz?
    I'm doing good, aside from being sick. Might get a job at the book store