Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Studious Gnomes (3.5 Race; PEACH)

    Studious Gnomes
    They say that gnomes are one of the most adaptive of the common races, that there's a gnome for every occasion. While this may in fact be an exaggeration, there is certainly a plethora of gnomish variants. The Studious Gnomes are another piece of evidence that gnomish adaptions can take place in what seems like the blink of an eye. These are the result of a large clan of gnomes fleeing from marauding kobolds that were offered refuge in an illusionist's tower in exchange for tending his library during their stay. They were going to leave, but frankly life was excellent in the tower. So what were ordinary gnomes became stuffy and boring (for gnomes, which is still generally more fun and perky than most other races) but gained a solid amount of brainpower and common sense. They lost some of their innate spell power, in exchange for very practical abilities related to their new career. Now that the clan left the tower, they can be found in libraries and various adventuring parties around the worlds.

    Personality: A studious gnome is more uptight and intellectual than the standard gnome, but generally not quite to the degree of the whisper gnome. This averages out to the standard studious gnome being about as jovial as a human of similar age. However during their stay in the wizard's tower, they developed an even greater love of illusions, which is quite impressive considering they were gnomes to begin with. Generally a friendly and neutral race, the studious gnome is good company for any librarian, having both a knack for filing and a good sense of humor. Their humor is a bit more high brow than the standard pranking, but not especially less abundant. There is very little a studious gnome loves less than a good book though, no matter the genre. The only possible exception is taking chances to use their powerful illusions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Think XKCD style.


    Physical Description: A studious gnome is similar is appearance to the standard gnome, although the typical lack of sun (they do prefer to stay indoors tending their systems or learning after all) they tend to be a fair deal more pale. Their clothing is often no nonsense, with frequent large pockets to store books in. They are however, a bit slower to respond than most of their kind, which combined with their greater than average intelligence makes it seem like they are weighing their every move (although when it comes down to it, it's mainly that they aren't as dexterous as they used to be).

    Relations: As a rule of thumb, if they get along with normal gnomes, they get along with studious gnomes. There are a few notable differences in relationships however. For starters, most dwarves like them better this way, they have a much reasonable head on their shoulders and aren't as flighty as normal. They do not however get along as well with the elves, due to the fact that they get to magical and smart without having to be smelly hippies living in woody communes. They get along better with whisper gnomes than rock gnomes due, since studious gnomes have an (at least slightly) increased level of seriousness. And of course, they get along with normal gnomes, but who doesn't?

    Alignment: Typically true neutral, studious gnomes are balanced between chaotic gnomish fancy and cold lawful logic. In addition, it's not especially practical to be strongly driven to good or evil when you only really have to worry about books.

    Languages: A studious gnome automatically speaks Common and Gnome. they may pick up any language as a bonus language, due to exposure to a large variety of cryptic texts in foreign languages.

    Studious Gnome Traits
    *-2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence. A studious gnome is more logical and in possession of more common sense than most of their race. However, their mostly sedentary lifestyle creates a deficit of reflexes.
    *Small: As a Small creature, a studious gnome gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
    *20 foot base speed.
    *Low-Light Vision: A studious gnome can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
    *Humanoid (Gnome)
    *+2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions.
    *Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by studious gnomes. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects.
    *+1 Caster Level on all illusion spells cast by studious gnomes. The training they gained from their patron illusionist granted them even greater proficiency.
    *+2 bonus on Profession (Bookkeeper) and Decipher Script checks. The studious gnome is nothing if not an expert librarian.
    *Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—Prestidigitation, Silent Image, Ghostly Sound, Amanuensis. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + gnome’s Int modifier + spell level. Alternatively, if the studious gnome takes a level in any spellcasting class with a spellbook (or prayerbook) they may instead gain Spell Mastery for those spells.
    *Favored Class: Archivist.

    Spoiler
    Show
    So I made another race. I like them to be attacked by kobolds I guess. Give me any feedback you've got.
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2013-08-27 at 10:30 PM.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Missouri, USA.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Studious Gnomes (3.5 Race; PEACH)

    The only thing I can really suggest is adding languages to their list, other than that it all looks good - I'm not a `brewer though, so take that with a grain of salt.

    Edit: I just found the languages, nevermind.
    Last edited by gurgleflep; 2013-08-27 at 09:13 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Studious Gnomes (3.5 Race; PEACH)

    Looks decent, though you do have a lot of ability score modifications. I would suggest trimming those down just for the look of it. Modifying literally every ability score is not something you want to do, usually.

    You've dumped a largely useless spell-like ability, an almost unused weapon proficiency, a useful skill bonus, a less useful skill bonus, and a few relatively minor, conditional combat buffs for a potentially useful spell like ability and a near useless skill bonus.

    From your fluff, I would give them a buff to Decipher Script and any one Knowledge (chosen at character creation).
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

    Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails


    Brew:

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Studious Gnomes (3.5 Race; PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    Looks decent, though you do have a lot of ability score modifications. I would suggest trimming those down just for the look of it. Modifying literally every ability score is not something you want to do, usually.

    You've dumped a largely useless spell-like ability, an almost unused weapon proficiency, a useful skill bonus, a less useful skill bonus, and a few relatively minor, conditional combat buffs for a potentially useful spell like ability and a near useless skill bonus.

    From your fluff, I would give them a buff to Decipher Script and any one Knowledge (chosen at character creation).
    The decipher script is certainly a useful addition, thanks for that. However the knowledge checks themselves aren't 100% important for the sorting of knowledge, so I think I'll leave that as is. Plus I try to avoid having more than +4 racial skill bonuses or any odd ones, and these seem more fitting than a knowledge.
    While I would normally agree on the ability scores, I feel it very important that all of those scores stay where they are. While it's most certainly a bit ugly, the effect is really not that drastic. You only have to deal with it during character creation after all. Two more numbers to type into your point buy calculator.

    EDIT: This isn't to say I wouldn't be willing to do it, I'd just need slightly more reason than saying it's not something usually done.
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2013-08-27 at 09:45 PM.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Studious Gnomes (3.5 Race; PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    While I would normally agree on the ability scores, I feel it very important that all of those scores stay where they are. While it's most certainly a bit ugly, the effect is really not that drastic. You only have to deal with it during character creation after all. Two more numbers to type into your point buy calculator.

    EDIT: This isn't to say I wouldn't be willing to do it, I'd just need slightly more reason than saying it's not something usually done.
    I completely understand that. It just looked really weird to me, and I was suspicious of it at first. When I wrote that up, I actually couldn't come up with much of a justification (though the score array currently slants almost perfectly in favor of an int or wis based caster, I can't say I've never done anything like that). It is, after all, your brew.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2013-08-27 at 10:19 PM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

    Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails


    Brew:

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Studious Gnomes (3.5 Race; PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    I completely understand that. It just looked really weird to me, and I was suspicious of it at first. When I wrote that up, I actually couldn't come up with much of a justification (though the score array currently slants almost perfectly in favor of an int or wis based caster, I can't say I've never done anything like that). It is, after all, your brew.
    I'll be the first to admit it's intended as a caster race, either gnome illusionist or generic archivist. The main purpose of the +2 wis, -2 dex (there's the wild gnome from races of Ansalon and the Arcane Gnomes from Dragon something or another) is that it lets you not have to sell your soul to Shar when you take Shadow Weave Magic on a killer gnome style build. Almost entirely created to avoid that little piece of fluff that bothers me.

    EDIT: You know what though, I'm totally okay with selling my soul to Shar now that I've had a good long think about it. I'm gonna drop the wisdom and charisma.
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2013-08-27 at 10:28 PM.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •