New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Has anyone tried to "fix" epic spellcasting?

I was wondering if anyone has made a home-brew where they fixed the epic spell casting system. I think its pretty unanimous that its horrible and completely broken or alteast ive seen lots of people complain as much, im familiar with how it works but have never played with it in a game. Also do you think the system would be ok with just adjusting the spellcraft DC more appropriately or is there more that needs fixed about it? Also any tips about handling it would be appreciated. Im making my own homebrew and thats what im working on right now. Thank you guys again :)
    I'm currently in the process of doing my own 3.5 rewrite i thought i should mention this and it may be relevant to most posts I make. As well i will always ask and answer questions from the DM's point of view.

I have access to all books (but no dragon magazines other than a few i have physical copies of) and i have a physical copy of of almost every book minus most of the campaign books.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Has anyone tried to "fix" epic spellcasting?

Quote Originally Posted by Devronq View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has made a home-brew where they fixed the epic spell casting system. I think its pretty unanimous that its horrible and completely broken or alteast ive seen lots of people complain as much, im familiar with how it works but have never played with it in a game. Also do you think the system would be ok with just adjusting the spellcraft DC more appropriately or is there more that needs fixed about it? Also any tips about handling it would be appreciated. Im making my own homebrew and thats what im working on right now. Thank you guys again :)
    I've seen a few, and even have one of my own WIP. Depending on what you consider the underlying problem to be — the totally freeform nature of effects coupled with mechanical entitlement in the form of Spellcraft DC guidelines, the unnecessary conflation of complexity and power, or some other flaw — one of those might work well, at least as the base. I think it's fairly clear that merely adding some tweaks to the Spellcraft calculations is not enough, though.
    Last edited by TuggyNE; 2013-08-26 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Forgot link derp!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity