Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: A home in Mind

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default A home in Mind

Emails had went out, telling you all that Jake had a new game to start up. He was uprooting your current characters from the somewhat just started game to do this one.

That was interesting, as Jake had a reputation for always finishing a previous campaign.

The man's home was a modest little ranch style house only a mile or so from the local game store, and Jake himself worked as a freelance writer and artist, so his games always had the best props and effects.

When you knock on the door to his home, the door opens quickly and Jake ushers you in. The parlor, where Jake runs his games normally, had had a modification. The large rounded table had apparently been painted or something, for there in the center and stretching out to each chair was a sihedron and it's points, each point painted a different color.

The DM screen was already set at Jake's normal spot and he waved his hand to you to get setup as another knock was at the door and he moved back through the house to answer.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A home in Mind

Justin

Like usual he was the first to arrive. He didn't like to others to wait on him as he maneuvered his chair to his spot. His seat was the one with the easiest access meaning that he got to face Jake and his GM screen.

Rolling up to his spot Justin pulls out his purple Seagrim Royal Crown bag of dice. Then pulls out another bag. "Jake, my mom thought you'd like this, they are some apples she got from the neighbor's tree."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Aaron arrived next with his small bag that held all of his books, dice, characters, and even the cans of beer that would usually last him only the one game session. He had decided a while ago to call it his own bag of holding.

He pulled up the chair and sat down in between Justin and Jake close to the door, that way in case something went wrong with the alcohol he was always right by the door. Luckily its never come to that so far.

"Hey Justin, how's things been?" Aaron asked as he gathered things from his bag and got set up.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Scott knocks twice and doesn't enter the room until he is spotted. He slips in without a word and stands in a corner, pulling out his semi-opaque blue and white spotted dice with black numbers. "Today feels like an Esper day, I'll bring Izzet next time." He says quietly in reference to his Magic the Gathering theme colored dice. He waits patiently for everyone else to sit before taking his own.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Jake takes the bag of apples with a nod. "Tell her I said thanks then."
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Though normally punctual, Dale arrived several minutes late. Swinging his bag off of his back, he greeted everyone with "Hey, sorry I'm late. I was trying to persuade Erica to join, but she said that she wouldn't be able to make the sessions anymore, something about 'prior commitments'.""

Taking the seat the other side of Justin, he began rifling through his bag, digging out his dice and character sheet. As he placed them on the table he noticed the new design.

"That looks cool," he gave Jake a questioning look, "Take you long to do?"

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

"You're not the last one." Jake notes to Dale. "Kyle is running late as well, it appears. And it didn't take too long. It was more difficult to get the material than the time it took to shape it."

Jake raps it with his fingers, the sound of metal echoes instead of wood.

Don't be stupid.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Kyle walks into the room, still in his lifeguard uniform, and with slightly damp hair.

"Hey! I am so sorry I'm late!" He sets down his satchel in the last remaining seat. "The pool was crazy today! Some woman came about thirty minuets before the pool closed. Her kid had on one of those sets of floaties and you know how the pool doesn't allow floaties into the water, right?" He pauses for a second to pull out his notes and dice. "So I walk up to her to let her know that her kid can not wear that into the water, and she freaks out on me! Spent like, twenty minuets with her yelling at me about that." Kyle sighs lightly and flops down into the chair. "Long story short, the kid ends up jumping into the deep end, I pulled him out, and then spent another hour trying to get the mother to sign the incident release forms." He shakes his head in astonishment, "People, ya know?."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    Jake takes the bag of apples with a nod. "Tell her I said thanks then."
    "Actually I think it's your mother who said to mine that you're eating too much junk food," he explained then pulled out a bag of pork-rinds. "No where do you think she got that idea..."

Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    "Hey Justin, how's things been?" Aaron asked as he gathered things from his bag and got set up.
    "Still no walking," he said in his dark sense of humor. "Things at training are going well, i guess," he added.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson6412 View Post
    "Long story short, the kid ends up jumping into the deep end, I pulled him out, and then spent another hour trying to get the mother to sign the incident release forms." He shakes his head in astonishment, "People, ya know?."
    "Yeah, can't stand 'em. But what ya goin' ta do? Can live with 'em can't commit mass murder and get away with it..."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

"Yeah, yeah." Jake shakes his head before sitting at the screen. "Pass me your sheets for a minute, I need to double check them.

Collecting the sheets, Jake looks them over before penning something in the corner of each of them, passing them back out. When you look at them, there is a unique to each sheet symbol that nobody recognizes. Though, for a moment you almost think you might.

"Now, to begin. The five of you have been gathered, having been offered to listen to a request of an old wizard, and powerful rewards if you take up the quest he says he will offer you. The wizard lives in a small tower outside of the town of Ithros in the Land of the Linnorm Kings. The trip to get there was not onerous, indeed you might almost have thought your path was cleared before you as the most you had to deal with was a few bandits."

Reaching the home of the wizard, you are led to a small study, wherein thousands of books line shelves that don't seem to be large enough to hold them all."

Jake pauses. "Yes Dale, Fudbiddle recognizes some sort of variant on a bag of holding for the shelves."

"An old man in robes of silver sits a table in the center of the study. He pours over a book in front of him, and you all notice in the table a sihedron is carved and colored." Jake grins and taps his own table.

"Kyle, Aaron. Both your characters would recognize the sihedron as the holy symbol of the goddess Lisalla from before Earthfall. Lissalla is the goddess of runes from the Thassillon empire."

Jake then continues. "The old man smiles at you all. 'Welcome, welcome' he says. 'Before I begin my story, you are all here of your own free wills? Any of you who wish to leave may before I begin my story. For once I begin, I will expect you to at least listen to my whole story.' "

Jake looks at you all expectantly, a small grin tugging at his own lips.
    Last edited by Lochar; 2013-09-08 at 01:41 PM.

Don't be stupid.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Dale takes his sheet back, raising an eyebrow at the scrawled symbol in the corner but not making any comment. Putting it to one side, he turned his attention to Jake's description of the setting. The description of the shelves in particular piqued his interest.

"That's pretty cool," he mused to himself, "not something I'd have thought of."

As Jake finished his description, Dale was the first to speak up. "Ok, Fudbiddle looks around the room while the wizard's talking, just kind of getting an idea of what this guy does. She's not paying complete attention to what he's saying, but does hear the last part about the story. She turns her attention back to the wizard and says 'I am here of my own accord and I, for one, am interested to hear your tale.'"

Pausing to consider anything else Fudbiddle might say, Dale asked "Does Fudbiddle recognise any of the books on the shelves?"

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

"Fudbiddle recognizes several treatises on planar creatures, both celestial and daemonic." Jake notes, apparently from memory as he has yet to refer to the small stack of sheets behind his DM screen, before rolling a d20. "In fact, you recognize the opening runes on a rolled parchment as it being a scroll of Gate. He's probably some sort of Conjurer."

Don't be stupid.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Aaron opened his first can of beer and drinks a little while Jake looks over his sheet. When jake hands Aaron back his sheet, he takes note of the symbol and keeps it fresh in his head for later reference.

"Volten takes note of the table and the sihedron. 'I am here of my own free will' Volten says to the old man. He then sits on the floor cross-legged and speaks to the old man again after hearing him talk about a story, 'I will listen to this story. It may help us to better understand the history of our world, where we are now, and what the future may hold.' " Aaron then stops for a moment and drinks a little bit more from his beer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bold blue will end up being Volten's speech.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

Kyle looks down at the symbol then back up at Jake, and suppresses a laugh. ~This is why I come to Jake's games. He just gets into the story~

"Py walks up near to Volten and drops to one knee, resting his arms on his other. 'I am willing' Py says in a very even voice. He nods to the wizard, 'You have my full attention'

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Justin

He sits back and listen to the story unwind, then smiles, "Faylen saunters into the room his head darts at as he looks around the room." The familiar sound of bouncing plastic leads Justin to say...

(1d20)[4]

"Four plus eight; that's twelve for perception." He collects his die and continues to describe his character's action. "He says to the old man, 'Wizard, I am here of my own accord,' and sits at the table if there is a chair. 'Tell us your tale'"
    Last edited by shugyosha; 2013-09-08 at 03:42 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Jake nods. "There are plenty of chairs at the table. And you don't notice anything special about the study, not being well versed in magic yourself."

Don't be stupid.

17. - Top - End - #17

Scott pulls up his legs onto the chair and sits in a hunched position and rolls a die without even checking his sheet. Scott watches the others closely before speaking in his quiet voice, rising whenever he speaks for his character."Xal will take his usual place near the back of the party with his usual overconfident sneer. He glances around the room, seeing if there are any unprotected valuables he might palm.Free will is an Illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure." He offered a sly smile and almost whispered: "Scott Adams."
    Last edited by flagisthief; 2013-09-09 at 08:47 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

"Remember those words." Jake smiles. " 'Ten thousand years ago, the calamity know as Earthfall destroyed much of the known world.' The old wizard says. 'But before that, a mighty empire ruled much of Avistan. The Thassilon empire. You might know of their runelords, wizards of such staggering might that they had powers unknown even to the time now.' "

Jake taps the table. "One runelord for each of the seven sins. But did you know, that the runelords during Earthfall were not all the same runelords as when they first started ruling? Should another wizard gain more favor with Lissala and managed to depose the current Runelord, they could take his place. Krune was very good about that. He created a new version of the spell 'Trap the Soul' in which the body was still separate from the trapped soul. Then forcibly Astral Projected the previous Runelord of Sloth into another realm. Should the prior Runelord die, it would shatter his body and soul back in Golarion."

Something seems to freeze each of you to your seats, unable to move, Justin even unable to reach the controls of his chair.

Jake smiles at you all, standing. "I know you all joked around about creating your own demi-planes with faster times. Do you know how that works? The more magic in a plane, the faster time flows. Here, for example, in the Earth plane, magic is almost nil. Over ten thousand years could pass on a normal magic plane and here, barely two decades. Did you know, I was adopted?"

A wave of his hand, and you all find your heads free but the rest of your bodies still motionless.

Don't be stupid.

19. - Top - End - #19

Scott shakes his head at Jake, "Its just my luck to find the only dm this side of the rockies thats crazy, unless you mean what you say." His face seems to light up as he tries to break free of the bonds. "Is it true?" He sounds almost excited.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Justin

Fear and anger seethed through his body. It was happening all over again. He had just began accepting his predicament but now this. Once able to speak Justin starts a continuous stream of cursing and threats, deaf to any response.

Spoiler
    Show

Someone want to slap him quiet?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Dale looked around in alarm, his mind racing for an explanation. Drugged food? He hadn't eaten anything since getting here, same for drinks. Something in the air? Didn't explain why Jake could move. Magic? That simply couldn't be possible... Could it?

Trying to keep calm, Dale spoke in a level voice "Jake, come on man, what've you done to us?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I think "Slapping him quiet" might not work so well when only our heads can move

Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Jake nods to Scott before stepping around to Justin. "You know, half the reason for this entire thing is your legs. I don't have access to healing spells and creatures called in implode from lack of magic. So I'm going to have to put you where you can be healed."

He grins at the others. "Of course, it is only half my reasoning. Would you like to hear the rest of it?"

Don't be stupid.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Aaron was getting a little bit pissed, not just because this wasn't like jake at all. No, it was also because he couldn't move his arms at all to grab his beer. "What the hell Jake? This isn't like you at all! Aaron paid no mind to Justin at the moment only because he had no way to slap him.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

"Normally Aaron, you'd be right. This isn't anything like you've ever seen me do. But Krune is dead, and no other Runelord has taken his place. The bindings on my soul have weakened, and given me much of my magic back."

Jake grins at them all. "Now, remember you did agree to hear the old wizard's tale. Of your own free will." He sits back down at the table. "I am going to do the same thing to you all that was done to me, except I am going to project your souls into Golarion, using your character sheets there as the focus. You will, in essence, become your character. You will need to find my body and release me from here, or find your own way back. Either way, upon your return here all the magics and power you gain there will reflect back here."

"I suspect that the Dragon-Tooth Spear, the artifact of the Runelord of Sloth, knows where my body is. Though it is currently in the hands of the Decimverate of the Pathfinder Society."

Don't be stupid.

25. - Top - End - #25

Scott seems off in his own world, thinking of all the possibilities. "You can make us dissapear, leave this world behind and never have to deal with the people in it again? Where would we go, how would we get there?" Scott starts spouting off questions, his mind flying through different ideas. "What are you waiting for, send us from here, give me Xal's body and hell, it all comes down to: 'Mr. Corleone never asks a second favor once he's refused the first, understood?'."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Dale listens in disbelief to Jake's tale, and in surprise to Scott's eager acceptance of it. "You've both lost it... Look, enough messing around, Jake you've had your fun, very amusing, now let us go. Scott, stop and think, why are you so eager to be someone else? For that matter, what makes you think this is even something that can happen? There's no such thing as magic!"

Dale had gradually been getting louder throughout his speech, the stress of suddenly being paralysed, and his friends apparent insanity, pushing him to his limits.

Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Scott smiled a sad smile, shaking his head as he listens to Dale. "A man names Lau Tzu once said that life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes and resisting them only causes sorrow, if Jake can send us to a better place than this hell-hole called America, I'm all for it, isn't that the point of Pathfinder, getting away from your life for a few hours? I've been locked in a house for most of my life, this is freedom."
    Last edited by flagisthief; 2013-09-10 at 12:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Justice

He was out of breath, his tirade over, Justin is able to comprehend what is being said to him. "You can heal my legs..." he asks with a mixture of skepticism and hope.

He shock his head, whether or not Jake was for real, Justin thought it was best to at least pay his game, "So what do we have to do there?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Jake looked Justin over. "As I said, somewhere there is my actual body, locked away somewhere. Find it and end the spell holding my soul here. Once you do, I will return there. I can then either summon your bodies completely into Golarion if you wish to stay, or send your souls back to your bodies here, with whatever power you've managed to accumulate."

He motions to the character sheets. "I would give you more power if I could, but the spell will fail if I manipulate your souls beyond a certain point. You'll have to grow into the power those sheets can come to represent."

Don't be stupid.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Being somewhat confused and skeptical as Dale was, Aaron just couldn't believe it himself. "... All this talk about power and how we can either choose to stay there or come back here with that power, it just doesn't make any sense and i've been apart of Jake's campaign's for awhile" Aaron stated while talking as if Jake wasn't truly there and this was some prank by some stranger.