Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Core Tomb of Horrors IC.

Your party stands before a lonely, sandy hill. Tales tell that this is the home of the dreaded Tomb of Horrors, home of Acerak the Lich. However, no entrance into the legendary tomb is apparent. Perhaps you should look around?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Core Tomb of Horrors IC.

*WHEW*

Milo whistles as he looks around the hill. The Tome of Horrors lay just below his feet, if only he could find the entrance. He had heard of so many brave souls who had entered, but he couldn't remember one he had heard of who had left. As such, all variety of rumors had emerged, and Milo secretly wished that each one of them were true: living walls, trapped traps, and floors that are entirely illusory. It sounded like an interesting challenge.

As he scans the area for any signs of an entrance, he looks around to the others gathered with him. "Hey all," he says with a tussle of his auburn hair. "I'm Milo, and the Holy Rollers sent me to make sure we try not to die. I can only heal some things, but if you're in arm's reach I might be able to keep you from getting hurt to begin with. Let's all stay together and stay close, savvy? Introductions and marching order before we head in? I'm willing to go first..." The others aren't sure if it's nervous energy or just enthusiasm, but the tiny halfling seems ready to go.

Spot - (1d20+23)[30] looking for an entrance
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-08-21 at 09:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

helping with spotting - (1d20)[18]

"The name's Viet" Viet said in a gruff voice. "My pet griffon here is named Volten. Both of us can follow right behind you. We've been through a lot together so far and I expect us to get through this together with this group. Now, let's cook this goose."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Ysauraithus aproaches the hill, slowly walking as he drags his lame leg besides him...but his ¨magestic entrance¨ its shortly obscured by the giant skelleton walking a few steps behind.
    Ysa... & Enim... the small reptiloid says. and with the snap of his scaly fingers.. he casts DETECT MAGIC. looking for auras pointing towards an entrance

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Rhaeg... its the name. I can lend you a hand in combat... but i´m not front liner. i´ll be right behnd you though..
    So lets see if we can find the entrance to this place..

@DM... can we get a more elaborate description of where we are standin, please.
    Last edited by DarkPrelud; 2013-08-21 at 11:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Over on the left of the low, flat-topped hill you see what could be a partially buried entrance. However, you detect 2 more potential entry locations- one towards the middle, and another partway up the hill. Both are mostly covered in dirt and sand.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"Great, what a way to start. So, who's been around the fire a lot?" Viet states as he takes notice of the three entrances.

(By fire he does mean stealing and such)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Grhm.... Ysa grunts as the DETECT MAGIC, shows up nothing but since its already casted he´ll try to keep it active for as long as he can (10min).

Enim... take the middle one Ysa comands his minion to help remove the dirt and sand.

And he cast and Extended MAGE ARMOR (metamagic, rod). while waiting for his results.

open the 3 pathways before stepping into one of them.. anyone would like to participate?

9. - Top - End - #9

BardGuy

well that makes sense... you hear the scaly guy, lets remove the dirt Rhaeg can´t help to stare a little bit.. as the animated bones claws dirt out of the way.

and proceeds to the pile of dirt on the right. i think.. ill need a little bit of hel here... you know..

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

"Volten, go help Rhaeg with diggin." Viet said to his griffon.

Volten nodded and went over and helped dig.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"My name is Aktoz." He says in a soft voice, while moving to start uncovering the left pile, "And while I won't do much with a weapon, I am fairly hard to hurt. My eyes are not the best, so it would be best for me to be one or two places from the front."
    Last edited by alanek2002; 2013-08-22 at 09:53 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

After 2 hours of work, you have cleared each of the entrances.
    All the entrances lead up to doors after a hallway- 80 feet on the left, 30 on the right, 50 feet in the middle. Cobwebs hang from the ceiling of the rightmost hall, but they are otherwise much alike.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"Anybody have a three sided coin?" Aktoz says.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ruslan stares at the undead abomination, now finished with it's unholy work. Looking around the three entrances, he considers.

"Seeing as how the treasure has not been found yet, I'd vote for the undisturbed hallway with the cobwebs. No use in retracing the steps of others who've failed."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: I have a 7-sided die if that will help XD)

"Sorry, spnt the last one i had at the last tavern me and Volten visited." Viet said while joking.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

hmmm... then there´s a reason they didnt use that path..i vote forthe middle one.. since enim (skelleton) removed the dirt. but in anycase.. i´m not the best suited for entering first...

Clears his throath.. Ysa reaches for his back of holding and takes out 3 human corpses, out of his pocket he takes 3 black gems and uts them in each of the skelleton mouths and he casts... ANIMATE DEAD.

as the three new formed skelletons rise... he sends two of them in to the middle hallway and keeps another one by his side.

17. - Top - End - #17

BardGuy

Hey ruslan, want to check this one? (points at the right path, the one of the cobwebs)... i could tie a rope to your torso and pull you out if needed..

18. - Top - End - #18

The air of the tomb remains deathly still as the skeletons march into the mouth of the center passage.
    Spoiler
    Show

How far down the hall do the skeletons proceed?
    Last edited by Drynwyn; 2013-08-22 at 10:54 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Milo Brushscrubber

"Oi! You lot are more rambunctious than kids at the confectioner's!" He shakes his head in disgust. "While sending skellies down the hall might mean it's their bones broken instead of yours, setting off every damned trap in the place has two consequences. First of all, it could alert whomever or whatever lurks within that they've got company. Second, and more importantly--you could break the treasure. Please, think of the loot, people!"

Milo looks to the three doorways, trying to remember his father's old adage. Was it If of a map you're bereft, best stick to the left? or You'll live 'til the night if you stay to the right? It matters little, as before he can remember the old adventurer's saying there are skeletons traipsing down the middle hallway.

20. - Top - End - #20

As the skeletons approach the door at the end of the middle hall, the wall suddenly rumbles and a thick slab of stone slams into place in the middle of the corridor, blocking that hall. A mere moment later, you hear a faint grinding noise from the other side.
    Last edited by Drynwyn; 2013-08-22 at 02:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ruslan watches in disgust as the two corpses are drug from out the bag.. and brought back to unnatural life. A very short sounding, unnatural life, as they become trapped and possible ground to bonemeal on the other side.

"Well, at least we're rid of those things.." Ruslan arches his brow. "I guess the reason that people don't usually take the path untraveled by, is that those people are all running to their grave to become unnatural horrors. Since we're aiming to be the first to actually return from this place..."

Ruslan inspects the cobwebbed corridor, from the relative safety of still being outside of it, looking in. "These are no spider's webbings. It's simply an unused path. Let me look in, here..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Undead and Detect Magic down the 30' cob-webbed corridor on the right. I should be able to range all the way to the door, if I'm not mistaken.

22. - Top - End - #22

Milo Brushscrubber

"You see this?" Milo asks and gestures toward the center hallway as the skeletons are presumably ground into a fine ivory-colored powder. "This is why we can't have nice things. I firmly believe that we'll make it through this alive, but we must also be shrewd."

Milo stands back as Ruslan scans the hallway on the right, nodding in approval. "I like your style," he says. "Information before action. Not bad. Any pings?"

Assuming that the result comes back clear of undead (besides ones we brought) or magic...

"Let me see if there's anything the magic meter may have missed with more mundane means," he says with a smirk. Careful not to touch anything before scanning it for danger, Milo makes his way carefully into the rightmost entrance, one painstaking step at a time.

Taking 20 on Search checks.

23. - Top - End - #23

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect spells come up clear.

Although you can easily scan the walls and floors, the thick cobwebs covering the ceiling make it nigh-impossible to examine in any sort of detail without touching.
    Last edited by Drynwyn; 2013-08-22 at 04:34 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

"Both of your approaches have merit," Aktoz says while brushing dust off his Spiffy hat, "Why not combine them? when you look for traps, send a skeleton, or anything else that can trip them before moving on. No insult is intended, but there is a reason nobody has completed this yet."

Spoiler
    Show
    Hrm. mention the cobwebs to the rest of us. I have an idea that just might work.
    Last edited by alanek2002; 2013-08-22 at 05:03 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Aktoz pulls out his wand of Unseen servant, A candle, and his flint and steel. Aktoz says"I can use a unseen servant to attempt to burn the webs, while we watch from a safer distance." He pauses, flint and steel in hand, and adds:"Unless Milo thinks It would trigger something, of course"

26. - Top - End - #26

BardGuy

thanks for your... ahm... assitance... Ysa is it?...
    Come on guys.. every body has his own way to deal with things... lets focus on getting on with this. Now we are down to 2 options...lets burn this webs.. shall we?

He lights up a torch.. and waits for reactions...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

One Down... one more and we'll be in... he looks at milo... he stares for a minute.. with predatory eyes... then he turns his head and says..the loot... pfft... i couldn't care less for gold & jewls... you can have all of them if you want.. i dont care.
    Spoiler
    Show
    just role playing... dont take it personal ;)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Rhaeg, Please allow me to light it with your torch, as I can do it from afar. In case it explodes. Wouldn't be too unlikely with the rumors I've heard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If he says yes, I cast Mage Hand, and use it to light the web with his lit torch, once everybody has moved Away. range of mage hand is 45 feet, so I will be 40 ft from the square, and everybody else will likely be farther.
    If no.... I move back if he tries to light it himself.

29. - Top - End - #29

BardGuy

In that case Please do!... Rhaeg hands over the torchs... and.. slowly steps aside waiting for something exciting to happen.

30. - Top - End - #30

The webs burn away quite quickly, revealing a cracked, unstable ceiling that looks ready to collapse at any second.