New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: OotS Style Art/Fanart Showcase VI

Hats and masks everywhere!

@Ninjaman
    Yep, like that Thanks for the explanation too.

@Gnomish
    I like the hat a fair bit, the colors work well with one another.. that's as a whole, but I had to comment on the hat.

And while I'm here, I may as well post something I've done recently.

It's a halfling druid resting upon her dire tiger, who's also napping. If you recognize the halfling, she's in the signature of Malak'ai. I secretly took up the project (Malak'ai knew though).
    I've been in a rut lately, haven't done much of anything art-wise.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Ah, the argument. One wonders what they're fighting about.
    About their son (A.K.A. the teenage boy secretly listening to them around the corner). Dad gets home from traveling, doesn't like the way Mom was raising son, Mom says due to the fact that he was gone he gets no say, fighting ensues.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Wanderer View Post
    Hello, artist folks. I am back to the playground, unsure how long, but figured I'd try to get all up and active in here again. Showing off my latest work, first off.

What do you think?
    Squeeeee! Gnomish is back!
    I would lower the hat a bit more onto her head.
    My pronouns are they/them, but I don't care much.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Hello, artist folks. I am back to the playground, unsure how long, but figured I'd try to get all up and active in here again. Showing off my latest work, first off.
    Gnomish Wanderer, good to see you!
    Quote Originally Posted by asdflove View Post
    About their son (A.K.A. the teenage boy secretly listening to them around the corner). Dad gets home from traveling, doesn't like the way Mom was raising son, Mom says due to the fact that he was gone he gets no say, fighting ensues.
    Ah, the domestic argument. Unfortunate.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hello everyone. I'm back, but not likely for long, as school starts again this week.

I have a few new things. However, the difference is that I used a vector program for the very first time to make these.

Until now, I've always used some kind of raster program to make avatars. At first it was quite a struggle to get used to vectors, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. It has certainly given me appreciation for all the work that vector artists do around here. Thoughts?

The main thing I missed from raster graphics was probably the paint bucket tool. The methods for adding fills for complex linework is certainly more convoluted in vectors.

These next ones are exported bigger to bring out the detail.

Spoiler: Christmas Canines spoiler'd for size
    Show

About this last one... It's also Malak'ai's request. Gurgleflep did say he took on the request secretly. And it just so happened that I also decided to do it at the same time. You don't mind, do you Gurgle?

@Gnomish: If I had to add further comments on Ronin!Gnomish, it would be that the tiny red markings (stitching?) and the gold fastenings on her shirt are too small to be clearly recognizable at avatar size. That said, I also agree with everyone that the hat should sit lower.

The beauty of vector graphics is that they are nigh infinitely scalable. I find that making your canvas/artboard 120x120px from the beginning helps to avoid making too-fine details. However, I can't say if Inkscape allows this, as I'm more familiar with Illustrator.

@JDarkshadow: It's pretty good for a beginner. The first tip I can give is that the character's body is too long and legs a little short for Burlewian stick figure proportions. For that, the body height of the standard human male is about *0.65 relative to the head height size. So if your head is 100px tall, then the body should be about 65 to 68px tall.

Also, if you posted your creation outside a spoiler box, it might have gotten more attention.

5. - Top - End - #365

HalfOrcPirate

Nope, I don't mind one bit :P Nothing wrong with a friendly avatar-off between avatarists :)
    I must say, yours is... Wow, mind blown!

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems like the winter vacations are over; or aren't they yet and now people start to tear their hair out from boredom?

I'm also intending to get back to a bit of drawing since I've been basically dead for at least 6 months, the only significant thing I remember doing was the Golden Witch Beatrice, Battler and Kinzo from the Umineko series. And the adjustment of Beatrice to fit an avatar request.

So I started of with a character I can more or less draw in my sleep, Saber from Fate/SN - but I made her sit down since I'm awful at drawing sitting characters.

A second thing I required myself to do was to record everything I draw since it makes all my time-sinks glaringly obvious ("I spent that much time on something I didn't even use?!"). It also seemed to entertain some people the last time I did it, so why not share?

So here is the video of me drawing Saber sitting down; http://youtu.be/RVikI8UzKek

I also did record my tweaking of Beatrice so I decided to upload that too; http://youtu.be/fAYrQzglPv8

---

Quote Originally Posted by JDarkshadow View Post
    Made my avatar for GITP.

like?

Spoiler
    Show
    *Image*
    Quite well done; other than what Kurien pointed out I'd mention that the arms and legs usually don't have a sharp bend at the elbow/knee but a "smoothish" curve.
    What program do you use, does it have an option to export with a transparent background? It would make the avatar look nicer on message-boards that don't have your chosen background-colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Thanks. Like this?

*Image*

As for what it is, he is a chaos apostle/priest/cleric/something like that, and he is wearing a (half) mask.
    I'd probably argue for slightly longer feet, even now - and perhaps have them pointing more to the sides of the pictures than they do now. (more horizontal)
    ...I think that is the more standard way of drawing them.

*Image*

What do you think?
    It is nice, I don't think I have much to add from the other posters regarding the hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurien View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm back, but not likely for long, as school starts again this week.

I have a few new things. However, the difference is that I used a vector program for the very first time to make these.

Until now, I've always used some kind of raster program to make avatars. At first it was quite a struggle to get used to vectors, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. It has certainly given me appreciation for all the work that vector artists do around here. Thoughts?

*Image*

The main thing I missed from raster graphics was probably the paint bucket tool. The methods for adding fills for complex linework is certainly more convoluted in vectors.

*Image*

These next ones are exported bigger to bring out the detail.

Spoiler: Christmas Canines spoiler'd for size
    Show
    *image*

*image*

*Image*

About this last one... It's also Malak'ai's request. Gurgleflep did say he took on the request secretly. And it just so happened that I also decided to do it at the same time. You don't mind, do you Gurgle?

@Gnomish: If I had to add further comments on Ronin!Gnomish, it would be that the tiny red markings (stitching?) and the gold fastenings on her shirt are too small to be clearly recognizable at avatar size. That said, I also agree with everyone that the hat should sit lower.

The beauty of vector graphics is that they are nigh infinitely scalable. I find that making your canvas/artboard 120x120px from the beginning helps to avoid making too-fine details. However, I can't say if Inkscape allows this, as I'm more familiar with Illustrator.

@JDarkshadow: It's pretty good for a beginner. The first tip I can give is that the character's body is too long and legs a little short for Burlewian stick figure proportions. For that, the body height of the standard human male is about *0.65 relative to the head height size. So if your head is 100px tall, then the body should be about 65 to 68px tall.

Also, if you posted your creation outside a spoiler box, it might have gotten more attention.
    Really well drawn as usual Kurien.
    What is the convoluted way you use to fill in complex linework? It might be possible that we know a way which is faster. Or not - but then we know.
    Personally I found Illustrator a bit clunky for Oots, but it is probably due to the fact that I learned to draw on Inkscape so any other way than the Inkscape way seems odd.

Inkscape can also change the canvas size to whatever size you prefer, for those who don't know the path is "File -> Document properties". Personally I just make a rectangle with 120px sides as a reference, same thing - more work.

The dog-sleigh is really cute, but I think it looks quite stiff at the moment. In life those beams of wood the dogs are attached to would probably move slightly so they aren't completely parallel. The shadows of the dogs also seem slightly misaligned compared to that of the sleigh (which I suppose could indicate that they are turning though).
    Last edited by Elder Tsofu; 2014-01-06 at 03:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Did a female apostle-thing as well, thoughts?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Did a female apostle-thing as well, thoughts?
    What's it holding, precious?
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    What's it holding, precious?
    Shadow magic. Might try to do a better version at some point.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #370
    Barbarian in the Playground

Welp, I think this is as good a time as any to reveal something I've been working on. It is a reference sheet to show different fantasy races as depicted in Burlewian style (with a little interpretation on my part as well).

Think of them as racial templates, although I don't plan on using them like that.

I think I covered a good portion of the races I've seen people have avatars for, but I'm still missing: Squid-thingies, Bugbears, some sort of Crow Tengu, non-specific Snake People, Dryads, Insectoids (like Buggy Lou's slavers), Frogs and Warforged.

Can you think of other races that could be stickified?

@Eldeer Tsofu:
    Same to you, I can't stop studying Beatrice's dress.
    I have watched some of your recordings, and count me impressed with your work flow, focus and efficiency. Relative efficiency, compared to how fast I work. If it was I doing a drawing session recording, I think I'd have to speed up the video at least 15 times to reduce the video to 25 minutes.

In your videos, I notice that you colour your lineart by creating shapes separate from the lines to use as fills, and those shapes are blocked in rapidly with no node handles. That is probably the most efficient way to do it, but something about that doesn't sit well with me. It's probably because I'm originally a raster user, and that method seems rather inexact or something.

The method I've been using involves a tool found in Illustrator called the Live Paint Bucket Tool. It works sort of like the paint bucket tool in Paint/Photoshop, but dealing with vector objects. I mostly have trouble keeping track of all the objects it creates, the need to group/ungroup multiple vector groups, etc.

I see what you mean about the dog-sleigh, but since that piece is no longer in use I'll put off fixing it for now.

Great, now I'm imagining what you would look like as an anthropomorphic Cervid.

@Ninjaman:
    I really like that you're experimenting with lineless shapes, but mixing them with lined shaped looks sort of jarring or mismatched. Also, the hair barette(?) would be barely identifiable at avatar size.

If these last two are meant to be avatars (and assuming you use vector), might I suggest working from an avatar-size canvas from the beginning? It helps to see your work at the size they're meant to be viewed.

If you do go full-on outlineless, then it helps to have a solid black outline for just the silhouette border. Think of the visual style of cell-shaded video games.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

Welp, I think this is as good a time as any to reveal something I've been working on. It is a reference sheet to show different fantasy races as depicted in Burlewian style (with a little interpretation on my part as well).

Think of them as racial templates, although I don't plan on using them like that.

*Image*

I think I covered a good portion of the races I've seen people have avatars for, but I'm still missing: Squid-thingies, Bugbears, some sort of Crow Tengu, non-specific Snake People, Dryads, Insectoids (like Buggy Lou's slavers), Frogs and Warforged.

@Eldeer Tsofu:
    Same to you, I can't stop studying Beatrice's dress.
    I have watched some of your recordings, and count me impressed with your work flow, focus and efficiency. Relative efficiency, compared to how fast I work. If it was I doing a drawing session recording, I think I'd have to speed up the video at least 15 times to reduce the video to 25 minutes.

In your videos, I notice that you colour your lineart by creating shapes separate from the lines to use as fills, and those shapes are blocked in rapidly with no node handles. That is probably the most efficient way to do it, but something about that doesn't sit well with me. It's probably because I'm originally a raster user, and that method seems rather inexact or something.

The method I've been using involves a tool found in Illustrator called the Live Paint Bucket Tool. It works sort of like the paint bucket tool in Paint/Photoshop, but dealing with vector objects. I mostly have trouble keeping track of all the objects it creates, the need to group/ungroup multiple vector groups, etc.

I see what you mean about the dog-sleigh, but since that piece is no longer in use I'll put off fixing it for now.

Great, now I'm imagining what you would look like as an anthropomorphic Cervid.

@Ninjaman:
    I really like that you're experimenting with lineless shapes, but mixing them with lined shaped looks sort of jarring or mismatched. Also, the hair barette(?) would be barely identifiable at avatar size.

If these last two are meant to be avatars (and assuming you use vector), might I suggest working from an avatar-size canvas from the beginning? It helps to see your work at the size they're meant to be viewed.

If you do go full-on outlineless, then it helps to have a solid black outline for just the silhouette border. Think of the visual style of cell-shaded video games.
    I see what you did deer.

Nice reference sheet, the other I've seen around is almost pre-historical - perhaps even as old as you are on this forum.
    Time for some change.

Races, just typical fantasy ones?
    ... trolls perhaps, gnomes, vampires, pixies, harpies, centaurs, satyrs, spiders, spirits, ghosts, genies, demons/devils, dragons...

Indeed, I use shapes as fill. Inkscape does have a bucket-option too but since I felt it didn't fill well into sharp corners I abandoned it. The other way is the standard fill, just to make objects with end-nodes that connect and assign the fill colour to that object (works with non-connected paths too but the resulting fill is partial).

The thing I like with using shapes as fill is that it gives me freedom, I can add things beneath the line but above the fill and use partial fills to cover up some lines underneath but not others.
    And when you've started filling you can get messier with the nodes as long as you have a fill next to it since you can hide part of the new fill beneath the old fill. Although I realize that this messiness is part of your aversion to the technique.

It took me a minute to realize what you referred to with the anthropomorphic thing - I had forgotten about my dog-avatar.

Edit:
    Btw how is the speed on the videos I've made? I can probably increase it quite a bit more but at that point you wont be able to see the cursor.
    Last edited by Elder Tsofu; 2014-01-07 at 03:34 AM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    I see what you did deer.

Nice reference sheet, the other I've seen around is almost pre-historical - perhaps even as old as you are on this forum.
    Time for some change.

Races, just typical fantasy ones?
    ... trolls perhaps, gnomes, vampires, pixies, harpies, centaurs, satyrs, spiders, spirits, ghosts, genies, demons/devils, dragons...
    *shuffles in*
    You guys' stuff is awesome.
    Also, minotaurs. Which don't get much attention but still.
    That is all.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I gave in.

Anybody want a homestuck avvie that's not The Sufferer/Kurloz/John?
    Last edited by Crimmy : Tomorrow at 26:72 DM.

Spoiler
    Show

Iron Avatarist has gone on hiatus. Give me your feedback, please
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374

HalfOrcPirate

Crimmy... What's Homestuck?

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gurgleflep View Post
    Crimmy... What's Homestuck?
    An extremely long webcomic with a few unique (although IMHO not very appealing) character designs, most notably the pure white faces and candy-corn horns. And super-long hoods.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    An extremely long webcomic That has more than just text and image, it deals with games, animation, music, tropes with a few unique (although IMHO not very appealing) character designs, most notably the pure white faces and candy-corn horns and monsters with unique designs, and a simplistic style for adults, and some interesting use of contrast, colors, shades and hues. And super-long hoods.And capes, skirts, shorts, shirts, tees, tuxes.
    Instead of the obvious "I recommend you read it" I actually recommend you look it up for a bit and give yourself some essence to judge, instead of simplifying what is a much more complex theme. You know, like LDK above me.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Tarmi-face.

I accidently exported him a bit large, but I'm too lazy to reopen inkscape to reexport him smaller.

Yrago, the raging, yet Pinkie Pie-ish, Dragonborn Goliath. He was fun.
    Last edited by asdflove; 2014-01-11 at 01:54 PM.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy View Post
    Instead of the obvious "I recommend you read it" I actually recommend you look it up for a bit and give yourself some essence to judge, instead of simplifying what is a much more complex theme. You know, like LDK above me.
    Hey, I never said it wasn't good, I was just pointing out what most people use to identify it with. I have read a few hundred pages of it.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, I never said it wasn't good, I was just pointing out what most people use to identify it with. I have read a few hundred pages of it.
    I'd recommend actually reading what I said. Read it over, then check if I said you said it wasn't good.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry if my "explanation" was incredibly unhelpful. I was going to simply say that it's a long webcomic, but then I decided that no one would mind if I also mentioned my opinion on its identifying features. My second post was written to reassure you that despite said post being a complete oversimplification as you said, I was not attempting to bash the comic as a whole. I'm sorry if I've been offensive, I just have a habit of being clunky in writing sometimes.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sorry if my "explanation" was incredibly unhelpful. I was going to simply say that it's a long webcomic, but then I decided that no one would mind if I also mentioned my opinion on its identifying features. My second post was written to reassure you that despite said post being a complete oversimplification as you said, I was not attempting to bash the comic as a whole. I'm sorry if I've been offensive, I just have a habit of being clunky in writing sometimes.
    Your writing's fine.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

My second post was written to reassure you that despite said post being a complete oversimplification as you said, I was not attempting to bash the comic as a whole. I'm sorry if I've been offensive
    As TaiLiu said, your writing is fine. You weren't actually offensive. I do, however, dislike having to explain what I said when what I have said is perfectly clear, something that doesn't have a hidden meaning or a deeper reflective idea.
    Or when somebody puts words in my mouth that I never said.

The thing is, when somebody actually asks about something, you should always give as much clear and un-biased info as you can. If you find it to be too long (which it is), then you say so (and you did). If you say it's just "an extremely long webcomic" you're giving the person asking a bit of info that might deter them to look for said comic. (who knows if they'd like it, and your opinion makes it look so disregarding that they decide not to, and miss out on something?)

--------
    asdflove:
    There's something weird about that Dragonborn. I'd say it's the teeth, but I'm not sure.

The girl's cape looks nice, I like those details on the bottom, the button holding it in place. And that braid in her hair looks really good.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #383

HalfOrcPirate

I read through about 20 or so comics last night, and aside from the colors and artwork it's pretty decent. It has a similar feel to Prequel... probably `cause Prequel's layout is based off of Homestuck's Thank you everybody

Anyway, artsy stuff!
    Ninjaman, that's a lot of purple! I love the mask and outfit. The two I've seen you post are both magic users, correct? I'd very much like to see your take on a melee character

Kurien, the templates are awesome I love that you put a goatee on the dwarven woman and even managed to get a womanly figure for the kobold Can't wait to see more races and such from ya!

asdflove, how do you get the hair to stay pointy-tipped? Mine always does the square-ended thing so I just give it rounded edges.
    The braid on the gal is awesome diggin' the color scheme as well, and I like her dog.
    The dragonborn... Other than the fact it looks cool, I don't really know what to say about that as I know next to nothing about the template or the base race.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Colossus in the Playground

I like my new avatar. I like it a lot.

Technically, it's supposed to be Okarin from Stein's Gate. I only noticed after I finished it that it looks a lot like my old avatar.

I guess I have a type.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy View Post
    asdflove:
    There's something weird about that Dragonborn. I'd say it's the teeth, but I'm not sure.

The girl's cape looks nice, I like those details on the bottom, the button holding it in place. And that braid in her hair looks really good.
    The person whose character it is said he liked the teeth especially, so I'm leaving it.
    The girl is actually an art upgrade.
    Remember this?

asdflove, how do you get the hair to stay pointy-tipped? Mine always does the square-ended thing so I just give it rounded edges.
    The braid on the gal is awesome diggin' the color scheme as well, and I like her dog.
    The dragonborn... Other than the fact it looks cool, I don't really know what to say about that as I know next to nothing about the template or the base race.
    Raise the miter limit.
    Spoiler
    Show

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #386

HalfOrcPirate

Many thanks You've helped out more than you know, but I'll never admit it :P I'm a jerk that way.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

The person whose character it is said he liked the teeth especially, so I'm leaving it.
    Wise call.

The girl is actually an art upgrade.
    Remember this?
    Emphasis on upgrade

EDIT:
    We have a new IA
    Last edited by Crimmy; 2014-01-09 at 11:10 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I like my new avatar. I like it a lot.

Technically, it's supposed to be Okarin from Stein's Gate. I only noticed after I finished it that it looks a lot like my old avatar.

I guess I have a type.
    I saw it the other day, it is certainly not perfect but damn if it doesn't got personality to weigh up for it.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Many thanks You've helped out more than you know, but I'll never admit it :P I'm a jerk that way.
    It's not a problem.
    But you did admit it, in white text, so you're not a jerk (though I don't see how throwing a screenshot at you helped that much...)

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #390

HalfOrcPirate

It's not a problem.
    But you did admit it, in white text, so you're not a jerk (though I don't see how throwing a screenshot at you helped that much...)
    It's not the first time you've helped me out. If memory serves right, you also told me how to do the rounded corners and how to put caps on line, how the layering works so I can do shading (I suck at it and haven't posted anything ), and quite a few other things.

Guys and gals... I've started up another batch! It's the one thing I've actually made a template for... for something so simple, they gained popularity fast Necro and fire goblin are still being tweaked.
    Spoiler: Goblins!
    Show
    Last edited by gurgleflep; 2014-01-10 at 07:39 PM.