Default Re: OOTS #915 - The Discussion Thread

Tarquin is a master strategist!
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Now that I know you come from such lowly stock, I need to make sure you're worthy of dating Elan."

...wow, I didn't know Tarquin could be such a classicist jerk.

Also, how can two high-ranking persons of the Empire of Blood's sworn enemies be walking around in the Empire of Blood's palace? I'd imagine that's what Tarquin would use that Death Squad from the parade for.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

...so now they are going to search for Ian instead of going for the next Gate as soon as possible. Ingenious!
    Or they aren't. But will be forced to somehow.
    Or Giant is going to break the pattern of books coming in pairs: "Gate"-"No Gate"
    ava by me
    Where the hell have you been?
    Yes, sadly.
    Proud founder of Crystal's fanclub!

Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome smilies here. Thank you, HeeJay and Fawkes!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    See, the reason I don't have to post much is people like Liliet exist to express nearly everything I want or need to.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #915 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    A huge compliment to you, Giant, for keeping up the quick update schedule keeping the pace of this tense and pivotal moment in your story so intense. Cool, but please also do take care of your self.

Kind regards

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    I'm a little puzzled by what Tarquin is up to here, though. If he actually wants the Order to get on with fighting Xykon "for him", why is he trying to sidetrack them with what amounts to a time consuming sidequest?

He's certainly been petty before (see Enor and Gangi in the arena), but he's never indulged in pettiness to the detriment of his own larger plans.

Something may be afoot. Maybe the other shoe will drop next strip.
    I dont know, Starshine seems good at laying low and no doubt he will be the first to hear about this.

This all being stuff Haley would know, and Tarquinn would know she knows.

This thing (i dont think) is about sending her on some sidequest, its about taking away a complete stranger's happy retirement for daring to think he is equal, with the added benefit of seeing if Haley has any skills. He talks about Elan Dating her, this strikes me as meaning this is part of his "over the next few years seeing if she is worthy." type of deal. Not a "deal with this now" deal.

Basically he's telling her, in his own way, that she and Elan will never have their happy ending so long as he is alive.
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarquin's super broke up about Nale, that's for sure. Just look at how much he looks and sounds like he doesn't care one bit. It can only mean that on the inside he is the saddest, most sorrowful and repentant man in the history of the world.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bedinsis View Post
    "Now that I know you come from such lowly stock, I need to make sure you're worthy of dating Elan."

Also, how can two high-ranking persons of the Empire of Blood's sworn enemies be walking around in the Empire of Blood's palace? I'd imagine that's what Tarquin would use that Death Squad from the parade for.
    Classist. A classicist would be something else entirely, though potentially also classist.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Lots of background info in this one. Nice.
    My country is the world, and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bedinsis View Post

He's an Ambassador, I think. They usually have good rights when it comes to speaking with Monarchs.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Add classism to the long, long list of things that make Tarquin a jackass. But he's still a sweetheart because he has verve. Right, apologists?

We've seen five of six members of TT in the present now. What's the sixth doing?
    Last edited by nohamotyo; 2013-08-29 at 01:56 AM.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

I think Tarquin may have miscalculated here. Haley cares about her Dad, sure, but he's a rogue. A good one at that. He's probably capable of hiding with no trouble. And Tarquin already pulled the "have the heroes lead us to the target" gambit with Girard's gate, so hopefully Haley won't fall for that twice.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

So they're invading reptilia next, but what about the "Leak's been plugged" comment, coming from one of the Empire of Tears advisers? Does that mean they've staged a coup/assassination there as well??

Seems odd for 2 kingdoms to topple at once, I didn't think that was how it worked.

Err, I think I was completely misreading the whole situation. Leak might just have been a reference to the spies the ambassador knew about.
    Last edited by blueblade; 2013-08-29 at 01:55 AM.
    Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Fantastic avatar created by artist extraordinaire, Kwarkpudding

13. - Top - End - #43

Weird how this feels more evil than killing Nale.
    The game doesn't start until you reach epic levels.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Tarquin, you magnificent chess master!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    So they're invading reptilia next, but what about the "Leak's been plugged" comment, coming from one of the Empire of Tears advisers? Does that mean they've staged a coup/assassination there as well??

Seems odd for 2 kingdoms to topple at once, I didn't think that was how it worked.
    He's referring to the ambassador's attempt to expose Tarquin's scheme (or what he knew about it, anyway).

Also, I don't think Tarquin's actually a classist (though it wouldn't really surprise me). I think "lowly stock" here just means "someone opposed to my rule".
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2013-08-29 at 01:58 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Classist. A classicist would be something else entirely, though potentially also classist.
    Darn it, I thought that was the word, yet my web browser told me otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    He's an Ambassador, I think. They usually have good rights when it comes to speaking with Monarchs.
    I wasn't talking about the Reptilian ambassador, I was talking about Miron and Catperson.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Oh Tarquin you and your silly shenanigans. Nice to see the rest of the team. Hopefully no more deaths will come about soon, Haley looks pretty mad.

R.I.P Zz'dtri. You'll always be the best the LG ever had in my opinion. 'Tis a shame you weren't defeated by V in an epic battle of wizards.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StClair View Post
    Oh, he is completely terrible. But he does it with such style.
    I believe "Magnificent Bastard" fits quite nicely!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

If Ian is as good at "laying low" as he is at "playing it cool", he might be in trouble already.

20. - Top - End - #50

So, Tarquin is not just incredibly petty, he's also distastefully petty. I mean, he punished those two for making a stupid badly-timed joke, but he punished Ian for fulfilling his narrative role as a rebel. Seriously.

On the other hand, he's actually just given OotS a major headache. As in: what should they do first, rush for the next Gate hoping Ian can take care of himself (basically abandoning him to his fate) or go find Ian hoping it's quick and the Gate's defences can delay Xykon for long enough (basically gambling on the fate of the world). Both are... not Good.

If Tarquin were truly dedicated to the side of Evil, I'd understand that this was a sneak and beautiful move. But he's only dedicated to himself, and this looks like it was both unnecessarily Evil and shooting-himself-in-the-foot stupid.

Minus two more points for Tarquin: NOT stylish, NOT a nigh-omniscient planner. And to think he was doing so good before killing Nale...
    ava by me
    Where the hell have you been?
    Yes, sadly.
    Proud founder of Crystal's fanclub!

Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome smilies here. Thank you, HeeJay and Fawkes!

Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    See, the reason I don't have to post much is people like Liliet exist to express nearly everything I want or need to.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    I'm a little puzzled by what Tarquin is up to here, though. If he actually wants the Order to get on with fighting Xykon "for him", why is he trying to sidetrack them with what amounts to a time consuming sidequest?

He's certainly been petty before (see Enor and Gangi in the arena), but he's never indulged in pettiness to the detriment of his own larger plans.

Something may be afoot. Maybe the other shoe will drop next strip.
    Yeah, I'm wondering about this too. Everything Tarquin's done has always seemed to have some kind of purpose in his grand plan, whether we knew what it was yet or not. So far this seems pretty random and standalone. But I guess we'll see, there's probably something we don't know yet.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Wow.

Tarquin got even more epic. I didn't think it was possible, but he did it. He might well be the best villain ever.

I saw a quote somewhere on these forums, I don't remember the exact words, but that writing an evil character is like creating a delicate and difficult piece of art, but that isn't truly complete until you've destroyed it.

The same is true for Tarquin of course. He has to go down before the end of the story. At the moment, he seems utterly untouchable, so taking him out is going to take some very skillful writing. I'm sure Rich can pull that off, and I'm very looking forward to seeing it.

23. - Top - End - #53

Well played, Tarquin. Well played.

Well, maybe. I'm not sure why he did it, exactly, unless he'd like to see the Order pick up Ian and then take him with them to the Northern Lands on their way to the last Gate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Halfling in the Playground

Nothing says "surprise" like a monocle flying off of your face!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nice detail: the bounty for bringing him in is exactly the same for "dead" as it is for "alive". If you're a bounty hunter, which is easier?
    Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    I can't think of anything more thrilling to read than the blow-by-blow specifics of a battle between an ancient black dragon and an apprentice baker.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I think Tarquin may have miscalculated here. Haley cares about her Dad, sure, but he's a rogue. A good one at that. He's probably capable of hiding with no trouble. And Tarquin already pulled the "have the heroes lead us to the target" gambit with Girard's gate, so hopefully Haley won't fall for that twice.
    By Ian's own admission, every single escape attempt he's made has ended in failure.
    Last edited by Cavenskull; 2013-08-29 at 02:15 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, could someone remind me when we saw lizard guy wanting to deliver a message before?

98% of the internet has a Myspace. If you're one of the 2% who isn't an emo whiner, show solidarity by putting this in your sig.

Instead, I have a blog and web site: http://morganwick.com Tweeter: http://twitter.com/morganwick Webcomic (not really OOTS-related): http://morganwick.freehostia.com/webcomic

Official self-appointed former commentator for The Sticks Awards.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Had to register for this strip, goddamm is Tarquin sexy! As soon as we determine what his group's name is I request one day a year where the comic's title is replaced by it!

On a complete side note ... could Elan's best plan of action involve having himself aged to 50 or so, replacing his father, and making an inspirational speech?
    Last edited by FearlessFelix; 2013-08-29 at 02:15 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Wick View Post
    So, could someone remind me when we saw lizard guy wanting to deliver a message before?
    Here and here.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Wick View Post
    Right here.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club