Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Lightbulb Welcome to the World Serpent Inn (OoC) (3.5)

Players, Character Sheets, and other noteworthy Info

NPC List and Descriptions

Spoiler
    Show
    Benjamin
    Barkeep, Sorcerer and Current Owner of the World Serpent Inn. He appears to be an old man of venerable age. He wears a strange anachronistic three-piece blue suit, rather formal in appearance. His hair is white and extremely short, almost shaved to nothing. While he appears human, several features stand out; his eyes are golden slits, like that of a dragon's and his ears are too pointy to be human. Although he denies both draconic or elven heritage, clearly there is some sort of mingling of bloodlines in his veins.

He is good humored in nature, playing a constant battle of tricks and pranks with Brond Karne. He enjoys jokes and goes out of his way to make everyone laugh. While he doesn't always let on much, he seems to know far more than anyone should, more often secret or intimate knowledge than anything else. Some of his guests go out of their way to keep him from overhearing them, although anyone who knows him will find its impossible. No secrets remain so when they are mentioned within these walls or are brought inside the Inn, although he is not forward about sharing them with other parties. If anything can be said, Benjamin is a trustworthy person who can keep a secret in needed to.

His magic is potent and absolute within the Inn, on several occasions he has been rumored to have hurled an entire room full of troublemakers from his Inn with a backhand towards the front door or else incinerate a potentially hostile threat with a line of white fire. He often gives divinations to those who request them, although he can be difficult to convince to perform such a reading unless a debt is called in.

Above all else, he seems desperate. He cannot accomplish what must be done to change the course of things. He has seen the signs of the end of all things, and with no one to turn to, he has made a final, desperate turn to this group of unlikely adventurers.

Odo 'Tones' Rilan
    A rather stubborn and grumpy dwarf, Tones isnt the most sociable of the lot. He spends much of his time playing one of the many different instruments that he owns upstairs, typically by one of the two fireplaces in the Inn. A true savant of music, this retired bard can play nearly any instrument in the cosmos with utter mastery. He doesn't talk much, typically he will give a short bow and continue playing when addressed. On the off chance he does talk, its almost a gravelly whisper.

Sayria Karne
    She is one of the maids working at the World Serpent Inn, living there full-time with her family. She appears to be a plump little middle-aged halfling with blonde/silver hair. She's on the stern side, with a rare smile. She's extremely hardworking and thorough with every task she attempts and knows almost everyone who frequents the Inn by name. She is married to Matthew Karne and has two children, Kelran and Brond. While she is a caring and generous person at heart, she could do without her youngest child Kelran causing constant chaos, which seems to be his primary occupation and her husband's drinking problem.

Matthew Karne
    Rather on the tall and skinny side, this older halfling is nearly twice the age of his wife, nearly bald on top, with a long flowing white handlebar mustache. Once a world famous traveling chef and potent wizard, now Matthew has taken a position as the head chef for the World Serpent Inn. His talent is extraordinary, but he lacks very many social skills and is rather quiet. He doesn't come out of the kitchen much, spending far too much time back there drinking or creating some experimental new cuisine. On three separate occasions, he's created something truly dangerous. Each time, it required all of his expertise and several able adventurers to go hunting around the Inn in search for one of his 'meals'. Its safe to say that some of these sell-swords found themselves on the menu from time to time.

Kelran Karne
    Kelran is the oldest son to Matthew and Sayria. He is a former member of Sigil's group known as the Sons of Mercy. While he doesnt spend much time in the Inn, when he is present, he often spends his time gambling with the visitors or sleeping off a long trip through the various planes he often visits. He has never quite quit being an adventurer at heart, often spending months away from his home.

Brond Karne
    The youngest of Matthew's and Sayria's children, Brond is a troublemaker and prankster. He spends much of his time causing chaos in the Inn, leading him to be not well liked by some of the more serious visitors. Despite being a constant nuisance to several of the frequent visitors and a minor embarrassment to parents, he is adored by both Benjamin and his parents. In his early tweens (closer to twenty than thirty), he doesn't take on much responsibilities, often using much of his time with clockwork devices or minor magical/alchemical experiments. He inherited much of his love for magic and experiments from his father, but little of the neatness and order that his mother upholds.

Atham Grothe
    A waiter at the World Serpent Inn, spending much of his time serving others. He is the loving father of Lerrilu, the youngest barmaid. He's a dedicated man, with fierce loyalties to both the Inn and Benjamin. He adores his only daughter, affectionately nicknamed Sapphire for her beautiful eyes. He worries greatly about her safety in such a place, where fiends can freely enter assuming they bring no violence with them.

Lerrilu 'Sapphire' Grothe
    The youngest barmaid working at the World Serpent Inn, having just reached 15 years old. she has just began working with her father and loves her job. She is a true gem among the crowd, quick learning and dedicated, with a beauty that is just beginning to blossom. Her long wavy hair is a striking shade of red and her almond-shaped eyes are of the deepest blue. Her skin pale and unblemished.

Mostly due to the numerous fiends that visit the Inn, her father originally did not wanting her to work at the Inn, but Benjamin had an idea of how to put Atham's mind at ease. Benjamin crafted for her a necklace that is heavily warded with protective spells, a birthday gift from Benjamin. With such a powerful amulet, Sapphire should be safe from any who would attempt to harm her. At a command, she could incinerate a small army of undead with the stored power within the amulet or put up a potent protection against evil spell that could last for weeks.

Jerga
    Jerga is a rakshasa, an outsider that appears as some sort of anthropomorphic tiger. Rakshasa are evil creatures and Jerga is no exception. He is known to be a real cheapskate to those who are just beginning to frequent his (large in worth, small in size) business, run out of his room in the World Serpent Inn. Inside are magical items galore, all crammed into a messy, dusty room. He has tens of thousands of scrolls and wands, in addition to numerous rods, staves, and wondrous items. He has a real eye for item's worth, despite overcharging/underpaying those who typically off load goods at his shop.

It would seem that only Benjamin has any sway over Jerga, as the outsider often clashes with the other staff or guests in the Inn. Benjamin has almost kicked him out on several situations, mainly for destruction of inn property. Among the many things he has destroyed, there are scorch marks on the floors and walls, broken chairs and tables, ruined rugs, and one doorway in the hallway that wont stop crying...

Quasit-In-A-Bottle (Pesta'Kuthu, typically referred to as Pest)
    Pest is a rather unique quasit, capable of casting potent spells as a wizard. Although he has no spellbook, he has taken a habit of inscribing onto his skin in the form of scars.

He's a sneaky trickster, never telling the truth unless absolutely forced and is always attempting to find out some new secret to convey to his master upon obtaining his freedom. He is a dangerous spy for the imprisoned demon lord, having found out far too much information to be freed. The relationship between the quasit and demon lord are not really known, although the quasit does bare a brand that marks him as the demon lord's property.

Since he got caught, he has attempted nearly every possible way to escape is imprisonment, to no avail. Benjamin seems to enjoy taunting or teasing the Quasit, mainly with the prospect of freedom, although he has no plans on doing so.

Additional Notes:
    Last edited by LordErebus12; 2013-09-11 at 04:40 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Belladonis Campaign Setting 3.5
    Casting as a Skill

Learn from your mistakes, 3.5...
    Fill in those dead levels...

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Welcome to the World Serpent Inn!
    Spoiler
    Show

- - - IC - - - OOC - - -

Extended Signature (90% complete)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Welcome to the World Serpent Inn (OoC) (3.5)

The 'good' doctor shall speak in the ever elegant Royal blue
    Blarg...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hehe, and so the game begins

I think Lelli will be speaking in "A faint minty shade of green".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Acamor will be speaking in the colours of rage and blood and fire.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ok, then Vryn will speak in coral.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    Acamor will be speaking in the colours of rage and blood and fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoh View Post
    Ok, then Vryn will speak in coral.
    i honestly cant tell them apart very well.
    Last edited by LordErebus12; 2013-09-06 at 05:18 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting as a Skill

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

- - - IC - - - OOC - - -

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I can join later but let's say that Fuliet will be busy doing something or had lost his way before he meet the party. He will be talking in Orange.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LordErebus12 View Post
    i honestly cant tell them apart very well.
    Hmm, I was trying to avoid clashing with the bluegreens that have been taken. How about gold then?

9. - Top - End - #9

Hmm, I was trying to avoid clashing with the bluegreens that have been taken. How about gold then?
    You could always go for the every manly PURPLE! (Actually I like the colour purple... though you could always go Green if you wanted too)
    Blarg...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not picky, but some of the oranges and reds appear rather close to each other on my monitor. While its not a big deal, since they are in separate posts, I thought i'd mention it. You all don't need to change colors or anything, unless you wish to.

I most likely will use Dark Red for enemies and aggressive speech, or else creatures from the lower planes.

Dark Steel Gray is for the Benjamin.

As for anyone else, it will depend on the person/creature in question.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting as a Skill

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

- - - IC - - - OOC - - -

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by LordErebus12 View Post
    I'm not picky, but some of the oranges and reds appear rather close to each other on my monitor. While its not a big deal, since they are in separate posts, I thought i'd mention it. You all don't need to change colors or anything, unless you wish to.

I most likely will use Dark Red for enemies and aggressive speech, or else creatures from the lower planes.

Dark Steel Gray is for the Benjamin.

As for anyone else, it will depend on the person/creature in question.
    No complaints here, about any of the colours.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

added a bit of background to the Rakshasa and Quasit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting as a Skill

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

- - - IC - - - OOC - - -

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Woohoo, loot (and we haven't even done anything yet)!

I'm thinking the amulet should go to a front-liner. My character can use wands without using up the charges (only up to 3/day, which I can probably use up just on the wand I already have, but still - now I'll be able to preserve charges on more valuable wands). I can use cat's grace, protection from evil and any of the offensive wands - what can others use? Not sure if we should bother with the unknown punching dagger (pretty, though), and my character is less interested in the remaining items. I'm thinking Humphry will be all over the tomes.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Woohoo, loot (and we haven't even done anything yet)!

I'm thinking the amulet should go to a front-liner. My character can use wands without using up the charges (only up to 3/day, which I can probably use up just on the wand I already have, but still - now I'll be able to preserve charges on more valuable wands). I can use cat's grace, protection from evil and any of the offensive wands - what can others use?
    Well, if he must bribe you all, he will.

Not sure if we should bother with the unknown punching dagger (pretty, though), and my character is less interested in the remaining items.
    I intended it to be a bit of a legacy item in the making, should someone wish to pursue it.

I'm thinking Humphrey will be all over the tomes.
    My whole point in adding them. I tried to come up with some useful items for each of you, don't know how well I did. We'll see if the worm gets eaten, so to speak.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting as a Skill

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

- - - IC - - - OOC - - -

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

So it's Xavier rather than Humphry, yes?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I think its Dr. Xavier Humphry Elwood Esq., but I could be wrong. lol

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting as a Skill

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

- - - IC - - - OOC - - -

17. - Top - End - #17

My character can use wands without using up the charges (only up to 3/day, which I can probably use up just on the wand I already have, but still - now I'll be able to preserve charges on more valuable wands). I can use cat's grace, protection from evil and any of the offensive wands - what can others use?
    I'm thinking that I'll take the wands you can't use for now and hand some of them over to Fuliet when he appears if he wants them. My UMD check bonus is +14 so I've got a 75% chance of not messing us horribly whenever I try to use them.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sorry, my bad.

What are the protective stats on the amulet?

19. - Top - End - #19

I will take the tomes (it is up the Doctor's alley) but if any of the wands are on the spell list of his it may be useful for him to carry it.
    Blarg...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morbis Meh View Post
    I will take the tomes (it is up the Doctor's alley) but if any of the wands are on the spell list of his it may be useful for him to carry it.
    You can use the healing ones, right? I've taken Cat's grace and three of the offensive ones, since it looks like I'm the only one who can use them without UMD. Leaving the weaker fireball wand for Lelli - shout if anyone wanted one of those I took, I really don't need this many.

21. - Top - End - #21

You can use the healing ones, right? I've taken Cat's grace and three of the offensive ones, since it looks like I'm the only one who can use them without UMD. Leaving the weaker fireball wand for Lelli - shout if anyone wanted one of those I took, I really don't need this many.
    Nope he cannot use the healing ones without a UMD check since he hasn't learned those spells... let us leave it to our UMD monkey (if one of the wands was a lesser vigor wand then yes he would take it)
    Blarg...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

@LordErebus:
    Hmm, are you sure these fireball and orb wands aren't overpowered? My character is based on the idea that it's worth spending an action on Enlarge Person, boosting melee damage from 2d6+6 to 3d6+7 (call it 4d6 and 5d6 respectiveley). Now he has wands that can do 10d6 (fire, area damage, no attack roll, reflex DC 13 halves) or 9d6 (fire, ranged touch attack, dazed if fail DC 14 fort save) or 7d6 (electricity, ranged touch attack, entangled if fail DC 14 fort save). That basically means he should never spend combat actions on Enlarge Person or melee attack (except for AOO).

Lelli's most powerful blast (unless I misunderstand) does 7d6 damage, but this is compensated by her being squishy.

23. - Top - End - #23

Lelli's most powerful blast (unless I misunderstand) does 7d6 damage, but this is compensated by her being squishy.
    It does indeed, though its worth noting that Vile damage (the type used in that blast) cannot be healed outside of a consecrated area using magic. Then again, its twice an encounter only.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Oh, and again requesting permission to tie wands to pieces of string attached to my clothing, so I can drop rather than sheathe them. I never got an answer to that.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Moonwolf727 View Post
    It does indeed, though its worth noting that Vile damage (the type used in that blast) cannot be healed outside of a consecrated area using magic. Then again, its twice an encounter only.
    Considering most encounters don't last more than 3 rounds means that you can blast away with that ability; however, blasting is one of the least broken roles you can do in dnd so it isn't a big deal anyways Now summoning packs of undead horrors to shread enemies and still have the ability to cast other spells... probably worse
    Blarg...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Ffoh

While yes, mathematically, it may make sense to lean on high damage wands in combat, is that what your character would do? Within the game I don't think our characters would have any concept of damage dice and hit points.

Lopping someone's head off with an enlarged glaive guillotine-style is just as lethal as any spell, and with more levels of fighter than sorcerer, he'd be more versed in the martial arts than the arcane, no?

Would he put stock in spells that he is not so intimately familiar with as a sorcerer?

Would he be so quick to deplete a resource which may or may not be replaced later on?

I like to get inside the mind of the character, and do whatever they would do, even if it ends up being sup-optimal with the ruleset. Of course, the answer to all those might be "damn-right he would", but that's totally up to you.

As for balance, it's not an MMO- If something is too powerful, events can change, mishaps can happen, etc. The world adapts.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Well, admittedly it still makes sense to spend an action on enlarge person, the main point of it being to defend the group by increasing reach, threatening more AOOs.

Beyond that, I guess Sgt Pepper is right - he won't hesitate to use them from a distance, but if something is in melee (or spring attack) range he's more likely to reach out and thwack it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Natural 100 on an arcane failure roll!

29. - Top - End - #29

Natural 100 on an arcane failure roll!
    Hon, there's an edit button for a reason on forum posts. Please just delete those last two and put it in the original one, for the sake of not wasting space

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Space being a limited resource?