New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

wink Pathfinder or Pure Homebrew System?

Which do you playgrounders prefer: A system like Pathfinder, which is rules-intricate, or something you could create yourself? I am asking because I don't like spending an hour and a half creating a 1st-level character for Pathfinder. I am not saying Pathfinder is a terrible system that shouldn't be played ever, I am just saying that I would prefer something that is a little easier on the brain cells, you know? And sometimes, that is what we need. A system that is simple. It may not be as in-depth as Pathfinder is, but it is more chill and casual. So, what do you say, playgrounders? On a normal day, which would you rather sit down and play, a complicated game like Pathfinder, or something quick and easy, but that could still last longer than a single session?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder or Pure Homebrew System?

Why not a system less intricate, but that you didn't create yourself?

There's a ton of games out there that aren't Pathfinder, and they have the advantage over pure homebrew that they've almost certainly had more playtesting and hammering on than anything you'd come up with in a reasonable time period.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

There are many, many, many other games available, even for free. I've been watching STaRS and was just looking at the thread few minutes ago, to give you an idea of how quickly you can find and read through such systems. There are many D&D clones and retroclones out there as well, if you prefer something with more D&D mechanics.

Conversely, if I was going to homebrew something, I'd more likely patch the problematic parts of Pathfinder rather than create an entirely new system. I mean, creating your own system can take years.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

could i choose neither, as i don't care the slightest for pathfinder and i regretfully lack the drive and organizational skills needed to homebrew up a system proper myself?

really, if my options are make my own system or play one i don't care for, i'd rather stay home and watch youtube. or play a new videogame. maybe go for a walk. or play with the cats. do laundry. go grocery shopping.

anything else really.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Pathfinder, because the existing complexity there means that the actually difficult stuff is out of my hands, and I can focus on the game.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Classy d20 is an excellent system if you want something D&D like and rule-light.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

While I have some issues with Pathfinder's balance and power growth curve, the one thing I absolutely love about it is the complexity. The game of character creation, searching for feats and features and items to make your character concept come to life just so, is honestly my favorite part of tabletop. Part of the reason I started DMing was so that I would have a valid excuse to make new characters every week.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateWench

If my options were between Pathfinder or Pure Homebrew System I would probably choose Pathfinder. I have never played it, but nor have I played this Pure Homebrew System, and the last time I tried something that someone proud himself with having "written in 2 weeks", it was pretty bad. Pathfinder on the other hand have some fans, so it's probably better than the vague Pure Homebrew System.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

If you still want D&D but without too much nuts and bolts there is the option of Basic, AD&D and retroclones out there. Basic Fantasy is a great example of something dead simple with a reasonable amount of support, completely free and still D&D-like.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

None of the above.

13th Age is the only game I've played recently that even resembles D&D/Pathfinder. And even then, there's differences. You should see my eclectic collection. None homebrew.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2013-08-30 at 09:26 AM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I do enjoy a good rules-heavy game like 3.5 or Pathfinder manytimes. But for one shots in particular, I do enjoy a good rules-light system. (The one I mostly use is homebrew, but that's a coincidence)
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

FUDGE and FATE. I haven't gotten around to fully reading FUDGE, but both systems are modular (FUDGE moreso, FATE has to stick to pulpy stuff mostly). They're also very different from D&D, FATE's aspect system in particular is completely alien, and most of FUDGE is incomplete because it depends on the setting and how you want the game to work.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Fate's not limited to 'pulpy'.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PunchinYourNuts View Post
    Which do you playgrounders prefer: A system like Pathfinder, which is rules-intricate, or something you could create yourself? I am asking because I don't like spending an hour and a half creating a 1st-level character for Pathfinder. I am not saying Pathfinder is a terrible system that shouldn't be played ever, I am just saying that I would prefer something that is a little easier on the brain cells, you know? And sometimes, that is what we need. A system that is simple. It may not be as in-depth as Pathfinder is, but it is more chill and casual. So, what do you say, playgrounders? On a normal day, which would you rather sit down and play, a complicated game like Pathfinder, or something quick and easy, but that could still last longer than a single session?
    What kind of game do you want to play? If you want D&D but don't want the infinite character choices of 3e/PF, then go back to AD&D 1e or Basic/Expert. In AD&D you roll your abilities, choose your class, buy your starting equipment, and you're done. If you're a spellcaster, you choose a few spells that you know.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

finder. its the system i want with all kinds of fixes and great add ons

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by magwaaf View Post
    finder. its the system i want with all kinds of fixes and great add ons
    ...Just to be clear, you're talking about Pathfinder, right? The one whose main dev is Sean K. Reynolds?
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting